The Perfect Way by PokerChips
Summary: Jim proposes in the perfect way.

Categories: Future, Jim and Pam Characters: Jim, Jim/Pam
Genres: Fluff, Oneshot, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1034 Read: 2157 Published: December 12, 2007 Updated: December 12, 2007
Story Notes:

So I know there are a few proposal stories already on here, but i wanted to write one and I couldn't get this idea out of my head.
The proposal comes from what I think is the most romantic of all the proposals in the Movie Runaway Bride (if you've seen it, then you should be able to spot it)

A HUGE thanks to AvilaGrace who beta'd this. I bow down before you.

Disclaimer: Don't own anything, not even a copy of Runaway Bride. 

Chapter 1 by PokerChips
Jim rolled the ring in between his fingers, watching as the diamond caught the light streaming in from the large bay window of the bedroom. The ring itself was simple and beautiful; it was a round cut brilliant diamond with a channel-set white gold band. The minute he saw the ring, he knew it was meant to be on Pam's finger forever. He had purchased it almost a month ago but still had yet to ask Pam what would be the most important question of his life.

When he had decided that he was going to propose at the beginning of April, Jim went to the Beesly's behind Pam's back to ask them if he could marry their daughter. The conversation was amusing as Jim thought back on it. He had been so nervous about it all; he was scared that they would think he was rushing into it, but Mr. and Mrs. Beesly shared amused expressions as they whole-heartedly agreed to let Jim marry their daughter. While he was there he found out from Mrs. Beesly more details on how Roy had proposed to Pam. Apparently, after their anniversary dinner, Roy had gotten own on one knee and asked, "Pam, will you do me the honour of being my wife?" The thought of proposing in any way like Roy sickened Jim; he'd have to come up with something creative and unforgettable. Now almost at the start of May and Jim still had the ring hidden in his sock drawer.

Sitting on the edge of the bed looking at the ring, Jim thought about the many ideas that had flashed through his head about how he would propose to Pam. He wanted it to be done in the perfect way. He liked some; some were a little too cheesy and others were just not them. Looking around the room trying to get new ideas Jim's eyes settled on the sketch tacked up to the corkboard that Pam had done of Jim and Dwight impersonating each other. He chuckled, thinking about the day that Pam sat staring at the computer drawing Dwight as himself, and then how she forced him to put on his Dwight costume so she could sketch him. Remembering how much she loved art, Jim knew he had to combine art with his proposal.

He wasn't artistic at all, but he knew there was a way he could combine the two. Walking to his desk, he spotted a flyer for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and he remembered that Pam mentioned that she wanted to go to the museum since she hadn't been in a few years and wanted to check out the new exhibits. It was perfect; he would take her to the museum; they would spend the day walking around, gazing at the masterpieces that the museum held. He would make a reservation at a nearby restaurant; they would have a delicious meal filled with the playful banter that was a mix of flirtatious cruelty and love, and then he would take her back to the Met and propose to her on the steps. It was perfect: art, a delicious meal, a beautiful city and Pam.

He was opening his computer to look for a hotel and restaurant when he heard the creaking of the stairs. Thinking about the proposal, Jim had spaced out and forgotten that Pam was bringing the last of her stuff into what would now be their loft. He pocketed the ring and opened the door to see Pam standing on the landing. Hands on her hips she was giving Jim what could only be described as an angry face trying to cover a smile.
"Are you going to help or what Halpert?"
"I'm coming, I'm coming."
Walking down the stairs he kissed her forehead as he passed. Lugging the boxes into the living room gave him time to think more about the proposal. He still had to pick a day, and he had to find a way to get Michael to give them a Friday off since they had already used all their vacation days. Two hours later and Jim was bringing in the last of the boxes. Placing the last two boxes on the ground Pam collapsed onto the floor and leaned her back on the couch. Jim stood looking down at Pam. Her eyes were closed; her cheeks were rosy from the work; her hair was slightly falling out of the loose bun she had and there was the hint of a smile on her lips. She was as beautiful. His heart almost burst with the emotions he felt in that moment. Pam was moved in; she was happy; he was happy and in love, and he knew this was it.

"Hey Pam"
"Yeah?" Her eyes slid open and a small yawn escaped her lips.
"I was thinking..." His right hand reached into his pocket and he felt the cool ring. He forgot he had it there; it was the second time that day he had forgotten something important.
"Never a good sign, Halpert." She laughed; and he let out a nervous chuckle, and his left hand scratched behind his neck, a sure sign he was nervous.
"I was thinking -- well how about -- so, uh -- maybe we should, you know. What do you think?" He couldn't get the question out

Pam was staring at him; his posture expressed his nerves. She looked in his eyes, searching for an answer. His hand pulled out of his pocket in a fist; she glanced at what he held and then flicked her eyes back up to his face. His eyes expressed his feelings; they said for him what he couldn't seem to say out loud. Her chin quivered like she was going to cry, but her lips curved into a smile that reached her eyes.
"Yes" She whispered
Jim's eyes widened.
"Yes." She repeated and jumped up into Jim's arms. Their lips met and though the kiss was chaste, it again conveyed the answer. He pulled back and slipped the diamond ring onto her finger and pulled her in for a more passionate kiss and it was really the perfect way to propose.

End Notes:

All reviews are welcome.

Oh and thanks again to AvilaGrace, without her this probably would have sucked.

Here is what the ring looks like:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x263/tanjastar/Rings.jpg

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3005