"Anderson Realty; this is Pam." by mizjessica08
Summary:

Response to the Summer Job Challenge:

The summer before Pam's Junior year of high school, Pam lands a part-time job answering phones at Anderson Realty.

This WAS a one-shot, but I'm having some writers' block issues with What They Don't Know...This is more to tide me over, but you're welcome to enjoy it!


Categories: Alternate Universe, Past, Jim and Pam Characters: Pam/Roy
Genres: Childhood, Weekend, Workdays
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: Summer Jobs
Challenges: Summer Jobs
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 1810 Read: 8525 Published: July 16, 2007 Updated: October 27, 2007
Story Notes:
AU.

1. "I Never Thought I'd End Up Here." by mizjessica08

2. "I Know You're Faking It, But That's Okay" by mizjessica08

3. "Burning Bridges is a Form of Suicide" by mizjessica08

"I Never Thought I'd End Up Here." by mizjessica08
Author's Notes:
Hm...

Roy Anderson was, to put it plainly, a jerk. He meant well, but snickering behind a soda can at the new girl his father had hired to answer phones didn't exactly win the soft-spoken girl's good graces. He noticed her sweater ("Who wears those anymore?"), her plaid skirt that fell right above her knees ("Would it kill you to show some skin?"), and her button-up shirts ("Floral prints don't do your rack justice!").

It was a good thing she sat behind a huge desk that was more of a counter. If he had seen her white sneakers, he probably would've trashed them, too.

At lunch, she'd stay behind her desk with her little carton of yogurt. She didn't want to intrude on any of the realtor's conversations in the breakroom, even though most of them were out with clients over lunch.

Her stomach dropped whenever Roy came near. Something about him just struck her completley the wrong way. That Saturday was no different.

"You can drive, right...uh...Oh, Pamela. You drive?" he asked, leaning on the counter and trying to show off his "athletic" body or muscles or whatever else she knew she shouldn't be impressed by.

"Yes." She replied, not looking up from her message tablet. The phone rang.

"Anderson Realty; this is Pamela...Mr. Willis? Yes, sir. Okay. Yes, I'll give him the message."

"Um. Listen, do you want to go to a party tonight? It's gonna get pretty wild and I might...Maybe you could like...Drive me home or something."

She looked at him in disbelief. Had he really just asked her to be his designated driver? Was that his way of asking her out? She felt her skin crawl at the thought.

"Um. I...I can't." She went back to her message tablet.

"Why not?" He asked. "Come on, there'll be a bunch of cool people there."

She knew better than to judge on first impressions, but she also knew better than to let herself be used. She looked at him for a moment. "If that's the case," she looked down. "I don't know why you'd want me there."

"Well...Because it'd be fun. C'mon. Pamela. I want to get to know you...C'mon."

"Pam." She corrected.

"Oh, I just...You answer the phones 'Pamela....'"

"Yeah, well. It sounds more professional. Like I know what I'm doing."

"Okay. Pam, please?"

She looked at him. Something in his eyes lit up, and she thought she maybe saw a glimmer of sincerity. Like, maybe, he was more than just some football player. Maybe he was really nice, and sweet, and maybe he really liked her.

Maybe he was going to get drunk and make an ass of himself. Maybe he and his friends will taunt and tease her so badly she'll want even more to fall off the face of the planet.

"Fine. Whatever. Don't throw up in my car." She didn't really want to go...but her mom was always on her to make new friends, and be a normal teenager ("Break curfew. Have a beer - just one, but it's part of the expierence. Be a teenager, Pam.")

"Really? Awesome. Pick me up at eight?" He smiled.

Her skin crawled.

She still didn't want to go, but it was too late now.

She won't know anybody there, and most of the girls will scoff at her jeans and tank top. The guys will notice her for all the wrong reasons. Roy will kiss her, and her life will never be the same.

End Notes:
Reviews are awesome. Yeah.
"I Know You're Faking It, But That's Okay" by mizjessica08
Author's Notes:
Title's from Yellowcard's Inside Out. I love Yellowcard. Don't own them, though, or the Office, or these characters, or setting, or...Anything. Even a computer, at the moment. Mine deleted itself.
It wasn't as bad as she'd anticipated. She wore a cute tank-top that showed off what little chest she had. She wore an overshirt, to make her mother happy, but as soon as she was in the car, it was gone and her bra straps were peeking from under the shirt straps. Her curly red hair was pulled back into a ponytail, sure to hurt the next morning. She'd put it up before it'd completely dried so it'd look better.

Not that she cared what she looked like around (for) Roy.

She had a little trouble finding his place, but he'd been standing at the edge of his driveway, "waiting for like twenty minutes."

She almost didn't unlock her door for him. She thought seriously about rolling down the window and telling him she wasn't feeling well.

The party wasn't that bad. Yeah, Roy got hammered. Yeah, he reached down her shirt and stammered something about loving her. Yeah, her mom was pissed because she missed curfew, but not too mad, because she did tell Pam to "be a teenager." Yeah, she met a really cool guy who wasn't anything like Roy; he was clean-shaven, tall, lean and muscular, but best of all, he was nice.

He'd brought his own soda and kept the bottle closed, even offering to share with her a "100% alcohol-free" grape soda. 

"...How would I know if it's alcohol-free? I've never...been...drunk...so it's not like I would know."

"I've got too much goin' for me to drink. Scholarships or basketball, a good job, and the 'rents trust me, thus the fancy pickup truck parked on the street."

Roy'd been watching them all night, so the boy told Pam to tell Roy she'd "known him since like second grade;" a lie Roy drunkenly accepted. The boypulled her close, into a half-hug before helping her stash Roy in her car, and told her he worked at the local "Ma and Pa grocery shop," as a bag boy. He worked mostly weekends, nine-to-five-ish, "'cause the owners trust [him]."

It wasn't until she got home that night when she realized Roy'd never asked the boys name, and neither had she.



*****************************************



The next morning, Pam woke up early. She knew she didn't have to work today, but she also knew she wasn't going to stay home like every other Saturday.

Driving past her school, she was glad she stayed away from anything offered at the party last night. The football team was having some kind of "pennance practice," as Roy called it, for "hazing a freshman." The boys didn't seem to be holding up too well in the heat. She guessed the hangovers weren't helping.

She slowed down as she passed the football field, feeling the cool wind hit her arms and face gently. What is it about teenagers and driving with the windows down? She guessed it comes with the freedom of a license and car. Her t-shirt sleeves flapped against her arms as she sped up again, heading to the shop on Ellis Street where Mystery Boy worked.

She'd never been this bold before. Not that this - taking your mother's shopping list and a blank, signed check - was bold. She'd just never seen herself as the kind of girl to do this on a whim.

Then again, she never expected herself to be the kind of girl to get butterflies when smiled at.

And as she's checking out, watching him bag her groceries and waiting for him to - please, please - realize who she is, she spots a nametag.

Jim.

"Hey, you," he smiles sheepishly. "Do you need help getting these to your car?" He winks, and nods the slightest bit.

"Oh, yeah, that'd be awesome," she smiled at him and hoped it'd be him walking her to her car, not some other boy.

The casual conversation while Jim loaded her car down with a seemingly endless number of plastic bags included the wonderfully innocent question: "So, where do you go to school?"

As if there could be anywhere else. Only one high school in the area, she reminded him. Turned out, they go to the same school. They're in the same grade. 

"I'm, um...I'm in a lot of extra curriculars. Art, mostly."

"Oh, that explains why I've never seen you, then. I flunked chem last year, so...This is round two for me. That and basketball keeps me pretty busy."

"I hear the team's doing really well this season," she suggested as he opened her door for her.

"Come see for yourself Friday. I'll have one of the cheerleaders save you a spot up close." She never imagined she'd feel so shy, but here it was.

"Oh, yeah, okay. Um. How'll I know the seat's mine?"

"Oh," he made a funny face, and then asked what - she assumes - he should've last night. "What's your name? I'll get one of those holder-cards."

"Pam Beesly," she extended her hand. "Nice to meet you, Jim."

"Halpert," he whispered. "See you Friday."
End Notes:
Aw, what now?
"Burning Bridges is a Form of Suicide" by mizjessica08
Author's Notes:
Title from Point of Extinction a la Motion City Soundtrack, also love. Don't own anything. At all.

So not kidding.

Also, massive amounts of apoligies for the massive amounts of typos in chapter two.
The week began with Pam having to pick and choose what assignments she could do for what class Monday afternoon before work. It seemed that the school year was a peaceful time for Scranton realtors, but they still needed her there from 4 PM to 7 PM every weeknight, and 9 AM to 5 PM Saturdays and Sundays.

Not that she was overly religious, but work sort of made her miss church.

Roy staggered in Monday around 5:30 and noticed Pam still struggling to make her planner match her list of assignments.

"Hey, dork, tell Dad you're bailing and let's go get something to eat." He leaned over the counter with the same sort of smile she imagined a skanky broad would use to score a free drink at a bar.

She opened her mouth to say something, anything - protest, scold him for the name-calling, anything - but nothing came out. Instead, she just bowed her head and returned to her planner.

"C'mon. Pammy? Let's go eat."

"There's...No. I'm busy."

"C'mon, there's no what? No reason for us to stay here?" He reached out to touch her cheek.

"There...There's no "us," Roy." She drew back. She felt guilty for the repulsed look on her face, but frankly, Roy repulsed her.

*

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty much the same thing. Pam, overloaded with work and homework and thoughts of - she had to stop calling him Mystery Boy - Jim. If she had a spare second, she was using it to learn anything she could about basketball.

Funny, she'd never been pursued before. Now she couldn't pay Roy to leave her alone.

She passed Jim a couple of times in the hallway, but he was always with his teammates, or so she assumed, with a few girls hanging all over the guys. Once or twice she noticed a girl, tall and tanned with dark brown hair, hanging on Jim's arm, but he'd shifted uncomfortably and shrugged sadly in Pam's direction when he noticed her walking past.

*

Thursday, she quit her job. Well, she gave notice, but was informed about an hour later that she could leave, and come back in a week for her last paycheck. Roy's father seemed grateful she stayed as long as she had. "Receptionists don't normally last long here. Can't figure out why, but thanks, Pam," he'd smiled.

*

Friday, getting ready for the game, she wondered if he had actually saved her a seat. She wondered if she should just skip, and catch up on school work. She wondered if he'd even notice her there.

End Notes:
Yay me!

Yay reviews?
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2299