The Tournament by receptionist
Summary: Just a fun little ditty about a game Michael brings in to work one day. Takes place after The Job... heck, it even takes place after my "Memorial Day" and "Vodkaski" stories. Jim and Pam are a couple at this point.

Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Fluff, Humor, Workdays
Warnings: Moderate sexual content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3055 Read: 7204 Published: June 17, 2007 Updated: June 18, 2007
Story Notes:
Enjoy some fluff! There's a little conflict, but nothing huge. Mostly fluff.

1. Morale Booster Introduced by receptionist

2. Creed and Kevin. Whod've thought? by receptionist

3. Results by receptionist

Morale Booster Introduced by receptionist
Author's Notes:
Jim and Pam don't belong to me. Although some days I do wish Jim were in my posession... but that's another story... ;) [no copyright infringement intended]

Jim turned to look at the doorway, where Michael was directing a crew of three delivery guys with a very large box. "Good. Okay, little to the left... oh sorry--my left, your right."

"Whatcha got there, Michael?" Jim asked.

Michael turned and grinned widely, focusing on the camera, even while he answered Jim. "Oh, nothing. Just a little something to boost morale."

Jim and Pam exchanged a glance that said, "This will be an interesting day."

Once Michael had directed the delivery men into the conference room, he closed the door quickly and closed the blinds.

"What do you think he has?" Pam whispered to Jim.

Jim puckered his lips. "A live goat."

Pam chuckled at his answer, but still wondered at Michael's mystery.

"I'm sure we'll find out eventually," Karen muttered, irritated.

Before Pam could take another guess, Michael opened the door and exited, closing the door quickly behind him. "Pam," he said, leaning over her desk. "I need you to round up the crew. We have an important morale meeting in the conference room in..." he paused to look at his watch (a gift from Jan that he had been flaunting for almost a week now). "Three minutes."

Pam nodded. "And... what is the morale booster?"

Michael smiled and turned his head, hoping that the camera would catch him ( but it was actually in the kitchen with Kevin and Angela catching a debate about the poor conditions of dairy cows, particularly the ones used to make milk chocolate... like in M&Ms...). When he saw that the camera wasn't around, he turned back to Pam with his cheesy grin. "You'll just have to wait and find out. Oh, make sure Dale comes in here, too. We'll definitely need this on film!"

Pam bit her lips as she typed an inter-office memo and emailed it to the office staff.

Two and a half minutes later, Michael was physically rounding up the crew, stopping them mid-sales call and herding them into the door of the conference room (though he forbade anyone to open it, posting Dwight as the guard). Michael made his way through the crowd and reached for the handle.

"Michael, no one is to open this door," Diwght insisted.

"I told you that, idiot!" Michael said insistently, but Dwight still blocked his way.

"You told me that NO ONE was to open it--NO ONE includes you."

Michael rolled his eyes. "Quit being a moron and let me open the stupid door." When Michael finally go the door open, all eyes were on the large carboard box in the center of the conference room. The chairs and table had been moved aside, giving plenty of room around the box.

"Great employees of Dunder Mifflin Scranton, I give you..." Michael began dramatically. He then took out a pair of scissors from his pocket and ran it along the tape at the seam of the box. The top flaps popped up a little and Michael opened them dramatically, then ripped open the box, revealing a brown and electric blue foosball table.

"Oh... my... god..." Jim muttered. Pam stifled a giggle beside him.

"It's Game Day!" Michael announced, waving his arms.

"Yes!" Dwight exulted, making a fist and bringing it from above his head to his shoulder. "This is perfect! Foosball is a game of lightening-fast reflexes and extremely accurate hand-eye coordination. I will beat you ALL!"

Jim nodded, squishing his lips to one side. "So who plays first?"

"Ah, well... I thought that we would have a little... tournament. We'll have a men's tournament, and then a women's, and then a... a cross... gender tournament."

Jim raised his eyebrows at Michael's faux pas.

"I think the management team should go first," Michael stated.

"So... that's just you and me, Michael," Jim noted.

"Okay, well, then we can each choose one team member," Michael decided.

"Who will be referee?" Dwight asked.

"Ah, no one," Michael scoffed.

"Is this mandatory?" Angela asked.

"Ah, well, if you want a pleasant workplace it is!" Michael retorted.

Angela turned and left the room. Stanley followed, as did Karen.

"Someone has to be the referee, Michael," Dwight insisted. "What if there's a dispute?"

"Ok, fine--you be the reff!"

"But Michael," Dwight said in a soft, sad tone, "I'm your best choice for a team mate."

Michael rolled his eyes dramatically. "Uh, I don't know. Phyllis--Phyliis, will you be the reff?"

"Oh, sure, Michael," Phyllis said with a smile. "I'm not very good at these games but I sure do love watching!"

"Refereeing is much more than just watching Phyllis--it take a keen, sharp eye and instantaneous decision-making," Dwight cautioned.

"She'll be fine, Dwight, just... get over here. Which side do you want?"

"I want to be the goalie, Michael--unless you want it, of course."

"No, that's... that's fine. The middle sees more action, anyways." Michael looked to Jim. "So, who's your team-mate?"

"Hm," he mumbled, looking over his choices. Oscar, Kevin, Pam, Creed, Kelly, Meredith and Andy remained as possible choices.

"You know what, I'm... actually behind on my work," Oscar said, turning to leave.

"Ooh! Jim! Pick me! I'm SOOO good with my hands!" Kelly exclaimed.

"Thaaaat's what she said," Michael commented with a chuckle. Dwight high-fived him.

"Tough choice," Jim mumbled. He paused as he looked at Kevin. He was slow, but he may have played a lot in college... He then grinned as he decided on the most obvious choice. "Beesly."

"Wait, Jim--Michael said the men's tournement was first, and then the ladies," Dwight debated.

"Ah, but he didn't specify that when he told me to pick a team mate," Jim said.

"Oh, he's right! Drat!" Michael mumbled to himself, shaking his head. "Well, we'll just have to... deal with this. We're caught in a loophole--Pam can play. Oh, but who will answer the phones?"

Pam's face changed from a wide grin to a solemn frown. "Michael, I can forward them to Kelly until it's her turn, and then I'll take her customer service calls when it's her turn. Right, Kelly?"

"Oh, sure! Totally!" Kelly agreed.

"Fine," Michael gave in with a deep sigh. Kalley bounced out of the room as Pam left momentarily to forward the phones to Kelly's extension. When she returned, Dwight was doing strange finger stretches, while Michael was stretching his arms. Jim looked at Pam and gestured to the table, indicating that he was leaving the choice of placement up to her. She picked the non-goalie lines and stood at her post.

"Phyllis, please state the rules," Dwight instructed. Phyllis went on to recite the rules that Dwight had told her while the phones were being forwarded. Michael took the little white ball and pushed it through the hole in the side of the table.

The first game began.

 

End Notes:
Not at all done. But still, tell me what you think! And don't worry... there WILL be JAM later on!!!
Creed and Kevin. Whod've thought? by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Still not mine.

The Foozeball Tournament continues...

"No! No! No!" Dwight hollered as Michael fumbled with the handle, kicking the little ball into Jim and Pam's goal.

"Thanks, Michael," Jim noted calmly, moving a third little disc to one side, indicating the score.

"That was... not... intended," Michael mumbled as he took the ball out of the reservoir and put it through the hole on his side of the table.

The game continued for a short while before Michael called out, "FOUL! Personal Foul!"

"What?" Jim asked, looking to Michael curiously.

"The--your man kicked my man," Michael complained.

"Michael, that's not even a rule," Phyllis offered calmly. "Dwight said there are no personal fouls."

Dwight shook his head. "That is correct, Michael. No personal fouls in foosball. But now we'll have to serve again because of the interruption."

Just as they had begun to play again, Kelly entered the conference room. "Michael, you have a phone call."

"I'm very busy, Kelly," Michael said distractedly. "Damn it!" he shouted, hitting the table as Pam scored a goal. "Tell whoever it is that I'm in a meeting."

"Umm, it's the CEO," she replied uneasily. "But I can tell him you're too busy playing foosball to--"

"No, no, I'm coming," Michael said. As he exited the conference room, he pointed at Andy. "Andy, take my place."

"Alright!" Andy enthused, jumping to his feet and jogging into the conference room. "So where am I?"

"Right here," Dwight gestured, indicating which handles were Michael's.

"Get ready to cry to yo' mama, Tuna," Andy said to Jim. He looked to one of the score posts. "Alright, Dwight! We only need one more shot!"

"Uh, that's actually our score," Jim corrected. "You guys need four."

"Oh," Andy replied as he dropped the ball through the hole. The game continued.

"Shoot, now, Bernard!" Dwight ordered. "No! you're shooting the wrong way! Not to Jim! Yes, yes! Shoot it in!" Pam's goalie blocked the shot and sent the ball across the table. "Damn it, Bernard!"

Jim passed the ball from his 3-man row straight into the goal. He looked to Pam and smiled. "So who's next?"

Dwight and Andy both looked at Pam and Jim, dejected. "I'll... get the next two players."

"Hey, I didn't get a full game--can I be next?"

"Sure, Andy," Jim told him.

"No," Dwight replied. "He took Michael's place, and therefore, he used his turn making Michael's team LOSE. Thus, he is not eligible to play again."

"Okay," Andy said slowly, trying to keep himself calm. "I'll just... go... get a soda then. Can I get anything for anyone?"

"I'll have a Coke," Pam told him.

Andy nodded and walked out, heading for the break room.

Dwight stood just outside the conference room door. "Kevin, Creed--you're up!" He then turned inside and looked to Phyllis. "Since I am no longer playing I can serve as referee now. You are dismissed."

"But I--"

"Goodbye, Phyllis."

Phyllis hung her head and walked out as Kevin and Creed walked in. Dwight closed the door behind them.

 

***

 

Jim opened the door of the conference room and started for his desk. "Kevin and Creed--whod've thought?"

"Ladies--you will now begin your tournament," Dwight announced. "Since Pam already had her turn, it will be Phyllis and Kelly."

"Who will be the other team?" Phyllis wondered.

Dwight's eyes darted from one side of the room to the other. "Karen and Angela."

"They're not playing," Kelly stated.

Dwight pursed his lips. "They must play. We have no other alternatives."

Angela didn't even bother to stand and peek her head over the divider. "I am NOT playing."

"Yeah, I have a lot of work to do," Karen said, shaking her head.

"Fine. Then you will play... Oscar and Andy. They are nearly equivalent to women, anyhow."

"Excuse me?" the both asked, almost in unison.

"Dwight, just because I'm gay doesn't mean I want to be a woman--that's transgendered."

Dwight raised his eyebrows. "Well, Michael said we would have a transgendered tournament. You wore a dress once, so you're close enough. And Andy was only a replacement, so he can play to."

"Where's Michael?" Oscar asked, walking to Michael's office. He opened the door to Michael still on the phone with the CEO.

"I understand... Yes, but--" Michael glanced up at Oscar and held up his index finger, signaling Oscar to wait just a minute. "No, I was not aware that he--yes, of course. No, I would never have said that if I knew he was of Jewish desent.... Of course, a written apology for... bad humor? No, David, it was a great joke! It wasn't bad at all!... Oh, you mean bad as in... like, tough. Like... like a professional comic. Right, well, it's close enough, right?... Ok... Ok... Yes, sir, I will. Okay. Thank you, sir, for your kindness and understanding... Yes, I agree... Thank you." He hugn up the phone and closed his eyes tight, putting his hand to the bridge of his nose. "What is it, Oscar?"

"Dwight called me a woman," Oscar complained.

"Well, you did wear a dress once," Michael began.

"Michael--"

"And you are attracted to men, so..."

The arguing could be heard even in the break room, where Pam andJim were sharing a bag of chips and finishing the Coke that Andy had brought for Pam.

"Wow," Pam commented. "That is... unbelievable. I can't believe Dwight said that!"

"It just shows that he's been around Michael for way too long," Jim commented. Jim then smiled.

"What are you planning?"

"I can't smile?" Jim asked defensively. "Maybe I'm just smiling because I'm enjoying spending time with my girlfriend."

"No, I know that smile, Halpert--you're planning something. And you better tell me what it is."

"Or what?" Jim challenged.

Pam raised her eyebrows at him, conveying exactly what she would take from him if he didn't tell her.

"You wouldn't."

"Wouldn't I?"

"You're only saying that because you know I'll tell you anyways," Jim reasoned.

Pam shrugged.

"You're tough, Beesly. Alright, here's the plan..."

 

End Notes:
JAM is on its way... I promise...
Results by receptionist
Author's Notes:
Not mine.

Jim and Pam came out of the break room and took their respective seats.  Pam began to type on her computer as Jim set to work, finishing a report on his computer.  The final game of the tournament was in progress: Kevin and Creed against Phyllis and Kelly (since Oscar had refused to play and Andy was taken out of the picture by Dwight once again).  

Keeping an eye on the conference room door, Jim reached across to Dwight's desk and picked up the bobblehead that looked like him.  At that time, Pam came to Jim's desk and leaned against it, facing him.  Under the desk, Jim unscrewed the cap to a silver thermos with "TechKnow" written across it in red, which he had received as a gift from a client.  He placed the bobblehead inside.

"Hey, Jim," Pam said nonchalantly.

"Oh, hey, Pam."

"Hey, do you have a... like, a big mug--maybe a thermos--that I could borrow?  I just hate having to go back and forth with my little cup."

"Oh, sure, here you go," he said with a grin.  He handed her the silver thermos with no witnesses to the kidnapping.

"Thanks," she replied, walking towards the break room.  Making sure no one saw her, Pam slipped into the women's bathroom and placed Dwight's bobblehead just inside the first stall, facing the toilet.

She walked out with the thermos, filling it with tea before she went back to her desk.  Jim gave her a knowing smile as she sat down and continued to type.

The tournament was finally over, and Dwight came out of the conference room.

"Attention, everyone--we have a winner!" Dwight said in a booming voice.  "Please help me to congratulate Kevin and Creed for their victory over the ladies!"

"Niiiiice," Kevin said from behind Dwight.

"So, is this a cash prize, or..?" Creed was asking.  

"No, Creed.  You get the joy of winning and the fun of spending time with your cowor-" Dwight paused mid-word, looking straight at his desk.  "Jim Halpert, where is my bobblehead?"

Jim furrowed his brows and tilted his head.  "What bobblehead?"

"The one in my likeness!" he exclaimed.   Pam noticed Angela peeking her head over the divider.   "What have you done with it?"

Jim shook his head and shrugged.  "I don't know what you are talking about, Dwight."

"Jim, just stop!  Tell me where the bobblehead is and I won't get Michael involved in this."

Again, Jim shrugged.   Meanwhile, Meredith (who had been three hours late to work and had just come in) came out from the hallway, holding Dwight's bobblehead.  "Hey, look what I found while I was on the john."

"Oh my god, Dwight!" Pam exclaimed, putting a delicate hand to her chest.  "What was your bobblehead doing in the women's restroom?" 

"Pervert," Phyllis mumbled.  

"Give that to me immediately," Dwight demanded, stomping over to Meredith.  "That is personal property and--"

"Yeah, your property.  So why was it in the women's restroom?" Jim interrupted.

"I did not put it in there!"

"Dwight, I really thought you were above that," Pam sighed sincerely.  "I am SO disappointed in you.  And I really think that Noelle would also be disappointed," she added almost in a whisper.  She shook her head and looked down.

"I DID NOT PUT MY BOBBLEHEAD IN THE LADIES' RESTROOM!" Dwight exclaimed.  "I haven't even been IN the ladies' restroom before!"

Jim tilted his head.  "You sure about that?"

"Absolutely."

"What about the time you ran in there to rescue that baby?"

Dwight sighed.  "There was no baby, Jim.  You know that because YOU put me up to it!"

"Well, yes, but... you still went in there, right?" Jim asked.

Dwight pursed his lips.  "I will not discuss this with you any longer.  I am going to find some disinfectant."

As Dwight stormed off into the break room,  Jim turned to Pam, and they long-distance high-fived each other.

 

***

 

After work, Jim offereed to take Kevin and Creed out for a drink for their accomplishment.  Pam, Meredith, Kelly, Phyllis and Bob joined them.

"You think he'll keep the foosball table in there?" Kevin asked as the waitress brought them a round of beer.

"I kinda doubt it," Jim said sympathetically. "But man, Kevin--I had no idea you were so good at foosball!"

"Yeah, I played some in college.  I wanted to go pro, but... had to make money," he said with a shrug.

Jim shook his head in astonishment.  "Drummer, foosball player, poker player, and fantasy football afficionado... you never cease to amaze me, Kev."

"Is that why you picked him when we played 'Who would you do'?" Pam asked with a devilish grin.

"That is exactly why," he replied, putting an arm around her waist.  While everyone else around them talked about the day's events, Jim leaned to Pam and whispered, "But you know he was only my second choice.  I was just too shy to say my number one choice."

Pam grinned, knowing his meaning.  "So who was your first choice?"

Jim looked up at the ceiling, as if thinking wistfully.  "Michael."

Pam burst out laughing, nearly spilling the drink in her hand.

"Careful, there, Beesly," Jim said, taking the drink from her hands.  "You're not even drunk yet and you're already spilling your drink.  I think I may have to drive you home tonight."

Pam gave him a grin.  "Maybe I should drink more to make sure that happens," she growled.

"Well, I can't have you too drunk--that just wouldn't be right."

"So what about last Friday?"

Jim bit his lip.  "But I was drunk, too.  So you took advantage of me as much as I did you."

Pam rolled her eyes and sipped her beer.  "Then I guess we need to get a little more booze in you, Halpert."

He laughed.  "I guess so, Beesly." 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2093