From Different Perspectives by Becca Lavender
Summary: Ryan and Jim are both at something of a crossroads after the events of The Job. They examine each other's lives, and gain some perspectives on their own lives at the same time.
Categories: Other, Present, Alternate Universe Characters: Jim, Jim/Pam, Ryan
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Adult language, No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 26448 Read: 46717 Published: July 11, 2007 Updated: September 11, 2007

1. Ryan's Last Day by Becca Lavender

2. Reality Sets In by Becca Lavender

3. Jim and Ryan's Sales Call by Becca Lavender

4. The Mediation by Becca Lavender

5. Ryan Returns Again by Becca Lavender

6. Ambition Envy by Becca Lavender

7. Big Apple's Big Party by Becca Lavender

8. Ryan's Proposal by Becca Lavender

9. What a Difference a Year Makes by Becca Lavender

10. The Pieces Fall into Place by Becca Lavender

11. The Secret is Out by Becca Lavender

12. Making it Happen by Becca Lavender

13. Swayed by Boyish Charm by Becca Lavender

14. Respecting Authority by Becca Lavender

15. Jim, Pam and the Three Bosses by Becca Lavender

16. Futons and Coffeehouses by Becca Lavender

17. Dunder-Mifflin: Where Dreams Come True by Becca Lavender

Ryan's Last Day by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
We're starting with Ryan's view, next we'll switch to Jim.  Let me know if I have something here-I'm a newbie!

It wasn't until after he had blurted out his break-up with Kelly that it all sunk in: everything was changing.  It had been quite the turn of events, and he couldn't quite wrap his mind around the rapid ascent he had made up the corporate ladder. 

 Hell, he seemed to have skipped the ladder altogether and somehow managed to find an elevator.

 Kelly had long since gone running into the women's room, likely to cry.  Everything was so dramatic with her that he couldn't be sure that deep down she wasn't just a little bit happy to be experiencing a dramatic break up. 

Now he would be her boss. Amazingly, as he looked around the office, he realized all of these people would be his underlings.  Except Toby.  For some reason, the thought of Toby was suddenly drawing a little ire he had not expected, but he decided not to question it.

Ryan took a deep breath and shook his head in disbelief.  He had been hoping to use this experience to move up in the world, but he had somehow always thought that would also entail moving on.  This largely had to do with the fact that he knew once he had moved from being The Temp to salesman that he sucked at his job.  Like, really sucked. 

This was one of the more embarrassing aspects of his time in Scranton, even worse than doggedly running errands for Michael or being talked down to as The Temp by Dwight.  He would rather go to Carbondale for pudding cups every day than endure another crack about his lack of sales.  He thinks he would rub butter on Michael's feet or help him from the bathroom to make just one sale. 

It was all very mind blowing.  Even a freak like Dwight was able to make sales, and do it well.  How the hell did Dwight do it?   Dwight had no social skills, and even less education.  But somehow he managed to be an excellent salesman, as was Michael.  The only reasoning that Ryan could find behind this success was dogged determination and a love of the company and the job that Ryan could not fathom.

 Ryan had tried to make up for this through knowledge and education, and hoped that the salesmanship would somehow come to him. But no matter how hard he studied to excel at business school, he never could become a salesman. 

For some reason, the person that irked him the most on this front was Jim.  Jim, who could manage to plot out an elaborate Office Olympics and bring the whole office together, including Stanley, and still manage to make more sales in that day than Ryan had in his entire time at Dunder-Mifflin.  It just somehow wasn't right to slack that much and take nothing seriously, yet have it all be so freaking easy.  Charm can definitely make up for a lot, which is something Jim had in spades. And Ryan knew he didn't, so he decided to go for a general air of superiority instead.

Jim really probably could sell an Eskimo an air-conditioner, especially if said Eskimo were a female.  Ryan had a feeling he couldn't sell an Eskimo a husky. 

Ryan was glad to see that Jim had apparently not gotten the corporate job.  Jim had seemed to have buckled down since his return from Stamford, but six months of hard work should not lead to the career fast track.  Ryan had done Michael's doing without (direct) complaint for over two years, while Jim had simply smirked at the cameras or Pam.  Ryan was not pleased when he saw Jim was in line to move up and out of Scranton.  Ryan had been sure that Jim was going to get it.  But those three magic letters, MBA had won out in the end, so all was right in the world.

Ryan decided it was probably time to head home, and worked his way toward the exit.  He hung back a bit when he spotted Jim and Pam huddled together and staring at the closed blinds of Michael's office.

"Should one of us go in?" Pam asked. 

"Would you like for us to be able to have dinner before midnight?"  Jim asked, and grinned a bit too widely.

"You have a point. I imagine he'll get over it.  Wait until he finds out you chose to come back to him."

"This will be a nice change from when he thought I was the one who had betrayed him by transferring," Jim said, then pondered for a second. "Actually, this could be much worse than when he was betrayed.  He might want us to be BFF again, and we can relate over not 'wanting' to leave Scranton for New York."

"Oooh, maybe he'll try and kiss you like he did me over our shared knowledge of broken engagements."

"What?"

Ryan thought that this was as good of a time as any to make his presence known.  There was really no chance that this wouldn't be awkward, especially now that Ryan knew that Jim had turned down the job at corporate.  He should have figured Jim would never really fully relinquish his ham and cheese existence.  Stamford and Karen were an aberration, as the real Jim really didn't like change.  After all, Ryan's postcard from Australia had somehow gotten lost in the mail.

"So, uh, how's he taking it?"  Ryan asked.

At that moment, Michael opened his office door.  His eyes were bloodshot, and he moved forward as soon as he spotted Ryan. 

He pointed his finger at Ryan and screamed, "YOU!" and then ran back into his office.

Jim made a face for the cameras that had already gone home for the day, and Ryan glanced down.

"I guess that answers that question."

"Did you think he would take it personally or something?" Jim smirked.

"Hey, man, just looking out for number one.  I'm heading out.  I suppose I'll see you guys around when I come out on corporate visits."

A loud wail came from Michael's office. Jim gave Ryan a pat on the back and said, "Good luck, buddy.  You get to be Michael Scott's boss.  I wouldn't trade places with you for the world."

With that, Jim smirked a bit and wrapped his arm around Pam's shoulder. 

"See you around, Ryan, " Pam said, not unkindly.

Ryan gave them an exasperated wave and left the office for the last time as an employee of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. 

 

 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Reality Sets In by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Now, Jim's take on things.

Jim stared at the elevator has it closed behind Ryan's form.  This had really been the most surreal day of his life.

 Some of it was good, and some of it was not working out quite how he had thought it would.

Ryan was not supposed to get the job.  When had he even been in the running?  Jim had never quite known what to make of Ryan.  He always looked detached and patronizing, yet would do absolutely every crap assignment handed his way, a frown or a grimace on his face the whole time.

He acted like he was some sort of martyr of corporate America.  Not to mention being a martyr to clingy, commitment hungry women.  Jim used to hate seeing the way Ryan treated Kelly, and Jim couldn't help but feel a bit responsible for being their initial go between.  Jim would rather not admit to himself how he hasn't really treated women all that much better himself, especially recently.

Things were not turning out how they were supposed to.  He had felt so sure that Karen would get the job.  Which fit wonderfully into the gallant and romantic gesture he was making.

He was triumphantly returning to the woman he loves,  leaving the woman who had not been quite right in New York to live a life that suited her more than any life with him ever could.  It was all so fitting and right that Karen would get the job.  Win-win-win.   

He had actually felt somewhat noble, following his heart to Scranton.  Now he felt like a bit of a prick.   

 "Where did you just go?"  Pam asked him, breaking him from his revelry.

"Ryan is the new Jan.  It's unreal."

"It is a bit unreal.  Are you excited yet that there might be an opening for 'hottest' at this year's Dundies?" 

"From what you were just saying Michael would pick you, with the kiss and everything," he quipped back. 

"Rejected kiss!"

"Sure, sure.  I figured two lost souls like yours would unite...."

"I hate you, you know that."

"I do. And yet I will continue to tease you mercilessly about that romantic moment for years to come." 

Pam smiled, then turned serious.  "You seem bothered by the fact that Ryan got the job.  Do you have any regrets?"

Jim hesitated for a moment.  "I am happy to be here with you right now.  I just don't understand how Ryan got that job.  We went on a sales call together once, and you could tell he learned everything from a book.  Nothing was natural."

"Not everyone can be as charming as you, you know," Pam said, smiling at him a bit shyly.

"No, you're right.  And I shouldn't look down at those without my natural gifts.  I just thought for sure that the job would be Karen's," Jim blurted, and instantly regretted it when he saw Pam's face fall.

"Yeah, I didn't know Ryan was a candidate.  As far as I know, he didn't even interview in New York."

"I didn't see him there.  He's going to be pretty smug when he comes in and has to try and keep Michael in line as his superior after all the time serving as Michael's disgruntled servant.  Watching that dynamic won't be pretty " Jim spit out, with more vitriol than he had meant to use.

"I don't know if I've ever heard you sound so harsh, even when talking about Dwight.  Are you just watching out for Michael, or is there something else?"

"Nope, just showing my love for Michael.  Really, I'm jealous that he tried to kiss you."

Pam rolled her eyes, and said nothing. 

"I'm sorry, on to cheerier topics.  We should go get gussied up for our night out," Jim said. 

"Night out?  What happened to 'it's a date'?" 

"Just trying to take the pressure off."

"What pressure.  It's just me.  C'mon, are you afraid of me Halpert?" 

Right the reality of everything hit Jim, and he knew why Ryan getting the job fired him up so much, even beyond Karen.  It was so real now.  It had all moved so fast, taking the interview on a lark and then traisping around New York with Karen. Things had been surreal, like it had really been a show for the documentary and not his actual life.  The job had never felt real to him.  That was why he couldn't take it-when he looked ten years into the future, all he saw was Pam. 

But the reality of it all hit him now that he saw Ryan, the former temp, moving up so swiftly and leaving him right where he had been for so long.  He had really gone all in with him Pam now, and it was all or nothing.  They still had so much to work out.

He looked down to see her still smiling at him, though her smile had grown a little wistful.  His heart lightened a bit, just seeing her smile.

She was clearly expecting him to make a quip, but instead he looked her straight in the eyes, dead serious.

"Actually, Pam, you terrify me."

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Jim and Ryan's Sales Call by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is a long one, folks.  Ryan recalls a sales call he and Jim went on.  And thanks to those who left such nice reviews-it made my week!  Please keep letting me know if I should keep plugging away, or if I'm boring you.....

Ryan was only one week into his job at corporate before he was forced to make a visit to the Scranton branch.  He had been told in no uncertain terms that he was to come in and set some ground rules with Michael, especially given the strange dynamic that his promotion was going to create. 

Of course, he probably would have been able to do it by phone  if Michael would actually speak to him.  Instead, Jim had been his go-between.  Jim seemed to be taking no small amount of pleasure in his role.

"Jim, can you tell Michael that he will have to talk to me when I get there?  I am on my way now.  I'll hopefully be there in a couple of hours."

"Oh, Michael said to tell you he's dead."

"Nice."

"He also said to tell you that the numbers have gone up since you left, so it's clear you were no big loss.  I think that's the broken heart talking though."

"Why is he taking this so personal?  It was a huge promotion."

"You have met Michael, haven't you?  There is no line.  We're family here in Scranton, after all."

"Sour grapes, Halpert?"

"Nope.  I am where I chose to be.  So, are we going to be seeing you as often as we saw Jan?  I'm not sure Kelly has enough 'look what you passed up' outfits for that."

Ryan sighed.  "Can you just get Pam to babysit Michael so he doesn't leave?"

"Michael won't be leaving.  He already made reservations at Chili's for the three of us.  Because we need reservations at Chili's.  At 11:30.  On a Wednesday."

"Why the three of us?"

"Because as Assistant Regional Manager, I was named mediator.  We are not leaving until we win-win-win."

"Fine.  I'll see you then."

With that Ryan hung up, and shook his head in exasperation.  He already knew Jim was going to have way too much fun in his role as mediator.  He just hoped he didn't bring Pam along so they could tag team him.  It always unnerved him a bit  how in sync they would be when they would amuse themselves at the expense of others.  He rarely saw them plot anything, yet they always seemed to know what the other was thinking. 

Ryan almost never seemed to quite know what to expect out of people, which he knew was one of the reasons he was such a crappy salesperson.  Jim was so much better at hitting those right notes with people, which he seemed to innately do.  Because Jim could never get caught trying hard at anything. 

Ryan started to think back to the time he accompanied Jim on a sales call.  It was right after he had returned from Stamford, and Ryan still had no luck making sales.  He was hoping that maybe Jim could give him some further guidance, as he seemed to have a gift with sales considering his general lack of dedication to the endeavor.

Jim had amicably agreed to let him come along, which Ryan had expected.  He had also expected the comment about not expecting to learn much, as Jim even bored himself on sales call.  Too much talking about paper.

"Well, that's what I'm trying to learn how to do.  So I would appreciate any guidance you have," Ryan said, trying to sound appreciative and not irritated.

"Sure.  Just don't say I didn't warn ya."

Jim drove, while Ryan sat back and mentally prepared. 

"Do you want to take the lead?  It's not a client I've worked with before, so I don't think they have any huge attachment to me."

"Okay.  Thanks man."

"No problem."

"So, how desperate were you to come to me for help?  I heard you already had gone on a call with Dwight, which is pretty desperate in its own right."

"Dwight wasn't so bad.  Well, he did abandon me on the beet farm.  And he wanted me to wrestle his cousin Mose."

"Wow, Dwight really let you into the inner sanctum.  Dwight and I have been on dozens of sales calls, and I've never had the privilege of seeing the beet farm."

"If you laid off the guy a bit you might get the opportunity someday," Ryan said, a bit testier than he intended.

"Maybe.  But then what would I do with my days? Sell paper?"

Ryan decided to let that go, as he didn't feel like discussing Jim's general lack of motivation and ambition.  Ryan didn't get it, and he didn't really care to.

Thankfully, they arrived at the client's office shortly thereafter.

True to his word, Jim let Ryan take the lead.  Which was a way of putting things nicely, as Ryan floundered a bit from the get-go, forgetting to keep it simple as Dwight had advised.

Instead, he started rattling off numbers and random information from the company's website.  He talked about how it was smart to go with the smaller outfit, as it would lead to increased productivity overall for staff who would not be constantly making complaint calls or waiting for orders.  Eventually, Ryan wasn't sure what he was saying.  But he was pretty sure most of it had come from his textbooks, and hoped he had at least sounded educated.

The client, a portly middle-aged man, just smiled at him.  "Well, son, I really just was interested in buying some paper.  But thanks for the business model advice."

Jim then came to life.  "Well, sir, thank you for your patience.  Young Ryan here is just starting out, and he just wanted to show you how smart he is.  But don't worry, I can definitely hook you up with some mean paper.  Plain, three whole punched, recycled, you name it."

Jim proceeded to outline price packages, and talked more succinctly about the value of good customer service.  "Ryan mentioned to you our superior customer service, which was an excellent point. Do you really want your office staff to shoot themselves while listening to muzak on hold with Staples? "

The client chuckled a bit, and told him he would review the price packages and get back to them, and asked Jim for his card.  "I will be dealing with you directly, right Jim?"

Ryan looked down, embarrassed.  "Yes, sir.  I will take on your account personally, and you only will deal with me and our lovely receptionist."

Jim thanked him for his time, and with that they walked out. 

When they started driving back, Ryan shook his head in disgust with himself.  "That did not go well. Why can't I get this?  Do you know how many marketing classes I've taken?"

"How many?"

"Enough.  Enough to be able to make one sale."

"Well, I've been doing this a long, long, long time.  It gets better, but I think you are basing your sales strategy on a different sort of product."

"What do you mean?"

"We don't necessarily have a better product.  We sell paper.  Don't forget at the end of the day, a good portion of what we sell will be shredded.  So who really cares what sort of paper it is, and why not just go with the cheapest source?"

"Customer service is what we sell.  I know that."

"No, grasshopper.  It is not entirely what we sell.  We are selling ourselves.  You have to make sure they like you.  That is your first priority.  Make them laugh, loosen them up.  Make buying paper like a call to a friend."

Ryan sat back and realized he was right.  And he was also a bit taken aback.  Jim had clearly put some thought into this, and really knew what he was doing.  His natural charm helped him, but Jim was savvy enough to know that his personality was his greatest asset in making sales.

"You know, you're really good at this.  I wish things came as naturally to me," Ryan said.

Jim chuckled a bit. "Some people just aren't born to sell paper for a living like I am," Jim said, clearly trying to deflect away the compliment.

"Why do you do that, man?"

"Do what?"

"You do clearly know what you are doing, and you are good at your job.  But you just outwardly blow it all off like it's no big deal, and you're above it all."

"Wow. Getting intense, there Temp."

Jim had rarely if ever called him Temp.  It was so typically flippant of him. 

"Whatever, man.  Thanks for helping show me the ropes."

Jim took a breath, and Ryan wasn't sure if Jim was angry or going to make another glib remark.  Instead, he chose that moment to look sincere.

"Look, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to turn this into something awkward.  I'll tell you why I don't beam with pride all the time from a job well done."

Ryan nodded, feeling a bit strange that Jim was opening up to him.

"If I really and truly gave this my everything, then "I'm a paper salesman" might become the answer to the question of who I am, and not just what I do for a living.  I'm not sure I could take that."

"Well, then, who are you now?"

"I'd like to say a work in progress.  Ask me again in a couple of years."

___________________________________________________________________

Ryan snapped out of his memory and pulled into the Dunder-Mifflin Scranton parking lot, braving himself to face Michael and endure Jim-as-mediator. 

However, remembering that not so long ago conversation with Jim made it seem so much more manageable, as knowing Jim's biggest fear made him more vulnerable in his eyes, no matter what Jim tried to pull over on him during this "mediation." 

Ryan knew that Jim's biggest fear was to some day wake up and be Michael.  For Jim's sake, Ryan sure hoped things were working out with Pam, or ten years from now that might be exactly who he would become.  A man who has nothing in his life other than his mid-level manager job, no identity other than that as a paper salesman. 

At least Ryan knew he was avoiding that fate.  After all, he was an executive of a company that sold paper.  That made a huge difference. 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
The Mediation by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Ryan is back in Scranton sooner than he ever expected, and Michael's still in a snit. And Jim gets to mediate. It's win-win-win time.
Jim is strangely excited about the prospect of mediating the Michael/Ryan conflict. He decided that he needed to strategize with Pam beforehand to best figure out to approach this duty. As he grabbed a jellybean and leaned in closer to plot with his favorite accomplice, Jim felt almost giddy. He missed this.

"So, I'm stuck on how to best approach this. I'm tempted to just use a monotone voice and use the guide, just to irk Ryan. I could also try and do something crazy like work out a compromise, which would make Michael go nuts and try and mediate his own conflict," Jim said in a conspiring tone.

"Jim, don't you want to be a winner too? In the win-win world of compromise, the only loser is the mediator."

"You know I can be very unselfish when I want to be," Jim replied with a bit of a leer. Pam just blushed a little bit, clearly thinking back to the previous night at her apartment. Jim grinned back at her, and they just goofily stared at each other for a second.

Pam shook her head, remembering where she was. "So, what are you leaning towards?"

"I don't know. I am also unclear why Michael thinks this calls for mediation, when what he needs is a therapist. Though Jan may need it more."

"Ugh, you don't even know the half of it," Pam shuddered, recalling far too many intimate details of Michael and Jan's lives.

"Nor do I want to. We really don't need to share everything."

"Agreed. I have a feeling that we don't want to compare notes, as that would just double our knowledge." At that moment, the elevator doors opened and Ryan stepped out.

"Hey, man," Jim said in a friendly tone, but with a gleam in his eye. Ryan just looked a bit wary.

"Where's Michael?"

"Hey Ryan. Michael's in his office, writing down notes for lunch using "I" statements. He's taking this mediation very seriously," Pam informed him.

Ryan sighed. "Can we just get going?"

"I'll go get him," Pam said, leaving the two men to chat amongst themselves.

Ryan and Jim looked awkwardly at one another for a moment, without much to say.

"So, Kelly declared that her mourning period for you ended today. There was a very intricate analysis involved, but I'm afraid I didn't quite catch it all. It definitely involved a combination of duration, expectations, and hotness. Apparently you rated pretty high to get a week of mourning," Jim told him dryly.

There was another awkward pause.

"So, uh, you and Pam, huh?" Ryan asked.

Jim couldn't help but grin a bit. "We're trying it out. So far, so good."

"I can't believe you passed up a chance to leave this place for a girl," Ryan shook his head, then winced a bit.

Jim wasn't sure why Ryan cared-after all, it worked out to his benefit. He really wanted to not care what Ryan or anyone else thought, because after all he was following his heart. But his heart had not been guiding him too well for the past year, and sometimes he was worried that it led him to be a bit too impulsive. How many times could he almost leave this place and end up back here before the opportunites stopped coming? Would he be Stanley one day, with pretzel day a highlight and his only dream a healthy severance?

The sad thing was, beyond Pam, he had no real dreams. He didn't even like pretzels all that much.

Jim was snapped out of his revelry by Pam's emergence from Michael's office. She had clearly been doing some major Michael-sitting.

"He promised he will come out soon. He spent this whole time trying to talk me into coming and documenting this session, but I told him my PMS was preventing me," Pam said.

"Why would that prevent you from coming? This sort of occasion definitely needs thorough documentation, after all," Jim said, grinning at her.

"I told him the emotions might overtake me, and I might not be able to be objective. He said he understood that I just cared too much to risk that. I had to pull out the big guns when I reminded him of my lifetime Chili's ban and he offered to help disguise me."

"Nice. Why do I never have the good excuses?"

"I thought you'd be better at this by now, Halpert," Ryan chimed in.

"Hey, don't get on my bad side. I can make win-win into win-lose in a heartbeat."

"You definitely have all the power," Ryan said, then there was silence. The fact that Ryan now actually had the power was suddenly remembered by all.

Finally, Michael emerged from his office. "There is only one thing that is non-negotiable: we are getting an awesome blossom."

"And the mediator says....Yes. But I think you lose some points for starting with such a strong stance," Jim said.

"There are no points in mediation! Did you ask Dwight for advice or something?"

"Did you read the whole book, Michael? There are indeed points. And you have negative four. But I'll go ahead and bump you to negative three because I probably would have insisted on an Awesome Blossom myself."

"How do we know who wins?" Ryan asked detachedly.

"When you guys are even, of course. That's when it's win-win."

"Win," Pam chimed in.

"Thank you, I keep forgetting about my personal victory," Jim called over his shoulder on the way to the elevator.

Jim drove, as Michael insisted that a neutral car was important to this being a serious mediation. Jim refused to give him a point.

After they sat down and ordered their Awesome Blossom, Jim decided to get started.

"Okay, using "I" statements to demonstrate your personal feelings, please outline your current position on this new dynamic. The person who says "I" the most within his alotted three sentences gets two points," Jim said in a monotone, as though reciting the manual.

"Jim, I really don't remember this points system. Are you sure you read the right manual?" Michael asked.

"Yes, it's in Appendix B, Part 2C: Explanations as to how to get to desired outcomes."

Michael still looked skeptical. Ryan just stared.

"Ryan, since you're in the lead, you go first!"

Ryan sighed. "I feel that you need to get over my promotion, and just let me do my job. If you do, then I don't need to come out as often as Jan did. I feel that would be a good thing for us all," Ryan said.

"Wow, Ryan, you suck at this worse than sales calls!" Michael exclaimed.

"Can you top that Michael, for two points?"

"I feel betrayed that my protege would do this to me while I am feeling vulnerable with Jan. I feel that we are a family, and I feel that families should stay together forever. I feel that you are showing no appreciation for all I have done for you in the business world, and I feel you are not grateful for my role in getting your promotion," Michael spit out, looking sad.

"And, two points to Michael," Jim said enthusiastically. Michael perked up. Ryan shrugged.

"And, match point right here. If Michael wins this next point, then it's win-win-win and we can all go home satisfied and smiling," Jim said, with a bit of a smirk toward the camera.

"That's what she said!" Michael cried out.

"And we have a winner! The point was based on catching the that's what she said moment," Jim said. "Here are your certificates." Jim rummaged through his messenger bag and produced two certificates.

Michael looked at his and read outloud, "Congratulations! You are a winner! Your conflict was successfully resolved. Signed, Jim Halpert, Assistant Regional Manager and Mediator."

"Okay, now stand up in front of the table, wrap your arms around each other's shoulders and display your certificates. I want to take a picture," Jim said.

"I'll have it framed for you by your next visit, Ryan," Michael said happily.

Ryan reluctantly stood up, and did as told. But he did not smile.

"That non-smiling thing is really sultry, Ryan. Sorry, should I not say such suggestive things to the big boss?" Jim asked.

"Never stopped me!" Michael bellowed.

"Can we go now? I need to drive back."

"I think so. My work here is done," Jim said.

On the way out, Michael stopped by the restroom, leaving Ryan and Jim alone.

"So, do you feel better about things now?" Jim asked.

"I always felt fine."

"No fear of how long Michael would give you the silent treatment?"

"Not sure which alternative is better."

Jim couldn't help but smile. "Touche."

"So, was that whole mediation a prank on me or on Michael, or both?"

"A little of both."

"I knew you wouldn't take this seriously."

"Do tell, how does one take such a mediation seriously, boss?"

Ryan shook his head and shrugged, and then a small smile crept in. "Okay, I will admit your methods were effective and efficient."

"That's why I get the desk with the spectacular view," Jim said, smiling.

End Notes:
I own nothing-no character, no stories, and intend no copyright infringement.
Ryan Returns Again by Becca Lavender
Ryan had been working at Corporate for six weeks, and the adjustment had not been quite what he had imagined. He had known that working for Dunder-Mifflin, at the corporate office or elsewhere, was not his long-term plan. But he had at least expected to feel more content here.

This had not been the case. God help him, but he actually missed Scranton sometimes. He had never been one that needed a lot of people in his life to be happy, but he had the feeling that if something terrible happened to him that no one would notice for weeks. Everything was just a little too cold and impersonal here, with people just going about their jobs. And with no real connections in the city, it was a bit of a lonely existence.

In Scranton, Kelly and Michael would have been racing each other to call the police if he had been missing for an hour. He had hoped for some sort of happy medium between these two extremes, but so far it was not working out that way.

Today Ryan was heading back to Scranton for the second time, and there had been a surprising turn of events: Ryan was actually kind of looking forward to it.

Things had been going much better in his relationship with Michael since the "mediation" that Jim ran. Ryan had to give the guy credit-he was incredibly adept at reading people. Jim knew Michael just wanted some validation, and that Ryan just wanted Michael to quit pouting. And Jim had managed to succeed , all the while having some fun with it. Not to mention making it appear entirely effortless.

Now Ryan was having to just call and get reports from Michael every week, and generally without incident. Every third call, Ryan had to get the reports from Jim because Pam told him that Michael said to tell him he was busy.

When he had called the day before, it was one of those times. Ryan had sighed and told her to put Jim on.

"Jim, can you give me the weekly report again this week? Apparently Michael is busy once again."

"Are you impressed by his unavailability?"

"Yes, managers always like it when their subordinates are unavailable to them. So what's he really doing?"

Ryan could almost visualize the look on Jim's face as he delivered the answer. Ryan was pretty sure Jim was also leisurely leaning back in his chair, enjoying the moment.

"Well, it's hard to tell. His blinds are down, but I occasionally see him peek at me quickly as though I won't notice. "

"Can you please pass along that I want to come in and visit with everyone in the office tomorrow?"

"Did you inform the party planning committee? I think Angela might be pretty pissed about the short notice. Especially now that you so cruelly left them short-staffed."

"It's not a party. It's a serious meeting to introduce myself in my position, and try and instill a more inclusive atmosphere message from corporate."

"So what color streamers should be there be for that?"

Sadly, Ryan knew there probably would be a party. And he had a feeling who would suggest it to Michael.

Jim continued on, "I think some sort of apple theme seems appropriate, for the Big Apple and all. And by the way, I told Andy that's what you like to be called now."

Ryan was actually strangely enjoying this conversation. He actually could picture all of this happening, and he felt a certain nostalgia. At least in Scranton life wasn't about selling paper to the extent it was at Corporate.

"Anyhow, can you also pass along to everyone to come prepared with suggestions about how Corporate can be more effective in their interactions with the branch offices?"

"I think you should start by telling Michael that Corporate is sending a second HR person. But that this one will be an attractive female that by corporate mandate must sit in the back with Toby."

"I'll take it under advisement."

There was a bit of awkward silence, and Ryan knew he should probably get in touch with the Albany branch to plan that meeting. But he was also a bit reluctant to hang up for some reason.

"So, uh, how is the Big Apple, Big Apple?"

"Way too bright lights, big city for you Halpert."

There was again an awkward pause, and Ryan wasn't sure why he suddenly had gotten a bit hostile. This was the closest thing to a conversation not about sales and figures and paper that he'd had in a month.

"It probably is too much for my simple ways. I wasn't really interested anyhow, just kissing the boss's ass."

Ryan rolled his eyes. He let go the unspoken question of how kissing Ryan's ass would get Jim anywhere he actually wanted to go.

Ryan really didn't know what was wrong with him, but he couldn't seem to end this conversation. He finally blurted, "Hey, man, would you maybe want to go grab a beer after the meeting tomorrow?"

Jim took a second before answering. "Us, alone? What about Michael? Dwight? What will I tell Kevin?"

"Look, never mind. I don't know why I asked."

Ryan knew then that Jim's damned intuition was probably kicking in, and Jim would do the nice thing like he always did for Michael.

"No, let's go grab a beer and catch up. You can catch me up on how exciting the bright lights of the big city are."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow at the meeting."

"I'll pass along your message to the rest. I make no guarantees of productive suggestions."

"I wouldn't expect any. Talk to you tomorrow."

Ryan hung up, and did feel a little bit of anticipation for the next day.

_______________

Now Ryan was again standing outside Dunder-Mifflin Scranton, ready to return again. This time he felt a great deal of ambivalence, which was a much different feeling than the dread he had felt every single time he had entered this building before.

Maybe absence did make the heart grow fonder.
End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Ambition Envy by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Ryan returns for an all-office meeting and party, told through Jim's POV.
Jim knows Ryan has arrived when he hears Andy bellow out, "Hey, Big Apple!"

Jim grins a bit. He bets Ryan thought he was kidding about that.

Jim knows this is going to be quite the day. There is nothing quite like an all-office meeting in the conference room. That this one will be run by Ryan just adds to the intrigue.

Jim almost wanted to do a little something extra to mess with Ryan for this meeting, but something about his tone in their conversation the day before kept him from doing so. Jim had figured Ryan would come in with a huge burst of bravado, but Jim could sense the undercurrent of isolation that Ryan's promotion had brought him, and Jim could relate.

When he had first arrived in Stamford, he realized that a functional, professional office could be a bit of a lonely place. Until he and Karen started hanging out more, the highlights of his days in Stamford had been messing with Dwight from afar, which he had realized was twice as pathetic as messing with Dwight in person. Of course, this had meant he had actually started to dedicate himself to his job more, given the lack of distractions. But, there was something pretty unsatisfying about becoming devoted to his job selling paper.

As far as this meeting went, Jim had a feeling it was going to get wacky without any help from him. Michael would likely see to that, not to mention everyone else.

Ryan walked past Andy after briefly shaking his hand, heading toward Pam at the reception desk. Jim wasn't sure how Andy had managed to be the first one to spot Ryan, but Jim knew Andy had a nose for opportunities to suck up to superiors.

Jim thought things might be immediately interesting, so he headed up to reception himself.

"Hello, Mr. Howard," Jim said, deadpan.

"Jim," Ryan said in response, and stuck his hand out to shake his, a bit formally.

"You guys are dorks," Pam said, giggling a bit.

"I'm just showing the new boss of my boss some respect, Pam. Who you just called a dork," Jim told her.

"I figured the new corporate regime would be pleased to have employees who call it like they see it. Am I right, Ryan?"

Ryan cleared his throat a bit, clearly trying to maintain some professionalism. "I'm actually glad you said that, Pam. Part of what I'm here for today is to try and reach out to the employees in the branches to get a gauge on what corporate can do to make their offices run most effectively."

Jim raised his hand a bit, not able to resist bringing Ryan down a notch. "Quick question: Will there be videos?"

Ryan chose to ignore him, and turned to Pam. "Can you just tell Michael I'm here?"

Pam called Michael through the speakerphone. "Michael, Ryan's here and ready to start the meeting. Should I tell people to head to the conference room?"

"No, Pamela. Not right now. Make Ryan wait 15 minutes. While our mediation smoothed a lot out, he still has to remember I am the boss here, even if at Corporate they say he is my boss. That doesn't change my place here and my role over my employees."

"Michael, Ryan is standing right here. And I'm on speakerphone."

"Pick up the receiver Pam. God!"

Pam picked up the receiver, shooting Ryan and Jim a grin.

"Okay, just me now." Pam listened a second, and then said, "Okay."

Pam put down the phone, and rolled her eyes. "He said we'll start the meeting in 15 minutes."

"So, Ryan, give us a preview. What his corporate going to do for us?" Pam asked. Jim couldn't quite read if she was being nice, was giving him a hard time, or was actually interested.

"Actually, Pam, I had wanted to speak to you personally. We are looking to give each branch a website, and with your interest in design, I was thinking you'd be a good candidate to design and run this branch's site," Ryan told her.

Now Ryan had both Jim and Pam's attention.

"Ryan, that would be awesome, really. But, I just like to draw and stuff. I know nothing about web design."

Jim could tell she was still intrigued by the idea.

"You do know computers though. I bet you could learn. Who knows, that might be the best way to make money through art. You'd told me before graphic design interested you. Why not web design to start?" Jim said encouragingly.

"Actually, Corporate is sponsoring a web design seminar for one member of each branch office. It's still way more cost effective to have someone within the office do the work than to hire someone. And we like the idea of each branch's site having someone local running it to keep it most up to date and true to that office."

"God, Ryan. Thanks for thinking of me. I just don't know..."

"C'mon, Pam. You're smart, and you have a great eye. It might cut into the Solitaire time, and keeping me entertained time....But it would be a great skill to learn and I can't imagine you'd fail at it," Jim told her.

"Well, think about it. I'm going to go get set up," Ryan said.

Ryan went into the conference room, with Andy close on his heels.

Jim turned back to Pam, who was beaming. She seemed really flattered that Ryan had thought of her, that she had stood out to someone else in the office and wasn't completely invisible sitting back there behind the receptionist's desk.

There was a small part of Jim that wished that he had put that smile there, but he tamped it down.

"I think I will do it. You're right," she said.

"Of course I am. You can't keep turning down opportunities to get out of here, which learning web design might do. They might stop popping up," Jim said, without thinking.

He immediately realized his mistake, as Pam looked a little hurt, clearly thinking about the opportunity he himself had passed up.

"Are you sorry you passed up your chance to get out of here?" Pam asked.

Jim sighed. They had had this conversation before, with Pam worrying about him having regrets and someday resenting her for staying. He was good at alleviating her worries, as he didn't regret his decision to be with her.

He did kind of wish sometimes that it hadn't left him right back here, with no end in sight.

"Hey, we're talking about you here. I know you don't want to remain a receptionist forever, even if you told me before you were fine with your choices, which you clearly weren't," he said more curtly than he'd intended, the old wound from the past smarting a bit.

"And you were right. I was lying. I wasn't completely happy with my choices, and I am so much happier now that I moved on from Roy. I just worry sometimes that I'm your excuse for being in a rut career wise, and someday you'll hate me for it."

Jim sighed, and took a breath. He really didn't want to get angry. He also didn't want to admit that there was just a bit of truth to what she was saying. He didn't resent her, but he knew that it might be a possibility down the road if he were still working here five years from now, with her moved on to some fabulous design job, which he really hoped she would be doing.

"Look, we can't resolve everything at once. I am happy to be with you, and don't regret that I took a road that led us to be together. You should take the opportunity and hope it leads you somewhere. You can be my inspiration when you find your fancy new future job, and hopefully don't forget me when you become famous," he smiled at her.

She got up and came around and kissed him lightly, which was still more than they generally displayed in front of the office.

"I'll take the seminar and the new responsibility, which I am definitely excited about. This doesn't mean that this conversation is over, though. Your charm doesn't make me fail to notice that you never once said that you are happy to be still working here."

Jim just shrugged, knowing he'd been caught. "Six weeks together, and my charm is already failing. That is not a good sign," he said half-heartedly.

Pam gave him a weak smile in return, showing that the attempt at humor was also not going to make her forget the issues they still had to work out.

"You do know I just want you to be happy, and that I don't think this job does that, right? You get that I just want the same thing for you that you want for me..."

He ran his hand along her cheek, and looked into her eyes affectionately. "I do, I really do. I just wish I knew the answers right now. We've got time to figure out where my many talents can take me."

"Well, let's just let some of those only be used on a personal basis, okay?" She grinned, clearly ready to lighten the mood.

"I suppose some talents aren't very translatable to the workplace," he smiled back.

"Nope. But seriously, I feel like there is a great situation out there for you. And for me."

Michael stepped out of his office, and Jim and Pam took a step back from each other, having momentarily lost track of where they were.

"Okay, Scranton employees. Let's go to the conference room where one of our own will tell us about what corporate can do for us. And Ryan will always remain one of our own, and so on some level I will always be his boss," Michael said.

Everyone got up to head into the conference room.

As Jim walked in, he contemplated again some form of making the meeting worse on Ryan just for kicks. And maybe for a little payback for unintentionally instigating the tension filled talk he and Pam had just had.

He was really happy for Pam to have the opportunity to learn a new skill, but he really had not been ready to look even closer at the issue of what the future held for him outside of Pam. And Ryan seemed to have no exciting new opportunities lined up for him. Probably because he didn't really want any.

He did sort of envy Pam. She had a real talent, something clear and definable to pursue.

He, on the other hand, was charming and could sell paper. He wasn't sure where that could get him in life, other than higher up at this company.

And he was still pretty sure that he did not want that, especially as he watched Ryan head somewhat nervously to the easel to begin his speech.

Jim didn't envy Ryan his position at all. He did, however, envy his ambition.


End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Big Apple's Big Party by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Coming down the home stretch here-thanks to those who have kept following it. Reviews are definitely much appreciated!



Ryan drew in a deep breath as his former co-workers entered the conference room. He wasn't really sure what to expect. If there was anything he had learned in Scranton, it was to expect the unexpected when everyone was brought into the conference room.

Everyone had taken a seat except for Michael, who was of course up front right beside him.

"Ryan, I think you are going to be facing a tough crowd here. I'll just be right here in case they start to rebel on you," Michael told him.

"Thanks, Michael. I think I can handle it," Ryan said. He was already a little exasperated.

"I prepared for this meeting, just as you asked. Jim had the great idea that we use the suggestion box again. That way, we could go right to the party. All your feedback for Corporate is right here!" Michael said, handing Ryan the suggestion box with a grand gesture.

"Michael, I did have some things planned. For instance, there's a video Corporate wants all branches to see...." Ryan cringed when he said it, and sure enough saw the cameras pan to Jim who smirked into them accordingly. Indeed, Ryan had intended to show the requisite video from Corporate to outline his agenda.

"We'll watch it on Monday, and maybe resurrect Movie Monday....Now it's time to honor the Temp who has risen so far under my tutelage. Angela, bring in the brownies!"

Angela stiffly left the room, presumably to fetch the brownies. Ryan saw Pam and Phyllis also leave the room, clearly not having expected their party planning duties to be put into action quite so quickly.

Ryan knew it was pointless to argue, and he really knew the video was likely pointless as well. He was just glad he was being spared having to read the suggestions outloud.

"Thanks Michael. I'll read over the suggestions tonight."

"Ryan, can you come into my office for a minute?" Michael asked, a bit shyly. Ryan was definitely more than a little frightened, but decided the path of least resistance was to follow Michael.

When they arrived in Michael's office, Michael just stood in front of Ryan silently for what seemed to be an eternity before finally speaking.

"Ryan, you have outgrown your cocoon, and you are now a beautiful butterfly flying over the streets of New York. Nothing makes a mentor prouder than when the mentor lets the student loose to fly free. I want to give you something special."

"No, Michael, it's really not necessary...." Ryan stammered. He really had no idea what Michael would choose to give him. He was also thrown off balance by Michael's extreme shift in attitude, but he knew Michael could adapt his mood on a dime.

Michael walked over to his desk and picked up his "World's Best Boss" mug.

"Here, Ryan. I want you to have this. I know it would have meant the world to me if it had been given to me by one of my employees," Michael told him sincerely.

Ryan had absolutely no idea what say to that. He had thought Dwight had purchased Michael that mug, though he wasn't sure why he was surprised that Michael would proudly display a mug that gave him a self-proclaimed title.

"No, really Michael. I don't need it."

Michael looked really hurt. Ryan just wanted to get out of there.

Jim came in the room just then, clearly having overheard everything.

"Michael, I think Ryan just doesn't think he's earned the mug yet. He's only been a boss for six weeks, and I think it would be dishonoring you to take it with so little experience," Jim said. "Besides, when Ryan is at corporate he's really only the boss of Hunter. So he would need a travel mug to show off when he's at the branches."

Ryan looked to Michael to see if that helped at all.

While Ryan had always been the recipient of the creepy looks and off comments, Jim was the one Michael had always seemed to truly admire as the person he wanted to be like. And Jim was always so strangely protective of Michael, which Ryan had never fully understood given that Jim seemed to be openly mocking him when he wasn't protecting him.

Sure enough, Michael was perking up from Jim's comments. Jim really could appease Michael like no other.

Ryan really couldn't get over how perceptive Jim was sometimes. He often used that ability to push buttons for his own enjoyment, as he so often did to Dwight. But he also could smooth over a situation with ease, getting people to do things for his benefit as well. Ryan supposed that's what made him such an effortless salesman.

"Thank you Jim. And you're right. I'll try and find Ryan a travel mug. Then he can take it to Albany and Buffalo and show it off."

"I will definitely do that," Ryan said sarcastically, largely by instinct. Luckily, Michael didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

"Well guys, let's get to those brownies. I also hear Pam drew up a really nice banner for you Ryan," Michael said proudly.

"Are there sombreros? Then we'll have all the pieces of my favorite parties" Ryan said in his usual monotone.

"Of course! We've had those ever since last year's Christmas party!"

Ryan shook his head, the sarcasm continuing to be lost on Michael. It was probably just as well. He really wasn't trying to hurt Michael, but it was just so hard to take the ridiculousness seriously sometimes.

Ryan hung back with Jim a second as Michael quickly entered the conference room. "Thanks, man. I thought Michael was going to cry when I didn't take his mug. But seriously, what would I do with it?"

"I imagine it would go on your special shelf with your Dundie," Jim said.

"And my yogurt lid medal," Ryan said, instantly regretting the comment.

"Well, there is sometimes something to be said for sentiment. Speaking of which, aren't you even going ask about Kelly?"

Jim had quickly changed tone on him. It seemed the yogurt lid crack affected him more deeply than he would have thought. Ryan figured Jim must have treasured his as a souvenier of a day spent with Pam, which was just a bit pathetic considering that Pam had been engaged at the time.

"I've moved on. I told you from the beginning that I wasn't looking for anything serious," Ryan said.

"Yeah, and Kelly was so quiet about what she wanted."

"Fine, I'll bite. So where's Kelly?"

"Oh, she's on a trip with her new boyfriend. He apparently is way hotter than you," Jim told him. Jim shrugged. "Apparently Kelly got over you faster than Michael did."

Ryan let out a little laugh, and the tension that had been there quickly dissipated. Ryan knew he should feel guilty about the abruptness of his breakup with Kelly, but it had truly been a long time coming. Though Ryan had been feeling a bit lonely and even more detached as of late, he really didn't miss Kelly's constant chattering.

Though somehow, he was also relieved that he hadn't seen her. He had a feeling that she might draw him in again if he did. That girl definitely had some sort of strange pull on him that he didn't like to analyze too closely.

"You ready to face your big party?" Jim asked, abruptly changing the subject again.

"I think so. I definitely think I'll need a drink after all this. You still in for Poor Richard's afterwards?" Ryan asked, trying not to sound too hopeful.

"Sure, man. Are you sure you don't want Michael's mug? I hear it makes beer taste better. Plus, he actually has extras in his desk drawer."

"Really? That should be surprising, I guess."

"Yeah. That's Michael for you," Jim said, with a bit of affection in his voice. Ryan noted how Jim really did have an underlying affection for this place, even if his sarcasm and looks to the camera would lead one to believe otherwise.

Ryan was swiftly realizing that his earlier nostalgia was not making him wish he were back here. But he was again enjoying talking to Jim for some reason, and again watching Jim in person reminded him of the ease Jim had with people that Ryan lacked.

Ryan was beginning to formulate an idea, and he was really looking forward to discussing it with Jim at Poor Richard's.

"Let's get this over with. I'm ready for that beer," Ryan told Jim as they entered the conference room.
End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended
Ryan's Proposal by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is it. Thanks to everyone who has been following it. It's been great getting reviews-it's helped me keep plugging away on this little first time venture.
Jim was somewhat amazed that the office party in Ryan's honor had actually been like a party from a normal office. People ate some food, chatted a bit, then went home.

Of course, for Dunder-Mifflin Scranton, the only office Jim had really been a part of, this made it a strange day. He would never have guessed that Michael would remain so restrained, and seemed to actually be accepting Ryan's position.

Jim, Ryan and Pam were hanging outside the exit to the building, about to leave for the day. Pam looked at Ryan and grinned broadly. "It was great seeing you. Thanks again for thinking of me for the web design training. I think I'd like to try it out, if the offer's still good." Pam looked down nervously, breaking Jim's heart just a bit. He had been amazed by her growth in the past year, but he knew she still needed some convincing about how amazing she was.

"The offer still stands. I'll send you more information when I have it. And it was great seeing you too," Ryan said. To both Ryan and Jim's surprise, Pam gave Ryan a quick hug.

To Jim's amazement, he saw Ryan blush a little bit as he stepped away.

Jim turned to Pam. "If you don't mind, Ryan and I are going to go grab a beer. Unless you..." Jim motioned a bit toward the car.

"No, you guys go," Pam told him, then turned to Ryan. "Please, do some male bonding with this one. He went with me last week to get a manicure, which got me a bit worried."

"You told me my hands looked even sexier than usual, I think," Jim teased her.

"Well, they were quite soft..." Then they remembered they weren't alone, and it was Pam's turn to blush. Jim just smiled, not really caring that Ryan could hear them openly flirting. He figured now was not the time to start being embarrassed about openly showing his feelings for Pam.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Bye, Ryan!" Pam gave Jim a quick kiss on the cheek and then waved at the both of them.

Ryan and Jim stared at each other a bit awkwardly. Ryan finally broke the silence, saying, "So, Halpert-six weeks in and you're getting manicures together? That was a joke, right?"

"I'll just say I like to keep my beauty secrets to myself," Jim told him seriously.

Jim liked keeping Ryan a little off balance. The truth was, he had let Pam give him a quasi manicure with some random spa products she had bought at a party Kelly was hosting. Pam had told him she had always liked his hands, and wanted to treat them right. Jim didn't argue with her.

"So, I'll meet you over there in a few?"

"Yeah, see you at Poor Richard's."

Jim was in strangely good spirits, and he wasn't completely sure why. He had been a little frustrated with his previous conversation with Pam about the future and his choices, but their little bit of banter in the parking lot raised his spirits back up. It was amazing how a brief exchange with her could always be such a balm to his soul.

He was also really thrilled at how happy she seemed at the prospect of learning web design. He couldn't really relate to her specific dreams of doing something artistic, but he thought that made him admire her all the more. At least one of them should get fulfilment from their career, after all.

Jim pulled in right after Ryan, and they walked into the bar and sat down at a table. The waitress promptly came over and they each ordered a beer.

Their drinks arrived, and they sat there in silence for several minutes, drinking their beers. Jim decided that getting this drink together as guys was a much better idea in theory. There likely was a reason they had never done this before.

"So, I feel totally caught up on your life in New York," Jim said. Ryan looked a little put out.

Jim again remembered the somewhat lonely tone of voice Ryan had been using on the phone the day before, and decided to make an effort. The guy was clearly craving some companionship.

And he himself was here for some reason as well, so he might as well ease the tension. "Okay, seriously, how are things going for you?"

Ryan set down his drink, and looked thoughtful. "Different for sure. It was something of a fast ascension. But, I figure if you dive right in you'll adjust less painfully than going slowly."

Jim nodded, and took a sip of his beer. "Well, you've definitely done that. Do you like living in the City?"

Ryan shrugged. "It's all right. Still getting settled. I kind of miss seeing people from business school."

Jim could relate to how moving messed up the social routines. He had never gotten back into the flow with his old roommate or any of his old friends when he had returned to Scranton. He wasn't sure why that was, other than that he seemed to have cut himself off from about anything that used to make him happy.

He would have to give Mark a call, and see if they could set up a poker night or something.

"Yeah, moving can be tough at first," Jim told him. Jim signaled the waitress to bring two more beers.

Ryan spoke next. "So, glad things worked out with you and Pam."

Jim shot him a bit of a strange look, as the words sounded odd coming from Ryan. It was almost as if Ryan had actually noticed or cared about them before, which Jim was not really sure was the case.

"Yeah, me too. Hope it stays that way," Jim said, and then quickly wished he hadn't.

"What do you mean? Trouble in paradise?"

Jim sighed. He took a sip of his drink, contemplating how much he wanted to share. He wasn't sure if the beer was loosening him up, or if he wanted a neutral party to talk to. But he suddenly felt like talking.

"Not trouble exactly. You actually instigated our favorite discussion: Did Jim throw his career away and will he someday regret it?"

Ryan clearly was surprised that Jim was opening up. Jim wasn't really enjoying putting Ryan off balance now, but was just feeling compelled to share with someone. And it was hard to share with Pam because they were still feeling their way through so much of the hurt and pain they'd caused each other.

"How did I start that discussion?" Ryan asked, not following Jim's line of thought.

"Well, when you offered her the web design opportunity and she hedged, I tried to convince her. Which somehow brought the conversation back around to me and my hopes and dreams."

"And given that you don't have any...." Ryan said. Jim felt a little stung to hear it put so bluntly.

Jim decided to brush it off. "Exactly. She's the one with actual dreams. Plus, I pretty much spent the majority of my career here with the goal of being around her."

"It was pretty pathetic there for awhile," Ryan told him.

"Wow. Thanks for the brutal honesty there Ryan. I definitely liked you better as the Temp." Jim took another swig of his beer.

Then they both laughed, the tension easing a bit. Jim wasn't even sure why he was laughing. Probably because what Ryan saw as pathetic, Jim saw as devoted and romantic. It was all about perspective, he guessed.

"Seriously, the thing now is that I do feel a bit restless at work. I don't covet your job, but I keep thinking maybe I don't want to be here forever. I think I pinned down my problem. I am happy to be with Pam, I really am. I used to wake up every morning and feel happy about going to work because I knew I would get to see her and make her laugh."

"Again, a bit pathetic, Halpert," Ryan interjected, albeit good-naturedly.

"Perhaps, but that kept me making all those paper sales that alluded you."

"Touche," Ryan said, polishing off his beer. Ryan ordered a couple more for them.

"Anyhow, now the problem is that I do get to see her outside of work. I don't have to go to the office to see her anymore, in fact I get more quality time with her when we're not there. So, I've lost a bit of my motivation for getting out of bed in the morning."

"I'll bet you have," Ryan said.

"Thanks, Michael."

Ryan shrugged and laughed. Jim figured he was getting loosened up by the beer. Jim certainly was.

"As I was saying, part of what Pam says is definitely true. I am coming to see that maybe being with her isn't the only thing in life. Apparently, I'm just not good at multitasking, and so I could only focus on her before. I wouldn't trade being with her for anything, but maybe it's time to look for something I'm more invested in as far as my job goes."

Ryan suddenly beamed at him. "That's what I was hoping you'd say!" Jim felt a little nervous.

"This isn't a pyramid scheme, is it?"

"No, this is serious. It might not be a right now thing, but I have a little proposition for you."

"I keep telling you, I am with Pam. And Kevin is my thing on the side," Jim said, trying to figure out where Ryan was going with this. Somehow a gay relationship with Kevin was always a good fallback line.

"I, unlike you, actually do have a dream. I want to own my own business," Ryan told him sincerely.

"That's great. And, what exactly does that have to do with me?" Jim was still a bit confused.

"Hear me out, okay man?"

"Sure, go on. I am all ears." Jim leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms.

"After talking with you off and on lately, I've come to a realization: We are completely different people."

"Wow. You know, there's really no good response to that."

Ryan continued on like Jim hadn't spoken. "Basically, I have the strengths you lack. Namely, the education, ambition and ideas."

Again, Jim bristled a bit. The truth really did hurt, it seemed. He decided to refrain from comment, getting an inkling that of what Ryan was trying to convey.

"However, as you may have witnessed during my stint as a salesman, I am not great with people. I'm not innately charming the way you are. I generally don't do a good of persuading people to my line of thinking. But you are. That's why you're a great salesman. You put people at ease, and read them well. You then use the information you get to manipulate people."

"And this is a good thing? You are really making me blush here." Jim was a bit flustered, as he had never really thought of himself as manipulative before.

"I don't mean it in a bad way. But it's how you can get Dwight to participate in reading Michael's screenplay. It's how you can convince Michael change Pam's Dundie award," Ryan said, building a bit of steam.

"You knew about that?"

"Yeah, Michael made me come up with ideas for better awards that wouldn't be lazy."

Ryan took a breath, and continued on. "Whenever I get my plan up and running, I want you to work with me."

Jim had suspected this is where things were heading, but he was still left a bit dumbstruck. He didn't really think Ryan even liked him all that much.

"I don't know..."

"I know we're not great friends. But really, that's better for business anyhow. It's not necessarily personal. But I think we'd make a great partnership. You could take the meetings to get investors and build up a client base, as we know you would be great at it. And I'd take you in as a partner, so you would actually be invested in what you are selling."

"I do really appreciate you thinking of me. I just don't know what to say right now. What sort of company would it be anyhow?" Ryan then looked hesitant.

"What kind of company would I be out trying to get investors for?" Jim asked again.

"Okay, I know you're going to laugh."

"What? Seriously, we sell paper for a living and you think I'll laugh."

"Yeah, I....want to start a temp agency."

Jim did laugh heartily at that, and Ryan joined him.

"Wow. Talk about going full circle, huh?"

Ryan shrugged. "I was taking your old advice to me in deciding what I would want to start a business in. And really, I would be selling myself. And I had quite the meteoric rise as a temp-from temp to executive in three years. I figured that would be my selling point."

Jim had to give the guy credit-it didn't sound totally crazy.

"What would you really be needing from me? We're selling you, remember?"

"I have some potential investors in mind through some contacts I've made over the past few years. And we need businesses to sign on. And lots of other things that will come up. Nothing's set yet, but I am completely serious about doing this a year or two from now."

Jim had to laugh again. It all seemed so crazy. He wanted to brush off Ryan's bravado to the beer, but he knew he was deadly serious. And Jim couldn't help but be a little excited and intrigued at the thought, even if it would be a huge risk.

"I'll definitely think abou it. Let's just say that we'll talk about this again six months from now, and maybe discuss more specifics," Jim told him.

Ryan nodded, and held out his hand. "I look forward to it," he told him. They shook on it.

Jim lifted up his glass. "I think a toast is in order," he said.

Ryan lifted his as well, and said, "To change."

Jim nodded, and clinked his glass to Ryan's.

"To change," Jim said in agreement.
End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
What a Difference a Year Makes by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
I decided that I had not had enough of Jim and Ryan, and their dealings with each other. This takes place a year after the previous chapter ended. This is basically the prologue to the three to four chapters which go in a completely new direction. I love feedback, as it drives me to continue on! (Or not.)
Ryan stared at the phone, trying to drum up the energy to call Jim.  Ryan was one week away from celebrating his escape from the Scranton office.  To this day, Ryan felt a certain queasiness in his stomach when he had to call over there.  Jim made him the most uncomfortable, largely because of the little moments they had shared when Ryan first took the job in New York.
 
It frustrated Ryan to no end that he had let his guard down in a moment of weakness and loneliness, going so far as to ask Jim to go into business with him someday.  Not that Ryan felt like this was an entirely bad idea, but more because he worked so hard to remain detached in Scranton.  He couldn’t believe he put so many of his cards on the table to Jim when he had finally been able to leave Scranton. 
 
And now Ryan had to call Jim specifically, and had no idea how to begin the conversation.  He decided that the best way to approach this was not to volunteer all the information at once, saving the information he knew Jim would not like for later.
 
Ryan grudgingly picked up the phone, knowing procrastinating would not help the situation. 
 
“Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam.”
 
“Pam, is Jim in?” Ryan asked.
 
“I’m sorry, he’s actually on a sales call.  Can I pass along a message?” she asked politely, in her receptionist tone.  She used to be more familiar with him when he called, but over time she had become more professional.  He wasn’t sure where this came from exactly, but he supposed he should be pleased that he had been able to maintain some degree of detachment from the Scranton office.
 
“Yeah, actually. Can you tell him to check his calendar for next week?  I’d like to spend Thursday and Friday with him in a management training.”
 
“What’s the training for?  Is it mandatory?” Pam asked, with some hesitation in her voice.
 
“The dates are pretty firm, and we really need him there.  I don’t want to give too many details right now.  He just needs to be there, per Corporate,” Ryan told her tersely, not wanting to give away his own hesitation at telling her more about the training.
 
“Oh.  I was just hoping it was flexible because that will sort of be our anniversary.  And yours too, if you think about it,” Pam explained.
 
“How is it my anniversary?”
 
“When you got your job.  It was the same day Jim and I went on our first date.”
 
“Oh.  We should all go out to dinner,” Ryan said absently. 
 
“Yeah, um, sure.  I guess I could go with Jim to New York,”  Pam said hesitantly, clearly not wanting to invite herself along before Jim even knew of the meeting.
 
Ryan hadn’t really thought she would take him up on the dinner offer.  Now he wasn’t sure of a good way out, so he supposed they would all be celebrating their anniversaries together. 
 
“I’m sure it will be fine,” Ryan said.   “Can you pass along the message to Jim?” 
 
“Sure.  Hope to see you in New York.  Take care, Ryan,” Pam said kindly.  
 
“Thanks.  Tell Jim I’ll give him more details once he gets here.  He doesn’t need to prepare anything, he just needs to be at the office by 9.”
 
Ryan hung up, and stared at the phone.  Ryan knew that Jim was not going to be happy when he arrived in New York and found out why he was being put through a management training seminar.
 
The truth was that Ryan had been given the task to help groom Jim to replace Michael Scott. Ryan couldn’t help but feel it was a bit ironic that just under a year ago he and Jim had been discussing eventually leaving Dunder-Mifflin, and now Ryan was being tasked in helping make this Jim’s true career path. 
 
And Michael nor Jim had any idea at this point, and Corporate wanted the change to happen sooner rather than later.  Ryan had to admit, there were a lot of times that this job sucked just as badly as it did in Scranton.   

End Notes:
I still own no part of The Office. Bummer. I also intend no copyright infringement.
The Pieces Fall into Place by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all those who have been reviewing. It really does mean a lot. And I will take back the whole 3-4 chapters here, because I think this section might just be taking on a life of its own. Thanks again for reading and reviewing!



When Jim returned to the office after his sales call, he stopped at Pam’s desk just as he always did.  Ostensibly, he was stopping to get his messages.  Of course, much of it had to do with just checking in with her. 
 
“Any messages?” Jim asked.
 
“Yeah, actually there is one very odd message.  Ryan called and wanted you to come out at the end of next week for some management training, but he wasn’t very clear on the details,” she told him. 
 
Jim was confused, not having heard of needing any training.  He’d been in a management capacity for almost two years, so he wasn’t sure why the training was suddenly necessary. 
 
Plus, it was their anniversary.  And he wasn’t sure if Pam would want to celebrate it with him in the same city where he was with Karen the year before. 
 
“Could you tell if it was mandatory?” he asked.
 
Pam sighed, and shook her head no.  “Ryan said you had to go and the dates were firm.  I asked him myself.  I told him it was a special day, and said maybe I could go with you….” her voice trailed off, clearly not wanting to invite herself along.
 
Even if there might be some uncomfortable moments if Karen’s name came up, Jim wanted nothing more for her to be there.  They had worked hard to get here, and he wanted to celebrate the fact that they had plowed through a lot of hurt and misunderstandings to still be going strong a year later.
 
“I don’t know, Beesly.  I think you’d just be bored in New York.  I’d be in meetings all day, and it’s not like there’s any culture there,” he told her, smiling.
 
“You’re right.  It’s not like I could go down an old mine shaft or anything.  But I would go just to make you happy,” she said.
 
“Oh, the sacrifices we make,” Jim sighed. 
 
They smiled at each other.
 
“Seriously, you got no clue as to what this is about?” Jim asked her, still puzzled by why Corporate suddenly needed him in New York for two days.  He hadn’t heard any complaints about his performance, unless he had been lumped in with Michael’s latest fiasco.
 
“Do you think I am being trained on how to manage my manager after the new temp left in such dramatic fashion?”  This was all Jim could come up with.
 
“After the Second Annual Women’s Appreciation Day?  Possibly,” Pam told him.
 
“Okay, you keep hinting around it.  What exactly went on in there?” Jim asked.
 
“Sorry, I was trying to save you from having to testify.”
 
Jim groaned.  “I have a feeling I might need to know.”
 
“Well, let’s just say Michael wanted the women to let him know what we  ’appreciated’ outside the workplace, if you catch my drift,” Pam said.
 
“Like….”
 
Pam blushed.  Jim shook his head, knowing far too many details about why Michael was asking those questions.  Suffice it to say, Jan was still living with Michael at this point, but certain things had apparently not improved.
 
“Gotcha.  I imagine a 22 year told temp on her first day might have been a bit taken aback.”  Jim really did not want to start having responsibility for Michael.  Babysitting Michael was not a task he wanted to undertake. 
 
Plus, keeping Michael in check would make his life a lot less interesting.
 
“Michael has gotten so used to us being numb to his questions, I think he had no idea that this could actually disturb someone,” Pam said, and shuddered at the memory. 
 
Jim leaned in a little closer, a gleam in his eye.  “So, what advice did you give Michael?”
 
“Who says I have any to share?  I might not feel ‘appreciated’ either,” Pam said completely deadpan.  Jim grinned at her broadly, constantly amazed that being together had not really changed their dynamic that much.
 
Well, maybe the topics of conversation.  But the style was pretty much the same.
 
“I guess I’ve been misunderstanding some of your signals.”
 
“Yeah, I didn’t want to hurt your feelings.  And that’s what I told Michael. He might discuss it with you at some point.  He feels like some things Angela told him were especially instructive.”  Pam grimaced, thinking of how Angela was actually willing to share how appreciated she was.   Pam had been both shocked and appalled.
 
Jim stared at her incredulously.  “You really did tell Michael that, didn’t you?” 
 
“Of course not.  But Angela?  That part is completely true.”
 
“Wow.  I did not need to know that.”
 
Jim let out a sigh, knowing what he had to do now.  “Well, I guess I need to go talk to Michael about taking off at the end of next week.”
 
“Good luck,” Pam told him as Jim went to enter Michael’s office.
 
Jim stepped in cautiously.  “Hey, Michael.  How’s it going?”
 
Michael smiled at Jim.  “Jim, my right hand man!  What can I do you for?”
 
Jim put his hands in his pockets and leaned against the far wall.  “It looks like Corporate wants me to head out that way for a management seminar next week.  I just wanted to give you a heads up that I’d be gone.”
 
Michael looked puzzled.  “No one told me.”
 
Jim paused, and realized that was strange.  Usually Ryan would have gone through Michael first, as that was protocol. 
 
“I don’t know any details.  Ryan just left a message with Pam instructing me to be there on Thursday.  And do you mind if Pam takes off too?”
 
“You just really like getting action in New York on the company dime, don’t you?”
 
Jim’s first inclination was just to let that one go, but he was beginning to feel like something strange was going on. 
 
“Michael, you really need to watch those sorts of comments.”
 
Michael looked stunned.  “Jimbo, I’m just being a friend and joshing you.  Guys do that with their friends.”
 
“Michael, as your friend and having witnessed the last temp calling you a dirty old man, I am just warning you that you might want to be more careful.  Really.”
 
“Oh, the man is not going to bring me down.  They haven’t yet, and I have a lawyer ready in case they try.”  Jim shook his head, knowing it was useless to keep trying.  Michael was always going to be Michael.
 
“So, next week? Is that okay?”
 
“Of course.  And take the fair Pamela with you.  To talk to, of course.”
 
Jim had to give him credit for trying.  “Thanks.”
 
Michael looked a bit distracted.  “Is there something else, Michael?”
 
“I hope Corporate isn’t trying to steal you from me.  I only went to management training right before I got this job.”
 
Jim felt really uncomfortable now, and just wanted to get out without Michael jumping to any conclusions one way or another.
 
“I’m sure it’s nothing.  Maybe I’m just getting trained in case you become incapacitated.  Like a vice-president or something.”
 
Michael lit up.  “Yeah, you’re my Dick Cheney.”
 
“Well, I’ve been gone all morning, so I really should get back,” Jim said.  “And thanks for letting Pam off too.”
 
Jim went back to Pam’s desk, trying to dispel a thought that had occurred to him.
 
“Pam, just how bad was it with the temp?”
 
“Pretty bad.  Why?”
 
“Do you think bad enough to get Michael fired?”
 
Pam laughed.  “Oh, Michael’s a cockroach.  He can’t be fired.  I think Oscar was worse, actually.  It was really just mid-range Michael hijinx.  Why would they fire him now, when they haven’t yet?” 
 
Jim shrugged. 
 
Pam looked thoughtful, and then concerned.  “Why are you worried?”
 
“Oh, it’s probably nothing.  I have some calls to make.  See you at lunch?”
 
“Of course.”
 
Jim went back to his desk, deep in thought.  He was relieved that Dwight wasn’t at his desk, so he could make a call to Ryan without arousing Dwight’s suspicion.
 
Jim dialed Ryan’s number at Corporate, and got his voicemail. Jim felt frustrated by his inability to get answers, and left a message.
 
“Ryan, it’s Jim.  Pam told me about the seminar, and I really want to know what it’s about.  This cryptic B.S. is really frustrating.  Am I being transferred to lead another branch?  If that’s the plan, I really want to decline going to the training.  Please call me back.”
 
Jim hung up in frustration.  He really wasn’t ready to move to Buffalo or Albany or something.  And he really couldn’t fathom that Michael was getting fired, especially without warning. 
 
Of course, Ryan wasn’t Jan. 
 
Jim sat back and looked through his other messages, trying not to think about what Ryan’s call would bring. 
 

End Notes:
I am as needy for reassurance as Michael. So reviews make me happy.


The disclaimer still stands. I own no part of The Office, nor am I affiliated in any way. I intend no copyright infringement.
The Secret is Out by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who has been continuing to read this. I didn't intend for it to get quite so long, but there seemed to be more story to tell. I really appreciate all the reviews, and it really makes my day to read that someone's been enjoying this even half as much as I'm enjoying writing it.



Ryan sat at his desk, staring at the phone. He had listened to Jim's voicemail, and wasn't sure how long he could hold Jim off before he told him the truth about the management training. He was hoping he could get Jim to New York first, just to explain in person and also to hold off on the lunacy that would come after Michael's firing was announced. Basically, Ryan didn't want the inevitable chain reaction to come into play. There would be Michael's histrionics, likely followed by some truly odd behavior by Dwight, who deep down was likely also trying to seize power. Dwight would definitely have his sights on Jim. Andy would likley be Jim's new lap dog. And Stanley would just look sullen, but likely no more than usual.

The crazy thing about this was that Ryan knew full well that Jim was going to try and refuse this position. After all, it would be the final step toward becoming Michael.

In the past year, Ryan had definitely sensed the change in Jim. He was really and truly happy. It actually seemed that Jim was perfectly content to continue just as he was indefinitely, going to a dead end job that he was good at but not motivated by.

Ryan just didn't get it. He was actually having a harder time understanding him now more than ever. While Jim had previously seemed somewhat restless, the restlessness had seemed to pass. Ryan wasn't sure if the guy was ever going to move up, or if he even cared to.

It was funny, because Ryan was already counting down the days until he could leave Dunder Mifflin for good. Luckily he had gotten no more attached to Corporate than he had to the Scranton branch.

Ryan was really not sure why he wanted Jim to come to New York before he heard the news. It's not like Ryan wasn't prepared to deal with Michael. Though Ryan sometimes worried that Michael would think he was being Punk'd.

The phone took Ryan out of his revelry.

Ryan had no more than said hello when Jim cut him off, "Ryan, tell me what the hell's going on. I have a feeling there's nothing I am going to want coming out of me going to management training."

Ryan sighed and rolled his eyes, glad Jim couldn't see his complete exasperation. Jim's best and worst traits were coming into play. His intuition was telling him strongly that something was up. However, only Jim Halpert could decide that attending management training to get a potential promotion would be a bad thing.

"Jim, just come to New York and go to the training. There are some possibilities for change that I want to discuss with you."

There was silence on the other end for a long moment, then "By change, do you mean personnel changes here in Scranton?" Jim asked cautiously.

"All I can tell you is that I have made certain recommendations, and David Wallace wants to discuss things with you further."

Ryan couldn't believe that he had just opened this can of worms, and was fruitlessly praying that Jim didn't catch on.

"What the hell? This was coming from you? What recommendations did you make exactly?"

Ryan knew he was busted. Ryan had indeed made the recommendation that Michael be fired and replace him with Jim.

From Ryan's perspective, it was really not a moment too soon. It was a problem endemic to Dunder Mifflin all across the board. They were keeping middle managers on far too long, and so the talented younger employees were leaving for better opportunities. There were no young, talented regional managers.

This left a less than desirable pool of employees for Corporate, and really for instituting any sort of modernizing within the company. And Jim was the best qualified younger employee to take the reigns as a regional manager.

Ryan had contemplated sending Jim to a different branch instead, but he knew that wouldn't work. There was no way Jim was leaving Pam to move up within Dunder Mifflin. Ryan might not quite understand where Jim was coming from, but he knew where his heart was.

Ryan decided to come clean, and hope Jim would still come to New York and remain relatively discrete for the time being. There was no reason to completely stir things up until Jim was one hundred percent in place as the new regional manager.

"I recommended that Michael be fired. You know as well as I do that it's long overdue. This last incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back."

Ryan decided not to mention that the suggestion had been made to the CFO long before Michael was accused of sexually harrassing the temp.

"I know there are far worse regional managers. Josh told me as much when I was in Stamford. Why Michael?" Jim asked, sounding legitimately confused.

Of course this was the one point of confusion for Jim. Jim would not expect that anyone would clear that way for him to advance up the corporate ladder, whereas most anyone else in his position would almost expect as much or would have moved on long ago.

"You're the reason, Jim. David Wallace loves you, and still thinks you have a big future here. And since you seem determined to stay in Scranton and you are the best equipped younger manager to move up within the company, this all made sense."

There was silence again. Ryan could almost hear Jim's wheels turning.

"This is going to crush him, you know. Is it really necessary? You know as well as anyone that my ambitions don't lie here."

Indeed, that was the rub. Ryan did know this, and really wasn't entirely sure of his own motivations in all of this. He didn't know if he just wanted Jim to get out of his rut, to see Michael fired in retaliation for all the crap he pulled with him as the Temp, or if he was just bored and decided to stir up the pot some.

None of those explanations quite fit. Of course, it was really a sound business decision, so long as Jim came to his senses. And Jim really did need to learn a bit more about ambition, not to mention management. Ryan had been completely serious when he had said he wanted to team with Jim when Ryan finally escaped Dunder Mifflin once and for all.

"Jim, eventually you need to just commit. I did, and my boyhood dream, or even my business school dream, did not consist of tworking at a paper sales company. But here we are. Suck it up."

"Thanks boss for those inspiring words. How about I just skip the promotion?"

Ryan was getting really frustrated with this. It had been the one big recommendation that David Wallace had really agreed with, and Ryan desperately needed it to work out.

"I think you need to come here, and at least listen to what's happening with the company. David Wallace wants to speak with you personally."

"Fine, I'll come. But I'm telling you, I really don't want to push Michael out of his job. You know this latest incident is no worse than anything else Michael has ever done."

Ryan was also getting sick of Jim's unwarranted protectiveness over Michael.

Then Ryan heard another voice in the background, and Ryan's stomach sank.

"You could never push Michael out of his job. He will be here forever. Or until he's wheeled out, as it should be. And then I have the reigns," Ryan could hear.

Dwight. Just great.

"Well, Ryan. I think I have some fires to put out here. I'll see you in New York."
End Notes:
I own nothing. Still. Nothing at all.
Making it Happen by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone sticking with this. I never imagined I would be at Chapter 12 and still going strong when I started. Again, thank you to those who have been reading and reviewing. I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading the reviews, knowing that people are enjoying it.


Jim was livid that Ryan had completely blindsided him, having recommended him for a promotion that he no desire to have. He knew Ryan didn't quite understand him, especially his lack of ambition. Jim didn't completely understand it himself sometimes, but he knew that moving up at Dunder Mifflin was not a dream of his.

Ryan clearly thought that Jim had decided to not take the job at Corporate solely because of Pam. While that might have been part of his rash, grandiose gesture at that particular moment, time and distance had made Jim realize that there had been more to it than that.

He had definitely come back because he knew he owed it to himself to finally take his chance with Pam. But he also realized that he absolutely could not see himself working for Dunder Mifflin in ten years, whether in Scranton or New York.

Of course, now Jim found himself in a most awkward position. He had to try and saved Michael's job, likely to some extent at Ryan's expense. He had a feeling that any future partnership with Ryan might be thrown out the window. Which was too bad, because starting something from scratch had been sounding increasingly intriguing by the day.

Jim had absolutely no plan beyond the immediate emergency, which was to make sure Dwight shut the hell up.

"Jim, you haven't answered me. Michael!" Dwight bellowed.

Jim grabbed at Dwight's arm, and hissed out, "Let's talk in private. You don't know everything."

Dwight stared at him, and Jim feared he wouldn't agree. But then Dwight got a gleam in his eye.

Dwight might love Michael, but he loved the idea of power even more.

Dwight and Jim walked to the kitchen, which was blessedly empty. Jim ignored Pam's quizzical look, knowing he would have to explain things later.

Jim looked at Dwight, contemplating what would be the best course of action. He took a deep breath, and put a grave look on his face.

"Dwight, we are in the midst of a serious situation. Michael's job may be in jeopardy, but I know I'm not ready to take over yet. I have way too much to learn still from Michael."

"Yes, you do. But Corporate is clearly going to hell with their recent decisions. There are clear orgnaizational flaws, which began with you becoming the number two here, and continuing with Ryan getting the promotion," Dwight replied, looking grave.

"Dwight, you did hear me right that Michael's job is in jeopardy. But you have to trust that I don't want this to happen," Jim told him, hoping Dwight would believe him.

"I don't believe you. Why would you not want to move up? All humans have a natural desire to be as powerful as possible. Unless you're weak. Are you weak?"

Jim sighed. "Yes, Dwight. I'm weak. I don't have it in me to have that much power. It would go to my head, and I would be out of control."

Dwight contemplated this, still looking unsure. "I'm going to go tell Michael. He'll know what to do. We saved the branch before."

Jim had no idea what the hell Dwight was talking about, but decided to let it slide. The important thing was that Dwight did not tell Michael, as Jim knew that would make it almost impossible for Michael to be saved.

"You cannot tell Michael. Or anyone," Jim pleaded.

"I can't do that. I no longer do Michael's laundry, because I have earned back his trust. And I don't want to do his laundry again. Hence, I shall tell Michael."

Dwight started toward the door, and Jim decided that he would have to pull out the big guns.

"Dwight, you take one more step toward Michael's office and I tell Kelly about you and Angela. Which will lead to the whole office knowing."

Dwight simply stared at Jim, trapped between his two loyalties. But Dwight knew full well who had the potential to hurt him the most.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Dwight said weakly.

"I think you do. And I've been holding this information for over a year, intending to not tell anyone. And I won't, just so long as you don't tell Michael."

Dwight slowly nodded his assent.

"Thank you, Dwight. Really."

"I do not accept gratitude from blackmailers. Though I do have more respect for you now, as it's the first sign of alpha male I've ever seen from you."

"Uh, thanks. Or not." Jim shrugged, just happy that the immediate crisis was averted.

Dwight started to leave. "You wait five minutes, so no one knows we were plotting in there."

Jim rolled his eyes. "Actually, I'll leave first. I am your superior, after all."

Jim turned around and left, with Dwight staring after him with a look of grudging respect.

Jim headed straight to reception.

"Wow, it has been a really crappy day. I had to go all Machiaveli on Dwight. It wasn't pretty," Jim told Pam, leaning over her desk.

"Aw, poor baby. It's hard being on top," Pam said.

Jim sighed, knowing Pam didn't even know the half of it.

"First, in Michael's honor: That's what she said," Jim said, stalling.

"Stop putting me off. What the hell is going on, Jim? I saw that you were mad at Ryan on phone, and then you just had a conference with Dwight in the kitchen. This is not normal behavior."

While Jim still savored the connection he and Pam shared, it could definitely be annoying at times to be such an open book.

"Are you watching my every move?"

"Always. You know I keep your leash short. Now spill." Pam grinned a bit, then saw that his mood had not lightened. Her face then shifted to a more serious expression, and reached for his hand.

"Well, it seems we were wrong earlier. Ryan wants me to come to New York to get training to take Michael's position."

Pam looked surprised, but just nodded at him to continue.

"Michael doesn't know. It also turns out it was Ryan's decision, as his goal is to move the regional managers positions in a new direction, meaning younger and more professional. And Ryan thought I was just perfect for the slot."

Pam's brow furrowed. "Why are they so big on this? You would think turning down one promotion would have let them know you weren't trying to move up," Pam said carefully.

"But they think I did it all for the girl. And with the job being in Scranton, and me having the girl and all....not to mention that she has been doing an awesome job on the website, and Corporate will want her any day now, " Jim finished.

Pam blushed. She had indeed showed quite the aptitude for web design, and Jim really couldn't have been prouder.

Which was really part of Jim's quandary in all this. Ryan was pissing him off, but he also felt a soft spot for him for setting Pam up with the web design training.

Pam looked thoughtful. "Do you really not want the job? Or is this just feeling bad for Michael?" Pam asked.

Jim responded immediately. "You know I don't have any real ambitions here. And yes, I might have taken it if it didn't involve Michael being fired. But I could never hurt Michael like that over a job that will never be my career."

Pam smiled at him. "Good answer. I just had to make sure you weren't just being wildly unselfish and noble to your detriment."

Jim smiled back. "No, I'm just being lazy, unmotivated and unambitious."

Pam's smile faded a bit.

Jim felt the change, and regretted his joke. "You know I'm kidding. I really just don't have any desire to take this job at this moment, or see Michael get crushed in the process."

"I know. I just think one of these days you need to figure out where the massive amounts of potential you have will take you," Pam told him seriously.

Jim's heart swelled, as it always did when Pam spoke of her pride in him. They had their conflict over his lack of direction at times, but it all came from the fact that Pam believed in him so much. He was beginning to feel a little odd at their role reversal, with Pam chasing her dreams with Jim being the one lectured.

"And I promise you, I will start plotting out a path soon. Right now I need to figure out exactly how to make sure Michael keeps his job. Oh, and by the way, Dwight knows about this."

"That can't be good."

"I blackmailed him with my knowledge of him and Angela, believe it or not."

"You really mean business, pulling out the one thing you have on Dwight. Michael better appreciate you," Pam told him, looking at him with admiration.

"What's that look about? It's no big deal."

"It is a big deal what you'll do for Michael, a man you want to strangle at least 50 percent of the time he opens his mouth," Pam said.

"You know you'd do the same," Jim told her.

"You're right. Can you explain it?" Pam asked.

"I really can't. But I just can't hurt Michael like that."

Jim sighed again, still not knowing what his plan was. All he knew was that he needed to go through with the trip to New York, knowing that he was going to have to deal with Corporate to try and change things.

"Well, Pam, it looks like we'll be spending our anniversary in New York," Jim told her.

"Looks that way," Pam told him, smiling.

Jim was relieved that Pam seemed all right with this. He had been worried that she wouldn't want to celebrate there, considering that he had been with Karen in New York that same time a year ago.

"You did make sure it's a different hotel, right?" Pam asked.

"Of course. This is all about us and our future," Jim told her.

Jim smiled to himself a bit, as he had big plans. A week ago, he picked out an engagement ring, and had been prepared to propose to her on their anniversary.

In some way, he liked that things had gone full circle like this, and that he would be proposing to her in the city that is so many ways had served as the catalyst for his return to Scranton. And there were quite a few more special romantic possibilities there than in Scranton.

Jim's grin got bigger, as he couldn't quite contain his excitement.

"Why do you suddenly look so happy? Just excited that you got the better of Dwight?"

Jim beamed at her. "Nope. Just can't wait to celebrate our anniversary," he told her.

Pam smiled back, and then her eyes got big. "Oh! I might have made some promise to Ryan that we would go out with him, to celebrate his one year on the job as well. But I'm sure it will just be a quick drink...."

"Can't we get out of it?" Jim asked.

"I just think it would be nice....and I think he's kind of lonely. And you can discuss your business venture again," Pam told him.

"Okay, we'll hang out some. But we definitely need to celebrate alone as well."

Pam shook her head. "I don't know, you boys can get pretty animated and lose track of time once you start talking...."

Jim just grinned at her, knowing that any conversation with Ryan at that time would be very short, even if he weren't already irritated with him.

The trip to New York really would be about their future. He was going to make sure of that. Ryan was certainly not going to get in the way of that goal.

Jim suddenly felt pretty content. Once he had goals in mind, he was pretty motivated. He felt confident that in one week's time, Michael's job would be secure and Pam would be his fiance. He would make it happen.
End Notes:
I own nothing. Not a single thing.
Swayed by Boyish Charm by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long delay. I continue to own nothing.



Ryan sat anxiously at his desk, awaiting Jim's arrival. After Jim had railed at him about Michael losing his job, he and Jim had only spoken once to iron out logistics. Even that conversation had been pretty frosty. Ryan wasn't sure why he even bothered trying. It seemed that Jim Halpert was a difficult man to promote.

The worst part of it was, it seemed he was still going to dinner with Jim and Pam that night. He got the distinct impression that Jim wasn't thrilled with the idea, and he himself wasn't either. But neither he nor Jim were quite willing to admit it to the other, and Pam seemed strangely gung-ho. So it seemed he and Jim were stuck. It looked they would have to out and out admit they didn't like each other to get out of it. He knew Jim wouldn't be the first to break, and Ryan really didn't have anything better to do.

Ryan really couldn't explain his relationship with Jim. At times they seemed to almost be heading toward friendship, but then their differences held them back. He felt like they were like old war buddies, bonded by the craziness of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. But Jim was still a POW, suffering from some sort of Stockholm's syndrome.

It was really a shame. But Ryan was glad he himself had gotten out, having succeeded in making few attachments. He felt like maybe he should feel bad about suggesting that they fire Michael, but he remembered all the errands and creepy looks from Michael over the years and he felt no remorse. The fact that Michael was sad and pathetic was Michael's problem, not Ryan's.

Ryan was also concerned with his own job security at this point. He had come in with a million different ideas, but apparently most of them were too "text book" according to David Wallace. Ryan had finally piqued his interest when he had mentioned trying to really make a point of promoting from within the branches, and the value of knowing the business from the ground up.

Ryan of course knew this was a load of crap, given that Ryan's actual knowledge or skill gained from being in Scranton was minimal. But it sure sounded good, and maybe even made sense when applied to Jim. And David Wallace seemed to have some sort of man crush on Jim, and had loved the idea of making him regional manager.

He had actually told Ryan that he had done a good job in analyzing the structure of the company. Ryan couldn't let Jim screw this up.

Ryan's phone buzzed, with his assistant telling him that Jim was there. Speak of the devil, or savior, as it were. Ryan sighed, knowing he was in for a battle.

"Send him in," Ryan said, straightening his shoulders.

A few seconds later, Jim came in and awkwardly stuck his hand out to shake Ryan's. Jim took a look around the office and whistled.

"Wow. Pretty swank."

"I guess. It's pretty normal for someone in my position."

Jim smirked a bit. "And to think a couple of years ago you were calling dibs on my old desk in Scranton. "

"Move up or move on, that's how business works," Ryan told him.

"Question. Can we try and speak entirely in cliches? Like, what goes around comes around."

Ryan tensed. He wasn't expecting Jim to be quite so aggressive with him. He was expecting a bit more passivity. Maybe Jim was growing after all.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I guess that once you join the corporate world, and can coldly dismiss people, it seems a matter of time before you get coldly dismissed yourself," Jim said, shrugging.

Damn Jim for hitting way too close to home for Ryan's liking. Jim might not be as passive as he once was, but he certainly hadn't lost his intuition.

"Do you need any coffee or anything before I begin the training?" Ryan asked, changing the subject.

"No, I'm fine. Let's get started with you teaching me how to be a regional manager. Does it start with sales? I'm all ears." Jim leaned back in his chair, putting his feet up on Ryan's desk.

Ryan rolled his eyes.

"Look, I know you don't want to be here. I have work to do beyond this. I have a manual I was supposed to use, but since you don't need me you can just read it yourself," Ryan said tersely, tossing a large binder at Jim. Jim caught it, getting knocked slightly off balance from his reclining position.

Jim looked at the manual for a second, then at Ryan.

"Seriously, Ryan. How can you just crush a man like this?" Jim asked.

"Come on, Halpert. It's business, and Michael has been a liability for a long time," Ryan said.

Jim shook his head. "I'm not naive. I know that Michael has many, many flaws. But I also know that the relationships he has built with clients is indispensable, and his love of this company and the Scranton area continuously shows through in his sales. You can't fake it."

"Is that why you're a good salesman then, your deep love for all things Dunder-Mifflin Scranton?" Ryan asked.

"You know I'm just boyishly charming, Ryan. And you know this isn't about me."

"Actually, it is about you. David Wallace really likes you, and wants to see you rise up in this company."

Jim sighed, and shook his head. "He might want that. I think I've shown I don't want that, especially not at the expense of Michael."

Ryan was growing frustrated, and knew they were talking in circles.

"Jesus, Jim. You act like Michael would sacrifice himself for you."

Jim let out a humorless laugh. "You know, I think you're now grasping at straws. Because Michael really does look out for us, in his own childish and needy way."

Jim paused a moment, looking like he was trying to decide whether to go on. Ryan let the silence hold, until Jim continued.

" I started to be more ambitious in Stamford, as I really admired Josh. He was so professional and put together. I really wanted to be like him, and really began to take my job seriously. And then Josh screwed over every single employee at his branch, looking out only for himself. And yeah, I get it. I just don't like it, or idolize it."

Ryan sat in silence, realizing that there was more behind Jim's obstinance about the promotion than he had thought. Jim wasn't just unambitious or unmotivated. He might not know where he was going or what exactly he wanted to do, but he knew the kind of man he wanted to be.

And Ryan wasn't sure he could get him off that course.

Ryan took a breath, and voiced what had been left unspoken. "You knew Michael Scott would never do that."

Jim smiled for the first time since entering the office. "That's what I said, right after it happened. Check it out in the documentary."

Ryan let this all sink in, then let out a laugh. Jim looked at him, confused.

"You know, I thought I had you pegged Halpert. All along, I thought your worst fear was to someday become Michael Scott. But deep down, beyond the surface, that's who you seem to emulate the most."

Jim had to laugh as well. "Wow. I never thought of it that way before. And please don't make me think of it again."

"Done. Now at least look like you're reading your manual, because I really do have work to do." Ryan tossed him a highlighter.

Jim caught it, and set it down. "Doubt I'll need this. I have a feeling it's all of equal importance."

"I figured you'd want to highlight the areas you think don't suit your skill set. You do have a promotion to talk yourself out of, after all."

Jim looked at him, surprised.

Ryan shrugged. "What can I say? I have a weakness for boyish charm."

Ryan tried to concentrate on his paperwork, as Jim appeared to be highlighting in some sort of set rhythm. Ryan had no idea what he was doing at this stage, but he knew he felt less tense than he had before, which was strange considering his job was likely in jeopardy.

Damn Jim and his boyish charm.



End Notes:
Reviews are good for the soul.
Respecting Authority by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
I don't own Jim or Ryan or Dunder-Mifflin. Or anyone or anything. Sad, isn't it?
Jim sat around, idly highlighting until it was nearly lunchtime. He was a bit unsure of this little truce he and Ryan seemed to have worked out. He just hoped it was enough to save Michael's job.

Jim started tapping his highlighter on the binder, full of nervous energy. Sitting still was quite the chore with all that was on his mind. Somehow trying to save Michael and talk himself out of a promotion had pushed his bigger plan to the back of his mind. He had no idea how the idea of proposing to Pam could ever get relegated to the recesses of his mind, but that was the power of Michael for you.

But Jim was getting really excited now, because he felt like tonight was the night. He just hoped Ryan didn't plan on lingering after dinner, so he could take Pam to a coffee shop somewhere and propose.

Jim couldn't believe he was planning on proposing in a coffee shop, but it was fitting for their relationship. A year ago, on their first date, they had shared a polite, somewhat awkward dinner. Feeling that there was a lot still lingering to talk about, Jim had taken Pam out for coffee at an all night coffeehouse. They had sat on a couch and finally begun to really talk, and aired out a lot of what needed to be said.

And right on that couch they had sealed it all with a kiss, which had been sweet and tentative and said all that needed to be said. They had left the coffeehouse hand in hand, both smiling somewhat shyly and never looking back.

Jim really liked the idea of going full circle, and he just felt it was incredibly right for him to propose in much the same manner in which their romantic relationship had begun. His first choice had been at the same coffeehouse in Scranton, but he had thought that part of going full circle might be to slay the demon of New York City and what it looked like it represented a year ago. Now the city could mean happy things to them both, and Jim liked the thought of that.

Plus, he really just wanted a reason to justify proposing tonight, even with them being in New York and ending up at dinner with Ryan.

"Hey, man, can you stop with the tapping?" Ryan asked.

Jim stopped the tapping wordlessly.

"So, when is it I get to speak with David Wallace?" Jim asked, now that he had Ryan's attention.

As though summoned, David Wallace appeared in the doorway. Jim was very impressed, and wondered if he always showed up on command like that.

"How goes the training?"

Ryan and Jim both looked a little guilty, like teenagers caught not studying with a big exam coming up.

"I told Ryan that I really am more of a book learner, so I am poring over it as we speak," Jim said. "But sir, I really wanted the opportunity to speak with you about some things either today or tomorrow while I'm here."

The CFO smiled warmly and nodded. "That can be arranged. How would you like to have a dinner meeting?"

Jim felt alarmed, not wanting to add dinner with his boss as another obstacle to their romantic evening.

"Well, my girlfriend is here and has been alone all day. She and I were going to join Ryan to talk about old times some," Jim said.

"Well, how about you guys do it on the company dime? I'd love to meet your girlfriend, who I assume is the reason you left your interview last year so abruptly, with me scrambling to make a hire," he grinned, with his smile fading when he remembered Ryan was in the room.

Jim felt a little embarrassed for Ryan, and tried to shoot him a sympathetic look and shrug. Ryan just looked like his normal detached self.

Jim also felt a little uncomfortable in knowing that David Wallace had met Karen as his girlfriend right before he and Pam got together. But he figured he wouldn't mention it, unless a complete lack of tact was a proclivity shared by all managers at Dunder-Mifflin.

"Well, I guess I can't turn down a meal on the company dime. Last time I got one of those was at Hooters," Jim said, and smiled broadly afterwards, hoping that it seemed he was joking.

The CFO laughed in response. "I'm not entirely sure if you're serious or not."

Jim decided it was time for the conversation to move past this, given that he was actually trying to have Michael unfired and all.

"I'll call Pam and tell her what's going on. Thank you again, sir," Jim said.

"No problem. We can all meet out front and decide where to go. I'll see you guys around 6?"

"Yes, sir," Ryan told him. With that, their boss left.

Jim and Ryan looked at each other, knowing that the CFO had to have known he had not walked in on an active training session.

Ryan spoke first. "I never thought I was the first choice, but having it said out loud like that was weird," Ryan said. Then he smiled a bit. "At least I think I ranked above 'pass,' so that's something."

"Wow. I can't really believe he said that in front of you. Maybe there is a little Michael in him after all. He really hates the HR guy, just like Michael," Jim said.

"Kendall? He's terrible," Ryan told him. "He really was supposed to be training you, but I decided to spare you the pain."

Jim laughed out loud. Ryan looked confused. "What?"

"You see, I still consider Toby to be a friend. I think this is why I can't move up, as I don't think I have it in me to hate Toby. Do you think we could make Dwight the new HR guy?"

This did make Ryan laugh. "I think I would have to stop in for the next sexual harrassment seminar."

"Yikes. That is a truly frightening thought."

Jim looked at his watch. "Well, I need to go meet Pam in Central Park for a picnic lunch. I was supposed to kindly ask for an extra long lunch break on her behalf. She knew you wouldn't grant it on mine," Jim told him.

Ryan rolled his eyes. Jim couldn't really believe he had said something quite so cutesy. But it had been Pam's orders. He had a feeling they weren't intended to be executed quite so literally.

"Go, Halpert. Why don't you and Pam frolic until dinner, and then I can actually get some stuff done?"

Jim felt punched in the gut as he remembered frolicking with Karen. He had felt happy and carefree with Karen that night, but had already felt the end was near. It had been like the last night of a summer romance, where you could enjoy each other's company but know that goodbye was close at hand.

He just regretted that maybe he hadn't communicated this emotion as well as he had thought to Karen. He had thought his non answer about moving to New York for her had said it all.

But Jim definitely had no regrets about his about face and subsequent return to Scranton. With his career prospects put on hold, Jim had worried about how this relationship could make or break him. It was a lot of pressure. Luckily, here he was ready to make it permanent.

The parallels were funny. Things were so much like last year, but really different as well.

A year ago, he had turned down a gigantic promotion for the chance to maybe forge a relationship with Pam, and also to find the person he had lost when she had told him, "I can't."

Now, he was ready to turn down a lesser promotion on the anniversary of the day he had impulsively called his interview to an abrupt stop. Turning down this promotion had nothing to do with Pam, yet here he was again ready to embark on a huge step in their relationship. It seemed to be an annual May event for him.

Jim realized then that he had let his walk down memory lane keep him literally frozen into place. He looked at Ryan sheepishly.

"What are you still doing here? When the boss gives you an afternoon off, you take it," Ryan told him.

"I'll see you tonight, boss. You just might be the world's best boss. But don't tell Michael," Jim said.

There was silence, as both of them remembered that Michael may not be anyone's boss for long.

"Jesus, get the hell out of here Halpert," Ryan said.

Jim finally did as told. He decided at times it might just be best to respect authority.

End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I really love reviews. Like maybe a bit too much.
Jim, Pam and the Three Bosses by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is the homestretch on this one, for real this time. There should be one more chapter followed by an epilogue. Thank you so much to those who stuck through this, my first effort. I really appreciate all the reviews, you have no idea.

I don't own anything, which I think is really unfortunate. Then I could quit my day job.

Story:
Ryan stood at the front of the building, waiting to head to dinner. He was a few minutes early, but he couldn't sit at his desk any longer. It was going to be an interesting evening, to say the least. Ryan knew he was not much more than a bystander, but that was his general M.O. anyhow. Things just always seemed to happen to him. He had thought he had grown out of it, but it seemed to be a curse that was following him in his new job. It seemed you couldn't ever leave Scranton completely behind.

Ryan couldn't believe that he was having dinner with Jim, Pam and David Wallace. It was truly incredible that Ryan had worked at Corporate for a year now, and not once had the CFO taken him out to dinner.

Maybe playing hard to get worked in the business world as well. It seemed Ryan had gotten a lot more attention with trying to pull away and detach in Scranton than he had gotten at Corporate. Go figure.

David Wallace appeared first.

"Hey, Ryan. I take it we're the first ones?"

"Yes, sir. Jim needed to go meet up with his girlfriend to bring her here," Ryan covered, not wanting to admit he'd released Jim early.

The CFO nodded, seemingly contemplating something.

"Well, I'm glad we got this little opportunity to speak before the meeting. I really like Jim and what he's done, but I am sensing a certain reticence about this promotion. This concerns me," he told Ryan.

Ryan wasn't sure how to respond, because he knew Jim really wanted to speak his peace. Ryan really didn't want to get overinvolved in this process. Not in the least.

"He's never really moved up at the direct expense of anyone before. I think it's hard on him to know Michael will be affected," Ryan said evenly.

"I think loyalty is a great trait, for sure. But you have to get a bit concerned if it clouds everything else," David said thoughtfully.

"I understand your concern. I don't completely get his loyalty on this" Ryan said.

"Really? Do you not feel at all bad about Michael being fired? He only had the highest of praise for you. His remarks on your performance review helped you cement this job," the CFO told him.

Ryan was having the panicky feeling of being trapped. He was also having to fight every little bit of instinct down not to outwardly roll his eyes. Ryan had a feeling it wasn't the best time to mention that the performance reviews were more a part of Michael's bizarre man crush than anything Ryan had actually accomplished.

"It's business, sir. I'm just trying to recommend what I think is best from a detached perspective."

The CFO continued to look thoughtful, and Ryan sensed he had something important to say. Ryan also sensed that this something was nothing he was going to want to hear.

"Ryan, I think you have a great mind for the theories of business and to some extent the bigger picture. However, I think in the end you can never completely detach yourself from the people involved. When you do that, you get blindsided when people don't react rationally. Hell, you wouldn't have this job if people always acted how I expected them to," David Wallace told him.

Ryan wasn't sure if this was referring to Jan, or Jim, or maybe even Michael.

"Sir, with all due respect, you just said you were concerned that Jim wasn't detached enough. So, frankly, I'm confused."

The CFO laughed. "You see, everything isn't so black and white."

Ryan really wanted to roll his eyes at that, because the lesson still wasn't very clear to him. But it did sound deep and powerful.

Pam and Jim arrived then, hand in hand. Ryan had never been so happy to see Jim Halpert in all his life.

"Hey guys!" Ryan said in an embarrasingly excited voice.

"Well, hi there Ryan," Jim said, looking confused. Ryan understood how he felt completely.

"Hey, Ryan. It's really good to see you," Pam said, smiling warmly.

"Hello, sir," Jim said.

"Please guys, call me David. This sir stuff is making me feel old," David told them.

"And you aren't?" Jim said glibly. Ryan shot him an irritated look, but the CFO just smiled warmly.

"Hey, I will kick your ass in basketball next time. That goofy coworker of yours was just distracting me," David said.

Ryan had no idea what they were talking about, and he had no idea Jim and the CFO were quite that chummy. Interesting.

"I was thinking we would just walk to this really good Italian place up the street a bit. Does that sound good to the lady here, who Jim never introduced me to?"

Jim blushed a bit, and said, "David, this is my girlfriend Pam. Pam, this is the CFO of our company."

"Oh, Pam as in 'Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam.' Good to put a face to the voice," he told her.

Pam smiled and looked down at the ground. "It's good to meet you."

They all walked to the restaurant in relative silence. Ryan noted that Jim and Pam seemed to be looking pretty happy. It was good things had worked out for them, because Jim had sure blown a lot professionally to be with her. He wondered if Pam fully appreciated it.

They all sat down, and David ordered them a bottle of wine, saying they all deserved a drink on the Dunder-Mifflin dime.

Ryan certainly couldn't argue with that, though he might have argued for his own bottle.

Sitting at a table with his boss and an attractive woman who both seemed to love Jim Halpert was not his idea of a good time. He definitely felt like the fifth wheel.

David Wallace turned to Jim almost as soon as the order was placed. "So, you wanted to talk about this position."

Jim looked down a second, apparently gathering courage. Ryan sat back, knowing this would be an interesting conversation.

"David, I really appreciate that you keep giving me opportunities. I really do. But...."

"You're not going to take it, are you?" the CFO asked.

"No, I can't. I can't sit back and let you fire Michael and snatch his job without telling you it would be a huge mistake."

"Why would that be?"

"I won't lie to you. Obviously, I know Michael has his more than his fair share of off the wall moments. But he is the face of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. He loves that office and he loves that community. The customers trust him across the board, because he is an amazing salesman and someone they know will absolutely bend over backwards to please them. Because the one thing about Michael Scott is that he really, truly cares," Jim said with a flourish.

Ryan could not believe that he had wasted such a heartfelt speech on Michael. It was pretty unbelievable.

Not that Ryan could argue with the gist of it. Certainly Michael would do anything to please. For some reason Ryan had felt that was a character flaw and not a strength. But really, that line was always so small, the one between your greatest strength and weakness.

Ryan had always felt his ability to detach and be pragmatic was his greatest strength. Lately he had the sinking feeling it might also be his greatest weakness.

The CFO sat silent for a moment.

A soft voice then spoke up. "Sir, I mean, David...I know I am just the receptionist and girlfriend to the Assistant Regional Manager, but I have worked with Michael a long time as well, and I think letting him go would really hurt the branch. And I think Jim would be an incredible manager, but Michael does bring a lot to the table," Pam said, her voice gaining strength as she spoke.

Ryan was really startled by how strong Pam had really become. These two seemed to be gaining strength and assertiveness from each other, which was interesting given that he hadn't figured either had very much to spare to begin with.

The CFO looked at her kindly. "Well, Pam, I will take that under advisement. I often find the receptionist knows the most of anyone in the office."

"That is definitely true in this case," Jim said proudly.

Pam blushed at the praise. Ryan for some reason felt compelled to chime in, maybe just to kiss ass since the CFO seemed to like Pam.

"She's also a hell of a web designer, so she's hardly 'just the receptionist,'" Ryan said.

The CFO looked at Pam approvingly. "You did the Scranton site? I was just telling Ryan how impressed I was by that site, but he didn't tell me who did it."

Pam smiled wide out of pride, but Ryan detected a note of hurt in her eyes that Ryan hadn't mentioned her.

"Ryan gave me the chance. I think that was a great idea to train from within like that," Pam told him. Ryan could have kissed her, but he figured then Jim really just might kick his ass.

The CFO turned to Jim. "Well, I think this one's a keeper. You really should marry her before someone else snatches her away."

Jim had a really strange look on his face, which Ryan couldn't place. He just suddenly looked really uncomfortable, but Ryan couldn't figure out why. He didn't figure Jim to afraid of commitment, at least as far as Pam was concerned.

"Well, he knows all he has to do is ask," Pam said, and then clamped her mouth shut quickly. Ryan couldn't believe what a lightweight Pam was. She'd maybe consumed one glass of wine.

Jim looked really panicked and flustered then, which Ryan was actually enjoying some. It appeared Jim wasn't smooth in all facets of life.

However, he soon realized there were other reasons for Jim's panic.

"No amount of laundry is going to get you out of this, Jim," a sad, cold voice said.

Even though Ryan knew who it was, he still felt compelled to turn around. Sure enough, there stood Michael Scott, looking betrayed.

Ryan really wished he could leave Scranton behind, but it seemed he was destined to relive moments from Scranton for the rest of eternity. It was a special little trick the universe was playing on him, and Ryan wasn't entirely sure what he done to deserve it. He just hoped Kelly wasn't out parking the car or something.

"How could you Jim? How could you?" Michael choked out.

Jim looked absolutely stricken at this point. "Michael, you don't understand...."

"And Pam? My dear, sweet Pam? Is this what happens when you let Jim...." Michael paused, and in maybe the first showing of tact and awareness in his life, decided finishing that sentence in front of the CFO was maybe not the best move.

And of course then Michael turned to Ryan, who had been hoping to get out of this unscathed. Ryan didn't know why he thought it was a possibility that Michael would just ignore him.

"Ryan, I can't believe you are also a part of this. I know you moved on under my gentle, guiding hand, but I thought that it meant something..." Michael said balefully.

Ryan had forgotten just how pathetic Michael could be. Ryan just shrugged, which pretty much summed up his feelings on the subject.

Ryan saw David Wallace stand up, and finally put an end to this scene.

"Michael, why don't you sit down and join us? It seems there might a lot to talk about," the CFO said calmly.

"I don't know if I want to sit at a table of traitors," Michael said petulantly.

Ryan was tired of this already. Enough was enough.

"Michael, I'll take it like a man," Ryan started.

"That's what she said!" Michael said, somehow not quite getting the gravitas of the situation.

"Anyway, I am the only supposed traitor. I recommended that Jim get your job. And Jim has fought it at every turn."

There was a loud buzzing sound. Jim looked sheepish, and flipped open his phone. "Voicemail. It's from the office. I wonder what that could be about," Jim said sarcastically, putting his phone to his ear.

"God, Dwight," Ryan heard Jim mutter.

"Do not speak ill of Dwight Schrutte, Jim. He is loyal to the core, and has learned his lesson about trying to take my job," Michael continued on, as though Ryan had not spoken.

"How did you find us here, anyhow?" Ryan had to ask, deciding maybe a move to a more neutral subject might help.

"When Dwight told me about what was going down, I had Jan contact Hunter to find out where David Wallace would be tonight."

Pam spoke then, using the voice she always used to talk Michael down in these situations. "What Ryan said is true. Jim doesn't want to take your job. He's here trying to save it, which is what we were doing when you walked in. So would you please sit down?"

Michael sighed, and looked obstinate. But he did sit down.

Michael turned to the CFO. "Is this true?"

David Wallace nodded. "I hadn't gotten the full pitch, because I was trying to pressure him into making an honest woman out of Pam. But I believe that was what he was selling, and your guy here is quite the salesman."

Michael's whole countenance shifted, and he beamed. "I taught him everything he knows!"

Ryan did roll his eyes at that. It was just too much.

Michael apparently wasn't done, and needed to chime in on the other subject at hand. "Our Pammy just isn't good at getting married. I imagine she's just gunshy."

Pam gaped at him, and Jim clenched his jaw.

Pam then gathered herself, and smiled wistfully as she stood up and walked toward Jim and kneeled in front of him.

Ryan couldn't believe what was happening. Man, was Halpert about to lose some major man points. But Jim appeared to be too much in shock to fully register what was happening.

"Shut it, all of you," Pam said and glared at the men at the table before turning to Jim.

"Jim, the happiest moment of my life to this point was you asking me out a year ago today," she paused and tears sprung to her eyes. She wiped them away and grabbed Jim's hand. "So, would you make today the new happiest day of my life and agree to marry me?"

She looked at Jim for a long moment, with Jim's expression being unreadable. Pam started to look concerned.

Then Jim smiled and reached into his pocket, drawing out a jewelry box. "Beesly, you sure know how to stomp all over a guy's plans," he said teasingly, handing her the box.

She slowly opened it, and beamed. "Does this count as jinx?"

"I don't think it was quite simultaneous, so no," he told her.

Ryan just gawked at them as Pam put the ring on her left ring finger, not quite believing what he had just seen. He wasn't sure if it was the sweetest, most ridiculous, or most pathetic thing he had witnessed. It was a tough call.

Then Jim grabbed Pam and drew her into his lap, kissing her. They broke apart fairly quickly, realizing where they were.

"Uh, sorry about the scene," Pam said sheepishly, still sitting in Jim's lap.

David Wallace just beamed at them. "Well, I was just telling you to do just what you did....Let's get some champagne, and maybe finally some food."

Pam stood up and went back to her chair, still beaming.

"You know Pam, he never actually said yes," Ryan said. He just couldn't help giving Jim a hard time, even in this special moment.

"I guess not. I made some assumptions," Pam said, playing along. "Maybe it was just a pretty ring. Should I have put it on my right hand?"

Jim just smiled the biggest smile Ryan had ever seen. "I don't know, with the PDA in front of a group of my superiors and the emasculating proposal if I really want to go through with it," he said, shaking his head.

"Well, I'm keeping the ring either way," Pam said.

"I guess then I'll go ahead and marry you. I'd hate to have wasted money on an engagement ring for nothing," he said.

"So I guess it's official now, Ryan," Jim said.

"I just wanted clarity, Halpert," Ryan said.

The champagne arrived then for the whole table. Jim cleared his throat to make a toast.

"Well, it's been quite the night, and I think there are still some details we need iron out. But I wanted to say that though I had planned a more private proposal, I think this really makes a much better story to tell the kids someday, you know, if we have any," he stuttered out.

Pam decided to pick up the slack, since Jim had actually failed to toast anything. She was doing a lot of that.

"To the future, inside and out of Dunder-Mifflin," Pam said, and they all clinked their glasses.

"So, can we talk about my job now?" Michael asked.

Jim laughed. "I definitely think it's time to talk about Michael's job, don't you David?"

The CFO smiled and nodded.

Ryan just sat back in his chair, not quite sure what to make of this evening's events. It seemed that once again his best role might be to just stay out of it. Jim appeared to have everything under control.
End Notes:
Again, thanks for reading as my little story bloated into a 15+ chapter opus! I'm loving getting to write, and it's been fun. I again extend my thanks to all who have been reviewing, and I hope I'm entertaining one or two others who haven't been reviewing. So please let me know! :)
Futons and Coffeehouses by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is definitely the last full chapter. I'll try and post an epilogue next week, but this is pretty much the end of this saga. Thanks to all those who stuck with it, I really appreciate all the kind words I received. It's kind of hard to put this first child to rest.

And, of course, I do continue at my day job. This alone says I own nothing.
Jim sat beside his newly minted fiance, Pam, marvelling at how the night had gone. David Wallace had seemed to readily accept that Michael should remain right where he was, and of course Pam had agreed to marry him, albeit not quite in the manner in which Jim had planned.

He realized he was childishly still a little disappointed that his plans had changed so dramatically, but he was looking forward to being able to tease Pam for the rest of their lives about how she had not been patient enough to wait for a proposal from him.

He of course realized that he was going to get his fair share of mocking in return for not having proposed first. But that was okay. He liked that this was yet another way he and Pam were equals in this relationship, and clearly had been on the same page. Buying the ring at least showed intent, he figured.

Jim couldn't help but notice that Ryan still looked absolutely blindsided, even as the evening had shifted from talk of work to more casual conversation. Jim was surprisingly finding that he was enjoying himself here with Michael, Ryan, David Wallace and Pam. If someone had told him before the evening began that this group of people would be at the table, he would have expected absolute misery. But his and Pam's public engagement had put the table in a good mood.

Well, except for Ryan. Of course, Ryan usually seemed fairly devoid of expression, so for all Jim knew he was giddy inside.

The CFO excused himself to use the restroom, leaving the Scranton group and Ryan alone together.

Michael looked at Ryan sadly. "I'm so lucky I have my loyal Pam and Jim watching my back, with heartbreakers like you trying to stab me in the heart," Michael said to Ryan in a cold voice, his eyes betraying the sadness underneath it.

Ryan shifted from detached to flustered, having clearly not been prepared for ever having to face Michael directly about this. Jim wondered if Ryan's plan had been to have Jim do the actual firing to avoid conflict.

Jim couldn't help but smile at the irony that Ryan shared one of Michael's primary managerial flaws, which was an incredible fear of conflict. Jim liked that he wasn't the only one who shared certain traits with Michael.

"Look, Michael, it wasn't personal," Ryan said, unable to contain his exasperation.

Michael hardened a bit more. "I told you before that this business is about people. I could have fired you before, you know, but I didn't. I thought you had learned under my guidance, but I guess I was wrong."

Jim had no clue what Michael was talking about, but sensed it might have had something to do with Ryan's shift to the annex a little over a year ago. To Michael, being sent to the back of the room away from the majority of the office would be about the worst punishment imaginable. Add in Kelly, and from Michael's perspective, more time with Toby, and you had a pretty thorough reprimand.

Ryan shrugged and rolled his eyes. He squirmed a bit, and Jim could sense how badly he wanted to flee.

"Michael, really. You still have your job. And considering how this whole day shows I am as bad at managing at Dunder-Mifflin as I am with sales, I might not be long for this job. So can we just move on, as we still have to work together for the time being."

Michael gave Ryan a long look, and nodded. "When I broke Jan's heart, twice actually, we still were able to work together. I suppose we can do the same," Michael said.

Jim looked on as Ryan took a deep breath, clearly trying to stop himself from pointing out what should be obvious differences between the two scenarios.

Jim wasn't quite ready for Ryan to be bailed out yet, given the torture he had put Michael through. Not to mention the torture Jim himself had been put through by Ryan's cold decisionmaking.

"I don't know Michael. How can we know it won't happen again?" Jim asked.

Ryan glared at him. Jim just smirked, thinking Ryan really deserved to squirm a bit more.

"Believe me, it won't. I've learned my lesson, really Michael," Ryan said, trying to end the line of discussion.

"Do you now admit that Michael's right about business?" Jim asked, not able to resist pushing things a bit more. Jim felt Pam kick him under the table. Jim looked at her out of the corner of his eye, and saw that she was trying really hard to look irritated but was also amused by Ryan's discomfort.

"Yes, Jim. Michael has taught me all about business, and now I see first hand how business is all about people," Ryan said in a monotone. "It has nothing to do with profit margins or bottom lines. Nothing at all."

Ryan shot Jim a look that said, "Are you happy?"

Jim smiled wider, and smiled and nodded in answer to the silent question.

Michael looked really moved and proud, with tears coming into his eyes.

"It's so hard to see your prodigies grow up before your eyes," he said, and stood up and forcefully pulled Ryan out of his chair into a hug.

Jim leaned back and put his arm around Pam. All was right in the world.

Jim decided that he had put Ryan through enough. After all, it was a night for celebration.

"Michael, I think you're going to suffocate him," Jim said.

Michael pulled away and went back to his chair.

"Jim, are you going to try and break Roy and Pam's record for longest engagement?" Michael asked, swiftly changing the subject.

Jim sometimes wondered why he does the things he does for Michael, and this was one of those moments.

Pam's jaw had dropped, and she looked annoyed. Jim decided it might be best to just let it go.

"Well, I think Keven might actually have moved into the front on that one," Jim said.

Pam smiled then, seemingly past her annoyance. "I don't know Jim, we'll have to take that one to the judges when we get back to the office."

Luckily, David Wallace came back then, ending that awkward line of conversation.

"Sorry that took so long. My wife called me as I was stepping out of the restroom, and it apppears I have a sick kid at home and need to head out. I'll just leave Ryan with the corporate card," David told them.

Pam looked sympathetic. "Oh, I hope he's okay," she said warmly.

"It looks like just a bad cold, but I need to pick up some supplies."

The CFO looked thoughtful for a second, then said,"Michael and Ryan, it's been a pleasure. Jim and Pam, would you mind walking me out?"

Jim had a feeling where this was going, but he didn't know why Pam would be involved.

"Of course," Pam said, tugging on his arm.

When they were outside the restaurant, the CFO looked at them appraisingly.

"Congratulations. I really wish you two the best," he said warmly.

"Thank you for not firing us after the big spectacle," Jim said. The other man laughed.

"Jim, while I admire your loyalty to Michael and value your opinion as to his merits as regional manager, I want to say I am concerned about you professionally," David said.

Jim nodded, feeling anxious. He decided it was best not to speak, and just to listen.

"I think it does none of us any good for you to stay indefinitely where you are. You're too good. And it seems your personal life is getting solidified, so maybe it's time for you to think about your career in a long term sense," the CFO continued.

Jim nodded again, not sure where this was heading at all. He looked to Pam, who just grabbed his arm, sensing something important was coming.

"Basically, I think you need to decide what you want. I think I am going to do some reorganization at corporate here soon, and I want you to be in Ryan's job, just as you should have been last year," he told him.

Jim couldn't believe the irony of all this. While maybe he and Ryan weren't especially tight, he didn't want to be moving Ryan out of a job either. What goes around comes around indeed.

Jim started to voice a protest, but he was cut off. "No, I know what you're thinking. I do value Ryan as well, but I think he might be better suited to a different job. Maybe one where he worked less directly with people."

Jim bit back a laugh at that, and nodded his understanding.

"I also asked Pam out here because I do admire her work on the website, and see real talent. I think Pam also needs to think long term as well, as I imagine she has aspirations beyond being a receptionist."

Pam blushed and looked a bit embarrassed by the praise. "Thank you so much," she told him sincerely.

"It's all something for you two to think about as you plan your future together. You both definitely have bright futures at Dunder-Mifflin, if that's what you want. What I need from you, especially Jim, is to let me know if a future here is indeed what you want."

"Right now?" Jim asked, not sure what to say.

"No, I will give you six months. You and I will have a meeting. And Pam, I think you need to get started in our graphic design internship next session. What do you think?"

"Yes," Pam said enthusiastically. Jim felt warm inside at the way she was beaming. It had been a wonderful night across the board for Pam.

"With that, I need to head home. Again, congratulations. Please think about what I said," David told them.

"Thank you," Jim said, not knowing what else to say.

Jim and Pam headed in, where Michael and Ryan were still at the table. It did not appear much conversation was going on.

"Well, guys, it's been quite the evening. I think Pam and I are ready to head out for the night," Jim said.

Pam shot him a look, and Jim shrugged. They both knew what was coming. But it was really inevitable, no matter how he excused them.

"Yeah, I imagine you two are ready to have lots of sex now to celebrate," Michael said.

"Probably all night," Pam said. Jim shot Pam a look of astonished glee as Ryan did a spit take with his drink.

Ryan coughed and sputtered for a second.

Jim couldn't resist one last little jab at Ryan.

"So Michael, where are you staying tonight? Hotels are really expensive here. Do you have any friends in the city you can stay with?" Jim asked.

Ryan's draw dropped and he looked at Jim in complete shock, and rapidly shook his head.

Michael looked thoughtful for a second. "Nope. Just Ryan here, who wanted to fire me earlier today. So I doubt he would do me any favors."

"Well, I just have a futon that is not really comfortable. It's more of a couch really, so you really wouldn't be comfortable," Ryan said pleadingly.

"I love futons! I slept on one for years," Michael said cheerfully.

"Well, you guys work it out amongst yourselves. Goodnight," Jim said cheerfully. Pam waved her goodbyes and let Jim walk her out the door.

Jim turned to Pam. "C'mon, Beesly. So early into this engagement, and we have unrealistic expectations. All night? Do you not remember this afternoon's activities?"

Pam turned a little pink but met his gaze head on. "I just thought you'd want me to try and earn you back some of your manhood after my emasculating proposal. I really figured we'd just go back to the room and cuddle, as I know that's more your speed," she told him.

Jim laughed, and felt incredibly light and happy. Things had really gone full circle in the course of the past year.

"So, is this the happiest day of your life?" Jim asked her.

Pam looked thoughtful. "Well, I had previously forgotten about being named Dwight's Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager being a part of the day you asked me out," she told him.

"Wow. That is a close call," he said.

Pam looked at her watch and laughed.

"I think we're already an old married couple. It's only 9 pm! I seriously thought it was pushing midnight!"

Jim reached out and took her hand and started to walk. "Beesly, would you be upset if we put the full night of cuddling off for a bit, and we went to a coffeeshop and just talked for awhile?"

Pam smiled at him, also remembering the evening the year before.

"I suppose that could be nice. Get some coffee into these old bodies of ours so we can sit and watch Conan tonight like any good old married couple would," Pam said.

Jim smiled. "Perfect. Just what I had in mind all along."

Somehow, despite everything, it appeared that evening was going to end up exactly how Jim had hoped.
End Notes:
Again, thanks to those who have been reviewing. I really love to hear that I'm not only entertaining myself.
Dunder-Mifflin: Where Dreams Come True by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is it! Thank you for sticking around. It's been fun getting into this whole fanfic thing, and hearing from people reading has made it my new favorite hobby.

And no, I own nothing still.
"I really don't think I can work at Dunder-Mifflin another day."

Jim smiled upon hearing those words, thinking back to the many times that he had thought it to himself.

Jim turned to the young woman who was sitting in his office to try and alleviate some of her concerns.

"I really suggest to all our employees that they give any temp job at least two weeks before quitting. Often, things aren't nearly as bad as they seem," Jim told her.

She just stared at him, clearly conveying that he was not getting it.

Jim sighed, fearing the worst. "Okay, tell me what happened exactly."

The young woman took a breath, and was silent for a second. She seemed to not know where to begin.

"Well, for starters, there was a party in my honor," she told him. "On my first day."

"And this didn't make you just feel welcome?" Jim asked, inwardly smiling to himself. It was good to see Michael remained the same with the passage of time.

"No, it was kind of creepy and weird. Plus, the boss told me that I wasn't as hot as the one and only other temp they'd ever had. Apparently, this dude works for your agency."

Just then Ryan entered Jim's office, having overhead the last part of the exchange. "Actually, I am the president. But yes, I was a temp. You could say that not only am I the president, but I was once a client."

The girl looked at him blankly. Jim grinned and exchanged a look with Ryan. It appeared they were getting old.

"Wow. Timely joke there Ryan. Did you get your material from Michael?" Jim asked.

Ryan actually looked embarrassed.

"Was that Michael's line? That's awesome that your scouting trip to the old haunting grounds went so well," Jim said, amused.

The temp was getting impatient, and wa sa bit confused. "Wait, did you guys used to work there? And yet you knowingly sent someone in?"

"Michael was our first employer to sign on when we were officially up and running two years ago. It was just now that he had an actual job for someone to do," Jim explained.

"Some job. All I do is answer phones. And Michael looked at me sadly the whole time, telling me that I need to call myself 'Pam' when I answered the phones."

"First, just tell Michael that he can call Pam at her office in the graphic design section of Dunder-Mifflin headquarters. She'll answer the phone that way," Jim told her.

Ryan decided to step in. "Look, you don't have to stay. But I will tell you that no boss of a temp will treat you quite like Michael will."

"Good," she said in return.

"Well, I went from temp to executive within that company in three years. And Pam, the former receptionist, learned graphic design on the job and has since been promoted. So it's not a bad place for career advancement,": Ryan said.

Ryan couldn't believe the words tumbling out of his mouth. Somehow, selling Dunder-Mifflin had been the best sales pitch of his life. Jim looked incredibly amused by this.

"Fine. I'll give it two weeks."

"Excellent. It was a pleasure meeting Dunder-Mifflin Scranton's first temp from Halpert Howard."

Ryan cringed, like he did every time he heard the name. He had really wanted to have his name first, but he had to admit Jim was right when he pointed out that everyone would wonder just who "Howard Halpert" was.

The temp left the office, clearly still haunted by other memories from her first day.

"You sticking around Scranton for long?"

"Nope. I have one meeting with an employer, then I am heading back to the city to be with my wife," Jim said.

Ryan couldn't believe how Jim let loose a little smile every time he said that. He also couldn't believe he was the one living in Scranton running the day to day operations of their business, with Jim coming in for one day a week to meet with employers and living in New York so Pam could take her big promotion. Funny how the world worked.

But Ryan had to admit it was working fantastically. Jim did a lot of the more mundane administrative tasks telecommuting from New York. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best arrangement for them.

Plus, it meant the two of them weren't together all the time. He thought this was the key to their successful partnership. And Jim was already putting out feelers for a New York branch, as their agency had done exceptionally well in a short time.

Ryan was glad to see that he was much better at starting his own business than working within an existing company. Ryan had begun to worry that he had no business acumen at all.

And sure enough, Jim could work magic with employers. That guy sure could sell. Plus his wife had given them a kick ass website design for free.

Jim turned to Ryan before leaving, "So, did you want to grab a beer or something before I head back?"

Ryan shook his head. "It's fine. You go on back. Say hi to Pam for me."

Jim nodded, and waved goodbye. He started walking toward the exit, nostalgia hitting him as he thought about the office he had left behind.

When Jim had sat down with David Wallace six months after his engagement, Jim finally knew he was ready to venture out and do other things. Ryan had taken his potential transfer from his job as a bad omen, and had decided enough was enough as well. So they had finally decided to follow through on their business venture.

It has definitely been tough going for awile, with Jim and Pam trying to live off her meager rceptionist's earnings and Jim's limited savings. But it had been totally worth the risk. For the first time in his life, Jim was invested in his work. It had been quite the difference.

As Jim headed to his car, he saw the new Dunder-Mifflin temp smoking a cigarette and looking tense. He decided to give it one more go at making her life better.

"Is Dwight still working there?" he asked her, immediately wondering why he had even bothered to ask.

"The weird salesman with the cheap glasses with a bizarre obsession with bears?"

"I figured he'd still be there. Just a suggestion, but you should go the store and buy a few beets. Bring them in and tell him you bought the world's best beets. No matter what he says, keep swearing these are the best."

The poor girl looked puzzled. "Trust me, it will be a good time. Then tell him Jim Halpert says hi."

She just nodded and said, "Sure, I'll try anything to stay marginally entertained."

Jim smiled and waved goodbye. "Good luck. You just might find Dunder-Mifflin is the place that makes all your dreams come true."
End Notes:
Again, thanks for reading! Please let me know what you think of it all now that it's over. I feel a little sad and nostalgic, kind of like Jim. :)
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2255