To the Wall by girl7
Summary: A very short post-"Women's Appreciation" fic.  What were Pam and Jim thinking during that elevator ride with Karen?

Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam, Karen
Genres: Inner Monologue
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 1140 Read: 17791 Published: May 03, 2007 Updated: May 03, 2007
Story Notes:

Spoilers through "Women's Appreciation." 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by girl7

2. Chapter 2 by girl7

3. Chapter 3 by girl7

4. Chapter 4 by girl7

5. Chapter 5 by girl7

Chapter 1 by girl7
Author's Notes:
Pam's point of view (very short chapters).
As the elevator doors swished open, revealing Karen and Jim, Pam wished she'd been patient enough to just wait.

Strange, when she'd always prided herself on being patient, almost to a fault.

She gave Jim a tight-lipped smile, trying not to notice the way he sort of gave a start when she stepped inside.  When she instinctively averted her eyes, they fell to rest on Karen's Victoria's Secret bag - an inescapable visual of all the things from which she tried to escape on a daily basis - quite literally.

She was just about to clear her throat - simply to fill the silence, which was somehow still so fucking dangerous when Jim was around - but then Jim did it first.

Chapter 2 by girl7
Author's Notes:

Jim's point of view. Please suspend disbelief to allow for that oil smudge to still be on Pam's forehead from changing the tire. :o)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

His thoughts vacillated too quickly for him to keep up:

Holy shit, six months.  Six months.  She wanted to celebrate six months.  I'm in over my head; I have to be.  

...Why is there a smudge of grease on Pam's forehead?  Got to be a good reason for that, a story there.  If I ask her, I know she'll tell me - all animated and adorable, like she gets when she's offering up an anecdote.
 

...Or how she would've been...maybe how she was when I was allowed to notice that kind of thing.

...Six months.  Jesus, I haven't been in a relationship that has lasted this long since college.  Unless you count the thing with Pam...which you can't.  Obviously.

...The sketch!  Holy mother of -

"So hey..." His own voice surprised him - apparently surprised Pam, too, because when he spoke, her head jerked as if he'd suddenly shrieked.

He felt self-conscious, the elevator suddenly too small for the three of them.

Something about metaphors flickered behind his consciousness, but he'd long since gotten good at shutting those kinds of thoughts out.  

Yeah, dramatic irony - isn't that what they call it when the audience knows something the character doesn't?  So the audience sees things ironically?  

He wondered briefly if it still counted when "the audience" constituted a split in one's own consciousness.

But these were questions he couldn't possibly begin to answer; he knew his limits.

"Uh, the sketch..."

When an immediate grin broke out across her face, it seemed to leap right across to cover his own. Somewhere in his peripheral vision was the image of Karen.  

Suddenly he understood all too well what things must've - could've, might've - been like for Pam when she was with Roy.

Fucking dramatic irony.

"...Pretty awesome, Beesly."

When her eyes met his, he felt it like a physical impact - because what he'd said, that simple thing, had lit up her entire face, her skin glowing beautifully beneath the dark smudge on her forehead.

Chapter 3 by girl7
Author's Notes:

Pam's point of view.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

"Thanks." She had to duck her head; ever since he'd been back, she'd found that looking him in the eye was something that she had to do sparingly...because to do so cost her dearly, made her feel like she'd slid back ten feet for every one she took when she was forcing herself to look past him.

But there was something lingering beneath the shadows of his expression now that made it all okay; that intangible something didn't negate what she'd done that afternoon.  

No, that very indescribable thing made her feel - for the briefest of moments - that there was hope.  

Karen may as well have been invisible.  As soon as the realization hit her, she felt that old familiar guilt - displaced, of course, because she wasn't the one who was not really there in a relationship.

Not anymore.

Still she tried, glancing at Karen. "So...yeah, the mall was pretty interesting, huh?"

She struggled to look her in the eyes , but in the claustrophobic, stifling atmosphere of the elevator, she found it damned near impossible to do so.

Because the image of that lacy, lime green lingerie Karen had held up wouldn't leave her alone; all that it represented seemed to be hollowing out her insides.

"Totally." Karen nodded, but Pam could've sworn she sensed a hesitation there.

So she filled the silence the only way she knew how: "Michael and Jan...wow."

"I know." Again Karen nodded, with more enthusiasm this time. "Talk about kinky sex."

Oh dear god, please...let's don't.

Pam couldn't even muster a smile, reaching out to tuck her bangs beneath her ear, her eyes falling to rest on the emergency panel as she wondered dully why there wasn't a Fast Forward/ Too Awkward button.  After all, elevators were notorious for breeding discomfort...right?

Chapter 4 by girl7
Author's Notes:

Jim's point of view.

No copyright infringement intended; I do not own these characters.  

He'd seen the Victoria's Secret bag in Karen's hand; he'd even sent her a playful IM about it:

So...what's in the bag?  Care to share?

He didn't allow himself to even consider the possibility that his curiosity really burned to know what was in the large bag Pam had trudged in with.

Of course, Karen responded right away:

Oh, I'll share - later.  For now, I'll give you a hint: It's a special occasion....

His hand found its way to his chin as he tried not to be so acutely aware that Pam was laughing with Kelly and Meredith about something.  It was at that point that he'd contemplated the merit in bringing his i-pod to work, just to drown out the background noise.  

Why the hell would she be buying lingerie?  It's totally over with Roy - surely - so...what?  Is she seeing somebody?  

The very thought sent him squirming in his seat, taking a large gulp of coffee from his mug before he sent a reply:

Special occasion, eh?  Sounds...intriguing.

But it wasn't intriguing, and he knew it.  What was intriguing was why, exactly, Pam had returned with that dark smudge on her forehead; what was driving him crazy was the desire to know what the hell was in that Victoria's Secret bag she carried.

Chapter 5 by girl7
Author's Notes:

Conclusion.

See earlier chapters for requisite disclaimers.  

When the elevator doors gave their innocuous ding, both Jim and Pam literally scrambled - Jim re-adjusting his messenger's bag, moving from leaning against the railing to stand straight, casting a visibly uncomfortable smile at Karen; Pam, in turn, shifted on her feet, her eyes downcast, one hand toying with her necklace, sliding the charm back and forth, then back again.

Only Karen seemed calm - with narrowed eyes, but calm nonetheless.

There was simply no option other than to walk out to their cars together - Jim making a cringe-inducing comment about the weather ("Wow...sun's really...bright"), Pam responding in kind ("Yeah, it is, isn't it?  So bright...").

Karen's eyes flicked from one to the other, then: "Yes, it is.  Really illuminating, isn't it?"
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1775