Being Perfect, Being Them by DeeDee
Summary: The end of Jim and Pam's first date.
Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Fluff, Oneshot, Romance
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 646 Read: 3438 Published: June 14, 2008 Updated: June 14, 2008
Chapter 1 by DeeDee
"Hey."

"Hey."

They looked at each other, looked in opposite directions, looked at each other again, and laughed.

"Oh, my God, this is awful. This is so not us," she said.

"Right, because we are not awful."

"We are awesome."

"Exactly."

And that's how their first date began: the awkward silence, the swift return to their usual selves, the grabbing of her purse, the cheery goodbye waves to the camera crew, and the walk to his car. Now they were here, full of Italian food, parked outside her apartment.

"You know what the best part about tonight was?" he said. He reached for her hand, and even that small privilege felt hugely significant. "It didn't even feel like a date. I mean... I don't mean it wasn't special, I meant--"

"I know what you meant. It was great." She looked to the side, then laughed.

"What?"

"Do you ever... Okay, this is so stupid. Do you ever catch yourself, like, away from the office and looking off to give the camera a reaction shot? As if it's going to be there? I do that all the time."

"They have doctors for that. In fact--" He took out his wallet and flipped through it. "I have the name of one in here somewhere, because I do it, too."

"Do you want to come in?"

He had definitely not expected that. He felt suddenly conscious of his blood pounding in his ears. He lowered his wallet and looked at her. "You know I do. Do you want me to come in?"

She smiled in that shy way of hers. He had never seen a woman with a prettier smile than hers, and he didn't believe he was biased in thinking so. "Yeah. I just don't want things to be weird," she said.

"Nothing's been weird so far, has it? It's just been... us."

"It's been perfect."

"Exactly."

Her apartment was pretty much as he'd imagined it would be, very warm and casual, slightly messy. She had lots of photographs.

"There's one thing we need to get out of the way," he said after she closed the door behind them. "I'm going to need to see your high school yearbook."

Her mouth fell open in disbelief and laughter. "No! There is no way I'm showing you that!"

"It's only fair. C'mon. Bring it out, Beesly."

They kicked off their shoes and sat together on her sofa. He draped his arm around her shoulders, and she settled against him, and he checked off an item on his mental list, Things I Desperately Want to Do. She pointed out her school picture, which was bad, as these things always must be. But it was adorably bad, from the glasses to the bored, lopsided smile.

"Wow."

"Yeah." She laughed. "Are we even now?"

"Absolutely."

She closed the book and set it aside, then looked up at him. "So... I didn't want to bring this up, but... Karen? I mean, are you two...?"

"It's over. I guess there'll be one more Talk to tie up loose ends, but no, that's over."

"What about the job at corporate?"

"It lacks a big incentive that the Scranton branch offers." He shifted more towards her and kissed her, amazed at how comfortable it was to hold her. She slid his jacket from his shoulders and rested one hand on the back of his neck, her fingers threading into his hair.

"I should have told you that night," she said softly, "that I'm in love with you, too. I have been for a long time."

They didn't sleep together that night. Well, they slept together. Her bed was small, and they fell asleep pressed against each other, looking at each other, whispering and giggling and kissing until late. Being them, being perfect. And in the morning, they woke up and smiled at each other.

"Jim."

"Pam."

---------------------
End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3689