The Dinner Party by Mr Bill
Summary: Michael's been deposed and Jan's betrayed his trust and now they're throwing a dinner party...how did Jim and Pam get roped into this? 
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Oneshot
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 10889 Read: 6191 Published: January 28, 2008 Updated: January 28, 2008

1. Chapter 1 "Cocktails" by Mr Bill

2. Chapter 2 "Dinner" by Mr Bill

3. Chapter 3 "Dessert" by Mr Bill

4. Chapter 4 "More Dessert" by Mr Bill

Chapter 1 "Cocktails" by Mr Bill

First: many thanks and much appreciation to pjries and ElizabethLynn for their insight and thoughtful suggestions....you’re the best!

 

Second: I own none of the characters of whom I write and no infringements of any kind are implied or intended.

 

    The Dinner Party  Chapter One “Cocktails” 

 

Pam turned to straighten Jim’s tie just before he rang the doorbell. “There....perfect,” as she flashed a mischievous grin his way.  He looked down at her smiling face, cocked his head and took a very deep breath.

 

Jim was still just a bit unsettled with the whole idea...having to get all dressed for dinner at Michael and Jan’s.  This was going to be uncomfortable enough as it was, but having to run home to shave and put on the crisp new dress shirt and a tie and his best charcoal gray suit just to sit around Michael’s dining room table to eat...God knows what...well, it just wasn’t his idea of a fun evening.  Hadn’t he and Pam done their best trying to avoid just this very thing from happening? 

 

For months, ever since discovering that Jim and Pam were a real couple (thanks Toby), Michael had been hinting about getting together.  And, until last week they’d always found a way to avoid it.  But for some reason both he and Pam were off their game when Michael walked through the break room at lunch time and so nonchalantly asked about their weekend plans.  He’d caught them off guard and when Jim just matter-of-factly answered “nothing special”, Michael wasted no time in handing them the written invitation for dinner. “Good...no excuses now...this Saturday...see you at eight.” Breach of etiquette not withstanding, they’d been hooked.

 

Now, standing in the doorway he knew there really was no alternative as he and Pam heard the low murmur of voices from just inside.

 

“Look Jim...we’re here so let’s just try to make the best of it.  At least it’s not just us and Jan and Michael...I guess everyone else got roped into it as well so it won’t be so bad...” But Pam caught herself as she said it knowing all too well that, where Michael was concerned, something bad was in fact, pretty likely to happen. 

 

“Yeah, you’re right,” Jim straightened up with a look of practiced mock-determination, “let’s get this out of the way now and maybe he’ll let us alone for the next year...I say full steam ahead!”

 

“That’s the spirit, big boy!”  Pam arched her brow while patting Jim lightly on the back.

 

“Hey...give me a kiss!” 

 

“Really?” Pam offered an impish smile.

 

Turning her slightly, Jim responded, “Yes, really!” as he lowered his head to hers.

 

Pam loved these small, impromptu moments.  Even after all these months, Jim still found little ways to surprise her with his affection and each time made her feel so warm and wanted.  They made her feel so very different than the way she’d felt for such a long time before. 

 

Just as their lips met, the door opened.

 

“Well, well...just look at the two of you!”  Michael stood in the doorway, holding what looked to be a martini in his left hand and wearing a near larger-than-life smile.  “Jan...it’s the loooove birds.”  His words sang out as he turned and yelled over his shoulder, “It’s Jim and Pam...they’re finally here.”

 

Jim guided Pam through the doorway with a gentle nudge to the small of her back.  Once inside, they saw that everyone had gathered in the living room for drinks.  And just as Michael asked to take their coats Jan seemingly floated out of the crowd to greet them with a tray of fresh martinis. “Jim, Pam...so very glad that you could come. We’ve been hoping to have you over for the longest time.  Please have a cocktail.  We should  be eating in about thirty minutes so make yourselves at home and mingle...God knows you know everyone here so I don’t have to worry about introductions.”

 

They each took a glass, giving the other a quick nod before taking a small sip. The drinks weren’t strong but neither Jim nor Pam were in the habit of drinking martinis...whether made of gin or vodka or anything else they were making them with these days, so they both winced just a bit as the cool liquid slid down the back of their throats.  “Wow, that’s...hmm...hmm...pretty good,” Jim managed to spurt as he winked at Pam.  Pam wasn’t quite as ready to say anything just yet so just nodded in agreement.

 

“Good...glad you like them.  I do make a pretty good martini if I do say so myself.  See, all those years in New York weren’t a complete waste!”  Jan seemed pleased with herself...yet in an almost oblivious sort of way. “Sorry you missed the tour, but after dinner Michael or I will gladly show you around, if you like.”  And, with a wave Jan turned to resume her hostess duties, replenishing empty glasses as she found them.  Jim and Pam gave each other a quick look and managed a slightly nervous laugh between them as Jan’s genuine happiness at seeing them made both feel just a bit guilty. 

 

The condo appeared more spacious than either had imagined and the furnishings and decorations all seemed to match pretty well.  Pam attributed that to Jan’s influence.  She gave Jim’s arm a squeeze, “So far so good!” As they scanned the room, all the faces were familiar, but not everyone it seemed had arrived.  Near the fireplace, Angela and Andy were speaking with Phyllis and her husband, Bob Vance.  Stanley and his wife, Terri seemed to have caught Michael’s ear and Kevin and his fiancée were sitting on the couch by the picture window.  Stacy was laughing with Oscar and...was that Gil, Oscar’s boyfriend, if Pam remembered correctly?  Kevin was sampling the hors d’oeuvres.

 

Pam nudged Jim. “Looks like Kevin’s found his spot.” 

 

Jim laughed, “That’s Kevin” as he flashed his buddy a quick wave.  Kevin popped a stuffed mushroom into his mouth and broke into a broad grin as he motioned Jim and Pam to join him.  But before they could move, a high pitched squeal stopped them. 

 

“Pam!   Jim!  You guys look soooo good!”  They turned to find Kelly rushing headlong their way.  Without as much as a quick “hello”, she gave Pam such a squeeze that Pam nearly spilled her drink. “You look so hot...what a pretty green dress...just let me look at you.”  Kelly gave Pam a half spin. 

 

Trying to catch her breath and blushing slightly Pam mustered a hasty “Thank you,” Pam actually liked the dress, having bought it especially for the occasion.  It did flatter her and Jim had very pointedly expressed just how much he liked it when she’d modeled it for him earlier as she dressed for the evening.  He liked it so much in fact that it was the reason they’d arrived late.  “But it’s really not anything...I just thought it...”

 

“Oh, don’t be so modest Pam...you look absolutely gorgeous.  Not like the stuff you wear to work...right, Jim?”  Kelly smiled and Jim shot Pam a knowing glance.  Pam arched her brow but held her tongue.  Kelly certainly knew how to throw a compliment a girl’s way.

 

“Your dress is really nice, too.  I just love the color.”  Pam decided to take the high road...at least for the time being.  “When did you get here?” 

 

“Oh, Darryl and I were the first ones here...I’m already on my third martini.  They are soooo good...aren’t they good Jim?” 

 

“Oh yeah...they really are.”  Jim raised his glass to both Kelly and Pam, taking a second, short sip.  This one went down a little easier.  “So, where’s Darryl?”   

 

“Oh....he’s in the kitchen....he’s not a big martini drinker so I think he went to get a beer or some scotch...or something.  Michael has a mini bar set up in there if people want something different, but I think Jan really wants everyone to have these first.”

 

With that, Darryl emerged, beer in hand, “Hey, what’s up man...finally made it huh?  He and Jim exchanged fist bumps.  “Mike was starting to worry you guys weren’t coming!”

 

“Really? We’re not late...well maybe a few minutes, but we’re here.”  Jim turned toward Pam, a sly, but questioning look building across his face.  She had no answer and just shrugged in return.

 

Kelly rolled her eyes as she eyed Pam from just above the rim of her glass.  “Oh Darryl, honey...they just wanted to be fashionably late,” the hint of sarcasm obviously intended, “just like in all those old movies, right Pam?”

 

In the nick of time, Pam heard someone calling her name.  It was Phyllis.  Pam excused herself as politely as she could, making her way to the small group gathered by the fireplace where slow burning flames flickered in the muted light.  Phyllis hugged Pam softly, adding to the warmth and Bob gave her quick smile.  Despite the whole wedding thing, she did like Phyllis and Bob Vance.  He was a nice guy and Phyllis, well she was generally good-hearted...though she was sometimes a little too loose with her comments.  As far as Andy and Angela...she still was not used to seeing, or even thinking of the two of them as a couple. 

 

“I thought you might need a little break from Kelly,” Phyllis half-whispered into Pam’s ear.  “I’ve been watching her...and she’s been throwing down martinis like she’s been taking lessons from Meredith.”  Pam smiled weakly and rolled her eyes just enough to let Phyllis know she’d guessed correctly. “But, you should have dragged Jim over here with you.”

 

“Oh, he knows how to take care of himself.”  Pam knew all about Phyllis’ thing for Jim.  Hell, most of the women in the office had at one time expressed an interest in doing one thing or another with or to Jim.  Phyllis was always good for a comment or two during party planning committee meetings, and even Kelly and Meredith were not averse to the occasional offer to “take care of” Jim’s needs.  In a way, she couldn’t blame them.

 

“I bet he does.”  Phyllis winked at Pam, suggestively.  “Oh...I bet he does!” 

 

It crossed Pam’s mind that maybe Kelly wasn’t the only one working on her second or third drink, either.  And though Phyllis whispered, Pam saw in Andy’s clenched jaw and Angela’s smirk that they’d heard Phyllis’ remark.  Angela’s lips had even tightened at the corners in that way she had to let you know you were heading down the tracks “on that slow train to Philly.”

 

Pam might not be of the same mind set when it came to Angela, but she knew exactly what Phyllis was really hinting at and it wasn’t about putting up with Kelly.  And even though she couldn’t argue with the real point of Phyllis’ speculation...after all, she knew all too well that Jim really did know how to ‘take care of himself’, she wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction.  Not tonight, anyway.  That would just have to wait for some future “girls’ night out” to Poor Richard’s, when they could all just get right down to the real nitty gritty about their guys.  

 

“So how are you all doing...having fun?”  Hoping to switch gears, Pam raised her glass in a semi-toast and took another sip....this one went down easily.  Everyone seemed to be doing just fine.  Phyllis and Bob talked a bit about their new home by the river and Angela explained her latest project to redecorate her cat room...just to keep them happy.  For his part, Andy mostly leaned against the fireplace, listening and looking bored.  He did manage to interject at one point that he thought Angela’s cats were really awesome because they reminded him of a cat that had been adopted as the mascot of his fraternity when he was in college.  Angela’s roll of her eyes at Andy’s mention of Cornell did not go unnoticed by Pam.

 

She stole a quick glance across the room to find that Jim had managed to pry himself away from Kelly and Darryl to join Kevin, Stacy, Oscar and Gil.  Oscar was making the introduction and Pam watched Jim shake Gil’s hand.  Her thoughts flew back to that awful night of her art show as she remembered the pain of Gil’s words.  She’d been angered and hurt...but it had been his words about her lack of courage and honesty that had in a way, begun to set her free...to find the place she was now...a much, much better place than she’d ever been.

 

“So, Gil....what do you do?”  Jim knew the whole story about Gil’s comments...Pam told him that first night they’d made love as afterward they lay quietly in her bed and talked through the night about all the things that had finally brought them together.  He’d never met him before, and even though Gil had spoken those words about Pam in a harsh and condescending way, Jim never-the-less felt that, in some odd way he probably owed Gil a small debt of gratitude. 

 

“I’m in advertising...television and web, mostly...I work for a small firm in Philadelphia.”

 

“Oh, interesting...so how long you been doing that?” 

 

“About ten years...I’ve been with the company in Philadelphia for four years, now.”

 

“And you commute everyday...that’s a hike!” 

 

“No...I don’t need to commute that often...I do so much work on my Mac, I can work from home or pretty much anywhere I can get web access.  I might only go into the office once or twice a week...sort of depends on the project.”

 

“Cool...some days I think I’d like a job like that,” Jim said with a somewhat distant look in his eye.

 

Gil turned to catch Oscar rising from the sofa.  “Jim’s one of our salesmen...a pretty good one, too.”

 

“Oh, you’re that Jim.”  And Jim saw Gil’s eyes dart across the room to Pam.

 

“Yeah...I’m that Jim!”  He laughed quietly...Oscar, too while Gil mustered a nervous, half smile.

 

“Oscar’s told me that she’s actually stuck with it...even doing something with a promo for your office...” Gil tried to hide his embarrassment by taking a gulp large enough to nearly empty his glass, “that’s good.” 

 

“Oh yeah...I mean the video wasn’t great, but Pam did some neat graphics on it...at least I thought so.”  Jim didn’t try to hide the actual pride he felt in his girlfriend’s accomplishment.

 

Oscar chimed in as well, “Yeah, Gil...her graphics were really the best part.”

 

“That’s good...that’s really good!” 

 

To Jim’s ears Gil sounded genuine and when he turned his gaze toward Pam, she seemed, to automatically look over at the exact moment, flashing a big smile his way in return.  Funny how that worked!  “Yeah, she’s doing just fine.”  Jim smiled as well and Pam cocked her head a couple of times beckoning him back.  Grabbing a small handful of carrot sticks from the hors d’oeuvres tray, he made his way back to her side.

 

“Carrot,” he offered, but she waved him off.

 

Instead, Pam leaned into him to whisper in his ear, “Hey, have you noticed anything weird?”

 

Jim briefly scanned the room then furrowed his brow, “No...not really...other than Andy being with Angela if that’s what you mean...that just seems totally weird to me.”

 

Pam gave him a light tug on the arm, “No Jim...I mean look who’s not here.”

 

Jim swung around again...“I don’t see Meredith, Creed...or...Toby...”

 

“Or Dwight!”  Pam interrupted.

 

“Jeez Pam, you’re right....wonder why?  Weren’t they invited...maybe they all had other plans?”

 

Pam shook her head, a perplexed look on her face.  “It’s only couples, Jim...I think they only invited couples!”

 

Jim shrugged as he looked down at her. “Wow...that is kind of weird!”   

 

At that moment, Jan emerged from the adjoining hallway and announced, “Please follow me everyone...dinner is served!”

Chapter 2 "Dinner" by Mr Bill

Chapter Two “Dinner”

 

As they entered the dining room Jan stood at the far end of a very long table that barely seemed to fit.  She looked more than just a little nervous.  Against the side wall, a buffet was set up with what appeared to be a generous selection of food:  sliced roast beef, a ham, mashed potatoes, stuffed shells, something that looked like chicken parmesan, salad, a variety of hot vegetables and stuffed peppers.  Breads, condiments and utensils were all set in place on the table.  Lit candles and a small but colorful floral display graced the table’s center.

 

“It’s the maid’s night off ...so please, just take a plate and pick what you like...there should be plenty.”  Jan tried to make a light hearted joke, but everyone pretty much knew about their current money situation.  Michael and Jan could never afford a maid or even a catered affair...and no one that evening was even thinking about that.  But to Pam, the slight crack in Jan’s voice and the way she clutched and twisted her hands together as she watched her guests betrayed an apprehension that she had never seen in Jan before. “For anyone who may not want to eat meat, we have some eggplant parmesan, stuffed shells, vegetables and salad and peppers stuffed with rice.”

 

At the announcement Angela turned back toward Jim and, raising her eyebrows gave him a very self-satisfied, holier-than-thou look.  Jim needed no explanation.  He only had to think back to his barbecue to fully understand where that came from...Angela was never one to let things go easily. 

 

As they waited near the back of the line that had formed, Pam gave Jim a slight nudge and tilted her head toward the near end of the table.  Without asking, Jim knew exactly what she wanted him to see.  Each place setting had a small, hand-written name card.  Jim leaned down and half-whispered into Pam’s ear, “How formal is this buffet supposed to be...I’m beginning to think I should have borrowed Dwight’s tux and worn my best pair of sneakers.” 

 

In response, Pam couldn’t help but snicker which caused Stanley and his wife Terri, who were just ahead of them to turn slightly and return a wry smile. 

 

“So what are you guys thinking about all this?” Jim asked Stanley and his wife as he slipped his free hand around Pam’s waist.  Jim couldn’t see the soft smile form on her face, but he certainly felt Pam’s warmth as she pressed her body closer to his.

 

Stanley rolled his eyes which his wife, Terri took as her cue, “Stanley told me it was all about his bonus!” She looked back at her husband and smiled, “So we’re here!”

 

Pam asked, “Did you see the place cards?”

 

“Yes, I saw them,” Stanley said with his usual air of distracted gruffness.  “Getting all dressed up, fancy drinks, name cards...seems that Michael and Jan are going all out to impress us for some unknown reason.”

 

“I think you two are sitting next to Michael,” Terri offered.

 

Both Jim and Pam frowned at that news.

 

Soon enough they’d made their selections, filling their plates.  Jim went with the ham, Pam...the roast beef.  But, as they checked the cards they found Pam’s in the middle of the table with Jim opposite her.

 

Finally everyone was seated but the chair at the head of the table remained empty...Michael’s chair.  No one dared to actually begin eating, instead stealing expectant glances Jan’s way in between small bits of ever more concerned conversation.  Jim was seated between Terri and Kevin’s fiancé, Stacy.  Pam had Stanley and Kevin to either side.  

 

Leaning in toward Jim, Pam mouthed “Boy, girl, boy, girl” her eyes darting from side to side.

 

Jim just nodded and shrugged before turning to Terri, “So I guess we’re next to you?”

 

“Jim, I saw your name card on that corner, next to Michael’s chair...” Terri’s voice was firm as she pointed, “where, what’s his name...Andy’s sitting.” 

 

In Michael’s lingering absence Jan, seemed non-plussed.  She sat calmly, but slightly chewed on her lower lip as she waited.  Darryl sat to her left, Kelly to her right.  Suddenly, and with a bit of fanfare Michael appeared, emerging from the kitchen carrying two bottles of wine, one white...one red.  As if relieved, Jan allowed a small smile to form on the corners of her mouth.

 

“All right everybody....let’s get this parrrty starrrted....red or white...you choose.”   Michael was exuberant, smiling and laughing as he moved from person to person exchanging little ‘whatnots’ while pouring their wine of choice.  And when Angela even accepted a splash of the ‘white’ Michael beamed. 

 

As Jim watched, he couldn’t help but think that, at this singular moment Michael Scott was truly in his element, surrounded by food and drink...and entertaining the very people he cared most about.  Michael did think of nearly everyone here this night as his family.  And, in a broad sense, Jim could understand that part of Michael.  He cared for these people, too...not in the exact same way as Michael did, but he generally liked them, he didn’t mind being around them and some of them were his friends.  It’s just that Michael needed them to be his family...he really didn’t have anyone else. 

 

Whenever he let himself think about it, that was the part that made Jim sad, the fact that for Michael, there really was no one else.  Jim did have family and now he had Pam and everyday he was seeing the beginnings of a new future for the two of them...as a new extension of that family...and of hers’ as well.  It made him think how truly graced his life had become.  His hope for Michael, now that he’d found a relationship with Jan...as improbable as that had once seemed...was for Michael to begin to see and learn the difference.  If he could do that with Jan, find the true essence of family, maybe that would turn everything around...maybe that would be Michael’s salvation.

 

When Michael finally reached his place at the end of the table he remained standing, pouring himself a full glass of ‘red’. “Please everyone...I’d like to make a toast.”  The room quieted as everyone held their glass and their breath.  “You’re all probably wondering why Jan and I have invited you here this evening.”  A collective sigh descended over the table as everyone wondered where this might lead.  “Well, this is our home...Jan’s and mine and each and every one of you are...” but he stopped mid-sentence, a frown appearing as he looked first to his left at Andy, then quickly around the table stopping on Jim and Pam...then back to Andy.  “What are you doing there....that’s not your place!” 

 

Andy looked as though he’d just been caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar, “What do you mean Michael....this is my spot, this is where I found my card...and Angela’s on the other side.” However, the growing redness that flushed his cheeks indicated that might not be the exact truth.

 

 “No you didn’t Andy, you moved them.”  Michael glared. “Jim...Pam...my two number ‘2s’, you’re supposed to be sitting here next to me.”

 

Pam gave Jim a light kick under the table.  It was followed by a nudge from Terri’s elbow against his arm, “I told you,” she whispered.

 

Michael looked defiantly into Andy’s eyes. “I know exactly who’s supposed to sit where...Mr. Andrew Bernard!  I put the place cards out myself...I spent two nights figuring out who should sit where...I made charts...right Jan?”

 

Jan nodded slowly, a look of desperation forming on her face, “Yes, that’s right Michael....two nights figuring it out, charts and all.”  She seemed almost resigned to the next shoe dropping.

 

“And besides Andrew , you’re next to Bob and Angela’s next to Phyllis and it’s supposed to be boy, girl, boy, girl...so you just got busted big time...end of story!”  Michael curled his lower lip slightly outward in that certain way he had when he wanted to impress upon someone that he intended to firmly stand his ground. 

 

Andy looked around, desperate to find a way out.  “But Michael, it’s Kevin, Oscar...then Darryl?”

 

“Well Andy, that’s only because I didn’t know if it was Oscar or Gil who leads when they go dancing!” 

 

That pretty much stopped everything in its tracks as Oscar looked at Gil, Gil looked wide-eyed at Michael, Jan threw her head back and sank into her chair, Angela glared at Andy and everyone else just seemed too stunned to say anything.  Michael stood firm, burning his gaze deeper into Andy’s core.  Shaking her head, Pam finally broke the awkward silence.  “Look Michael, there was absolutely no reason at all to say that...and Jim and I are just fine right here!” 

 

Jim then rose, facing Michael.  “Yeah, Michael we’re fine, we’re all fine.  We’ve all got our food, so let’s leave it alone and just enjoy the meal....okay?”  It was not a question and Pam found herself admiring the quiet but pointed forcefulness in Jim’s remarks.

 

In response, Michael stood motionless for what seemed like an excruciating amount of time.

 

“Michael, the food is getting cold!” Pam, too was adamant. 

 

That seemed to snap him back into focus as he sought out Jan at the opposite end of the table.  She sat there, slowly shaking her head in her hands.  Michael took a quick look around saving one final glare for Andy.  “Fine then...everybody’s fine ...so fine....stay where you are...let’s eat.”  Michael sat down, his earlier smile and happy laughter now just a memory.

 

Pam’s gaze shifted to Michael’s left.  Angela did not look fine...she looked ashen.  She sat nearly motionless...head down, slowly picking at her vegetables.  To Pam, she looked almost lost! 

 

“God,” Pam thought to herself, “this is turning into some damn night!”

 

Eventually, things calmed down and the tension seemed to slowly melt away.  The food was actually pretty tasty and as the wine flowed, a semblance of normal conversation returned.  Kelly and Stacy did their best to distract Gil with stories of exploits in Philadelphia...Kelly mostly about shopping for clothes and Stacy with tales of clubbing with Kevin and the band.  Gil wasn’t familiar with any of the clubs she mentioned but he could talk about music so that kept Darryl and Kevin and even Jan at least mildly interested.  Kevin suggested that Darryl consider joining his new band, Scrantonicity II, but Darryl declined, insisting that his real musical interest was ‘classical’ fugues.  

 

Phyllis and Bob, who in Michael’s chart would have been seated next to Jim and Pam, made a point of trying to keep Angela and Andy occupied as best they could, Phyllis even going so far as to ask Angela for advice on picking out the perfect breed of cat as a pet...yes, sometimes things got even that desperate.  Andy tried to make small talk about the refrigeration business asking how Bob got into it in the first place.  But after Bob explained that his father had started the company and that he’d worked his way up after returning from the navy, and eventually took the helm when his dad retired, Andy seemed to slip back into a semi-funk.  Maybe Andy thought sitting there, with Michael totally ignoring him didn’t bode too well for his future prospects in Scranton, so listening to Bob Vance tell him about how he got to the top in his company may have cut just a bit too close to the bone. 

 

Jim and Pam jumped into as many conversations as possible, attempting to do their part to prevent the evening from deteriorating any further.  They asked Stanley and Terri about their daughter Melissa and how she was doing.  At the question, Stanley rolled his eyes and only responded “It’s all about boys!”  Terri insisted that Melissa was really a nice girl, just going through a stage and that it was difficult for a girl Melissa’s age to get used to a new mom.  But something in her voice told Pam that Terri had maybe made the same speech many times before, trying to convince herself that Melissa would eventually come around.

 

They spoke about Stacy’s daughter Abby and her interest in art and Kevin reminded Jim that he still owed Abby a dinner date.  That brought a smile to Pam’s face as she remembered how wonderful Jim had been with Abby that day in the office...when all the kids had come into work.  Jim had amazed Pam...to see how he was with kids.  She remembered how deeply touched she’d been as she’d watched Jim so gently coax Abby out of her shell that day...it was one of those moments when she’d dared allow herself to imagine a wholly different life than the one she’d been living for so long.

 

And despite the awkwardness of talking over everyone, Jim engaged Michael in a discussion about movies he and Pam had recently seen and possible ideas for vacation trips.  Michael and Jan hadn’t seen either “Juno” or “Once”, but he’d seen the ads for “Juno” on cable and thought the pregnant teenager was kind of a wiseass.  He also thought he saw a scene with a guy who reminded him of Dwight but couldn’t remember if it was the same movie.  He also asked Jim if he’d heard anything about a new football movie coming out with George Clooney and that blonde girl from “Jerry Maguire” that he thought Jan might even like to see.

 

At the mention of Dwight’s name, Pam saw Angela’s ears perk up, finally showing interest in something.  Since Michael’s tirade, with the exception of the exchange with Phyllis about picking a cat, she’d remained mostly quiet.  Pam had not seen her speak to Andy at all...not once.  Now, as Jim agreed that the actor Michael had seen may have had some resemblance to Dwight, Angela magically came alive, at least as Pam saw it.

 

“What was the name of that movie, Jim?  Sounds like it might be interesting...something about a pregnant girl, you said?” 

 

Jim leaned across the table to better see Angela.  “It’s called ‘Juno’ and it’s about a high school girl who gets pregnant.  It’s actually pretty good and has some decent music.”

 

Pam caught Jim’s eye with her sneakiest and very best “So Angela wants to see a movie about an unwed pregnant teenager...yeah right!” look.  Jim’s smirk confirmed his own skepticism.

 

And, as far as vacation ideas, Michael offered Puerto Rico, Aruba, Mexico, Bermuda, St. Barths or Rio as suggestions for winter get-a-ways, not that he’d ever visited any of them...but he’d heard good things about all of them.  Both Jim and Pam noted the conspicuous absence of ‘Jamaica’ from the list...and no mention of ‘Sandals’, either.

 

Pam looked at Jan, waiting for her opinion.  She and Jim had recently been discussing the possibility of taking a week off...sometime after the holidays and they’d thrown around some ideas, but hadn’t settled on anywhere specific.  Pam was actually holding out for Valentine’s week, figuring it wouldn’t take that much convincing for Jim to agree.  Thinking Jan had probably done quite a bit of traveling...well, at least more than either she or Jim, Pam hoped Jan might help narrow their options. 

 

But Jan didn’t respond.  Instead she sat quietly, looking at Michael or, as it appeared to Pam, she seemed to be looking through Michael.  Ever since Michael’s outburst Pam had noticed that Jan seemed to have shut herself down, at least a degree or two, never fully involving herself in the conversations that ebbed and flowed around the table.  Oh, she’d thrown in a few comments here and there and Pam had actually seen some genuine interest when Stacy and Kelly’s Philly discussion had veered to more general talk about music, but otherwise Jan seemed preoccupied...as though something was weighing on her mind. 

 

When Jan didn’t respond, and with everyone more or less close to finishing their meal, Pam thought it a good opportunity to excuse herself, asking for directions to the ladies room. 

 

“Oh, sure Pam...just down the hall and last door to the left.”

 

“Thanks Jan, and the food was just delicious.”  Despite everything, she’d actually enjoyed the meal. As she rose, Stanley graciously held her chair and Pam nodded her appreciation.  Turning toward the hallway, she gave Jim a quick wink.  He winked back.

 

Pam’s departure from the room seemed to signal the unofficial end of dinner and most everyone settled back in their chairs, relaxing in that way that signifies a certain satisfaction and contentment.  Compliments on the meal were offered and graciously accepted by both Jan and Michael who were pleased their guests were enjoying themselves. 

 

“If you wait a moment, and give us a chance to clear the table, there’s coffee and dessert.... and it’s not a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake!”  Jan’s spirit seemed to have reawakened as she smiled in Michael’s direction.

 

He returned her smile. “Yes, everyone...you can remain seated or feel free to wait in the living room while we clear everything.”  He reached for Angela’s plate, but as he did he felt a hand on his shoulder.  He turned to find Andy hovering anxiously at his side.

 

“Michael, I’m sorry.  It was a nice meal and I know I really ‘pooched’ it...and I’m really, really sorry, man.”  Andy searched Michael’s face for any sign of forgiveness or understanding.  “So, big dog, let me make it up to you...why don’t you just sit here and relax for a minute and let me clear the table for you.  Hey, I used to work for a resort in the Adirondacks when I went to Cornell...so trust me Michael...I know what I’m doing.”

 

Michael looked unsure, knowing Andy was basically an insincere suck-up, but what the hell...things had actually worked out so far, more or less.  “Sure, why not...go ahead.”

 

Pleased as punch to have seemingly talked his way back into Michael’s good graces, Andy wasted no time, “Jim, Oscar...give Jan a break and help me with these dishes!” 

 

While it was totally unexpected, it was not an unreasonable request.  Jim had to admit that he’d enjoyed the evening so far...sure, some parts more than others...but overall he had no real complaints. “Okay Andy, no problem...Oscar you take that side, I’ll take this side.  I want to see what’s for dessert!”

Chapter 3 "Dessert" by Mr Bill
 

Chapter Three “Dessert”

 

Within minutes the table was clear and by the time Pam returned, dessert and coffee had been served.  Dessert consisted of a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, topped with strawberries.

 

She found Jim sitting by the fireplace talking with Oscar, Andy and Kevin.  As she approached she overheard Oscar say something about looking at houses in Carbondale.

 

“Who’s looking at houses?” Pam asked as she sat on the arm of the chair, next to Jim.  She waited for an answer but was instead met with an uncomfortable silence from all four men. 

 

“Oh...no...umm,” Jim stammered, “we were just talking about houses and condos in general, you know...now that we’ve seen Michael’s.”  Almost in unison Oscar, Kevin and Andy all agreed then, each conveniently took another bite of cake.

 

Pam gave them all a skeptical look, but was distracted as Jan approached carrying a small plate.

 

“Here Pam, I don’t believe you’ve had any dessert, yet?” 

 

“Oh, thank you Jan...this looks yummy.”  She took a small taste and licked her lips, “Mmmmm, that is really good.”  Jim looked at her, genuinely amused.

 

A soft, grateful smile formed at the corners of Jan’s mouth, “Glad you like it.” 

 

Pam wondered what was going on with Jan.  She’d seemed so bubbly and enthusiastic when they’d first arrived, but turned sullen after Michael became so upset with Andy over the stupid seating arrangements.  Now, she seemed happy again.  As Jan turned away, Pam reached for her arm, “Excuse me, Jan?”

 

Jan stopped and looked back.

 

“Is the offer for a tour still open...I haven’t had a chance to see the whole place yet?”

 

“Sure, just follow me....Jim, would you like to come, too?”  

 

Pam shot a glance Jim’s way, pursing her lips and slightly furrowing her brow.  Jim took it as some kind of a signal...not really knowing what, but figuring it had to have something to do with leaving Pam alone with Jan.

 

“No thanks...I’m good.  Besides, I really haven’t had much of a chance to talk with Michael, so you two go right ahead.” 

 

Pam gently brushed Jim’s arm and flashed a smile as she rose to follow Jan.  It pleased her to know that her boyfriend was definitely a ‘quick take’.

 

As the women left, the three guys turned back to Jim.

 

“Boy Jim...that was kind of close.” Kevin said, his eyes shifting back toward Pam and Jan who were just heading up the staircase.

 

Andy jumped in, “Yeah a bit too close, Big Tuna...if you’re trying to keep it a secret from...you know who!”

 

Jim rolled his eyes at hearing Andy’s nickname for him...it was one thing to put up with it in the office, he’d actually kind of gotten used to it...but jeez, outside of work, as well.  Just an added reason to avoid too many of these extracurricular get-togethers. 

 

“Thanks Andy...I’ll try to be more careful.”  Jim shot a pointed glance in Andy’s direction.

 

“Well Jim, Andy does have a point...” Oscar leaned in a little closer to Jim, trying to keep everything as quiet as possible, “especially if you haven’t told Pam that you’re looking to buy a house.”

 

Jim, quickly turned toward Oscar, “Guys, I never said anything about buying a house...I only said I wanted to start looking at houses!” Jim’s voice was firm and crisp as he attempted to set the record straight. 

 

“Oh...just looking...huh!”  The sly skepticism in Kevin’s voice was evident to all and both Oscar and Andy snickered in response.

 

“Yes Kevin...I’m just looking!”

 

“But why look if you’re not going to buy?” Oscar folded his arms, waiting for Jim’s answer. It reminded Jim of the way his dad used to question him when he was a little kid...when he knew his younger son was holding back on the full story about whatever latest bit of trouble he’d gotten himself into.

 

Oscar had a point.  “Look guys, down the road ...sure.  I mean, I gotta start thinking a little more long range...you know, investments and things like that, right?” 

 

Kevin raised his brow, “Things like what?”

 

Jim felt the first small ripples of panic forming in the base of his neck... He knew he’d probably said too much, but damn it...weren’t these guys supposed to be his friends... well maybe not Andy, so much...but Oscar and Kevin?

 

“Things like...things that I just need to start thinking about, that’s all.”

 

“Things like....Pam?”  Kevin’s face broke into a wide grin as he nudged both Oscar and Andy.

 

“Whoa...Tuna!”  Andy punched Jim’s shoulder in that pre-historic way guys do to show their approval.

 

Jim grimaced as he rubbed the top of his arm, “Look, eventually I need to learn about this stuff, right?  I need to know about what’s involved when you’re looking to invest in a house, right?  I mean I don’t want to live in an apartment, paying rent forever and I’ve got some money saved...so Kev, you and Oscar own your homes...I was just looking for some ideas about getting started....that’s all!”  But, as he spoke Jim couldn’t hold back the growing blush that filled his cheeks.  He knew quite well that it wasn’t about apartments or rent or real estate investments, it really was about a lot more than that...it always had been.

 

“But what about your dad...or your brother, haven’t you asked them?”  At least Oscar was trying.

 

‘Yeah, I’ve talked to them about basic stuff like mortgages and insurance and maintenance...but they both live more than two hours from here, so they can’t tell me much about local stuff like where to look, price ranges, schools...you know...stuff like that?”

 

Andy smirked, “Schools?”

 

Jim shook his head.  He’d only had the two martinis, why couldn’t he stop digging the hole deeper...maybe it was the wine? “Well Andy, isn’t that important if you’re investing...a good location with good schools?  That’s what I’ve always heard.”

 

Oscar jumped in, “No, Jim’s absolutely right...that was one reason Gil and I bought in Carbondale...and we’re not planning on having any kids...but it has excellent schools, so we thought it would be a good place to buy...in case we ever decide to sell.”

 

The mention of Gil, Oscar, and kids brought a snicker from Kevin.

 

What...Kevin?”  Oscar asked pointedly, not really looking for an answer.

 

“Uh...nothing.”  Kevin bit his lip. “Ooooh, there’s Jefferson Heights and Clarks Summit...they have good schools and they’re closer to the office than Carbondale.”

 

Jim was getting exasperated, but at least he had something.  All he’d really hoped for was some information and a little support for trying to act a bit ‘grown-up’...one out of two wasn’t bad, right?

 

“Thanks guys...you’ve been a big help.  I think I’m going to find Michael...he and I really haven’t had much of a chance to talk tonight.  So, if you’ll excuse me...I think he’s in the kitchen.” 

 

As Jim left, Oscar, Kevin and Andy just looked at one another...the look on their faces telling the story...“Was that the real Jim Halpert?”

  

****

 

Climbing the stairs, Jan and Pam exchanged small talk about dinner and dessert and the condo’s furnishings.  As they spoke, Jan seemed fine.  She smiled, was pleasant and even animated as she described how frenetic it had been trying to get everything ready before anyone arrived.  She admitted that she’d only just managed to finish vacuuming when the doorbell rang and Kelly and Darryl just let themselves in.  Jan even joked about Kelly’s penchant for slamming down martinis. 

 

As she led Pam into the master bedroom, Jan enthusiastically pointed out a pair of original prints she’d convinced Michael to hang.  “I think you might find these interesting...I bought these years ago in a small gallery in Soho...when I first got the job in New York.” 

 

Pam did find them interesting...swirling patterns of muted colors that seemed to evoke for her a sense of ‘melancholy’...maybe for time, lost or missed opportunities...but at the moment, what was more interesting was the fact they were hung over a large, heavy four-poster mahogany bed.  “New bed?” Pam asked.

 

Jan was obviously surprised at her question, “Er...yes...how did you know?”  

 

Eyeing the puzzled look on Jan’s face and remembering her accusation about sneaking a peek at Michael’s...er ...thingy at the ‘Fun Run” made Pam realize she may have opened a wound or, at the very least given her the wrong impression.  “Oh...no...it was just that... Michael once said something about a futon or something?” 

 

Jan sank to the bed with a deep sigh and slowly shook her head back and forth.  She sat quietly, just shaking her head for what seemed the longest time.  Finally, she looked at Pam, “Michael’s futon...do you believe it, I managed to hook up with a 42-year old man who was still sleeping on a damn futon.” 

 

Pam was not surprised that she didn’t find it that hard to believe.  “Well, at least he got rid of it.”  She was surprised to see Jan deflate so completely, right in front of her.

 

“It’s in the guest bedroom...you and Jim want to try it out?”

 

That got Pam’s attention.  “No...that’s okay!”  It came out almost as a whisper.

 

Pam watched as the color drained from Jan’s face.  “Hey...are you alright...can I get you something...some water maybe?” 

 

“No...no thanks, I’ll be fine.”

 

But Pam saw all too readily that things really weren’t fine, that something was definitely bothering Jan.   She sat down on the bed, taking hold of her hand. ”So Jan, what’s going on?  You want to talk about it?”

 

Pam’s words were soft, soothing and above all, welcomed.  Jan turned, facing Pam...a tear forming at the corner of her eye.  “You know what...I really don’t have anyone to talk to...well, I talk with Michael...but I don’t have anyone I can talk to about Michael!”

 

Pam gently stroked Jan’s hand, “Family?”

 

“No...we don’t get along anymore....haven’t for years.”

 

“Well...you can talk to me.” Pam’s offer was genuine.  Jan was hurting, and even though she really didn’t know her very well, Jan had been one of the only people, other than Jim who’d recognized some potential in her, offering her the design internship.  And even though she hadn’t followed through, the offer had meant a lot, one of those small stepping stones that had helped her realize who she was...and who she might be.

 

Jan heard the sincerity in Pam’s voice.  She’d always liked Pam....too quiet and reserved for them to have become real buddy, buddy, but she’d always recognized the younger woman’s competence and, as regional sales director had understood early on that without Pam, Michael Scott and the Scranton office would just be a disaster.   Now, she really needed a friend...a woman friend...something she hadn’t allowed herself to do since moving to Scranton...and moving in with Michael.  She thought she could trust her...damn, she had to be able trust someone to help her through this mess.

 

Jan placed her free hand over Pam’s, “I just think that I may have royally screwed things up with Michael!”  As she said the words, she tried to wipe a small tear from the corner of her eye. 

 

Seeing the tear, Pam gently squeezed Jan’s hand in support.  “Why...everything seemed okay tonight?”   

 

Jan raised her eyebrows, “Andy!” 

 

“Well, yeah....Andy...but that was about switching places with Jim and me...you know Michael, that had nothing to do with you.”

 

“It had everything to do with me.”  Jan could tell by Pam’s expression that she was confused.  “Michael’s been angry with me for weeks...the seat swapping, that was just Michael taking out his anger on Andy because he’s such an easy target.”

 

“Why is he angry with you?  He hasn’t said anything at work...at least not to me.” 

 

“Oh, I don’t expect he’d say anything to anyone.  He thinks he’s showing me how above it all he is...how he can handle this ‘rough patch’ between us.” 

 

“But what’s it actually about?” It was still murky to Pam.

 

“You know about the deposition, right?”

 

Pam nodded.

 

“Well, it came out that I’d given him a poor review?”

 

Pam couldn’t help but laugh, “Oh Jan...I’m sorry...really, but it’s just that in some way it’s actually kind of hard to believe that Michael could ever get a good review.”  Pam shrugged her shoulders as she cocked her head in Jan’s direction. “Just sayin’...you know?”

 

Even Jan couldn’t resist a small laugh.  “So true Pam....so true.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good salesman...a damn good salesman in fact....but running a branch, wow.”

 

“So what happened?” 

 

“Michael found out at the deposition that I’d recommended he be rolled back to sales.”

 

“Oh...”  Pam thought a moment, but was still confused, “but he wasn’t rolled back...he’s still the manager.”

 

“I only made the recommendation a month before I got canned.”

 

The wheels turned in Pam’s head...it didn’t take long for the light to go on.  “Wow...you recommended that Michael be rolled back while you were dating him?  Jesus...no wonder he’s upset with you.” 

 

Jan’s head dropped.  “And, he found out I’d read his diary, too,” the words spoken in a near whisper, hinting at a growing desperation.

 

“A diary, really?”

 

“Yeah, Michael keeps a diary.” 

 

Pam thought to herself, “This has turned into one hell of a night!”

Chapter 4 "More Dessert" by Mr Bill

Downstairs, Jim found Michael in the kitchen, leaning against the counter drinking a beer and talking to Stanley and Bob Vance.  He could overhear something about new lighting in the building.

 

“So guys, we’re getting new lights?” Jim leaned against the counter, wedging himself between Michael and the refrigerator, “Sounds like fun.”

 

“Jim...my good friend...where you been?”  Michael’s spirits seemed to have improved considerably. Obviously, the mix of martinis, wine and beer were beginning to take hold.  “Yeah, Bob got the word that Beekman Properties is changing all the lights in the building to those fancy new low energy ones.”

 

“Yup, got a memo yesterday...they’re starting Monday.  You should have gotten a letter too, Michael.”

 

Michael frowned.  “I’ll have to check with Pama-lama...maybe she shredded it by mistake?”  Michael laughed at his own cleverness.

 

Jim shook his head, “I really don’t think so Michael.”

 

“Hey, where is that girlfriend of yours’ anyway?  I want to give her...a hug!” 

 

Jim, raised his eyebrows, “I think Jan’s giving her the upstairs tour.”

 

“Okay, then later...so where’s Terri ...I want to give her a hug, too!” 

 

Stanley looked at Jim as Bob Vance rolled his eyes, “Oh thanks for reminding me...I better find her, I think we need to get home before it gets too late...great evening Michael!”  Stanley shook Michael’s hand before retreating to the dining room.

 

Bob took his opportunity as well,  “Yeah...I’m gonna find Phyllis...we’ve got a pretty big day planned for tomorrow, so thanks for everything...lets do this again, soon.”  Bob gave Michael a perfunctory pat on the shoulder, then turned to look for his wife.

 

Almost as an afterthought, and with a slight look of concern on his face, Michael managed a “Bye...Bob, glad you came.”  Bob didn’t hear him and as he disappeared around the corner, Michael added softly, “sorry about the wedding!”

 

A brief silence ensued as it appeared to Jim that Michael was inwardly tallying up the night’s score.  From the look on his face, it seemed as though things weren’t going exactly the way Michael had planned.

 

 “You’re not going to leave...are you Jim...it’s early and I have plenty of wine and beer?”

 

“Kind of sounds like you’ve had plenty of wine and beer...if you ask me!”

 

“Well Jim...I’m not asking...I’m offering....have a cold one...it’s on the house!”

 

Jim couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen Michael this drunk, not even the Christmas party two years ago when he’d bought all that vodka.   But, what the hell, he’d only had the two martinis and a glass of wine, himself...so why not?   Besides, Pam had driven anyway.  “Sure.” 

 

“Follow me...I have Sam Adams in the cooler on the deck.”

 

“Oh....the revolutionary war guy?” Sometimes, it was just too easy and he couldn’t help himself.

 

“No, Jim...the beer...duh!”

 

The beer actually tasted good in the crisp, but not too cool late autumn air.  Jim and Michael leaned against the railing that surrounded the small wooden deck that really seemed more like a porch.  “Not a bad party Michael, thanks for inviting us.”

 

“Thanks for coming...I was worried you two were going to bail on us!  I really wanted you and Pam to come.”

 

Jim felt a pang of guilt.  “No...why did you think that?”

 

“Cause every time I asked you or Pam about doing something with us, you were busy with something else.  Jan thought you were trying to avoid us.”

 

“Oh...sorry if it seemed that way.  But I thought tonight worked out pretty well!” 

 

“Yeah, I guess so...except for Andy.”

 

“I’m sure it was just an honest mistake.”  Given the circumstances, Jim thought it better to be generous.  “Anyway, why was it so important to you for Pam and me to be here?”

 

“Well, I don’t know if you noticed, but we only invited the ‘couples’ in the office.”

 

“Yeah, Pam mentioned that...what was that about, why not everyone?” 

 

“Cause...I had to show Jan.” 

 

Jim caught himself.  “Show Jan what?”

 

“How real couples are...you know...how they can really work!”

 

A confused “Wow!” was all Jim could muster in response.

 

“Yeah, Jim....I wanted Jan to see how Phyllis and Bob Vance get along and Kevin and Stacy and even Oscar and his friend, Gil...he seemed nice enough.” 

 

Jim still had no real idea where this was going. 

 

“And how Stanley and his wife are with each other, and Darryl and Kelly and even Andy and Angela?” 

 

“Actually, Michael...it didn’t seem like Andy and Angela were really having all that much fun, did it?”

 

“No...no Jim...you are definitely right on that account, my friend...they did not look happy tonight, did they...I guess that was probably my fault.  How the hell did those two get together, anyway?”


“I think it was the singing...and the cat!”  Again, too easy!

 

“Huh?”  Michael’s head sort of snapped around as he gave Jim a bewildered look, but he evidently lost his train of thought.  “But you and Pam...I really wanted Jan to see how you and Pam are.”

 

“Pam and me?  How we are...what do you mean, Michael?”

 

Michael gulped the last of his beer and tossed the empty bottle over the railing into the small back yard, where it landed with a soft thud.  “I mean... how you two are with each other...how you and Pam are so good together!”

  

****

  

Pam tried to comfort Jan as best she could, but was unsure as to what exactly she could do.  “Jan, can I ask a question?”

 

“Sure...what?”

 

“If Michael is mad at you and the two of you aren’t really getting along right now...why did you invite all of us to this dinner party, tonight?”

 

Jan straightened up, shaking her shoulders slightly trying to clear her head, “Michael thought it would help.”

 

Pam furrowed her brow, “Help...how?”

 

Jan squirmed slightly, indicating to Pam her continuing reluctance to fully open up.

 

“Look Jan, you need to talk to someone about this...I’m here and I’m willing to listen.”

 

Jan let out a deep breath.  “Michael thinks I don’t know how to be in a relationship.  He says that even though I was married...well, maybe even because of who I married, that I never learned how to trust the other person in my relationships...he even says I don’t trust my own family.”

 

“Do you?” 

 

Jan laughed nervously, “I’ve sued my father twice and both of my younger sisters once...you tell me!” 

 

Pam thought it might actually be best to just not say anything.  

 

Clasping her hands together, Jan rubbed her palms against one another in an agitated, rhythmic motion.  “So Michael thought if we got together with other couples, and saw how they interact with one another that I’d see that trust they have, even if they disagree on something.  He said that despite any kind of disagreement, a good couple doesn’t lose the trust that the other person really only wants to look out for what’s best for the both of them.”

 

Pam was surprised that she didn’t find it that ridiculous an idea.

 

“And Michael has this idea in his head that he and I aren’t getting along because I don’t trust him...it’s why I didn’t think he’s a good manager and wanted to roll him back to sales and it’s why I read his diary and didn’t trust that he’d support me at the deposition.”

 

“So...do you trust him?” 

 

Jan exhaled deeply, “Pam, as strange as this may seem...I do.  I mean deep down...I do trust Michael.  I know he’s going to screw up more times than probably not and I know he’s not the quickest guy around the block...but he truly cares about me.  He’s been there when I needed him, after my divorce...after getting fired...when I needed someone, he was there.  I trust him for that.” 

 

Pam folded her hands, bringing them to rest under her chin, her extended forefingers brushing contemplatively against her lips. “I know something about that, too!” 

 

For the first time, Jan looked directly into Pam’s eyes, “Jim?”

 

“Yes...Jim.” Pam’s voice betrayed a bit of the emotion she felt whenever she thought back to how it had always been Jim she could turn to...that she could count on.  “All those years...I always knew that I could go to Jim with anything, whether it was Roy, my job....Michael....or the dreams I’d once had as a little girl.  And he always listened...but I mean he really listened to me.  Jim never complained, he never made fun of me and he never made it seem as though whatever was bothering me was silly or trivial or something that I couldn’t find a way to deal with.  The thing of it was, I always knew I could trust him to try and understand me when I couldn’t trust Roy to do the same thing.” 

 

“And Jan...” Pam brushed aside a couple of tears that began rolling down her cheeks, “the idea that you can have such faith in another person’s trust just makes all the difference in the world.  With Jim...it’s nothing like it was with Roy...nothing like it at all!”

 

****

  

Jim had never thought of himself and Pam as any kind of role models, not after everything they’d gone through.  Now, here was Michael, fairly gilled to the nines, telling him that he was looking to them to somehow help solve his problems with Jan.  He really didn’t know what to make of all of that.  On one hand it was sort of flattering...to think that Michael or anyone for that matter would look at the way he and Pam were together and envy them, never mind trying to emulate them.  That was pretty heady stuff and the thought brought a wide smile to his face.  He knew inside just how good he and Pam really were together...better actually than anything he’d ever imagined.  It was strangely satisfying to know that someone else looking at them could see even some of that as well.

 

But, to think that people were watching them, observing them almost as though they were guinea pigs in some absurdist lab experiment also made him cringe just a bit.  All he wanted, all he was looking for was to be with Pam.  The two of them making a life, a normal life...and growing together.  It really didn’t matter what anyone else thought and he certainly wasn’t inviting anyone to anoint him and Pam as Scranton’s model couple of the year...not even Dunder-Mifflin’s couple of the year.  He knew all too well that every day wasn’t all ‘puppy dogs and rainbows’...they’d had their moments.

 

“Hey, Michael...don’t get the wrong idea here, but Pam and I aren’t perfect.  Believe me, we have our share of disagreements...just like any other couple.”  

 

“I know...I know...that’s exactly what I mean... that’s what I told Jan.  You and Pam are this really normal couple.  I know you fight...I hope you fight...it’s good to fight, right...cause it’s all about figuring out how to be together.”  His enthusiasm for domestic squabbling would have been more disconcerting to Jim, had he not been able to merely chalk it up to Michael’s alcohol-fueled overindulgence.

 

“Well in some way, yeah.”  Jim was hesitant to agree fully with Michael’s line of reasoning as he’d learned long ago, that when it came to his boss it was always a good idea to hedge one’s bets.  “I will admit, you do have a point.’

 

“Thanks Jim...I knew I was right.”  Michael smiled at Jim with a loopy grin as he turned to pat his shoulder.

 

“But Michael, we work at it...some days it’s just not that easy.  You know how it is, something comes up, she wants it one way, I might want it another...we haggle it out.  We work at it everyday.”  Jim saw Michael’s eyebrows rise in hopeful acknowledgement.  “And, I’m no expert at any of this, but the point is, I trust Pam and I know she trusts me...and in the short time we’ve been together that faith and belief in our trust has created something that’s just so much better than anything we ever were before.  Michael, I really don’t know how to describe it...all I know is that now, with Pam...I see possibilities.  I see things that really mean something, I see a future and I see a reason to get up every morning and just try to be the very best person I can be.”

 

“That’s all I’m trying to do Jim...that’s really all I’m trying to do with Jan.  She needs to see how it can work with other people. That’s what I wanted to show her tonight.  See, that’s why I wanted you and Pam to come.”

 

“Well...it’s not something that’s easy to show...you’ve got to let her know...you’ve got to talk to her about it.”  Again Jim watched as Michael seemed to actually absorb what he’d been saying.  “Hey, if you ever want to talk...”  Jim couldn’t believe that he was actually saying those words.  As he took another sip of beer, the door opened.  It was Jan. 

 

“Tour over?”  Jim took a step toward the doorway.

 

“Oh...yeah, we just came downstairs.  She’s inside, Jim.  Michael you should probably come in too, I think some people are getting ready to leave.”

 

“Okay, hon...is it that late already?”  Michel reached for Jan’s hand.

 

“Getting there...it’s almost eleven...some people have early plans for tomorrow.”

 

Once inside, Jim found Pam talking with Stacy and Kevin.  “Hi Pam...how was the tour?”

 

Pam slid next to Jim as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “Good, it’s a nice condo.  I’ll tell you about it on the ride home. Stacy was just asking if we’d be interested in having dinner at their house in the next couple of weeks...so you and Abby can finally have your ‘date’”.  She gave Jim a little jab in the ribs and glanced up to flash him a wry smile.

 

“Yeah Jim,” added Stacy, “you’d better hurry because I think she’s starting to get interested in a boy at school.”

 

“Oh, oh...hope I haven’t lost my chance?” Jim smiled.

 

“So how about it lover boy....you think next weekend works for you?”  Pam gave him a squeeze. 

 

“Sounds good to me...just as long as I don’t have to wear a suit.”

 

“I’ll check with Abby, but I think you’re good.”  Stacy smiled then looked over her shoulder to find their hosts.  “Well Kevin, I think we should say our ‘goodbyes’ to Jan and Michael...so we’ll see you guys next Saturday.  I’ll call you during the week, Pam to finalize everything.”

 

“Okay Stacy...nice seeing you...and nice seeing you Kevin.” She leaned forward and gave each a light peck on the cheek.  Jim thought he saw Kevin blush.

 

As most everyone had left or made their way to the hallway, offering their thanks and goodbyes, Jim and Pam found themselves alone in the living room.  Pam slipped from Jim’s arm to move closer to the fireplace but caught hold of his hand slipping her fingers through his.  From the short distance Jim watched as she poked at the glowing embers.  Her green dress shimmered with a slightly bronzed hue in the waning ebb of the flickering light and the crimson glow caught the highlights of her soft auburn curls.  God she was beautiful!  Pulling her back into his arms, Jim kissed Pam, softly...sweetly.

 

“You two like a nightcap...” Michael called out, “or maybe a room?” 

 

Startled, Jim and Pam turned to find Michael and Jan standing just inside the hallway.  Michael’s collar was undone, a bottle of wine dangling loosely at his side.

 

“Don’t be embarrassed, it was just a kiss.  How about some wine?  Can you guys stay for a few minutes, it’s not that late?”

 

Pam looked at Jim with a desire he easily recognized and shared.  “I’m sorry...but I think Pam and I should probably be going, too.”   Pam squeezed his hand with a growing sense of urgency.

 

“Yes, Jan...Michael, it was a lovely evening.  We really enjoyed ourselves, didn’t we Jim?” 

 

“Oh, definitely,” Jim responded.

 

“But, it’s early, I still...”

 

Jan cut him off, “Michael...enough...I think they want to get home.”

 

Pam gave Jan a brief smile.  “Is there anything we can help you with before we go?”

 

Jan approached with their coats, “No thanks...we’ll take care of everything in the morning, besides you’ve already done more than your share for this evening.”  Jan gave Pam a knowing look.

 

Goodbyes were exchanged and soon enough Jim and Pam were standing next to her car.  Without a word Pam stepped forward, turning into Jim’s arms and arching against him.  Maybe it was the wine or her talk with Jan, but in that moment she knew only that she had to feel his lips against hers.  She kissed him softly, slowly...letting her lips linger teasingly.  Jim’s hands circled her waist as he leaned into her hips.  In response, her hands found their way to the back of his neck, pulling him even closer.   Pam pressed her lips to his with a yearning that never failed to make his heart skip a beat.  When they finally broke their embrace no words were spoken as none were needed...they only had to look into the other’s eyes to see everything they needed to know.  

 

It was time to go home.

  

THE END

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3189