Acting On Impulse by deerinthepark
Summary: Pam gets the nerve to call Jim after she breaks off the wedding, and gets invited along on an impromptu road trip across the country.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: Jim/Pam, Pam
Genres: Romance, Steamy, Travel
Warnings: Adult language, Explicit sexual content
Challenges: Road Trip
Challenges: Road Trip
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 25535 Read: 66430 Published: December 20, 2007 Updated: February 25, 2008
Story Notes:

I posted this originally as 'The 13th Call She Could Have Made', a drabble I'd found on my computer. Turns out, I had another whole chapter written, and I liked it so I've decided to continue it.

1. Prologue: The Call She Didn't Make by deerinthepark

2. Taking A Chance by deerinthepark

3. On The Road by deerinthepark

4. Chicago by deerinthepark

5. Heading For Denver by deerinthepark

6. Denver by deerinthepark

7. To Vegas by deerinthepark

8. Las Vegas by deerinthepark

9. Reaching the Ocean by deerinthepark

10. In the Night by deerinthepark

11. Hotel Rooms and Beaches by deerinthepark

Prologue: The Call She Didn't Make by deerinthepark
It's exactly nine days after Jim made his big confession, and Pam is sitting in her bedroom, phone clutched tightly in her hand. Her fingers brush carefully over the dials, and she traces his number lightly with her thumb. It's second nature now, after days of agonizing, trying to work up the courage to call. She doesn't even know what to say anymore, anyway; she had the whole speech ready for Monday, but he hadn't been there, and it tore her up when Michael announced Jim's transfer. The rest of the week had been hell, of course, because she kept doubting herself and what had happened, replaying the scenes over and over in her mind as she grew increasingly nervous about what she was going to do.

When she'd prepared her speech, she still hadn't made up her mind about marrying Roy. She picked words that evaded mostly that part-- gave the opportunity to change her mind. In retrospect, it seems stupid. Of course he'd ask her; she couldn't get off that easily, and she's afraid she can't use her engagement as a shield anymore. The reasons for her to be with Roy are crumbling, and she's sure her only excuse now is fear.

It's not that she's never considered a relationship with Jim-- she has. Every small, secret moment between them, she's wondered 'what-if'. But it's always been just that; she could always brush it off as too fanciful, impractical; unreachable. She's never really felt good enough for him. Jim got pretty girls like Katy, and could spoil them with his attention and wit. It wasn't that she didn't sense his attraction to her-- she did. But she'd convinced herself it was just the leftovers of a "crush" that would never become anything more than that. Girls like her were lucky to get guys like Roy: dependable, handsome and easy. And they were mostly happy together. It was enough.

When she asked "what are you doing?", her question was real. She thinks back over his expression, the way he'd looked at her as if she should already know. At the time, she didn't get it. She didn't really grasp what he was offering, what he was doing. Fucking stupid, she thinks now, but she still can't shake the feeling that it's too late, anyway-- that she's not worth the wait or the trouble.

She puts the phone back on her night-stand, taking a deep breath. Maybe she'll try again tomorrow.

Taking A Chance by deerinthepark
It's over three weeks later before she finally calls him. One week to decide to leave Roy, another to finally get it over with and move out, and one more at her mother's to look for an apartment and find other distractions.

On June 10th, she realizes enough is enough. And if he is still thinking about her, today should be especially significant. He's supposed to be in Australia, anyway, and she figures she's much better off saying what she needs to say in a message.

"Hey. It's Pam. I know you're probably in Australia right now, and I hope you're having fun. I just have a few things I, uh, need to say. I'm sorry for what happened. I sorry I said what I did, because I didn't mean it, even though I thought I did at the time. Which doesn't really make sense." She pauses, incredibly nervous, and wishes she could just start over. "I'm sorry if I ever lead you on; I really didn't mean to. I just thought... I guess I had myself convinced that that's the only way things could be. That we were just friends, I mean. It's not that... I don't know. I'm sorry. And I really... I really miss you." She stops again, trying to keep herself together. "Anyway, I left Roy. I thought you should know that. If I hadn't called things off, I'd probably be walking down the aisle right about now... I guess as far as you know, that's what I'm doing." She inwardly curses herself for babbling awkwardly like this-- for beating around the bush. "I guess I just need--" She hears a beep, and knows that she's been cut off.

Fuck. She should have planned a speech beforehand. It was stupid to think the words would just 'come to her'. At least she's called. That much is enough to make her feel slightly cheerier, but she's aware that she hasn't told him everything she means to. She broke things off because of him. She's not entirely sure yet whether it was 'for' or 'because of', but it's enough that he needs to know it, she thinks.

It takes her twenty minutes to hit 'redial'. She's slightly afraid he might answer this time, although she knows the thought it ridiculous. Even so, she doesn't breathe, and nearly passes out when she hears an eager 'Hello?' from the other line. Fuck fuck fuck. She panics, and remains silent until another 'Hello?' forces her to respond.

She manages a meek, "Hi."

"Pam?" There's something straining in his voice, but she's too distressed to analyze it.

"I thought you were supposed to be in Australia?" she blurts.

"Yeah, uh, I was. Change of plans."

"I thought the ticket was non-refundable?" She bitterly recalls the way he'd mentioned that part, so she'd have no opening to convince him to do otherwise.

"There was a thing with connecting flights and I was able to get a partial refund." His answer is distant; distracted, and she decides not to press exactly how that worked out.

"Oh," she says simply. "So how's Stamford?"

"It's okay. I still need to find a place to live."

"Yeah, me too." There's a brief silence and she's panics, wondering whether or not Jim got her first message. "Did you, uh--"

"I got your message."

"Oh, okay." She pauses. "I was calling because I got cut off; I didn't expect you to answer. With Australia and everything..."

"Yeah, no, I just got in. I was grocery shopping."

"That's always exciting," she replies nervously, not sure where this conversation is going, and she can't tell if she's more afraid that they'll discuss serious topics or that they'll avoid them completely.

"You know it-- I got some cheese, grapes, orange juice, mac-n-cheese, fabric softener..."

She giggles halfheartedly at the memory and says, "What would you do without fabric softener?"

"I'm guessing my clothes would all be slightly stiffer, and that's something I just don't want to think about." His response is in jest, but she senses the tension behind it. Still, it eases her, even though she can't think of anything even remotely witty to say in response. She changes the subject.

"Is your job much different than what you did here? I've always kind of wondered what life was like at other branches."

"It's not nearly as... lively as Scranton, but it's good. I'm doing mostly the same thing; still in sales. But I've only worked for a week and a half so far-- I decided to take my vacation time even though I'm not going to Australia."

"Oh," she replies, surprised though she's not really sure why; it doesn't really affect her. "What are you going to do with your time off?"

"I don't know," he replies earnestly. "I was thinking of taking a road trip or something-- maybe seeing the Pacific Ocean."

Her breath catches at the thought. "I've always wanted to go to the Pacific Ocean," she says dazedly.

"You should come with me." The suggestion is blurted out and left hanging in the air, and she immediately wonders if he regrets saying it.

"Yeah?"

"Well, it'd be pretty lame for me to go on a cross-country road trip all by myself."

"Huh," she replies meekly, her mind swimming. "I could use a break," she throws out non-committaly, wondering if he'll bite. It's ludicrous, she knows, that she's even considering actually going a road trip across the country with Jim just a week after breaking off her engagement, but she can't help it. "And Michael's convinced I need 'emotional' sick leave after I broke up with Roy. I thought it'd be a nice excuse for a vacation." She doesn't know why she's saying it; she shouldn't be taking him seriously; she knows she's being silly. There's silence from Jim's end, and she's afraid she's pushed too far. "Jim?"

"Sorry, I'm here, I'm just trying to figure out if you're serious or not."

"I don't know, kind of." Her heart is racing. "One more think to check off my list of things to do before I die."

"Then we should do it."

She doesn't even think before she responds, "Okay."

"Seriously?"

"I don't know, yeah? Why not?"

"I don't know," he replies with a nervous laugh. "I didn't-- I don't know. But, yeah. We could do it."

She smiles at his fumbling, and it strangely serves to ease her. "Then... let's."

"Wow, uh, okay. I didn't know you to be so impulsive, Beesly."

"You gotta take a chance on something sometime, right?"
On The Road by deerinthepark
It's not a challenge to pack, as most of her stuff is already in boxes. She decides to bring one duffle bag and a backpack-- no more than she wouldn't mind carrying for an extended period of time, because it seems like it might be that kind of trip. But it's hard for her to think about what kind of trip it might be, because when she does, her breathing gets rapid and her heart pounds and she feels like she'll explode because she's Pam and Pam doesn't do this kind of thing, like, ever and it's all just-- deep breath, keep packing.

She decides not to write down a list, because that's what she'd usually do and she always over-analyzes. They had decided to leave as soon as possible, because both had admitted if they didn't get on the road soon they'd find excuses not to go, because really, it was ridiculous. He said he'd pack quickly, drive over, and they'd leave that night. It was ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. That's why she can't make a list, because she knows she'll end up writing 'ridiculous' all across her piece of paper and it would accomplish nothing and he'd get there and she wouldn't be ready and she'll have already irreparably screwed things up.

Instead she makes a mental checklist, categorizing and grabbing things as she goes.

Underwear, bras.
Bathing suit, pajamas, athletic clothes (?).
Toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body wash.
Nail file, nail clippers, tweezers, razor, hair brush.

But every category has things she contemplates bringing that make her heart start fluttering again and then she loses her concentration. The black lacy underwear. The pink negligee. Lubricant. Condoms.

She tries to focus on something else. Clothes, perhaps. Sifting through ratty cardigans and unflattering jeans upsets her, though, because she realizes she's bought nothing cute or pretty or fancy in the last five years, and she wants to be cute and pretty and fancy. Jim had apparently fallen in love with her despite the frumpy skirts and button-ups, but she couldn't wear those on a trip like this, and there's not much else of anything she likes.

She thinks of her sister, who spends half her time at home and half at school, and who is also five years younger and five times more hip than Pam. She knows it's a bad idea to raid her closet, but she's not home and the opportunity is just right there. She's sure if she explains the situation, she'll get permission, anyway. It doesn't cross her mind to call beforehand, not even as she tries on a gorgeous dark grey tunic that makes her feel like she should be sitting on a street corner in Paris sketching. Or sitting in Jim's Corolla listening to old jazz with the windows down, the wind messing up her curls.

After half an hour of trying on and paring down and debating, she has her duffle nearly full. In her backpack she slips in a worn copy of George Orwell's "Essays", a small sketchbook, Dramamine, a half-finished book of Sudoku puzzles and her camera. There are things she's forgetting, she's sure, but for once she's not too concerned. Instead, she thinks of the important things: for one, music. It takes her fourty-five minutes to compile a satisfactory CD wallet. Then there are games-- she packs some cards, a travel-sized Monopoly, and Racko. She slips a few favorite DVDs in with her CDs, and thinks she's just about packed.

But Jim's not there yet, and she still has time to kill. She wastes it by inspecting her room and her boxes over and over, making sure she isn't forgetting anything. Fifteen minutes of nothing go by before she thinks to tell her mother of her plans.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me."

"Hi Sweetie, what's going on?"

"This is going to sound kind of weird, but I'm going on a road trip."

"Oh really? When?"

"Uh, in about fifteen minutes?" she answers sheepishly. There's a gasp of acknowledgment on the other line, but no immediate response. "I know it sounds crazy, but I called Jim and we talked and he sort of invited me on this road trip to see the Pacific Ocean and I don't know, somehow I agreed to go. He didn't even really mean to ask me, it just... happened, so I guess we're going."

"Oh. Well, I'm a little shocked, of course. But I guess that's fine. You're old enough to make your own decisions."

"You think it's crazy, don't you?"

"I think it's a little unconventional, but I know how you feel about him and I have been trying to convince you to get away for awhile. So no, I don't think you're crazy."

She smiles against the phone. "Thanks, Mom. I should finish packing. I love you. I'll call you."

"I'd like that. And I love you, too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

She clicks the phone off and lets out a huge breath she didn't know she was holding. Her anxiety goes down for about three minutes, and then she hears the knock at the door.

He's standing there, hands in his pockets, an unreadable expression on his face. She's got her backpack and duffle bag slung around each arm, and simply smiles. "Ready?" he asks, and she can only nod, following him to his car.

"We are, like, totally crazy for doing this," she says inanely, throwing her backpack behind her.

"Yeah, pretty much," he smirks, putting the car in reverse.

"Are we really going to do this?" She buckles her seatbelt.

"Looks like it." He puts the car in drive.

She grins nervously, looking out the window to watch her mom's house fade away.

"So, you're staying with your mom?"

"Yeah, I guess, until I find a new place."

"I bet that's a lot cheaper than the hotel I'm staying in."

"Yeah, that must suck. I hope you're at least staying somewhere with a complimentary continental breakfast."

"Oh, of course. The stale muffins and Lucky Charms make it almost worth it."

She laughs, because it's easy, and this is what she needs to keep her from telling him to turn around. She tries to think of something else witty to say, something to distract them, but she can't, and they fall into silence. He puts on some music, and they listen quietly until she can't take it anymore.

"I can't take it anymore."

"What?" There's a hitch in his voice.

"This terrible generic pop indie crap that you always insist on."

"What?" he repeats, possibly sounding more affronted than the first time.

"Jim, it's been four years. Four years that I've been meaning to tell you that you have terrible taste in music."

"How can you not like the Shins?"

"How can you like the Shins? The Shins are like the kind of band you listen to when you wish you knew how to listen to good music but you don't know how. You're lucky you have me along, because I've prepared for this." She reaches into the backseat for her backpack, not missing his appalled expression as she does so.

"So, wait, let me get this straight-- you've been letting me make mixed CDs for you for years and pretending to like them to humor me?"

"I know, I'm sorry. I always meant to tell you. I even made you a mix when we first met, but you beat me to the chase and you just looked so happy when you gave it to me and we were just getting to know each other and--"

"So you humored me. Like I was making you macaroni necklaces."

She giggles and cries, "No! It wasn't like that!"

"I think it was exactly like that." He tries to sound serious, but she can tell he's laughing, too, despite the fact she's pretty sure she honestly hurt his feelings.

"Well, even if it was, I do happen to have with me that very first CD I made you if you'd like a listen."

"Four years too late."

"Shut up!" She searches through her case for the correct mix. "Anyway, obviously it was a good enough mix for me to want to keep it around all this time."

"This better be good, what with the severe lashing you just gave my taste. What else, Pam? Are you going to tell me you faked Dessert Island and you really think The Princess Bride is overrated?"

"Don't even joke about The Princess Bride. Just shut up and listen," she laughs as the first few strings of Leonard Cohen's The Partisan crackle through his speakers.

They listen in mostly silence through the entire mix. Pam offers a few anecdotes-- how her mother used to listen Gal Costa songs as she cooked, loving the songs even though she didn't know a word or Portuguese. How her father used to play old Thelonious Monk records in their living room as Pam did fingerpaints, how she thinks that made her want to be an artist. It's nice, because it's a distraction that lasts awhile, and she can just listen without thinking about the fact that they're already forty miles out of Scranton.

"I don't know about all this, Pam."

"Oh, please. Are you going to try to tell me Snow Patrol is more innovative than Lou Reed? That Ben Gibbard sings with more passion than Edith Piaf?" She knows she's going a little too far. "I'm sorry, Jim, I've just been waiting, like, forever to share my music with you. It's really important to me, and Roy never cared, so... I don't know." She shifts in her seat and looks away. He doesn't say anything, but she thinks she sees a smile reflected in the window.

There's a silence that lasts too long, because Pam can't tell if it's a comfortable silence or an awkward silence, and she tries to think of things to say. "How much ground you think we should cover tonight?"

"I don't know, it's already four. Think we should drive until we're too tired?"

"Yeah we should probably try to get as much driving in early on as we can before we get worn out."

"So we're really doing this? The Pacific Ocean?"

"Why? I mean, if you don't--"

"No, I do."

"Okay," she replies with a sheepish laugh. "Well, we've already listened to one mix, and we don't want to exhaust our music supply too quickly."

"You want to play a game?"

"What, like the license plate game? How will you do that driving?"

"We could play 20 Questions."

"How old are you?"

"Animal, mineral or vegetable, Beesly."

She laughs. "Fine! Uh... okay, mineral."

They play for an hour, him coming up with ridiculously obscure things she can always get, her coming up with completely conventional items that always fool him.

"A closet, Pam?!" He's incredulous. "You can't-- God."

"A closet is a perfectly legit mineral!"

"But it's not a thing, it's like a conception."

"It physically exists, it is totally legit! C'mon Halpert, 'something', that's like the least legit thing to come up with for 20 Questions, if you can do that then I can do closet."

"And yet somehow you got 'something' in about five questions."

"What can I say? I am a pro at 20 Questions."

They joke, laugh and smile like it all comes naturally, because maybe it does, for them, and it hides all of the bad and confusing and ridiculous and overwhelming stuff. Maybe it's easy because they've perfected and honed that art of always skimming the surface. She doesn't contemplate it too much, because for now she wants to just think of the present and not its implications and just be, because that's twenty times less painful and frightening.

When they've exhausted themselves with games, she decides to take a nap. It's getting dark, and she thinks maybe if she sleeps now she'll be rested enough to drive when he gets tired. Plus, if they alternate their sleeping schedules, they lessen the possibility that one of them will say something meaningful and mess everything up.

She surprises herself when she actually sleeps, only waking up every few hours or so to change her position. After she thinks maybe seven, eight hours have passed, she finally breaks the silence.

"It's late."

"Yeah, I don't know how much longer I can go and I don't see any hotels or anything."

"I can drive."

"Yeah?"

"Sure, I'm rested. I think I can handle a Corolla."

"It's a pretty challenging--" He yawns, and forgets his thought. "I'll pull over."

They switch sides and he's asleep by the time she gets comfortable with his car. Every so often she glances at his sleeping form, illuminated by the flicker of passing streetlights. He sleeps in a haphazard position, like he wants to sprawl, but can't because of the confines. An image of him sprawled on a hotel bed, her head on his naked chest, their bodies twisted in the sheets flashes briefly in her mind, but she forces it away and focuses back on the road.

And she drives.

And drives.

And drives.
Chicago by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
Thanks for your support on this story, I have quite a lot written right now so there will be a lot of early posts.  Try not to get too used to it, because I doubt I'll be able to keep it up.
He finally stirs at the crack of dawn, and it makes her smile because she's always wished she could wake up to the sun. He seems momentarily confused, and briefly catches her eye before sitting up.

"What time is it?" he asks groggily.

"A little past six, I think."

"I only slept five hours?" He seems annoyed, but she just chuckles.

"I'm sorry, you can go back to sleep, I'm good for quite awhile. Although I realized about an hour ago that we never ate dinner."

"You never ate dinner. I had a bagel and chips."

"Are you holding out on me?!"

"What? No, of course not." He reaches behind him and pulls out a sack of food. "Here, what do you want?"

She eyes the bag of food, spotting the bagels, some cookies, chips and probably a lot more. "Jim Halpert," she begins, but stops herself before she can say 'I think I love you'. Instead she blushes, and murmurs a hasty, "This is great."

"What would you like?"

"Anything. Calories."

"Okay, settle down. Here." He hands her a chocolate chip granola bar, and she wonders how he knows she likes them, because she can't remember eating them at work.

"Thank you, but seriously I need a real meal soon. We're almost to Chicago, I think it's only about half an hour off of I-80."

"Well this is a road trip. Should we stop? Eat, see some sights?"

"I don't know what there is to do in Chicago. But it's pretty early, I don't know what will be open."

"It's up to you."

"Have you been to Chicago?" He shakes his head. "Me either. Let's stop."

He calls his friend Jason, a friend from college who used to live there, for tips on where to eat and what to see. He tells them of a place called Lou Mitchell's, which is apparently famous, cheap, well-liked and definitely open at six in the morning. When they reach the city they find a convenience store open and buy maps, then head out for breakfast.

"These banana pancakes are amazing."

"Yeah?" She pushes his plate over to him and he takes a bite. "Wow, that so does not taste healthy." She sticks out her tongue as he gives her back her plate.

"So you think I'll get fired for randomly leaving without asking for time off? I don't have any vacation days left, anyway."

"Do I think Michael will fire you?"

She laughs. "I guess you're right. He needs me to fill the 'hotness quota'."

"I don't know, he has Ryan now."

She nearly spits out the bite she's taking. "That's right, and I'm sure Dwight will be pressuring him to get rid of me for someone more 'adequate'."

"Are you worried?"

"Honestly, no. I need to get out of Scranton, or at least out of that job. I guess getting fired would push me in that direction, but I don't really want to think about losing my job right now, let's plan our trip."

They pull out their maps and after much deliberating, decide to head south, then follow the coastline north.

"Do you really want your first exposure to the Pacific Ocean to be in LA?"

"Not really, but this way we get to see almost all of the coast without backtracking."

"So Denver to Las Vegas to Los Angeles?"

"Sounds like a plan to me. Although I kind of wanted to see Yellowstone. My sister went in high school and said it was amazing, and I was always jealous."

"We can see it, it's right on the way if we travel all the way up to Washington."

"Ooh, yes, then we can see Seattle. That'd be cool."

"I wish we could take Route 66, since we just learned it starts at this very restaurant, and ends exactly where we're heading."

"Too bad it doesn't exist anymore."

He shrugs and says something about avoiding over-planning, to which she agrees. They had already dubbed this trip 'The Beesly-Halpert Impulsive Road Trip of 2006'-- act on impulse, that was what they decided.

"Let's go to an art museum," he suggests as they pay.

She looks at him wide-eyed. "What would you do at an art museum?"

"I don't know, I was thinking I'd walk around, look at art. I think that's what one typically does."

"You know what I meant."

"Well, I know someone here who is quite interested in art, and I thought it would be fun."

Her grin is wide and honest. "Okay. There's the Museum of Contemporary Art. I've kind of always wanted to see it."

"Then why didn't you suggest it?"

"I'm suggesting it now."

They make their plans and take their time driving there, figuring it might not be open yet. Pam talks of her college days, when everything seemed new and possible and real and she dreamed of spending long afternoons in museums and galleries absorbing culture, how she'd always wanted to move to the city. Jim just listens, and she worries he's boring of her blabbering, but whenever she stops, he asks her to continue.

It turns out Jim really doesn't know anything at all about art, which is okay, because Pam doesn't really know that much (she'd only lasted a year and a half in art school, and that was years ago), and she likes impressing him. He seems content just to listen to her, to watch her face as she takes in an Andy Warhol piece, mesmerized by feeling of being so tangibly close to one of the greats.

"You think some of this stuff is 'weird', don't you?" she whispers, eyeing a particularly strange sculpture in the corner.

"To be honest, yeah, this looks like something rejected from Home Depot."

She giggles and leans into him, her palm on his chest as she cranes her neck to murmur her agreement into his ear. She meant the gesture to be sneaky, secretive-- she didn't want to be seen criticizing the work on display-- but it quickly turned intimate, the tension between them almost tangible. And, just like they've trained themselves to do, she pulls away awkwardly and he makes a joke about her not being hip enough to understand the depth behind 'Untitled Metal Bracket Piece #2', and she can feel the moment slipping away into the 'things I'll inevitably ignore' corner of her brain, and she'll never quite be able to remember whether or not something meaningful ever happened at all.

The rest of the day is spent wandering and laughing and not-thinking-about-consequences, until it finally gets dark and they have to face the logistics of their trip again.

"You up for driving tonight?" she asks sunnily, leaning into him as they walk back towards his car.

"I don't know. I'd like to say yes, but this day was kind of exhausting and I wouldn't want to crap out in the middle of the night and end up killing us both in some horrible fiery crash."

"Right. Well, how about we drive for a few hours, then find a place to stay? It'd be nice to get a full night's sleep, you know?"

He agrees, and they get back in the car and head for the open highway.

"You know, I haven't been thinking too hard about our timeline here."

"Huh?" she's distracted, watching the passing city lights.

"Just that I only took two weeks off, and I'm already four days into it. It'll take us that long just to drive to all the places we've planned." He pauses, and she doesn't say anything, because yeah, that is a problem, but she just doesn't want to think about real life problems at all this trip. "You know what, I don't care. I don't even like Stamford."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's-- I don't know, I was filmed saying 'if this was my career, I'd have to throw myself in front of a moving train', and yet here I am moving up at Dunder-Mifflin."

"What are you saying?"

"I don't know, that I don't really care about the consequences because there's not that much at stake." There's silence, because she doesn't know what he's really talking about, because she doesn't want to think about what this trip means to them, because she can't tell if he'd meant to imply that he didn't care.

"What kind of career do you want to have?" She uses explicit phrasing, to change the subject in case it really had changed. He talks about how he'd stupidly majored in business, that he realized he'd have to take an office job, and how that's not really what he wants at all. That he doesn't know. He mentions being a sports writer, but he brushes it off as impractical and unattainable, and when Pam begins talking about her and art, he quickly brushes her off and says it's not the same, so she drops it.

"I'm sorry, I guess I just don't have any realistic career dreams. I guess that's why I'm still at Dunder-Mifflin." He doesn't sound convincing.

She senses tension, and to avoid things getting too uncomfortable, she suggests they stop for the night. "We're almost back onto I-80, I bet there's somewhere at the junction."

They keep going, eyes peeled for an earlier stop, but don't find anywhere for another twenty minutes. It's a little motel with avocado paint and a blinking neon 'Vacancy' sign, and while a little frightening, it's here and it looks cheap and she thinks they really need a rest. When they got to the front desk a bored twenty-something with creased blue eyeshadow asks them how many beds, and his voice sounds a little unsure when he says 'two'.

The room is small with orange flowered wallpaper and teal 80s linens that don't match the rest of the room. Pam immediately flings herself on one of the beds, and frowns at how cheap the mattress feels. At least it's a bed. She suggests going right to bed so they can get an early start, and he agrees, maybe for lack of any other suggestions. She changes into her more conservative PJs, and tucks herself into bed before he emerges from the bathroom to avoid seeing him in whatever he sleeps in. Because she's sure that's not what she needs right now.

She pretends to sleep as he comes back into the room, walking carefully so he doesn't wake her as he arranges his suitcase and turns off the lights. It's cute, it's nice, because Roy was never that considerate. She swears she can physically feel the loss when she hears him climb into bed and doesn't feel a warm body next to hers. She imagines him next to her, with maybe an arm wrapped protectively around her waist, warming her. She can hear him breathe, feel him in the room, and it's not difficult to imagine, even if she feels immensely creepy and guilty for it.

She hears him murmur an almost wistful 'goodnight, Pam', and closes her eyes to sleep. Her grin doesn't leave her lips all night.
End Notes:
So what do you think, is it time for an awkward masturbation scene or no?
Heading For Denver by deerinthepark
The next morning when she wakes up, she can hear him snoring, and her mind can't help but wander to all the things she'd try to ignore. She can't believe Casino Night was only a few weeks ago-- so much has shifted since then. She can't believe a few weeks ago he was in love with her. She honestly can't tell if he's over it, if he doesn't care, or if he's just being careful. He seemed so honest, so sincere and so real that night that she can't imagine he'd get over it so quickly. Not if all the time-- fuck, all the time, he was in love with her. Every day, every stolen moment that she brushed off as platonic, really wasn't. Of course it had never been for her, much as she pretended, but she honestly believed it mostly was for him and it's just-- she has to stop this train of thought.

She wonders what he wants from her. They're slipping into old habits, into the Jim and Pam they'd perfected over the years. The ones who finish each others thoughts and laugh and joke and pretend their hearts aren't breaking. Maybe that's what she wants, because hell, it's a lot better than nothing. And she doesn't want to mess things up. The thing is, she knows she's in love with him. But it still feels like it's not enough, because really it's the same love she's always felt for him, that she's trained herself to think is unacceptable. And now... now she doesn't know who they are, or what they're doing. At all.

She contemplates what she wants. As much as she wants to jump his bones, as much as she wants to tell him she was wrong that night, as much as she loves him, she's not sure she wants to commit herself to that reality. Only a week ago she was about to be married to another man, and she's still so lost and unsure that she's too afraid to enter a relationship with Jim. A relationship with Jim. The thought terrifies her as much as it excites her. But she's not ready for it, and really, she's thankful they can just be friends right now and ignore all that. She needs Jim, her best friend right now.

But yeah, she really wants to jump his bones.

When he stirs, she irrationally worries he can read her thoughts, so she tries to think of Dwight and beets to distract her mind, but that becomes even more disturbing and eventually she just gives up and gets up. He doesn't seem to wake up as she gathers her things to take a shower, but when she emerges again (thankfully dressed, as she remembered to bring clothes in with her), he's sitting on the edge of his bed, looking at a map.

"Hey," she says, slightly nervous, because he's wearing an old t-shirt and boxers and he just looks so-- Don't. Stop. He's talking, pay attention.

"Hey, I'm just trying to figure out our travel plans for today. I don't think there's much of anything interesting around here, you want to just go until we reach Denver?"

"How far is that?"

"Looks like about... 12 hours?"

"Six hours each? You think we can do it?"

"I think we can do it, as long as we don't hit ridiculous traffic or something."

"Should I start or you? I don't mind, I'm awake."

"Sounds fine to me."

He then gets up to get ready, and when she hears the shower start, she sits on her bed and suddenly wants to cry. She doesn't even know why, exactly, maybe it's just the weight of it all hitting her. But she really doesn't want him to hear, know about, or see her crying, so she tries desperately to stop her tears. By the time he gets out, she thinks she's pretty successfully hidden all redness from her eyes.

The motel doesn't offer breakfast, so they hit Safeway for snacks so they won't have to make any more stops. When they get back on the highway, Pam picks out a CD, and they travel for at least an hour without speaking. It's nice, though, to just drive.

She notices Jim drifting off, and can't help but glance over at his t-shirt riding up over his jeans every so often. To be honest, it's making her kind of wet, to the point that she has to bite her lip and keep her eyes focused firmly on the road, both hands gripping the steering wheel. She wonders if he finds her sexy; how often he's thought about her that way. If he was in love with her, surely there was some physical component-- it's not like there wasn't a spark. She wonders what he would do if he saw her sleeping like that, and then the thought crosses her mind that maybe he had, and although the thought vaguely creeps her out, it's also hot. She just-- this whole lust thing with Jim, she just needs to get it out of her system. Or at least act on it. Just, something, because these impure thoughts are distracting.

When she gets low on gas, she decides to look for a place stop, and maybe they can switch places. Jim's still sleeping, and she hopes he won't be too groggy to drive.

"Jim, wake up." He murmurs something indecipherable, and she has to whack him with her free hand.

"Ah, what?"

She giggles. "You've been asleep for like over five hours."

"I've what? Really? What time is it?"

"It's just past one. You ready to take over?"

"I'm a little--"

"Don't say tired."

"Okay, sleepy."

She rolls her eyes. "Well try to wake up, I need to get gas and we're trying to minimize our stops, remember?"

"Hey, did you call work."

"Shit! Is it Monday already? Oh God, can I borrow your phone?" He's still dazed, but her panic seems to wake him up.

"Where's yours?" he asks, already handing his over.

"It's dead and I forgot my charger." She's already dialing the numbers. "God, I am going to get fired, aren't I?"

"Dunder-Mifflin, this is Ryan."

"Hi Ryan, it's Pam." She's visibly wincing and Jim chuckles, which makes her start to giggle and she has to shoot him a stern look to shut him up.

"Oh hi Pam. Where are you?"

"Um, I'm actually in Cleveland visiting my grandma. Family emergency, happened over the weekend, I'm sorry I didn't call, I kind of lost track of the day." She regrets the excuse as soon as she says it, and she can see Jim shaking his head in the corner of her eye.

"Will you be in tomorrow?"

She pauses. "Uhhh... no. I won't be in for a few weeks."

"Maybe you should talk to Michael."

"Yeah, uh, okay."

"I'll transfer."

"Pamela Pamderson! Too depressed to come in today? Woman problems? What's the dealio?"

"Michael, I'm fine, I just had a family emergency."

"You know you're out of vacation days."

"I know that, this was just, uh, really important."

"Okay, well, then we'll see you tomorrow?"

"Actually, no. I really took to heart what you said about needing to take a personal sick leave, you know, with the wedding being cancelled and all. With that and my grandma and everything, it's just a little too much for me to handle."

"Say no more, Pam, I understand. When will you be back?"

"In two weeks?"

"Two weeks?! Don't you think you could, you know, not? You're the face of this office, Pam!"

"I know Michael, this is just really important to me."

"More important than your job?" She should have expected a reaction like this, but it's still weird coming from Michael.

"I guess so. But you know, I was going to be taking a week off for my honeymoon, anyway. I don't see how this is much different. I'm really sorry, Michael, and I understand if you want to fire me, but--"

"C'mon, Pam, I couldn't do that. You're part of our family."

"Okay, then you're going to have to deal with me taking these two weeks off."

She hears an exaggerated sigh on the other line, and then some long spiel about how broken he'd be if Carol left and how he understands and maybe some other stuff, too, but she's not really listening.

"Okay, Michael, I've got to get back to my family."

"Right, me too. I'll see you in two weeks."

"Okay. Goodbye, Michael."

"Bye Pam."

She hangs up and lets out the biggest sigh of relief.

"Wow," is all Jim can say.

"I know, I'm horrible."

"No, that was-- that was impressive."

"Thanks." She settles to a relative calmness and tries to focus on driving again. "Have you seen any signs for gas or anything recently?"

"Yeah, there's a town coming up in about three miles, I think."

After they switch, they start with travel games-- Name That Tune, I Spy, the Alphabet Game, the License Plate Game... they take turns adding lines to ridiculous stories, ask and answer inane questions, and eventually run out of things to say.

"I think we've exhausted all game possibilities," she says, defeated.

"For today, at least. You only won the Alphabet Game because you weren't the one driving."

"Yeah, yeah. It's getting late, you want to switch soon?"

"I'm good for a few more hours, I think. How far are we from Denver?"

She pulls out a map. "Uh, we just turned onto I-76, so it looks like we've got about 150 miles left? I can't really tell."

"Okay. We've got enough gas to get that far. I think I can pull through."

"That's not very fair, you've been driving for like a million hours."

"A million, huh?"

"Five. Which is all I lasted for. So that'll make what, like seven?"

"Make it up to me tomorrow, I'm good for the night."

"Fine." She leans her seat back and stares out the window at the black landscape rolling by. "What are we even going to do in Denver?"

"I don't know. Aren't we just stopping since it's a big city? We can get some food, maybe a slightly nicer hotel, and I hear they have a great nature or science or something museum."

"Sounds like you know a lot about it."

"Hey, I've never been to Denver," he says with mock offense.

She giggles and says nothing more, thinking maybe another museum would be nice. They fade into silence until she drifts off and they eventually reach Denver.

"Pam, wake up."

"Yeah?" She can hear the sleep in her voice and despite her fatigue, remarks his visible reaction to it, and thinks maybe she'll take that as a good sign.

"Oh, uh, we're here. I've been looking for places to stay, there seem to be quite a few pretty nice hotels. What do you think?"

"I don't care, you decide."

"Uh, okay. There's a place called The Curtis that I just passed, and we're downtown so maybe that'd be nice."

"Sounds good," she says with a yawn and a smile.

Pam wakes up fully the second they walk into the lobby. This is not the kind of place she'd ever go with Roy-- he always opted for cheap chain hotels with 80s decor, but this is so much nicer. It's almost a little kitsch, but with a swanky retro vibe and she can't think of anywhere else she'd rather be than in this hotel with Jim.

"Hi, do you have any rooms for tonight?" she hears Jim ask the desk clerk.

"We do, sir, how many beds?"

"One," Pam blurts before she can stop herself.

Jim is speechless, but the clerk doesn't seem to notice or care, and Pam can feel her cheeks burning. "Is a Queen acceptable?"

"That's perfect," Pam finds herself replying, in a voice she recognizes as higher than usual. She deals with the rest of the transaction, afraid to turn or look or speak to Jim, and he doesn't do anything, she can't even hear him breathe. She wonders if he's still conscious.

"Alright, we're all set, you'll be in room 341. Would you like help with your bags?"

"No, we've got it."

"Thank you for staying with us."

She nods and slings her bags onto her shoulders, heading sheepishly for the elevators. If Jim asks, maybe she'll just say she thought it would be cheaper with one bed, since this was such a fancy hotel. Right. Cheaper. Okay. Deep breath.

Her hand shakes nervously as she tries to swipe the key, but eventually she gets a green light and she hopes she's not being incredibly obvious and creeping him out. She really doesn't know if he's weirded out or nervous or turned on or what, he's just speechless, and she can't read his expression (okay, she can't make herself look at him from embarrassment).

She sets her bag down in the corner, immediately muttering something about changing so she can ruffle through her sack and avoid him. Maybe she's overreacting, maybe this doesn't mean anything to him, but her heart still pounds as she sifts mindlessly through her clothes. She realizes she doesn't know what she's doing, and she's just going to embarrass herself further if she doesn't calm down.

So she stands up and looks at him, and yeah, her breath catches a little when she sees with such unreadable intensity he's looking at her. "So I was thinking I'd take advantage of the pool facilities. Do you want to join me? I mean, I was just going to do laps or whatever, but..."

He seems relax, but honestly, she can't tell what he's thinking at all and it almost scares her a bit. "Yeah, uh, I think I'm going to rest for a bit, but maybe I'll see you down there?"

She takes a deep breath and nods, attempting a friendly grin. She grabs her suit and gets dressed as fast as possible, heading right out the door to avoid facing him with a quick, "Bye Jim!"

When she gets to the pool, she is happily surprised to find nobody else there. She jumps in to force herself to get used to the water, and immediately begins swimming laps. At first she is able to just swim and not think, but as she starts to lose speed, her mind drifts. She wonders if Jim is mad at her for making them share a bed. She thinks briefly that he could have said something, but she knows that really he couldn't (or wouldn't) have. Maybe she's being a tease. Because he's in love with her, right? The thought that he actually might really want to do her, like, all the time makes her heart flutter and she picks up the pace to avoid thinking about.

If it's true, then, well, she is kind of torturing him. Being in separate beds was hard enough. God, she's so stupid for getting one bed. Because honestly, as much as she'd like to just get it over with and fuck him, she knows there will be repercussions. There will be a talk and more confusion and they might just ruin everything and it's going so well and she just can't risk it. Yet, anyway. Yet. The word sends shivers down her spine because of its implications. And just... if she allows herself to think that one day, she will be boning Jim, she wonders why that day can't just be right now. Like, why are they wasting their time when they could be--

"Hey, Pam." Oh good, just what she needs, to see him almost naked. And wet.

"Hey." She can hear her voice cracking and hopes he doesn't hear it. "I was just doing laps." She's careful not to stand up, to keep herself as concealed as possible in case he's just as frustrated as she is. She's lucky she's only got an ugly striped one-piece.

He's climbing into the water now, a look on his face like he is about to do something horrific.

"You better not try to dunk me, Halpert, or I will scream."

His smirk becomes more pronounced at that and she shrieks and swims away before he can even make a move towards her. "Wow, somebody's antsy."

"Shut up. I just like being in control of where I am, what I'm doing, and how wet I am when I'm in the water."

"You're just making it more tempting to dunk you."

"Don't! I swear to God, Jim, if you do--" and she splashes him to emphasize her point.

"Hey, I didn't do anything!"

"You were thinking it," she contends, trying to hide a smile. He raises his eyebrows challengingly and she lets out a giggle.

The door opens and they turn to see some children and who they assume to be their dad enter the pool, smiles all over their faces.

"Now we've got witnesses if you do try anything," she says, and he laughs.

"I promise not to dunk you."

She thinks to make him pinky swear, but instead dunks her head underwater on her own, to cool herself down, because moments like these-- the ones where if she thinks about it, she knows she's in love with him-- are not exactly easy to deal with when preceded by moments where she thinks about him, you know, that way. Ugh, this is just getting ridiculous.

They swim for a few more minutes, and sometimes Jim sneaks up on her to try to scare her, but she always splashes him in the face and eventually he gives up.

"You are so paranoid," he laughs.

She rolls her eyes and ignores him. "I'm starting to prune."

"Ready to go?"

She nods and heads for the stairs. She wants to get out first, because she knows how clingy swim suits can get when wet and she doesn't really need to see that on him right now. She wraps her towel around her before he can see her, either, and it's kind of awkward that they're this self-conscious, but they seem to be on the same page about it, so neither comments and it makes things slightly easier.

When they get back, Pam claims the bathroom first and spends most of her time on there debating which pajamas would be most appropriate. The frumpy, ugly, conservative set she'd sported last night were too warm for summer. She had a second set, a camisole and some boy shorts, that seem a little too flirty and maybe even too young for her, but her only other option is the pink negligee, which is really more for other purposes than sleeping. Camisole and boy shorts, it is.

She's too embarrassed to come out, though, because the boy shorts, well, they are basically just underwear. She hadn't thought too much about it when she packed them, because they're the only shorts she'll wear to bed. The looser ones always end up up her crotch or in other weird places, and boy shorts are just... comfy. But, they leave little to the imagination. She settles by slipping the frumpy pajama pants over them, that way she can remove them if she gets too hot. Fine, okay, whatever.

She's a little mad that even sleepwear has to be such a big, over-thought ordeal. When she sees Jim on the bed with a towel slung low around his waist and one hand stretched under his head, she remembers again why exactly this sort of thing is so important.

"Bathroom's all yours," she announces.

It's not until the door is locked and she hears the faucet going that she lets out the deep breath she's been holding, flopping dramatically on the bed. She's thankful he hasn't said anything about their sleeping arrangement yet, but she guesses he's thinking about it just as much as she is. Maybe she should just go to sleep before he comes back and curl up on her side of the bed and ignore the whole thing. But that's too obvious and she'd probably just piss him off and this is just to complicated.

When he comes out she's reading her book in bed, and he smiles and joins her. He sits on top of the covers while she's under them, and she's grateful for the separation.

"I didn't peg you for an Orwell fan. Very intellectual."

"If you want to know the truth I'm not much of reader, and I like this because it's divided into shorter stories and essays, but it's a bit more respectable than, like, Chicken Soup for the Soul or something."

He lets out a soft chuckle and he mutters something under his breath that she can't quite hear. "What?"

"Nothing, just-- no, nothing. Have you read any David Sedaris?"

"He's the one on, like, NPR and stuff, right? Writes memoirs or something? No, I haven't."

"He writes short stories of things he or his family have done, basically, and it's pretty entertaining. Seems like your kind of humor."

"And what do you think my kind of humor it?"

"A little dry, maybe even sarcastic, but still genuine." There's something in the way he says it that makes it impossible for her to respond, so she goes to back to reading (fine, pretending to read). "So, what's the plan for tomorrow?"

She shrugs, her eyes still glued to her book. "I don't know. Breakfast, downtown wandering, go to the museum?"

"So, exactly what we did in Chicago."

"Yeah," she replies genuinely. "But we got an early start there, so maybe we should get to sleep early. I mean now-- I guess it's already kind of late."

There's a hitch in his breath as he says, "Okay."

She slips out of her pajama pants as he goes to get the lights, hoping the action goes unnoticed. She puts her book on the floor and turns onto her side, away from him, biting her lip. She doesn't want to be cold to him, but she doesn't want to be a tease either, and certainly she thinks sex would be a bad idea right now. When he joins her, she feels each of his movements acutely. She can't help but edge ever-so-slightly towards the middle of the bed. She can feel his warmth radiating through the sheets, she's so immensely aware of him, and she wonders how she'll ever sleep.

His voice sounds small as he says, "Goodnight, Pam."

Hers sounds even smaller as she replies, "'Night, Jim."

Fuck.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading & reviewing :) Oh, and for visual, here's Jim and Pam's room. Swanky, eh?
Denver by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
This chapter is a repost! It's be edited to include an extra little scene.
It takes her forever to fall asleep. It's like the bed is alive, her sense of him is so acute; when he takes a breath, she feels it. She blames her alertness on the nap she'd had earlier, but she knows it's more than that. She wonders if he's asleep, if this is as hard for him (that's what she said) as it is for her. Eventually she drifts off, filled with the smell and warmth of him, only to awaken what feels like seconds later as light begins to peek through the curtains. She feels his back pressed against his, and his t-shirt has ridden up enough to feel his bare skin against hers. She leans just slightly more into him, to immerse herself in the feeling of it. She revels in his closeness.

Her mind drifts to his, and wonders what he thinks of everything. She imagines his thoughts as he approached her in the pool, wonders if his heart skipped a beat when he saw her splashing dazedly through the water, like hers had when he'd made himself known. She remembers the way she had jumped up to avoid one of his faux-attacks, how her breasts had threatened to pop out of her suit, and wonders if he'd noticed.

God, why is she so horny? But she knows why. She remembers how her breath would sometimes quicken at the sight of his forearms, how she'd have to quickly distract herself when he put his hands in his pockets and the fabric spread taught against his ass. How something would light up deep inside her when he touched her, laughed with her, looked at her.

This is like all of those times amplified and constant and it's pretty much unbearable. And it's real now. It's never been real before. Roy was her shield, as well as her denial of the attraction between them. But she doesn't have that anymore and it's too much so she just has to maybe not think about it. It's really pitiful, she thinks, because this is all very high school, but it's just... it is what it is. She can't help it.

She kind of wants to roll over and snuggle him from behind. Kind of wants to wrap her arm around his chest, kind of wants to brush feather-light kisses against the back of his neck. Instead she remembers her promise to call her mom, and pulls on her pajama pants before slipping out onto the balcony (immediately feeling the loss of him), stealing his cell phone from the breakfast table on the way.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's me. I'm sorry I didn't call earlier, I forgot my phone charger."

"Pam, I am so glad to hear from you! I was getting a little worried."

"Sorry about that. And I'm sorry to be calling so early, it's just... well, I'm with Jim a lot and he's sleeping right now, so..."

"I understand, it's fine, I'm really glad you called. So how are things?" She knows what her mother's really asking, but she doesn't think she's quite ready for that conversation yet.

"It's fine. Great, really. Well, mostly we've just been driving. We trade off most of the time. We spent a day in Chicago and we just got into Denver, so I guess we'll be here for a day or two."

"Denver? Wow, it's so weird to have you so far away."

"I know, I can't really grasp it. It's just... yeah."

"Then when are you heading?"

"Um, I think we're heading for Los Angeles through Las Vegas."

"Vegas, really?"

"Uh, yeah. Although, I don't know, I've been thinking about it a little bit and I think that would be a really bad idea."

"Because of that night, or... ?"

"Yeah, that mostly. I mean, it'd just be really weird. Plus, like, Vegas is the place where you do crazy things, right? And I don't want to like get really drunk or something or mess everything up. We haven't really talked about anything yet. At all, actually. So... I don't know."

"Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. Just talk to Jim about it."

"That's the thing, though, we can't really talk about it. You know how things are with him. It's just... I don't know, Mom, I don't know how to bring it up."

"Well, he's probably just as nervous as you. Or maybe he hasn't really thought about it yet. How Las Vegas is."

"Yeah, maybe... I don't know. I don't really want to think about it."

"I trust you'll make the right decision. And I trust he will, too. You know how careful he is with you."

"He did abandon me..." she says quietly.

"Honey, we've been over this. That doesn't mean he doesn't care."

"I know. I'm not scared of him, if that's what you think, I just don't want to ruin everything."

"Right, I know, sweetie."

Her mom then shifts the subject a bit, for which Pam is grateful. She talks of Chicago, the things she's seen on the road, the tacky motel they'd stayed in. Any further mention of Jim is anecdotal, and it makes things so much easier. When she hangs up, she feels a little more relieved. Like maybe this trip was a good idea, that she's really getting out and doing something fun and unlike her and that maybe that's just what she needs. She slips back into the room and sees Jim is awake and facing her.

"Morning," she says with a little hesitance. "I was just, uh, calling my mom."

"Oh, how is she?" She can tell it's difficult for him to try to make conversation this early in the morning. The sleep in his voice and the way he's sort of sprawled amongst the sheets is kind of distracting to her, too.

"Good, I think. Yeah." She comes to sit on the edge of the bed, afraid of what she'll do if she climbs back in. "So it's not quite seven yet, but I thought maybe we could get an early start. Maybe get breakfast, plan our day. What do you think?"

"Is the restaurant open?"

"What?"

"The hotel's restaurant. I think they have--" he pauses to yawn, "--breakfast."

"Oh yeah, I think I saw they opened at six thirty." Jim nods and starts to close his eyes. "No falling back asleep, remember we're on a time-crunch here," she warns. "I'm going to hop in the shower, and if I find you asleep when I get out--"

"You'll what?"

"I'll... I don't know. But it will be bad." She tries to look serious, but he just laughs at her and she rolls her eyes. "I'll be quick."

It's past eight before they finally get downstairs for breakfast, but find the restaurant surprisingly empty. They bother order omelets-- cheese, no olives, extra tomatoes, and mushrooms. He also gets a huge side of bacon, which he promises to split, but she knows she'll be lucky to get even a strip. One thing she's learned this trip is that Jim likes big breakfasts, and he will not be happy without it. She finds it cute, somehow, but she's not really sure why.

"So I found some pamphlets on local attractions. The museum of Nature & Science has an IMAX that's playing a movie on sea monsters."

"Sea monsters, huh?"

"It's 'A Prehistoric Adventure'," she explains, her eyes bright.

"Then we are definitely going to that."

"Okay," she says almost shyly, a sweet smile on her lips. "Ooh, there's a water park. And oh my god, they have a ride with animatronic dinosaurs!"

He raises his eyebrows like there's no question about it-- they're going, and she laughs in the sort of way that makes her cheeks hurt. When she looks at him again she sees that warm, vulnerable, makes-her-heart-stop kind of way that she hasn't seen yet this trip. It kind of makes her want to die. In a good way.

"I think we're going to need more than one day here. You know, the IMAX movie, the museum, the water park... sounds like quite a lot to do," he says, shifting them away from any sort of 'moment' they might have been having.

"Yeah," she agrees, still reeling. "By the way, we are totally going to the water park, I hope you aren't joking, 'cause..."

"No, no, of course not. I like pretending I'm eight."

She lets out another fit of giggles, and they finish planning out their day.

They decide to go to the water park first, and Pam thinks the fact that her matronly striped one-piece is wet is a good excuse to break out the bikini. She'd bought it on a whim, and told herself while packing that it was only just in case (it didn't take up much room). She's not quite sure what really made her put it in, but she's glad she did, because she's feeling a little daring today and to be honest, she thinks she looks really cute in polka dots.

Jim, on the other hand, complains that his suit is still damp and thinks they ought to go tomorrow because he 'hates nothing more than putting on a wet bathing suit'. She calls him a baby and they go anyway. It's a bit of a drive, but she still thinks they get there too soon. Just as well, because she doesn't think any amount of time could make her fully prepared for a full day of barely clothed, wet shenanigans with Jim. But it makes her feel young and giddy and pretty and excited, so she goes with it.

It's awkward when they come out, both painfully aware of how under-dressed they are. Pam registers the look of surprise on Jim's face when he sees her, and realizes he had not been expecting her to come out wearing that. The bottoms are relatively conservative, and the top isn't skimpy, but this is more skin than Jim's ever seen and she can tell it affects him. She smiles and suggests they head for the lazy river.

"The lazy river, Pam? Really? All of these intense, fun, exciting water rides and you want the lazy river?"

She blushes slightly, because she is afraid of rides. She never went to amusement parks as a kid, and the one time she went on a roller coaster with Roy, she'd nearly wet herself. She doesn't tell him that, though. "I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to this type of thing."

"And you tell me this after we shelled out $35 a piece..."

She punches him lightly in the side and they grab their inner tubes.

They're floating, him on his stomach, her on her back, when she remarks that they are probably the only people here over fifteen who aren't obviously parents.

"Hey, nobody knows we don't have a kid off playing somewhere that we're too tired to keep up with."

"Don't you think we're a bit young to have a kid old enough to be by himself in a place like this?"

"Maybe we were precarious in high school," she says with a laugh. "And maybe we're just really bad parents."

She can tell he's trying to ignore the fact that they're talking about a hypothetical in which they're probably married, in which they have a kid, in which they've been together forever. She is too. Ignoring, that is. Or at least trying.

"You think you're brave enough to go to the dinosaur ride? Because I gotta tell ya, Pam, that was my main incentive to come."

"Aw, you didn't come for the lazy river?" she teases, biting her tongue.

"Not that this isn't great, you know, I love going three miles an hour in four feet of water and bumping into teenagers everywhere..."

"Shut up! Fine, we'll do the dinosaurs."

Floating in a two-person raft with Jim and making fun of amusement park rides while genuinely enjoying them is a joy she never really anticipated experiencing in her life, but it's one of the best things she's ever done. She can't remember the last time she felt so carefree. She doesn't even panic when Jim pushes her to go on the Screamin' Mimi, and if she does feel butterflies, she doesn't contemplate whether or not they're from the ride or from the feeling of Jim's legs are around her. She just screams and enjoys the ride.

They tire of the water park before sundown, and go back to the hotel to change and relax for awhile. She pulls her wet curls into a messy bun and puts on an oversized t-shirt and no bra, plopping herself on the bed with a sketchbook as he lays beside her with his laptop, reading restaurant reviews.

"How fancy do you want to be tonight?" he asks, not looking up from his computer screen.

"Do you mean how much money do I want to spend?"

"Yeah."

She stops sketching and looks at him. "I don't know. I don't have anything too dressy, so nowhere with meals that cost more than $20."

"How do you feel about cuban? There's a place that's got pretty good reviews. Most of their entrees are $20, $25, though. But it doesn't look too fancy."

"Halpert, I don't know if I've ever told you this, but cuban food is the true way to my heart. You really have no idea."

"Really? Well, I can't deny you that, then. And hey, if we get there before seven we can get half priced mojitos."

"You know I'm a lightweight."

"I also know you love mojitos."

She smiles at the fact that he's remembered, and hops off the bed to get dressed. She decides to go a little bold on the makeup, wearing thick mascara and a little bit of eyeliner. She even puts on a little blush, and tops it off with a red lipstick she knows looks fabulous on her, but rarely can find an excuse (or the courage) to wear. She slips into a blue knit dress she stole from her sister, and opts for flats. She lets her hair fall at her shoulders, and tries to tame her curls a little. She thinks she maybe even looks pretty.

Dinner is very date-like; she notices when he casually puts his hand on her lower back when they walk, and when he holds her gaze a little too long at their table. But it makes her feel beautiful and wanted and she thinks maybe sometime soon she'll have to give into him. From his performance today, she's 99% sure he still wants her, and that makes her feel giddier than she has in a long time. There's still a lot to talk about and overcome and deal with, but right now, none of that seems to matter. She's beginning to lose sight of reality, and allows herself to fall into this bizarre fantasy world they're living in. She's slipping, and she knows it, but for the first time she begins to think she doesn't even care.

She drinks enough to embolden her, but not enough to make her unaware of what she's doing. She's sober enough to feel the way his hand brushes her arm as they walk back into the hotel lobby, and the way his breath feels on her neck as he stands maybe-too-close to her in the elevator.

She's certainly sober enough to not know exactly what she's doing when she rests her palm flat on his chest and leans up to kiss him outside their room. She's sober enough to know he wants it too when she sees him fumble with their key, his lips barely grazing hers as he opens the door, grabs her by the waist and leads her firmly to bed.

She feels herself falling back onto their bed before she realizes what's happening. The twisted sheets are cool at her back, but he's hot on top of her, kissing and touching her like she's about to fall off the edge of the universe or something. His hands are warm as they play with the hem of her dress and inch up her inner thigh. He pulls away slightly, as if suddenly aware that this might not be okay, and she realizes that she's been less than active in this whole exchange so far. She takes the opportunity to slowly run her hand down the from of his shirt, her eyes transfixed along the path she's making, until she reaches his belt and lets her hand linger there, barely grazing his skin, as she returns her gaze to meet his.

He apparently thinks this is the hottest thing in the world, because he gets this deep, fiery look in his eyes and suddenly she feels lightheaded, giggling as he pulls off his shirt and crawls back on top of her, kissing her smile. She feels bolder now-- powerful and seductive, even-- and she palms his crotch, feels him growing even harder against her, and maybe even groaning a little, but she's not sure if the sounds she hears are coming from him or from her. It's deliciously satisfying, and she decides she's been clothed long enough. He's happy to help her remedy the situation.

She's pleased to find that despite the desperation and longing and frenzy, he's able to manage foreplay. She even giggles a little at the thought, because it's just so Jim to be so attentive, to make sure she's okay, that she's happy. And yeah, she's been thinking about those hands touching her in certain places for quite some time, and it's particularly satisfying to finally feel their full capabilities. She's not disappointed, he brings her to the edge in manner of minutes-- it's almost embarrassing how quickly she's coming, but the look on his face as she moans and clenches against his fingers makes her forget any of those thoughts, makes her feel only desired and hot and beautiful under his touch.

It's not until they're naked and he's thrusting into her, his head buried in the crock of her neck, gently nipping at her ear, that she realizes that neither of them have spoken a word yet. She thought she heard a muffled 'oh my god', and knows she's probably mumbled a few curses herself, but there are no declarations of love, not even a "God, Jim" escapes her lips. It's weird, even, that he just knew what she wanted. A look and he knew she needed him, like, now. But as hot as that thought may be, she doesn't have time to contemplate it, because he does this thing with his hips that makes her wrap her legs tighter around him and oh god, she's going to come.

He soon follows suit, and she senses his exhaustion immediately as he collapses against her, his breath ragged against the crook of her neck. She can't help a smile as she turns to look at him, cupping his face tenderly with her hands, hoping that he'll just get it if she kisses him, that he'll just know that yeah, this means a lot to her, but no, she doesn't want to talk about it. Because talking could be disastrous, and while she's not afraid of him, she is afraid of herself, and she doesn't like being in such tense and fragile situations so far from home.

He relaxes into her kiss, and she dazedly pulls herself on top of him, smiling into his lips. She thinks maybe she'll be the aggressive one this time.
End Notes:

Whew! Smut! It kind of threw off the flow to include that little bit in the next chapter, since I realized most of the chapters end at night and start in the morning. I promise the next chapter will be soon since this is only a few paragraphs of new stuff!

There is an IMAX movie called Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure, but it came out in 2007. I'm sorry, but I'm don't know what dorky IMAX movies were playing in Denver in June 2006.

The waterpark . The restaurant . Pam's blue dress.

To Vegas by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
In case you missed it, the last chapter has been edited to include steam. It's not extremely crucial to the plot, so you can skip it if that's not your thing.

She wakes up to warm arms around her waist and his breath hot against her neck. She grins and runs the back of her hand against his arm, then lightly caresses his hand, finally entwining it with hers. She feels him hold her more tightly and she responds in kind, maneuvering her body so he's really spooning her, and she thinks she hears him sigh into her hair. She wonders if he's awake, but as soon as she decides she'd prefer him not to be, she feels his lips moving lazily across her neck and shoulders. She has to bite her lip to keep from moaning, her eyes held tightly closed so she can tell herself later that this never happened, at least not consciously. There's a knot in her stomach and something in her brain, too, telling her that this is a bad idea, that now it'll be too hard to keep up the charade. And the charade is all they know how to do.

Their dazed morning caresses are kept silent, both maybe pretending to be asleep. She thinks it's early, and she kind of hopes that maybe they'll fall asleep again and wake up on opposite sides of the bed and it'll almost be like this never happened. She almost gets her wish when their movements stop for awhile, and though she doubts he's asleep, she's able to slip out of his arms and into the shower. If he is awake, he doesn't stop her.

The water pressure from the hotel showerhead is dissatisfying, and she turns the heat up high enough to burn to compensate. She wants to escape, or at least to feel momentarily liberated from this awkward, tense, lust-driven trap she finds herself in. The water isn't really helping-- in fact, it kind of hurts-- but she doesn't turn it down. Steam fills the room and she tries to clear her mind, or at least calm down enough so that she can actually wrap her head around what's happened.

Their first time had been frantic, almost chaotic, but he had still paid her enough attention to make sure she was enjoying it, too. She remembers Roy's first time, and how he had come quickly and left her dissatisfied and hurting, but she thinks it isn't really fair to compare because they were kids then and Jim is an adult. Still, for what it was, he had kept it together pretty well. She remembers how she'd had his name on the tip of her tongue, arching toward him to tell her she needed him, and he had just got it before she even said anything. She remembers the laugh on her lips as he pulled a condom from his wallet, how she'd cocked an eyebrow and he'd smirked like 'well, obviously it's coming in handy, so I wasn't being too presumptuous'. She remembers how he'd mimicked her reaction when the second time she pulled one from her purse, which she'd thoughtfully managed to place on the nightstand during his assault the night before.

They hadn't spoken a word the whole time, but the silent banter, the way he'd laughed with his lips against her breast, had made everything so easy and carefree. She imagines nothing about sex with Jim ever would be forced. She tries to focus on her shampoo instead of continuing down that train of thought. Dammit, fucking him was supposed to make the sexual tension easier to deal with, it was supposed to be a release. But now she knows what he looks like naked. And that he's naked right now. In her bed. Their bed. Fuck.

She gets out of the shower and pulls on her least flattering jeans and an old t-shirt, letting her hair fall messily around her shoulders. Her skin is red from the heat and she's aware that she definitely does not look sexy right now, and she hopes that's a good thing.

She walks out and avoids looking at the bed, instead fishing through her bag for maps and pamphlets to plan their day. It's already nine, and she thinks they ought to get going pretty soon, especially since their check-out is at eleven.

Heading for the breakfast table, she steals a glance at Jim and notices his eyes are closed, though she thinks he might be awake. He stirs as she gets settled, hoping she can provide herself some distraction. It doesn't really work-- she hears his body moving against the sheets (oh god, the sound is kind of really hot) and she turns to offer him a non-committal, "Good morning."

"Morning," he mumbles back, looking slightly confused.

"I'm trying to figure out what we should do today. I was thinking we probably want to get on the road before dark. What do you think?"

"Yeah." His voice is thick and groggy and it makes her toes tingle a little.

"Well, check out's in two hours, you might want to think about getting up," she says with a smile. He groans and buries his face in his (actually, her) pillow and she giggles, picking up one of the decorative pillows off the floor and hurling it at his back. He mumbles something, but doesn't retaliate, and she tells him he's hopeless. "I'm going to go find some muffins, you want anything?" He doesn't seem to respond, so she says, "Muffins it is!" and hops out the door.

On her way downstairs she has a little time to think about whether or not she's doing the right thing by taking the tried and true friendly path where she smiles and they pretend nothing monumental has happened between them. It seems safe, but she's a little worried that that sort of thing isn't going to work after, you know, that. It's much easier when she's engaged and they just work together and he hasn't confessed his undying love for her, but what else can she do? Nothing that doesn't terrify her, that's for sure.

When she comes back into the room he's sitting on the edge of the bed in his boxers, his hands on his face as he stares at the wall, looking far away. He doesn't seem to notice her come in, not until she murmurs a soft 'hey' and something about the muffins.

"Blueberry?" he asks, turning to her as she plops herself next to him on the bed. Her grin is wide as she nods, pulling one out for him. "Thanks."

"I can't believe you like blueberry better than banana nut," she says conversationally, taking a big bite out of her muffin while she avoids looking at his naked chest. Or his disheveled hair. Or his-- whoops, let's stop right there.

"Who likes banana nut? Banana is, like, the worst fruit. It's right up there with the cranberry."

"What is wrong with you, I love cranberry, especially in muffins. In fact, the only thing that would make this banana nut muffin better would be if it had cranberries in it."

"You are lying," he says matter-of-factly. She looks indignant. "C'mon, you know that is a lie, that is like the worst muffin combination--"

"Dwight likes bran muffins!"

"Okay, first of all, way to bring up Dwight for the first time this entire trip-- I thank for you for that. Secondly, that is not an argument, it's Dwight."

"Shut up! My cranana-nut muffin is going to make me millions."

"Cranana-nut?" he asks, failing pathetically to hide his smile.

"Yeah, I just come up with that, like, on the spot," she says with mock pride.

"Impressive." He looks so cute as he says it that she leans over and kisses him, just without thinking, and it's slightly awkward because she's cupping his face with one hand and holding a muffin in the other, and he's just dumbly holding his muffin, but it's kind of sweet anyway.

She's blushing as she pulls away, and changes the subject. "So we're supposed to be checked out by eleven, we should probably get going."

"Yeah," he responds, his voice hazy.

"You mind if I use your computer while you shower? I'm thinking we might want to look up hotels or something instead of just randomly picking them when we get there, you know?"

"Yeah, sure." He seems kind of dazed and she's sure this has to be about ten times as confusing for him as this is for her because she knows she's giving him all kinds of mixed signals, which probably isn't very nice, but she keeps clinging to the hope that things will just work themselves out without being all weird and tense and awkward and painful.

She mapquests the distance to Vegas, and sees it's just under eleven hours. She's not all that impressed with Denver, and figures if they skip some of their plans here, they could get to Vegas that night. But it kind of screws up her plan to suggest they just drive right through, because seriously, casinos? They haven't spoken a word of that night yet, or anything regarding his transfer or Roy or any of it, and it's still too fresh for it to not be completely awkward. But she wants to see Vegas. Something about the cheesy glamour and that it's so different from her life in Scranton makes it seem like a waste to just drive through. She doesn't have too much time to come to a very good decision about what they should do, since Jim is already dressed and out of the shower (how do boys get ready so fast?).

"I googled cranana-nut, and it looks like somebody's already beaten me to the chase."

"There go your millions."

"I know, it's tragic." She pauses, a bit hesitant to continue. Although on some level she knows it'll just be more awkward if they don't figure this out now. "I was thinking, you know I'm not really into gambling, so maybe we could spend just like one day in Las Vegas? It's going to be hot, too, and like, I want to see all the tacky attractions, especially since we'll be driving through there anyway--" She feels herself rambling, and she's not exactly sure what her point is anyway.

"Yeah, no, I agree. I'm not really... yeah."

"Okay," she says quickly. "Maybe we can spend a few more hours here around downtown and stuff, then head out? It's a lot of driving and I'm really sick of driving, but if we switch off we should be okay. Get there by like eleven or so."

"Okay," he says in a way that makes her think he's just saying it, that he'd say 'okay' to anything.

"I mean, I don't know if that's the best way to go. We're going to be really tired, plus, this is stupid, but I hate paying for a hotel just to sleep, you know? It's the same price whether you get there in the early afternoon or if you get there late at night. Like, I could be using their hot water and free ice and pool and whatever all day, I'm paying for it, so-- okay, I sound cheap and ridiculous." She blushes nervously, wondering how she had just managed to make this discussion even more strained and uncomfortable.

"No, that makes sense," he sounds kind of distant and she can't tell at all what he's thinking, or what he wants.

"I don't know, what do you think? I guess if we stay in a cheap motel or something outside the city it won't really matter. I didn't know if you wanted to stay in one of the huge 'themed' ones."

"I guess--" He takes a step towards the bed and seems to be trying to focus on the conversation. "I don't know, I kind of like the idea of staying in one of those inordinately extravagant hotels, but it's not very practical and it might be kind of--"

"I'm sorry," she giggles, "but did you just say 'inordinately'?"

"What, what's wrong with me saying 'inordinately'?"

"There's nothing wrong with it, it's just you don't seem like the kind of guy who would say 'inordinately'. I don't think I've ever heard you say it the entire time I've known you."

"Are you calling me stupid?" he laughs, slightly affronted, though she can't quite tell if it's an act.

"No! Of course not, it's just... such an inordinately complicated word to say such a simple thought. What's wrong with 'very'?"

"Like if I had just said, 'those very extravagant hotels'? It wouldn't have meant the same thing. I could have used 'unnecessarily' or 'exceedingly' or 'superlatively' or--"

"I get it, you know big words, I'm sorry!" She thinks she's laughing harder than the situation calls for. "Okay and did you just use air quotes? Because I think that's worse even than--"

"Shut it, Beesly, or we're going to be late," he interrupts, feigning severity. "And I'm not going to pay for an extra night due to your shenanigans."

"Fine, I'll stop my 'shenanigans'." She mimics his air quotes.

He shakes his head solemnly, and says, "Such a dork," which of course causing her to erupt in another fit of laughter.

"Okay, okay, I'm really packing now."

They end up downstairs to check out just after ten, and then head to a cafe to plan the rest of their trip. Jim thinks they should splurge on some luxury room and order room service and pretend they're fancy, but Pam's not quite convinced... not because she doesn't think that it would be amazing, but because it's not practical and it's just not... she's a little scared, maybe.

"Oh my god, there's a hotel called 'THEhotel', look at this," she giggles, showing him her computer screen. "Is that not the most lame, pretentious name you have ever heard of?"

"You're right, we should go for the Venetian, much classier, like a taste of Italy."

"C'mon, THEhotel? That's eighty times lamer because it's not even a theme. It's just like 'stay here, it's the hotel, all the other hotels suck'. But they do have nice rooms."

"Then their marketing scheme is working. Sounds like it's the place to stay."

"I hate that they have beautiful rooms. Plus the cheapest they have for tonight is still $200."

"That's not that much..."

"C'mon, it's already looking like this vacation is going to take way longer than three weeks, we've already spend plenty on gas and rooms and it's only going to get more expensive. I'm just a receptionist, Jim, I can't really afford this-- I mean, I just became financially independent from Roy, my place is still more expensive than half of what our old house was, even though it's more than half as small..."

"Yeah, but this is still way cheaper than what I was going to spend in Australia, and it would have sucked to on this trip by myself, so really, you're doing me a favor--"

"So you should be paying me, like a common prostitute?" Her eyes go wide as she realizes what she's said, and she murmurs a hasty, "That was inappropriate."

"No, that's, uh," he scratches the back of his head, stifling a laugh. "Wow. Well, no, actually, not like a common prostitute.  But I do appreciate the company. And I'll pay for a nicer room, it's fine. Unless you're uncomfortable, I don't mind staying at a Motel 6--"

"No, it's not that. I would love to stay in a fancy hotel, that's not really... I don't know, it just feels weird, I would feel like I owed you."

"Seriously, Pam, don't worry about it. Personally, I'd rather stay in a fancy hotel because I've never done that before; that last place we stayed was like the nicest hotel I'd ever been in."

"Me too! I was going to say something but I thought it would sound pathetic."

"So now we're both pathetic?"

"Well, I suppose we won't be if we stay in a nice hotel..." She kind of hates that she's so easy to win over, but really, considering the outcome, she can't be too upset. "But that just pisses me off even more about getting in late, like this 'THEhotel', they have these amazingly beautiful bathrooms in all their rooms that I want to enjoy, you know?"

"Don't worry about it. We'll stay two nights and leave Saturday morning. That should give you plenty of time in the bathroom."

"Shut up, they have TVs in there and jacuzzi tubs. It's--"

"Inordinately extravagant?"

"Yeah, exactly. I want to enjoy that. Not that we'd stay there-- not all these hotels have TVs in the bathrooms and amazing tubs and hundred dollar towels, so I guess. I don't know, where do you want to stay?"

"Just look on Expedia or Travelocity or something and pick whatever you want."

"Whatever I want, huh? I'm pretty sure some of these places cost over $1,000 a night."

"Under $200, then. Go crazy."

She ultimately realizes that the rooms at THEhotel are the most decadent for the price, which kind of makes her angry, but Jim has no objections and she books a standard suite for two nights. She uses his credit card and it kind of puts butterflies in her stomach because there's no backing out now. Fancy, romantic hotel room, in Las Vegas, with Jim. She so didn't see that one coming a week ago.

"You want to do anything else in town before we go?" he asks as they settle back into the car. It's just past eleven, and they're hoping to be there in twelve hours, which allows for a few stops and little traffic or other impediments.

"I don't really have anything fancy enough for nice restaurants, I don't know if that's a problem. Do you?"

"No. I mean, I have a pair of slacks. But what I wear to the office is about the 'fanciest' stuff I own."

She laughs. "Okay, well, I guess we won't worry about it. I have the blue dress and heels, I can get some mileage out of that."

"You're not trying to sucker me into shopping, are you?"

"No, no. I'm not Kelly, trust me. Let's just get gas and snacks and head out? I'd kind of like to drive if you don't mind. I hate driving when I'm tired, so..."

"That's fine. We'll switch at the gas station."

They're out of town well within the hour, and Pam's actually kind of happy to be on the open highway, music playing softly, neither saying much, but it's not really weird. It's nice, but she gets bored before they reach 200 miles.

"We're out of new music," she complains. "Are there any games we haven't played yet?"

"Uh, truth or dare?"

"Oh-kay," she says skeptically. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"Okay. I dare you... to clap your hands five times."

"That's all you got?"

"Yup. Sorry. Let's see it." He obliges.

"Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"I dare you to take your hands off the steering wheel for three whole seconds."

"Whoa, that's a risky one." She does it. "Okay, I think we're done with truth or dare. Name that tune?"

The whole trip continues mostly in that vein. They've done too much driving to be creative in their amusement anymore. Eventually they just sit in silence, windows down, and drive.

"We're reaching the 400 mile mark, you ready to take over?"

They pull over to get gas, refill on snacks, and she complains that she needs a real meal, but refuses to stop because she's getting tired and wants to get there as soon as possible. Jim says her logic is faulty and that she's impossible to please, and she just rolls her eyes and says he doesn't understand anything.

As night falls, she finds she can't fall asleep, maybe from anxiety. She's restless, and begins to complain that she just wants to be there and that driving is stupid and that she is just so tired and the car is so uncomfortable.

"Are you going to be like the rest of the trip?"

"Yes. I guess you haven't been around me enough to realize that I'm actually incredibly high-maintenance, and that there's no pleasing me."

"No pleasing you, huh? So should I just give up? Treat you to Wendy's and shady motels?"

"No. Well, maybe. But you've already booked two nights in a fancy hotel, and you're paying for it, so I would say I've already won."

"I thought you wanted Motel 6."

"No, I just made you think I wanted Motel 6. See? I'm also manipulative and conniving."

"Damn, all this time?"

"Yup. Sorry. And now you're stuck with me, so get used to it." She says it without thinking, but she quickly realizes its implications (she did mean 'stuck with me for this trip', right?) and changes the subject before he can respond. "Did we end up getting the cheesy crackers?"

He responds in the affirmative, and she pulls them out of the backseat and begins gorging herself even though she's not really that hungry. She just needs something to do. Even with a full stomach, she's not sleepy, and it's starting to bug her for real. It's almost ten, and they should be there within an hour or two, but it still seems like too long. Of course she's not exactly sure what she wants to happen when they do get there. She wants to sleep, but she also wants to enjoy the fancy jacuzzi (preferably, with Jim) and do... other things, too. Although other things are notably less exciting when she's exhausted.

When the city lights come into view, she gets really on edge, which is annoying because she's tired and she doesn't like being this anxious when she's tired.  Jim seems nervous, too, by the way he's gripping the steering wheel. Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe they're not ready for this.

They pull into the hotel and Pam really doesn't want to deal with checking in, so she collapses in one of the waiting chairs and promptly drifts off.

"C'mon, sleepyhead, we're almost to bed."

"'Sleepyhead'?" she murmurs, dazed and reluctant to stand up.

"Yes, now I'll get your bags if you promise to walk the whole way there yourself. Which, by the way, is kind of unfair since I was the one driving while you had the freedom to nap."

"High-maintenance," she smirks, finding the strength to follow him.

Their room isn't very high up, but as soon as they open the door she can see windows opening up to a beautifully lighted view, and there are plush couches with fine pillows and a flat-screen TV and basically the room is amazing.

"Wow," she murmurs, suddenly feeling a little more awake. "Let's check out the bathrooms."

They find slab marble, an enormous tub, TV, shower, soft towels and it's so unlike what Pam's used to. She really, really wishes she weren't so tired, but she is so she heads for the bedroom. It's stylish, too, but she doesn't have too much time to contemplate that as she collapses on the bed. She's almost asleep again when Jim shakes her and tells her she really shouldn't sleep in her clothes.

"Hey, I put up with a bunch of complaining about bra chaffing after you slept in the car the other day, I am not going through that again."

She pulls her shirt and bra off at once, falling back onto the bed with a muffled, "Happy now?" She's being petulant, but she sometimes gets like this when she's exhausted. She barely contemplates the fact that they're not really intimate enough for her random topless-ness to not be weird, but she's face down on the bed anyway.

"Jeans, too."

"Sleep," she argues, but it's not very convincing, and he pulls them off of her before she can object. He even maneuvers the blankets so she's under them, and if she were more awake she would have wondered how he'd managed that.

She's almost asleep by the time he comes to bed, and he seems a little timid to touch her. She doesn't know if it's because she's practically naked and that's weird or because she's practically naked and that's erotic, but she shifts over to him anyway, wrapping his arm around her as she buries her face in his chest. The last thing she feels before she drifts off is his hand tracing circles on her back.

Las Vegas by deerinthepark
She wakes up in the middle of the night, and she finds she's using his chest as a pillow, with one arm wrapped protectively around his waist. He's still sort of embracing her, his breathing is steady and languid, and her breath catches in her throat because she just can't do anything but love him in that moment. That's when she realizes she can't do this, can't ignore all that's going on anymore. She's almost a little angry that he let her get away with all her toying with him and ignoring and everything else, even though she's happy he's respected her decision to keep quiet. But it's not fair and it's too much and she's in love with him and it has to be said. Even with a new resolution to talk to him in the morning, sleep is not easy-coming.

She wakes up again when he leaves the bed, apparently to go to the bathroom. When he gets back, they'll talk. If he's not too tired. Damn, she hopes he's not too tired. She's not sure what time it is, but it's morning at least.

He seems surprised to find her awake when he comes back. She's propped up against the headboard, sheets pulled up to cover her chest, and she looks serious. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up," he says nervously.

"No, it's okay." Her voice is no less shaky than his. "Can we talk?" His response is a quiet nod, and she can tell he's afraid. She hates that she does this to him. "I'm sorry I haven't, you know, said anything about... what happened. I guess I should thank you for not pushing me to, I know I've been kind of weird and edgy about it, especially yesterday." He's looking at her intently, but she tries not to be too distracted-- she needs to just get this out. "I called off my wedding because of you." His expression remains severe and muddled, which doesn't make things easier. "I should have told you that. But I'm telling you now. Roy wasn't... we weren't right together. There were a lot of reasons to call off my wedding, but the truth is I didn't care about any of them until I met you. And now it's all confusing and I'm sorry for that, but I wanted to just not deal with any of that during this trip-- I wanted to escape, you know? But I can't be with you all the time and not want to... be with you." Her sentence ends awkwardly and she can feel the heat rising on her cheeks and it's painful to continue. "I don't really know what we're doing, but I'm sorry if it's been hard for you or... weird for you, or whatever," she finishes lamely.

"Pam, you don't have to--" but he doesn't have an end to that thought.

"Don't you want to talk about it? If you don't, that's fine, I just hate that it's so awkward, you know?" She feels her confidence waning.

"Yeah, I guess I do. I do. God, Pam, I've waited so long for you to say that." He runs his hand absently through his hair, and she can tells he's still processing all she's said. "But I wanted this trip to be carefree, too. If I even think for a second about how much I--" he stops himself, looking like he can't find the right words. "You're right, it's been really fucking hard to be close to you and not... know."

She offers him a half-smile, and places her hand gently on top of his. "I know." She takes a deep breath, but she's not sure she can say what she knows she needs to, the one thing she can say that might make things better because it's painful to look at him right now. "I'm not ready to be in a relationship, not so soon after Roy." Whoops, that wasn't it. "But I don't want to lose you again." Getting warmer. "Shit, Jim. This is just a really big deal." Just say it. "I love you." Her words apparently need know follow-up, because he's bringing her lips to his before she can even open her mouth again.

"Forget the rest," he says in between kisses. "I don't care about the rest." Her heart swells when he says this because it's perfect, and she fervently returns his passion, wrapping herself around him as he turns to hover over her, his urgency so fantastically more amorous than the first time. He nips at her neck, her clavicle, her breasts-- he's fucking everywhere, and she wraps one leg around his to show him how much she needs this. God, he looks good in the morning sunlight as he moves down her body, playing with the hem of her panties before pulling them off. He trails kisses down her torso, finally finds the right spot and hits it on the fucking mark.

She moans his name this time, and it sounds obscene on her lips. Her hips rock in time with his movements, and she's so fucking close when he replaces his tongue with his fingers, so his lips can meet hers when she comes. It's such an erotic gesture that she's hot again almost immediately, and rolls on top of him to return the favor. Her mouth isn't on him long before he's begging her off and it's with a sultry smile that she trails back up to his lips, enjoying her power over him. He pulls her back underneath him, so fluidly that she barely has time to register what he's doing before she's on her back and arching towards him. He presses his forehead to hers and just looks at her, the gaze in his eyes so intense that she knows this needs to happen really soon or she'll pretty much die.

"Shit, I don't have--"

"Purse-- coffee table," she chokes out, immediately missing his presence. She would laugh at his desperation as he rifles through her purse, because it is a strangely hilarious image, but she's too hot and too desperate and he needs to find it right now.

He's successful and back on top of her in seconds, and she steals the condom from him and opens it with her teeth (something Roy used to always like, though she found it cheesy), pulling it out and sensually rolling it on him. For a second she worries it might have been too much, but as soon as he presses against her all thoughts go to hell and she's moaning 'Jim' like his name is the last thing she'll ever say.

"Jesus, Pam," he groans, just as she runs her leg up his, and he enters her without hesitation. His first thrust elicits a gasp from her, and she moves her hips to catch his rhythm. It's sloppy at first, but quickly picks up until she's so painfully close and just not quite there. He seems to sense this and pulls away momentarily, only to pull her leg over his shoulder so he has more leverage. It's rougher than she would have expected from Jim, but it's so fucking good that expectations be damned-- she comes almost immediately. It doesn't take much more from him to release, too, and he falls down next to her, pulling her with him so he's entwined with him and she's kissing him lazily and it's amazing.

"I love you," he says as she pulls away for breath. "I'm so fucking in love with you, Pam." He says it like it's the only thing he can say, like he needs to tell her over and over, and it makes her heart swell. She doesn't have the strength to say it back right now, but later, as they lie quietly tangled in the sheets, noon quickly approaching, she whispers it into his ear and it feels so good to say it again that she thinks she'll never want to get out of bed.

It's just past three when they finally decide that their day in Las Vegas shouldn't be totally wasted.

"Wasted, Pam? I'm a little offended."

"God, you know what I meant. We are doing things that can be done anywhere, and--"

"Anywhere, huh?" The look in his eyes tell her this is the happiest she's ever seen him.

"Shut up. We only have one more night here and I'd hate to regret not seeing some of the sights. Not that this hotel room isn't beautiful..."

"Okay. Fine. What do you want to see?"

She rambles off about the things she's heard about in Vegas, the things she read on the internet while they were still in Denver. The Bellagio fountains sound pretty, and she thinks you can take a trip to the top of the fake Eiffel tower (but she's kind of afraid of heights), and she wonders how she's still talking. "What do you want to do?"

"Anything you want to do." Her heart skips a beat with the seriousness of his statement, his eyes convincing her how utterly true it is that he'll do anything she wants. It's almost too much.

"What if I want to shop all day?"

He smirks and runs his thumb absently down her arm. "That's down there on the list of things I want to do with you, but if that's what you want..."

"What about a show? We could see some really tacky topless show with lots of rhinestones."

"I thought we were being classy?"

"Oh, right. Well, if you want to take me to some classy, expensive show, by all means don't let me stand in the way."

He laughs. "I don't need to see a show, I only want to if you want to. I am perfectly happy staying in this hotel room all day."

"Really? What if all we did was play Go Fish?"

He hesitates only slightly. "Still okay with that."

"You're only saying that because you know it'll get you laid, anyway." The words feel weird on her lips, because things are still incredibly fresh and not-entirely-worked-out. "How about we go to some overpriced shops, then maybe hit up some slots to waste even more money-- because we have to gamble at least a little while we're here-- and then dinner and then the Bellagio fountains?"

"Perfect."

"You're too agreeable, it's frustrating."

"Fine, let's not do any of that, let's stay here."

"Strike that, you're impossible."

They shower together, in theory to save time, but they end up taking a little longer than they should, which Pam pretends to be upset about.

"My hair is never going to dry now. It takes hours, I'm serious. Hours."

"Then leave it, it's hot out, it'll keep you cool."

She smiles at the suggestion (so not her to leave with her hair wet-- when was the last time she did that?), and she throws on a pair of nice black jeans and one of her nicer tank tops, hoping to be comfortable, but not too dressed down to have to come back before dinner. She throws a cardigan in her bag in case it gets chilly, and they're ready to go.

They take a shuttle to the Forum Shops, which are apparently the 'best retail experience in Vegas', and Pam tells Jim he needs to stop her if she tries to buy anything extravagant. She feels giddy in a way she hasn't this trip, because finally this thing that's happening and all this acting on impulse is starting to feel okay. She's losing her inhibitions and it's making her way to shop, which is probably a bad idea-- she doesn't want to turn into Kelly. But being happy makes her want new things, to look good, and be a different kind of Pam (but not too different).

She tries on dresses that she could never afford, all of which he says she looks great in. Which is detrimental to her resolve to not buy anything, but she's in love with how different Jim's 'you look great' is from Roy's 'you look great'. She knows she shouldn't compare, but it's such a very guy-like thing to say to every single dress, and of course Jim would have to find a way to make in genuine. As she sees his face when she tries on a particularly elegant and particularly little black dress, she wonders how she ever could have mistaken the look in his eyes for anything else, how she could have ever thought that ignoring it was a good idea.

In the end, shopping doesn't last too long, because after a few nice dress shops Pam has her fill and they walk toward the Bellagio. They stop along the way to see the main spectacles at a few hotels, but honestly casinos are still somewhat awkward, so they mostly admire them from the outside. They do play the slots, just for a bit (their own hotel doesn't have them), but Pam quickly declares that they really shouldn't lose any more of their money when this trip is already expensive. He kisses her when she says it, telling her he loves how practical she is, that it's cute. She doesn't really see how that kind of thing should elicit such a response, but she kisses him back anyway.

Dinner isn't particularly fancy, but they manage to find a quiet Italian place, which is so fucking stereotype-romantic that it almost bugs her. But so is a lot of what's happened since they've been in Vegas, and so far she has no complaints. They share a pasta dish, she thinks, but honestly the meal is the last thing from her mind. Even later, as they watch the dancing lights and water, her thoughts are on him more than anything else; she barely sees what's happening in front of her. It's so cheesy, but she thinks cheesy is okay in Vegas. And if cheesy is Jim's lips on hers, his warm hands on her lower back, their faces silhouetted against the spectacle behind them-- well, then, she has no problem with cheesy.

It's not really that late by the time they head back to the hotel, but both are a bit overzealous to get back to their room. In the back of her mind she feels a little guilty for jumping into this thing so quickly. It's easy to when they're in this fantasy-land, but it's not real life. Didn't she just break up with her fiancé? Remember Roy? How she was supposed to marry him last Saturday? It makes her a sick to think about, so she tries not to. But she knows she can't get too lost in this world where she's with Jim and Jim's with her and that's all that matters. It's never that simple.

As he presses into her that night in their bed, and even later in the jacuzzi, she wonders if it can last-- if this is really enough, because it feels like it is, but she's been fooled before. She also wonders (for the first time since her twenties) if it's possible to die from sexual exhaustion. But that's neither here nor there.

Later, when she's curled up at his side and their room smells like sex, she takes a deep breath and tries to focus on the present. As she falls asleep, all she thinks about is how excited she is to wake up again in his arms.
End Notes:
This chapter is what I'm dubbing my "fuzzy bunnies" chapter, but things won't stay quite so fluffy.
Reaching the Ocean by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
I'm so sorry this took so long! I had to move and then classes started and blah blah blah... plus this chapter was a difficult one, since it's kind of transition. I hope people still remember this story!
"Jim?" Her voice, quiet and sleepy, cuts through the silent room.

"Yeah?"

"I was just wondering if you were awake."

"Mmph," he mumbles, and she almost thinks he's annoyed with her for waking him before feeling his lips spread into a grin against her neck.

"Were you sleeping?" she asks, hazy. The feeling of him all around her is still dizzying.

"I was trying to." His voice is ragged and thick with sleep. She loves him like this.

"Sorry," she says needlessly, and she thinks he mumbles something in return, but it's not long before she feels his heavy, languid breathing against her back and she knows he's asleep.

She's glad for a little time to think, although she's not sure that she'll be able to do so very objectively with his hand splayed out wide and warm at her waist and his legs entwined with hers. If she's honest with herself, she's feeling a little suffocated, being with him all the time without a moment to think about why or how she feels or what any of it means. It's not that she regrets the trip, she doesn't, it's just... it's complicated.

After Casino Night, and especially after she left Roy, Pam thought a lot about her future... whether or not Jim could be a part of it. And whenever she envisioned it, it turned out all wrong, it was never easy. She saw herself faltering, she saw him crying, she saw them angry. She saw painful, maybe violent confrontations with Roy, she saw perhaps even more painful moments at Dunder-Mifflin. She saw them trying to make it work, she saw them fighting, she saw lazy Sunday mornings and words too saccharine for a Meg Ryan movie. She saw an endless amount of possibilities, but none of them were perfect or easy. None of them allowed her to get to the point she wanted to get to with Jim, and that was just she just wanted to be with him, for it to magically to progress to that phase where everything is exciting, but it's comfortable. Where they're just Jim and Pam, like always.

And that's why she feels like this is cheating. Because yeah, there had been some awkward moments, and some cheesy ones as well, but it wasn't-- it's like they're already here. The way they keep up the banter and the way they don't talk about their feelings until they're sick of feeling them. The way he's just holding her, and it's not like he's afraid of losing her, or like he has anything to prove. He just is. It's everything and nothing and-- fuck.

She tries to remember that no matter what happens, Jim is the one who always makes her feel better in situations like this. Shit, that's what got her into this mess in the first place, right? It'll be okay. It'll all work out. Deep breath.

But she can't fall back asleep.

It's almost two hours later when he finally stirs again, and he seems to notice her body is stiffer against him. That she's not melding beautifully into him like she was before.

"Are you okay Pam?" She almost hates how perceptive he is, because she doesn't want to hurt him.

"Yeah," she murmurs, but it sounds half-assed. "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"Good thinking or bad thinking?"

"Just thinking," she sighs. He maybe nods, and loosens his hold on her. She doesn't want it to be like this, doesn't want her little insecurities to be the catalyst for any problems, because they're already walking on eggshells. So she grabs his hand, the one that's still lightly touching her waist, and entwines it with her own, bringing them both to her chest. "We should probably get going pretty soon," she murmurs.

There's just a hint of tension in his voice when he replies, "Yeah."

Over breakfast they look at a map and see that the ocean's only about four hours away. Pam feels her stomach twirling, and she has to remind herself that it's just an ocean like any other ocean, that it's all the same water, that she's going to be disappointed. It doesn't make her anticipation dissipate in the least. Excitement mingles with anxiety and she feels like she's going to explode.

"You seem tense," Jim remarks as she taps her spoon nervously against her lips.

"I am tense. I guess I'm excited. This is just-- weird, you know?"

"Yeah, I know."

"By about 5 o'clock tonight we're going to be wading in the Pacific Ocean. In like Los Angeles. It's so bizarre."

He smiles at her like he can't help it, and she feels herself blushing as her lips curled into a nervous smile. "You ready?" he asks, raised eyebrow.

She's practically bouncing in her chair as she replies, "Yes."

By the time they've been on the road about an hour, she starts to settle down, and those insecurities begin to take over, so that she hardly feels giddy at all anymore. She flips through the local radio stations unsatisfied, and eventually settles for silence, turning her gaze to the window instead for distraction.

It doesn't really help. She's still brought back to those what-the-fuck-are-we-doing thoughts, and she can't help but picture Roy's face when he inevitably finds out what she's done. And that's only a small part of her worries. Never mind that Jim lives in Stamford now, that she hates her cheap new apartment, and that she doesn't know what the hell she's doing with her life.

She can tell Jim notices her every change in mood. So maybe she's just as perceptive, because she remarked a slight hesitance in his demeanor over breakfast, even though she tried to act (and to some extent, felt) happy and thrilled. Through the reflection in the window she can just make out how his hands are gripping the steering wheel in the I-don't-know-what's-going-on-so-I'll-just-stay-quiet-and-tense-and-drive kind of way. Yeah. She's pretty good at reading him.

She wants to tell him that she loves him, because she's only really said it once (and few times in moments of passion). Never in a moment like this, where it's quiet and there's just a little tension in the air. She wants to reassure him that it's okay. But it's really not entirely, and she doesn't trust herself right now, so instead she reaches behind her seat for her sketchbook.

She curls her body up into the seat-- legs crossed, back against the window-- and faces him. He shoots her a brief look of skepticism, and she sees the hint of a smile as he turns back to the road. She draws for about ten minutes before he says anything.

"Okay, you're kind of creeping me out. I feel like I'm under a microscope."

"Shh, you're ruining the mood."

He lets out a soft laugh and she draws for a few more minutes before announcing she's 'almost done'. She's surprised how easy it is to capture him, how she doesn't even have to look up half the time to know exactly how his nose curves at the tip, or how his jaw meets his neck. She knows him, and it's kind of a strange experience to put it all on paper.

"This is actually quite like you."

"Wait, you were drawing me?"

"Shut up," she laughs, hitting him lightly with her sketchbook. "Want to see?"

He nods and looks towards her, and he almost lets the car swerve off the road as he does because, "Pam, that's really good."

"I can't tell if that's a compliment to me or to yourself," she smirks happily, feeling much better than she did twenty minutes ago.

"Definitely to you." He meets her eyes once more and he just looks so genuine that her heart breaks a little.

It's weird, how the little moments make her feel so much better. She wants him to know they're okay, that she knows she's been fickle with her emotions lately. But it's still too hard to say, so instead she whispers his name and gives him a shy smile and he seems to get it.

She must fall asleep at some point, because later she awakes and finds herself leaned up awkwardly towards Jim, but not really on him, because there's a gap, and her neck really hurts.

"Why did you let me sleep in that position?" she asks groggily.

"I don't know, I thought maybe you were comfortable."

"How could I be comfortable in that position?" She squints her eyes because she's tried, and she tries to look angry too, but he just laughs and she pouts. "Fuck you," she mumbles, but she's not really convincing.

"So we're about fifteen minutes from the beach."

A slow smile creeps across her face and she peers out the window. "Oh my god," she whispers, her eyes glossy as she greets the sun.

She sits in the car a full two minutes once they arrive in the parking lot, her eyes wide in shock. Her mouth forms an 'o' and she looks to Jim, then finally opens the car and runs towards the beach. The water hits her feet and it's like she's a new person, she feels so free. In this moment, there's nothing else. Just her and him and the sand beneath their feet.

She's just standing there, her eyes dancing, when he takes her by the waist and throws her over his shoulder.

"You are so dead!" she screeches, pounding fruitlessly on his back.

"You wanted the ocean," he contests, a smirk evident in his tone.

"Put me down!" she shrieks, almost sounding like Kelly except for the genuine happiness in her voice.

"Okay," he replies, letting her fall towards the water.

"You better not!"

"So fickle." He hoists her back over his shoulder. "God, you're heavy."

"Shut up. I am so seriously going to kick your ass."

"Big words coming from someone who looks like she really doesn't want to get dropped in the water right now."

"You're horrible!" She pinches him for lack of any other retaliation.

"Hey!" In one fell sweep, he brings her over his shoulder and into his arms, and she's so shocked by the shift that she can't do anything but stare at him, her arms wrapped around his neck. He's got this look in his eyes that's kind of like another look she remembers from a dark parking lot not too long ago. Her breath catches and she's suddenly nervous, and it's like before, when this was so far from okay. She thinks it wouldn't take much effort to just lean, ever so subtly, and--

The moment is broken when a slightly larger wave takes him by surprise and she falls from his arms.

"Fuck!" she shrieks, for real this time, splashing frantically even though it's not that deep and she's not that cold.

"Pam, I am so sorry, I seriously didn't mean to--"

"Dead!" she cries, scrambling to her feet lurching for him. He's got an edge against her, being taller and more agile and less disoriented, but he lets her catch him, and before she can pretend to get angry, he kisses her.

And it's better than whatever kiss they would have had before, because his body feels so warm against her slight, chilled frame, and this way she can run her wet hands through his hair, and this way he can hold her just so and-- fuck.

His lips are beautifully swollen when he pulls away, and she barely even cares that her hair must be a frizzy mess right now, or that there's wet sand in her underpants. She's just happy. "Hey," she smiles. "I'm cold."

"Okay. Hotel?"

She nods, still staring at him, as she leans up for one last quick kiss before she turns and heads for the car.

They grab a quick dinner and head to a relatively cheap hotel and get a room with subtly 80s decor and a few suspect stains on the carpet. She smiles to herself as she unpacks a few day's clothes from her suitcase, happy that she's able to forget her hazy, anxious thoughts from the morning and just be. She's folding an old pair of jeans when he sneaks up behind her, running his hand tentatively down her arm. With a sharp inhale of breath she leans ever so fucking slightly into him. He goes for her neck, which he should know drives her crazy by now, his breath hot on her, his lips just skimming the skin.

She bites her lip to stop a moan, because she doesn't want to do this yet. Not until she tells him again, for real.

"Jim," she says, and he freezes, obviously afraid of what she'll say. She turns to face him, her face and demeanor all serious, and looks him in the eyes as she says, "I love you." That's it, and about .02 seconds later he's saying it into her skin and against her cheek. His touch is igniting, intoxicating.

He doesn't last long, and seems pretty embarrassed about it, but she just smiles and doesn't care. He brings her up to speed in a way she more than appreciates, and by the end he's hard again. When they fuck the next time, he's got something to prove, and god, yes, he proves it.

She sleeps peacefully for the first real time since casino night, and it's just-so-fucking predictable that at just past two, his phone rings, waking them up. She knows it's bad when he sees how quickly his demeanor stiffens, the way his arms tense up and the way his eyes look deadly serious.

Shit.
End Notes:
Dun dun DUN!
In the Night by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
I didn't have as much time to proofread this one, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes! I'm without internet so I'm trying to post when I can ;)

She's still groggy with sleep and she can't really pay attention to the conversation that's going on, only able to make out the fuzzy image of Jim tensing up, anger boiling in his eyes, and the hazy realization that this is Roy he's talking to.

She sits up and squints, trying like hell to piece together what's going on, because her brain is in panic mode and she's not quite able to wrap her mind around the situation. She brings her knees to her chest and tries to focus on what Jim's saying. She hears words likes 'asshole' and phrases like 'won't apologize' and 'you can't fucking say that about her' and she feels her blood start to boil because really, what right does Jim have to say those things? She's been practically cheating on Roy for four years, Roy has every right to be angry, and what does Jim know? She doesn't realize she's ignoring the other half of the conversation, or consider that maybe she's only getting angry at Jim because he's the one in front of her.

He slams his phone shut with exasperation, and he looks to her like he expects her to be sympathetic, and there's surprise in his eyes when he realizes she's so not.

"What right do you have to tell him off like that, Jim?" She sees him panicking, knows he can't respond. "Just because I broke up with him doesn't mean I don't care about him. We were together for ten years. You had no right." She can feel her own eyes burning and she barely has time to question why she's reacting like this.

"What are you doing, Pam?" His tone is timid and tense, and his hands out like he's trying to placate her.

"I'm serious, Jim, you can't make him to enemy! How do you think it must feel? Have you even thought about what I've done to him?" Suddenly she realizes where this is coming from-- that it's guilt. It's shame and it's everything that's made her feel shitty about this so far. But she can't back down now, and neither can she she think of what she's doing to Jim. "Do you have any idea--"

"He called you a whore!" As soon as the words leave his mouth he looks appalled that he's said it, and she can't even begin to--

"What the fuck do you think I am?" she spits, her words laced with self-hatred. "I was supposed to marry him last week and instead I'm off on the other side of the universe with my supposed best friend and we-- He trusted you, Jim. He trusted me." The tears burn her cheeks. "I can't do this. I thought I could, but I can't, I don't know what I'm doing."

"Pam." She barely hears the words, barely realizes the way he's holding her now. She doesn't even think to be upset about it. She just buries herself in him, crying and wondering how she's kept herself from doing this for so long.

They stay like that for a long time, and a million times she wants to say something, but she can't, she just cries. Finally, "Jim?" He turns his face to hers but she doesn't meet his gaze. "What did he say?" Her tone is calm, but she knows he still can't react. He looks panicked trying to find the right words, and she puts her hand over his. She wants to know.

"Well, uh, he wasn't happy." A nervous laugh. "He started asking all these questions, like--"

The phone rings.

He just stares at it, like he literally can't think of a solution to this situation. Like he's frozen to the spot. She, on the other hand, barely hesitates to pick it up.

"Roy, you need to stop--"

"Pam?" Oh shit. Oh shit, did Roy not--? Of course he must have, that's completely--

"What?"

"What the fuck, Pam, you're actually fucking-- Shit, I mean I thought--"

"Isn't that why you called? To call me a whore for turning to my best friend when we fell apart?"

"Oh c'mon, you know he's not-- I talked to your mom, Pam. I know." She's never heard such hatred in his voice. She can hardly believe it's Roy she's talking to.

"What, exactly, do you know?" She tries to keep her voice strong, tries not to look at Jim, tries to just be some better, firmer version of herself.

"I know he's why we broke up! Have you been fucking him this whole time?"

"What? No, I didn't even know he felt--"

"He felt what?!"

"Calm the hell down, Roy!" She's never taken this tone with him. "You have to understand, we were never going to work out, not really. We just wanted to." She waits for him to yell something trite and hateful and when he doesn't, her heart almost breaks, because that means he's really listening. "All those things I said, I meant," she continues, trying to steady her voice. "Jim just helped me realize what was wrong with that relationship. He did tell me he was in love with me, okay? Yeah, he is. I didn't know. Of course I didn't." She's being honest and bare and she knows that this is a declaration to Jim, too. She's so goddamn thankful neither of them are interjecting. "That barely has anything to do with it. He just got me, alright? He supported me where you didn't. I didn't know it could be like that, you know? I always thought it was so twisted that he cared more than you did."

"Pam, you know I--"

"Please," she begs, and he seems to get it. "Just about the little stuff, he was that way. When he asked me about my day, he really wanted to know. And I always got that, but I never thought-- I thought he was just like kind of person. He told me he didn't have, you know, feelings and I believed him. So of course I was surprised when he told me. I told him I couldn't, I told him I was still marrying you. And then he moved away. That was it, nothing happened until after--" She stops herself. "But Roy, you have to know, this wasn't just about him. But there's the whole story. Just so you know."

Roy doesn't respond at first, but when he finally does, it's just a long line of words that they both know don't mean anything. That he's angry, but they both get it. This is just what they have to do.

Anyway, she's not really listening-- she's much more concerned with Jim's response. She's not even looking at him, but she's picturing him and going by how much tension she thinks is in the air.

"... why didn't you say anything before?" Right. Roy. She asks him to repeat himself and he gets angry again, wondering why she can't listen to him, but he gets it, she thinks. They've never really listened to each other, and she starts to explain that that was mostly the problem. They go on, saying things that mostly mean nothing, until Pam just can't do it anymore. She can tell Roy feels helpless, that he's furious, but mostly panicked, because apparently he didn't really get that this was over.

Eventually she can't do anything more than shut the phone with a quiet, "I'm sorry."

She's perched on the edge of the bed, looking straight ahead and not at Jim. She's trembling, just a bit, and she tries to steady herself.

"Pam, I'm sorry, I didn't--"

"Don't," she warns, tone severe. "Sorry, I just can't do..." she gestures to the phone, "that, again." She sees a nod out of the corner of her eye as she flops onto the bed, an exasperated sigh escaping her lips as her back hits the sheets. "Can we just watch a movie or something?"

"Yeah," he says, probably relieved that she's done with all the hard stuff for now. He goes for the pay-per-view movie guide. "Jesus, these movies cost more than a DVD."

"Don't care."

"Right," he smiles. "Let's see, Stranger than Fiction or the Holiday? You're up for one of those girly movies, right?"

They sprawl out on the bed, his hand playing aimlessly with her hair, and it's still the middle of the night and she wishes she could fall asleep. "Jim?" she whispers as the movie concludes.

"Hmm?"

"You asleep?"

"Why do you always ask that?"

"Sorry. Um, I just can't sleep." She shifts and look at him. "I think we need to go home," she says seriously.

"Yeah."

"I really wanted to see the ocean and everything, but I just... we just need to go home, you know?" He nods non-committally and she wonders if he's opposed or just tired. "It's not like this is our last chance to come here. It's just not--"

"It's okay," he whispers, kissing her head. "I get it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, whatever you want. I don't want to do this if you're not enjoying it."

A small smile creeps up on her lips. "I am enjoying it," she whispers, mostly to herself. He kisses her temple, mumbles something into her ear, and she the last thought she has before she falls asleep again is that her life has suddenly become so much more than she ever expected.

End Notes:
Whew! Lots of emotions going on here, huh?
Hotel Rooms and Beaches by deerinthepark
Author's Notes:
So I've been sitting on this chapter forever, and thought if I didn't post it now, I never would. Sorry for the wait! I wonder if anybody's still reading this story... ?
Sometime after the sun's been up awhile, she's curled up against him, palm flat on his chest. She thinks she never felt this comfortable naked with Roy, which is actually bizarre. But she really shouldn't compare.

"So you really had no idea?" he asks suspiciously, for about the fifth time.

"No, okay? No." She fights a smile and raises her eyebrows to show she's serious. "I saw you with girls like, you know, Katy and I thought... I don't know, she was a lot prettier than me. More confident, more the girl that could get any guy, and she was dating you, so it kind of--"

"Whoa, whoa-- hold on. Prettier than you?"

She giggles. "Kevin thought so." That part's not so funny. "Yeah, he's kind of a jerk sometimes."

"I'm pretty sure he was only saying that because she, you know, showed a lot more."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes, Pam, trust me. There's really no comparison in, uh, that department." He gestures awkwardly to her breasts and she blushes.

"Go on," she teases.

"Yours are just, uh, a lot... fuller." She can't help but laugh, because she knows he's actually serious. "The only thing Katy had on you was she spent more time on her hair, and let's face it, it showed."

"You prefer the five minute scrunch-and-clip?"

"Oh, you have a patent on that hairstyle?"

"It's pending."

"Right." He turns over to face her better. "I just want you to know that she never meant anything to me. I was actually like a huge dick to her."

"Yeah, I heard something about you breaking up with her on a boat." Something clicks and she can't believe she didn't notice the coincidence before. "Oh."

"Yup. Pretty much a dick."

"Sorry."

"What are you sorry for?"

"I don't know, I just am. For her. For you. Me. Roy. Everyone." There's a brief silence and it starts to sink in that they're actually talking about this. "I'm mostly sorry I didn't ever let you know that I-- I mean, even after that night I... but it was like, I don't know, I couldn't--"

"No, don't. You don't have to. I get it. I guess I... didn't get it, but I do now. So."

"So?"

"So it's fine."

"It's not fine." She feels her smile fading. "Jim, neither of us got it right. We both know that. But for me it wasn't just bad timing, I was in denial, and for that I'm sorry. I thought I had to be, and I know you know why I thought that now, but I didn't. So."

"So it's fine?"

She sighs, defeated. "I guess."

"Pam, if you want to talk about it, seriously... we can do that. But I don't need to. I don't like thinking about it."

"Don't you think it's unhealthy not to? We can't just ignore that all that... happened."

"I know it happened, and it sucked, and now it's... better. So."

"So it's fine."

"Right."

"Fine."

"Pam."

She sighs, frustrated with herself this time. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be like this. I guess I'm just used to this kind of petty arguing or... something. Not that it's petty, it's just... You're right, we don't need to talk about it right now."

"Are you sure?" He takes a breath and looks at her so genuinely that she thinks it's almost too sappy. "I--"

"If you say 'I want whatever you want' I swear I will punch you, Jim Halpert."

He laughs and the mood is so much lighter. "No, uh, actually I was going to say 'I just don't want to talk about it, but we can'."

"Okay. Good. Because I know you don't want whatever I want. It's just such a trite phrase. Nobody ever really means it."

"Noted. I will my best to never want what you want." She kicks him lightly in the shin. "God, make up your mind."

"So, what were we talking about again?"

"You were telling me how sorry you were about everything that happened in the past, and I was saying how I didn't need to talk about it."

"Didn't want to talk about it."

"Sorry, right."

"Okay. Well, then. Why don't we go back to where you were telling me how much prettier I am than Katy." She giggles because she knows pretty much any other guy would say it wasn't true (even Roy thought Katy was gorgeous, an adjective she's sure he'd never use to describe herself). But Jim means it, like he literally can't imagine why anyone would say otherwise. It's kind of amazing.

"To be fair, I only said you had bigger boobs." Her mouth goes wide and she kicks him again. "But there are other things, too," he says, and he proceeds to conduct a fairly detailed and graphic exploration of what, exactly, makes her beautiful.

"Hmm," she muses when he finishes, her voice shaky as she tries to steady her breathing. "Good demonstration." She clears her throat. "Very, uh, hands on."

"Nice. Like the innuendo." She sticks out her tongue. "Oh, look, I forgot something," he says, voice low, a smile on his lips as he kisses her. "Yup, very beautiful tongue. Just the right amount of... softness."

She giggles. "Beautiful tongue, huh? I bet you say that to all the girls."

"Nope, only you," he says, and proceeds to kiss her again until she stops laughing.

"So," she says a few minutes later, lips swollen. "I just realized that we've spent about 97% of this vacation in the car or in a hotel room."

"Wow," he laughs. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"We might as well have just stayed home. Would have been a lot cheaper."

"You think all this would have happened at home?"

She smiles, pensive. "Maybe if we got locked up somewhere."

"Uh-huh. Very plausible, especially considering we live in different states."

"Maybe I would have surprised you in Stamford, and then lured you into a supply closet and then-- whoops, the door can't be opened from the inside!"

"I'm not even going to get into how many things are ridiculous about that scenario."

"When we get back, maybe I'll come over and surprise you."

"Pretty sure we don't have a supply closet." She laughs until she sees his face has turned serious. "Honestly Pam, if we were still back... there... then I would probably be pining away in Stamford, feeling sorry for myself and my broken heart and refusing to see how much I was hurting you, so I'd mostly just be pissed off. And you'd be suffering in Scranton, with nobody there to help you handle Dwight and Michael, rightly pissed off at me for leaving out of the blue."

"You forgot about all the pining I'd be doing."

"Oh there'd be pining?"

"Oh yeah." She pauses, and she can't meet his eyes. "You didn't misinterpret anything. I mean that's probably obvious now with all the sex and everything--" He bursts out laughing. "Way to ruin my heartfelt confession, Jim."

"Sorry, it's just-- wow. 'All the sex and everything'."

"C'mon, we've been having a lot of sex."

"We're compensating for four years of unfulfilling wet dreams here, Pam."

"Gross."

"Okay maybe not wet dreams, but there were certainly times when... you know..."

"What?"

"You're going to make me say it?" She nods, biting her lip. "There were times when I thought about you... like that."

"Like what?" she presses, her lips curling devilishly upwards.

"I think you know what I mean," he says, actually blushing.

"Like this?" she suggests teasingly, arching her back and craning her neck so her naked body is exposed to him. His eyes fill with this deep kind of unfiltered lust that makes her confidence wane a little.

"Mm-hmm," he murmurs, and her breath catches under his gaze. No more than twenty minutes later he collapses beside her. "I guess you were right," he muses.

"What?" she asks, her voice raspy.

"We do have a lot of sex." She smiles into his chest and he brings his arm around her, holding her close. "Do you still want to go home?" he asks suddenly, and she feels him stiffen ever so slightly.

"I think we should. This is great, but... I don't know, I can't do this whole trip." She pauses, not wanting to have this conversation because that means bringing up the real world. "I'm sorry," she adds hastily.

"Don't be sorry. Whatever you want. I know you told me not to say that, but I doubt I'll have very much fun on this trip if you're not happy." He runs a hand absently through his hair. "And I know we should get back..."

She doesn't respond, she just lets her hand roam across his chest as she thinks. She hopes he gets it... that she wants this, but that it's just too much right now. That they can't keep ignoring real life. That she really needs to see her mother, and maybe even get back to work if she doesn't want to lose her job. That they can't pretend that all that matters is this-- is them.

They go to the beach one last time, and this time he doesn't drop her in the water, and their laughter doesn't carry out across the waves. He's eerily quiet as they sit on stolen hotel towels, their feet buried in the sand.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she asks, her hair blowing into her face as she turns to face him.

"What? Oh, it's nothing, I was just thinking."

"Good thinking or bad thinking?"

"Just thinking." She smiles and nods, leaning into him. He wraps his arms around her and kisses her hair. He gets it. And she's glad, because all this hesitance and anxiety has felt a little one-sided.

"You want to head out tomorrow morning?" she asks a few minutes later as she dips her toes in the sand. He nods, then stretches out his body so that most of it's not even on the towels anymore. She lays down beside him, tucking herself against his side, barely caring about the sand in her hair. "I'll miss this, you know." She expects him to make a crack about how he doesn't think they've been here before, or that sand in their underwear isn't much to miss. Instead he surprises her with a soft kiss on her head and a barely audible 'me too'.
End Notes:
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about the ending for this chapter, but I couldn't write anything that had nice closure without being overly poetic and lame. But at least I posted something, right?  This is wrapping up so expect just a few more!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3032