Paper Cut: The Office Murder Mystery by Ellelque
Summary:

Someone is dead in The Office, and everyone is a suspect.


Categories: Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Suspense
Warnings: Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 36808 Read: 27576 Published: July 12, 2007 Updated: August 06, 2007
Story Notes:

 

This story begins right after "The Negotiation"  The episode where Roy attempts to punch Jim, only to be pepper sprayed by Dwight. The story will include romance and such as soon as it is appropriate.  Go with me on this.  It is going to be a awesome trip.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 - A Killer's Plot by Ellelque

2. Chapter 2 - The Discovery by Ellelque

3. Chapter 3 - Arriving at Work by Ellelque

4. Chapter 4 - Gathering the Suspects by Ellelque

5. Chapter 5 - The Interrogations - Toby by Ellelque

6. Chapter 6 - The Interrogations - Michael by Ellelque

7. Chapter 7 - The Interrogations - Andy and Dwight by Ellelque

8. Chapter 8 - The Interrogations - Ryan and Kelly by Ellelque

9. Chapter 9 -The Interrogations - Phyllis and Kevin by Ellelque

10. Chapter 10 - The Interrogations - Oscar and Angela by Ellelque

11. Chapter 11 - The Interrogations - Stanley, Meredith, Creed, Darryl and Karen by Ellelque

12. Chapter 12 - The Interrogations - Pam by Ellelque

13. Chapter 13 - The Interrogations - Jim by Ellelque

14. Chapter 14 - Interrogations over by Ellelque

15. Chapter 15 - The Arrest by Ellelque

16. Chapter 16 - Phone Calls by Ellelque

17. Chapter 17 - Visiting Hours by Ellelque

18. Chapter 18 - Fancy New Beesly has a plan by Ellelque

19. Chapter 19 - The Return of Employees by Ellelque

20. Chapter 20 - The Meeting by Ellelque

21. Chapter 21 - The Warning by Ellelque

22. Chapter 22 - The Discovery by Ellelque

23. Chapter 23 - The Reveal by Ellelque

24. Chapter 24 - The Reactions by Ellelque

Chapter 1 - A Killer's Plot by Ellelque
Author's Notes:

It seems a bit grim in the beginning.  But I am trying to set a mood.  The cast takes over in the next chapters.

The clock on the wall of the break room read 10:14pm.  The killer stood over the body, a bloody pair of scissors in their bare hand.  Bright red blood trickled down the killer's cheek and dripped down on their blue shirt.  The atmosphere was still and quiet.  Then, a sound came from the office in the next room.  The office front door opened. The killer quickly turned off the break room light and looked through the blinds into the office area.

Jim Halpert came into the office.  He headed towards his desk and turned on his small desk light. He opened a top drawer.  He was wearing a pair of gray sweat pants and a black t-shirt.  He had a cell phone pressed in his shoulder as he used his hands to search for something.

"I know Karen."  Jim said hurriedly, "I have the number right here." 

Jim picked up a piece of paper and held it in the lamp light of his desk.  He read aloud the phone number printed on it.

"I know, but if you're gonna use me for your answering service, you should at least be patient enough to wait until morning to get the phone number. "  Jim said exasperated.  "I understand that she's your sister and you needed that number.  Next time have Pam send it to your voicemail.  No, I don't understand your problem with her!"

 Jim sighed in irritation. "Uh uh, I'm not coming over tonight.  I'm tired.  You're cranky.  You made me leave my comfortable apartment and drag myself over to the one place I hate to be in the middle of the night.  It could have waited until morning.  Okay, I'll see you in the tomorrow.

Jim clicked the phone shut.  He crumpled the piece of paper and tossed it into the garbage can.  The killer accidently hit a metal blind slat with a hand.  It made a small click.  The killer stood back quickly and strengthened the grip on the bloody scissors.  Jim heard the click and looked up.  He stood silent for a moment listening for any other strange noises.  He glanced over at the darkened break room.  Jim took one step in the direction of the break room door.  The killer backed up and slid into a shadow.

Jim's phone rang loudly in the still night.  He paused distracted and opened the phone.  Looking closely at the number, he pulled a frustrated face and answered the call.

"Yes?" Jim snapped, "No, I am not stopping by the Wendy's to buy you a chicken sandwich.  Why?  Because I have approximately 10 hours before I have to hall myself back into here.  I want to go home, relax and get some sleep.  No...I am not mad at you.  I'm just tired."

Jim turned back towards the office entrance.  He reached over and snapped off his office lamp.  He ended the call from Karen and this time, turned the phone off before clicking it shut.  He took out his keys and left, locking the door behind him.

The killer waited for a full five minutes before moving out of the shadow, all the while wiping bloody hands off on the blue shirt.  The killer headed to a small closet in the corner, opened the door and removed an old jacket that had been left by a previous employee.  Donning the jacket, the killer covered their bloody clothes and placed the bloody scissors into the jacket pocket.

Walking quickly out of the break room, the killer went to Jim's desk and opened the top drawer.  Using a tissue, the killer removed a pair of stainless steel scissors.  The scissors had "Jim's Scissors - Remove from Jim's desk and this will self destruct" etched into the side of the orange plastic handle.

The killer walked over to Angela's desk and opened the bottom file drawer, carefully removing a small metal box.  Prying open the lock with Jim's scissors, the killer removed the petty cash that was enclosed.  The destroyed lock box was then placed atop Angela's desk.

 The killer walked back to the break room and flicked the overhead light back on.  Bending down, the killer paused for a second before plunging Jim's scissors into the gaping wound in the victim's neck.

Standing back and examining the handiwork, the killer looked closely for any clues that could give them away.  The body was face up.  It was clothed in jeans and a green flannel shirt.  His arms were bent at an odd angle, one hand reaching towards his throat.  The victim's legs were splayed out and one was angled under the dining table.  A large pool of blood was already congealing under his head.  His eyes were staring up and open at the ceiling.  The once handsome and boyish face of Roy Anderson was open mouthed, as if in a muted scream.

The killer stood for one more minute, coldly gazing at the dead man, and then turned to leave.  The break room light was turned back off and the killer quietly exited the office.

End Notes:
To be continued...
Chapter 2 - The Discovery by Ellelque

Dwight let himself into the office early for his usual work day preparations.  His eyes were puffy and his clothes not quite as wrinkle-free as normal.  He let out a large yawn.  The first sign to Dwight that something was wrong was the foul odor.  He lifted his head up and sniffed the air.  There was a slight fecal smell mixed with a strong iron-like scent.  It was not a strong odor, but Dwight had always prided himself on his exceptional senses, and he knew something smelled wrong.

He walked over to his desk and placed his briefcase down.  Dwight turned and walked to the break room, looking around the area for clues to the smell.  When he opened the break room door, the stench wafted out in a huge, pungent mass of stink.  He automatically covered his nose and held back a gag.  He reached over with his free hand and turned on the light.  The florescent lights flickered on. 

Dwight was stunned to see saw a pair of denim clad legs sticking out between the tables. But the sight that made Dwight suddenly lose some of his control was the walls.  There were streams of blood covering parts of the walls and drenching the vending machines.  It was like someone had taken a can of red paint and thrown it Jackson Pollack-like in a grotesque visceral painting.  The combination of the smell and the sight of so much blood made Dwight's stomach churn.  He braced himself and walked slowly to the body to identify who it was.  He barely reached the table and he stretched up and bent to see the face that belonged to the legs.

Dwight recognized Roy Anderson immediately.  When he caught sight of the scissors sticking out of Roy's neck, Dwight lost all of his control.  He reached over and grabbed a garbage can, hurling his morning Egg McMuffin and Orange Juice into the plastic bin.  He stayed bent over for a second before he could stand.  Then Dwight came to his senses enough to know that he was standing in the middle of a crime scene.  He let go of the garbage can and back tracked to the door to let himself out.  After closing the door, Dwight ran over to his desk and dialed 911.

"911, how can I help you?"  Answered a female voice.

"I...My name is Dwight K. Shrute!  I work at Dunder Mifflin."  Dwight said quickly, "There's a body.  Roy...Roy Anderson, a former employee is lying dead on the floor!"

"Sir, calm down.  I will send a vehicle to your address at once."  The woman replied. "Are you safe?  Is anyone else hurt?  Is there a perpetrator on the premises?"

Dwight looked around the office, suddenly fearful of what else could be happening.  He saw the broken lock box on Angela's desk.

"I think I'm the only one here.  There's a lock box that appears to have been broken into.  What do you want me to do?"  Dwight asked.  His face was pale and he felt dizzy.

"If there is no one else there, then leave the room and wait at the entrance for the police to arrive.  Do not let anyone else enter the premises.  Do you need to stay on the line with me?" The operator asked.

"No, I'm on the office phone." Dwight said, wanting to get out of the room.  "I'll wait outside for the proper authorities."

Dwight hung up the phone and retrieved his briefcase, knowing that it was not part of the original crime scene.  As he went to the entrance, he felt for his cell phone to call Michael.  When he opened the door, Michael was on the other side just starting to reach for the door knob.  Dwight freaked out and let out a little small girlish scream.  Michael jumped back in alarm.

"Jeez!"  Michael yelled, "What is wrong with you?"

"Michael, Michael you can't go in there!"  Dwight stammered, feeling his heart racing. "Roy's dead!"

"What?" Michael looked confused. "Dwight you look terrible!  What are you talking about?"

"Roy is dead, stabbed on the floor in the break room!"  Dwight answered and tried to close the door behind him.  Michael dropped his briefcase on the floor and a hand shot up to his mouth.  He thought for a moment.

"You're kidding me."  Michael suddenly said and smiled, "I bet Jim is pulling some prank on you.  You are such an easy mark!"

Michael pushed by Dwight and went into the office.  Dwight waited for a second and a loud shriek was heard from the office.  Michael came running out and slammed the door behind him.  His face was pale and the crotch of his trousers was wet.

"Oh my God!"  Michael yelped, "Call 911!"

"I did. They're on their way."  Dwight said, he clumsily and tried to put the key in the lock.

"What are you doing locking the door?"  Michael asked.

"There's no one is in there!"  Dwight said faintly.

"Dwight, there is a body in there!"  Michael snapped, "How are the cops going to get in?"

"Oh right."  Dwight said and put the key in his pocket.  They heard the squawk of a police radio and saw two Lackawanna County Policemen coming out of the elevator.  The police approached them.

"You call about a body?"  The tall, mustached one asked.

"Yes, there is a former employee, Roy Anderson, dead on the break room floor."  Dwight said.

"He has a big pair of scissors sticking out if his neck!"  Michael added and gave a shiver.  He could feel the moisture on the front of his pants starting to cool and give him a chill.

"Are you the only one's here?"  The cop asked.

"Yes, none of the other employees have arrived yet."  Dwight said.  Michael wondered to himself if he had a pair of extra jeans in his car trunk.

"Can you both wait out front and stop the other employees from entering the building?"  The shorter, baby-faced cop asked.

"Sure thing.  Of course, Officer."  Dwight said professionally and he led Michael to the elevator.  Michael shook his leg out and attempted to hide the wet stain in his pants.  They got in the elevator and started to descend.

"Oh my god!"  Michael said quickly, "I got to call corporate!  What do you think happened?"

"I have no idea!" Dwight replied, "It would help if I were still with the sheriff's department."

They walked to the glass entrance and stood outside.  Oscar and Kevin pulled in at the same time.  They exited their cars and walked over.

"What are you doing out here?"  Kevin asked. "Michael, why are your pant's wet?"

"There has been an act of homicide in our office."  Dwight answered. "The authorities are in there now.  We have to stay out here."

"Roy's got a pair of scissors sticking out of his neck!"  Michael said loudly, "Dead, blood everywhere, someone vomited in the garbage!"

"Jesus!"  Oscar said and crossed himself.  Kevin, shocked, sat on a small bench near the entrance.

"Roy...Pam's Roy?"  Kevin inquired.

As if using her name was some sort of an introduction, Pam's car arrived.  The men watched nervously as she parked and walked towards the small group.  At the same time the mustached police officer came out of the entrance.

"Sirs, and Ma'am," The cop said and nodded to Pam. "We are going to need you to stay in the parking lot and not leave just yet.  My partner is upstairs and securing the scene.   If any other employees arrive.  Can you have them stay here?  We will need to ask some questions.  Just go over there, out of the entrance way and some more police will be here soon to help."

Pam looked at Michael, then Oscar.  She felt a sense of dread growing in her heart.

"What's going on?" Pam asked.

For a second, all four men stared at Pam sorrowfully.  She noticed their expressions and panic started to fill her.  Michael suddenly looked everywhere but at Pam.  Dwight looked at the ground.  Kevin just kept shaking his head. Oscar walked over and placed an arm on her shoulder.  He looked at her and tried to form the words. 

"Pam...someone...has been killed in the office."  Oscar said slowly.  "It was someone close to you?"

"Jim..."  Pam felt her blood run cold and she turned pale.  She shrieked, "Not Jim!"
End Notes:

Reviews are always nice

 

Chapter 3 - Arriving at Work by Ellelque
 

Pam fell against Oscar and he held her close to him.  "No, Pam.  It isn't Jim.  Pam...its Roy."

Pam felt relief and horror at the same time.  "Roy?  But how?  He doesn't work here!  How did he get killed in the office?"  Her eyes swam in fresh tears.  Just days ago, after his tirade on Jim in the office, she had sat with him in the diner and ended things.  They had become friends.  He had finally understood her and had accepted that it was over.  She still had a large place for him in her heart.  Pam put her head into Oscar's shoulder and cried.

Phyllis arrived and made her way over to the crowd.  She saw the weeping Pam and once told the news took over for Oscar.  She pulled out a white lace handkerchief and handed it to the crying woman. She then led Pam to the bench and stroked her back tenderly as she wept. 

Three more police vehicles arrived at the same time as Creed, Stanley and Karen.  The employees were told the news and directed to park their cars in the adjoining lot, but to return with the rest of the group.  Creed parked his car three blocks down, worried about his marijuana stash in the glove compartment of his old VW bug.  Karen watched Pam sitting with Phyllis.  Pam looked devastated and Karen felt a small pang of guilt over her malice at the pretty receptionist.  She wondered to herself what Jim would do when he saw Pam's condition.

The rest of the employees arrived for work.  Angela anxiously went to Dwight. She was pale and seemed slightly shaken by the news. He told her of the broken lock box.  Michael called corporate and Jan was driving down from New York.   Meredith swigged her morning coffee with a little more gusto than usual.  Stanley didn't have the heart to pull out his crosswords.  Darryl sat morosely talking on his cell phone. He rubbed his eyes a few times in an attempt not to shed any tears. The other warehouse workers were similarly upset.

Billy, the building manager, was contacted and he arrived with keys to an empty office area.  Most of the employees were shuffled into the first floor conference room.  Kelly stubbornly refused to go into the building at first, fearing for her own safety and a killer "on the loose."  The mustached police officer, seeing her frenzied response ordered her to calm down and join her office mates.  Ryan, embarrassed at her behavior, shamefully tagged along.  Oscar and Dwight, after being informed not to get in the way, were allowed to stay outside.  They watched the myriad of police and crime scene vehicles.  One news van pulled up, but they were cordoned off by the authorities.

Jim was the last employee to arrive.  He felt as if he had entered some bad action movie as he walked to the entrance.  The sound of police radios blurted over the din of cops and detectives.  Someone stopped him and asked him who he was.  He told them he worked at Dunder Mifflin.  He pointed to Dwight and Oscar, stating that they knew him.  The police did not answer his queries about the situation.  Dwight and Oscar beckoned him over.

"What in the hell is happening?"  Jim asked.

"Roy Anderson was murdered in the office last night!" Oscar answered.

"Holy Crap!"  Jim said, shocked with disbelief.  "Last night I was here for a moment to get a phone number!"

"Jesus Jim!"  Dwight said quickly, "That could have been you!  They robbed petty cash."

"But we only keep about $100 dollars in petty cash?"  Jim said, "Who would kill over that?"

"Drugs Jim.  Gotta be drugs."  Dwight said sternly.

"They want all of us to stay here and be interviewed."  Oscar said, "Michael was told the building would be closed for at least a couple of days."

"Oh no, where's Pam?"  Jim inquired.  He didn't take time to think of the danger he had been exposed to the previous night.  He was worried about Pam. He knew that she would be upset. 

"She is inside at the 1st floor conference room."  Oscar said.  "She's really torn up."

"He had a pair of scissors in his throat! For some reason, she thought you were the one killed?"  Dwight said, "Why is that Jim?"

Oscar gave Dwight an angry "shut up" look.  Dwight grimaced and turned his attention to an ambulance that had arrived.

 "Yeah," Jim replied, looking at the police coming in and out of the building. "Pam and Roy were together a long time.  I know she broke up with him recently, but she did love him."  He started to head towards the entrance.

"Jim, where are you going?" Dwight asked.

"I got to go check on Pam."  Jim answered.  Dwight look confused. Oscar looked at Dwight and shook his head at Dwight attempt to stop him. 

"That's who she needs Dwight." Oscar said quickly, "Stay out of it."

"But why...Okay Jim, but don't leave the area."  Dwight yelled at Jim's retreating figure. "They're speaking to us individually in another office."  Jim shook his head and continued into the office building.

End Notes:
The reviews actually inspire me to write my chapters faster.
Chapter 4 - Gathering the Suspects by Ellelque
 

Jim walked past the police guard at the entrance.  He was questioned about his identity and then directed down the hall.  He went into a large conference room that was located on the first floor.  Some employees were gathered around a small conference table and some were seated against the walls. Everyone looked like they were going through varied stages of disbelief and fear.   Michael paced back and forth, waving his arm around and yelling into a cell phone to Jan. 

Jim saw Karen located on one side of the room.  She was positioned with her briefcase on her lap.  Her laptop computer was powered up and on the briefcase.  She casually read something on the screen.  Pam sat on the other side of the room.  Phyllis was beside Pam comforting her.  Kelly was sitting on the other side of Phyllis chatting loudly and manically to Angela, who sat coldly rigid in response.  Ryan stood against the wall ignoring Kelly's rambling.  Phyllis looked up and saw Jim.  She looked over at Karen and then back at Jim to see what he would do next. 

Jim saw that Pam had been crying very hard.  She clutched a handkerchief to her nose.  Her eyes were puffy and wet.  Jim felt a little tug in his heart as he watched her misery.  Karen called his name and he turned to see her staring at him.  She had an empty chair next to her.  He looked over at Pam, and then back at Karen.  Karen raised an eyebrow and gave him a challenging look.  Jim looked back at Pam and saw that she had become aware of his presence.  She stared at him with such open pain and need that Jim felt himself not just walking towards her, but almost transported.  He mentally blocked out Karen's glare.

"Pam, I'm so sorry."  Jim said softly.  Phyllis stood and gave Jim her seat.  Pam leaned into Jim and he hugged her.  He was torn with guilt as part of him struggled with the bliss of holding her and the anguish of her pain.  He wanted to take the grief away from Pam and make her smile again.  She softened into him and he placed a long arm around her.  It just felt so right to be comforting her.  Jim knew this is where he was meant to be.

"Oh Jim!"  Pam sobbed into Jim's jacket, "He was so young!  Who would have killed him?  I need to talk to his family."

"Pam, I'm sure the police will find out who did it and why."  Jim said reassuringly.  "You can call them after we get out of here."  He rocked her slightly and caressed her arm.  He saw Karen stand up and stalk out the door.  Phyllis stood near them and Jim looked up at her inquiringly.

"They're talking to Toby right now."  Phyllis said.  She indicated a closed door on the right side of the room. "They're going to talk to all of us, and then we can go home.  They are also taking all of our fingerprints to compare them to any left at the sce...office.  Michael spoke to corporate and the office is closed for the rest of the week."

Kevin, who sat nearby joined in the conversation.  "I overheard one of the detectives tell another that there were no signs of a break in.  They think it was an inside job."

"Great Kevin!"  Angela snapped, "Why don't you just blame everyone in the office."

"What?  I didn't think it.  I just heard it."  Kevin said defensively.  Angela frowned at him and crossed her arms.

"What's the matter Angela?  You afraid some cold blooded murder could be sitting right next to you at work?"  Andy, who was standing nearby inquired.  He arched his eyebrows in an inappropriate villain like face. "You never really know what goes on in our minds."

"It can't be one of us.  Dwight said someone broke into the petty cash box."  Angela replied, "It was probably a thief that somehow got a key.  Maybe he came in with Roy?  It wasn't that much money.  But, who in our office would steal $100?"

"Man, I'd really like to go to my car right now."  Creed said to himself two seats down. "I'd really like to relax for a while.  There is a very tense vibe around here."

"I just want to go home and hug my kid."  Remarked Stanley. He was sitting next to Creed.  He absent-mindedly leafed through a pamphlet he had found on the floor.

"Well, all I know is I'm not stepping foot in that office again until I know he is caught!"  Kelly asserted. "Scissors, I mean who kills with scissors?  That is just so gross!"

"Kelly, be quiet!" Angela said firmly.  Kelly turned towards her agitated.

"Hey, I'm just revolted that..." Kelly yelled and gestured dramatically.

"Kelly just shut up!" Ryan snapped and glanced over at Jim and Pam. "Can't you see you're upsetting Pam?"

Kelly became very quiet.  She looked around and saw that even the mildest mannered employees such as Phyllis and Jim glaring at her. 

"What?" She said defensively.  Kelly then stood and walked over to Darryl.  He sat next to a teary eyed Madge.

Jim sat back and held Pam.  He thought back to the previous night when he was in the office.  He remembered the sound from the break room.  He also remembered that Karen's phone call was what distracted him from checking on the sound.  He recognized the irony.  A little feeling of shame started to came over him for not talking to Karen this morning.  But then he remembered that he wouldn't have been at the office last night in the first place had Karen not insisted on getting her way.

The door on the right opened and Toby came out.  He glanced over at Pam.  His sad face seemed to fall even lower when he saw her in Jim's arms.  He told Michael that he was going to go home quickly but that he would return when Jan arrived from New York.  Michael made a quick remark about Toby abandoning the ship while it was hitting icebergs, then went back to talking to Jan on the phone.  Toby wondered to himself why Michael was wearing light blue sweatpants with his suit coat and tie.

The detective proceeded to call the rest of the employees in one at a time.  Jim sat back with Pam.  She leaned against him for comfort.  Jim waited his turn for interrogation.

 

Chapter 5 - The Interrogations - Toby by Ellelque
Author's Notes:
The next few chapters are dedicated to the police interrogations of the employees. The story will pick up on action after we learn what the detectives find out.
Toby

Toby gave the detective a copy of all the employees that worked in the office and warehouse of Dunder Mifflin.  He also gave him copies of all their badge photos.  Detective Robert Edwards took it and smiled.  He sat down across from Toby and read the list.

"Is there anyone on this list that may have had a problem with Roy Anderson?"  Detective Edwards asked, still looking on the list.

"I can't think of anyone."  Toby said softly.

"Did you know him well?"  Edwards asked.

"I was his Human Resources representative.  I helped hire him. Roy worked in the warehouse.  He did come up to the office once in a while."  Toby answered. "He was engaged to our receptionist Pam for a long time.  They lived together for a while.  They had broken up recently."

"Do you know what it was over?"  Edwards asked.

"Not really."  Toby said.  He had his hands folded in his lap.  He gave a meek smile and said softly.  "Pam's a really nice woman.  She wouldn't have hurt him.  But I think he seemed rather neglectful.  I never really paid much attention until they broke up."

"You have a thing for her?"  Edwards asked and Toby's ears turned a bright pink.

"I thought of asking her out when she became single."  Toby said quietly, "But I think she has a thing for Jim."

"Jim Halpert?"  Edwards said, consulting the list.

"Yes, Jim's in sales." Toby said, "He had transferred to Stamford, but then when the branches merged, he came back.  Before Stamford, they seemed to spend a lot of time together in the office."

"Isn't he the one that Roy tried to fight the other day?"  Edwards asked.

"Yes, and Roy was dismissed as a result."  Toby replied.

"Did Jim try to fight him back?"  Edwards inquired.

"From my reports, I learned that Jim actually pushed Karen Fillipelli out of Roy's way so she wouldn't be hit, and as Roy lunged, then Dwight took out his mace and sprayed Roy in the eyes." Toby stated. "No one but Roy got hurt.  He was dismissed that day.  There were no other altercations on his record.  He had a DUI after Pam called off their wedding.  But I figure he just went off the deep end in reaction."

"They had been broken up a long time?"  Edwards asked and wrote on the pad.

"I think they attempted reconciliation recently."  Toby answered.  "They broke up again right before the office incident."

"I'm asking anyone that knew Roy personally some pointed questions."  Edwards said attempting to put Toby at ease. "I know that you were his HR rep, but I have to ask everyone. Where were you about 10:00 last night?"

Toby sat quiet for a second. "I have small apartment.  I'm divorced and live alone.  So all I can say is that I was at home.  I watch the news then go to bed on work nights."

"Again, do you know anyone who would want to hurt Roy?"  Edwards asked.

"If I had to name one person, the only one who really didn't seem to like him was Jim."  Toby said.  "I don't know the whole story.  But that is the only person I could think of, even if I don't think he did it."

"Thanks Toby."  Edwards said, "Thanks for the list and I will be in touch if there is anything else I need."

Toby gave a small smile and left.

Chapter 6 - The Interrogations - Michael by Ellelque
Michael

Michael sat in the chair and wrung his hands together.  Sweat beaded on his forehead and he thought again about the still damp urine on his underpants.  He was unable to locate a pair of jeans, but did find some old sweatpants in an gym bag.  He couldn't find new underwear and felt that going commando in sweatpants would probably not be a good idea.  So he wrung his underwear out as best he could and put them on under his sweat pants. 

He couldn't quite figure out what to tell everyone who asked him why he was wearing a suit top and tie with a pair of gym pants.  So, when asked, he would say something very low and fast, turning his head and changing the subject to something else.  Only 2 people had as inquired as to his attire, the rest figured it out on their own once they learned that he had seen the body.

"Mr. Scott."  A detective, who had introduced himself as Detective Edwards, inquired. "Can you think of anyone who would want to hurt Mr. Anderson?"

"I can't think of anyone who would want to hurt Roy?"  Michael said. "He was a big guy.  He could hurt us first."  Michael stared anxiously at a big, burly policeman who stood in the room.

"No one?" asked Edwards again.

"Well, he did get into a fight here the other day.  That's why he was fired."  Michael said, "He was going to hit Jim, one of my salesmen.  But then Dwight, another salesman, maced him first."

"Jim Halpert?  Why did he try to hit Jim?"  Edwards inquired, writing down something on a paper pad.  Michael watched nervously.

"Well, Jim had a thing for Pam. And Roy had been engaged to Pam." Michael replied, "But that was a ways back.  Jim is dating Karen now."

"That would be Pam Beesly, the receptionist and Karen Filipelli, a sales rep?"  Edwards asked looking at a list located on the desk.  Michael arched up trying to read the list.  The detective placed a piece of paper over the list and Michael averted his eyes guiltily.

"Yeppers."  Michael said, "Jim always gets the girl.  He got to the hot purse girl before I could.  I don't know why, maybe they like that tall, shaggy haired type. He is funny too.  Doesn't have my comedy skills, but can be kind of funny."

"Could he have wanted to harm Roy?" Edwards asked.

"Jim, oh no!"  Michael said, "He would never do that.  Jim is kinda like the cool kid in class who everyone likes.  Except Roy.  No, I could see Roy killing Jim, but not the other way around."

"When did you last see Roy?"  The detective asked.

Michael looked and the ceiling and hummed to himself as he thought. He made a few faces in concentration.  "I think...The day he picked up his last check he was in the office.  I saw him from my office.  But Darryl, who manages the warehouse, who I manage as Regional Manager, he was the one to terminate him.  I would've let him stay on if he promised to not hit at anyone again.  Corporate insisted on it because of possible lawsuits and stupid stuff like that. They can be so uncaring.  I care about those people that work for me.  I am like their leader."

Detective Edwards resisted rolling his eyes, or writing Idiot on his notepad.  He was starting to realize that this guy, manager or not, was clueless in more ways than one.

"I hear that you did see the body?"  Edwards asked.

Michael gave a little shiver.  "Yes, that was just horrible.  When Dwight told me, I thought he was just being an idiot.  I thought maybe Jim was playing one of his pranks on him.  I went to see for myself."

"That is when you left a few drops of evidence at the crime scene?"  Edwards asked and indicated Michael's pants.  Michael blushed and covered his lap with his hands as if to hide evidence.

"Uh, yes, I guess that is important to know?"  Michael replied.

"Well, I ask this because it is important that we rule out any possible suspects that the evidence may lead us to." Edwards replied.

"Suspect, am I a suspect!"  Michael became alarmed. "Uh...I can't even kill cockroaches!  You can check my condo!  I think the neighbors saw me watching television.  I tend to leave my windows open.  Is that a good alibi?  Should I get a lawyer?"

"Don't worry Mr. Scott. I think you're safe."  Edwards said, not saying what was really on his mind, which was if he was the killer, he was a frigging genius with the dumb act.

"Last question, then you can go."  Edwards continued, "What time did you leave the office last night and who was there when you left?"

"That's 2 questions."  Michael replied, but sensing the impatience of the detective continued, "I left at approximately 3:30pm.  I know business hour go until 5:00, but I had a hair cut appointment, and Mr. Todd is very stingy with his afternoon appointments.  It was the only one I could get.  So, I guess you could say that everyone was in the office."

"Thank you Mr. Scott."  Detective Edwards replied, "And, we are going to need a small urine sample before you leave today."

"What you gonna test me for drugs?" Michael asked alarmed and wondered if Dwight would be as giving as he was in the past.

"No, Mr. Scott."  Edwards sighed frustrated, "We need to make sure yours is the only piss left at the scene."

Michael looked relieved and bolted for the door before the detective could ask any more questions.

Chapter 7 - The Interrogations - Andy and Dwight by Ellelque

Andy

"Mr. Bernard, did you know Roy Anderson?"  Edwards asked.

"I did know the murder victim by name, Detective Edwards."  Andy smiled and replied, "But I did not really know him as a person."

"Why do you refer to him as a murder victim?"  Edwards questioned.

"Because...he had scissors in his throat, Detective Edwards."  Andy said defensively, "I was told he had scissors in his throat and that would be a really kooky and stupid way to kill yourself.  I also can't picture it being and accident.  I mean can a person fall on..."

"No, Mr. Bernard."  Edwards said quickly, "It was obviously a homicide. I just wanted to know who told you the details about the scissors."

"It's Drew, call me Drew, Detective Edwards."  Andy smiled, "I heard Kevin talking about it with Oscar.  Maybe they heard it somewhere else.  Everyone knows about the scissors by now."

"Do you know anyone who would have wanted to hurt Roy?"  Edwards asked.

"Well, Detective Edwards, he was a big guy.  I thought rather like a bully.  From afar he seemed rather domineering to some people.  Not me of course.  But that was just my impression."  Andy remarked. "Boy, he really had his hate on for Jim though.  But I don't think Jim would kill him.  Though, Jim is a pretty deep guy.  He keeps his cards close to his chest.  Maybe he is leading a double life?"

"You weren't there during the macing incident?"  Edwards asked.

"No, I was not Detective Edwards."  Andy said, "I was there the next day though."

"When you came back from Anger Management?" Edwards inquired.  Andy started to feel a little uncomfortable.

"Well, yes."  Andy said hesitantly.  "I had a little issue earlier.  But I learned from it.  I have learned to control the situation, not let the situation control me, Detective Edwards."  He smiled widely.  His face looked frozen like a demented mannequin.

"You get angry a lot, Drew?"  Edwards asked seriously.  He watched Andy closely for a reaction.  He noticed Andy squirming a little more than he was earlier.  The smile was fading.

"I...have my moments."  Andy replied, "But, I can tell you.  I did not kill Roy."

"I'm not accusing you."  Edwards answered, "I am just asking you some questions.  It is an investigation."

"Yes, I understand that." Andy said and looked closely at the detective in an attempt to read his expressions.  The man had a total poker face.  Andy could not interpret a thing.

The detective opened a file and Andy watched anxiously.  There was a moment of silence while Edwards read.

"It says here that you punched a hole in the wall in the office."  Edwards said. "You learn how to control that?"

"Yes, I did.  That is why I went to the A.M. class."  Andy said stiffly, "I didn't even know Roy."

"According to some people who knew him at Poor Richard's Bar, you drank there the same time as him?" Edwards said.

Andy felt a small bead of sweat fall down his neck.  He thrust his jaw out and took a breath.  His hand balled into a fist and pressed into the table. He straightened his tie with the other.

"We didn't drink together." Andy replied. "We just drank in the same bar." 

"According to one source, you and he had some words one night over a woman?" Edwards asked.

"That Tease was bouncing back and forth between us one night getting both of us to buy her drinks!"  Andy defended himself, "We were drunk, a few words were exchanged, but no fight."

"Still sounds like you knew him better than just in name." Edwards said calmly.

Andy sat still for a moment and gathered his thoughts.  He suddenly smiled and straightened up.  He looked at the Detective Edwards.

"Well, maybe I did."  Andy said, "But I didn't kill him."

"Okay, I get that." Edwards said, "If I come across any more inconsistencies, I'm gonna want to talk to you again."

"I understand." Andy said quietly.

"When did you last see him?"  Edwards asked.

"I saw him at the bar one night, but I haven't seen him in the office since before I went to the Anger Management classes."  Andy said and looked down.  Detective Edwards jotted something on the notepad and excused him.

 

 

Dwight

 

Detective took in the young man sitting across from him.  He looked at the nerdy glasses and get-up.  He had heard stories about Dwight from someone who had known him at the volunteer Sheriff's department.  He knew that this guy could be a real flake.  He was counting on Dwight's naiveté to get some answers.

"So Dwight, I understand you were once one of us?"  Edward said cordially.

Dwight smiled and sat back.  He appreciated the way the detective was showing him the respect he deserved for so many years as a volunteer.

"Yes, I felt I'd learned a lot during my long servitude with the organization."  Dwight said.

"Why did you quit?" Edwards asked.

The smile on Dwight's face faded and he looked at his hands.  "I just decided it was interfering in other things in my life."  He said quietly, "Also, I took over some of the security duties in our building."

"How come there are no security cameras in the building?"  Edwards asked. "That sure would have helped us in our investigation."

"I most wholeheartedly agree with you on that aspect."  Dwight said, sitting up and meeting the detective's eyes.  "I brought that safety discrepancy to their attention.  As well as the need for more safety cones.  They would not even allow me to bring a fire arm into the building for safety!" Dwight said.

"But you were armed with some security supplies on the day that Roy was maced?"  Edwards asked.

"Well...yes." Dwight said defensively, "And, had I not been armed, then Roy would have committed an act of violence on company property."

"I understand, Dwight."  Edwards said, "I agree."

"You have to be prepared for things like this." Dwight said sternly, "I make it a goal to always be prepared for situations that may come up.  It's the Shrute way."

"That's good."  Edwards answered, "Did you feel very prepared when you found the body this morning?"

"Uh...Yes, of course."  Dwight said quickly, "At 07:45, I was entering the office on my normal schedule.  I like to come in early and prepare for my day.  I could detect a foul odor and investigated the break room, where I came upon the body of Roy Anderson.  I immediately notified the authorities at 911, and exited the premises."

"You vomited in the garbage can located in the break room." Edwards said.

"Uh, yes, I think that the Egg McMuffin I ate for breakfast was not properly prepared."  Dwight replied.  His face was tinged pink with embarrassment."

"Don't worry Dwight, we've all have been there."  Edwards said.  "Because you are the first person to find the body, I'm going to ask you some questions.  But this is a formality.  Please don't read into them.  Where were you about 10:00pm last night?"

"I was asleep."  Dwight said, "I retired early for bed."

"Well, I guess we have to take your word for it."  Edwards said, writing on the notepad.

"Well, I wasn't alone."  Dwight said hesitantly.

Edwards looked up, "You weren't alone? Who was with you?"

"I would rather not say."  Dwight said and stiffened.

"Now Dwight, you know that just isn't going to work." Edwards said, curious of who would have sex with Dwight Shrute. "I can promise discretion of her...or his name."

"It isn't a man!"  Dwight said indignantly to Edwards, "Her name is Angela Martin."

"The pretty blonde accountant?"  Edwards said, actually impressed.

"Yes, and I would appreciate you not tell everyone."  Dwight said, "We like to keep business and personal separate."

"Does she sleep over often?" Edwards asked.

"Once in a while."  Dwight answered.

"When did you last see Roy Anderson alive?" Edwards asked.

"I saw him the day he picked up his last paycheck."  Dwight remembered, "I was on alert in case he decided to make any more violent overtures to Jim or the other staff."

"Do you understand why Jim and Roy didn't get along?" Edwards asked.

"Actually, that has always been a mystery to me."  Dwight looked perplexed and said, "I assumed it was over some kind of prank that Jim may have played on him or something.  Jim is known for his malfescence."

"You heard nothing about Jim and Pam?" Edwards inquired.

Dwight looked surprised, "No, but that might explain the inordinate amount of time they spend together. Are you thinking that Jim could have committed this crime?"

"You tell me?" Edwards asked.

Dwight thought for a few seconds.  This was a serious accusation.  He thought back to the thousands of jokes that Jim had played on him. He wondered to himself if Jim would really be capable of killing someone.

"I can honestly say that I don't think Jim could ever do what was done to Roy.  Not even over a woman."  Dwight said quite regretfully.

"Thanks Dwight."  Edwards said wrapping up their interview.

End Notes:
Reviews would be greatly appreciated.  I tend to write faster when motivated.
Chapter 8 - The Interrogations - Ryan and Kelly by Ellelque

Ryan

"Hello Ryan." Edwards said pleasantly. "I want to thank you for talking with us."

"No problem."  Ryan said, "I don't think I will be much help.  But I'll help where I can."

"Did you know the victim?"  Edwards asked.

"I knew him around the office."  Ryan said. "I usually make it a point to stay out of any personal issues around here, but you sort of get dragged in.  He was with Pam for a while, they broke up.  I know they were seeing each other again. I saw him sort of destroy a bar one night."

"Destroy a bar?" Edwards inquired.

"We all went out to Poor Richard's after work one night."  Ryan replied. "It seemed to go okay, and then, near the end of the evening, he was sitting at the bar with Pam.  Next thing I know Roy smashed a mirror with his glass. He and his brother started throwing furniture.  I don't know what happened after that because I got the hell out of there."

"Who else was still around at that time?" Edwards inquired.

"I know Kevin was sitting near him and Oscar was there."  Ryan said.  Edwards jotted down his notes.

"Have you seen these outbursts from Roy anywhere else?"  Edwards asked.

"I was there the day that he went after Jim."  Ryan said.

"I heard about that." Edwards remarked, "How did Jim take it?"

"It scared the shit out of him!" Ryan said, "I know it did me.  He's a big man. I mean was a big man."

"They make amends? Jim and Roy?" Edwards asked, "Did Roy and him talk afterwards."

"Roy kinda said he was sorry when he came to get his last paycheck." Ryan informed him.

"How did Jim take it?"  Edwards inquired.

"Jim's a stand up kinda guy."  Ryan said.  "He seemed to understand."

"Did you know what this whole mess was about?"  Edwards asked.

"Well, rumor is that Jim kissed Pam sometime back and Roy found out about it." Ryan alleged.

"Isn't Jim dating someone else now?" Edwards solicited.

"Yeah, he's seeing Karen, but I don't know how serious it is?" Ryan said adding, "I had been thinking of making a move on her myself.

"Do you know anyone who would want to harm Roy?"  Edwards inquired.

Ryan thought about it. "I heard that he was heavily into gambling.  It may have something to do with it."

"Gambling?"  Edwards said surprised.  He wrote something on a spare piece of paper.  He gave it to an officer and the officer left.  "Was there any gambling in the office?"

"Sure, we gamble on just about everything."  Ryan said, "It gets boring here."

"There is no one in the office you could suspect of hurting Roy?" Edwards questioned further.

"Well, if you had seen the way Roy went off on Pam, you might have thought her."  Ryan said, "He was brutal.  I don't know really how their relationship was outside of the office?  But I mean look at her.  She doesn't look like a killer!"

"Sometimes they never do."  Edwards said quietly, "I'm asking everyone.  Where were you last night?"

"Me?" Ryan's blue eyes bugged out and he gulped. "I was home, working on some research for school."

"School?"  Edwards asked.

"I'm about to finish my MBA." Ryan said proudly.

Edwards finished writing down some items, thanked and excused Ryan.

 

Kelly

Kelly was a mess.  Her make-up was running down her cheeks. She was looking at the burly cop guarding the door with suspicious eyes.

"I am just so scared.  There is a killer running around here and offing people with scissors!"  Kelly whined.  "What can I tell you?  I don't know anything!"

"Oh, I am sure you can be helpful in some way Ms. Kapoor." Soothed Detective Edwards.  "You never know when you may have some kind of information that can be helpful."

Kelly calmed slightly.  She smiled at the attractive detective.  He was very tall and she liked the tie he wore.

"Ms. Kapoor, did you know anyone who would harm Roy?" Edwards asked.

"No one at all!" Kelly insisted. "He was a nice guy.  Except when he was mad.  Then he was kind of like a monster.  Did you know about his destroying Poor Richards one night?  But he was cool the rest of the time.  You know Pam never really appreciated him.  I mean I used to think she had a huge crush on Jim, and he is totally not into her. Though, Roy must have thought something because of his attacking Jim.  I think Jim did like Pam once, but that was before Stamford.  Jim's dating Karen and they make the cutest couple.  Wouldn't it be great if they got married?  Karen would make the most gorgeous bride. I saw that you had Ryan in here before me.  We're dating.  Did he say anything about me?"

"I...No?"  Edwards barely said and was about to talk again when Kelly interrupted.

"I was so shocked about today.  I mean I came in and saw the police and my first thought was Oh No, someone had to of gotten killed for there to be this many cops here!  Then it was actually true.  I called my parents and they are afraid for me and want me to come live with them because they are sort of traditional.  They would so use this to try to make me move home.  They don't really approve of Ryan.  They say he has no ambition.  You know, first I thought that Jim killed Roy, cause of that whole Pam and pepper spraying thing, but then I thought Why would he kill Roy, he has Karen?"

Detective Edwards sat there with his mouth agape, just watching Kelly talk.

"Anyway, I thought about everyone in the office. I know that Meredith and Roy both drink at Poor Richards and they have known each other for years.  Kevin has been doing some gambling with Roy.  I heard through a mutual friend who drinks with Roy that Kevin is into him for almost $10,000! Boy, the shoes I could buy with that kind of money! Pam could have been a woman scorned.  Although she did dump him, I think."

Edwards continued to write as she talked.

"Angela, well she is just so stuffy. It would have been too messy for her.  But, I heard Roy say her name during a game of Who'd you do one time.  But he was totally in love with Pam.  I know Darryl works with Roy and I think that Roy had been upset that Darryl got a promotion over him in the branch merge.  Maybe they had bad blood."

"Uh Huh?"  Edwards had a hard time keeping track of everything she was saying and he wrote as quick as he could.

"Oscar is gay, and I just don't think Roy swung that way. Toby is too wimpy to kill a cockroach, much more a person.  Toby makes puppy eyes at Pam sometimes.  Jeez, seems like everything revolves around Pam doesn't it?  It's not even like she tries to be that pretty and stuff.  She could totally use a new hairdresser and maybe some fashion advice.  I wondered about Michael because he is just so weird at times. Dwight did pepper spray him in front of the entire office."

"Yes."  Edwards rested his hand for a minute.

"Andy did punch a hole in the wall and he is just crazy, so he's a good bet.  Though, he is more of a shoot-up-the-whole-office type.  Like those angry postmen.  Creed is kinda mysterious and he steals all the time.  One time, I caught him taking someone's lunch out of the fridge.   Phyllis is happily married.  A newlywed woman is not a murderer!"

Edwards shook his head slowly.  His head was starting to hurt.

"Stanley's too lazy to kill anyone.  Me, oh I couldn't kill anyone, I'm just too nice.  Unless you break my heart, then I can just get so vengeful female on you.  Besides I was at my friend Jessie's house late last night getting a manicure.  I picked this great shade of mango.  Don't you just love it!  Ryan, well Ryan's just too cute to be a murderer."  Kelly stopped talking and smiled brightly at the detective.

"Thank you Ms Kapoor." Dazed and exhausted, Edwards said politely, "You can go now."

Chapter 9 -The Interrogations - Phyllis and Kevin by Ellelque
Phyllis

Phyllis sat down and gave Detective Edwards a shy smile.  She looked around the room and held her hands timidly in her lap.

"This is just like on television."  Phyllis said sweetly, "Like Law & Order."

"Yes, I guess it is, just not as interesting."  Edwards replied pleasantly. "Can you think of anyone who would want to harm Roy?"

"I really hate this."  Phyllis said, and she looked down sadly.

"I'm sorry to ask these questions."  Edwards said seriously, "But, a man was killed and if you name anyone and they are innocent, then it will be okay.  We'll make sure to clear them.  But we have to find who is did this.  For yours and everyone safety."

"I know."  She said. "I know that last year Jim really had deep feelings for Pam.  I mean when she came into the room he just lit up.  But she was with Roy and he can be very...neglectful.  When Jim came back, I knew that Pam was single and I had hoped they would finally get together.  But he had Karen and I guess I could understand."

"Did Roy see all this...chemistry?" Edwards asked.

"I don't think he was smart enough to." Phyllis said, "I hate to speak ill of the dead.  But Roy was not that bright.  I was happy for Jim to have found Karen.  But I think Pam had been hoping for more when he came back.  They've not been as close this year, like they were last year.  Pam made the mistake of telling Roy that Jim had kissed her before their wedding.  That was right before he tried to attack him."

"Were you present during that incident?"  Edwards inquired.

"Oh yes, that was terrible!"  She said in horror, "It got in Jim, Pam and Dwight's eyes too."

Phyllis added, "It was sad that Roy let that happen in the office and lost his job."  Phyllis said, "But you just can't bring that kind of violence into the office.  I think he would have killed Jim.  He was that angry."

"Jim took it okay?"  Edwards asked.

Phyllis smiled and said. "Yes, Jim was very understanding once it was over.  He was with Karen and he knew that he had probably done something wrong kissing an engaged woman."

"He's the only one that Roy had problems with?" Edwards asked.

"Oh, I don't know."  Phyllis replied. "He could be very dominating.  I saw him arguing with Darryl in the parking lot one time."

"You didn't hear anything during the argument?"  Edwards asked.

"No, I could only see them gesturing." Phyllis answered.

"How is Pam taking this?"  Edwards asked, remembering that he saw Phyllis comforting Pam.

"She's just devastated!"  Phyllis said, "She had been with Roy for a long time and she did want to marry him once.  I know that she has always been closer to Jim.  But she never cheated on Roy, even if he was no good for her."

"He wasn't good for her."  Edwards asked.

"He took her for granted." Phyllis said. "She wasn't happy with him.  I was very glad when she stopped the wedding.  I think he used to...control her.  Pam is a nice girl, and she is far better off with Jim."

"But he's with Karen?"  Edwards inquired.

"Well, I don't know how long that's going to last."  Phyllis said, "Karen is a good person and I consider her a friend.  But Jim doesn't glow around her the way he did around Pam."  Phyllis gave a wistful smile.  "I know that now.  Only Jim could really comfort Pam through this whole mess.  I have a feeling that in the end, he'll choose Pam."

"Would that have been a problem with Roy around?"  Edwards asked.

"Not after he was fired."  She answered and frowned, "But, I think Jim is going to be in a tight spot after it's over with Karen."

"Well Phyllis, thank you for answering my questions.  If you think of anything else, please feel free to call me."  Edwards concluded.

Phyllis gave a small smile and left.

 

Kevin

Kevin was flushed and sweating when he was brought into the room.  His bald head was bright pink and his shirt was rumpled.

"Thanks Kevin for meeting with me."  Edwards.

"No problem." Kevin said.

"Did you know Roy well?" Edwards asked. A police officer came in and gave the detective a manila folder.

"Oh, we were friends and I saw him at Poor Richards some times."  Kevin said.

"You drink together?"  Edwards inquired and he looked into the folder.  Kevin watched him closely.

"Sometimes, but not much."  Kevin said.

"Did you see Roy get violent in the bar one night?" Edwards asked.

"Yes, it was very scary." Kevin answered, "I got out of his way.  His brother Kenny almost beamed me with a bar stool."

"Did you know what it was over?"  Edwards asked.

"I didn't know, he and Pam were talking real close, next thing I know bar glasses are flying."  Kevin answered, "Like I said, I left."

"Would you know anyone who would gain by his death or want to harm him?"  Edwards asked.

Kevin was quiet for a second, "No."

"No one, is that right Kevin?" Edwards continued.

"Not...that I know of."  Kevin said.  He had a small bead of sweat fall off his ear.

"Kevin, do you gamble?"  Edwards solicited calmly.  Kevin reddened further and he twisted a piece of his tie in his hand.

"Yes, I gamble sometimes?" Kevin said, "What does that have to do with Roy?"

"Well, according to your bank records, you have been paying Roy about $100 a paycheck."  Edwards stated, "Why would you be doing this Kevin?"

Kevin looked down and he started to cry. "I didn't kill him.  I owed him some money.  But, I was paying him off."

"Almost $10,000?"  Edwards asked, "That is a lot of paychecks."

"I thought I had a sure thing."  Kevin stammered, "I tell you, I didn't kill him!"

"I'm not saying you did."  Edwards said and he laid the file down in front of Kevin. "But you did have a motive to.  Where were you last night?"

"I was at Poor Richards, so was Meredith!"  Kevin sobbed, "She saw me."

"What time did you leave?" Edwards asked.

"About 9:00." Kevin said, "I didn't drink and drive. I only had one beer and I knew I had to work, so I went home."

"Roy was killed about 10:00pm."  Edwards said, "That was time enough to have done it."

"Oh God!"  Kevin cried, he put his hands over his eyes and shook. "I didn't do it!  I'll take a lie detector test!  Please don't arrest me!"

"Settle down Kevin."  Edwards said sharply, "We aren't arresting you.  But I have questions.  Did anyone else own him money?" 

"I don't think so."  Kevin whimpered.

"What happens to your debt, now that Roy is dead?" Edwards asked.

"I don't know!"  Kevin sniveled.

"Okay Kevin, I don't want you to talk about what we talked in here." Edwards said unruffled. "If anyone asks why you're upset, just tell them you are upset about Roy's death."

"Okay!"  Kevin sobbed.  He got up to leave the room quickly.

"Kevin, I may talk to you again."  Edwards said to Kevin's back.  He shook his head quickly and left the room.

Chapter 10 - The Interrogations - Oscar and Angela by Ellelque
Oscar

Sitting in the chair, Oscar smiled at the big, burly officer standing guard at the door.  Oscar knew him and had seen him at a few of the gay bars that he went to with Gil.  He realized to himself that he was the only person in the area that knew this man was gay.  The guarding officer looked very uncomfortable at Oscar's presence.  Oscar gave a slight nod, acknowledging the guy's secret.  The man huge shoulder appeared to relax in relief.

"Oscar Nunez?" Detective Edwards inquired from across the table.

"Yes, that's me."  Oscar said, "How can I be of help."

"Great, well, let's just get to it." Edwards began.  "You know anyone who would want to hurt Roy Anderson?"

"I have been going over this in my head and it is not that easy."  Oscar said.  "I guess the first thought would be Jim Halpert, because they both had issues about Pam.  But Jim is not the sort of person to hurt anyone."

"Even in a crime of passion?"  Edwards asked, "Over a woman?"

"No, Pam ended that wedding in time." Oscar said, "Roy wasn't exactly faithful anyway."

"He wasn't." Edwards asked.

"I saw him out one night with a little redhead."  Oscar said.  "His brother Kenny was there and you'd think at first that she was with him.  But she was hanging all over Roy.  I think she used to date Jim.  She sold purses here in the office once.  This was a summer ago, and I know Roy was still engaged to Pam.  That's why I remembered it and thinking he was kind of a scum.  I never said anything, because it wasn't my place.  Pam would have been in denial about it anyway.  She did eventually break up with him, so I considered it a dead issue.  No pun intended."

Edwards wrote this down. "So this Purse girl dated Jim once?"

"Oh, it isn't like you think."  Oscar added, "I think her name was Katie.  Jim eventually broke it off with her.  He was very into Pam, but then he met Karen."

"Did you know Roy very well?"  Edwards asked.

"Only what I saw from afar."  Oscar said, "He may have attempted a friendship if he was in the office, not the warehouse.  But trust me, this year he wouldn't have come near me."

"Why?"  Edwards inquired.

Oscar smiled tightly and glanced over at the guard, who was looking elsewhere. "Well, I came out this year.  Roy was a good old boy and having a gay friend would not have been in his best interest socially.  I did drink with them one night, when the whole office went.  But we didn't really spend any time alone."

"I heard that he got rather violent at the bar?"  Edwards asked.

"Yes, scared the shit out of me and Kevin!"  Oscar said, "For minute, I thought he would hit Pam, then, I would have got involved.  But he only took it out on the furniture.  Pam told him it was over and left."

"That would be understandable."  Edwards said, "Was Roy Homophobic?"

"No, I mean, he wasn't out gay bashing for fun."  Oscar said, "He was more the type that would worry everyone would think he was gay if he had a gay friend."

"Was he racist?" Edwards asked.

"I don't really think so."  Oscar said, "He worked in the warehouse and there is a minorities there that were real tight with him.  He and Darryl are close, but Roy did complain when Darryl got a promotion over him.  I don't know if he felt it was minority related, but he did think he lost out on a higher position because of Darryl."

"Who was the boss before Darryl?"  Edwards asked.

"Darryl was the boss before, but then we had the merge with Stamford.  Roy felt that Darryl couldn't handle the whole load.  He asked for a bump up and to be assigned as a co-manager.  Darryl would have lost a big raise if he was partnered.  He complained and got the whole enchilada.  Roy didn't get a promotion.  But they still hung out, so Roy must have gotten over it."

"I have to ask, where were you last night?"  Edwards asked.

"I was snuggled up to my lover, Gil from 09:30 until this morning." Oscar said and winked up at the guard when Edwards quickly looked at his paper pad.

"Okay, see me if you have any more info."  Edwards said and gave a tight grin as Oscar left.

 

Angela

Detective Edwards had been curious to meet the woman who would have sex with Dwight Schrute, but he was not prepared for what came in the room.  Angela was very pale and her hair was tightly pulled back in a chignon.  She wore a cardigan with kittens embroidered on it and an uncomfortable frown on her face.

She sat straight down and crossed her arms over her chest.  She glowered in his direction.

"Can I help you?"  She asked firmly and sounded as if this was the last thing she felt like doing.

"Ms. Martin...I" Edwards began.

"That is Miss Martin."  She interrupted him, "I'm not one of those women's libbers who insist on giving up their femininity.  And I do not appreciate being fingerprinted like a common criminal."

"Oh, of course Miss Martin.  I'm sorry for the finger printing, but it's just protocol."  Edwards corrected himself.  He could tell this was a woman who was tough to crack.  He almost felt sorry for Dwight having to sleep with the cold woman. "Did you know Roy Anderson?"

"Of course, I did his payroll."  She said curtly, "Do you want to know his tax information?"

"Not at this moment?"  Edwards said. "But did you socialize with him, or did anyone else?"

"No, I did not, but he was engaged to Pam."  Angela said, "From what I saw, he was very much a gentleman. I never saw anything untoward with him and I watch things around me very close."

"Really?"  Edwards said surprised to find someone use this description of Roy. "You didn't think he was domineering?"

"I don't know.  I didn't watch him that close." Angela said, "He was an engaged man.  I didn't look at him like that, but I saw he cared for Pam.  He always picked her up from her desk.  He ate lunch with her.  She seemed very happy until she viciously dumped him.  From what I heard he took it very hard.  But, then again, I guess he was asking for it, loving such a trashy woman."

"I take it you don't like Pam Beesly?"  Edwards asked.

"She's okay, if you like the flashy type."  Angela said stiffly, "I have made attempts to get to know her, but she is just too loud and obnoxious at times.  I think she spends far too much time chasing after Jim for proprieties sake.  He has a girlfriend now, and I think it is just morally wrong."

"Do you know anyone who would want to hurt Roy?"  Edwards asked, wishing to get this interview over fast.

"Not that I'm aware of." Angela said.  She raised one eyebrow in a stern expression. "I would like to think I am not around that element."

"But Roy was not that element?" Edwards continued.

"I imagine if he was provoked!"  Angela answered.

"Like the time he attacked Jim?"  Edwards asked. "When Dwight maced him?"  Angela gave a small smile at that memory.

"I heard from someone that Jim had kissed Pam before her wedding, and that is not acceptable."  Angela said sharply.

"That's understandable."  Edwards said and then changed the subject. "I'm asking everyone, so please don't be alarmed.  Where were you last night at around 10:00pm?"

Angela flushed slightly and screwed her mouth in a tight line.  She glowered over at the large officer at the door.  Then relented, "I was staying at a friend's house"

"Friend?"  Edwards asked, starting to enjoy her discomfort.

"Yes, I have a male companion that I see on a regular basis."  Angela said and didn't look at him.

"Can I have his name?"  Edwards provoked.

"Why is that important?"  She asked irked at his personal inquisition.

"Because if you were with someone from the office, it gives you both an alibi?" Edwards offered.

"I do not need an alibi for something so horrible!"  She snapped fiercely.

"I already had your name come up and I need confirmation."  Edwards gave in.

"Damn you, Dwight!" She said faintly under her breath.

"Are you seeing Dwight Schrute?" Edwards asked.

"Yes, are you happy?"  She glared at him, "Do you want to know my bra size now?"

"Nope, but I need the clarification."  Edwards said, "I am sorry, but this investigation is a very serious issue, and some people are going to be made uncomfortable. A man was murdered here."

"Of course."  Angela said and her voice softened slightly, "I am sorry to be so difficult.  It has been a difficult day.  This kind of thing just doesn't happen to normal people."

"I wish it were so Miss Martin."  Detective Edwards said lightly.  He gave her an understanding smile.  She cocked her head and looked closely at him.  He was a nice looking man.  He seemed to be tired.

"You really ought to take a break Detective."  She said, "I imagine this is very hard work."

"Yes, it is."  Edwards said, surprised at her concern.  "Don't be too hard on Dwight.  We sort of dragged it out of him."

Angela gave a slight smile and shook her head.  "Dwight is a very righteous man.  He would always do the right thing."

She got up and left the room a little less stiffly than she arrived.

End Notes:
Beer me a review please.
Chapter 11 - The Interrogations - Stanley, Meredith, Creed, Darryl and Karen by Ellelque
 

Stanley

"Hello Stanley, thank you for talking to me." Edwards said

"Well, I didn't have much of a choice."  Stanley drawled.

"Yes, well Roy Anderson ran out of choices too."  Edwards said

"Point taken." Stanley replied.

"Did you know Roy very well?"  Edwards asked.

"Not very well at all." Stanley answered.  He looked away from the detective for a moment.

"Can you think of anyone who would do this?" Edwards inquired.

"I wish I could tell you, but I don't know anyone who would do this." Stanley said and looked away again.

"Did you see when Roy attacked Jim?" Edwards asked.

"No, I was in the bathroom."  Stanley said avoiding eye contact with Edwards.

"Stanley, is there something you are not telling me?" Edwards said and looked directly into Stanley's eyes.  Stanley could not break the stare.

"I really do wish to stay out of this."  Stanley said matter-of-factly.

"You work here, you're involved."  Edwards replied.

"I just come to the job, and do it, and then I go home."  Stanley, "I try not to be part of the goings on."

"Stanley, I really need your help."  Edwards encouraged. "I need to find if someone you work with could have done this.  Anything you say might help."

After a long pause, Stanley said quietly, "I did see something."

"Yes?"  Edwards solicited.

"My wife and I were leaving Chili's one night and I saw Roy sitting in the parking lot in his truck.  I thought he was alone."  Stanley said.

"And?"  Edwards nudged.

"He wasn't alone.  His head was back and he appeared to be feeling rather good judging from the smile on his face. Then a head popped up out of his lap.  It wasn't Pam."  Stanley said.

"How did you know it wasn't her?" Edwards asked.

"Well the other person was wearing a knitted hat.  It was January and everyone was wearing coats for winter.  I couldn't even tell if it was a man or a woman.  It kind of repulsed me."  Stanley said.

"How do you know it wasn't Pam?"  Edwards asked again, writing it down.

"Pam had been out of town for 2 days at her parents.  Her mother was sick."  Stanley said. "Phyllis told me that it was serious and Pam wouldn't be back for 2 more days.  I know her parents live out of town. The boy was stepping out on his fiancée with someone."

"Thanks Stanley." Edwards said and he sent him out.

 

Meredith

It took Edwards only a few seconds of looking at Meredith to realize that she was stinking drunk.  She slouched in the chair.  He face was moist with perspiration and she smelled like gin.

"Meredith, have you been drinking?" Edwards asked.

"What else is there to do out there?"  Meredith slurred.

"You upset about Roy?"  Edwards said sympathetically.

"Yeah, that too."  Meredith said.  She tried to sit up and concentrate.

"It is very important that you focus on what I am asking you."  Edwards said and he leaned over and looked closely at her.  Her lipstick was smudged slightly.

"I didn't kill him."  She replied. "I still have my scissors."

"I heard you and Roy drank together sometimes?"  Edwards began.

"Yes, he was a great guy." Meredith said and she sniffed a little. "I'll have to have a drink in his honor."

"Did he hang out at Poor Richards a lot?"  Edwards asked.

"At times, you know we do have other bars here in Scranton." Meredith replied.  She proceeded to list off all the bars in Lackawanna County.

"Yes, I know." Edwards interrupted.  "Do you know if Roy was seeing anyone other than Pam, while they were engaged?"

"Oh, Roy Boy got around." Meredith snickered and gave another sniff. "Not that I ever slept with him.  I didn't.  I wouldn't do that to Pam."

"Did you know anyone else he saw?" Edwards asked.

"That is the weird part."  Meredith said and looked perplexed.  "He was engaged, but he cheated on Pam the whole time.  Never saw who, just knew he would make comments about this gal that blew his mind in bed. He indicated it wasn't Pam.  In fact, he called her the Un-Pam."

"Really?" Edwards inquired.

"When they were engaged, I asked him one time how he could cheat on Pam." Meredith said.  "He said that she understood and that until he actually married her, we were all game. I wanted to tell Pam.  But I didn't want to break her heart."  Meredith started crying.

"Meredith, I'm going to have an officer drive you home."  He said softly, "If you remember anything when you sober up, call me."  He gave her his card.

"You single?"  Meredith leered at him.

"Uh...yes."  Edwards said hesitantly.

"I just might call you."  She smile wickedly and was escorted out.

 

Creed

"Creed, I see you have a very long rap sheet?" Edwards inquired.

"Yes, yes I do."  Creed said and smiled brightly. 

"Nothing major though, just petty thefts, loitering and some demonstrations in the 1960's."  Edwards read and then his eyebrows rose slightly.  "And, I don't know how to tell you this, but according to our records, you died in 1993?"

"Yes, yes I did."  Creed continued to smile and said nothing else in reply.

Shaking off the weirdness of this creepy little man, Edwards continued. "Okay, I'm gonna place that aside, for now.  Did you know Mr. Anderson?"

"Troy was a very large man with a small penis."  Creed said, "I saw it once in the bathroom.  It was freakishly small.  I imagined that his death was a suicide?"

"Uh...No I mean ROY Anderson?"  Edwards said and he flushed slightly, put off by Creed, but strangely drawn into the conversation. "It was a homicide."

"Oh, how interesting. I thought his name was Troy."  Creed said and smiled his little smile.

"Do you make a habit out of looking at other men's penises in the bathroom?"  Edwards asked slowly.  His face had a slight disgusted look on it.

"I find it is always good to keep up on the competition."  Creed said simply.

Oddly, that made sense to Detective Edwards.  He looked at his records on Creed and glanced back.  Creed had the same blank smile.

"Do you know anyone who would want to harm Roy?"  Edwards asked.

"Lots of people."  Creed said.  "He was an asshole."

"Really?"  Edwards encouraged.

"Yes, I can't think of any other word to describe him."  Creed said, adding, "He was an asshole with a small penis.  You sure it wasn't suicide?"

"No Creed, it wasn't." Edwards replied. "He had a pair of scissors in his throat."

"Cool!"  Creed said and he grinned brighter.  Edwards frowned and continued on, in spite of any misgivings.

"Do you think there was anyone here who would want to harm Roy?"  Edwards asked.

"Well, Jim could have done it.  The receptionist, who smells really nice, was supposed to marry him."  Creed said, "She might have found out that he was cheating on her with someone else."

"Do you know who he was seeing?"  Edwards asked.

"I never saw her face, but she really knew how to talk dirty." Creed said. "They went at it in the warehouse one night.  It wasn't the receptionist's voice.  But man, was the other one entertaining."

"In the warehouse at night?" Edwards asked, "When was this?"

"It was after Phyllis's wedding, because I had a leftover wedding cake I had snagged from the top tier.  It was very good and I was eating some when I heard the noise in the warehouse."

"You didn't see who she was?" Edwards asked, "Wait, isn't the top of the cake commonly kept by the bride and groom to freeze and eat on their anniversary?"

"Oops."  Creed smiled, "Strange that you remember that."

"Uh...my sister got married recently and I just remembered it." Edwards said.

"Well, Mazal Tov Captain!"  Creed said brightly.

"It's detective. Can you think of anyone else who would kill Roy?" Edwards said, attempting to get back on topic.

"No one, everyone, Sergeant." Creed said, "Karma has a way of kicking one's ass.  He was not a nice man, and Karma was obviously a pair of scissors."

"Where were you last night Creed?" Edwards asked, wanting to just end the interview.

"Oh, it was Thursday night."  Creed brightened even more, "I do a little karaoke, then, I stayed over a lady friend's house.  So, you see Roy's problems have nothing to do with me.  I can wholeheartedly tell you, I did not kill that man."

Edwards mouth was a little open in puzzlement, did he mean he had a large penis or that he didn't have scissors in his neck. And, was Creed saying he killed another man?  He shook his head.

"What's her name?" Edwards asked. "Your lady friend?  We have to check alibis."

"Oh, her name is Katie and she sales purses."  Creed said, "But please be discreet."

"Thank you Creed, you can go."  Edwards said.

"It's always nice to chat with The Man."  Creed said smiling and left.

 

Darryl

Edwards looked at the man sitting across from him and could see his misery.  Darryl was slumped forward and he was grief-stricken.

"Darryl, I know you're upset."  Edwards said sympathetically, "I know Roy was a friend of yours."

"Yes, he was a really cool dude."  Darryl said.  "He didn't deserve to go out this way."

"No one does."  Edwards said, "Did you know him long?"

"I was here when he was hired?" Darryl said.

"Did you know him when he was engaged to Pam?"  Edwards asked.

"He was with Pam most of the time I knew him."  Darryl said, "They only broke up for a while, then they tried to get back together.  Just didn't work out man."

"Do you know if he was seeing someone else?" Edwards asked.

"Dude, that's kind of personal.  But I get your reason." Darryl said, "Roy was macking on some other chick.  But he'd never let up on who she was. Like it was some kind of top secret."

"No clues to who it was?"  Edwards asked.

"All I know is that it wasn't any chick here."  Darryl said, "I know there ain't no woman here that would do the things that he described!  Some kinky ass shit!  Pam would have caught on.  I hoped that he would end that shit if they got married.  But, you know she wasn't all that innocent.  She was all up on Jim.  Roy never seemed to notice.  I figured that they had some kind of agreement or something."

"Can you think of anyone who would want to hurt Roy?"  Edwards asked.

"I couldn't say."  Darryl replied, "Guy was always pissing someone off here and there.  He hung out at Poor Richards and he's had his share of fights.  He and I got along, and he was a hard worker.  That's all I knew?"

"I heard that he was upset with you about a possible promotion he missed out on."  Edwards said.

"Shit!"  Darryl exclaimed, "I knew that would be brought up by someone!  I had a chance at a significant pay raise and bonus with the merge.  Roy thought I took something from him when I resisted the co-manager idea.  He thought they were actually going to go for it.  But I took the blame.  They thought he was too hot headed to manage anything.  So they just bumped up my position.  I told him it was my idea and that I wanted the whole thing because I didn't want to have to tell him it was his fault.  That they thought he wasn't good enough to take on the responsibility.  Then he starts talking shit about them not doing it because they want a minority in the role.  So I told him off!"

"So he would have never got the job.  Even, if you had not been around?"  Edwards asked and wrote on the paper.

"Yes, I felt bad and all."  Darryl said, "I really cared for my people.  Roy mostly cared for himself.  He wasn't management material.  But he was my friend and I felt bad about that."

"It must have been hard to fire him?"  Edwards said.

"Yes, it was!  That fuckwad Michael was too chicken-shit to do it, so I had to."  Darryl said, "The ironic thing was that Michael was all about keeping him.  I was on board with that.  But corporate complained. So I had to let him go."

"Did Roy take it well?"  Edwards asked.

"Actually he took it pretty good."  Darryl said, "He knew it was written in the wall when he took that swing at Jim.  You just don't do that at work!  But he left and we were still friends.  I was looking to get a friend of mine at Vance Refrigeration to hire him."

"Darryl, do you think that Jim could have done this murder?"  Edwards said, "I usually don't name names on possible suspects.  But his name comes up a lot in this whole mess."

"No, Jim's cool."  Darryl said, "He wasn't about this kind of thing.  That man didn't do this."

"Not even for Pam?"  Edwards asked.

"Hey, look out there."  Darryl said pointing towards the door to the conference room. "Pam was always Jim's.  It was bound to happen anyway.  Roy knew that in the end.  He was alright with it last time we talked.  He was all about moving on."

"Thanks Darryl."  Edwards said and he excused him.

 

Karen

She sat there and fumed.  She was in here, and Jim was out there comforting the Pam, as if he were her boyfriend, not Karen's.  She couldn't even really show her anger out there because everyone would think she was a bitch.

"Karen?"  Detective Edwards interrupted her mental tirade. "Did you know Roy?"

"Uh...Yes, I knew him from around the office." Karen said stiffly.

"Can you think of anyone who would want to hurt him?" Edwards inquired.

"Besides my boyfriend?"  Karen said sarcastically. Her arms were crossed in a defensive gesture.

"Jim?" Edwards asked.

"Yes, he's my boyfriend.  But he's out there coddling poor, lost Pam."  Karen ranted.  "You know, this makes so much sense.  I liked Roy and thought he was really nice.  I really thought he was nice when I found out he and Pam had been engaged and gotten back together.  I would have liked anything, to keep her from my own guy, but that's over now.  I might as well give her his apartment key now."

"So, you think they'll get together, now that Roy is dead."  Edwards asked.

"Sure, nothing to stop them!  Surely not his lowly Stamford girlfriend!"  Karen raged, "God I was so stupid."

"So you think Jim might have done this?"  Edwards said.

Karen was shocked at his question.  She just now got his point.  She sat up straight and changed her attitude.  "Oh God, no, I'm sorry!  No, I don't think Jim did this!  It isn't like him!  He's not...violent.  It just seems rather convenient for them both now. That's all."

"I understand?"  Edwards said. "Was Jim with you last night?"

"No, he was being rather stand-offish."  She said, "He was angry because I made him come...up...here..."  She shut her mouth and looked a little panicky.

"You what?" Edwards became alert.  He noticed a wary look come in her eyes.

"Last night, I made Jim come up here and get a phone number I needed."  She relented, "I was on the phone with him for part of the time.  He has a key, and I needed the phone number to my sister's place in California.  He wasn't too happy about it."

"What time was this?"  Edwards said and wrote something on his pad.  Karen watched anxiously.

"About 10:00pm."  Karen said hesitantly, "I wanted him to come over.  But he said he was tired."

"So you're telling me that Jim Halpert was here in the office at 10:00pm alone?"  Edwards said in amazement. "He still has feelings for the dead man's girl?  He may get the girl and you still don't think he's capable of this!"

"I don't think I want to talk anymore."  Karen said shortly.

"I'll probably be talking to you again." Edwards said angrily, "So don't go too far."

Karen left the room hurriedly.  Edwards looked through the paper files and then up at the guarding officer.  The burly officer had brought in an evidence box.  It contained a clear evidence envelope with a pair of bloody scissors in it.  The scissors had Jim's name etch in them.

"Let's get to the two main people in this little scenario.  Send in Pam Beesly, and then I want to wrap up with Jim Halpert." Edwards said.  "And make sure Halpert doesn't leave the conference room while I talk to Pam."

The guard left to get Pam.

Chapter 12 - The Interrogations - Pam by Ellelque
Author's Notes:
I have to thank Lebow, Sweetcheeks and Barajam for all their support.
The pretty young woman in front of him was a mess.  Her light brown hair was pulled back and she was clutching a lace hanky to her red nose.  Pam's eyes were shiny and puffy from crying.  She seemed to have gotten herself under control.  Detective Edwards felt sympathy towards the young woman.

"Pam, I'm sorry for your loss."  He said gingerly. "I'm also sorry that I have to ask you these questions."

"You're just doing your job." She said, and sniffed. 

"Yes, I'll find out who did this."  Edwards said, "But, I hope you understand, I'm going to ask some difficult questions."

"I'm sure I can handle it."  Pam said and straightened her shoulders. "Just ask anything."

"Okay, to start with, did you know anyone who would harm Roy?"  Edwards said.

"Roy could be pretty...confrontational at times."  Pam said and grimaced.  "He has...had a temper.  I suppose he could anger someone.  But I can't think of anyone that works here."

"Didn't he go off on Jim Halpert the other day?"  Edwards asked.

Pam frowned and sighed, "That was entirely my fault.  I had gotten back with Roy after Phyllis's wedding.  We were at Poor Richards with the other employees.  We seemed to finally be bonding.  Last year, before my wedding, Jim kissed me and...I kissed him back.  Our kiss had been a secret I'd hid from Roy.  I had a lot of guilt about it.  I was trying to come clean and give us a fresh start.  I thought Roy had changed.  I thought he was more willing to grow with me.  But the minute I told him, he went off.  He just reverted back to his old ways.  He threw things and yelled.  I broke it off for good."

"But later, you made some kind of peace with him?" Edwards asked.

"After Roy was fired and came to pick up his paycheck, he asked to talk to me."  Pam said, "I guess we both needed some closure. I owed him that.  I met him at a diner after work and we talked.  It was nice.  I felt like he finally understood.  We parted on better terms than when we were dating."

"How did Jim take this whole thing?"  Edwards continued.

Pam looked at him for a second.  She sought how to phrase her answer. "Jim has been involved with Karen for a while.  He seemed to have lost interest in me.  I was so embarrassed when Roy went after him.  We haven't really had a chance to talk about it since."

"He seems very supportive now?"  Edwards pointed out.

"Yes, he is.  But he has always been a supportive person.  He's been there for all of us in one way or another."  Pam said and looked away, "Tomorrow, when he knows I'm okay, he'll go back to his girlfriend."

Edwards saw that when she said this, it was with a sad resignation.  She looked down at her hands. "I have never felt so lonely."

"Do you have romantic feelings for Halpert?"  Edwards asked gently.

Pam looked at him with a slight, Mona Lisa smile playing across her face.  She replied in a very faint voice, "I'm in love with him."

"Does he know?" Edwards asked.

"Probably not." Pam said, "But it wouldn't make a difference.  I blew my chance."

"That was when you and he kissed?"  Edwards asked.

Pam said softly, "He told me he loved me, and then he kissed me.  I was about to marry Roy.  I was stunned and confused.  I rejected him.  It was the stupidest mistake I'll have probably made my entire life.  But before I figured it out and stopped my wedding, he was gone to Stamford.  When he came back, he brought her.  I lost my place with him when I rejected him."

""Roy had no idea of the feelings you and Jim felt towards each other?"  Edwards inquired.

"Surprisingly, not." Pam said, "It's funny, but he just didn't see it.  Heck, I didn't see it until Jim kissed me.  He was my best friend. I really miss that."

"Pam, I've learned that Roy had...not been very faithful during your engagement."  Edwards said tentatively.  "Were you aware of that?"

Pam looked shock at first, shook her head and then gave a wry laugh. "They say that the significant other is the last to know.  I had no idea!"  She looked at the detective earnestly. "But am I surprised?  No, I'm not.  Roy always seemed to have something to do that I wasn't a part of.  That's one of the many reasons I called off the wedding, besides my feelings for Jim."

"Off the top of your head, can you think of anyone he would see romantically?"  Edwards asked.

"I have no idea."  Pam shook her head.  "I guess I didn't know him any better than he knew me."

"I'm asking everyone where they were last night."  Edwards said.

"Oh, of course.  I was at my art class."  Pam replied, "Part of my new life after I ended things with Roy was to take art classes and start to develop an actual social life.  I went out for coffee with three friends from class to talk Warhol, Van Gogh and Monet."

"I'll probably talk to Roy's family later."  Edwards said, "Is there anything I should know about them?"

"Roy's mom and step dad are going to be devastated."  Pam said quietly and a small tear leaked out. "He's really close with his brother Kenny.  He may know who Roy was seeing."

"Thanks," Edwards said, "I may need to question you in the future. Pam...I have to ask you one more question. I need you to answer it honestly.  Please don't be shocked by the question."

"Okay."  Pam said and she looked worried.

"Do you think that Jim Halpert could have killed Roy?"  Edwards asked.

Pam looked confused for a second and then did something entirely inappropriate.  Pam Beesly laughed out loud. "Oh my God, please tell me you're kidding!"

"I'm serious."  Edwards said.

"No, of course not!"  Pam said loudly and pleaded with the detective. "Jim would never, could never kill anyone.  I don't care how much you look.  You'll never find anything to make me believe it.  Jim is not a murderer.  I would swear on my life!"

"He was here last night at the time of the killing."  Edwards said, attempting to break her loyalty. "It was his scissors that were used in the murder."

Pam sat still and thought for a second.  Her face was intense in concentration, as if she was trying to piece a puzzle together.  She cleared her throat and met the detective's eyes.  "I can only say that someone is setting Jim up!  They knew our history and they're framing him.  I will not believe it!  I'm not going to participate in framing an innocent man!"

"I realize that your feelings could cloud your judgment."  Edwards said.

"Unless you have video footage of Jim actually killing Roy, you could not make me believe!"  Pam replied angrily, "And even then, I would wonder if there was a madman out there who just happens to look like Jim!  It has nothing to do with my feelings for Jim.  It has to do with my knowing him.  He would not do this!"  Pam felt an indignity and power she never knew she had.  Her mind raced with rage at someone hurting Jim.

"I hope for your sake that you're right."  Edwards said calmly, "I would hate to see that kind of conviction destroyed."

"And I hope...you put more thought into your investigation instead of hanging the first man you have in your sight."  Pam said just as calmly.  He face was flushed and her small hands were balled into fists.

She stood to leave and Edwards showed her out.  He looked out the door and saw Jim sitting across the room.  Jim watched as Pam came out of the room.  Phyllis walked up to lead her to the entrance.  Jim nodded at her and told her to go home.  He said he would call her later.  Pam turned to look at Edwards in the doorway.  Then, she walked over to Jim and stubbornly sat beside him.  Phyllis joined her.

Edwards went back into the room and sat down.

"Tell the chief I need a warrant for Halpert's residence and car.  I also need the lugs to his phone.  Then get Jim Halpert in here and tell everyone else they can go home, that we'll be in touch."  He said firmly, "I think I'm ready to meet the saintly lover boy."

End Notes:

Thank you in advance if any reviews that are left.  I am really enjoying writing this story.

Chapter 13 - The Interrogations - Jim by Ellelque
 

Chapter 13 - The Interrogations - Jim

 

Throughout the past hours, Jim had watched closely as everyone left the interrogations.  Some people had come out of the room paler and more shaken than when they had entered.  A few had avoided Jim's eyes as they made their way out.  Karen's response after speaking with the cops had worried him the most.  She had gone in angry, but when she came out of the room she was ashen.  She gave him a look of sympathy and then left the room.  He didn't know how to approach her at this time.  He would meet up with her later.  They had to talk about some things and this was neither time nor place.

He saw Pam come out of the small room.  She was flushed and she had a sober, determined look on her face.  He noticed that everyone in the conference room was anxious to leave.  He wanted to get Pam out of this environment. She needed to be with her family. He had asked Phyllis to make sure to call Pam's parents and get her home safely.  But, Pam had come straight over to him and sat back down.

"Jim," Pam whispered quickly and she grasped his arm, "They're pointing the finger at you!"

Jim's eyebrows rose instantly and he looked at her. "Me?"

"Yes, they're saying that it was your scissors!"  Pam said under her breath. She watched the door to the private office.  The police officer guarding had left and the door was closed with Edwards inside.  Phyllis was listening to them with a look of shock on her face.  Pam continued, "They're also saying you were here last night!  Watch your back in there!"

"Holy shit!" Jim exclaimed in amazement.  He knew the only one who really knew the time he was at the office last night was Karen.  Well, that explained the look Karen gave him.

"You want us to call a lawyer? Your family?"  Phyllis asked quickly, joining the quiet and urgent conversation.  The officer returned and opened the door.  He looked over at Jim and signaled that he was next.

"Call my dad."  Jim said and handed Pam his cell phone.  "Tell him the situation and tell him to call a lawyer."  Jim stood and walked towards the interrogation room.  He glanced around quickly and gave Pam and Phyllis a small smile in thanks for their support.

Jim entered the room and sat in the chair opposite Detective Edwards.  The guard closed the door.  He stood on the side of the room with his arms crossed.  Jim gave him a sardonic look.  He was curious if this was going to be like the good cop/bad cop scenario he had seen on television.  The large guard didn't look like he spoke much.

"Jim Halpert?"  Edwards began.  He inspected the young man across from him.  He wondered what it was about this tall, unassuming man that had these women so loyal to him.

"Yes, what can I help you with?" Jim answered.  He leaned back in his chair and set a blank expression on his face.

"Mr. Halpert, did you know the victim in this crime?"  Edwards asked.

"Yes, I knew him."  Jim said, determined not to say anything extra in the interview.

"How did you feel about Roy Anderson?" Edwards asked.

"I thought he was an asshole."  Jim said plainly.

"Really, that's pretty honest of you?"  Edwards said, noticing that it was the second time that someone had used that word to describe Roy.

"I have no reason to be dishonest here, Detective."  Jim replied.

"Roy and you had a...disagreement, the other day?"  Edwards asked.

"Well, Roy wanted to bash my face in.  I disagreed with it.  If you call that a disagreement, then yes."  Jim stated, "Luckily it never reached that point because of Dwight's pepper spray skills."

"Did you speak to him afterwards?"  Edwards asked.

"He apologized when he picked up his paycheck.  I accepted."  Jim said.

"That was very noble of you."  Edwards continued.

"Well, I sort of deserved the face bash." Jim answered.

"Because of kissing Pam last year during their engagement?" Edwards offered.

"I see you know the whole story." Jim replied and nodded briefly, "But yes, from Roy's point of view, I had it coming."

"This all occurred because you had feelings for Pam?"  Edwards asked.

"Still do, but that's ancient history."  Jim answered and looked down at his hands for a second.

"How's that play with your girlfriend, Karen?"  Edwards asked.

Jim frowned up at him, "I really don't see what this has to do with the situation Detective?"

"Well, Jim, can I call you Jim?" Edwards asked.

"Sure, since you know me so well."  Jim answered sarcastically.

"Jim, your name has come up over and over again." Edwards said.

"And, is this the point that I should call my lawyer?" Jim said, growing angry at the man's rudeness.

"Are you guilty of something?  Do you need a lawyer?"  Edwards questioned.  He could see that Jim was getting defensive.

"Okay, let's just get to the point." Jim said crossly, "Yes, I was here last night.  I'm sure Karen told you that piece of info.  I was getting a phone number for her.  While I was here, I did hear something in the break room.  But I was distracted by Karen calling me again and I left.  No bloody showdown.  So, even though I know I am not guilty of anything, you may think I am!  If you do, then yes, I will need a lawyer!"

"Easy."  Edwards appeased, "This is just a routine questioning.  If it gets too complicated, yes, please call some representation. But just answer a couple of questions and we may be able to clear it up without getting legal."

Jim thought for a second, "Okay, what do you really want to know."

"The murder weapon was a pair of scissors with your name on them."  Edwards said, watching for Jim's reaction.  Jim processed the information with some astonishment, but he tried to use logic.

"Yes, and everyone in the office knew about them, borrowed them and they would disappear.  Hence the reason I put my name on them."  Jim stated, "You may also find my prints on them because they were my scissors.  I use them at work."

"Good, now we are making some headway."  Edwards said and he wrote something on the pad. "What time were you in the office last night?"

"I was on the phone with Karen when I came into the office around 10:00pm."  Jim said, "Since I'm sure you are going to check my cell phone records, it should tell you the exact time I was in the office."

"Were you on the phone with her the entire time you were on the phone?"  Edwards asked.

"No, the conversation was split in half."  Jim said. "I was talking to her when I came in.  I was pissed that she made me leave my apartment in the middle of the night for something that could have waited until the morning.  We had hung up, and then she called me again to ask me to come over and pick her up a chicken sandwich on the way.  I was tired and said I wanted to go home.  Then we hung up again.  I left right after that."

"How inconvenient."  Edwards said, "If you had gotten her the sandwich, you might have had a stronger alibi."

"That's putting it mildly."  Jim said and crossed his arms.

"You said you heard a noise?"  Edwards asked.

"I was standing at my desk about to leave.  I heard a small click." Jim said and he squinted as he concentrated. "It was like a metal blind.  I think I put it off to the air conditioner blowing the blinds.  I was tired and just wanted to get home."

"You still care for Pam?" Edwards inquired, hoping to catch Jim off guard.

"Yes, of course."  Jim said, "She is very important to me."

"Was she important enough to kill for?"  Edwards continued.

Jim gave him a withering look, "Come on!  I didn't have to kill Roy!  They had broken up.  I'm with Karen.  I didn't know where things with Pam and I stood.  I still don't, but Roy was not the problem.  Besides I heard after the incident in the office the other day that they had broken up for good."

"But, they had broken up before that and gotten back together."  Edwards said, "They could have gotten back together again. Couples do that.  Then you would never have a chance at her."

"But it didn't matter! I laid my heart on the line with Pam before." Jim insisted, "She didn't see me as anything other than a friend!  Can't you see that?"

"Pam informed me that she's in love with you."  Edwards said and he watched Jim register a look of shock.

"You guys will say anything to screw with a person's mind, won't you?"  Jim said and shook his head.

"No man, she does. It's what she said."  Edwards said, "She doesn't believe you could do it either."

Jim sat dazed.  His head was spinning and he could not come up with any reply.  Edwards watched the man and was amazed to see that Jim had no idea of Pam's feelings.  This was not good for the investigation.  If Jim thought Pam truly did not have feelings for him, then he would have no real motive.

"Jim, can you think of anyone else who would want to kill Roy?" Edwards asked, wondering if Jim may have some other motive.

"I don't know."  Jim said faintly and he looked down.  His face was flushed. "Roy was a bully."

"You never saw him fighting with or arguing with anyone else?" Edwards asked.

"Roy and I did not socialize."  Jim said, "I only saw him at work.  I didn't like him.  He wasn't good for Pam and I hated the way he treated her.  Even if I'd not had feelings for Pam, I wouldn't have approved of the way he treated her."

"Did he hit or abuse her?" Edwards asked.

"God no!" Jim answered and gave a look of repulsion. "At least I hope not!  Then I would have had a motive. If he ever hit her...I would have hurt him.  He just neglected her and took her for granted."

"Do you know if he cheated on her?" Edwards inquired.

"I wouldn't be surprised." Jim replied, "He'd forget to meet her after work.  She complained to me of his late hours out with the boys.  I told you he was an asshole."

Detective Edwards watched Jim closely.  He looked tired and wan.  Jim looked like he had a lot going through his mind.  Edwards wanted to believe him, but he had been lied to by many honest looking suspects in the past.  He sat on the side of the table and sighed.  He looked directly at his suspect.

"Jim...we have you at the place of the crime, during the time of the crime, with ownership of the murder weapon.  You were in love with, and still in love with the victim's girlfriend of many years.  You have had a recent scuffle with the victim.  Can you tell me one reason, just one reason, that I shouldn't arrest you right now?" Edwards demanded.

Jim looked up at Detective Edwards.  His green eyes were cloudy and unfocused.  He didn't know what to say to the officer.  His head was full of emotion as he processed the fact that he had been so thoroughly set up, and that Pam might actually love him.  He honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"Detective Edwards." Jim said, "All I can tell you is that I didn't do this. I know you have to do your job.  I sincerely hope you do find this person, because even though Roy was not my favorite person, he didn't deserve to go out like this. I didn't kill Roy Anderson.  But, I've been set up to take the fall for this."

"Anything else?" Edwards asked.

"Yes, I think I'm gonna get that lawyer now."  Jim replied, and then he stood up, "Are you going to arrest me?"

"No, not yet." Edwards said resignedly, "But Jim...don't leave town."

Jim gave a small nod and walked past the guard and out of the room.

End Notes:
Thanks for the read, more to come.
Chapter 14 - Interrogations over by Ellelque
Jim left the small room and saw Pam watching him expectantly from where he had left her.  He felt a little dry mouthed when he saw her face.  If what the detective to him was true, then Jim knew he was going to be the happiest man alive.  But he knew that it would do him no good if he wound up behind bars for a crime he didn't commit.  He walked over and Pam and Phyllis stood up.  Jim forced his face to look amicable and not stare at Pam too much.

He looked around the conference room.  Everyone was looking at him.  Angela sat with Dwight at the table.  Oscar and Kevin were still leaning against the wall.  Ryan and Kelly sat together.  Darryl sat next to Madge.  Meredith was passed out with her head on the conference room table.  Half of the office staff was still there.  Toby, Stanley, Michael, Andy, Creed and Karen were not in the room.  Karen's absence angered Jim slightly, but he shook it off.  The way that everyone was watching him, Jim knew everyone had been apprised of the situation and was waiting to see what transpired to him. 

"What happened?"  Phyllis asked as she approached him.

"Yeah Jim," Pam said with worry in her voice.  She reached out and touched his arm.  "Are they going to arrest you?"

Her touch brought a tingling on his arm.  He composed his words carefully, "They suspect me, but its circumstantial evidence.  I'm not being arrested yet.  But, I'll need to get a lawyer immediately.  They have a lot to use against me. I think I've been set up."

Pam grasped his arm tighter. "Jim! No!"

"Jim, I told them that you would not do this!"  Dwight said.  Angela stood next to him.  Jim glanced at them both, briefly remembering the clinch he had seen them in just days ago.

"Thanks Dwight."  Jim said, touched by his unexpected loyalty.

"They asked us all questions about you."  Kevin said, "I'm sorry."

"Did you tell him I did it?"  Jim asked.

"No!" Kevin declared.

"Then don't sweat it." Jim said, "I know they questioned all of you.  It's their job.  Just be honest."

"Jim, I'm sorry they're doing this to you."  Pam said and she was starting to cry again. "Roy was my issue, not yours."

"It's okay Pam."  Jim said calmly and he placed an arm on her shoulders.  He looked into her eyes and said soothingly, "It'll be okay."

"If you need money for a lawyer, let me know."  Phyllis offered, "I'm sure Bob Vance could come up with something."

"How come they tell you all that but don't arrest you?"  Kevin asked absent-mindedly, "That isn't how they do it on Law & Order."

"Because Kevin," Jim replied, "I think they are waiting until they have all the evidence in.  If they arrest me, then they find something indicating someone else, it'll look bad for their case."

"Cool." Kevin said nodding his head. "Well, hopefully they will find something from someone else."

"Thanks Kev." Jim said. 

"Surely, they will find another suspect."  Ryan added, "Maybe they'll find another set of finger prints or something."

"My God Jim!"  Kelly inserted her loud voice, "How could they think you would kill Roy!  I mean why?  You had nothing against Roy.  Why in the world would you kill Roy?  And to do it so gruesomely..."

"Let's get out of here."  Angela sharply interrupted, "I saw them take...Roy away.  They're still upstairs going over the office.  I hope they don't leave that fingerprint powder all over the place."

"I think that they have some crime scene cleaners come after it is over."  Oscar supplied. "At least that's what they do on television."

Jim led the group to the entrance and they followed protectively.  Kevin looked over at Meredith who chose that time to let out a large snore.

"What're we going to do about her?"  He asked.

"Besides an intervention?"  Angela asked acerbically.

"I'll tell one of the officers to make sure she gets home safely."  Darryl said. "She looks kind of comfortable right now."  To which Meredith mumbled the something that sounded like, "fluffy bunny" in her sleep and gave a small snort that turned into another loud snore.

"You know."  Jim said, indicating Meredith's drunken stupor, "When I get this whole frame-up situation fixed.  We really ought to get on that problem.  Get her some help."

Everyone concurred with Jim's comment and walked towards the entrance.

 "We called your parents."  Phyllis said, "They said they were calling a guy named Louis, who does law.  I told them that if you were arrested I would call.  But they're waiting for you to call them back."

"Good, because I'm gonna need a lawyer."  Jim said.  They walked out of the building.  The official cars were still filling the parking lot.  Jim saw that they were going through his car.  They had a tow truck pulled up to load his vehicle.  He frowned to himself.  "I bet they're going through my apartment too."

"Jim, I'll give you a ride home."  Oscar said.  Jim nodded silently. He looked around at Pam and Phyllis.

"It's early, I probably need to stop by this lawyer."  Jim said, watching as they hooked his car up.  "You got time to run me by?"  Oscar shook his head.

"You guys go home."  Jim said. "Pam let Phyllis see you home.  Why don't you go spend a few days with your folks?  You don't need to be in the middle of this."

"Jim until this is over and I know you aren't going to be bothered again, I feel better being here."  Pam said.  Jim smiled softly at her and nodded.  He knew he had no right to tell her what to do.

"Well do me a favor."  Jim said, "Don't stress yourself out.  I am going to take care of this.  Maybe you want to go talk to Roy's family?"

"Yeah, I'll go see them."  Pam said.  She watched him and looked for any sign of panic.  He seemed so in control.  She wondered where Karen was and how she could leave him in a time like this.  Jim wondered this as well.

"I wonder if we are getting paid for today?"  Kelly asked.  Angela gave her a withering look.  Ryan walked over and took her arm.  He gave the others an understanding look and led her away.

"I think I'm going home."  Angela said and she looked back at the building and grimaced in disgust.  The melee' of police and reporters infested it like ants. "I'll call some of you if I hear anything from corporate."  She walked over and hugged Pam stiffly, and then she gave a side long glance at Dwight as she walked off.

"I better get going too."  Dwight said.  "I'll call Michael and inform him of the situation."  He left quickly.  Everyone followed suit and either hugged or patted Jim and Pam on the back as they went to their cars.  Oscar gave Jim a quick look and indicated he would wait at his car for him.

Jim walked Pam to her car.  He opened the door and she got in.  She looked up at him.  The sun lit him from behind and Pam squinted up.

"Jim, I'm sorry about this."  Pam said, gazing up at him with a worried expression. "Will you call me if you need anything?"

"I might even call you if I don't."  Jim replied and he smiled.  Then he closed the door and went to Oscar's car.  He watched her drive off.

Chapter 15 - The Arrest by Ellelque
Jim called his parents from the car.  His mother was frantic, his father concerned.  He alleviated their fears for the time being.  They wanted to drive down, but Jim told them to wait.  He didn't want to put anyone out unless the situation deteriorated.  He promised to contact them if it became more serious.  Jim honestly believed that this would blow over and the police would find a lead to another person.  He hated that it had worried his friends and family.

Oscar drove him to the lawyer that Jim's brother, Jonathan, recommended.  They'd been college roommates.  Patrick Louis, Esquire had just recently started his private practice.  Louis had a relatively extensive background in criminal case law from working the other side at the District Attorney's office.

Jim sat with him and discussed the situation.  Louis gave his recommendation of what to do, should Jim actually be arrested.  Louis warned him that the situation could accelerate if the cops didn't find another lead.  He gave Jim a business card with all of his numbers in case of emergency.

When Jim asked how much it would cost, Louis told him that his legal services were free, thanks to his friendship with Jonathan.  Jim would only be responsible for any court costs.  This took some of the load off Jim's shoulders.

They left the office and Oscar drove towards Jim's apartment.  He looked out at the road and tried to imagine who would set him up.  Jim knew that his coming to the office last night was just a stroke of luck for the killer.  He speculated that his arrival is what made him the target.  It had to be someone who knew his history with Roy.

"Who would want to kill Roy?"  Jim asked aloud.

"Well," Oscar said, watching the road as he drove. "I can think about a few people he drank with.  I heard he's a mean drunk."

"But they had to know that I was someone who would make a good patsy.  They had to know that Roy and I didn't like each other and that I had a thing for Pam. They must have been in that break room while I was out at my desk and on the phone.  They must have been watching me."

"Man that is creepy."  Oscar said and gave a small shiver.  "It sounds like a scary movie."

"A thief or person from outside the office would not have known our history."  Jim stated.

"Jim, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that you and Pam were close.  It also didn't take one to see that Roy was a jerk."  Oscar replied.

"But you see...it has to be someone from the office, warehouse or someone who works in the building that maybe hears the gossip."  Jim considered.

"I just can't picture anyone we work with doing that."  Oscar said, "But there are some mean looking guys in the warehouse."

"The detective said that Roy had been cheating on Pam."  Jim said

"With who?"  Oscar asked.

"I don't know."  Jim said, and gave a slight smile.  "Kelly would be too talkative.  Meredith?  Madge?  Phyllis is a newlywed, and I really don't think his type.  Jan, now that would be a notch in Roy's belt?  Angela's too cold, unless you like that ice queen sort.  But she's seeing Dwight."

"What!"  Oscar said and almost ran off the road. "Dwight and Angela?"

"Shoot, I promised to keep that to myself after Dwight saved my face from Roy."  Jim replied.

"Are you sure?"  Oscar asked.

"I caught them making out in the office one day after everyone left, when they thought they were alone.  Don't tell anyone."  Jim answered.

Oscar was quiet for a second.  He replied, "God I hope they don't reproduce.  Can you imagine the children with Angela's cold stare and Dwight's moon face?"

"I just try to not picture them having sex."  Jim said and gave a small laugh.

"I just don't get you straight people."  Oscar replied and laughed too.

They drove for a few minutes and were about to turn the corner to Jim's apartment building.  The sun was high in the sky and Jim was thankful that Oscar liked to run the air conditioner on high.

"I wonder if they're still looking through my apartment."  Jim said as he looked out the window.

"What makes you think they're searching your apartment?"  Oscar asked.

"I don't know, maybe after seeing them tow off my car. I have a feeling that they are on a fishing trip."  Jim replied. "And I'm the largemouth bass."

Oscar gave a wry laugh, "Man, you sure are cool about this.  I'd be going freaking nuts."

"The day is young Oscar."  Jim solemnly, "Give me time, I may just do that.  Besides I didn't do anything to be worried about.  They aren't going to find anything."

They reached Jim's apartment.  He was saddened to see that he was correct about his apartment search.  There were two police cars and a crime evidence van pulled up to his parking area.

"I think I might have that freak out now."  Jim said faintly as he watched an officer come out of his apartment door with a small evidence box.  It looked like it had his computer in it. Oscar parked and Jim got out and walked to the entrance.

"Sir, can you tell me what you've taken out of my place?"  Jim asked in alarm.  He noticed that his doormat was missing.  It had been a white, thin carpet that read Hello my name is Mat.  Jim had been given it as a gag gift when he moved out of his parent's house.

"Sir, you'll need to stay out here until we're finished."  The officer replied. "We have a detailed list of any and all property taken from your residence.  You'll receive a copy to reclaim the items after the investigation is complete."

"Thank you, officer."  Jim said sarcastically, "That does make me feel so much better."

Jim sat on a stair next to the passageway that led up to the second floor apartments.  Oscar came and sat beside him.  The afternoon sun was beating down on them.  Jim felt his work shirt already starting to drench with sweat.  He was beginning to look worried.

"Do you think they took anything valuable?"  Oscar inquired.

"Well, I'll miss my computer."  Jim answered. "I think the only thing they may find of interest in my apartment is a few playboys and a half bottle of chardonnay that Karen left over."

"Where in the hell is Karen anyway?"  Oscar asked.  "Didn't she ever hear of that song, Stand By Your Man?"

"I don't think Karen's a very big country music fan."  Jim replied sardonically as he watched the police invade his life.  "I was wondering about her myself.  She got upset when she saw me with Pam."

Oscar looked at Jim for a few minutes.  He could see that Jim was very ruffled and attempting to keep it together.  Jim was watching the police coming in and out of his home.  He felt like his life was being invaded and put on display.  This was his personal things and some strangers were pawing and sorting through them.  It made him feel very helpless.  

Oscar, seeing how anxious Jim was becoming, tried to change the subject. "What is it with you and Pam?  I mean...I know you date Karen, but it doesn't take much to see you're still into Pam."

"I honestly don't know what's up with me and Pam."  Jim said quietly.  He put his head down and massaged his neck. "I guess I can figure it out after I get this mess over with.  Karen, I'll deal with too.  But, thanks for staying with me though, man."

"It's pretty funny that, of all the women in your life, "Oscar said dryly. "It's me sitting here.  I don't even know if I would be that supportive to my own boyfriend."

"Well Oscar, should I switch teams in the future, I'll look you up."  Jim said and he winked at Oscar.  They both gave small laugh.  Jim found that laughing helped him deal.  If he didn't laugh, he was sure that he would start screaming any minute now.

Another police car pulled up.  Detective Edwards and his goon guarding officer got out.  They walked over to Jim and Oscar. 

"Jim, I'm sorry, but we've found some additional evidence."  Edwards said and he took a pair of handcuffs out of his pocket. "We're gonna have to take you in."

"What kind of evidence?"  Jim asked agitated at this news.  He began to raise his voice in panic.

"You can ask your lawyer."  Edwards said.

"You're actually arresting me!"  Jim shouted.

"Halpert, come on."  Edwards replied, "I know you're not the kind of guy who'll resist."

"But, you think I'm the kind of guy who'll shove a pair of scissors in someone's throat!" Jim exclaimed.

"We'll talk about it at the station."  Edwards continued.

Jim put his head in his hands for a second.  He ran his fingers through his shaggy hair.  Jim could feel the sweat dripping down his back.  He reached in his pocket and removed his cell phone, handing it to Oscar.  Oscar looked upset and he started to say something.  Jim silenced him with a look.

"Oscar, call Louis, and then call my parents."  Jim said evenly. He struggled to remember everything that Louis had told him about being arrested.  He stood and put his wrist out for the cuffs.

"Don't call Pam, she'll get upset." Jim directed, "Call Phyllis instead and let her deal with the situation.  You may want to let Michael know too."

"What about Karen?"  Oscar asked.

"Screw Karen!" Jim snapped.  Seeing the surprise on Oscar's face, Jim calmed his tone, "Oscar, I'm sorry.  She doesn't seem to give a damn, so don't call her."

"Jim, you'll need bail!"  Oscar asked. He looked panicked.  He was clutching the cell phone and looking from Jim to the police.

"He didn't do it!"  Oscar demanded.  The officer just ignored him and placed on the handcuffs.  He saw that Jim was sweating and that he had small tremor in his hands.

"You just can't do this!"  Oscar yelled, "He didn't do it!"

"Oscar, just do what I said, man."  Jim said, "I'll be okay.  Just let my parents and the others know.  I need Patrick Louis.  His card's in the cell case.  Call him first and tell him where I'm at!" Jim yelled as they dragged him towards the squad car.

"You have the right to remain silent."  Edwards began.  He led Jim to the squad car.  Jim glanced over at his shoulder at Oscar and gave a worried look.  Oscar watched them leave.  Jim looked so alone.

"I'm calling Jim!"  Oscar yelled and Jim nodded, "I'll get it done.  Don't worry!"

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right..."

Chapter 16 - Phone Calls by Ellelque

Phyllis calls Pam

"Hello Pam, you okay?"

"Hi Phyllis. Did you hear anything about Jim?"

"Pam, I want you to be calm."

"What! What's happened?"

"They arrested Jim after he got home."

"Why!  No Phyllis, Jim didn't do this!"

"I know.  Jim was worried about you and he wanted me to call and check on you.  Are you okay?  Do you want to come over here?  Do you want for me come over there?"

"Phyllis, he's the one being arrested and he's worried about me?"

"Well, you know how Jim feels about you."

"Not anymore, but I know I can't let him get hurt.  Roy angers a lot of people. Maybe it was a robbery?  Maybe some transient..."

"Pam, you got to hold it together.  Please don't cry."

"I can't help it.  One man I loved is dead and the one I love now is being accused of his murder!"

"Pam, he needs you to be strong."

"Phyllis, does he need bail?  I have some money."

"If they allow bail, Bob Vance is going to put some money forward and I'm sure his parents will too."

"His poor parents!  I saw Roy's family.  They're taking it really bad.  They're not that pleased with me though.  Kenny has them thinking that I broke Roy's heart.  All I could do was offer my condolences.  I think they just want family around."

"I'm sorry Pam.  I spoke to Oscar.  Jim's lawyer is on it.  Oscar said the lawyer is worried he won't get bail because of the crime.  Jim may have to spend some time in the jail."

"Oh my Gosh!  You know the kind of people in there!  They'll kill him!"

"Don't underestimate Jim.  He's pretty smart."

"I have to go see him."

"I'll drive you down in the morning.  That's when I think he can get visitors."

"Please, first thing.  Do you think he's scared in there?"

"Probably a little, but Jim can take care of himself.  But believe it or not, I think Jim will feel a lot better if he knows you're okay."

"Okay, I'll see you in the morning?"

"I'll be there."

 

 

Angela calls Pam

"Hello Angela?"

"Pam, how did you know it was me?"

"I have caller I.D."

"Oh, well Phyllis called and she's worried that you should not be by yourself right now.  First she tried Kelly, but could not get a hold of her.  Then, Meredith isn't home, probably at a bar.  Because I'm single and have no one at home, Phyllis seems to think I would make a good person to keep you company."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  You don't have to do that.  I can't put you out."

"No, it would be the Christian thing to do."

"Well, I'm okay.  I know you have things to do in your own life."

"Not really.  My friend, I told you about is going to be working on his beet...work for the evening.  My cats are fed and I have no plans except to have a nice meal and retire with the Good book.  I think I can change them and give you some...girl time.  I...think...I could enjoy it.  If we don't do anything too...outrageous."

"Well, I do hate being alone.  All I can think about is Jim in that jail. I'm going to visit him in the morning."

"Well, give me your address and I'll come over."

"Okay."

"I happen to have some fresh lemon bars that I bought from a church bake sale.  I'll bring those and we could play watch a movie or something. Do you have any DVD's that are...suitable?"

"I have Pride and Prejudice?"

"Well that is kind of racy.  But I guess it will do."

"See you then."

 

 

Oscar calls Michael

"Michael?"

"Oh Oscar!  How horrible for our office.  A dead body!  This is gonna look so bad in my report to corporate!  This will not be good for my yearly bonus."

"Yes, Michael, I realize it's all about you."

"Don't you get it?  We have to go back into that office.  It was so...yuck!  Roy had scissors in his throat.  I saw it!  I can't eat in the room again.  Do you think they would let us move the office?  Maybe, to an even nicer building.  I do need a bigger office."

"Michael!  They arrested Jim."

"Jim!  Oh my God!  Why did he kill Roy?  Was it over Pam?  Jan!  Jan is here.  Jan, Jim killed Roy!"

"Michael, Jim did not kill Roy.  He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Someone is framing him."

"Framing him?  Jan, Oscar says someone framed Jim.  Who would frame Jim?  Jan can we change office buildings?  Why not?  Someone was murdered in our office!"

"Michael, just listen.  Jim is in the jail and he may be there until the lawyer gets him out. You need to tell Jan and inform corporate."

"Jan, do we pay him while he's in jail?  I mean even if he is innocent, he is being accused of killing another employee.  Okay, so Roy was technically an ex-employee.  Do we give him vacation pay?  No, I can talk to Oscar!  No...don't...take the...phone!"

"Oscar, hi this is Jan. Is Jim okay?"

"As good as he can be in jail.  The lawyer is trying to get him bail."

"You tell him that corporate has been informed and not to worry.  His job is secure and if he needs anything to please let us know."

"Thanks Jan."

"Please call my cell directly if you have any updates."

"Thanks for that too Jan."

 

 

Jim calls his Lawyer

"What's going on here Patrick? What did they find that was convincing enough to arrest me?"

"Jim, they said they found a drop of blood on your doormat and a smudge of blood on the trunk handle of your car.  They also found a men's jacket with blood on it in the garbage behind your house.  They're ordering DNA testing, but the blood type is Roy's."

"Bloody Jacket!  It can't be mine.  Damn, Patrick, those areas are out in the open!  Anyone could have transferred his blood to those places!  Anyone could have thrown that jacket away!"

"I know Jim, I brought that to the judge's attention."

"I'm being totally set up!  I didn't do this!"

"I know Jim, I believe you and so does your family and friends.  Your parents and Jonathan are on their way down."

"Oh Jeez! I hate to pull them into this!"

"They're your parents Jim, can't keep them out."

"I know.  Do you know if Pam has been called?  Has anyone called Michael at my job?"

"I spoke to Oscar, he's on it."

"What about bail?  Can you get me out of here?  How am I gonna figure out who did this while I'm in here?"

"Jim, this particular judge is a real hard ass.  He comes down very hard on murder.  The circumstances of this one are pretty grisly and he may not grant you bail."

"So I have to stay in here?"

"Maybe so.  I'm going to see if I can keep you in a solitary cell, or with a white collar criminal cellmate.  You have no record and this is the only accusation.  I may be able to swing it."

"I didn't really think it would go this far Patrick.  When they questioned me, I thought it was just a routine thing. I didn't really think they would try to pin it on me.  This happens on television, in books, not in real life!"

"Unfortunately, it happens in real life too.  Jim, I'm gonna do everything I can to fix this.  Just know that."

"I believe you...this is a nightmare."

"Can you think of anyone who would do this Jim?"

"The person knew my car and knew my address.  My God, this could possibly be someone I work with!"

"No one comes to mind?" 

"I have had nothing to do but think of it.  I went into the office, they had to have been in the break room watching me, so Roy must have already been dead.  Have you seen the crime scene photos?"

"Working on it.  The District Attorney is not being very forthcoming at this point.  They're building their case.  I think they're having problems with the motive."

"They think I killed him over Pam.  But I knew they had broken up.  They know I have another girlfriend.  They can't accept that I wouldn't do this and had no reason."

"Where is your girlfriend?  Her presence during all of this would have helped with the motive. Jim."

"Believe me, I have the same question."

"There's no reason she could be guilty of this?  She did get you to the office last night.  Does she have a motive?  Did she know him well?"

"Patrick, I was on the phone with her while I was there."

"On her cell?"

"She doesn't have a landline, she only has a cell phone."

"Who's to say she wasn't on the cell while in the office and watching you while you both talked?  Jim you there?"

"I was about to walk to the break room before she called me the second time.  It stopped me."

"So she may have knowingly or unknowingly saved your life.  If she were the killer, she called to stop you and distract you."

"She had no reason!  I don't think she ever had any real contact with him!"

"Jim, they worked in the same office and Roy was seeing someone on the side.  Who's to say she wasn't cheating on you?  Then she disappears after her interrogation. Her actions are kind of suspicious."

"This is really screwing with my head."

"What about Pam?  Could she have done this?"

"No way!"

"Jim is that your head talking or your heart?"

"Just don't go there.  Spend 30 minutes with her and you'll see."

"He neglected and had an abusive outburst at Poor Richards with her.  He tore the bar apart.  Who's to say that he didn't abuse her?"

"I'm telling you Patrick, this is a bad lead.  I know.  Please don't accuse her or bother her.  She didn't do this."

"Okay, okay.  I will drop it for now. I had another lead that was rather odd. I heard through a friend of mine in the precinct that Kevin Malone owed Roy almost $10,000."

"I just have a hard time seeing Kevin as the evil genius who set me up.  But you know what?  I have had quite a lot of surprises today."

"Okay, what about Dwight?  He did pepper spray Roy?"

"Dwight doesn't have the brain power either.  You are dealing with someone smart."

"Michael your boss, has called me twice this evening.  What's the story on him?"

"Another brain trust from Dunder Mifflin.  No, if Michael killed him, he would have taken credit.  He doesn't like to share the spot light."

"Well, it's getting late and I got a judge to interrupt from dinner.  Hopefully we can get you out on bail in the morning."

"Okay"

"Jim, are you holding up okay?"

"I am maintaining.  Just get me out of here.  And Patrick, please don't put any more pressure on Pam."

End Notes:
Thanks Lebow for all your help!
Chapter 17 - Visiting Hours by Ellelque
Karen

Jim was taken to the isolated visitor's pods.  It had two large desks with a thick plexi-glass partition separating the prisoner and the visitor.  He saw Karen sitting in the chair on the other side, waiting to see him.  There was a small vent in the window that allowed for conversation. 

Karen looked at Jim and felt a pang of embarrassment at the sight of him wearing the bright orange jump suit.  He looked like a common criminal. She tried to focus on his face.  He had dark circles under his eyes and his shaggy hair looked more disheveled than usual.  Jim kept a blank expression on his face as he sat down.

"Nice of you to make time for me in your busy schedule."  He said dryly.  He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"Oh Jim, don't mock me.  I was just having a hard time dealing with what happened yesterday."  She explained.  "I'm here now.  I'm sorry. I just...needed time to adjust."

"I think I had a hard time yesterday too." Jim replied matter-of-factly.  "The finger printing and strip search were a hoot.  It was especially stress-free when they stuck me in an 8 foot cell with a biker named Binky."

"Oh God, did he hurt you?"  She asked.

"No, luckily Binky likes my sense of humor."  Jim replied, showing no humor in his expression.  All he felt was just a calm rage. "As long as I keep him laughing, I might avoid the regulatory prison rape."

"You're being so flippant!"  Karen exclaimed, "Take this seriously!"

Jim sat still and watched Karen in amazement.  She gave the impression that she was being inconvenienced by being there, when he was the one being held captive.

"I have a feeling that I'm taking this a little more seriously than you."  He retorted.  He noticed that she looked freshly showered and clean.  She wore a dark blue blouse and jeans.  Her make-up was flawlessly applied.

"Come on!  You just had to go to her side and comfort her!"  Karen yelled and stood.  She paced as she spoke. "You just couldn't wait for the opportunity to get near Pam!"

"The man that she had been with for years had just been viciously murdered!"  Jim responded.  "I'm rotting in jail. I'm accused of killing him and you're still going on about Pam?"

"Well, if it hadn't been for your obsession with her, you probably wouldn't be here!"  Karen retaliated.

"Excuse me!  If you hadn't coerced me into going to the office in the middle of the night, I probably wouldn't be here either!"  Jim argued. "And thank you for the support.  You came out of that interrogation after they inquire about me, and you tell them that I was in the office the night before.  Do you come over and tell me, prepare me for what they thought?  No, you leave!  Well, say what you will about Pam Beesly, but the first thing she did?  She comes to me and clues me in on their suspicions!"

"I was scared!"  Karen explained.  "I mean that man said some pretty direct things, and then when I mentioned your being in the office he pounced.  I felt guilty for saying anything!"

"So you ran off?"  Jim asked and glared at her.

"You just don't understand!"  Karen said and put her face in her hands.  She leaned up against the wall.

"Tell me Karen, did you know Roy?"  Jim asked quickly, "Is there a reason that you could want him dead?"

"You think I might have done it!" Karen said exasperated.  She jerked her head up and stared at him.

"Well, let's see.  You send me there at the right time?  You know my address, my car and my history with Roy? You clue the cops in on my presence at the crime scene?" Jim asked.

"How dare you!"  Karen yelled.

"They found his blood on my doormat and car trunk!"  Jim yelled.  "They have some jacket that was found in my garbage with his blood on it.  Who would set me up?"

"You can't think I would do that!"  Karen screamed and slapped her hands on the desk.  She leaned over close to the glass and looked into his eyes. "Don't you know me?"

"I don't think I know you as well as I thought."  Jim said quietly.  He bent over and rubbed his tired eyes.

"What about your precious Pam?"  She asked bitterly. "He was her fiancé!"

"She couldn't do this."  Jim said defensively.

"I am so sick of Pam Beesly!" Karen exclaimed waving her arms around dramatically.  "She's some mousy little receptionist, with no future.  She has no future Jim! What do you see in her?"

"You know what?"  Jim said coldly, "100 Karen Filipellis are not worth 1 Pam Beesly.  You could never be the kind of woman I love.  You're selfish, ambitious and care for no one but yourself.  Your actions during this whole situation are prime examples of it.  Now, this is hard enough as it is.  Kindly take yourself out of here.  We're through!"

Jim stood up and left the pod.  Karen watched Jim's orange figure leave.  Her mouth was agape and she was dumbfounded.  Jim had actually broken up with her.

 

Pam

A few hours later, Jim got called to the visitor's pod.  He wondered if it was Patrick with some good news.  He prayed that it wasn't Karen, attempting some lame reconciliation. He was surprised and happy to see Pam sitting in the cubicle.  He looked down at his orange jumpsuit and flushed.  He felt a wave of embarrassment at his appearance.  Pam gave him a broad encouraging smile and Jim forgot his clothes.  He sat down and gazed at her beautiful face.

"Hey you."  Jim said softly and smiled.  He wanted to reach through the glass and touch her.

"Jim, I had to see you."  Pam said.

"I hope you can look past the fancy duds this place provides."  Jim joked, "I forgot my tuxedo in the other cell."

Pam gave a small laugh and her eyes started to water.  "Oh Jim, I'm trying not to cry."

"Hey, don't worry Pam."  Jim said gently.  He saw that Pam hadn't gotten much sleep either.  Her face was paler than usual. "Please don't cry. I'm worried about you.  I'm sorry about what happened to Roy.  Please tell me you don't think I could do that."

"Never Jim!"  Pam cried out. "You could never do this! You need to be out of here. I just want this to be over."

"I can understand that feeling." Jim said.

"Jim, everyone is worried about you."  Pam said.  "Your parents are staying at a hotel with Jonathan.  I think they're waiting to see you next.  Everyone at the office sends their support."

"Pam, I want you to be careful."  Jim warned, "I think that someone in the office set me up.  They found evidence on my car and my doormat. The clues on this could only be planted by someone who knew me well and knew the office relationships."

Pam looked shocked. "But who?"

"I have no idea."  Jim said, "But please watche your back.  I don't know what I would do if something happened to you!"

"I was really frantic last night.  Angela actually came over and watched television with me!  I know it was very weird.  She's not that bad of company.  It kept my mind busy temporarily." Pam gave a small grin.

Pam wanted to put her hand on the plexi-glass.  She wanted to reach out to him.  She wanted to hold him.  She paused and took a breath.  She felt that maybe she was over stepping her role in Jim's life.

"Has Karen been here?" she asked tentatively. "Have you had a chance to talk to her?  Do you want someone to call her?"

Jim looked down and frowned. "Yeah, she was here. It didn't go well. We broke up."

"She broke up with you while you were in jail!"  Pam exclaimed and then said in a very non-Pam like fashion said, "That Bitch!"

"No, no I broke up with her."  Jim replied, surprised to see Pam show such venom. "It wasn't going to work anyway.  This whole episode just showed me that.  I was just never going to love her like..."

Pam saw his face flush.  He looked distressed.  She wanted him to finish the sentence.  "Like what Jim?" She asked softly.  She watched his face with rapt attention.

"Pam, don't ask me to say it."  Jim whispered and he looked at his hands. "I've lost so much right now.  I just can't be hurt anymore, especially right now."  He couldn't meet her eyes.

"I want you to finish the sentence Jim."  Pam replied cautiously.  He looked up and her eyes were soft and pleading.  She was leaning in towards Jim.  She wanted to hear it so bad, that her heart ached.

"I don't think I could ever love her like I love you."  Jim said in a low voice and he felt as if he had just taken a large breath, unable to exhale.  He could feel his heart pounding.

"Still?"  She asked breathlessly.

"Still love you?"  Jim inquired and then said plainly.  "I never stopped Pam.  I have always loved you. I tried to stop, but...why are you crying now?  I'm sorry Pam. I don't want to put anymore on your shoulders.  I'll deal with my feelings."

Pam's face shown and silent tears were running down her cheeks.  She had a huge luminous smile on her face.  She reached out and splayed her palm on the glass. "You Fool!  Jim, I'm in love with you.  You have to know that!"

Jim was silent and he watched her face.  He reached out and placed his hand on hers.  Their touch was separated by the thick plastic.  But Jim could swear he could feel the heat of her skin against his.

"Pam Beesly."  Jim sighed and breathed.  He started to smile.  His smile suddenly lit up his whole face.  Pam started to laugh through her tears. "Why are you laughing?"

"Because after all these years, we finally say I love you to each other and we're separated by what looks like 3 inches of plexi-glass.  It's so ironic!"  Pam giggled and wiped away the tears with her free hand.

Jim started laughing too.  He felt as if he were on top of the world.  Here he was sitting in a jail, surrounded by gun toting guards and iron bars, yet Jim Halpert felt freer than he had felt in years.

"Pam, when I walk out of here."  Jim said, "I'm going to redo that kiss."

"God I hope so." Pam exclaimed.  They sat and looked at each other for what felt like seconds, but were really minutes.

"Jim, I'm going to figure out who did this."  Pam said determined.  "I'm gonna get you out of here."

"Don't put yourself in danger."  Jim warned.  "Whoever did this knows me and my feelings for you.  They may hurt you if you get too close.  The police will figure it out."

"Yeah, they look like they're really trying to find someone else."  Pam said sarcastically.

"It'll work out."  Jim said. "Please promise me you'll stay out of it and let them do their job."

"I can promise I will let them do their job."  Pam replied, hoping that Jim didn't notice that she omitted the "staying out of it."

Jim cocked his head and did that little eye squint thing that she loved.  "Don't forget the stay out of it part."

"I'll try."  Pam answered and looked at her watch. "I think I'm on a time limit here.  I think your parents are waiting for you next."

"Will you see me again?"  Jim asked.  He hated so much to see her leave.  It was like the light and fresh air was leaving with her.

"Of course Mr. Halpert."  She stood and put her face close to the glass.  He stood and put his close to the glass.  Their hands matched places on the glass.  They were inches apart, but unable to touch.  He had never been this close to Pam's face in the bright light.  He noticed that she had a small fleck of gold in the green of her right eye.  It was the most beautiful thing he had never seen.

Pam kissed the glass and left a small lip print.  Jim placed his hand on the kiss print.  He sorrowfully watched her leave.  The walls closed in on him as the door shut.  He was back in jail.

End Notes:
Thanks again Lebow.
Chapter 18 - Fancy New Beesly has a plan by Ellelque
Early Monday morning Pam returned to the office.  The crime scene tape had been removed from the front door.  She didn't want to go in alone and decided to wait for the next person to arrive.  She knew that it had been cleaned, so all evidence would have been removed.  Even so, the once dull office had become a frightening place for her.  She sat in a small chair in the hallway, waited and reflected on the last three days.

It had become her most wonderful dream and worst nightmare all at once.  Jim was still being held in the jail while the detectives investigated Roy's murder.  He had not been granted bail because of the circumstances of the crime.  She had visited him every chance she had between his family and lawyer.  They talked about the crime and contemplated ideas.  But she noticed they spent more time talking like they did before Casino Night, Stamford and Karen. 

The situation between her and Jim had become surreal. In the little visitor's pod there were no distractions to stop them from really talking about their feelings for each other.  Pam was able to tell Jim how much she loved him.  She told him how the last year had been torture for her as she watched him with Karen.  Jim explained why he left and why he came back with Karen.  He rationalized that it was his fear of rejection that had made him distant.

Jim told Pam that he had always loved her, from the first day they ate lunch together, and before he found out she was engaged.  Pam felt like such an idiot for not knowing or responding in time.  Pam told him about the realities of cancelling her wedding.  She explained Roy's going off the deep end and driving drunk.  She explained her guilt. She told him of her happiness at his return to Scranton, followed shortly by her horror at realizing his relationship with Karen.

They spent their short visits planning for things they wanted to do together.  They acted as if this was just a temporary stall, to add to the last 4 years before they would be together.  They said the kinds of things that only lovers would whisper to each other in the middle of the night.  But the glass partition forced them to look into each other's eyes in the light of day as they spilled their hearts out.  They couldn't hide anything from each other anymore.

Their world for the time being was made up of words and expressions.  The thick glass between them brought together their minds, if not their bodies.  She longed for him with such wonton craving that she never knew with Roy. 

For his part, Jim found that he could mentally escape his confinement whenever he was in her presence.  He thought to himself that he would have been content to stay in jail and have Pam to himself in the little pods, than to go back to the world with her the way it was before.  He spent hours in his cell laying on the rack and thinking of her.  It made the solitary time easier.

They both realized that all along, they had just needed to sit down and talk honestly.  Go over what was really happening.  Not just react to what they thought the other was thinking.  If they had sat down earlier in their relationship, then maybe they would have been together sooner.  Pam wondered, had they had gotten together sooner, Roy would still be alive?

She speculated that had they gotten together last year after he kissed her, then maybe there would have been no office pepper spraying incident.  But knowing Roy, Pam figured that he would have just attacked Jim earlier after he found out they were dating.  It was destiny.  The only part of fate that didn't seem to make sense was Roy's brutal death.

Pam had left Sunday afternoon from her visit with Jim, determined to figure everything out.  It seemed that the detectives were focusing all their energy on accusing Jim.  They weren't looking anywhere else.  Someone had to search for the real killer.  The only way that she was going to be in Jim's arms again was if she solved it herself.  At least, Pam figured, she could find a new lead. 

She lay in bed last night formulating her plan. Everyone had to be a suspect so she couldn't take anyone in her confidence.  She figured that Phyllis was probably innocent, but why chance it?  She didn't really know Roy, who's to say that someone else in the office didn't have a double life?  She would be vigilant to any odd behavior, or at least any odder behavior than usual.  She would find out how much everyone actually knew Roy and she would seek out their alibis.

Clues have to be in the office or from someone who works there.  The crime took place there and no one broke in.  They had a key.  The problem with that is that almost everyone had an office key.  Michael had lost his keys continually a few years back.  His remedy was to "key up" everyone.  That way he could copy their set.  She intended to watch everyone closely today.  She had arrived extra early for another reason.  Someone else may arrive early in order to check through the office. 

She also hoped to sneak into Roy's apartment later that evening.  She wanted to locate anything to help.  There were things about Roy's life that she didn't know.  He was seeing other women.  He was into heavy gambling.  He had another life.  It was odd to wake up and realize that she never really knew him.  She was only glad this didn't happen after years of being married to him.  But, she would be able to see if anything was out of place at his apartment.  Once, it had been her home.  She at least knew him better than the detectives.  

It was important that Pam watch how each person approached the work day.  The first thing that Pam planned to do was put Michael Scott to use.  She knew that if she told Michael that the police suspected that someone from Dunder Mifflin committed the murder he would become paranoid.  Michael Scott made a lot of people uncomfortable when he was paranoid.  The murderer was comfortable knowing Jim was on the hook for the crime.  Michael could make that comfort go away.  He was good at that.

She would make a point to talk to everyone in the office and warehouse today.  It would be hard to do without being obvious.  But then again, no one ever really noticed Pam. 

Chapter 19 - The Return of Employees by Ellelque
Author's Notes:
Thanks Lebow!
Kevin came lumbering down the hall.  He saw Pam sitting at the door and stopped for a moment.  He turned red with embarrassment.  Kevin figured everyone in the office now knew about his gambling problem.  He worried that Pam may think he killed Roy.  He paused, but Pam turned and smiled at him.  She didn't look like she was angry or ready to make accusations.

"Hi Pam."  Kevin said with forced cheer. "Why aren't you in the office?  Is it still a crime scene?"

"No I just didn't want to go in by myself."  Pam said softly.

"I'm sorry Pam."  Kevin said and he looked down at the floor. "I promise, I didn't kill Roy."

"I know Kevin."  Pam said sweetly, "I'm sorry to hear of your problems though."

"Thanks."  Kevin said, "I was referred to a group of people who talk and stuff to help."

"You mean Gamblers Anonymous?"  Pam asked.

"Yeah." Kevin said.  Angela was walking out of the elevator when she saw Pam and Kevin waiting in the hall.

"Why are you standing in the hall?"  She asked disapprovingly.

"We were waiting for you."  Kevin said.  Angela looked a little startled and then frowned.

"People, this is an office."  Angela instructed, "You need to act like professionals."

"Well, it's kinda hard with it being the crime scene and all."  Kevin said.

"They cleaned up this weekend."  Angela said. "They painted the break room like new and we even got some new vending machines."

"Awesome, I hope they have new food."  Kevin replied, and then looked guilty when he looked at Pam.  He thought Pam looked sad.  "Sorry Pam, I didn't mean to be excited about the food."

"That's okay Kevin."  Pam said and she forced a small smile on her face. "We have to move on."

"Yes we do."  Angela snapped and took out her key to unlock the door.

"Thanks for coming over the other night and watching movies with me."  Pam said to Angela.  "I really didn't want to be alone."

"It was my pleasure."  Angela said flatly, "You have a very...cheery apartment."

Angela opened the door and they entered.  The lobby looked exactly the same.  It was as if there had never been a multitude of police trouncing through the place.  Pam went to her desk and saw that some of her items had been moved around. She sat in her chair and looked over at Jim's desk.  She longed to see the back of his shaggy brown head.

Kevin walked towards the break room.  He stood outside the door as Angela, agitated at his pause, brushed past him and opened the door.  She flicked on the light switch and the room brightened, smelling of fresh paint. There was a new food vending machine and a new soda machine that now included bottled water and cold Starbucks Double Shots.  The tables and chairs were new.  There was also an instant coffee and hot chocolate machine. 

"Corporate leased us that to help us acclimate better from the trauma."  Angela said and rolled her eyes sarcastically.  "We actually had it in the budget, but they wouldn't let us use it before.

"Wow!"  Kevin said as he gazed as the contents of the vending machine.  "They got powdered doughnuts in here."  He reached in his pocket for change.

They heard voices out in the office.  Andy had entered and hesitantly walked to his desk.  He looked around the office as if he expected to be jumped any moment.  Karen came in, her head down and avoided Pam's space.  She went straight to her desk and started setting up without a word to anyone.  Andy looked over at Karen and smiled.

"You okay Karen?"  Andy asked and she looked at him blankly. "I know it's got to be pretty bad to be dating potential felon.  Do you think they'll allow for communal visits?"

"Shut up Andy!"  She snapped at him.  "He didn't do it.  And this is really not your business."

"But if he didn't do it, then who did?"  Andy continued, "Do we have a vicious slaughterer in our midst?  Shouldn't we have some protection in this situation?"

"Andy, it's safe."  Angela snapped.  She went to her desk and found a new cash box waiting for her.  It was industrial strength with a combination lock.  She smiled a small tight smile and placed it in her lower desk drawer. 

"You're the only one who's dangerous around here."  Karen said to Andy.  She raised one eyebrow and glowered at him.  "Don't you have some holes to punch in the wall?"

"But if Jim didn't commit this crime, who did?  Maybe you did?" Andy replied suspiciously.  He leaned over and whispered, "I happen to know Roy made a pass at you one night at Poor Richards!  You're not so innocent." 

Karen whispered something back at him that was not at all lady-like.  He leered back at her, and then laid his briefcase on his desk and sat down.  "Damn!  They messed with my computer!  My mouse has been moved and the screen is in a different position."

"I imagine they went through all our computers."  Pam said from her reception area. She pretended that she didn't hear Andy's comment to Karen.  She quickly wrote it down and then said innocently, "They were probably searching for clues.  I think they had some technical expert come in here and look through them."

"God, I hope they didn't find my Girls of Cornell nude section!"  Andy said and he booted his computer up.

"You should be fired for having that smut on your computer."  Angela retorted from her desk.

"I don't know."  Andy said and smirked at her, "You went to College, didn't you Angela?  Surely you were a coed once?"

Angela just glared at him icily.  Andy shifted in his seat and went to work.  Oscar arrived and he smiled brightly at Pam.  He asked her how Jim was doing.  She told him of her last visit.  Karen slyly watched them as she bent her head down.  She frowned in disgust. 

Creed, Stanley and Meredith came in the office.

"Is Michael in?"  Meredith asked.  That was answered when she looked to see that his office was dark. "I hope he stays out today.  I'm tired.  I need some sleep."  She took a pull off her morning coffee thermos. Pam took notice of the thermos.  She assumed that it was not all coffee.

"Meredith, we have a new coffee machine in the break room."  Pam said and looked at her thermos. "No need to bring in your own anymore."

"I like my own brand!"  Meredith said defensively and she hugged her thermos closely.   She ignored their stares and walked to her desk.

"Your brand has fumes." Stanley said as he breezed by her.  "I can smell it all the way to my desk." 

Toby walked in and up to the reception area.  He smiled shyly at Pam. "Are you alright Pam?"  She smiled and affirmed that she was fine.  Toby looked like he wanted to say something else, but he just smiled again and walked back to the annex.

"So we're no longer a crime scene?"  Creed quipped.  He had the little smile playing on his face. He walked directly to the break room and went in.  He exited the room scowling.  He would have to get keys to the new vending machines.

Kelly and Ryan arrived.  Kelly looked around fearfully and Ryan did his usual eye rolls at her over the top dramatics.  Dwight arrived and did a close inspection of the entire office and warehouse, armed with his potato gun.  Once he had "cleared the scene" he declared it fit for work. 

"I just want you to all know that I have made preparation, should anyone here feel unsafe."  Dwight said holding up his potato gun.

"What are you going to do Dwight?"  Andy said, "Mash the killer to death?"

"This has an intense pressure from 52 psi to 90 psi that could take off your head!"  Dwight defended.

"Oh my, watch out he may bake us!" Andy shrieked in mock fear.  "I'm so a-fried!"

Dwight glared at him and was placing the gun down when his finger hit the trigger and a hard potato streaked across the room.  Pam bent down just as it flew past her head and ricocheted against the wall and knocked Pam's painting off the wall.  The painting and potato fell with a thud to the floor.  Pam, pale and wide-eyed, looked over at Dwight who threw the potato gun down quickly as if it were on fire

"Jeez Dwight!"  Oscar yelled from across the room, "Put that damn thing away!"

Pam went over and picked up the painting.  She was thankful that Michael had been too cheap to buy a glass frame and instead purchased a plastic one.  She hung it back in place and glanced over at Dwight.  He smiled weakly and placed the gun in his desk.

Michael was the last to arrive and it was clear that he that timed it that way.  He stood at the entrance and watched everyone working.  He wanted his world the way it was before the murder. 

He said hello to Pam and she grinned back.  He looked quickly at Jim's desk and then retreated to his office.  He closed the blinds and door.  Pam saw that everyone was settled in and working.  She stood up and went to Michael's office. 

"Hi Michael."  Pam poked her head in and said softly.  Michael looked up and gave her a large, exaggerated smile.

"Oh hey Pam."  Michael said, "Come in, come in.  Close the door."

"You look...scared Michael."  Pam stated.

"Oh, I'm not scared!"  Michael said flustered.  He moved some things around his desk and avoided her eyes. "Just a little...concerned about my peeps.  Hard to have fun in a place where a person was killed.  Kind of a bummer."

"You know that they think Jim did it."  Pam said.

"I know!"  Michael replied then dropped his voice to a whisper. "But Jan thinks he is innocent.  Which means that maybe...someone...out there did it!  I don't know what to do.  She said I couldn't stay at home.  She made me come in today!"

"We have to get back to work to keep the company going."  Pam suggested, "Do you want them to close the branch?"

"No, no!"  Michael said, "But what do I do?"

"Well, Michael, you're a smart man."  Pam said seriously, "This is your office.   You're like the...Sheriff here."  Michael's face perked up. "Maybe you need to call a meeting and clear the air?"

Michael ran this through his head. "Yeah, and if we are all in the same room, then no one can kill me, uh anyone else!"

"Okay, that's good too."  Pam answered. "Maybe, as head of the office, you could ask them some questions of your own.  Dwight did work at the Sheriff's office, he could help you.  Be like your deputy."

"Yeah!"  Michael replied with relief.  "I guess you're right!  Maybe I could solve the crime!  Man, corporate would so like that!"

"You might get an even bigger bonus if you flushed the killer out."  Pam replied.

"Thank you Pam."  Michael said.  "I could solve this.  I have lots of skills in detection.  I have seen every episode of Law & Order and C.S.I.!"

"You're the man to do it."  Pam encouraged and nodded, "I absolutely believe you could do it."

Michael stood up and marched towards the door. "I can fix this.  I'm the Sheriff."

"You go Sheriff Scott."  Pam goaded.

Michael walked into the main office at the exact time that Todd Packer entered.  Packer walked over to Michael and slapped him on the shoulder.

"Damn Scott!"  Packer said boisterously, "What is this I hear about someone getting massacred in your office?"

"Yeah, Roy was killed."  Michael replied. "They arrested Jim."

"Halpert!"  Packer shouted, "What was it, some kind of queer fight?"

"No, Roy wasn't gay."  Michael said and pointed at Pam.  "He was once engaged to Pam."

Packer looked over at Pam. "Wow, sorry about that Sweetheart.  So you're single now?"  Pam scowled back at Packer and patted Michael on the shoulder to remind him of his task.

"Oh, yes. Packer I'm kinda busy buddy, but hang around.  There's numbers in safety."  Michael stated.  He looked around the room and said loudly.  "People, we are going to have a meeting at 10:00am and get this situation on the table.  Dwight, see me in my office for a second."

Dwight jumped out of his seat and practically ran to Michael's office.

End Notes:
Reviews are fuel to my typing fingers. 8-) 
Chapter 20 - The Meeting by Ellelque
Everyone gathered in the conference room.  It was a tight fit, because all the warehouse employees were included.  Pam sat in the back corner.  It approximated a good view of everyone in the room without looking to obvious.

Michael stood at the front of the group next to his large paper pad, holding a black marker.  He was sweating slightly in the cool air conditioned atmosphere.  Everybody was looking uncomfortable and curious at the same time.

"I know that we have had a recent...tragedy."  Michael said and he swayed on his feet.  "I also know that one of our own has been arrested in suspicion of this crime.  Jan feels that Jim Halpert is innocent.  I...believe that the circumcisions are correct."  There was a small laugh in the audience.

"This is very serious folks!"  Michael snapped.  "We may have a killer in our mist!"  There was another giggle.

"I have decided to do an...internal investigation."  Michael stated. "I think that it is important that we come together..."

"That's what she said!"  Interrupted some of the voices in the room.  Michael had to give a small laugh.

"And come up with our own clues."  Michael replied.  "I'm going to ask each of you where you were the night that the...tragedy occurred."

"Isn't that kind of personal?"  Angela replied.

"We have a death here people!"  Michael stated, "I think that has presidents...precedence."

"Michael, we told this to the cops."  Darryl said.

"I know, I know, but they just took that information and used it to put an innocent man in jail."  Michael replied.

"Who knows if Jim is innocent?"  Asked Packer.  Most of the employees in the room cast disgusted looks at Packer.

"He's innocent!"  Pam declared and every head turned to her for a moment. "Come on, you know Jim. He couldn't do something like this."

"Packer we are going to assume he is innocent."  Michael said.

"Well you know what assume means!"  Packer interjected, "You make an ass..."

"Do you work at this branch?"  Darryl interrupted.  "What's your ass doing here?"

Packer looked over at Darryl, Madge and Lonny.  They stood and stared Packer down.  He adjusted his tie and scrunched down in his seat.

"So, let's begin."  Michael said, "I have come up with a list of questions."

"That I helped with!"  Dwight interjected.

"That...Dwight was there when I wrote them down." Michael said quickly.

"I formatted the question..." Dwight said. 

"Dwight, shut up."  Michael said between clenched teeth.  Dwight sat down and quieted.

"First question, what were you doing that...night?"  Michael inquired. "Toby?"

"I was home."  Toby said, "Alone."

"Of course."  Michael replied and wrote Toby's name on the board with the words Home - Loser next to it.  He gave Toby a suspicious look.  "Now, Kevin?"

"Uh, I was at Poor Richards."  Kevin whimpered, "And then I went home!  The police cleared me!"

"It's true, I saw him there."  Meredith raised her hand and stated.

"Good, that's two alibis at once."  Michael wrote their names down and added Drunk at Bar.

 "Phyllis?"  Michael said and pointed at her.

"I...I was with Bob Vance."  Phyllis replied, "We were watching television."

"What were you watching?"  Michael asked.

"Uh, it was something on Showtime."  Phyllis said and smiled, looking around.  "Bob Vance likes cable.  We have all the channels."

Michael wrote Phyllis and Bob's names down with the words Boob Tube.  "Andy Bernard."

"I sir, was with a fair young lass I met at the Starbucks."  Andy bragged and smiled.  He puffed out his chest. "I don't remember her name..."

"Okay."  Michael wrote Andy's name and the word Alone at Home.

"Dwight?"  Michael inquired and looked over at Dwight, who nervously looked over at Angela.  She glared back.

"I was with someone."  Dwight said evasively.  He avoided Michael's gaze.  The people in the room who had started to bore of the inquisition perked up.  They all looked at Dwight.

"Who?"  Michael prodded. "Your imaginary girlfriend?"

"I do not wish to answer that question."  Dwight said firmly.

"Dwight, why do you have that guilty look on your face?"  Michael said in amazement.  "You're blushing!"

"I'm not blushing!"  Dwight answered.

"Then answer the man's damn question."  Lonny said assertively, looking closely at Dwight.

"Okay!"  Angela burst out.  "He was with me!"

As if it was a tennis match, everyone's eyes pivoted from Dwight to Angela at the same time.  The surprise on their face was as awestruck as it would have been had she confessed to Roy's murder.  She looked down angry and crossed her arms defensively.

"Dwight, is that true?"  Michael asked an amazed look on his face. "What were you doing...teaching her how to plow beets?"

"That's a new name for it!"  Andy snickered.

"That's what she said!"  Kevin laughed.

"For your information.  Angela and I have been...seeing each other."  Dwight said and avoided Angela's eyes.  "She was with me that night."

"The whole night?"  Michael asked incredulously.

"Yes, you pervert."  Angela said, refusing to meet anyone's eyes. "I was with Dwight the entire night.  All night."  Dwight looked surprised at her candid outburst.

Michael shrugged and wrote Dwight and Angela's together name on the paper with the words Unbelievable! next to their name.  "Oscar, just tell me you were with someone.  Don't give me the homo...dirty details."

"Yes, Michael."  Oscar said annoyed, "I was with my lover Gil."

Michael wrote Oscar's name down and the word Gay Partner next to it.  "Creed, where were you?"

"I was having a lustful night with my lady friend.  Her name is Katy, she sales purses."  Creed said brightly.  Michael stared at him for a second.  He figured that Creed had to be talking about a totally different Katy.  He wrote Creed - Purse Sex.

"Ryan and Kelly, were you together that night?"  Michael asked and Kelly shook her head happily, while Ryan nodded gloomily.  Michael added wrote Freak Love, next to their names.  He looked over to Karen.  She gave him a challenging look. 

"I assume Jim was not your alibi, since he's in jail?"  Michael said uneasily.

"No, I was on the phone with him part of the time."  She said and glanced over at Pam.  "I was at home, by myself, playing solitaire on my computer."  Michael wrote Karen's name and the words Playing with Self.  Kevin giggled, Karen sneered at Michael.

"Darryl?" Michael asked and looked over at Darryl lounging against the wall.

"I don't know why you are making us take part in the circus act Michael?"  Darryl replied.  "I've got paper to move man."

"Dinka Flicka."  Michael said, "Just be cool with me on this, man."

"Okay, I'll play along."  Darryl sat up, "I was at a baseball game with my cousin.  You want the stubs?"  Michael shook his head no and wrote Darryl - Baseball.

Stanley told him he was home with his family and Michael wrote - Stanley - Home with Wife.  This went on through the people in the warehouse until the list was full.  Pam knew that Michael would have her type the list up later.  She would keep a copy for herself.

Michael proceeded with his next question.  "How much did everyone know Roy?"

"I guess I can avoid Pam and the warehouse staff."  Michael said, "I know that you were close to him.  Kevin, you owed him money?"

"Yes, the police cleared me Michael!"  Kevin shrieked.  "I didn't do it!"

Michael raised his hand to calm Kevin down. "Don't freak out Kevin.  I'm just getting it out of the way dude."  He wrote Kevin with the words owed money.

"Meredith, you and Kevin knew him from Poor Richards?"  Michael asked.

"We just drank together."  Meredith said, "We didn't socialize."

Michael wrote this on the board. "Did you like Roy?"

"Sure when he bought me drinks."  Meredith answered and shrugged.  "Roy was an okay guy."

"Did you ever see him in a fight?"  Pam asked from the back and everyone turned to look at her.

"Yeah, he got into some fights?"  Meredith replied and laughed.  "He almost kicked Andy's ass one night!"

"He put the moves on Karen one night!"  Andy said quickly, hoping to divert attention from himself.  Karen shot him a dirty look.

"One night Jim was out of town at his parent's."  Karen said dryly.  "I went to Poor Richards with a girlfriend.  He was there and drunk.  He hit on me. I turned him down.  Case closed."

Michael was writing as fast as he could keep up with all the information.  Pam stared at Karen amazed that this information was true.

"Was this before or after we were dating?"  Pam asked.  Karen glanced over at her with a guilty look on her face.

"I assumed you weren't dating."  Karen said.  The entire room was watching her.  She flushed slightly. "I heard he left to meet some girl later that evening."

"How did you know that it wasn't me?"  Pam pursued the topic.

"Well, it was way after last call and I overheard his brother, Kenny, say Roy was getting some hot action."  Karen said.  "I just didn't think you...were..."

"Hot action?"  Pam finished for her.  Karen looked at the room of eyes staring at her.

"What?"  Karen said defensively, "I would assume that's a compliment!"

"Come on ladies!"  Michael interrupted, "This isn't a cat fight!  Is it?"

"This is a waste of time!"  Angela said quickly and stood to leave.  "I have payroll to work on."

"You know Michael."  Darryl said and he stood. "As much as I'd like to play Columbo with you, I have a warehouse to run.  Come on."  He signaled to his warehouse workers.  They stood and started to leave.

"I've got some sales calls to make."  Stanley said and joined Darryl and the others out the door.

"I have better things to do than sit in here and be ambushed by Dick Tracy!"  Karen said angrily and stomped out.

Michael dodged as almost everyone stood and brushed past him.  He tried to but no one was listening to him at this point.  They all filed out and left Michael, Pam and Dwight.  Pam came up to Michael.

"It's okay, you tried."  Pam said sympathetically.

"I definitely sensed a guilty being in this room."  Dwight stated.

"Shut up Dwight!"  Michael said and retreated to his office.

The killer stood near the break room and watched as Michael went back into his office.  Pam walked back to her desk.  She was carrying the large paper pad list of alibis.  Pam was getting way too involved for comfort.  She needed to be watched more closely.

End Notes:
Thanks again LeBow, and to all you people who take the time to review.  My little fingers are smoking on the next chapter.  We are thisclose to the reveal.
Chapter 21 - The Warning by Ellelque
Pam spent the better part of the work day going over the list of alibis.  This was a difficult task because of constant interruptions.  She had the list on her computer, which was in a position for anyone standing at her desk to see.  So she had to keep closing the screen every few minutes.  She tried by process of elimination to figure out the murderer.  It had been fruitless, because she was not in a position to check out many of the alibis.

She looked at the clock and saw that she still had 4 hours left before the visiting times at the jail would be over.  She wanted to see Jim today.  She wouldn't let a day go by that he didn't know she was there for him.  She went into Michael's office.  He was playing solitaire on his computer and looked miserable.

"Michael, can I leave in an hour."  Pam asked. "I want to visit Jim today."

"In jail?"  Michael asked. "Isn't Karen visiting him?"

"They broke up."  Pam replied.

"She broke up while he was in jail?"  Michael asked.  "Man that is cold!  Maybe she killed him? I mean she looks like she could do it.  She had access to frame him."

"Yeah, I had thought of that."  Pam said, "But the break up was mutual.  I don't think we could prove she killed Roy.  She really didn't have a motive."

"A woman doesn't necessarily need a motive Pam."  Michael said, "The female can be a cold and calculating species.  Maybe it was her time of the month?"

"Michael, I don't think having periods is enough motive to kill."  Pam replied.

"You've never seen Jan about that time." Michael said and shuddered. "Makes me glad she and I live in separate states.  I don't know what I would do if she lived here!"

"So can I go?"  Pam asked.

"Sure, but first I need you to wait for me outside of the bathroom."  Michael said.

"What?"  Pam asked.

"You're the only one who I know for sure didn't kill Roy."  Michael said.  "I'm not leaving this office and go into the bathroom with just anyone.  I need you to stand guard."

"Don't you think Dwight would be much better suited?"  Pam asked.

"Dwight couldn't guard his way out of...a prison."  Michael said and Pam looked confused.

"Okay, I'll loiter in the kitchen while you are in there.  But I'm not checking the bathroom out for you."  She insisted.

"Jeez, what good are you."  Michael said, "Okay, let's go."

They went into the kitchen and Michael placed his head in the bathroom and yelled.  No one answered.  He went in and Pam stood at the kitchen sink.  He finally came out and she "escorted" him back to his office.

It seemed that every employee had a reason for coming to her desk today.  Some employees wanted jellybeans.  Some people were seeking messages or office supplies.  Karen came up and asked her to make some copies.  She looked at the document and noticed it was Karen's résumé.

"You're looking for another job?"  Pam inquired.

"Might as well."  Karen said and shrugged, "There's nothing for me here."

"But don't you want to see that Jim is freed?"  Pam inquired.

"Why?"  Karen answered, "He doesn't need me.  He has you now."

Pam flushed and looked down at her keyboard.  Karen stood for a second and contemplated what to say next.

"Listen."  Karen began, "I know I have not been the most understanding person.  But you...you did sort of take my boyfriend and..."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."  Pam started.

"No, I know that."  Karen replied. "I guess that there are just too many people in this relationship.  You and Jim were made for each other. I'm just sorry that you didn't figure it out earlier. I'll be just fine."

"You...are a very good person."  Pam tried to find the right words. "I'm sure you'll find someone who's...right for you."

"Maybe I will."  Karen said.  She looked around and gave a small smirk. "I'm sure not going to find it here.  But, you stand by Jim.  If I find out that you hurt him, I'll come back for you."

"I promise."  Pam said and Karen smiled and went back to her desk.  Pam stood and went to the copier.  She took out some attractive, manila, parchment paper and proceeded to make multiple copies of Karen's résumé.  Standing at the copier, she could see Angela sitting at her desk.  Angela looked glum and she sat staring at her computer spreadsheet of numbers.

"You okay Angela?"  Pam asked.  She knew Angela was a private person and had not liked revealing her relationship with Dwight.

"I'll be fine."  Angela snapped. "I just wish people would stay out of my business.  People need to keep their minds in their own back yards."

"Sorry Angela."  Pam apologized.  "I just saw that you looked bothered."

"Oh, I know you mean no harm."  Angela said and gave a thin smile to Pam.  "Dwight is every bit a gentleman.  I just wish it had stayed private.  I'm just not used to flaunting my romantic life the way that you do."

Pam bent to get the stapled copies off the copier tray and rolled her eyes.  She smiled at Angela and walked over to Karen's desk.  She laid the résumés on Karen's desktop.  Karen was not around.

After she got back to her own computer Pam printed off the alibi list.  She started putting her things away then shut off her computer.

"You're leaving early?"  Kevin asked.  He was standing at her counter and grabbing his 10th handful of jellybeans that day.

"Yes, I'm going to go see Jim."  She said and stuffed the alibi list in her purse.

"Tell him I'm stealing all his customers while he is in the Brig."  Andy joked.

"Yes, I'm sure that would be very appropriate Andy."  Oscar said dryly as he walked past.  "Maybe then she could tell him that they have video of him actually committing the crime.  I know it's important to you that he not be depressed."  He said sarcastically.

"I could tell him that they suspect Andy?"  Pam said to Oscar. "That would lighten his mood."  Andy frowned and looked away.

"Tell him I said hello."  Oscar said.  "I'll come and see him tomorrow.  I have a file baked in a cake for him."  Pam gave a little laugh and looped her purse on to her arm.

"I will."  She said and made her way to the door.  She tapped on Michael's window and waved at him.  He gave a strained smile and waved back.

Pam went down the elevator and walked to her car.  She wondered if she should go home and change first.  She hated for Jim to see her in the drab office clothes.  But time was winding down and she wanted to spend all the time she could with him.

She went to her car door and was startled.  She drew in a sharp breath.  In the rubber insulation of her driver's side door was a pair of gleaming scissors.  They were coated in dried blood and stabbed into the black rubber.  Pam stood in shock and stared at them.  Then she looked around to see if anyone was watching her in the parking lot.  She looked up at the building's windows and saw the slight movement of one set of blinds.  She didn't know if someone had been watching her or if it was a trick of the sunlight.  She took a deep breath.  Her heart was racing.  She felt cold fear creeping up her body.

She opened the car door and reached in.  She released the glove compartment and took out a plastic bag that she kept for cleaning out the car.  Putting her hands in the bag, she pulled at the scissors and enclosed them into the plastic.  She took care not to wipe anything like prints off the metallic edges.

Pam considered going into the building and telling Michael.  But, she knew he would just panic and probably ruin any other evidence.  She didn't want to bring the police back here and stress everyone in the office further.  She also didn't want to be here at this moment.  She was terrified.  Pam got into her car and drove straight to the police department.

Chapter 22 - The Discovery by Ellelque
Pam sat in her car outside the police department.  She had her forehead resting on the steering wheel and was crying with frustration.  She had brought the evidence, bloody scissors, directly to the police.  This was proof that the killer was not Jim, who was currently in jail. They had to let him out!  It was someone in the office.  Someone she knew.  Someone, who knew her.

The detectives took the evidence and her statement.  Then the police told her they would get back with her.  She asked them why they didn't let Jim out of jail.  The scissors were evidence that Jim wasn't the killer.  Detective Edwards gave her a patronizing smile and told her that the other evidence was still very strong.  They may have to take into account that Jim probably had an accomplice. 

Pam uncharacteristically called him a moron and slammed angrily out of the station.  She stomped to her car and then realized that she had only 1 hour before visiting hours were over.  She floored it to the jail about a mile away.

Pam waited in the visiting pod.  Jim came in and gave her a big toothy grin.  She looked beautiful and he wanted to hold her so bad.  But, he noticed she looked troubled too.  Her eyes were puffy from crying.

"What's the matter Pam?"  He said as he sat and leaned in towards her.  His big grey eyes were weary, but concerned.

"Someone stuck a pair of bloody scissors into my car window insulation."  Pam said in alarm.  "Someone is warning me off!"

"Oh my God Pam!"  Jim said in shock and horror.  "Baby, you have to stay out of this and be safe!"

"But Jim, don't you see?"  Pam said, suddenly excited, "I have the killer's attention.  They had to of been scared to take that chance!"

"Oh Pam, I don't like this."  Jim replied shaking his head.  He reached up and touched the glass. "Promise me you'll stop and let the police handle it."

"Jim!  I took the evidence to them!"  Pam howled, "They just took it and brushed me off!  They don't care!  Now they wonder if you have an accomplice!"

Jim sat back and frowned, "I know this is difficult.  I know they're not working as fast as we want.  But you have to stay out of this Pam.  Someone is going to hurt you!  Then I might as well never get out of here because I can't live without you.  Don't you see that?"

"Yes, I do."  She replied and leaned closer to the glass. "But Jim, I may be able to flush the killer out.  I can't let them lock you up for something you didn't do.  I can't lose you again!"

"Pam, please."  He said softly, "Please don't do anything else.  Go spend a few days with your parents.  Go somewhere until this blows over.  Just be safe."

There was an announcement over the public address system that visiting hours were now over.  Jim looked panicked.  "Pam, promise me that you'll stop nosing around!  I can't lose you!"

She looked at him and nodded her head.  "Okay, Jim I'll be safe.  Please don't worry."

"That's like asking me not to breathe."  Jim responded.  There was a tap on the pod door.  They looked to see a guard pointing at his watch.  "Damn, I don't want to go!"

"Well, last thing you need is to get in trouble for bad behavior."  Pam insisted.  "Go on, I'll be okay."

"I love you Pam."  Jim said and he gazed at her.  "Please stay out of trouble."

"I love you too Jim." Pam replied and she blew him a small kiss as he was escorted back to his cell.

Pam walked out of the jail and to her car.  There were still some remnants of black printing powder on the driver's side door.  While she had been talking to the cops, the detectives had sent a crime tech to dust her car while she was inside the station.  Pam slid into the driver's seat and sat back.  She wasn't ready to go home.  She needed to think.

There was one place that she had access to that may contain evidence.  The police had searched Roy's apartment, but they didn't know Roy like she had.  She knew she could find the hide-a-key next to the front door.  She would go there and do one last bit of sleuthing.

She had promised Jim that she would be safe.  She wanted to keep that promise.  But she knew that she had to keep looking.  If she was going to get her man back then she was going to have to suck it up.

Pam started the car and drove to Roy's apartment.

 

*  *  *

 

Pam reached Roy's apartment just as the sun was descending.  She parked the car a block away from the small complex and waited for the sun to fully set.  She reclined in the front seat and thought of Jim. Pam wondered if she would ever be able to kiss him again.  She remembered for a minute his kiss on Casino Night.  The electricity of his lips on hers was intoxicating. He tasted slightly of the scotch he had been drinking and his lips were so soft.  She had felt the kiss to her toes.  Even the guilt of Roy had not been enough to keep her from reaching up and pulling his head closer for a second. 

Pam thought of the moment that Jim told her he loved her.  She somehow had known all along, but blindly pushed it back.  It had taken a lot of courage for Jim to say those words.  He knew that once he crossed that line there would be no going back.  But he had said he just needed her to know once.  She wanted more.

Looking around the area for any other people, Pam saw that the street was empty.  She got out of the car.  Walking in the shadows, Pam was able to make it to Roy's door unseen.  She bent over and lifted up a little green frog planter that had a dying cactus in it.  The cactus had been thriving when she lived here and Pam noted the irony. The door key was nestled underneath the pot.

Pam looked over her shoulder and saw no one in view.  She unlocked the door and slip into the small hallway.  The place was bathed in darkness.  Pam pulled out a small flashlight that she kept in the car for emergencies.  The hall was barren.  All the feminine, flower prints she had once hung were gone.  There was a stale smell of old beer in the air. 

Pam walked into the living room.  She played the light over the area.  There was the gold glimmer of Roy's old high school trophies on a shelf in the corner.  The trophies had been packed away per Pam's decorating taste.  After the break up, Roy must have unpacked them.  The television was a little larger than the one she left with.  Roy had always wanted a big television for games.  Pam became choked up for a second when she saw an old photo of her and Roy on the wall.  It had been taken in the Poconos.  She was on Roy's shoulders and they were waving and smiling from the dock.  She had thought she was so happy then.

Pam walked into the kitchen and looked through the cupboard and sink.  Housekeeping had not been one of Roy's strongest assets.  The sink had dirty dishes piled in it.  The garbage had not been emptied.  There were stacks of old beer cans in the window.  Pam figured that's where the household scent was coming from.  Other than the filth, nothing was out of place in the kitchen.  Pam made her way into the bathroom.  She pointed the light around the small room and saw movement in her right peripheral.  She jumped and gave a small shriek!

Pam almost fainted and then looking in that direction, she breathed in relief at the realization that it was only her reflection in the bathroom mirror.  Pam steadied herself against the sink counter.  There were no strange medications in the cabinet.  She noticed that Roy had started to vainly use Rogaine to prevent baldness.  He had a couple of tubes of athletes' foot cream and some Alka-Seltzer.  She also noticed that the one narcotic, a small bottle of Ambien that Roy had for a short bout of insomnia, was missing.  The shower was littered with empty shampoo bottles and a half bar of Irish Spring soap.

The hallway walls to the bedroom were now empty of Pam's art.  She went into the bedroom.  The bed was unmade.  The green sheets were tousled and there was a pair of boxers crumpled on the floor. The boxers were a pair that Pam was familiar with.  They were black and had tiny dice printed on them.  She stepped over them and went into the closet.  Roy's clothes were hung up haphazardly and his shoes were piles in the bottom.  There was the smell of dirty sneakers in the closet.

Pam looked around the room with the flashlight beam.  The drawers in the bedside table held nothing but a few penthouse magazines and a half empty industrial-sized box of condoms.  Pam's eyebrows rose slightly at her discovery.  Roy had been a busy little boy since their split.

She left the room and went back to the living room.  Again, she ran the light over the tan, over-stuffed, suede couch and hardwood coffee table.  Everything looked as she remembered.  Some things had been shuffled around.  Almost everything was coated with a thin layer of dust.  You could see where the CSI had dusted for finger prints.  The light caught the glitter of the trophies again.  Pam walked to the shelf.  The glow twinkled on the football, baseball and golf trophies.  Golf?  Pam looked closely at the golf trophy.

Roy had never played golf. He thought golf was for pussies.  He had said so himself many times.  He felt that real sports had to involve action and sweat, not hitting a tiny ball on a nice green.  Pam put the flashlight under her arm and reached for the golf trophy.  She looked at the little gold statue of the golfing man.  The inscription read World's Best Golfer.  Pam smiled to herself.  It had to be a gag gift.  The trophy felt light and made a little hollow noise when she shook it.  She reached under the bottom and the base opened up.  It had a false bottom.  Something was hidden inside!

Pam reached in and took out an envelope.  She set the trophy down and opened the envelope, adjusting the flashlight around.  With the photos in her hand she used the flashlight to look at the pictures.  Pam's eyes grew wide with surprise.  She gasped and shuffled through the stack.  Each picture telling her a very strange truth!

"You just couldn't leave it alone could you?  You just couldn't take my warning to stay the hell away!"  Came an angry voice behind her.  Pam jolted, whirled around in surprise and gasped.

Chapter 23 - The Reveal by Ellelque
"Angela!"  Pam gasped.  "What are you...?"

Angela stood in front of her, Pam's flashlight making her glow eerily.  She looked flushed and angry.  In her right hand was a large knife.  Pam eyes fall to the knife and she drew in her breath.

"Why?"  Pam asked, her blood draining out of her face.  She backed up instinctively, her legs felt weak.

"You saw the photos!"  Angela snarled, "He just couldn't understand!"

"Understand what?"  Pam asked, hoping to draw out the conversation until she could think of what to do.

"I was the one he should have dated!  I was the one he should have been engaged to!"  Angela said bitterly.  "But he just couldn't let go of you.  His sweet and innocent Pam!  All the while you and Jim were practically fornicating in the office!"

"Angela, we broke up."  Pam said as calmly as she could.  There was a small shake in her voice.  "You could have gotten him.  I wasn't a factor anymore."

"Don't you get it?"  Angela screamed and took a threatening step towards her.  "He didn't think I was good enough!"

 

Flashback 9:45 pm Tuesday Night

 

Roy walked down the hallway towards the office door.  He felt uncomfortable coming back to the office.  He always felt like a failure when he went back to an old job location.  He didn't understand why Angela couldn't just mail him the damn.  She had always been so secretive.  That had been a quality he liked about her once.  Now he just found it and her annoying.  He knocked on the office door. 

Angela opened the door.  She was wearing a baby blue silk blouse and a tan skirt.  Her hair was pulled back into a soft chignon.  There was a time when Roy found this church lady get up sexy.  Especially because he knew what a freak she was in sack.  Now he just found her pitiful.  She smiled sexily up at him then turned and led him into the office.

"I'm so glad you could come."  Angela said sweetly.

"Well you didn't give me much choice."  Roy said irritated.  "You said there was another check. Accrued vacation pay?  You could've just mailed it."

"But I wanted to see you again."  Angela replied, "You're never home and I keep getting your voice mail."  She walked towards the break room.  "I am parched Roy, let me get a juice and then I'll get you the check."  Roy lumbered impatiently behind her.

They walked into the break room and Angela went to the vending machine and put in some coins.  Roy noticed that someone had been making some paper displays in the break room.  There was a jar of markers and a pair of scissors on one of the tables.  He turned to see Angela bend down provocatively and retrieve her juice.  She stood and smiled.  She popped the lid and took a long drink.  Then she put the can into the garbage.  Roy began to get aggravated.

"Can we just get the check Angela?"  He asked.  She walked up to him and placed her palm on his chest.

"Do you have a thirst Roy?"  Angela purred. "I still have one."  She ran her hand down to his belt buckle.  Roy pushed her hand away gently and stepped back.

"I told you that this can't happen again."  He said stiffly, "I told you it was over."

"Why do you keep saying that?"  Angela said, uncomprehending.  "Are you and Pam getting back together again?  "

"No, I don't think we are. I accept that now and I'm okay with it."  Roy replied, "You're a nice person, Angela and we had some great times.  But this is over once and for all."

"Now that you're finally single, it's over?"  She said growing angry.  "But when you were with Pam it was okay?"

"I just want a fresh start in life.  I'm getting a new job, maybe one day, a new relationship. I do care for you."  Roy said gently, "But you knew this was going nowhere.  We had fun, but I just don't want to be with you anymore.  Can't you get it?"

Angela gazed at Roy.  He was so tall and rugged.  He was wearing a green flannel shirt and his face had a slight five o'clock shadow.  He had always seemed so masculine and strong.  He was the type of man that she wanted to end up with.  She crossed her arms and glared up at him.  Roy saw something totally different.  He looked at Angela and saw a desperate and controlling woman.  He knew that she was the kind of woman who would stroke him one moment and then claw him the next.  He couldn't end up with someone so unstable.

"Why not?"  Angela sneered.  "I was good enough to screw behind your girlfriend's back, but not good enough to BE your girlfriend!  I waited two years for you!  I sat back and watched you play house with her.  I even accepted when you actually set a date!  I knew it wouldn't work out with her!  Not with her obvious thing with Jim. She stops the wedding and you still pine for her!  All the while you're fucking me every chance you got!  I gave you everything I had!"

"Hey, you weren't alone!"  Roy answered.  His anger was ignited by hers.  "You have that thing with Dwight!  You could make it work with him!"

"Dwight isn't a relationship!"  Angela shrieked, "Dwight is exercise!  I wanted you!"

Angela walked over and looked at him pleadingly.  She put her arms around his neck and tried to kiss him.  She seemed off balance and erratic in her outburst.  Roy was getting very uncomfortable.

"Angela, you just don't get it!"  Roy bellowed and then quieted his voice in pity.  "I just know I could never love you."  He gently pushed her away.  Angela reacted as if he had punched her.  Her face reddened and she looked fiercely up at him.

"So, you used me!"  She screamed.  "Now you're just gonna walk away and forget me!  You white trash, redneck idiot!  You're never going to have a decent job!  You'll just screw it up!  No wonder Pam fell for someone else!  Who the hell would want a wasted piece of crap like you?"

"If I'm trash, then why are you throwing yourself at me like some desperate, pathetic bitch?"  Roy howled back. "You want to know why I won't date you!  Miss Hot and Cold!  Because, I'd be ashamed to be seen with your prudish ass in public!  You Fucking Freak!"

Angela flew into a rage and her hand found the pair of scissors on the table next to her.  Before she could really think she grabbed them, drew them over her head and plunged them into Roy's neck.  Roy went wide-eyed with surprise.  He didn't respond fast enough.  He just didn't see it coming. 

He reached for his throat and the scissors, but blood had started gushing blood out of the wound.  He pulled out the slippery scissors, but that only increased the red flow. The arterial spray reached across the room and covered the walls and vending machine.  He looked helplessly at Angela and his legs buckled.  He had his hands to his throat and he fell backwards.  His life was draining from him and pooling on the floor. 

Angela stood motionless and watched him die.  Her breathing calmed and she held her hands to her side in shock.  A fine crimson spray had drenched her blonde hair and speckled her face.  The blood soaked into her shirt and ran down to her skirt.  She watched as the light went out of Roy's eyes and his breathing stopped.

She stood for what felt like hours, but was actually five minutes. Angela started to feel a little panic flutter in her stomach.  What was she going to do?  She couldn't move the body by herself.  She couldn't get all the blood off the walls and floor. She had to come up with a plan. Then she heard the sound of the office front door lock click.

 

Present Day

 

"I'm so sorry Roy hurt you Angela."  Pam said softly, stalling for time.  "But, maybe you could say it was self defense?" 

  Angela gave a horrible laugh, "You think I can claim self-defense after I set up Jim?  Do you think the cops are going to accept that after they see those photos?"  She pointed to the pictures that Pam had dropped on the floor.

They were erotic photos of Angela and Roy having sex.  Angela was posed in various sexy outfits.  There were pictures of Angela naked, pleasing Roy with oral sex.  There were shots of both of them in different sexual positions.

 "This isn't you Angela."  Pam said, "I'm sure Roy just talked you into this.  You were dating Dwight.  He loves you."

"Dwight is an idiot!"  Angela shrieked.  "I could never marry Dwight!"

Pam wondered if she was going crazy.  In that instant, as if by magic, Dwight came into the room behind Angela.  He crept slowly and Pam caught a glimpse of him.  She was already in shock, so seeing Dwight must not have registered on her face.  Dwight was in the shadows and he placed his finger over his mouth in a signal of silence. Pam wondered what she could say to distract Angela.

She looked back at Angela, who was shifting her gaze between Pam and the photos.  Pam's flashlight was pointed down and illuminating a picture of Angela and Roy naked and in a complicated sexual position.  Angela shifted the knife to the other hand. 

"I knew he had them.  But I just couldn't find them."  Angela said coldly.  "I tore this place apart.  But of course, Pammy saves the day and finds them!"

 "But Angela, Dwight loves you."  Pam pleaded.  "Roy was never good enough for you.  He wasn't the type to be faithful and true to a woman.  He never cared for anyone but himself."

"What?"  Angela stared at Pam in fury.  "You think I should marry Dwight and have a couple Shrutettes and waste away on a beet farm?  Roy made me feel whole!  We would have made it.  He just needed the right woman to guide him! It was you who was not good enough for him!"

"What are you going to do now?"  Pam asked nervously.  "You know that you can't get away now.  Are we going to fix this?"

"We?  There's no we!"  Her eyes were crazy with anger.  Angela raged and said in a little girl voice.  "You see, Pam was very upset that her new boyfriend had killed her old fiancé.  She let herself in Roy's apartment and she committed suicide!  Case Closed!"

"Commit suicide by stabbing myself?"  Pam asked and moved back farther.  Dwight was standing quietly and feeling around for a light switch.

"That, I may have to do.  I can think of how to arrange it later.  I did that with Jim.  It worked out great."  Angela said wildly.  Her eyes were bright with excitement.  "Or, you could hang yourself and die less painfully.  You decide!"

There was a bright flash of light overhead as a light switch was turned on.  It startled Angela and she looked towards the light source.

"I don't think that's how the story is going to end Angela!"  Dwight's voice came from behind her.  Angela turned sideways and looked at Dwight in surprise.  She still held the knife, so Pam stayed rooted in her spot.

"Oh, Dwight!"  Angela begged in a small sing-song voice. "Pam killed Roy and she is trying to frame me!"  You have to help me!"

"Too late Monkey!"  Dwight said curtly, "I heard everything."  He held up his hand that was armed with a potato gun.

"Oh God!"  Angela laughed crazily.  "You think you can stop me with a potato gun!  You are such a damn loser!"  She raised the knife in his direction. 

Dwight pulled the trigger and a hard potato flew out and slammed into Angela's forehead.  She swayed back slightly. Seeing her opportunity, Pam grabbed the trophy and slammed it on the side of Angela's head.  Angela fell to the ground and the knife slid out of her hand.  Pam lunged down and grabbed the knife.  Dwight walked up and looked down at Angela.  She was sprawled out on the floor.  The illicit photos splayed around her body.  Her eyes were open and she was awake, but dazed.

"I think we should stop seeing each other Angela."  Dwight said firmly.  "Pam, call the authorities."

"How'd you know Dwight?"  Pam asked, sliding down on the couch.  She gripped the knife tightly.

"She lied today and I caught it. She said she was with me the entire night."  Dwight said and he watched Angela as he talked.  "I had talked to Mose.  He sleeps in the barn and saw her leave and come back that night.  I found an empty bottle of Ambien in the garbage.  Schrutes don't do drugs.  She must have drugged me.  That's why I was so sleepy the next day.  Schrutes have excellent body clocks.  We never over sleep."

Pam reached for the phone on a side table and asked.  "How did you know where we were?"

"I had her under surveillance, while she was following you.  When she came in here after you, I tagged along."

"I'm sorry she said those horrible things about you."  Pam said sympathetically.

"I'll be okay."  Dwight said and mentally shook it off.  "I'm not sure I wanted my DNA mixing with hers either."

Pam dialed 911.

 

Later

 

It was 3:00 in the morning, but Jim wasn't asleep.  He lay back on the hard bunk and used his arm as a pillow.  He was being serenaded by the thunderous snores of the 280 lbs biker asleep in the overhead bunk.  Jim had never felt so despondent in his life.

He knew he was not in immediate danger.  Binky was actually a pretty decent and kind man for such a scary looking dude.  Jim and he had talked in the dark for a while about the women in their life.  Jim went on about Pam. Binky talked about Wanda, a chick he met in Key West.

Any conversation was okay if it made the time go by faster.  But at night, when Jim had time to really think about his situation, the quiet became unbearable.  He laughed to himself at his memory of complaints about Dunder Mifflin.  The boring, monotonous office was heaven right now.  It was heaven even more now that Pam was his personal angel.  He would stay at the office forever if it meant he could be with her.  That was why he had stayed in the first place right?   But he had to get out of here first.

There was the sound of a metal door down the corridor.  Then there was the clang of a loud lock disengaging from his cell door.  The door opened and a guard stood silhouetted by the hallway's florescent light.  Jim squinted up at him.

"Jim Halpert?"  The guard asked.

"Yes."  Jim replied.

"Your lawyer's downstairs."  The guard said.  "You're free to go."

"I got bail?"  Jim asked, practically jumping out of the rack.  He looked up and saw that Binky was still snoring.  He made a mental note to send a case of cigarettes to Binky when he had a chance.

"No, they got someone else."  The guard smiled, "Someone confessed."

"Really!"  Jim beamed and felt like leaping with joy.  He scrambled towards the door and followed the guard out.  The guard locked the cell behind him.

The guard didn't have any more information.  Jim followed him through various secure doors and they stopped at an inventory room.  The clerk handed Jim his street clothes and wallet.  He was then escorted to a bathroom where he could change.  Five minutes later, Jim was lead to the main jail entrance and he walked out a free man.

The first thing Jim saw was Pam.  She was standing there in front of his parents and brother.  Patrick, his lawyer was standing to the side.  Pam ran up to Jim and flung her arms around him.  Overcome with emotion, Jim put his face into the crook of Pam's neck.  He felt like he was about to start crying.  He didn't want her to see him cry.

Jim's parents joined into the hug and Jim lost control.  He burst out in a short spray of tears and Pam, seeing him, started bawling too. 

"What are you crying for?"  Jim asked as he finished the last sob.  He brushed away the tears and gathered his emotions.  He placed both hands on Pam's cheeks and kissed her tenderly.  She wrapped arms around him and kissed him back.  The audience of three stood back for a moment and embarrassingly looked on.

"I'm just so happy!"  Pam exclaimed. Jim hugged her again and then threw his arms around his sobbing mother.  His father, Jonathan and Patrick beamed as they watched.

"Who did it?  The guard said someone confessed."  Jim asked.  "How did you get me out of here in the middle of the night?"

"Patrick called the judge personally and got you out as fast as possible. Angela killed Roy!"  Pam said and saw Jim's eyebrows go up in astonishment.  "They'd been seeing each other for a long time!  Even when we were engaged!  She thought after Roy and I broke up that she would get him.  He rejected her and she didn't take it too well."

"I guess not!"  Jim said amazed.  "Did she just come in and confess?"

Pam looked uncomfortable for a moment.  Then she looked guiltily up at Jim.  "I went to Roy's to look for clues.  I found some photos of them and she caught me."

"Did she hurt you?"  Jim said in a panic and he looked her up and down for injury.  Pam smiled and shook her head no.

"I'm okay."  She replied.  "I was a little shook up.  But Dwight saved me."

"Dwight!"  Jim asked dumbfounded.

"Yes, he had caught her in a lie about that night.  She'd drugged him and snuck out."  Pam said.  "Tonight he tailed her and stopped her with his potato gun. Then, I clocked her with a trophy!"

Jim was literally speechless.  He stared at Pam and his family.  He put an arm around her shoulders and led them outside to the parking lot.

"Ok, I've got a million things to wrap my mind around.  I know that you probably have a long and crazy story.  I cannot wait to hear it.  But let's out of here now."  Jim said astonished.  "You hit her with a trophy?  Aren't you Wonder Woman!  Dwight rescued you with a potato gun?  Jeez!  Is he okay?"

"He's fine."  Pam said.  "He's basking in the glow over at the Sheriff's office right now."

"Well, I think we'll have to think twice about pranking him in the future."  Jim stated.  He pulled her close with one arm and kissed the top of her head.  He wrapped his other arm around the shoulders of his mother.  At this moment, Jim Halpert was the happiest man in the world.

End Notes:
 

This has been a labor of love for me and I really appreciate all of those Office Fans who have taken the time to read all 23 chapters. I know you want to go on to the next great story on MTT.  But I would really be grateful for a review at this point to let me know if I did this right.  If I did, then I'll try to come up with another mystery soon.

I have to thank Lebow and Barajam for being my Beta Gurus.  I also want to thank the NBC Episode Board "This Guy Gang" (Sweetcheeks, Claudia, JimLover, FUN, Packer, TWSS, Overpaid, and Yeesh, etc.) for being supportive and to Mose Shrute on his potato gun expertise.  Thanks for your time and can't wait until Season 4.

Chapter 24 - The Reactions by Ellelque
Author's Notes:
I was done with the story and then I started thinking about how the rest of the characters would probably respond to the info about the killer.  So I jotted these down.
Michael

"I don't know what I'm going to do.  I'm the boss of these people.  I thought it was bad when Jim was accused of killing Roy, who technically was not an employee anymore.  Now I find out that another employee actually did it.  This will not look good on my yearly review.  I mean how can you efficiently run a company if your employees are off killing or accused of killing non-employees? And imagine if Roy still worked here?  That would be three employees involved.  I could be accused of not watching my employees close enough.  Not to mention the hell it would be involved in interviewing all the new employees.  Do they allow criminal background checks on people who sale paper?"

Jim

"Am I surprised?  Of course, Angela seemed so mild mannered.  I mean I've seen Roy mistreat a woman and I know how insensitive he can be.  Not that I think he deserved it to be killed like that. That was kind of extreme.  Am I bitter about the frame-up?  It was a close call there, but it finally got me and Pam to stop and talk, even if it was in a jail visiting room."

 

Phyllis

I'm very bothered by this.  She could be kind of mean though.  She's in my wedding photos.  I hope Bob Vance is okay with that.

 

Ryan

"That is why I make it a point to never getting involved romantically with anyone from the office.  What?  Why are you laughing?"

 

Meredith

"I'm not surprised.  I never trust a woman who doesn't drink."

 

Andy

"I knew it all along.  It's the power of observation, my friend.  I just chose not to say anything yet.  I knew she would trip up.  Besides, Big Tuna needed to get a little lesson in humility.  I was able to snag about 3 of his clients while he was away.  That is how you get to the top Dude!"

 

Kelly

"Oh my God!  I just can't believe Angela killed Roy!  I mean she has such beautiful hair!  I thought about going blonde once, but with my skin tone it would look so fake!  Don't you think? I mean you never see many Indian girls with blond hair.  But Angela had that pale skin.  I always thought she would look better with a little more make-up.  I just know make-up.  I think I would have been a good beautician.  But I didn't like the idea of touching other people's face or hair."

 

Kevin

"I can believe it.  Angela could be real mean at times."

 

Oscar

"I am a little surprised.  I just can't believe she was able to take down such a large man. It must have been a crime of passion.  Women get so emotional.  This totally eliminates any ideas of going straight.  Another man would have just kicked his ass.  No one would have died."  

 

Darryl

See that's what's wrong with white women!  If a sister had done it, she would have stood her ground, hands on hips and dared anyone to question her motives.  She wouldn't have set up someone else.  Those white women are some crazy bitches."

 

Pam

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't get hurt either.  I really didn't see it.  And those pictures!   I guess I should have been suspicious when she was over at my apartment and was looking so enthralled in my photo album of Roy and me?  Oh, no they weren't those kinds of picture.  I would never let Roy do that."

 

Toby

Well I guess the whole thing ended up okay.  I have to hire a new accountant though.  And good for Jim, now he can be...with Pam..."

 

Creed

"So the blonde girl did it?  I did like her.  She reminded me of a girl I knew in the 1960's.  She had long blonde hair.  At one point she shaved it all off and cut an X into her forehead.  Then she ran off with a very charming fellow I knew named Charlie.  I never knew what happened to her.  But, she could have been the one to make an honest man of me."

 

Karen

"Well that's a surprise. I used to think she was the sanest women in the office, except for that Dwight romance.  I think I really need to stay away from these office romances.  It makes us too crazy."

 

Dwight

Am I upset?  Of course not.  That would be a sign of weakness to allow myself to become depressed over a woman.  Even if she turned out to be a homicidal maniac.  The same thing happened to my great Uncle Jedediah Schrute.  His wife took an ax to him in his sleep.  She missed and only cut off his ear.  He didn't hold a grudge and they stayed married for over 58 years."

End Notes:

If you enjoyed my writing and would like to read more of my stories, I suggest you check out my Porn Series for a few laughs, and Michael's Housewarming Chaos. Or if your heavy into Jam, The Night It Seemed So Right.

 

Check out the new Mystery Paper Cut II: Ryan's Folly!

8-)

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2268