Flawless by SixFlightsUp
Summary: All of a sudden the sky was violet and the grass was red. Dwight was pleasant and you knew nothing.
Categories: Present, Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Inner Monologue
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 492 Read: 1975 Published: February 02, 2007 Updated: February 02, 2007
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

I have to thank Dudders and peskipiksi over at TWoP for the AMAZING beta job! Thank you both so much!

1. Chapter 1 by SixFlightsUp

Chapter 1 by SixFlightsUp

She'd always existed to you in one form. Engaged. Taken.

 

But not married.

 

It was comfortable. You hated that about her, but it was always just another trait you'd always known, accepted. It was her flaw. Like knuckle cracking. Like an obnoxious laugh.

 

She had a ring and an oaf of a fiancé.

 

You've realized that you probably fell so hard for her because of that flaw, because she was unattainable. If you hadn't tried so hard to stop yourself, if you hadn't been so desperate to only be her friend... Would you be here now? You can't bear to answer that.

 

But, whether regardless of or because of that flaw, you fell for her. Hard. As if it never even mattered.

 

Did it really?

 

And you knew, you just knew, that she had fallen for you too. It was a fact, part of the way you viewed the world. The sky was blue and the grass was green. Paper was a dead end job and Dwight was a moron. You were in love with her and she was in love with you. Unspoken, but accepted by all.

 

Or so you thought.

 

But you'd misinterpreted. You'd misinterpreted something so basic in your understanding of the world and all of a sudden the sky was violet and the grass was red. Dwight was pleasant and you knew nothing.

 

So you ran.

 

Because, really, what else can you do when the sky could fall on you at any minute?

 

But you're back now and she's flawless, even though she always was to you. And you keep your distance. Nothing to interpret from afar. But you know you can't. You feel yourself falling all over again. Because above all else, she was your best friend. And you miss her.

 

But how do you disentangle love and friendship when they've always existed as a single entity? Are you still friends without that? Can you even be? Do you want to be? You'd decide, but you think that that would involve interpretation. And you can't interpret anything anymore because the sky is still on the ground.

 

But then she comes to you one day, with a face you wore not so long ago. And she tells you she's sorry and that she lied. And she wished she never hurt you. And you didn't misinterpret a thing.

 

And she's hesitant and she's scared. The world rights itself and you're standing on the ground for the first time in months. She waits and you move towards her. Your lips touch. It's familiar and true and electric. And the world turns on its head again, but she's holding you tight and you can't bring yourself to care about the rest of the world.



End Notes:
Thanks so much for reading! I was pretty nervous about posting this and would appreciate hearing from you if you actually enjoyed it!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1044