Crapulence, Divulgence, and Other After-Effects of Drinking by GreenFish
Summary: Post-Cocktails. Many, many truths are revealed.

Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Episode Related Characters: Ensemble, Jim/Pam, Karen, Roy
Genres: Angst, Humor, Romance, Workdays
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 8626 Read: 14369 Published: February 26, 2007 Updated: March 02, 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. What have I done to deserve this? by GreenFish

2. Was it worth it? by GreenFish

3. Left to my own devices by GreenFish

What have I done to deserve this? by GreenFish
Author's Notes:
Spoilers up to "Cocktails," US 03X17. This is a post-episode fic. Sort of my personal self-indulgence, if you will. This is first of two parts.

===

"Michael, you're late." Dwight immediately jumped out of his desk at the sight of Michael quickly veering past Pam's desk and into his office. Michael was usually "late," as in, he arrived around 9:30 am, when everyone else arrived by 9 am or earlier. Today, however, Michael was exceptionally late. It was 10:45 am.

"I don't want to talk about it, Dwight. I had a personal emergency at home."

"Incontinence?"

"God -- Dwight -- no, I mean --"

"Three out of five Americans over the age of fifty experience it at some point, Michael."

"Dwight, seriously. How old do you think I am?"

"I don't know," Dwight started to say. "Forty-two..."

"Barely, just -- get out of my office, jeez." Michael literally shoved Dwight out while closing the door on him. He looked at the camera, and gave it a sheepish smile.

===

"Seriously. It hasn't been the best morning." Michael frowned at the camera. He glanced to the side. "Um. My Wake-n-Bacon malfunctioned, and caused a small fire... I mean, honestly. Who makes a bacon-cooking alarm clock out of wood, anyway? Not really ... the best idea."

===

"Did you hear Michael's bed caught on fire this morning?" Pam leaned against the counter in the kitchen, waiting for her cup of water in the microwave to heat up. She swung a tea bag, suspended from a string, around in circles.

Jim couldn't stop staring at it. He glanced up at Pam, realizing what she'd just said. "Wait -- what? He set his bed on fire? How?"

Pam chuckled. "Well, he bought some new alarm clock off eBay called the Wake-n-Bacon."

They both tittered at that, remembering Michael's previous disaster involving bacon and a certain George Foreman grill.

"And ... apparently ... it kind of malfunctioned and caught on fire."

"Wait ... seriously, how does an alarm clock catch on fire, Pam?"

"Well, I guess it's not just an alarm clock. I know this, because Michael put me in charge of ordering it, since," Pam made a face, "he can't navigate his way around e-mail, let alone eBay. Instead of an actual alarm, about ten minutes before your "alarm" would go off --" Pam made the air quotes, "-- it starts cooking bacon, so that you wake up to the smell of freshly-cooked bacon."

"Of course," Jim said, nodding. "It's so perfectly Michael."

"Yes," Pam said, smiling at him. For the first time in weeks, she felt a warmth spread through her. How much did she just want this back? This easy banter, this friendship, the joking? She missed that. She missed Jim. Ever since... well, she tried not to think about it, but ever since Karen had brought up the fact that Jim and her had talked about "them," (that was, Jim and Pam), well -- things hadn't been the same. In fact, she almost thought they were both avoiding her lately. It was so nice to be able to just talk to Jim again.

Michael was an easy subject.

"Anyway," Pam continued, "so, the alarm clock is made out of wood, and apparently, something short-circuited, or -- I don't know, and it caught on fire."

Jim's eyes went wide. Pam's face broke out into a grin.

"Yes!" she said. "And the fire spread to Michael's bed, and apparently, he tried putting it out with water, which only made it worse--" She stopped, overcome with laughter. Jim hunched over, caught up in it himself. "And then... I mean, I guess he eventually found a fire extinguisher, but not before he'd totally ruined his bed and his nightstand..."

"Wow," Jim said. "And how did you find this out?"

"Well, you know, Michael called me to let me know he'd be late this morning, and, well -- the whole story just sort of came out."

"Of course," Jim said, nodding. His face was bright and full of amusement.

Pam grinned at him. "I just..." Her voice trailed off as the kitchen door opened and Karen walked in.

"What's so funny, you guys?" she asked, heading straight for the coffee pot.

Pam noticed Karen didn't even look at her. What the hell? If she was less of a person, she might have said something.

"Um, well, Pam was just sort of explaining, uh ... why Michael was late this morning," Jim said.

"Why was that?" Karen asked, looking between them.

Pam almost felt like she was trying to catch them in a lie. "Um," Pam said, "well, Michael's, um, alarm clock caught on fire..."

"What?" Karen asked. "How?"

Pam realized that even the truth seemed too ridiculous to be true. On the other hand, that was the reality of working with Michael Scott. Pam looked at Jim and shrugged.

"See," Jim started, "he bought this alarm clock called the 'Wake-n-Bacon...'"

Reaching into the microwave, Pam grabbed her mug and quickly headed out of the kitchen. Jim could explain the story to his girlfriend just fine. She had no reason to be there anymore.

===

"Attention, everyone, I'd like to make an announcement," Michael said, standing at the front of the room, near Pam's desk. "Um, some of the managers, and, uh, upper-level employees are aware of this development," Michael glanced over at Dwight, who smiled proudly and pointed at himself, "but, um, Jan and I came out at the Cocktail party."

"You and Jan are gay, Michael?" Kevin asked.

"No, Kevin. Damn it," Michael quickly realized what he'd said, glancing over at Oscar, who was avoiding his gaze. "I mean, not that there's anything wrong with that -- Seinfeld -- heh," Michael snorted. "But, um. No, what I mean is -- we're official. We are officially a couple. We are engaged in a serious adult relationship, a, um, private, but sexually-active relationship..."

"Are you sure Jan would want you to say that, Michael?" Jim asked, looking up at him.

"Well, yeah," Michael's voice went low. "Maybe not, but, um ... okay!" he said, getting back to himself. "Anyway, I just wanted you to know, since, you know, it's official now, and all -- we've registered with HR, so..."

"We kind of figured you guys were together when that, um, vacation picture surfaced," Pam said.

"Yes, but, that wasn't -- necessarily Jan, by the way," Michael said.

"Oh, right," Jim piped in. "That was Urkel Gru, correct?"

"Something like that, look -- it really doesn't matter at this point, what matters is, Jan and I are deeply in love, and --"

"Actually, Jan said she never said she loved you," Dwight said.

"I -- she never said she didn't, either, Dwight. Look, our relationship is complicated ... it's ... abtruse..."

"Don't you mean abstruse?" Karen asked.

"Yes ... maybe ... I mean, just -- whatever, anyway, Jan's my girlfriend now, so, you know -- treat her with respect."

"Is she the top, Michael, since she's your boss?" Kevin asked.

"Kevin, that's -- inappropriate. And ... maybe."

"Wow, I so did not want to know that," Jim said. He gave the camera a look.

"Okay, everyone, get back to work," Michael said, turning on his heel and heading back into his office.

===

Kevin and Meredith were already sitting at the back table in the break room when Jim and Karen walked in. Not thinking anything of it, Jim sat down, pulling his pre-made salad and half-sandwich out of a grocery bag. Karen stood in front of the vending machine. "Do you want any chips, Jim?"

"No thanks," Jim said, pulling open the plastic lid of the rectangular container. It made a loud cracking noise as he did so. "So," Jim said, stabbing into a piece of lettuce, "how did Happy Hour go?"

"I had a good time," Meredith said, nodding. "We played a bunch of drinking games."

Jim glanced over at her. She was sipping from a large travel coffee mug and didn't appear to have any lunch in front of her. Jim wondered if she ever actually 'ate' lunch. "Hm," he replied. "I imagine it was probably better than the cocktail party I went to."

"Oh, c'mon, Jim," Karen said, sitting down with a bag of plain kettle chips. "Don't be modest." She raised her eyebrows at Kevin and Meredith. "Jim got to play basketball with the CFO, David Wallace."

"Get out!" Meredith said. "Is he cute?"

"Oh, yeah, totally," Jim said sarcastically. "We made out behind the garage."

"He's married," Karen said.

Meredith shrugged.

"Anyway," Jim said, "I mean, I played basketball with him, but it totally wasn't a big deal, I mean -- he made a comment about how much he hated those kinds of parties and asked if I wanted to shoot some hoops." Jim half-smiled. "It was actually the best part of the night."

"What about the part where I totally got you?" Karen asked. She leaned over, nudging Jim with her arm. "I actually liked that part."

"You would," Jim mumbled. He glanced up at their tablemates. "Yeah, Karen had me convinced she dated half of Dunder-Mifflin management on Friday night," Jim said.

"Did you?" Kevin asked.

"No," Karen said. "It was a joke. I mean ... most of it, anyway."

Jim looked at her. "What do you mean, most of it? You told me it was a joke."

"Well," Karen said, looking sheepish. "I mean, the first one was true." Jim's eyes went wide. Karen quickly continued: "I mean, it didn't really end that badly, and all the other guys, I mean -- I was just trying to rile you up, you know."

"Hm," Jim said, turning back to his salad. He didn't look at her.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," Jim said. "I just thought ... you know, that they were all a joke, I mean, whatever. It's not a big deal."

"Why?" Karen asked. She leaned forward, smiling up at Jim. "Are you ... jealous?"

"No," Jim said, his voice flat. "It happened before we were dating. I'm just a little surprised, that's all." He glanced over in her direction. Her expression had fallen. "Anyway, like I said, it really doesn't matter now, anyway."

"Right," Karen said. "Of course it doesn't matter. We've moved on."

"Definitely," Jim said.

An uncomfortable silence filled the room while the four co-workers crunched, munched, and sipped. Jim could feel Karen's leg shaking under the table. She did that when she was nervous. Jim sighed. Time to change the subject.

"So, you guys had a good time at Happy Hour?" Jim said, deciding to go for a safe topic.

"Oh, yeah," Kevin said. "I almost forgot -- Roy broke the bar. And, uh --" Jim watched Kevin glance at Karen and then back at him. "You're probably in trouble."

"What?" Jim asked, at the same time Karen said,

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh - ho, ho," Meredith chuckled under her breath. She took another long slug from her coffee mug.

Kevin leaned across the table, lowering his voice. "I don't know exactly what happened, but Pam and Roy were talking, and the next thing I heard was something like Roy saying that you came onto Pam and then he threw a glass at the bar. And then Kenny and Roy starting smashing the bar up."

"Who's Kenny?" Karen asked.

"Roy's brother," Kevin said. "We left after that, but I heard from Darryl that they had to pay off the bar so they wouldn't get arrested and it was a lot of money. Darryl also said that Roy wants to come after you."

"Why would Roy want to come after Jim?" Karen asked.

Just as she started asking this question, the door opened, and Kelly and Pam walked in.

"Um," Jim said. He quickly glanced back and forth between Pam and Karen. Now would be a good time to leave the room. He glanced down at his half-eaten salad, and got up, throwing it into the trash. "I really ... have a lot of work to do."

Karen also stood up, defiant.

Uh-oh, Jim thought.

"No, Jim. Why would Roy want to come after you, Jim?" She looked directly at Pam. "Maybe Pam could answer this one." The smirk on her face belied her true motivation. It wasn't just curiosity that drove the question.

"Um," Pam said.

"Are you kidding me?" Kelly said. Everyone turned to look at her. "Pam and Roy were totally engaged and then she broke it off last summer and now Roy thinks that Jim's the reason why she broke it off!"

"Kelly--" Pam started to say, but it was already too late. The damage was done.

Jim's jaw hung open, unable to speak. Pam's eyes had turned into saucers and Kevin blew a deep breath out through his mouth.

"I can't fucking believe you," Karen hissed, slapping Jim in the face. She stormed out of the room, almost slamming into the cameraman on the other side as she did so. The blinds clanged against the glass for several seconds before stopping.

"Wow," Kevin said.

Both Pam and Jim turned and shot him a dirty look. Just then, Michael walked into the room.

"What's going on in here? You guys look like someone just died," he said.

"Karen just found out--" Kelly started, but Pam quickly interrupted her.

"Kelly, just -- shut the hell up," she said, quickly leaving the room.

"Wow. Someone's really ridin' the crimson wave today," Michael said. "Sheesh."

===

"Karen! Karen!"

By the time Jim caught up to her, she was already on the elevator, giving him the middle finger as the door closed.

"Damn it," he muttered to himself, taking the stairs two at a time. He finally caught her in the lobby, and grabbed her arm. "Karen," he said, "listen to me. It's not what you think. I mean, everything I told you was true --"

"Let go of me," she yelled at him, which roused the attention of Cliff, the building security guard. He glanced up from his paper.

"Do you need any help, miss?" Cliff asked, which immediately caused Jim to let go.

"No," she said indignantly. "Thank you, though." With that, Karen stomped out of the building into the parking lot.

Jim followed her, not paying attention so that he ran into the door on his way out. He swore under his breath. "Karen -- wait!"

"I have absolutely nothing to say to you, Jim Halpert. For five nights -- five nights, we talked about your past, and not once in those five nights did you happen to mention the very important detail that Pam was engaged when you told her about your 'crush,' which -- by the way -- I'm beginning -- no, I pretty much know -- wasn't exactly just a crush. And if it was -- I mean, God, Jim ..."

"Karen, it was ... complicated, I mean --"

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. You were probably in love with her and you're probably still in love with her, and you'll never have those feelings for me, that's what I know!" At this point, tears were starting to come down Karen's face, and she struggled with her keyless entry to get her car open. "Damn it!" she cursed aloud.

"Karen," Jim said, gently touching her with his hand.

"No, Jim," she said, turning to him, her face red and streaked with tears. "Not now -- not ever. This is over. You can let Michael know that my resignation is effective immediately. Just ... go back to your stupid precious receptionist, Jim. I don't ... fucking ... care!"

"I..." Jim started, as she got into her car and peeled off and out of the parking lot. Wow. He had not expected that to happen.

Unable to think, and not wanting to go back into the office and deal with the questions and stares and rumors and explanations, he sat down on the bench in front of the building, resting his head in his hands. What kind of mess had his life turned into? He was in love with one girl (who apparently didn't want him), dating another girl (who had moved to Scranton for him), and now Roy wanting to kick his ass? Not that he hadn't expected that, but honestly, Jim was surprised Pam hadn't said anything about it to Roy earlier. Had she? It was just strange that this was all coming up now. He wondered if Pam was still with Roy. Obviously, they'd gotten into an argument at the bar, but it wouldn't have been the first time that had happened. Pam used to complain about Roy all the time when she was engaged to him.

Jim sighed, leaning his head back, and looked up. His breath formed puffs in front of him.

A voice startled him out of his thoughts: "Well, well, well. Fancy meeting you here, Halpert."

Jim jolted his head to see Roy standing in front of him, mashing his fists together. Oh, fuck.

===
Was it worth it? by GreenFish
Author's Notes:
Thus resolves the cliffhanger.  I hope you're all happy.  This is the final chapter of the story.  Hope you enjoy reading!

=== 

"Roy," Jim said. He felt the heavy lump start to build up in his throat as Roy's knuckles cracked. There was no way in hell this was going to end well.

"Halpert, I will give you thirty seconds to explain why the fuck you were kissing my fiancée less than a month before we were supposed to be married."

"Um," Jim sputtered. What the hell was he supposed to say? The truth was ... going to put him in the hospital, most likely, and who knew what Pam really told him? If he lied, Roy would probably know. Jim blew out a breath through his mouth. "I ... don't know what to tell you, Roy. I mean, I'm sure Pam explained it, and, I --"

"Wrong answer, asshole," Roy said. Roy's fist was flying towards Jim's face before he could even react.

He felt his nostrils, lips stinging as his head snapped back. A second later, Jim tasted something metallic -- blood? He groaned loudly, reaching up at his face to wipe his lip. Unfortunately, Roy had picked him up by the collar at that point and had him suspended in mid-air.

"C'mon, fucker. Say something. Say anything. I know you had the hots for Pam all along. You were trying to get into her pants from day one, and then you go and fucking kiss her and, goddamn it -- she called off our wedding because of your sorry ass..." Roy had Jim's collar pulled tight, and Jim swore that he was choking. He could barely speak.

"Roy..."

"I just can't fucking believe it. Ten years. We were together for over ten years, and here, all this time, I was thinking it was me and that stupid stripper at the bachelor party, but no --"

Jim didn't think it was possible, but Roy jerked Jim's collar even tighter, causing him to gag. "Ahh..." he breathed.

"You are fucking dead, you know that?" he asked, pulling Jim up into the air with both arms.

Jim dizzily watched the ground below him starting to spin.

"Roy!" a voice called out. Jim heard a loud commotion behind him. Apparently, someone upstairs must have seen what was going on, and a small crowd had now gathered. Jim was still suspended in the air.

"Pam -- so glad you could come out here so you can see me giving your little boyfriend what he deserves."

"Roy, you probably -- I don't think you should be throwing employees around, I mean..." Michael, Jim thought. Great.

"Michael, stay out of this -- this is between Halpert and me."

Jim felt his body starting to come down, then a weightless sensation as he flew through the air for a split second. He heard the gut wrenching crack and a moment of searing pain before he passed out.

"Roy! What the hell are you doing? Oh my God, Jim!"

"Pam," Roy said, grabbing her arm as she went towards Jim, who lay on the ground in a heap, passed out. "Why the fuck--?"

"What is wrong with you?" she shouted, shaking her arm away. "Did you somehow think that this would make things better? Beating Jim up?" She looked up at Dwight, who was standing next to Roy, poised in a karate stance. "Dwight, go into the office and call the cops."

"What? What the fuck, Pam?" Roy spat out.

At this point, several of the warehouse guys had wandered out front, including Darryl, Lonny and Lester.

"Roy, what the hell, man?" Darryl asked as he walked up to where everyone was gathered. Roy was slowly backing away.

"Dude, fucking Halpert. I mean..." Roy trailed off.

"Man, I told you not to mess around with this business. This kinda stuff only gets you in trouble."

"Case in point," Dwight said as he reached the circle of Dunder-Mifflin employees again. "The cops will be here shortly to take statements, and Cliff said that I could use his handcuffs to restrain Roy until --" He started forward towards Roy, but Roy growled at him, causing Dwight to step back. "Or, I'll just give these to Darryl, since Darryl is technically his supervisor." Dwight sheepishly handed the metal handcuffs over to Roy.

"Man," Darryl said, looking at Roy. "This ain't good."

They all looked over at Jim, who was still lying on the ground, but appeared to be coming to. Pam was kneeling next to him, her arm under his neck. Jim reached up to his face, feeling his tender, swollen lip, then his head. He groaned lightly.

"Fuck Halpert, fuck all of you," Roy said, turning on his heel and heading towards his truck. "I fucking quit." He ripped off his shirt and tossed it on the ground behind him as he headed towards his truck.

"But -- the cops -- Darryl," Dwight said, looking at Darryl and Lonny for support. "You guys are uh -- big, go after him."

"Man," Darryl said again. Darryl looked down at Jim. "Do you want us to go after him?" he asked Jim, who was blinking rapidly and trying to sit up. Jim groaned loudly.

"Uh... no," Jim finally mumbled, his head falling back against Pam's hand. "Ugh." His hand came back up to his forehead.

"But -- the cops," Dwight said again. The wheels on Roy's truck squealed loudly as he peeled out of the parking lot and down the street.

"Man, just -- whatever. He made a mistake," Darryl said. "I told him not to start up this shit." Darryl looked at Lonny. "You know?"

"I know," Lonny said, nodding. Lonny and Darryl glanced down at Jim again.

Darryl nodded at Lonny and Lester. "Let's get back to work."

===

The cops arrived about ten minutes later. At that point, Jim was able to stand up and they led him back into the office to get cleaned up and put an ice pack on his head. The police insisted on getting statements from everyone, even though Jim persisted that he didn't want to press charges. They took Jim's first so he could rest. Jim sat back in the break room, holding the ice pack in one hand and a bottle of orange juice in another.

Jim sat alone, staring at the row of vending machines in front of him. He didn't know where Pam or Michael or anyone was. Maybe they didn't want to talk to him. Maybe they realized what an asshole he really was. Truthfully, he'd deserved it all, which was why he hadn't wanted to press charges. He was lucky Roy hadn't hurt him more. Maybe the fact that Pam (and the rest of the office) had come outside was really a blessing in disguise.

He felt embarrassed and angry and sad. What an idiot he was. What had he been thinking, telling Pam he was in love with her when she was engaged? Nothing good had come of it. In fact, everything in his life had gone to hell ever since he'd said those three cursed words to her...

Jim and Pam stopped being friends. Jim transferred to Stamford. Jim started dating Karen, which was fine until she had quit and broken up with him an hour earlier. The entire office had just watched Roy throw him across the parking lot, and now everyone probably thought he was an even bigger loser than before, and...

Fuck. He groaned lightly, adjusting the ice pack on his head. God, his head was throbbing. He wondered if there was any aspirin.

"Hey," a soft voice punctured the quiet of the break room.

Jim looked up, surprised to see Dwight standing in front of him. Dwight held out a folded-up foil blanket in one hand and a pair of small, white pills in the other.

"Here," he said, "take these. You'll want the blanket to keep yourself from going into shock, and I'm sure you need something to alleviate the pain right now."

"I do, actually," Jim said, relieved. He took the pills and swallowed them, then wrapped the thin blanket around his shoulders. Jim looked up at Dwight. "I hope those weren't Tylenol, by the way."

"Why?" Dwight asked.

"Because I'm allergic to acetaminophen."

"Oh my God," Dwight said, getting up. "I think they were..."

He started to dash out the door, but Jim stopped him. "Dwight!"

"Jim, there's no time, we might have to--"

"Dwight, I was joking. I'm not allergic."

"Damn it, Jim," Dwight said, stomping his foot.

Jim half-smiled. "I'm sorry, Dwight. I ... I really do appreciate you helping me out."

Dwight sat back down again in front of him. "Well, it's my public duty as a Lackawanna County Sheriff's Deputy, to help any and all citizens in need." Dwight recited this as if he were reading it from a written statement.

"Volunteer deputy," Jim said.

"Whatever, Jim."

They sat in companionable silence for a moment, then Jim said: "You know, I really could have used your purple-belt skills out there--"

"Jim..." Dwight said, looking at him sternly. His expression softened when he noticed that Jim was serious. Dwight nodded. "I'm actually a brown belt now. I moved up over the summer."

Jim nodded. "That's ... great, Dwight. You should bring your belt in sometime. We could play with it."

"It's not a toy, Jim."

"Right," Jim said. "So I'm guessing that tug-of-war would be out?"

Dwight shook his head. "All right. I have work to do." He stood up, but paused for a moment, studying Jim. "Are you sure you're okay? Are you feeling dizzy? Are you seeing any floating spots? Do you feel nauseous?"

Jim couldn't help but smile. "No, I just ... have a slight headache. It's -- I'll be okay. Thanks, Dwight."

"You're just lucky your injuries weren't more severe. Your smaller body mass leaves you more vulnerable in a situation like this, and I doubt you have the bone density that I do. The Schrute family..."

"Okay, Dwight," Jim said, holding his hand up. "I appreciate your concern, but I think I could use some peace and quiet now."

"Ten-four," Dwight said, giving him a salute. "I will keep the break room free of nosy coworkers and rabble-rousers." As he turned to leave, the door opened. Jim looked up to see who was there, but Dwight's body blocked the doorway. "You're going to have to stay out," Dwight said. "Jim needs peace and quiet and time to recover..."

"Dwight, I need to see him."

Pam? "Dwight!" Jim called out. Dwight turned around quickly, as Pam tried to squeeze past him. Dwight's arm immediately shot out, stopping her.

"Jim, you said you didn't want to be disturbed."

Jim rolled his eyes. "Let her in, please. But ... keep other people away." He coughed. "Like Michael."

Dwight nodded dutifully, letting Pam through, and headed back out towards the main office.

===

"I'm sorry I didn't come in here earlier," Pam said. "I had to give my statement, and then Michael made me sit with him while he gave his statement, so I could take notes, or something, and I told him that I didn't need to do that, but ..." Pam sighed, moving to sit down next to Jim. She put her hand on his face. Her palm was surprisingly cool against his skin. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Jim nodded slowly. He didn't want her to move her hand. Jim swallowed hard. "I'm sorry ... about everything," he said. "I didn't -- I never should have done that -- what I did on Casino Night."

Pam pulled her hand back, weaving her fingers together. She tilted her head at him. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, nothing good really came of it, Pam. You broke up with Roy, we stopped talking, I got my ass kicked ... deservedly so," Jim added sheepishly.

"That's not true," Pam said. "First of all, if you hadn't said that, I never would have known how you really felt."

"What's the point if it's only going to break --" Jim started, but Pam stopped him, reaching over to put her hand over his.

"I'm not finished," she said.

Jim looked up at her, surprised, but shut his mouth.

"Second of all, I never would have broken up with Roy in the first place, and I probably would have married him, been stuck in a miserable marriage, and would never really have understood why you transferred to Stamford." Jim looked over at her, his mouth twisting up. Pam continued. "Roy and I broke up on Friday, after I told him. And ... I mean, I should be perfectly honest with you, because, well, I told Roy I wanted to be honest and I haven't been for a long time. Honesty and courage are apparently not my strong suits," Pam said, frowning slightly.

"Okay..." Jim said. He searched her face, trying to figure out where she was going with this.

"When you left for Stamford -- I was really sad for a really long time. I honestly was planning on going through with marrying Roy, you know, but as a couple weeks went by, and I'd come into work every day, and you weren't there, and there was no one there to joke with -- even though I tried joking with Michael sometimes, but then he thought maybe I was coming onto him, which was just ... well ..." Pam made a face. Jim chuckled lightly. "Anyway, I guess the combination of losing my best friend and then Roy, just being -- well, Roy -- it just kept building up and building up.

"Then, a few days before the wedding, Roy comes home from his bachelor party. The bachelor party he'd been planning for weeks instead of helping me with the rest of the wedding. He comes home, and there's bright-red lipstick. On his collar, on his neck -- he was completely drunk, and I don't know, I just ... lost it. I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back." Pam nodded, looking down at her hands, which were folded again. "I left him that night. I left him, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

"My mom came out the next day and helped me call everyone to let them know the wedding was cancelled, and God -- it was, just awful, I think I only called about ten people, I couldn't handle it, and then my mom and aunt called everyone else, and Roy's parents were so mad, and just..." Pam sniffed, her breath coming out ragged.

Jim reached out his hand, putting it on her back, which made her sigh loudly. She swallowed.

"And then -- then, you know, trying to deal with all of that and having no one to talk to -- most of my friends are Roy's friends as well, and no one wanted to talk to me, no one really knew why I had called off the wedding and Roy told everyone that it was just wedding jitters and we'd be back together in a week or two, but I didn't go back to him, I really didn't." She swallowed again, sniffing louder. "And then Roy started drinking more, and he'd call me at 3 am, begging me to come back, and it was so hard ... I just ... in a way, I wanted to just give in, but I knew it wasn't a good idea, you know?"

"Yeah," Jim said softly.

"So, he just -- well, I don't know if you heard, but he got a DUI this summer, and had to go AA for a while. And Michael -- he was actually pretty nice, but everyone else just made these little comments, and I felt so bad. We had all this wedding food left over, and every day, Roy would bring up a plate of food, so for eight weeks, it was 'Chicken or fish?' and I swear, I didn't eat either for months after that was through." She smiled up at Jim, who smiled back at her.

"I can imagine," he said.

"Anyway," Pam sighed, rubbing her eyes several times. "God," she said through her hands. "You have no idea how long I've been wanting to tell you all this."

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear about it," Jim said quietly.

"I really did miss you, Jim," Pam said, holding out her hand. He took it, wrapping his long fingers around hers.

"I missed you, too, Pam."

They sat like that for a long moment, staring into each other's eyes. Pam almost wondered if he would lean forward ... she felt her chest starting to tighten up, and swallowed. Her breathing became shallow. She felt her heart pounding through her chest, in her throat. She heard her breath coming out though her mouth.

"Jim..." she said.

"Yes?" he asked. His voice was soft. She noticed his chest moving up and down as he breathed. He swallowed, and his Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

Pam closed her eyes, and then opened them again. Just ... say it. Tell the truth. What do you have to lose anymore? "I... I'm in love with you."

"What?" Jim asked. He blinked several times, tightening his grip on her hand.

Pam started grinning, half-laughing, half-crying. "I'm in love with you. I... think I probably have been for a long time, but I didn't realize it until you said it that night, and I just... I was so afraid, so afraid of everything, and I mean, I know you probably don't feel the same way anymore, but I just --"

"Oh ... Pam." Jim stood up immediately, pulling her towards him into an embrace. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, feeling her head rest against his chest as he did so. "My feelings for you have never changed," he murmured into her hair. It was so soft... so soft ...

His hand reached up to touch it, and he stroked her head lightly as he held her.

"God," he said. "I tried so hard... I tried to move on, Pam, but I couldn't, I mean, just seeing you again made it all come back."

"I thought –" Pam started to cry. "I mean, I figured, you know, you were with Karen, and ..."

"Karen could never be you, Pam. She's just ..." Jim sighed. "She knew. She knew I still had feelings for you."

"How?" Pam asked, pulling back to look up at him. Her face shone with tears.

Jim smiled sheepishly. "Remember that party we had for Oscar? When Andy went nuts and punched the wall?"

"Yeah," Pam said, smiling back. She sniffed. "I was so happy you asked me to play that joke on Andy. Even though I heard you ask Ryan before you asked me."

Jim chuckled. "I couldn't ... I was trying not to encourage my feelings, I mean -- I was sure you weren't interested, you know, in that way, and I guess, you know -- I was still hurt, but he was just driving me nuts and you were just -- so great there --"

Pam grinned. "I still can't believe he punched the wall."

"I know!" Jim said. "Anyway, later that day, I was sitting in the conference room, and I was just sitting there, thinking about things, thinking about everything that happened, and Karen just asked me."

"Asked you what?" Pam made a face. "She asked you if you still had feelings for me?"

"Yes," Jim said.

"What'd you tell her?"

"Yes."

"But ... you guys were still dating up till today, I mean..."

Jim rolled his eyes. "I know. We talked about our relationship, and my feelings, for five nights straight after that. Remember when you asked me in the break room that one day, and I told you how we'd been up talking -- and you made some joke about REM cycles?"

"Oh my God," Pam said, rolling her eyes. Her arms were still around Jim's waist, but she leaned back, embarrassed. "That was ... so dumb."

"It was cute," Jim said.

"Yeah, right. I ... didn't know what I was doing at that point. I just ... such a dork," she mumbled.

"You're a cute dork," Jim said, pulling her into a hug again. "Anyway," he continued, looking down at her, "I guess my heart was never really in it with Karen. I mean, even at the cocktail party last week, all I could think about was how different you and Karen were and how we totally could have spent the night making fun of Michael and Jan --"

Pam smiled, tilting her head to the side. "Despite some of the, um, problems we've had, I guess I'd have to say this honesty thing is working out pretty well."

"I would have to agree." Jim leaned his head down, touching his forehead to hers. "I'm so glad that you ... share my feelings for you."

"Yes, I feel very good about myself, thank you," Pam smirked.

"You know what I mean," Jim said.

"Of course I do," Pam whispered. She started to tilt her head up to kiss him, but he stopped her. Pam felt the blood starting to rush to her cheeks. Had she misinterpreted something? What was wrong? Why didn't he...

"I busted my lip, Pam," he said softly. "I don't think you want to kiss me right now."

"Oh," Pam said. Her cheeks still felt warm, but she smiled, despite herself. "Well, I'll just do this for now." She leaned to the side and gave him a tender kiss on either cheek. When she leaned back, she noticed his cheeks had turned slightly pink as well. She beamed at him. "I love you," she said softly.

"I love you, too, Pam," he said, hugging her again. He wanted to hold her for a really, really long time.

The office, unfortunately, was not conducive to wishes like that.

"Pam! Jim! Wow -- what's going on in here?" Michael burst through the door, Dwight in tow.

"Michael, I told you not to --" Dwight stopped short as Jim and Pam broke apart. "What's going on here?" He looked at Jim suspiciously. "Aren't you dating Karen?" he asked.

"She broke up with him," Pam said.

"Long story," Jim added.

Dwight looked dumbfounded. "But -- you two --"

"Well," Michael interrupted. "It's about time, I must say. I mean, jeez, with Jim transferring because of you, and Roy beating Jim up, this is just -- you know, like a soap opera. It's like -- As Dunder-Mifflin Turns ... or, All My Employees." Michael snickered at his own joke.

"Um, okay," Jim said.

Pam looked over at Jim, then at Michael. "If it's okay with you, I'd like to bring Jim to the doctor to make sure he's okay, and then, you know, he really needs to get some rest."

Michael's face lit up into a grin. "'Rest,'" he said. "Right."

"Really, Michael," Pam said, frowning at him. "God," she muttered under her breath. They were never going to hear the end of this.

"No, no, that's fine," Michael said. "Let me just ... well, you go. I'll let everyone know you two will be ... incommunicado for the rest of the day. Mm?"

Pam shook her head and Jim rolled his eyes as they headed out of the break room.

===

"Pam and Jim got together, hmmm?" Creed winked at the camera, then thought for a moment. "Wait -- who's Pam and Jim?"

Left to my own devices by GreenFish
Author's Notes:
I guess I decided that I didn't like the way the second part turned out. Someone said in a review on my LJ that the conversation between Jim and Pam was "too wordy" (which I actually agreed with - I was thinking that when I was done with it) and, on that thought, I wondered why -- well, why don't stories have deleted scenes? I kind of regret how "serious" the second part of the story came out and decided it needed to be funnier. So, I've been mulling these ideas in my mind over the past few days, and decided to post them. There may be more. I'm thinking of a Dwight-perspective I left out. It may come yet. Who knows??  For now... well, enjoy...

=== 

Deleted Scene # 1: Jim has a secret

"What is this?" Karen asked as she ambled over to Jim's desk. "'Musings of a Paper Salesman?'" She continued to read over his shoulder: "'Yesterday I went to a company cocktail party with K.' -- who's 'K?' Is that supposed to be me?"

Jim quickly minimized the window, but Karen was too quick, angling around him to open it again.

"LiveJournal, Jim? You never told me you had a journal. Is that like MySpace, or something?"

Dwight made a face. "LiveJournal is for noobs. Everyone who knows anything these days has their own blog on their own host."

"And why is that?" Jim asked, managing to close the window while Karen was distracted.

"Customization. Lack of censorship. No advertisements. It also shows that you have computer skills beyond that of a labrat." Dwight's mouth quirked up. "I suppose you probably use AOL as your internet provider as well?"

"No," Jim said, suddenly indignant. "And besides -- I only use LJ because my friends use it and it's how we keep in touch."

"What friends?" Karen asked, giving Jim a look. "I thought all your friends lived around here. Why would you need to keep in touch with people who live, at most, five miles away?"

"That's not -- look, I don't want to talk about it," Jim said. "I have -- other friends -- online."

"Hm," Dwight said, suddenly interested. "What's your fandom? Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? Veronica Mars?" He snickered to himself at that last one. "Kristen Bell is pretty hot, though," he said to himself, rubbing his chin.

"No," Jim said, "I don't have a 'fandom.'" Jim made air quotes. "And even if I did -- well -- it would be too dangerous to reveal, so..." He shrugged.

"Right," Dwight said, rolling his eyes. "It's probably something stupid, like Farscape."

"That was a good show," Karen said.

"Right -- if you enjoy Muppets in Space," Dwight smirked. "Battlestar Galactica is superior in every way."

"Sure," Jim said. "If you get basic cable it is. Obviously, you don't have access to the programming I do ..." Jim trailed off. "Oh, darn, I said too much already."

"Don't try to convince me that you have access to some super-secret satellite or something, Jim. I know you're lying," Dwight said, standing up out of his chair to glare at Jim.

Jim didn't reply, but made a zipping motion across his lips. He got up and headed towards the conference room.

===

"Dwight's right. I really don't have a secret satellite or anything like that. It will, however, keep Dwight wondering all day. Which ... is pretty much all I was hoping for. That, and keeping Karen distracted from the fact that I have a LiveJournal."

Jim sighed.

===

"I can't believe Jim keeps a blog ... you think he would have told me that, right? How does LiveJournal work, anyway? Is it like MySpace where you have all these 'friends' who leave slutty pictures on your page? That is so..." Karen thought for a second, "... dumb. Jim and I are going to have a talk about this later, I think."

===


Deleted Scene # 2: Michael and Jan make up!


Michael leaned back in his chair. “I think Jan and I have a good relationship. I mean, yeah, I was a little mad at her on the way back from the cocktail party - when she said she didn’t want our relationship to go public. I don’t understand that. I want to shout it on the rooftops! I want the world to know that Jan is my woman!" Michael paused for a moment. "Hm."

He stood up and went to the doorway of his office. "Um -- attention everyone -- I just wanted to remind everyone quickly, that I am in love with Jan!"

"Wow," Jim said, turning around. "I think you just announced that five minutes ago."

"Okay, then," Michael said, smiling. "I just... didn't want anyone to forget."

"I'm glad," Pam said, "because Jan's on the phone." She held the phone receiver up for Michael to see.

"Oh, well -- good," Michael said. He gave the camera a terse smile. "Send it over!"

Michael dashed back to his desk, punching the "speaker" button.

"Michael," a clipped voice came over the speaker. "Um, I sort of overheard you saying something to the office -- and it sounded like my name was in it."

"Yes, Jan, I was just ... reminding the office that I am in love with you."

"Reminding them," Jan said.

"I am not afraid of letting our love be known. I'm so proud of it -- I want to shout it on the rooftops. Scream from the mountains. Decry from the highways..."

"Um, okay," Jan said. "Look, Michael, I appreciate your ... um, enthusiasm, but, I just worry about what you are and aren't telling everyone. Like... you know, about what happens when we're not at work." She said the last part very quietly.

"If you asking whether I talk about our sex life, the answer is no," Michael said. He shot a grin to the camera. "Well, you know, except for Packer, but I only talked about it once, and only because he wouldn't leave me alone--"

"Packer?" Jan asked. "As in, Todd Packer?"

"Yes, but, you know. He's good. We're tight. Best buds. Secrets are sealed."

"Like an open book," Jan muttered. "Look, Michael -- I just --"

"I love you, Jan."

"I..." There was a long pause on the line. "Am I on speakerphone?" she asked.

"Um, yesh," Michael said. He glanced at the camera again.

"Okay, well, look -- let's -- I'm going to need to see you later this week. To meet on, um -- business matters."

"Right," Michael said. He winked. "Um, well ... coming to my condo is probably not going to work out, considering that my bed was, um, en fuego this morning."

"What? Is this one of your little idioms? What does that mean? You aren't, um ... I mean, I thought we were mutual, and ..." Jan trailed off.

"What?" Michael asked. He suddenly realized what Jan was suggesting: "Oh, no, no, no... Jan, we are in love. There is no one else except for you. You are my sun and moon and stars." The line was silent for several seconds. Michael continued, "Um, I mean. My bed actually caught on fire. Today. This morning."

"It -- what? How?"

"Well, the Wake-n-Bacon malfunctioned, or something, I mean, I don't know..."

"I told you that thing was a fire hazard."

"It's not my fault you have a thing against bacon."

"It's just fattening -- and -- it makes me sick to my stomach, which I am already, so --" She sighed loudly. "Look, I have to go. I'll ... talk to you later about this, okay?"

"Okay, Jan. I love you!"

There was an unintelligible mumbling on the line.

"What was that?"

"I said... well, you know what I said. Goodbye, Michael." The line clicked.

Michael frowned at the camera. "I really don't know what she said. Hm. That's what she didn't say?" Michael made a face. "That's what she said, that I couldn't hear?" He shook his head. "I'm going to have to work on that one."



Deleted Scene # 3: There's a rumble in the parking lot


Stanley was on one of his usual morning walkabouts when he noticed Karen go running past him and out the door. A couple seconds earlier, he'd seen Jim go running past, but hadn't really thought anything of it. He figured it had something to do with Michael at first (when didn't it?) but now he suspected something had happened between Karen and Jim. Not that it was any of his business. He thought Jim was still an immature kid, anyway. It was never a good idea to date people you worked with. Especially at Dunder-Mifflin. Working here was bad enough, but then having to go home to the person you worked with? No way.

About twice a day, he'd get up from his desk after making a few of his "pretend to do work" obligatory sales calls (these "calls" were mostly acquaintances that he already did business with. They'd talk about the kids, the upcoming church picnics, and the ridiculous cost of private schools these days. Sometimes he'd actually get an order out of it, and then he'd treat himself by doing a crossword puzzle for the next fifteen minutes. But usually, it was just idle conversation to pass the time. Most of what he did at Dunder-Mifflin felt into that category.) These walkabouts were a way to remind him that he wasn't literally chained to his desk for eight hours, and gave him an opportunity to check the weather outside, even maybe see the sun once in a while.

Today, he was thinking about taking a gander down to the third floor to see if they maybe had a Zagnut bar in the vending machine. He'd mentioned to the vending machine guy (Steve? Scott? Something like that) that they needed to get some of those, but it had been three weeks, and nothing. Maybe someone around here was actually getting some service, because Dunder-Mifflin sure wasn't.

He glanced out the window. It was a clear day outside. The type of clear day that was almost deceptive in nature -- making you think it was a lot warmer than it was. The type of day that makes you think, I could be golfing right now, but then you'd step outside for lunch, and the cold would hit you immediately, reminding you why you're wearing three layers and a wool coat. It was days like today that Stanley thought about packing up everything and just starting over in Florida. If it wasn't for Terri (her family all lived in the area), he probably would do that.

As he was staring out the window, he started to notice something weird. Jim was sitting on the bench right outside the front entrance. He could see this from the window in the front hall, right outside the main door into the office. It wasn't weird until Roy waked up, when it suddenly became apparent that there wasn't such a friendly situation going on outside. Stanley shook his head, heading back into the office. Not his place to get involved.

"Looks like there's a rumble in the parking lot," he mumbled, heading back to his desk.

"Rumble?" Dwight asked, jumping up. He immediately ran out the door to the window. "Oh my God!" Dwight said, propping the office door back open. "Roy and Jim are going at it!"

"Roy?" Pam asked, jumping up. "Oh ... my God, no..." She ran out the door without even putting her coat on.

Stanley shook his head. That's what you got for getting involved with people you work with. You lost all your common sense.

===

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1243