Five Things Jim and Pam Return to Each Other by Wendy Blue
Summary: With every break-up comes the awkward ritual of returning of each other's things. Here's a glimpse into those awkward moments.
Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 3111 Read: 18704 Published: July 24, 2007 Updated: July 29, 2007
Story Notes:

I wrote this a couple weeks ago, the day before I left for vacation when I should have been packing. Now that I'm back, I can finally post it!

It's a little angsty, but give it a try :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

1. CDs by Wendy Blue

2. A Scarf by Wendy Blue

3. Boxers by Wendy Blue

4. A Toothbrush by Wendy Blue

5. A Favor by Wendy Blue

CDs by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
A short chapter, but they eventually get longer.
Her fingers feel like they’re tearing as she clings to the cardboard box, and Pam wonders how his entire music collection accumulated on coffee tables and DVD cabinets in just a matter of a few months. She takes the stairs one step at a time, careful not to fall or lose her grip because even with all that’s happened, she still doesn’t want to damage his property.

She knocks on his door with her foot since she doesn’t trust herself to balance the box with one hand. Luckily he appears within a matter of seconds, and his eyes are that terrible shade of red she’s seen at work the past few days. He’s tired and quite possibly sick by the noticeable absence of color in his cheeks. She’s seen that look before, she sees it everyday glaring back at her in the mirror.

“I just, umm—you left these at my place.”

He nods and takes the box from her, and she can feel the blood rush through her hands. Even when he moves fully back into the apartment, she stands at the door awkwardly, wondering if that’s an invitation for her to come in or his subtle way of saying “get the hell out.” He takes the first few CDs from the top, inspecting them closely before pulling one out and facing her.

“This one’s yours.”

“Oh, it didn’t have a label on it so—“

“It’s that mixed CD I made you. Back when—“

“Right, yeah. I remember now.” She’s all the way inside now, with a window to her right that’s looking pretty good at the moment. Anything to just get out of the intense heat that’s settled in the room; suffocating and uncomfortable with only a flimsy fan whirring for relief. Summer is a terrible time to break up, she decides. From now on it’s only spring and fall because at least then you have some decent weather to cling to instead of this miserable, sweaty heat that makes everything you touch slip from your fingers.

“Do you want anything? I’ve got water and there might still be one of your Snapples left in the fridge.” She doesn’t know why that of all things brings on the tears; the thought of her juice, the kind he didn’t even like but still bought for her anyway, just sitting there, wondering why no one’s been around to pick it up in a week. She figures even raspberry iced tea must have noticed.

“No, I’m good. Thanks, though.” She turns from him and moves to the door, because she promised herself that he’d seen enough of her tears for a lifetime.

“See you at work,” she calls over her shoulder, hearing a soft “Bye Pa—“ as she shuts the door firmly behind her.

End Notes:
I know I'm a bad person for having them broken up. The only way to tell me off is through reviews ;)
A Scarf by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback you guys!  Here's another one for your reading pleasure.
He sees her smile to herself at her desk, undoubtedly from a Solitaire win or a new time record in Sudoku.  Now is as good a time as any to do it, he figures, at least she appears to be a little happy.  Happier, anyway.

“Hey,” he taps lightly on her desk and she does a tiny double take when she sees it’s him.  Her mouth does a yo-yo trick as it moves quickly from frown to smile to frown again before finally settling on a small smile.

“No messages,” she says quietly, and it kills him that that’s what she assumes now.  Messages must be the only reason he’d go to her desk.

“Umm, actually I just thought I’d return this.”  He slides the scarf to her, the cotton warm from his hand gripping it so tightly.

“Oh, thanks.  I forgot that…” she trails off as she runs the material through her fingers, her mind seeming to travel far from the ringing phone she doesn’t bother to answer.  

“Sorry if it smells like deodorant, it was buried in my shirt drawer.”  His brain winces because it’s the first time they’ve said more than hello to each other in two weeks and he’s talking about deodorant of all things.

But his humiliation is short lived as he hears her laugh nervously, still one of the cutest things he’s ever seen and one of the reasons he still—

“Thanks,” she says again, and for a moment he swears that there’s an afterthought, something she desperately wants to add.

Nothing comes.

“No problem.”  He gives a final tap on her desk and heads to the men’s bathroom because his allergies are acting up again.  Why else would his eyes suddenly be burning and his vision a little blurry?

He gives up trying to explain the lump in his throat.

End Notes:

I've recently learned that Strong Men Also Cry, which accounts for the ending.  Thank Cousin Mose for that one ;)

 Reviews make me happier than seeing John Travolta in drag.

Boxers by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
The 3rd installment! What a way to start your morning! Enjoy :)
Is there protocol for this kind of thing? she wonders. Is the polite thing to return your ex-boyfriend’s boxers you found in the laundry? Or do you do what instinct says and burn them?

The one thing she does know is that she can’t have them in her house. For something she was so used to having at the end of her bed, the kitchen floor, the bathroom, and even that one time on the roof, now it’s just an unwelcome reminder of what used to be. If it were any other pair, she’d wouldn’t give it a second thought. But it’s the pair she gave him as a gag gift; bright red with an array of vegetables printed throughout, one type most assuredly beets. She’d thrown it in his underwear drawer with a note that read “No ifs ands or beets about it, I love you.” She can’t help but smile at the memory and before she can think too much about it, she grabs her car keys and heads straight to his apartment.

Now she feels ridiculous, standing on his doorstep, holding his underwear and kicking herself for ever thinking this was a good idea. To her horror, he opens the door before she even knocks and he nearly topples onto her.

“Whoa—“ he holds her back to keep her from falling over and it’s the closest physical contact they’ve had in weeks. From the whiff of Colgate she inhales, she knows he’s brushed his teeth but still looks like he just rolled out of bed, which for 1 o’clock on a Saturday is pretty unusual for him.

“Sorry, I probably should have called first but—“

“No, that’s cool. I was just getting the paper and, yeah, sorry I tripped on you.” They laugh and he moves aside to let her in. She notices things look cleaner from the last time she was here, no dishes in the sink and no laundry on the couch covered not-so-discreetly by a blanket.

“So what’s up?” he asks, and she bites back a laugh as she watches him try to shove his hands into his pocket-less pajama pants before finally just crossing his arms.

Then it hits her that she now has to explain why she’s here and the only thought that comes to mind is Crap.

“Oh, umm…okay, this is kind of awkward. I was doing laundry and I found…” she holds them out to him, hoping that they’ll explain themselves so that she doesn’t have to.

His mouth drops in pleasant surprise. “Wow. I can’t believe—I was actually looking for these.”

“You were?”

“Well…yeah. I mean they’re my favorite. Which, now that I’ve said that, is also awkward.”

She laughs and forgets herself for moment. “Are they your lucky boxers?”

“Well, I certainly got—okay, so anyway…” he clears his throat and his cheeks are the deepest shade of red Pam has ever seen. “Thanks for returning them.”

“Sure.” Pam rocks on her heels, searching for something to stall her from leaving because they’re laughing and it’s the most natural and alive she’s felt in weeks.

“Umm, I don’t know if you have somewhere to be or something but I was about to put on pot of coffee if you want…”

“Yes,” she answers a little too quickly and by the smile on his face, she knows that he caught that. “That’d be good.”

End Notes:
Serve me some reviews with a fresh cup of coffee and hashbrowns on the side :)
A Toothbrush by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
You guys are seriously rocking my socks off with all of your feedback.  Thanks so much for supporting this little endeavor!

He can't believe he hadn't noticed it till now; the purple toothbrush standing alone in the teal, ceramic holder as he uses his.  He's still in the middle of brushing when he picks up it up to look at it, amazed that finding these little pieces of her almost two months later can still reduce him to a sentimental mess.
 
He makes sure to get to work early that Monday, wanting to return it to her without creating an awkward scene with everyone else around.  He decides to be bold and sit at her desk, hoping to make her laugh at the image when she walks in the door.  Sure enough as soon as she steps in, she shakes her head and smiles.
 
"Finally got that promotion?"

"How come you never told me you have an entire control panel back here?  It's like a Star Trek episode.  I had no idea you had so much power.”
 
She hangs up her coat and tries to mimic him as she leans against the desk.  But she's so small that it comes up to just to her torso so she doesn't have to lean over at all.  He's pretty sure he's never seen anything so cute in his life.
 
"So what are you doing here so early?  Besides stealing my job," she asks, taking one of her own jellybeans.
 
He retrieves the toothbrush from his bag, holding it up triumphantly.
 
"Now, I'm not sure what to make of this.  Because if it's been at my place this whole time, I'm a little concerned about your oral hygiene."
 
"I bought a new one, jerk," she teases, snatching the toothbrush from him.  "Thanks for finding it though.  I can't believe I missed it when I was--"
 
Silence settles around them now, as they both relive that awful day, full of boxes and tears and palpable tension that resonated throughout each other's homes.
 
"Well, anyway, thanks.  Hope it wasn't taking up too much space," she offers with a smile.
 
"Not at all.  See?  You were practically moved in, after all."  As he's saying the words he knows it's a mistake, and the expression on her face confirms it.
 
"Yeah, you're right.  Toothbrush, my entire home, totally the same thing."  He can hear the bitterness in her voice, but he can feel something inside snap and instead of backing down, he continues.
 
"Not like you were at my place every single night, anyway.  I can see where the transition would have been really difficult."
 
"I'm not getting into this, again.  I just can't--"
 
"You never got into it, never wanted to talk about it.  That's why we're here and not--"
 
Dwight comes in then, stopping short at the sight of them.  
 
"That's not your desk," he accuses.  Jim rolls his eyes, snatching his bag as he storms over to his desk to bury his face in his hands.  He tries to catch Pam's eye the rest of the day but she remains expressionless, focused only on her computer and barely making eye contact with anyone else in the office.  At the end of the day, he lingers as he puts on his coat, hoping his nearby presence will at least get her to look at him.  When she still doesn't look up, he finally breaks the nine-hour silence.
 
"Have a good night, Pam."
 
She looks at him with tired eyes, not even trying to attempt a smile.  "You too, Jim."
 
It's void of emotion or feeling, and all the hope he'd been storing up until that point vanishes.  He collapses on top of his bed as soon as he gets home, ignoring the bad taste settling in his mouth as he succumbs to exhaustion.

End Notes:
Please don't throw garbage at me.
A Favor by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
Well kids, it's been a bumpy ride.  But hopefully you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it.  I can't thank you enough for all of your support, sticking by this thing even with all of the angst.  Enjoy the final chapter!

She stares at the E-vite, making sure that it is her name and not some new person he’s met named “Fam.”  But it’s right there, along with a cute animation of dancing hamburgers and hot dogs announcing that Jim is having another BBQ.  She’s surprised she even got an invitation, frankly, after the “incident” that, even two weeks later has still managed to have a painful hold on her.  She takes a deep breath, and hits the “accept” button, a rush of relief and anxiousness simultaneously running down her spine.

The night of the party comes much too quickly, and like a sixteen-year-old girl she stands in front of her bedroom mirror, trying on sweater after dress after blouse after top before sticking with a classic comfortable sweater and jeans.  She does take a bit more time with her hair though, justifying that she doesn’t get a lot of opportunities to go out anymore and there’s nothing wrong with making a little bit of effort.

She’s digging through her closet for shoes, the black strappy ones that are just nice enough for a party without implying anything, when she bumps her hand into it.  The box.  The box that she’s only looked at once, on the day that it happened, and poured her tears and probably some Kleenex into.  She’s feeling sentimental so she takes it out, carefully opens the lid and sees it all.  Little mementos, things she’s saved but can’t bear to get rid of.  Silly things like movie stubs, Post-its, flower buds, paperclips.  She holds them in her hand, like artifacts that might crumble if handled too roughly.  She finds a cheap, plastic horn from their first New Year’s together, and remembers the laughter and champagne and the way her heart went crazy with anticipation as the seconds inched closer to midnight.  There’s a pink and a blue one, since she’d stolen his and had intended on showing him her collection at some point.  They just never quite got there.

He won’t look at her at work anymore, he gave up on that when she had reduced her morning greeting to a polite nod.  And she suddenly feels sick at the thought that even after all of that, he still had the decency to invite her, to at least extend a chance for them to get back to being friends.  Just friends, she thinks to herself sadly, and stashes the two horns into her purse.

It’s weird being at his place with everyone from work.  She remembers it only from before , when she was his only guest and the living room was used for things other than mingling and serving guacamole.  She goes to the patio, casually glancing around for a sign of him, and takes a beer from the cooler.  She spots Andy milling around, with a look that resembles some kind of wild animal on the prowl, and she turns to high-tail it back into the house when she runs into something tall and made of cotton.

“Careful,” he says, saving her beer from toppling over.  

“Oh, hey, sorry about that,” she fumbles.  “Andy,” she nods her head behind her.

“Oh, right.  Yeah, I think he’s used to women running in the opposite direction whenever he’s around.  Can’t imagine why…”

They laugh but soon there’s awkward silence, and they can’t quite seem to make steady eye contact.  But they can’t seem to move from their place either.

“Great party,” she offers.  

“Thanks.  It’s kind of a relief knowing that no one’s going to break into my room to snoop.”  He grins at her and she marvels at their recovery time from fights, even after all this time.

“I don’t know; you get a couple of tequila shots in Kelly and who knows what will happen.”

“Which is exactly why I didn’t buy any hard alcohol.”

And then it happens, the eye contact that she’d been so scared of and yet so hopeful for.  It lasts for seconds that feel like minutes and she has to say something before she drops her Heineken for the second time that evening.

“Oh!  I just remembered…” she says, digging into her purse.  “This is going to sound kind of lame, but I found this,” she says, presenting the blue horn to him.  “And I thought ‘Hey, what’s a party without party favors?’”  Her sentence echoes in her head and she starts looking for a hole she can crawl into for actually saying that out loud.

“But it’s not New Year’s,” he says with a crooked smile.

She mistakes her embarrassment for bravery and shrugs.  “You never know.”

She walks back inside, and smiles as she hears him nearly choke on his drink and begin to cough roughly.  

“Beesly,” he calls, and she whips her head around with a little flourish.

“How about a tour?”

She frowns.  “Umm, I pretty much know—“

“Yeah, but I did something with that spare bedroom, finally.  I want an artist’s opinion.”

Her breath hitches but she nods, and she jumps a little bit as he hand presses gently into the small of her back as he leads the way.

He opens the door for her and she’s now more confused than ever, as the room looks exactly the same as it did before, except for the soft shade of green that now covers the walls.

“You painted.”

“I, uhh, actually did this before we…you know.”  He shuffles his feet and looks down at the ground.  “I guess green is supposed to help fuel creativity and I thought that it would work for an art studio, or something…”

Her head spins and she can feel a familiar lump start to rise as she takes in what he’s trying to say.

He gives that half-smile again and starts to move towards the door.

“Something to think about.”

xxx

She only stays in the room, her room for a few minutes before she moves determinedly through the house to find him.  She sees him talking to Oscar and forgetting any sort of manners, she interrupts them.

“Can I talk to you?”

Oscar gives them both a look and moves away quickly, hiding a smile behind his wine glass.  Jim stares at her before shoving his hand in his pockets and looking away.

“I know, it’s probably too much and I shouldn’t have shown you—“

“Remember when you got the place with Mark?  How I helped you move in?”

He nods slowly, eyebrows moving closer together in confusion.

“I was kind of hoping you could return the favor.”

He’s only confused for a split second more, and his eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

“I mean, my stuff’s not that heavy, and there’s not much of it, probably wouldn’t take too—“

He seems to have forgotten about the party, or the way her bottle is digging into their stomachs, or the fact that everyone is blatantly staring at them.  It’s Kevin’s cat-call that finally breaks them apart, but they still don’t look at anyone but each other.

“Would it be really rude if I just ended the party now?” he asks a little breathless.

“Yes,” she says, slipping her hand into his.

“Damn.”

“You’ll live.”

He winks and squeezes her hand, taking her with him to find Oscar and resume their conversation.

They don’t let go the rest of the night.

End Notes:

 Aaaaaand, that's that. /Jim

Shout-out to Cousin Mose and his "55 word" fic that prompted me to throw Post-it notes in the box. Thanks for all your help, my friend. 

Last call for reviews :)
 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2326