Here comes life by iwantphillyjim
Summary: Season 3 AU, Jim gets a surprise after the merger.

I own nothing at all, not even my own stuff.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Angst, Drunk Pam/Jim, Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Moderate sexual content, Violence/Injury
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 25704 Read: 21590 Published: May 12, 2008 Updated: June 30, 2008
Story Notes:
This first chapter is the set up.

1. Chapter 1 by iwantphillyjim

2. Chapter 2 by iwantphillyjim

3. Chapter 3 by iwantphillyjim

4. Chapter 4 by iwantphillyjim

5. Chapter 5 by iwantphillyjim

6. Chapter 6 by iwantphillyjim

7. Chapter 7 by iwantphillyjim

Chapter 1 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
Hope you like this, I am an AU whore! so i had to write this.
It was the middle of March, and Jim Halpert was feeling pretty miserable. He just arrived home after another long day at Dunder Mifflin, dealing with Dwight and then Pam’s wedding plans. He really didn’t know what to do with himself, he felt more desperate everyday. He was barely sleeping and couldn’t even enjoy food anymore. It was completely depressing. He plopped on the couch with a beer and loosened his tie. At least it was Friday he thought. He turned on the tv and tried to zone out.

His roommate Mark came in around 6:30 and told Jim to stop moping and get changed. They were going to his friend Ted’s party. He was graduating from the fire academy and was ready to party. Jim didn’t really feel like going, but Mark convinced him to go, some of their old college friends would be there too. Jim got changed and they left just after 7:00. Mark’s girlfriend Melissa was there when they walked in, she was talking to Lisa, a girl Jim was friends with in college, but he had not seen her for some time.

They greeted each other and made small talk. They both started drinking many beers, and at one point they found themselves in the back yard commiserating about love and how much it sucks sometimes. Lisa and her boyfriend Joe were fighting a lot and had broken up about 2 weeks before. Jim listened to her go on about how much of an ass he could be, and then he’d be sweet at other times. Jim kind of scoffed at her at one point so she asked him what that was about. He started to tell her about Pam and Roy, how Joe sounded a lot like Roy. Mark interrupted them for a moment when he came out and gave them both a couple of shots of rum and then went back inside. After about 15 minutes of more Joe talk Lisa suddenly feeling a stronger buzz, decided that she had enough Joe for one night.

She started asking Jim why he was so angry about Roy, he was feeling really drunk and decided that he could tell her, she didn’t know Pam after all, and he needed to get it out somehow, he suffered a long time, silently. He started telling her all about Pam and how much he hated Roy for the way he treated her, and hated himself for not owning up to it sooner. He told her about Katy and the booze cruise. He was drowning in his feelings and could barely take it anymore. Lisa listened intently and told him how sorry she was. He was no where near done his story when Mark came out and said he wanted to leave. They all had too much to drink, so he called a cab. Lisa decided she would go home with them and Melissa and comeback tomorrow for their cars. She knew Jim still needed to get some stuff out, she could just tell by the pained look on his face.

When they got back to Jim and Marks place, Melissa and Mark disappeared into his room. Jim and Lisa were on the couch talking for about an hour when they both started yawning. They were still feeling pretty good from the alcohol, but decided it was time for bed. Jim was going to stay on the couch, he walked Lisa to his room and showed her in, he grabbed a t-shirt for her to sleep in. As he was turning around from the bed after grabbing a pillow, Lisa pushed him back on the bed and straddled him, she started to kiss him, and he was too drunk to fight her.

They rolled over on their sides and just kissed for a while, it felt nice and it was comforting. One thing ended up leading to the other and the next morning Jim woke up in his bed naked under the comforter with a note on the pillow next to him. He almost thought it was just a dream until he saw the note. He picked it up to read it.

Jim,

Thank you for a great night, I don’t normally do that kind of thing, but I’ve known you a long time, so I can live with it. Please don’t feel bad, we both had a lot to drink, and I’m not sorry. I think we both needed it. I hope things work out for you and Pam, you really should tell her.

Take care
Lisa

He was surprised, he didn’t feel bad and it was oddly comforting. He felt a bit lighter after getting a lot of his feelings out, and hearing someone else’s perspective on the situation. He cleaned up his room, tossed out the condom wrapper he found on the floor and changed his sheets. After his laundry was done he went to the mall to pick up a few things. He decided that day that he would try to tell Pam soon, in someway, just so she knew. That thought made him feel sick to his stomach and excited at the same time.

A few weeks after that night with Lisa, he had gotten a message from her, she was trying to work it out with Joe and she actually sounded happy. She asked Jim to keep that night a secret, which he had. She had taken a cab early that morning that she slipped out of his room leaving just a note. Mark wasn’t even up yet, so no one knew.

A month later changed Jim’s life, casino night, being rejected and then his transfer to Stamford. He did not think about Lisa again until he had come back to Scranton with the merger. 2 weeks after he got back he had gotten a call from her at work, Melissa and Mark had broken up and she didn’t have his contact info but she knew where Jim worked. She called him up and asked him to lunch to catch up. She was going to meet him at the office on Friday she had an appointment nearby and was taking the rest of the day off from work. Little did Jim know, his life was about to change again.
End Notes:
any good?
Chapter 2 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
Second chapter, longer than the first. I like it.
Friday around 12:00 Pam looked up to see a girl about her age walk through the door, her cheeks were tinged pink from the cold November winds, she had on a coat but that did not hide her very round belly. Pam smiled at her warmly and asked if she could help her.

“Hi, I’m here to meet Jim Halpert.” The girl said as she looked around the room. Pam was intrigued, was this Jim’s sister? She wasn’t too sure.

“He’s in a meeting but he should be done soon, why don’t you have a seat?”

“Thanks, I’m Lisa by the way.” She smiled at Pam as she sat down on the couch next to Pam’s desk.

“I’m Pam and it’s nice to meet you.” Pam noticed a slight hint of recognition cross Lisa’s face when she introduced herself, but she didn’t think too much of it. Pam decided it was time for some tea, wasn’t hungry yet so she was waiting to take her lunch break until later, that and she wouldn’t have to sit in the break room with Jim and Karen. They tried to hide it, but Pam knew she was the girl Jim was seeing the day she watched Karen rub his back in the parking lot, and shattered her hope that he still cared for her they way he’s said. They were being friendly toward each other, so she knew they could try to repair their old relationship at least. But she still didn’t want to eat in the same room as them.

“Would you like something to drink, I’m getting some tea?”

“Wow, um yeah, some water would be great, I can follow you if that’s ok.”

“Don’t worry about it, be back in a flash.” Pam replied as she stepped around the desk and headed to the kitchen. She was back at her desk in a few minutes with a mug of tea and a cup of water which Lisa drank in one gulp.

“Thanks so much, I needed that.”

“No problem, you are drinking for two.”

“It’s awful really, I am always so thirsty and then you have to pee every five minutes”

Pam nodded as she sipped her tea and then replied, “My poor sister was the same way with her pregnancy last year.”

“I just hope it isn’t always like this, I feel like a camel that has to load up with water constantly”

“Well, she had it through her second trimester only, how far along are you?”

“About 8 months actually, I’m due a week before Christmas.”

“Wow, well congratulations.”

“Thanks, so do you have any kids?” Lisa asked her.

“No, I’m not very good with kids, and I’m single.”

“I am totally scared to have a kid, but looks like it’s a bit too late for me. I don’t know anything about babies”

“Good luck to you then!” Pam smiled as she raised her mug in salute. They both laughed at the gesture, that’s when they both heard the conference door open and the sales people were filing out. Jim noticed Pam laughing at the front and then noticed a very pregnant Lisa laughing with her from the couch. He walked toward them smiling and a bit confused.

“Hey Lisa”

“Hey Jim” she answered sounding nervous as she tried to stand up. Jim reached out a hand and helped her up.

“Thanks! That keeps getting harder every time I sit down.”

“Well, I can see why I had no idea you were pregnant, congratulations. Are you ready? I just have to grab my bag.” She nodded as he walked over and took his bag from the back of his chair and then walked over for his coat.

“Pam thanks again for the water and the laughs.” Lisa said as she stood waiting for Jim to put his coat on.

“Don’t mention it, maybe next time you come in rude Jim here will introduce us properly” Pam said in a playful tone as Jim was buttoning his coat.

“Right, sorry Pam this is my friend Lisa, we went to college together, Lisa this is my friend Pam, we suffer here daily together.”

“It was nice to meet you Pam.”

“Likewise.” Pam smiled. She noticed Karen watching from her desk and could swear she looked a bit jealous. Jim hadn’t introduced her to his old friend after all, Pam felt a slight triumph in that.

Jim and Lisa left right after their little exchange, Pam decided she could stomach the break room and went to have her lunch with Phyllis and Kelly.

Jim pulled into the parking lot of Cugino’s a few minutes after pulling out of the parking lot. Lisa was fidgeting with her hands as they took a seat. They ordered some food and then Jim started as she seemed to be very quiet.
“So, having a baby huh?” He knew it sounded lame and he’d already acknowledged that but he was confused why she suddenly needed to see him.

“You noticed that did you?” she replied, still not sure where to start.

“Just an observation, so what else is new, I mean what brought this on, I haven’t heard from you in months.”

“Yeah well, Joe and I got back together right after that party we were at. Like 2 weeks later actually.” She seemed a bit nervous and then he realized, maybe this wasn’t a happy visit.

“I remember your message. Um….did he find out or something? I never said anything to anyone.”

“No actually, well not exactly.” She looked down at the table and took a deep breath.

“Are you ok?” Jim was starting to worry, this was getting weird.

“I’m fine…well not really. You see, it’s been crazy the past few months. My dad died 3 months ago, and Joe and I broke up right after that.”

“Wow, I’m sorry that’s awful, all of it.” Jim was genuinely sad for her, he knew she had lost her mom at a young age and it was just her and her dad. Plus here she is about to have a baby and apparently single.

“Well, my dad was sick for a few months, so that was no surprise, still hard though. But Joe, that got ugly quick. My dad left me some money and his house. I sold the house, because I didn’t like it much and it’s too far for work. Joe was mad about that and then he wanted me to marry him, after I got the money settled. I told him I wanted a pre-nup, it’s a lot of money, and he flipped out.”

“Oh, that’s pretty bad.”

“Yep, my dad had some investments I never knew about so he had a nice chunk set aside. The money should be coming through in a few weeks. After the taxes and all that is handled with my lawyers. Anyhow we started fighting and then he got really nuts after I moved out, I couldn’t take it any more you know?” Jim nodded in understanding as he listened.

“So then he starts about the baby and saying he won’t pay child support and a bunch of other crap. Then he says he doesn’t the baby is his.”

“Man, that’s really shitty”

“Yeah, I mean he’s the only guy I’ve been with for the past year, other than, you know that one time with you, but we used a condom.”

“Right” Jim nodded, suddenly losing his appetite. He was not sure why but he was afraid of where this was going.

“Well, I have been having some issues with the pregnancy, and the doctor wanted to run some tests and while they did, I asked for paternity too, just to shut him up, and he agreed.”


“Uh huh.” Jim was starting to sweat a bit and he felt a bit dizzy.

“It’s not his baby Jim.” She looked at Jim with tears in her eyes, he felt like the wind was knocked out of him. “I’m so sorry, I found out last week, and I didn’t know what to do. I know we used a condom, but I don’t know how….there was no one else, I swear, and you can have a test too if you don’t believe me, but oh god. I’m so sorry.” She broke down and sobbed into her hands which were now covering her face.

Jim didn’t know what to think, he could not believe what he was hearing. They were safe, or at least he thought they were, they were both really drunk, maybe it broke he thought. He started taking deep breaths, the waitress brought their food to the table but neither wanted to eat. Jim thanked her and then he reached out for Lisa resting his hand on her shoulder, “Hey, it’s…I mean, we can figure this out Lisa.”

“I am due to have this baby in 6 weeks and I’m terrified, I feel so bad, when I first found out Joe and I were in a great place I didn’t even think about what happened with us, I knew we used protection, and I just…” she trailed off and shrugged. She was calmer though, Jim had not gotten up and ran away and he didn’t scream at her, she was relieved. “Look, why don’t I get this wrapped up and then we can leave here, I can’t go back to the office now, but maybe we can go to my place and talk some more.”

“Okay, I thought you might want to so that’s why I took off the rest of the day. Jim, I am really sorry.”

“Look, I…I don’t know what to say right now, but it’ll be ok I think.” He wasn’t sure if he was convinced, but he had to try at least, especially if he really was about to be a father.

They drove to his apartment in silence. Once inside he called and told Pam that he had an emergency and that he could not come back into the office. He assured her he was ok, just could not come back for the day. Pam, what would she think? He worried all of the sudden, he knew he was dating Karen, but Pam still meant the world to him and he hoped that one day maybe they could be in the place he had hoped, now that she was single and did not apparently hate him for leaving the way he did. He remembered that she kissed him back and said I can’t not I don’t. He was in a daze all of the sudden, here was his old friend on his couch, pregnant, and apparently with his child. He was in love with one woman and dating another to get over the other. He had to process all of this, and he didn’t know how.

Lisa talked with him for 3 hours, they decided that just to be 100% sure Jim would go and get tested for paternity. She called her doctors office and he told her they could come in right away, so they did. The results would be a few days. Jim figured she would not have gone through all the trouble though if she’d been lying to him and he knew her from school, she was a nice girl and didn’t sleep around in college. After the doctor’s office he took her back to the Dunder Mifflin parking lot for her car, she said she’d call him as soon as she heard. And he could call her if he needed to talk some more. They left it with the agreement that no matter what happened Jim would do whatever he could to help.

Lisa felt much relief as she drove off and headed home. Jim drove home with many thoughts swirling in his head. He was trying to be cool in front of Lisa, but his mind was racing, he was terrified. The one thing he knew for sure was that if this was his child, he would be in his life. Karen called him at 5:00 and he told her that he was fine, but that he needed to cancel their date. She wanted to know if he was ok and he said he was, he didn’t want to lie, but he didn’t know how to break this to her. He also knew that he really wished he had his best friend to talk to about this.

After 6:00 he called Karen and told her he would drop by, he thought about it and figured it was best to get things out into the open as early as you could. When he arrived at the hotel, she greeted him with a kiss, he knew what she was hoping for, but this would not be that kind of visit. So he pulled back after a moment and sat in the desk chair. They had only been dating a few weeks and he still had not taken it to that level, she wanted to, he could tell, but this was a very serious matter. She noticed that he seemed a bit down, so she sat down and asked him what was wrong.

He told her everything about Lisa and the baby possibly being his, he did not know what she was thinking as she listened, but she did not seem too happy. She said she was disappointed when he had finished telling her everything. She knew that this was still new and that if he was going to have a baby with someone else, friend or not, she would not be priority one and neither would their relationship. She could tell he was disappointed but she knew herself and a new relationship was something that had to grow, and a guy with a baby was not her scene. Jim wasn’t completely surprised, but he thought she’d at least say they could wait for his results before breaking up. She told him she didn’t like Scranton that much anyhow and even if he wasn’t the father of this girl’s baby, she preferred guys that were more careful. Jim couldn’t believe what she was saying, she was implying that this was something he did often, she didn’t know him well, and he realized that he was fine with not taking this relationship further. She showed him out and he left feeling slightly pissed at her assumption, but also a sense of relief.

He drove home and ate some of the pizza from earlier that day he had in his refrigerator. He was watching tv and having a beer when he heard his cell phone buzz on the coffee table. He pulled it open and read a text from Pam.
Hope everything’s ok, call me if you want.

It made him smile, this is the one person he felt like he could talk to and she would understand how he felt, or at least she wouldn’t judge him immediately like Karen had. He also knew that even though things were not as smooth with Pam lately as they were before he transferred she did still care for him as a friend. He decided that he would take her up on that offer. He hit the reply button and sent her a text, R U Busy?

She wrote back quickly, Not too busy for you

Was she flirting with him? He decided to call her. She picked up on the second ring.

“Hello Mr. Halpert!” she answered brightly.

“Hey” he smiled as he replied.

“So what’s up? Are you ok?” she had concern in her voice.

“No actually I’m not ok. Can we talk, like in person?” Jim was holding his breath all of the sudden waiting for her answer, he didn’t have to wait long.

“Your place or mine?” she asked, Jim could hear the concern in her voice again and it actually helped him feel calm.

“I’m home, but I can come over your place if it’s ok, if you want.”

“Actually I just left a restaurant downtown, I’ll come to you. Where do you live?” Pam was glad he asked to see her, she had been worried all day after he said he had an emergency and didn’t comeback. She knew he was with Karen, but he was still her best friend, even if it was weird right now. She couldn’t wait to get to his apartment and find out what was going on. She knew he was upset about something, and wanted to help in anyway she could.

He could not believe she was coming over, Jim gave her directions to his apartment and then ran around to pick up the pizza box and his work clothes, he had been sitting in his boxers and a t-shirt. He got dressed and then sat back down in the living room, after another five minutes his door bell rang.
End Notes:
reviews are fun!
Chapter 3 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
this is a bit angsty, I love the angst.
Jim opened the door and there stood Pam looking stunning as ever, she was wearing her pink coat and a scarf, her cheeks were pink from the cold and her hair was down and curled just at the ends. She smiled at him and then asked, “You gonna invite me in?” Jim realized he was just standing there staring at her and he snapped to. “Right, come in, please.” Jim said as he stepped aside.

Pam walked into his apartment and pulled off her coat, Jim took it for her and hung it inside the closet. She looked so different, outside of the office and since he came back to Scranton. She was wearing jeans and a black knit sweater that hugged her curves. Maybe this wasn’t the best idea after all. She made him nervous looking as good as she did, he had some serious stuff going on right now and it was not the time to fall into adoring Pam, especially when she was here in this friend capacity. He didn’t know what to do or where to start so he offered her a drink, he knew he needed one.

“Beer?” she asked. She had a feeling she would need it.

“Sure, I could use one too.” Jim replied as she followed him into the kitchen, he handed her a beer from the refrigerator and they both sat down at the table. Pam looked at him trying to read his face, he took a drink of his beer and then set it down, he picked at the label and stared down at the table top. Pam was really concerned as this was not the Jim she knew, he was worried or something. He obviously needed to talk so she thought she’d start.

“So, what’s up? I mean you seem, quiet maybe…I don’t know.”

“Remember Lisa from today?”

“Of course” Pam thought this was a weird question, considering she met the girl not 9 hours ago.

“She’s having a baby, obviously…she just broke up with her boyfriend.”

“That’s a shame, and scary too.”

“Yeah” Jim was still looking down at the table. He was trying to just get it out, but he was really worried about her reaction. “She said he’s been a real jerk since her dad died a few months back.”

“That’s awful, poor girl, she was so nice in the office today.”

“Yeah she’s always been really cool, her dad raised her on his own, her mom died when she was young. We met in school and she hung around with me and Mark sometimes likes basketball.”

Pam wasn’t sure where he was going with this, but he was obviously opening up so she just watched him and listened, trying to figure out where this was going. She’d been worried all day and then he called her come over and talk, he said that he was not okay and she wanted to help him if she could. She was more confused by the minute as he went on about Lisa. Pam realized also that it was a Friday night and Jim’s girlfriend wasn’t here but she was. She just figured she would let him continue on with the story.

“Last time I seen her was at a party for a friend, we hung out and were talking, it was nice, like old times or whatever. We got pretty drunk and she was telling me about her boyfriend, Joe, they were broken up then too.” Jim looked up and noticed Pam watching him and taking in every word. “She came home with Mark, Melissa and me, we were still talking and the party was winding down, we all took a cab to my house. She and I talked some more on the couch. It was late and I was ready for some sleep.” This was now the hard part. He didn’t want to tell Pam about sleeping with someone. They never really talked about that subject, no matter how close they were as friends. Pam was still listening and she was suddenly nervous anticipating the next part of this story, she knew where it was going and did not want to think about it, but Jim clearly had to get this out.

He took in a deep breath and let out a sigh as he exhaled. “We went up to my room so she could crash and I could get a pillow for the couch. Well….we were still pretty drunk, and then…you know, things got out of hand. It was just that once and we were careful so, I hadn’t thought about it much after.” Jim felt a bit embarrassed telling Pam this, but he had to keep going. “She left me a note and then she called me a few weeks later, and said she was back with her boyfriend.”

Now Pam was starting to get confused; she didn’t know why he was telling her this story. Then she realized that maybe her boyfriend found out, she figured she would just ask. “Did her boyfriend find out or something? Is that why you said you’re not okay? Are you in some kind of trouble?”

Jim suddenly looked up at her with tears in his eyes, Pam was taken back to that night 6 months ago and her heart broke all over again, she reached out and held his hand that rested on the table. “Jim, what is it? You’re scaring me. Does he want to hurt you or something?”

Jim was touched by her concern and he knew he should just spit it out.

“No, he’s not an issue. It’s just… the baby, it’s…uh, it’s possibly…mine.” Jim’s voice broke at the end, Pam squeezed his hand as tears started to pour down her face too.

“Oh my god” it was barely a whisper, she was completely shocked. Jim squeezed her hand back and she looked up to see him wiping is face with his free hand.

“I don’t know what to do, I’m so scared Pam, what am I gonna do?” Pam reached out with her other hand and Jim took it, she smiled at him and then nodded, “It’s gonna be ok, Jim.” It broke her heart to think of him having a child with someone else, but she wanted to be supportive, be his friend. She knew what it was like to be so unsure of what would come next, over the last 6 months her life completely changed and it still terrified her. Her kind words were like air to him, he knew she would understand.

“Thanks Pam, you’re still my best friend, you know?” Pam was trying not to cry anymore so she smiled at him through her tears to reassure him.

“You’re my best friend too Jim, you can get through this I know you can. I will help you in anyway I can, ok?” Pam said as a few more tears rolled down her cheeks she started to calm down. Jim couldn’t believe his ears, here was Pam the woman he loved more than anything even now all these months after casino night and his broken heart and she was giving him unconditional support. It made him love her even more. She wiped her tears away and then stood up and walked around the table, Jim stood too. She wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. Jim was surprised by her sudden embrace but he welcomed it and hugged her back.

“Thank you so much Pam, you have no idea what this means to me.” This made Pam smile, she knew he needed her and she felt like this was a chance to make up for some of the pain she knew she caused him back in May. She didn’t really want to bring it up, but she remembered Karen so she pulled back and asked, “What about Karen?”

“Uh, Karen from work?” he didn’t think she knew, or at least he wasn’t sure she knew.

“Yeah, sorry but I um…I figured she was the girl you were seeing.”

Jim wasn’t very surprised that she figured it out though. She did know him well enough. Since it was out there he decided to just let it all out. He nodded and then answered her.

“I told her earlier tonight and we broke up actually, she didn’t want a guy with a baby or something. I’m not surprised though, she doesn’t like Scranton. Plus it wasn’t serious and it wouldn’t have lasted we only went out a few times for drinks or whatever.” He was surprised at how easily this was all coming out of him now; to Pam no less. He came back to Scranton with a wall up so he wouldn’t get close to her, but now he knew there was no point, he could never shut out Pam. He needed to break the tension though, so he finished his Karen explanation the best way he knew how.

“She was so unfair about it, just assumed I’m some man hussy with like all these illegitimate kids out there.” he shrugged for affect.

Pam laughed slightly at his joke as she pulled back from the hug. “That sucks but don’t worry ok? I’ll still be your friend, even if you are a man hussy. Plus we both know, Dwight can’t get pregnant so no other kids could be floating around out there.”

“Thanks Pam, really!” he replied with a laugh and some sarcasm. “I mean you know I’d do Kevin, not Dwight, get it straight.” Pam laughed as she made her way into his living room and sat on the couch, he followed her. This was good, joking was good and it made him feel a lot better. They talked for another hour or so, he told her about waiting for the test results but also how he knew Lisa wouldn’t lie to him like that so he was already pretty sure he would be a father soon. Pam told him again how she would help him through this. She was secretly glad that Karen and he were over, but she knew that he needed a friend now more than anything. She decided when the time was right she would let him know how she felt. Pam left at nearly midnight. She had an art fair she wanted to go to in the morning, she invited Jim along and he was looking forward to it. She had him at ease by the time she left, and she told him not to worry too much because it would do him no good.

The next morning Pam picked Jim up around 9:30, they were both yawning when he got in the car and said hello. They went to a diner on the way and had breakfast. Pam went for French toast and Jim had pancakes. After breakfast they made their way to the fair, it was being held at the main campus of Scranton University. They walked through the aisles and Pam picked up some supplies at a good discount. She also picked up a small print of the Eiffel Tower. It was a gift for her mom’s upcoming birthday. They were at the fair for at least 2 hours. Jim was glad for the distractions and Pam.

They walked around the campus for about an hour after leaving the fair and packing her finds in the car. They decided to go for some lunch at a nearby deli. During lunch they kept the conversation light, Pam told Jim about all the craziness he missed out in the last 6 months and he told her about Andy’s jell-o calculator and the whole “Tuna” thing. It felt like old times to both of them, and they were really enjoying it. After lunch Pam dropped Jim off at then made her own way home. She was worried for Jim and the things that were ahead of him, especially the next few days when he wouldn’t know with absolute certainty; he told her that was the hardest part.

Over the next few days Jim tried to stay calm and figure out a plan. On Wednesday he got a call from Lisa at 1:00 on his cell phone. It was confirmed, he was the father. Jim told her they should meet up that night. Pam heard him make plans with Lisa, and she knew what that meant. She was glad she finally knew for sure, but she didn’t know what to do with her feelings. She was glad the wait was over, but she was scared too. The last few days had been great, she and Jim had dinner on Monday night and the day they spent together on Saturday just showed her more and more about why she wanted to be with him. Now knowing that he was going to be a father she thought he may not have time for a relationship, so she would have to keep her feelings hidden for now. He had enough to deal with, plus she wasn’t sure he still loved her. She knew he cared and needed her friendship though, so she could do that.

Jim got up and headed to the stairwell after the phone call. He sat down on the landing, closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the wall. He was going to be a father and it was the scariest thing he could imagine. He always thought he’d be older, and married before he had children, he wasn’t even dating Lisa. He knew some things about babies, he’d changed his nephews diaper a few times and it wasn’t a total disaster, but this would be HIS child. He remembered that Lisa said it was a boy. He was going to have a son, in just a few weeks, unbelievable. He heard the door open and knew it was Pam coming to check on him. She didn’t say anything. She just sat down next to him quietly. She didn’t know what to say, but she wanted to be there.

“Hey” he said as he opened his eyes and looked over at her.

“Hey” she gave him what she hoped was a reassuring smile. “So?” she prodded.

“It’s official, she just found out from the doctor’s office. They’ll probably call me too.” Pam nodded as she listened to her best friend acknowledge out loud that he’d soon have a child.

“Are you alright? Because we can go mess with Dwight if you need to feel better.” Pam smiled as he smiled at her.

“Not today, but thanks. I think the past few days have helped absorb some of the shock. Lisa’s coming over tonight so we can talk about some stuff. I need to talk to my parents too.”

“Want me to cover for you so you can slip out early, I’ll create a diversion.”

“What kind?” Jim was curious and smiling.

“I can ask Andy and Michael to sing for me, Andy’s got that nifty banjo all the time, trying to sing to me thanks to you.”

“Sorry about that…” He grinned at her, “and thanks, but that shouldn’t be necessary.” She could always make him feel better.

“If you say so, I would endure it for you though, just so you know.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” He told her as she stood up.

“Don’t stay out here too long, don’t want you to catch cold” Pam said as she went back up to the office. Jim returned about 10 minutes later. He called his parents and invited them to dinner at his place for tomorrow. He stayed for the rest of the day and at 5:00 he said goodbye to Pam as he headed out the door.

Jim went home, changed and waited for Lisa. She got to his house at 6:00 and they ordered some Chinese. They talked about what they would do, Jim was thinking about it all day. After 3 hours they settled on her moving into Jim’s apartment, he had a spare bedroom and a 1 year lease, plus he could help her with the baby. He wanted to be in his child’s life. They agreed that they could be friends that happened to have a baby together, and would just take things as they came. It was scary but at least they weren’t alone. Lisa had been staying in a month to month rental so she could move whenever really, her rent was paid through the end of November only, so Jim told her she could move in that weekend.

He also told Lisa that he was having his parents over the next night, and he explained that maybe it was too early to meet them. He knew they were having a baby together, but he thought he should tell them first and feel out their reaction. After all this was a baby that resulted from a one night stand and was due only about a month away. They didn’t have much time to get used to the idea. He knew his parents might be upset and confused; sure they were cool and not uptight at all but they were a bit traditional. A baby out of wedlock and they weren’t even together, they may have issues with that.

Lisa left around 10:00 saying she’d see him Saturday. Jim called Pam to tell her what they worked out. She was glad he was taking this all so well. She told Jim he’d be a great father and she really meant it, he was great with the kids that day months ago during that daughters day. Jim was really glad that she told him that, but he was still scared. The next day at work Jim and Pam went to lunch and they talked about the weekend moving plans. Pam offered to help but Jim explained that Lisa wasn’t bringing much, it wasn’t a permanent move. She had been living in a furnished rental unit and most of her things were in storage since she left Joe. She would live with Jim until they were both comfortable with the baby and being alone with the baby. Then she was getting her own place. The only thing she really needed was her bed and dresser and she had a crib and a few other baby things.

Dinner with his parents was nerve wracking at first, he told them about the baby and they were surprised but said that they were proud of how he was handling things. His mom started talking about baby toys, car seats and outfits by the end of the evening. He was relieved, despite the awkwardness of the sudden life change that came upon him, Jim felt lucky. His parents were being supportive and Pam was being amazing and then there was Lisa, who seemed to be doing ok with this too. It wasn’t the end of the world. At work Karen had worked out a transfer and she was leaving on Friday. Jim was glad about that after the way she reacted to him, he supposed he couldn’t blame her, but she was so cold about it, he wasn’t sure why he wanted to date her to begin with, other than a shield from Pam. But things with Pam were good at the moment.
End Notes:
hope it's not too bad...looking forward to the next chapter.
Chapter 4 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
Lisa moves in and gives Jim some advice.

Thanks again to my awesome beta, Elly!

Now, please enjoy!
On Friday night Jim called Pam around 7:00 to finalize plans to help Lisa move in. Since Lisa was 8 months pregnant and practically useless, Pam insisted that she would help with moving Lisa in. Jim had already cleaned the entire apartment and even, went grocery shopping the night before and all he had to do now was move Lisa in tomorrow. Her bed and dresser were the biggest items so Jim called his friend Tom who had a pickup truck. Tom and Pam were coming over at 11:00, and they would all drive to Lisa's.

Jim and Pam decided they should see a movie because for the next 2 days, things were sure to be busy and they wanted an excuse to see each other. Pam picked him up at 7:30 and headed toward the mall. They had some time left before the movie and Pam wanted to pick up a new book she read some reviews on. They went to the book store and found the book right in front on a large display. Pam remembered another book she wanted so she went up to the counter to get some help. Jim was walking around looking at the sports books first, and then he found himself in front of some baby/family planning books, he picked up one about fatherhood. He started flipping the pages and skimming the paragraphs.

Pam found her book after being pointed in the right direction and decided she was good with these 2 for now, she started looking for Jim. She went to the sports section first but there was no Jim, she started to wander the aisles wondering where he was. She stopped behind a shelf when she noticed him in the family section with an open book in his hands. His brow was furrowed and he had that worried look again. She walked toward him and he looked up when he noticed the movement beside him.

"Hey" he shut the book and smiled at her. "Just…curious I guess?" He showed her the front of the book, Pam recognized the title.

"Why don't you get it? My sister bought that one for her husband when she found out she was pregnant. She read it too, said it was good."

"Couldn't hurt, huh?"

"You do need all the help you can get." Jim smiled at her teasing tone. Pam's support was really comforting and her joking helped him not freak out too much. His head was still spinning with all of the sudden changes and Pam was really great trying to keep things at least feeling normal. Jim decided he would get the book and they headed toward the register. Once they had their bags, Pam realized it was 10 minutes until the movie.

After arriving at the theater, they grabbed some snacks and headed inside to find some seats. They were able to get a good spot since the movie was already out for a few weeks and it wasn't very crowded. They shared some popcorn and Pam kept stealing his chocolate raisins. They enjoyed the movie and at times were whispering insults to each other about some of the cheesier moments. Pam was really enjoying the feel of Jim's breath on her neck when he'd lean down to say something to her. She kept wishing he'd hold her hand or put his arm around her, but she had to remind herself that this wasn't a date.

Pam started to feel really tired, she was up early that day and it was probably nearly 10:00. Her eyelids felt heavy and she was really trying to fight it. Jim felt a pressure on his shoulder and looked down to see Pam asleep. It was just like he had that time in the conference room and he had smiled just like he did back then. When the movie was over people were getting up to leave so he had to wake her, "Pam" he whispered and she began to stir.

"Hmm?" she still had her eyes closed and she wasn't ready to move.

"We should get going; the movies over." Pam opened her eyes and sat up, she forgot for a moment where she was, all she could smell was Jim and could feel his warmth on her cheek. She blushed in embarrassment.

"Sorry, I'm just tired." She mumbled as she stood up and started to put her coat on.

"Don't worry about it, do you want me to drive on the way back?"

"Yeah, but I should get a coffee or something, for the drive home."

"Geez, am I that boring, first you fall asleep during the movie, now you need coffee, I'm not a very good date, am I?" He froze for a moment; this wasn't a date, why did he say that?

"Your date skills are fine, I'm just tired because I was up really early."

He relaxed when she apparently brushed off his comment. They made their way to the car and Pam gave him her keys. She was yawning as she climbed into the passenger seat and tossed her books into the back seat. They pulled out of the parking lot. They went to a drive through Dunkin Donuts for Pam's coffee. Jim didn't have one, he was tired too but the coffee would've kept him up all night and he needed to rest for tomorrow.

When they got to his apartment Pam was fully alert, Jim got out of the car as did Pam and she walked around to the drivers side and said goodnight to each other. While driving home, Pam was thinking about his comment about being a bad date. She knew that could never be true. If Jim could make a lunch break at Dunder Mifflin fun, he could make anything fun. She wished they were on a date then maybe she'd be in his arms right now instead of driving back to her empty apartment alone. When she got home she took out her contacts, washed her face and put on her pajamas and glasses then she settled into bed with her new book. She started to feel tired again so she turned out the lights and fell asleep thinking of Jim's warm shoulder and the way she could still smell him just a little bit. Must be in her hair she thought.

The next day moving Lisa's things was not difficult at all. It only took 2 hours to get everything from her apartment and into Jim's. Lisa pointed out where she’d like the bed, her dresser and the crib. Tom and Jim put together her bed and then started on the baby crib, as Lisa and Pam sat in the living room and talked on the couch. They had all of Lisa's clothes folded or on hangers and were waiting to put them in her closet and dresser when they guys were done. Lisa put her feet up on the table and leaned back, she already felt tired and it wasn't even 2:00 yet. There weren't too many boxes in the living room, mostly the few baby items Lisa had picked up, and then one box with her personal items and one for her toiletries.

Pam thought Lisa was really nice and she seemed to be really sweet. Pam couldn't imagine being in her shoes, it seemed like Jim was the only friend she had. She explained that she worked a lot and then her ex-boyfriend Joe had taken up a lot of her other time. She had a few friends, but no family, and she didn't see her friends that often. They started talking about Jim and Lisa said she couldn't believe how great he was being.

"He is really great. He's my best friend and I'm really proud of him." Pam knew he was scared about being a father, but he was doing the responsible thing. Lisa noticed the look in Pam's eyes as she spoke about Jim, and that's when she realized that this must be the girl Jim was talking about that night. She thought her name was familiar that day they met, but she was so preoccupied that she hadn't really thought about it.

"So, you um…you really like him huh?" Lisa asked, she could tell from Pam's face, it was so obvious. And she knew how Jim felt, it was pretty obvious he still felt the same way.

"Um…" she didn't know what to say, it felt kind of weird talking to the mother of Jim's baby about her feelings toward him.

"You said you were single, right?"

"Now I am, I was supposed to get married in June, but I had to get of that, I mean…it wasn't a very good relationship. Roy, my ex, he and I just grew apart."

"And now you have feelings for Jim?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Just a little. Sorry, I mean…is this weird for you? I know they can't hear us with that music on in there."

"I just, I mean, it's a little weird I guess, with you and Jim having a baby together and all…. Though it does help to talk about, I don't have many girlfriends either, just a few girls from class."

"We're kindred spirits then, except for liking Jim, which I don't, not in that way just so you know." Lisa then chuckled and continued, "I know it sounds bad, but this was really just a one time thing, booze and emotions, not a good mix. But, I'm not sorry about having the baby. I love him more every time he kicks me," she finished as she rubbed her belly.

"Already keeping you on your toes huh?"

"Yep, right now actually, do you wanna feel?" she pulled Pam's hand and rested it where the baby was kicking.

"Wow, that's so cool…my poor sister had this going on all the time, usually when she tried to sleep."

"I get my sleep now, but once he's here, we'll have to see what he's like."

"Feels like he stopped;" Pam pulled her hand back and went to refill their glasses and regroup. She felt like Lisa and she could be friends, however she also felt a type of jealousy that this woman was having Jim’s baby, Jim’s baby by another woman. She really wanted to be with him but she was worried about the jealousy toward Lisa, on the other hand, maybe she could just get past it in time.

She came back in and sat down with Lisa again, who apparently was not done talking about Jim.

"I just want you to understand, I have always thought Jim's a great guy, he's just not my type, you know? And this," she pointed to her belly, "was a one time thing. I know he cares about you, and we're only living together for the baby, just until we both have a grip, I have zero experience with kids, Jim said he has had some so, makes sense I guess."

"Thanks, that helps actually, it's just, I know that I kind of screwed things up with him, so until he's ready, I'll just be his friend."

"Well I hope we can be friends too, deal?"

"Deal"

Pam was very relieved after that conversation, and she knew that things would be okay between her and Jim at some point. Once the crib was done, Jim and Tom carried in the boxes and then Pam and Lisa were able to unpack the baby items and get all of her clothes put away. Jim ordered some sandwiches and they all had lunch when everything was done. Tom left just after lunch while Pam and Jim sat in the living room with Lisa and they had her laughing at stories about Dwight. Pam left at 6:00 to go home, she was having fun but could tell that Lisa seemed tired.

Lisa took a nap and Pam had left so Jim decided to read some of his new book on fatherhood. After about an hour Lisa came out of her room and noticed what Jim was reading, she thought of how sweet it was that he was trying to prepare for the baby with this book. She sat on the couch next to him, "Hey roomie, good book? I have the same one for mothers."

"Well, I knew some stuff before, but this is a bit helpful, only it makes babies sound like complicated stereos or something, there's so much to know and do and remember."

"Well, I think we shouldn't worry too much, cavemen could do it, so can we."

"Maybe, but cavemen invented fire too, they weren't as dumb as people think, could you invent fire?"

"Probably not, good point though."

"How are you feeling? Did you sleep okay?"

"Slept fine, feeling kind of okay, I actually have an appointment Monday."

"Is everything alright? Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine, but thanks…I just…I guess I'm a little worried. The baby is fine, very healthy and all that, my last appointment was good."

"Why are you worried then, I don't understand?"

"Remember when I told you that the doctor was doing some testing, and I did the paternity and all that?"

"Yeah, I think so, I'm sorry I don't really remember the entire conversation, it was a doozy."

"Yeah, well anyway, the doctor thinks I may have something wrong, and my mom died when I was young, so I'm a bit freaked. I feel fine though, so it could be nothing. Mom was in an accident, she didn't have any disease or anything so, I don't know. I just get scared sometimes, thinking about the baby makes everything more real, or dangerous…I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say. I’m just scared, now I can’t just worry about myself. I have to think of this little guy with everything I consider."

"Yeah, I keep thinking that too, it’s not about me now. So, do you need me to go to your appointment?"

"No, it's okay, should be fine like I said. Anyway…so, you and Pam have been seeing each other a lot huh?"

"Just a bit, we're getting along great."

"I could tell, you two can really tell a story, you seem very in tune with each other, you seem to know her really well."

"Yeah." Jim was smiling, couldn't help it.

"So, are you going to tell her how you feel, now that she's single?"

"What do you mean?" Jim knew exactly what she meant and she didn't know he already told Pam how he felt, 6 months ago.

"Please…..I know that's the same Pam you told me about back in March."

Jim looked at her expectant expression and decided to spill. He told her all about telling Pam he loved her, her rejection, his transfer to Stamford, and then transferring back to Scranton. She listened to everything and then told him he was an ass for not giving her more time. He agreed, but knew he couldn't change the past, and now he had to focus on her and the baby.

"Jim, do you still love her?" she looked at him seriously as she asked, but she knew.

"Completely." of course, who's he kidding?

"Tell her again Jim; because she is definitely interested; so don't be ridiculous!"

"But you and the baby are going to need a lot of my time."

"Jim I am perfectly capable of handling this baby while you go out to dinner with Pam, and he's also a month away. As long as you have a phone, you can get back here if I go into labor. You deserve to be happy Jim."

"Why do you think she's interested?"

"It's obvious dummy, and she kind of admitted it."

"Really?"

"Yes really, now are you going to ask her out?"

"We've been hanging out a lot already."

"But?"

"I don't know, I just didn't think she was interested. She was kind of flirty a few times, but I just didn’t want to hope." he was really surprised she had admitted it to Lisa.

"Well, she is so.... man up!"

"Thanks Lisa, I guess we'll just see what happens."

"Bullshit! You call her right now and ask her to dinner!" Lisa had a smile on her face but her tone was serious.

"You are so bossy."

"Hormones Jim, read your book." She got up and went to the kitchen for a snack while Jim went into his room and called Pam. She picked up on the third ring,

“Hello?”

“Hey”

“Hay is for horses.”

“You’re a comedian, regular Gilda Radner”

“Nice reference, it’s the frizzy hair right? I don’t do it like that anymore you know, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“I noticed, it looks really nice actually.” Pam blushed, he never said anything, but she was glad he told her that.

“So, is this call for business or pleasure? I was watching a movie on TV, cannot rewind it.”

“Which movie? Spice World right? I knew it, closet spice girls fan.”

“My name is Pam, not Kelly thank you!”

“You are correct, terribly sorry, won’t make that mistake again.”

“Good, or I might have to call you Dwight.”

“Anything but that Pam, really, that is just…scary.”

“Alright, so again, what’s up? Did you not get sick of me today?”

“As if that could ever happen.” She could not believe he was flirting with her, did Lisa say something? Lisa tapped on his door. She stuck her head and whispered, “Well?” he held his finger up to her.

“You’re sweet, so….”

“Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night?”

“I’d love to. What time should I be there?” at his smile Lisa went back to the living room.

“How about I pick you up at 6:00?”

“Okay, sounds good.”

“Alright, then it’s a date.”

“Okay then.” He could hear the smile in her voice that matched his.

“6:00”

“6:00”

“So, I’ll see you then.”

“I’ll be ready.”

“Bye”

“Bye”
End Notes:
let me know what you think, or not...just hope the people are getting what they want ;)
Chapter 5 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
So, here we go...now it all get's a bit interesting, Elly thank you so much for being my beta!

Same disclaimer, I own nothing, only for entertainment, yadda yadda yadda.

Enjoy
Sunday morning Jim awoke to the smell of bacon in his apartment, that hadn't happened since he was in high school. He walked out to the kitchen after brushing his teeth to be greeted by a very chipper Lisa.

"Morning!" she said brightly.

"Hey, what's all this?"

"Just some breakfast, I had a craving for bacon and eggs, so I ran to the store. There's coffee too, I can't have any, but I know you drink it."

"Thanks, so you must be feeling pretty good then huh?" Jim joined her at the table to eat after he grabbed some coffee.

"I just feel a little more relaxed today than I have in the last few weeks. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

"That's good actually; you know my book said added stress at the end of a pregnancy could cause early labor."

"Yeah, I read that too, I just…I guess I'm relieved mostly because I was so worried that this whole thing was going to make you hate me, and now here we are getting along and just dealing."

"Why would you think I'd hate you? We've always been friends, and it takes two Lisa, it's not your fault. We were both there."

"I was just thinking that maybe you'd resent me for showing up and dropping a baby into your life, disrupt what you have going on."

"Honestly, I'm still trying to get used to it, but things are looking up. It's not so bad, just different."

"Well, I just hope things continue to look up. Like you going out with Pam tonight."

"Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it."

"I just hope she isn't uncomfortable with us living together."

"I don't really know what to expect from tonight, but if things work out between us, well… I think Pam will be fine with everything, I mean she's a very understanding person."

"Well, I hope it does go well, I don't see why it wouldn't. Just relax and try to show her a good time."

"Yeah….I just don't want to get my hopes up."

"She said yes to the date, and I know she likes you. Just enjoy it Jim, like I said, you deserve happiness." She smiled and nodded, she truly meant that, this man had been so good to her in the past week, and he could have been a jerk and told her to take a hike. She really hoped Jim could get to where he wanted with Pam.

"So, where are you taking her?"

"Not sure actually, maybe Cugino's, but I don't know, I'm kind of nervous."

"Well you have the whole day, I'm going to the mall, I need a few things."

"Do you want me to go?"

"Nah, you have a date to plan, I can handle it."

"I really don't mind, plus I can pick your brain for ideas."

"Okay, sounds good, I'm getting dressed." With that Lisa went to get ready.

Jim cleared the breakfast dishes and then got dressed; he and Lisa went to the mall where she picked out a car seat, and a baby carrier. After the mall they had lunch and Jim decided to go with Tony's Bistro for dinner it was casual but really nice and cozy, romantic even. When they got home there was a message on the machine, Jim's mom called about Thanksgiving plans. Jim invited Lisa after he called back; she wanted to meet the mother of her new grandson. After that he relaxed on the couch for a while to watch the Eagles game. Once the game was over he got ready for his date.

Pam was applying her lip gloss when she heard the door bell ring just before 6:00, this was it. Jim was there for their "date" as he called it. She took one last look in the mirror before going to answer the door. She was nervous and wasn't sure of where they were going, but knowing Jim she went for something casual but not too casual. She was actually pleased with her "ensemble" as Kelly would call it. He looked stunned when she opened the door.

"Hi"

"Hey, come on in, I'm just about ready." She stepped aside as he walked in.

"I just have to put my boots on; you're early." She said over her shoulder as she walked back to her bedroom.

"Yeah, sorry…"

"Don't be…no biggie."

Jim watched her go; she had on a black long sleeve v-neck sweater which fit her body perfectly and a dark pair or jeans. Her hair was completely down and curled slightly at the ends. He always found her beautiful, but tonight she was stunning. She came back out a minute later her purse in hand and few inches taller, he wasn't used to seeing her in heels.

"You look really…wow."

"Thanks." her cheeks were instantly red and very warm.

She pulled on her coat and they walked out to his car, he held the door open for her as she climbed in. They were fairly quiet on the way to the restaurant. Both not knowing what to say; Pam had been looking forward to this all day, and now here they were. After Jim gave his name for the reservation they were shown to a small table in the corner, Jim ordered some wine as they looked over the menu.

"This is really nice, I've never been here."

"Really? Jim was actually pleased by this.

"Really, so how's the food?"

"Well, it's actually really great, I love their shrimp scampi."

"Hm…I think I wanna try the lasagna."

"That's really good too."

They were enjoying the wine and the cozy atmosphere, then their food arrived and Jim insisted Pam try some of his shrimp, which she agreed was delicious. After dinner they relaxed and enjoyed the wine. They spoke about their holiday plans for that coming Thursday. She was driving to see her parents and would stay there for the weekend. Jim told her about going to his parent's house and them wanting to meet Lisa. Pam felt that jealousy again, she wasn't sure how to feel, she believed what Lisa said about not wanting to be with Jim, she couldn't help it though that they were living together, having a baby and were going to his parents together for Thanksgiving. Pam just did what she could to bury that feeling and she would try to enjoy her evening.

After they ordered some dessert, Jim took her hand that was resting on the table and looked at her with such sincerity in his eyes as he spoke.

"Pam, I just really want to say that you have no idea how much it means to me that you've really been a great friend over this past week."

She smiled at him not sure what to say, her emotions were running high and she wanted to be honest with him, she just wasn't sure how honest she should be.

"You've always been there for me, so I want to always be there for you."

Jim felt guilty at her words; he honestly hasn't always been there. He'd thought a lot about how quickly he ran from Scranton without giving her so much as a goodbye. He wasn't sure what to say so he gave her hand a squeeze and she continued.

"I know how scary it is when everything in your life suddenly changes. Anyone going through something like that could really use a friend, believe me…I know how it feels to need that friend."

"Pam, I'm really sorry-"

"No Jim, please don't apologize. I get it, why you left…I do, and I'm sorry for hurting you."

"Well, I am sorry just so you know…You know I can't believe how brave you've been through all of this. I know it had to be hard for you."

"It was, but I'm doing okay now. And I think you're brave too, this whole baby thing, I think you're handling everything really well considering… I'm really proud of you."

Jim couldn't help the emotions he felt at that moment, he didn't know what to say, he just gave her hand another squeeze. They both fell silent when their dessert came, they shared the tiramisu and the waitress brought them their check not long after. It was a cold night and Pam was shivering when they got into the car. Once they arrived back at her apartment, Jim walked her to her door. She was freezing and couldn't wait to get inside, but she didn't want to say goodnight just yet.

Jim stood there nervously while she fished out her keys, she was trying to muster the courage to just invite him in, and he was trying to decide if he would kiss her or not. They had a nice time but they weren't necessarily flirty and he wasn't too confident that kissing would be a good thing. Once the keys were in her hand she finally decided she would just go for it.

"D'you wanna come in?" she looked up at him with hope in her eyes.

"Sure."

With a smile she turned and unlocked the door, she flipped the switch for the lights as Jim followed her inside. She took his coat and hung it in the closet with hers. She headed straight towards her tea kettle; and filled it with water.

"I'm freezing…I'm gonna put on some water, do you want some tea?"

"Sounds good."

Jim stood there glancing around at the living room, he was glad to see the home she had made for herself. Feminine but not too much, it wasn't frilly, just like Pam, and one of the many things he loved about her. She told him to go sit down, the tea was almost ready, he offered to help but she shooed him away. A few minutes later she walked into the living room still clearly cold. She pulled off her boots as she settled on the couch next to Jim who now had a steaming mug in his hands. She wrapped the throw from the arm of the couch over her legs which were now mostly tucked under her. Jim noticed that she her teeth nearly chattered.

"Pam you're shivering. C'mere." He moved closer to her.

"I'm okay I just have to warm up." She took another sip of her tea as Jim put his arm around her. She leaned into him and felt much warmer immediately. They were quiet for a while, just enjoying each others touch and warmth. Pam wished she could stay right here with him always. It had been a great night and here she was pressed close against him, breathing him in. She leaned forward to set down her mug and then leaned back into his embrace.

They watched a movie on cable, it was bad and they made fun of just about every minute. The comfort of just sitting with him and enjoying something so simple felt amazing, there was no worry or fear, it felt like home. Closer to the end of the movie Pam felt more comfortable, she was no longer shivering so she took the blanket off of her legs and put it over the arm of the couch.

"All better?"

"Much better, thanks."

"Anytime"

Silence fell over them, for a few minutes neither knowing what to say or do. They had spent a lot of time this week talking about Jim and the situation he found himself in and they'd said quite a bit at dinner. They really didn't need words right now, just the comfort of each other. Pam felt like this was exactly where she belonged, with Jim, in his arms. She didn't want to rush things, but she wanted him to know that there was more than just her friendship. It was right, and she'd thought a lot about it, she knew now that she wanted only him, baby or not.

"Jim…" when he turned towards her she brought her left hand up to his cheek and met his eyes. They were gazing into each others eyes for a moment, each trying to read the others thoughts. As she parted her lips to speak, she was cut off by Jim kissing her softly and she forgot what she wanted to say.

He'd wanted to kiss her from the time she opened the front door and now he was. She was surprised at first but that quickly faded, she pressed her lips to his in return and wrapped both arms around his neck. It was a long, slow kiss. Jim's mind was racing and he reluctantly pulled back to say something; "Pam" She pulled him right back to her for another kiss now he forgot what he wanted to say.

Pam never wanted to stop kissing him, she felt dizzy, it was like she was spinning but never wanted off the ride. She only had a moment of his lips that dark night in the office, but now it was lips and hands and arms and Jim, it just felt like he was everywhere and it went on and on. She knew it had to stop though, at least for tonight, no matter how much she wanted this, him; she knew they should take it slow. If this was going to work, they needed to take it slowly. She gently pulled away from his embrace, her lips still slightly on his; she really didn't want to stop. "Jim" she whispered against his mouth. He pulled back too look at her "I'm sorry," he whispered, though he wasn't the least bit sorry.

"No, this is great, it's just…I don't want to rush you or this, you know? Just with everything going on right now..."

"Yeah…you're right." Jim was nodding.

"Okay."

"Maybe I should get going; it is getting kind of late."

"Yeah"

Pam walked him to the door; she wrapped her arms around his waist and gave him a tight squeeze.

"….Can I see you before Thursday? You know; if you're not busy maybe you could come over here and I'll make dinner."

"Definitely." he couldn't stop smiling.

"Good, how about Wednesday night after work?"

"Wednesday's good…. yeah."

"Cool….I had a great time tonight, thank you."

"Me too," Jim took her face in his hands and kissed her with all he had, which left her breathless when he pulled away. "Goodnight."

"Night." she said dreamily as he stepped outside into the cold November air. Pam shut the door; she leaned against the wall and slid down it. Kissing him felt like floating and now she could barely stand.

Over the next few weeks, Jim and Pam had only been able to see each other a few times outside of work. Jim was trying to take care of Lisa when she needed him, and Pam was busy with school. When they did have time they would go out to dinner, they had seen a few movies, one evening they went to an art gallery for an opening. Each time Jim would drop her off, he'd kiss Pam at her front door, but that was as far as they'd gone. She hadn't even invited him in since their second date when he came for dinner. She was still trying to cope with feeling slightly jealous of Lisa, who she'd become quite friendly with. It was a little confusing, Pam really did like her, but she still had this bit of jealousy. She was afraid that taking it further with Jim might make it worse, it was starting to go away though and Pam was glad she and Lisa had become friends by this point.

At work Jim had told Michael and Toby about the baby coming, he wanted to take a few vacation days once the baby was born to try and get a routine started with the baby. The office staff, thanks to Michael, was surprised that he'd be having a baby in a few weeks. Most people gave him congratulations and left it at that. He clearly did not want to get into the private details. Angela seemed to have an opinion, though she'd only scoff when she'd see him in the break room. Dwight couldn't believe Jim was man enough to manage "procreating" and said he hoped the baby wouldn't be a slacker like his father, but said no more than that.

Everything was going well with the pregnancy; her doctor's visit the week of Thanksgiving was good. They found no problems, everything checked out normal. Lisa was relieved; she'd been worried that something would go wrong after all of her seemingly bad luck lately. Jim's family welcomed Lisa warmly at Thanksgiving dinner; Jim's mom even had a few baby gifts for them. Jim was glad the baby and Lisa were doing well, and was really getting excited about the baby coming. He felt him kick a few times when he and Lisa were hanging out at home just watching TV. She would pull his hand onto her belly if the baby started kicking. Jim's mom had a Christmas ball made up with the baby's name on it; 'Nathaniel James'.

Nathaniel was her fathers name, as soon as Lisa told him she was pregnant, her dad was looking forward to being a "pop-pop." It still broke her heart to think he was gone, and these were her first holidays without him which was more difficult. Lisa wanted the baby to also have Jim's name, she was kind of old fashioned that way, and he was already being a good father. The more she thought about it, Lisa was happy that this good man would be the father of her child and not a jerk like Joe. Jim was really looking forward to being a dad by this point; he even bought the baby an Eagles jersey. Jim and Lisa were getting along great and she was always open to his ramblings about Pam. She was really happy for him and just knew it would work out. Things were slow moving, but he seemed happy.

Lisa was a sweet girl, with a lot of sadness in her past, but she made the best of it and carried on with her life. She hoped one day she'd be lucky enough to fall for a great guy that could just love her for the person she is. Her ex had been calling her lately, saying he was sorry and begging her to come back. She told him no and they should just leave it be. He already knew the baby wasn't his, Lisa figured he was just after her money again.

Lisa was going to be starting her maternity leave after the first week in December, one week early by doctor's orders. Things were going well, but her feet were swollen and painful, and she was just generally uncomfortable. Joe hadn't stopped calling her at work after she changed her cell phone number. She was glad she had moved and he didn't know where she was living, or who she was living with. She didn't think he would respond well to the fact that she was now living with the man she "cheated with" according to him. They were broken up at the time, but in their arguments since he found out it was not his baby, he insisted that it was still cheating.

Jim was concerned when the work phone calls were clearly upsetting Lisa, she explained that she wasn't even listening to the messages, she just hated that he kept calling and wouldn't just leave her be. Jim felt very protective though and he was not happy with this guy messing with her or his child. On her last day of work her coworkers had thrown her a small baby shower, she really appreciated it and the gifts she received. She called Jim to tell him about it, she would need him to unload the car when she got home. He and Pam had dinner plans, but they could take care of that first.

When Jim got home Lisa was already there inside, feet up on the couch. Jim said hello and dropped the gifts he'd had, and then grabbed her car keys to bring in all of the gifts she'd received that day. He set all of the bags in the corner; he promised Lisa they would check everything out the next day. He had also gotten a few gifts that day at work, Phyllis made a blanket and some booties for the baby, Oscar gave him a Phillies outfit and a stuffed baseball. Toby and Kelly pitched in for a gift certificate to Target and even Michael gave Jim a "world's best dad" coffee mug. Jim changed for his date with Pam after making Lisa's dinner; all she wanted the last 3 days was grilled cheese sandwiches and chili. Jim teased her about the weird combination, but she insisted it was the baby's weird taste and not her own.

Lisa forced herself to get up to drop her dishes in the sink and then headed for the bathroom. Once she was done peeing for what felt like the hundredth time that day, she headed back toward the couch. The door bell rang before she could sit and it was cold out so, she called out "I'll get it" as she went to answer the door to let Pam in.
She had just called not twenty minutes ago and said she was going to pick Jim up instead; she had a gift for the baby and figured since everyone else gave their gifts today, she would too.

When the door opened Lisa tensed up immediately, "What are you doing here, how did you-?"

"I followed you home from your office today; who do you think you are not answering my messages?"

She shook her head no as she started to close the door, "No, I'm not dealing with you, please just leave me alone." Joe pushed the door open and walked right in and shut the door behind him.

"I don't think so, where's your boyfriend?" he was looking around. Lisa could smell the liquor and smoke; he clearly went to a bar after he followed her.

"Who do you think you are? Get the hell out of here, NOW!"

Jim came out of the bedroom when he heard Lisa yell; he had his iPod on in his room and didn't realize that it obviously wasn't Pam at the door. He was walking toward Lisa but didn't take his eyes off of the man he assumed was Joe.

"What's going on? Lisa, you okay?" She nodded as she turned toward Joe, she was scared and nervous, but she didn't want him to get out of hand, she knew how to deal with him when he'd been drinking.

"Joe, this is my friend Jim, he's getting ready for dinner with his girlfriend, she'll be here any minute and I think you should just go." Jim had moved toward Lisa until he was between her and Joe, he didn't like the way this guy just barged into his home and was now yelling at Lisa.

"You expect me to believe that? I'm not stupid!"

"Listen man, my girlfriend is going to be here any minute and I really think you should go, we can call you a cab if you want. Lisa really needs her rest."

"Fuck you!" Joe spat at Jim. This wasn't looking very good, but Jim was a salesman and could deal with people. He wanted to knock this guy out, but he was drunk and Jim was a fair guy, plus he didn't like confrontation.

"Lisa, have a seat okay, Joe let's talk about this."

"Nothing to say asshole, you stole my girl!"

"Look man-" Jim began but was cutoff by Lisa.

"JOE! Just stop it, I already told you-"

"You shut up!" he pointed his finger at Lisa like he'd done it a million times before.

Just as Jim reached for the door knob so he could shove this guy out, Joe took a swing at Jim, he ducked and the fist ended up crushing into the door. He yelled out in pain or anger, couldn't tell for sure. Jim knocked him down and told Lisa to call the police. He was holding the drunken man down when the bell rang again. Jim yelled come in and Pam stepped inside. She noticed Jim struggling on the floor holding someone down, and she was confused.

"What the hell?"

"Pam, this is Joe and he's waiting for his ride to the police station. He just wanted to drop by for a little visit." Lisa explained, her words dripping with sarcasm.

"I see." Pam said as she walked over and sat on the couch next to Lisa.

"See Joe, not lying, Jim's actual girlfriend is here and now you're ruining her date." She was pointing to Pam and speaking like Joe was a five year old.

He was drunk, but not so drunk that he didn't feel stupid. He apologized and said he'd be cool. Jim helped him up and asked him to go. He was headed for the door when he stopped suddenly and turned toward Lisa,

"I will find out who you cheated with and I'll kick his ass….screw you and that kid."

Jim wasn't having any of it now, this was his home and it was his child. "Let's go asshole, now." Jim opened the door and shoved him outside. Joe turned around as he stumbled out the door, as he was shutting the door Joe turned around and barreled into Jim. He fell back and hit his head on the floor pretty hard. Lisa and Pam both cried out "Jim!" Pam jumped up and ran toward Joe, who was now punching Jim in the face with his good hand as he sat on top of him. It all happened so quickly she jumped on Joe, knocking him sideways and off of Jim. She turned to Jim her voice full of concern.

"Jim, are you okay?" she was shaking him slightly, but he was knocked out, his lip and nose were bleeding. Lisa was frozen in fear on the couch; she felt so guilty and was terribly afraid of Joe.

The police were pulling up with their lights on when Pam was yelling for Lisa to call an ambulance, the police came in, one grabbed and cuffed Joe who was trying to get up and he was grumbling out words like "whore" and "slut". The other bent down and checked Jim's pulse;

"He's alive, probably just knocked out."

Pam turned to Lisa, "He hit his head pretty hard." She was frantic with worry, her Jim was hurt and she didn't know what to do.

"Jim" her hand was on his cheek and she started to cry.

He started to stir, grunted slightly and opened his eyes. Pam was as relieved as was Lisa, who went to the kitchen and grabbed a towel and handed it to Pam who started to wipe the blood off his face. He tried to sit up but the officer told him to stay still, and he should go to the hospital. Pam cradled his head in her lap and ran her fingers through his hair. Lisa was crying and apologizing through sobs. Pam tried to comfort her;

"It's okay Lisa; this isn't your fault, just calm down. You don't want to go into labor, than you'll both be in the hospital."

No sooner had she said that, Lisa grabbed her stomach and cried out. The officer had her sit down on the couch and radioed for another ambulance, Jim was still lying on the floor with his head in Pam's lap, he was conscious but slightly out of it. The ambulance had just arrived, when they came inside one EMT checked on Jim and the other checked Lisa. Jim maybe had a concussion, his lip wasn't so bad, the nose bleed stopped and he'd likely have a black eye in the morning. Lisa was crying out again so they put her on the stretcher and rushed her to the hospital. Pam went with her as the officers stayed with Jim, the other ambulance had arrived and Lisa needed her more.

Pam managed to call information and then Jim's parents from the ambulance. She was doing all she could to calm Lisa, who was worried it was too early to have the baby. She only had 2 weeks left, so the EMTs told her it should be fine. They arrived at the hospital and Lisa was rushed to maternity. The doctors said everything looked fine, just early labor was all. Pam was holding her hand and they were trying to get through this without Jim. They were both worried about him and hoped he would be okay. When the doctors came back in for another check up after half an hour, Pam stepped out of the room to have a nurse call the ER to check on him.

Pam found out that Jim was being discharged from the emergency room and she was relieved, his mother knew Lisa was in labor and they were probably on the way up. She went back towards Lisa's room when nurses and doctors came rushing out of the room with Lisa's bed. They were rushing down the hall Pam ran after them and was told they had to perform and emergency cesarean. Lisa was unconscious and Pam was immediately flooded with worry. They arrived at the operating room and rushed Lisa inside, Pam was told to wait in the lounge. She ran back to the room Lisa was just rushed out of and found Jim and his parents talking to a nurse.

Pam told them what she knew and they all went to the waiting area, as it was the only thing they could do. Pam felt awkward meeting his parents like this, but they seemed nice enough and they had heard Pam's name a few times before. They were all worried about Lisa and the baby. Jim explained that he was fine, just a few bumps and bruises, plus he could look forward to a wicked morning headache. He started pacing around the lounge, sick with worry that something was wrong.

A short time later a nurse came out to give them an update, she told them about the baby, he was doing well, eight pounds, two ounces and 22 inches long. Jim hugged Pam as she congratulated him. He held her so tight she almost couldn't breathe, he was so worried and now he just felt relief that the baby was okay. That relief was short lived when he asked about Lisa and if he could see her. The nurse explained that she was still in surgery and that a doctor should be out to speak with him as soon as possible. They were all now very concerned for Lisa, if the baby was okay, what was going on, why was she still in surgery. Jim started pacing again and was running his hands through his hair, after another half hour the nurse came back out and had them follow her to the nursery.

Jim couldn't help but feel overcome with love for this new life when they put his son in his arms. Pam welled up at the sight of him and the joy in his eyes; she congratulated him as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. Jim's parents both held the baby for a short time. Finally Jim asked Pam if she'd like to hold him, she felt slightly hesitant, she didn't know if it would be right considering Lisa didn't get to hold him yet and he was her baby, Jim told her that it would be fine and so she took the baby in her arms and looked down at his little face.

He didn't have much hair and he was red and wrinkly, but Pam thought there was never a more perfect baby. He had Jim's ears and according to his mom, he looked just like Jim when he was first born. She was holding him and trying to picture Jim as a baby when she noticed the doctor heading toward them. The nurse put the baby back in the nursery while Pam and Jim went to speak to the doctor.

"Sir, are you Lisa Johnson's husband?"

"No, I'm the baby's father, but we aren't married, what's going on? Is she okay?" Jim felt alarmed at the doctor's question, but tried to keep calm.

"How can we contact her next of kin?" Pam squeezed his hand worried about what was to come next from the doctor.

"What's going on?…I mean, she lives with me, I'm the baby's father, her father died recently, there's no one else."

"Okay, well…I'm very sorry sir, we did all we could-"

"No…" Jim said as Pam grabbed his hand.

"Ms. Johnson lost a lot of blood, during labor there was a rupture in the uterus. There's nothing more we could do. I'm very sorry but, she's gone."

Jim had to sit down, he thought he was going to pass out or be sick. Pam helped him sit in a nearby bench. His parents rushed over and Pam did her best to explain through the tears. Lisa was gone, his son's mother, Jim was in shock, and he just couldn't believe this was true.
End Notes:
The next chapter is nearly done, thanks to everyone who has read and I'll try to not leave you all hanging for too long.
Chapter 6 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
i must say again a BIG thanks to Elly, she is my super-beta, seriously she should have a cape or something! *Hugs from Philly*

Same disclaimer, I do not own a darn bit of the office sadly. Well...aside from dvd's and a serious schrute buck on my desk. But I love them so much.

I'm really enjoying the reviews and feedback. I love this story. Hope you enjoy!
The next few hours seemed to be a blur, the doctors explained what they could about what had happened and that they weren't sure what could have caused it. The baby would have been lost too had they not operated immediately. Jim was at a loss for words, there were so many things going through his mind, he thought he was in a weird dream. He didn't want to leave with the baby who was staying the night in the nursery to be monitored. He was fine so far and appeared to be healthy, but the doctors wanted to keep him for at least another 12 hours. Normally a baby stayed in the hospital with the mother; in this case, he could go home in the morning if everything checked out.

Pam stood by his side as he spoke to the doctors, when he told his parents they could go home and she even stayed the night with him. The nurses gave them some pillows and blankets, the lounge was empty and had a couch and some arm chairs, Pam sat with Jim on the couch. They were sitting silently for long stretches of time since the doctors first gave them the news, they didn't know what to say, could you say anything? They spoke a few times, but it was just nonsense, they were just trying to process everything that happened in the last few hours. They went over to the nursery and looked at the sleeping baby through the glass a few times. Jim even went in one time and held him while he was awake, and Pam went to get them some coffee.

Jim's head started pounding at one point so Pam made him lay down and she got him some aspirin. He was extremely tired and actually fell asleep as Pam ran her hands through his hair as he laid there, his long legs stretched out in front of him and hanging over the arm of the couch. She was sitting in an arm chair next to him and watched as he slept. Pam felt some relief and hoped he could get some descent rest; he would definitely need it for what lay ahead.

Pam was feeling so many emotions at one point she thought she might explode her mind was racing which really didn’t help. She felt her heart break for that little baby who didn't have a mother anymore, for Jim who was now probably feeling so terrified at not having a mother for his child. She also felt guilty for all the times that she felt jealous of Lisa. Now she was gone and she would never get to hold her son or even look at him. It was getting late and Pam felt tired, she closed her eyes and begged for sleep. She wasn't comfortable but the exhaustion helped, she finally drifted off.

Jim hadn't slept for very long, he woke up after only 2 hours, and Pam was asleep in the chair next to him. He was still in shock over Lisa but he was doing much better than before. He stood up and stretched and then made his way down the hall toward the nursery while rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He stood there looking down at the baby's all sleeping soundly in the dimmed lighting, his eyes came to rest on a little blue and white bundle, the front of his bassinet reading Halpert – It's a Boy! Jim smiled at the sight of his son, he was so tiny and fragile, he was sucking on a pacifier, his little mitten covered hands were sticking out of his blanket. He started to move around and the pacifier dropped from his mouth and he started to cry. Jim felt an immediate need to rush in and comfort him, the nurse who was at the counter turned when the baby started crying, she noticed Jim watching him when she turned around. Once she had his pacifier back in his mouth, she stepped out of the room for a moment.

"Sir, did you want to come in and hold him?"

"Oh, I don't know, um…shouldn't he be sleeping?"

"Well, he's awake now, and he's been sleeping since we put him down earlier. He may be up for a bit and it's actually good for them. You know, the contact and everything really soothes them."

"Okay, thanks"

"Good, let's just keep quiet and here put this on. And then come on in okay?...I'm Nurse Suzy by the way" She handed him a disposable gown from the nearby cart to put on over his clothes; he put it on and went inside. He washed his hands as directed and then took a seat. Nurse Suzy was holding the baby already who was wide awake, Jim sat in one of the rocking chairs and then he took the baby in his arms. He looked up at Jim with his blue eyes and just stared at him, he was moving his little hands around in the air, one of the mittens came undone. Jim held out his pinky and he grabbed it and held on. Jim was just watching him in awe as he held onto his pinky with his little hand. Nurse Suzy's voice shook him out of his thoughts.

"He should probably have a bottle; do you want to feed him?"

"Sure, thanks."

"Here you go; I'd burp him after say…one ounce."

"Okay"

Jim removed the pacifier and replaced it with the bottle; he started to drink right away. It didn't take long for him to need a burping; Jim held his son against his chest as the nurse showed him and pat his back firmly, but not hard. He was afraid he'd hurt him, but soon got the hang of it. Once he let it out the small noise Jim gave him some more of the bottle. It wasn't long after that he was sound asleep again. He started to rock slowly in the chair and watched him sleep.

Pam woke up and noticed Jim was not there, the nurse at the desk pointed toward the nursery when she stepped out of the lounge looking around. She walked down the hall and noticed Jim was inside holding his son and rocking in a chair. She felt an ache in her chest as she watched him with the baby and she knew why she was so in love with him. She stood there captivated by the scene and just watched. Jim didn't look sad at all while looking at the baby, he actually looked happy. Pam felt like maybe she was intruding at one point but just couldn't help it.

Jim didn't want to put him down, but he felt his eyes start to droop. He stood up and walked toward the cradle and bent slightly to lower him gently inside. As he set him down, he looked up to see Pam watching him from the hall. She had a sweet smile on her face but looked slightly dazed. She was suddenly aware that he had stood up and was looking right at her; she smiled with a flush to her cheek and looked away. He returned her smile and turned to thank the nurse. When he stepped outside a moment later, Pam was still standing there by the window, now looking down at the sleeping boy. She was fidgeting slightly and a little embarrassed that he'd caught her staring at him.

"Hey" he said as he walked toward her.

"Hey, I um…I woke up and you weren't there so the nurses told me you were over here."

"I just couldn't sleep anymore so I came over for a peek and then the nurse said I could hold him."

"He's really beautiful Jim; he does look like you too."

"You think so huh?" She just nodded, still smiling and she reached out for his hand.

"How's your head?" she asked as he laced his fingers with hers.

"Much better, not the best, but better."

"Good…" she let out a long yawn.

"C'mon, looks like we could both use some more sleep." He said as he turned them back toward the lounge.

"Mm."

Pam climbed onto the couch after Jim insisted he'd already had a turn to stretch out. She fell fast asleep as Jim sat in the chair next to her. He watched her sleep and fell more in love with her and marveling at the fact that she didn't run away. She'd been his rock all night and for the past few weeks really. Exhausted, Jim slid down further in the chair and put his head back, he eventually fell into a thankfully dreamless sleep while thinking of Pam and his son and that he loved them both so much.

The next morning Pam could hear Jim's voice, she thought it might be a pleasant dream, and then she remembered where she was. She kept her eyes closed and just listened to his voice. He was speaking softly and obviously to the baby,

"Well pal, looks like it's gonna be you and me…I'm sorry about that, your mommy sure wanted to meet you." Pam's heart broke for them both and felt tears spring to her eyes. He continued, "But we're not all alone we have grandma and grandpa, you met them last night, and your uncle Jon, aunt Lizzy…yeah...and then there's Pam. She's awesome, you're gonna love her, and I think she likes you already, so you're really lucky….If I'm lucky maybe she'll stick around." His voice was almost a whisper as he trailed off.

She couldn't help the tears that finally started to pour from her eyes, she felt bad now for eavesdropping, but she was glad she'd heard him. She wanted him to know that she wasn't going anywhere. She lay there silently pretending to still be asleep so he wouldn't know she'd heard everything. Finally Pam wiped her eyes and took a breath as she rolled over and stretched.

"Oh! good morning" she said while she sat up.

"Hey" his voice was still low and soft like he was still talking to the baby.

"Have you been up for a while?" he cleared his throat.

"Not too long, just having a chat with little Nate here." Pam leaned forward and looked at the baby who stared at her with wide eyes.

"Hi there Nate! Welcome to the world little guy. My name's Pam." She was smiling down at him; his little arm came up toward her like he was waving at her. Pam held his tiny hand with her thumb pressed to his palm and shook it.

"I think he likes you."

"He's not so bad either." She looked up at Jim, "want some coffee?"

"Actually I already got it, right there." He pointed to a cup on the table in front of her.

"Oh, thank you."

"I ran down to get it when they took care of his circumcision. He was screaming when they brought him back out. I got him to calm down though."

"Aw, poor little guy"

"Tell me about it, you have no idea Pam. They gave me all this ointment and stuff for his…you know, and special diaper instructions for his belly button."

"Yeah, you got to help it shrivel until it falls off. Weird huh?"

"Yeah, I only skimmed through those chapters in my book, figured there was more time to read them." His face fell after that, Pam reached out and touched his arm and he gave her a sad smile.

"Is there anything I can do?" Jim just shrugged what could anyone do now he wondered. He knew he wanted to ask her to stay with him and help him, but he couldn't expect Pam to drop everything suddenly and be his child's mother.

"What about…Lisa?"

"I honestly don't really know, I guess I have to make some calls, and like, funeral plans…"

"We'll figure it out Jim; I'm not going anywhere, okay?" She gave his arm a squeeze as he just nodded sadly.

"Thanks."

"No need to thank me Jim, seriously, we're in this together."

Jim didn't know what to say to that, Pam had really been an amazing comfort through all of this and he knew he would not be getting through this without her. He just nodded again and then they sat there in silence, the baby had fallen asleep, so Jim just sat and held him. Pam sipped her coffee and thought about what her future might hold while she looked at Jim. She wasn't sure where things would go with her and Jim and now, could she take Lisa's place in Nate's life and be his mother?

Not much later, his parents arrived; they had stopped at his apartment for some of the baby's clothes, his snow suit, the car seat and some blankets. Jim's mother dressed the baby and bundled him up while Jim finished the paperwork. He felt a great sadness when he signed the birth certificate, next to mother it had Lisa's name and "deceased" where her signature should have gone. Jim still couldn't believe all that was happening, but he finished everything up and they made their way home.

Jim and his mother went to arrange the funeral while his father stayed with the baby and Pam went home to shower and get some rest. She was still fairly tired and Jim insisted she go home to do whatever she needed. After her shower she tried to fall asleep but she just couldn't, she had been tossing and turning. She couldn't stop thinking about Jim and the baby, she felt like they might need her, Pam packed up a bag and headed back to Jim's. With them trying to take things slow and now all that had happened, she wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not, but she wanted to help him, needed to really. She decided that she would just stay on the couch and help Jim in any way she could. She stopped for sandwiches on the way, when she pulled up to Jim's, his parents were stepping out of the door.

"Hi."

"Hi Pam." his mother greeted her warmly.

"Hi Pam, I'm going to go and start the car." Mr. Halpert told his wife as he stepped off of the porch.

"How's he doing?"

"Good, he's just trying to get the baby to sleep."

"Did he eat lunch?"

"No, he's pretty tired, maybe after a nap though."

"Yeah, okay well I'll see you soon I guess?"

"Sure will. And thanks for being here for him; I really appreciate it."

"It's no problem really…I would do anything for him." His mother pulled her into a hug before saying goodbye.

Pam stepped inside after saying goodbye but Jim was nowhere in sight. She set her bag on the counter, put the food in the fridge, slipped her shoes off and walked quietly down the hall. She peeked into Jim's room and her heart melted at the sight. Jim was stretched out on his back, his hands protectively holding Nate to his chest, they were both asleep. She crept into the room and placed a blanket over them. Jim's eyes slowly opened when he felt Pam's hand graze his.

"Hey." he whispered.

"Sorry, thought you might get cold." she matched his hushed tone so not to wake the baby.

"No, s'okay" Jim's voice was low and gravelly, as he stood up and placed the baby into the bassinet next to his bed. He sat back down hung his head and ran his hands through his hair as he let out a sigh. Jim looked up at her as she spoke;

"I know you need to get some sleep, I tried to at home but I couldn't. Go ahead and lay back down, I'll go watch TV or something."

Jim reached out for her hand as she turned away, "Pam," when she looked down at his face she stepped toward him, wanting to comfort him and take away his pain and his bruises. She ran her fingers across his brow; he closed his eyes as she caressed his cheek and then ran her right index finger lightly over the cut on his lip. He leaned his head forward and rested it against her stomach as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her to stand between his legs, Pam's hands were now rubbing slow circles on his back and she was overwhelmed at his vulnerability. She stood there waiting for him to say something or move, he just held her there, so she held him tighter. She loved him so much and his pain was almost too much to bear. She felt so powerless not knowing how to comfort him really, suddenly she heard him near a whisper, "will you stay with me?"

Pam couldn't say no if she wanted to, she released the tight grasp she had on him and silently climbed onto the bed, Jim laid back down to face her, she looked at his eyes they were so open and full of worry or sadness, maybe both. She placed her hand on his cheek;

"I'm so sorry……You don't deserve any of this."

"Pam, I'm scared, what if I screw up? How can I take care of a baby? I just…" he closed his eyes and rubbed a hand over his face.

"I think you're going be an amazing father, Jim." She took his hand in hers, he kept his eyes closed.

"I just…I don't think I can do this on my own."

"You won't have to…. I meant what I said today, we're in this together." She then placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. He opened his eyes and held her stare, "no matter what, I'm here."

Jim couldn't reply, she had said the same thing earlier and he'd had the same reaction, totally speechless. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to him. Their legs were tangled together and they were chest to chest. Jim closed his eyes again and breathed her in. They both fell asleep almost immediately and stayed in the same position for the next 3 hours. Pam was having a dream and then suddenly a cry ripped through the room. She and Jim both shot up from the bed, Jim was closer so he scooped a screaming Nate into his arms.

"Hey pal, what's going on?" he asked softly as he rubbed the baby's back.

"He may need a diaper change." Pam said as she was rubbing her eyes and walking toward the door, she returned a moment later with everything they needed, the baby was still crying after he was cleaned up, Pam went and made him a bottle as Jim tried to calm him. Once he was fed he fell back to sleep, Jim placed him back in the bassinet and joined Pam in the kitchen. They ate the sandwiches she brought over, and Jim was thankful; he hadn't realized how hungry he was. It was the first time he'd eaten since lunch time the day before. They sat on the couch and watched a movie as it grew darker outside. Jim had his arm on the back of the couch his fingers absently twirling in the back of her hair.

The baby started crying at one point, Jim brought him out to the living room and rocked him gently until his cries stopped, and they finished the movie while taking turns holding the baby. Pam noticed he was wet and needed another diaper change so she carried him in the other room and took care of it. Jim insisted she didn't have to do it, but she just waved him off. She really felt a need to take care of him; she even fed him his bottle and rocked him back to sleep. She went and placed him in the bassinet next to Jim's bed, when she came back out Jim was yawning and his eyes were drooping.

"Jim, I think it's time you went to bed."

"No, I'm okay since we had that nap…unless you want to leave." He sounded hopeful that she would say she was staying for a while longer. She smiled sheepishly at him, "Uh…"

"What?"

"Well….I actually brought a bag to stay over."

"Really?" Jim sounded surprised and somewhat relieved.

"Yeah, it's in the corner over there….I just figured your parents wouldn't be staying the night and this is the first night with the baby at home. I thought you might need some help."

"That's really awesome but I can't ask you to-"

"You don't have to ask…I'd be happy to stay….But if you want I can go."

"No! Please, stay, it's just…I didn't expect..."

"I can stay on the couch and everything I just thought with… you know, everything; you could probably use the company."

"Yeah I could…wow, so how do we do this? Did you bring nail polish and hair products?" Pam slapped him playfully on the arm and she grabbed her bag and headed toward the bathroom, "I'm going to just change."

Jim felt so relieved that she wanted to stay and help him and just keep him company, he did need it. When he wasn't thinking about how horrible the last 24 hours had been, he was thinking of how scary everything else now was. He decided to lighten the tension with a joke. He and Pam have been dating but it's only been a few weeks and he really was freaked out about Lisa and everything right now, he felt so many things.

Jim followed her lead and he went into his room and changed, the baby was sound asleep next to the bed. Jim felt so relaxed at the moment, the baby was asleep and Pam was keeping him company. He was still having a hard time dealing; he knew a good night's sleep would help. He went in and brushed his teeth after Pam came out wearing flannel pajama bottoms and a long sleeve t-shirt, her hair was down and spilling around her shoulders. Jim stepped in and brushed his teeth and then went back to the living room to find Pam lying on the couch, she had pulled the throw over herself and she was curled up into a ball, she had a pillow under her head. Her eyes were closed but she knew she was far from sleep, no matter how tired she felt. She knew where she wanted to be, she just wasn't sure it was the best idea right now.

"Pam, you can't sleep out here, the couch isn't even that comfy."

"I'm fine, really. Go to sleep and I'll see you in the morning."

"Pam...."

"Goodnight, Jim" she said it sweetly but with finality to her voice as she closed her eyes and sighed as though she were content and ready for sleep. Jim headed to the closet and brought out an afghan, he placed it over Pam and whispered good night. He went into his room, climbed into bed and pulled the covers over himself. He was tossing and turning for at least an hour until Pam climbed into bed next to him, "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I couldn't sleep out there."

"I told you that couch isn't that comfy."

"The couch is fine….I just want to be near you…" She snuggled closer to him and put her arm around his waist; his arms instantly were around her, "why are you still awake?"

"Not sure…same reason as you I guess." He said into her hair.

They fell silent and both drifted off to sleep rather quickly. Pam awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, she crept silently to the bathroom and then she slid back into bed next to Jim. As she was laying there trying to fall back to sleep she heard the baby start to move around. Pam braced herself for a cry as she got up to look in on him in his bed, his blankets had shifted, he was only half covered and he was awake looking up at her. Pam pulled his blanket back over him and placed his pacifier in his mouth. He closed his eyes and Pam was able to relax, she climbed into bed again and fell asleep.

The baby's cries woke them both up the next morning around 6 am. Jim joked that Dwight got his wish, this boy was no slacker, he was an early bird. Jim made a bottle as Pam changed the diaper this time; she knew he'd need the practice. She wasn't living here and she wouldn't be here every morning, tomorrow she had work, Jim would surely not be going in this week and would more than likely be here with the baby himself. After his morning bottle the baby drifted off again, Jim and Pam both decided it might be smart to sleep when he sleeps, Nate was back in the cradle and they were cuddled back up in the bed. They were able to sleep for 2 more hours before Nate woke them up again.

Finally having a better grip on things after letting it sink in, Pam went through Lisa's address book and cell phone contacts to let people know what had happened and about the funeral arrangements. Jim called Mark, who was very upset by the news. They spent most of the day trying to stay positive and focusing on Nate, but he mostly slept, aside from feedings and diaper changes. Pam assured Jim it was normal, she had spent the first few days her niece was home from the hospital at her mom's house and visiting her sister. "Sorry to say, they don't get to be too much fun for a little while."

"Well, if he sticks with me, I'll have him pranking Dwight in no time."

After Jim said that he realized he hadn't called Michael yet to say his vacation days needed to start this week. Pam assured him she would handle Michael and anything to do with work. The phone rang and Jim rushed to the phone before it woke up Nate. He told Pam, his sister Liz, his brother Jon and his wife were all going to be dropping by soon, so she decided to let him have the time with his family and said she would see him tomorrow. Though she felt welcomed by his parents she still felt like somewhat of an outsider when they were around yesterday. He wanted to beg her to stay but didn't want her to think he was dependent on her, though he absolutely felt like he was. She kissed him softly goodbye at the door and slipped out of his embrace reluctantly. "Call me later if you want, and if you need me I can be here in 10 minutes if I have to."

"Thanks ag-" Pam placed her hand over his mouth to silence him.

"If you thank me one more time, I'm going to stop kissing you when I’m here."

Jim smiled and nodded then pressed a kiss to her fingers. She gave him one last peck before she was out the door. As she looked in her rear view mirror she noticed a tall man and a slightly shorter woman climb out of an SUV in the spot she had just vacated. She hadn't met them yet but was sure they were Jim's brother and sister in law. She was glad he wouldn't be there alone he was doing surprisingly well, but she knew he hadn't really processed much yet. There was so much change going on and Pam was really worried about him. She knew he would need her now more than ever, and she was okay with that, she needed him too and they could handle this.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Chapter 7 by iwantphillyjim
Author's Notes:
It's been a while, sorry for those of you who are enjoying this story. Hope you like this chapter. I revised it like 4 times, but I am liking it.

And of course, I own nothing.
Jim heard the doorbell just after Pam left and he thought maybe she came back for one last kiss; he swung the door open, only to reveal his brother Jonathan and his sister-in-law, Gina. He felt guilty for his small disappointment that it wasn’t her. His younger sister Liz was there within minutes of his brother. Once everyone was done with the hugs and the condolences, they all sat around taking turns holding the baby and making a fuss.

“So…how’re you doing?” Gina asked with a hand on his arm.

“Okay... I’m kind freaked out a bit or, in shock?...I don’t know, but I feel okay, just a bit…it’s hard to believe.”

He changed the subject to the football game that was coming on soon, understanding; she nodded sympathetically and then they all tried to keep the conversation light for a while. The baby was more the topic of the room for some time, at one point he took a nap and they all chatted about nonsense and Christmas plans. When the baby was awake again they were fussing over him some more, Jim didn’t mind, he was crazy about his new son and apparently so was everyone else. Suddenly his younger sister started with the “real talk”.

“You know Jim, maybe I can stay here with you for a while, until you get used to things. With the baby, you know… I’ve got a month off, and I don’t mind, really.”

Jim looked at his younger sister a little surprised, she was a college girl that loved to party.

“Look, I’m trying really hard, and I think so far I’m doing okay. I…uh…I’ll think about it.”

“Jim, what’s there to think about, mom and dad aren’t that close and neither are we, it took me 35 minutes to get here…what if something happens? You’re all alone with a new baby, and you have a job… what will you do with Nate?

“Liz, just let up.” Jonathan cut in.

“What? I mean, I’m just his aunt but, better than nothing, babies need a mother.” Liz was never one for tact.

“Liz!” Jonathan looked scandalized at his sister’s words.

Jim was getting more uncomfortable by the minute and now he looked either really angry or sad it was hard to tell. Gina felt bad, so she interrupted, it was getting close to dinner anyway.

“Hey Lizzy, let’s go to the store and get some food, we can make dinner, okay?”

“Okay, I guess.” She handed the baby over to Jim and followed Gina to the door.

“Need anything for the baby Jim?” Gina asked as she grabbed her keys.

He just shook his head while looking down at his son with a sad smile on his face thinking of his sister’s words. He knew Nate should have a mother, but he couldn’t help that right now. The alone part really stung though, because he truly was scared of that the most. Everything was so uncertain and scary, but he wanted to do this, become a good father. Then he’d remember what Pam told him, “We’re in this together.” Thinking of her and the words he knew she meant, he relaxed somewhat. He was really glad Jonathan was there, they hadn’t really talked in a while.

“I’m not alone you know…I have Pam.”

Jonathan’s ears perked up at the mention of Pam, he knew all about Jim’s feelings and the 6 months after casino night. What he didn’t know, was that she was now Jim’s very supportive and understanding new girlfriend. With all that had been going on, Jim and he hadn’t really caught up much.

“Pam? Like…the Pam?” Jonathan asked, slightly confused.

“Yeah” Jim didn’t even try to hide the smile and now Jonathan was really confused.

“Wait, I thought you were with that Karen girl, and you weren’t really talking to Pam too much.” Looking down Jim realized that Nate had fallen back to sleep.

“Hang on man, the baby’s asleep” Jim went and put him in his cradle. He continued on when he got back to the living room.

“Things change Jon….we’ve been talking and hanging out a lot lately, and we’re…well, we’re like, dating now.”

“What?... She does know you’ve just had a baby with someone else right?” Jim sighed, not wanting to really go too deep into all of this, he hadn’t thought about it too much himself honestly, there was just so much going on, he didn’t have time to think about it.

“Look….she knows everything, I told her before I even told mom and dad. She’s been amazing with all of this.”

“And she didn’t break up with you when you said you had a baby on the way?”

Jim was getting annoyed, but he figured talking about Pam was better than inwardly dwelling on how fucked up everything else was right now. He let out another sigh and started to tell the whole story.

“Okay, I was with Karen…kind of; we just had a few dates though. When I found out about the baby, Karen dumped me, no support at all.”

“Ouch, that kind of sucks.”

“It was fine, whatever, but I was freaked out at the time, you know I could have used the help or support. Karen was really cool at first. But I wasn’t surprised she wanted to break up. Anyway, Pam’s been my best friend for years now, that night Karen and I broke up or whatever… I called her up and she was so great, she came over and we talked and said she’d be here for me.”

“That’s cool, considering you had barely been speaking, right?”

“Yeah, I mean, after May… well, you know…I thought she just didn’t care as much.”

“And the dating?”

“Right, well, we started hanging out a lot after I told her; she really helped keep me from climbing the walls, saying the right thing and just trying to keep things normal. She just, she’s always been a great friend; I don’t know why I was so surprised. Pam was even like, kind of friends with Lisa, like almost immediately; and then, she and Lisa were talking the day she moved in here about stuff, I don’t know. Lisa realized Pam seemed interested and told me. I wasn’t totally sure, I mean, she was flirty sometimes, but not overly flirty… Lisa told me to go for it; so I asked Pam to dinner and we’ve gone out a few times since then. It’s been great really.”

“That’s awesome, what about the baby though? Pam’s okay with everything, even now, with Lisa gone? It really kind of changes things doesn’t it?”

“Like I said man, Pam is amazing; she went to the hospital with Lisa when she was in labor, stayed there with me after…. the whole time I was there she was too. Since the hospital, she’s been here with me and Nate. She only went home for a few hours yesterday and then just left before you guys got here, thought I’d like some time with you all.”

“Wow that’s really cool, that she’d just like be here for all that.”

“I know, I mean…that’s just who Pam is, she said we’d do this together. She wants to be here, I mean…it’s only been a few weeks, and we’re taking it slow…but it’s good and like I said, she is just…really great. I just hope it all works out”

“Well man, me too, good for you.”

“I don’t know what exactly will happen now…like, you’re right, it is a different situation with Lisa gone. And Liz is right, I mean, eventually he will need a mother, I hope Pam doesn’t think I expect that from her so early on and like decide she can’t do it.”

“Yeah well, have you talked to her about it?” Jim looked at his brother like he had two noses.

“Oh yeah, hey Pam I know we haven’t even had sex but would you mother my child? That one would go over well.”

“You haven’t? I thought you said she stayed over.”

“We just slept, it was nice, but no sex…I’m not really worried about that right now anyway, you know?”

“Good point…well, for the record you seem to be taking all of this really well.” Jim nodded thinking if he should say what he wanted to, then he realized that John wouldn’t judge him too harshly, if at all.

“I kind of guilty actually, I’m sad about Lisa dying but I think I’m more upset about being a father on my own now, or scared…I don’t know, I’m horrible right?”

“No, you’re not horrible Jim, obviously you cared about her, she was your friend but…life goes on man, and you’re right, and you being a father now is the most important thing, Lisa isn’t coming back so…”

“Yeah” he sighed, his brother was right, it still didn’t make things any easier though.

“Man we’re all after school special over here.” That put a slight smile on Jim’s face. There were still so many things running through his mind.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a short time until Nate cried out from the bedroom, Jim took care of him, he just needed a diaper change, then he quickly fell back to sleep. Jon put on the Eagles game and the brothers watched the kick off, somewhat happy or maybe just relieved for the distraction, Jim really kind of felt numb, so many thoughts at once going through his mind; he couldn’t concentrate on one so he kind of ignored them all.

When the girls got back they made spaghetti and chicken parmesan for dinner. The baby woke up again so Jim made a bottle and fed him while the others were still eating. Gina finished her food and offered to take over, Jim declined though, reminding her that he had to get used to things anyhow. He finished his dinner after the baby was done his bottle. His spaghetti just needed to go in the microwave for a minute.

Before leaving, Liz had convinced him that she’d be a great babysitter once he went back to work and also she would watch Nate for the funeral on Tuesday. She hadn’t met Lisa so she wouldn’t really need to be there, and Jim felt it would be best, not bring an infant to a funeral. He was glad he could count on his family for support; even if he was somewhat reluctant to take much help. He just felt that he had to be a man, and take care of his son without everybody butting in.

Once the three left, Nate was awake again; Jim changed him and was feeding him on the couch, with the post game show on TV at low volume. While burping him, Nate spit up, and needed a change of pajamas. When he was changing him, Jim realized he hadn’t bathed him yet, he knew the baby didn’t need a bath everyday according to the nurses, but he hadn’t had one since the first night in the hospital.

“Shouldn’t be too hard” he thought to himself.

Jim set him in his cradle with a pacifier and went into Lisa’s room, now just Nate’s room he sadly remembered. He paused in his search for a minute and felt sad looking to where Lisa had a baby book on her night table and her robe was lying across the top of the bed. Jim realized he would have to go through her things and figure out what to keep for their son and what to give away.

He snapped back to it and started looking for the baby shampoo and soap. He spotted what he had been looking for, there was a basket on the changing table with a small rubber ducky peeking out over the top he pulled it back, and there were wash cloths, lotion, powder, shampoo, and baby bath. He didn’t have this many bath products.

The towels were folded in a nice pile next to that, he grabbed a towel and threw it over his shoulder; he grabbed the basket and walked into the bathroom. Looking down, he wasn’t sure it would be a good idea to bath the baby in that big tub. Then he remembered Hannah from Stamford showing him that picture of her husband in the tub with her baby for his first bath. That’s when he realized that he’d never actually bathed an infant before, or any child for that matter. He felt a slight panic and then chided himself, Get a grip Jim, you have to do it so, suck it up.

Jim shook his head to try and clear his mind, as if that would work. Then he remembered that some people bath infants in the sink, his mom had plenty of pictures of him as a newborn in the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink was empty, but looking at it, he didn’t feel comfortable. He set the basket down and went down the hall; Nate was just looking up sucking on his pacifier without a care in the world.

“Hey there little man doing okay?…Your dad here isn’t doing so great, I’m trying to figure out how to give you a bath.” The baby made a face at him.

“I know…I guess I should probably get some advice huh?” Jim went to grab his phone, not sure yet who he should call at first. He could do this, he could bath his son, he just needed some advice, helpful tips. He thought about calling his mom, but he didn’t want to call for help like he was a kid, he was the parent now. He was also afraid she would insist on moving in with him until he knew everything he needed to know. He definitely didn’t need that.

After not much internal debate, he decided to call Pam; she would know what to do and wouldn’t get all dramatic on him. And bonus, he could tell her that he was scared without worry. She would say “I know” or something brilliant and just help him through it, maybe even make a joke to relax him and let him know it was okay to feel that way.



Pam wanted to turn around and go back to Jim’s at least 4 times in the fifteen minutes it took her to get home. She already missed the both of them; and she knew she was in trouble. If she had a hard time falling asleep on the couch in the same apartment as the two of them, now being at home without them near what would she do? She had been around Jim so much in the last few weeks, she was really getting used to it, and now with the baby too, she just wanted to be near them, take care of them. She actually couldn’t stop thinking about the two of them, Jim, so scared, but trying his best to be a good father. And Nate, the little baby had already captured her heart, much like his father. This might be harder than she thought.

When she finally got home she realized that her mail was piled up inside on the table and her hamper was overflowing slightly, she sighed and got started, actually thankful for the distraction. She ran her dishwasher, finished her laundry and even finished an assignment for class before she started thinking about them again. That’s when she went to the grocery store to pick up her items for lunch for the week.

When she was grabbing dish detergent she noticed the second half of the aisle had baby items. She glanced around at everything and her eyes rested on a little pirate rubber duck that tested the water temperature, she thought that was really clever and just grabbed it without pause. She wasn’t sure if he already had one or not, but it couldn’t hurt either way right?

While she was in line to pay for her items she overheard the two girls in front of her talking, “I mean it’s just so sad and he seriously needs help with that baby. I don’t know why he would have to think about me helping him.”

“Look, he just probably wants to figure things out on his own or something, this is all new to him. And he’s an independent kind of guy.”

“I get that but, I think he should have someone there, a woman for the baby at least...he does need a mother. I guess I’m just worried about him is all; living his regular life not two months ago, and now this.”

Pam felt uncomfortable; she was almost ninety five percent positive that they were talking about Jim, this must be his sister and sister in law she thought.

“Look Liz…just talk to him about it later and see what he says, he’s not an idiot, if he needs help, he’ll ask. Be a little nicer, you know… keep that foot out of your mouth.”

“I was just stating the truth…maybe I’ll call mom, she can tell him to let me stay and help him.”

“Just talk to him first, he’s a grown up now…you can’t tattle on him for wanting to try and be a father without your help.”

“It wouldn’t be tattling.”

“Oh no?”

“No”

“Look Liz; we’ll help Jim if he needs it. Okay? You know he’ll ask if he does.”

Yep, definitely talking about Jim

“I guess, but I will be the babysitter at least, until he can find like a nanny or something or I go back to class.”

“That would be nice.”

They had finished the conversation and were bagging their items, Pam noticed the one named Liz turned toward her to grab a magazine; she started glancing around and looking at the candy so they hopefully wouldn’t notice she was listening to their conversation.

Pam was back to thinking about Jim and Nate, knowing that Liz was right, babies do need a mother, could she be a mother? Would Jim want her to be Nate’s? Is that what he wanted? Now that was all she could think about. She also couldn’t help but notice that Jim seemed reluctant for their help, but with Pam he barely protested, he let her help, she smiled at that.

When she got home from the store she called her mom, put away her groceries, had dinner and packed her lunch for work the next day. Finally having run out of things to occupy herself from her brain she needed to just unwind.

Pam took a bath to relax, when she was done, she straightened her hair. It would be easier now than in the morning, she’s sure that she’ll have problems falling asleep tonight so the extra time in the morning will be a good thing. She would only have to work with the curling iron before going to the office.

After her hair was done, and she was cozy in her pajamas, she curled up on the couch with some hot tea and a Simpsons episode. Her phone rang not much later,

“Hello?”

“Uh...hey, it’s me.”

“Hi” Jim could hear the smile in her voice. “Everything okay over there?”

“Yeah…kind of…um…Question”

“Oh, a Dwight approach… what facts do you need?” she was glad he called.

“I am terrified of the bath.”

“So that’s what that smell was…and not really a question.”

He actually laughed out loud. “Um no you’re right, but actually that smell was your feet.”

“Please, my feet smell good, I actually just took a bath. So I’m an expert right now.”

Jim had a mental image now in his head that surprised him, earlier he’d told his brother he wasn’t worried about sex, but he suddenly was, or at least a naked Pam in the bath. He had to shake that out of his head, this was not the time.

“Well, then you are exactly who I needed to call. I am terrified to bath my son, which is what I meant to say.”

“Oh, do you want me to come over?”

“No, that’s okay, just…I’m kind of scared and needed some advice, the bath tub is too big and cold, the kitchen sink just...I don’t like it, he’s not a Turkey you know?...I don’t wanna wash him in there. And then how do I know the waters not too hot or cold…I just…”

Pam chuckled at the image of a turkey in a sink with that rubber duck she bought and some baby shampoo. “I’m coming over…I actually bought Nate a little something for the bathtub, and I think it’ll come in handy.”

“But, you have work and all, I don’t want-”

“Ten minutes, I just have to put on a sweatshirt and some sneakers, I’m in my jammies.”

“Pam I-”

“See ya in ten.” With that she hung up, she put on a sweatshirt over her tank top and slid into her sneakers, grabbed the duck from the table and slipped on her coat. She was out the door in less than a minute and on the way to Jim’s. He looked so relieved when he answered the door holding Nate in his arms and rocking him gently.

“Come on, it’s cold out there.”

She was bundled up and bouncing on her toes, her hood covering half her face.

“My heat didn’t even warm up until I was around the corner, I’m freezing.”

“I told you that you didn’t have to come over.”

“And miss my new best bud’s first bath, come on! Look what I brought him.” She pulled out the duck and explained how the hot and cold sticker works.

“That’s awesome…so how do we do this anyway?”

Pam remembered that Lisa mentioned buying a baby bathtub. She pulled back her hood and Jim noticed her hair was straight, but most of it was stuck in the shirt. She took her coat off and headed into the baby’s room, pulling her hair out of her shirt as she walked through the doorway.

“Well, I’m sure there‘s a baby bath tub around here somewhere.”

“Oh, um…I didn’t see one.” He honestly didn’t think about that, a baby tub…

Jim was following her with the baby, now mesmerized by how long and sleek her hair was when it was straight. He loved her curls but this was kind of sexy. There he goes again; he shook his head at himself. Stop it He walked back to the living room to try and get a grip.

“Okay, I’ll check in here.” She didn’t notice his inner turmoil.

Pam searched through the baby items in Lisa’s room and didn’t find it, and then she looked in the closet, bingo. She brought it out to the kitchen.

“Here we go, found it in the closet”

“I’m sorry”

“Stop! No more sorry’s or thank you’s. Those are the rules Halpert. And there’s nothing to be sorry for.”

“Alright…So where should we bath him?”

“Right here on the table, he might not be a turkey, but it’s better than the tiny bathroom, not big enough for 2 and the baby.”

Pam pulled her sleeves back, and filled the tub with about three inches of warm water she tested it with her hands but they tested it with the duck too. Jim thought that was so cool. She laid out the large bath sponge and undressed Nate on there, once she had his diaper off she lowered him into the tub. She held his head above the water and instructed Jim on how to help. He gave her a wash cloth with some soap on it and she started with his belly being careful of his chord, his chest area, she quickly moved on to his arms and legs, under his chin. Jim was amazed at how well she was doing, like she’d done this a hundred times.

“How do you know what to do?”

“Watched my sister” The baby was starting to squirm a bit, “Almost done big guy.”

She spoke to him in a way that seemed to calm Jim, like he was the baby. “Jim, get some shampoo, and a cup.” He grabbed the items and proceeded to rinse the baby’s hair using the cup, he rubbed some shampoo into his hair with Pam’s guidance and then he rinsed his hair. Nate had started to cry as he was rinsing his hair. Once he finished the rinsing, the baby stopped crying.

Pam was now rinsing the soap from his body when Jim realized he should take a picture of his son’s first bath. He ran for his camera, when he got back into the kitchen he snapped a few pictures, Pam was laughing, in the last one, “He peed on me!”

Jim started laughing too. He grabbed the towel and Pam handed the baby over to him and helped wrap the towel around him. She pulled off her sweatshirt revealing a simple tank top paired with her flannel pants. Her straight hair falling on her shoulders, she looked like an angel. Come on!

He walked into the bedroom with the small bundle as Pam followed him still laughing. She brought in the camera and snapped a few pictures of Jim putting on lotion and powder, then dressing him.

“At least he doesn’t need this every night, with the winter and already sensitive skin.”

“True and I don’t think I need a nightly golden shower like you got.”

“I can’t believe he peed on me!” She was shaking her head.

“He really likes you Pam, what can I say.”

Once he was fully dressed Pam wrapped him in a blanket and held him while Jim went and made a bottle, Nate looked very content. She slipped out of her sneakers and sat on the couch. She fed Nate until he fell asleep, he burped for her on the last try and she took him to his cradle. Jim followed her into his room and grabbed a sweatshirt out of his closet for her while she settled Nate in for the night. She looked down at him with a smile on her lips and love in her eyes.

Jim really loved seeing her with Nate, she really looked like she loved him and was happy to be there. He realized that maybe they would be fine dating and her helping him with the baby. She clearly cared for him.

Pam was so happy when he called and now here she was putting Nate to bed a second night in a row, and even though this wasn’t her son, she loved him.

She walked back into the living room with Jim. It was almost ten and she had work the next morning, he gave her the sweatshirt.

“Here, it’s too cold out, I’ll wash yours, just leave it.”

“Thanks” she took the shirt but didn’t put it on yet; she didn’t feel cold at the moment.

“I thought there were no ‘thanks’ Beesly.”

“You can’t say it. I can.”

“Ah ha…” She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his waist, tilting her face up to look at him.

“I’m glad you called”

“Me too” he whispered as he leaned in to kiss her, his hands on her neck, then he pushed them back into her hair. Pam loved the feeling and she sighed into the kiss. Jim pulled back and looked in her eyes.

“You look beautiful, by the way.”

“Thanks” she said it with a smile on her face and then she kissed him.

“So wait… if I say thanks there’s no more kissing, but if you say it?”

“Then there is kissing.”

“Right… well, I like your, jammies.” he was grinning deliciously at her, his hands now rubbing her bare shoulders. She knew he’d tease her for that word.

“Thanks” she smiled and he leaned down to kiss her again.

“And your socks” he mumbled against her lips.

“Thanks” Kiss

“And your hair”

“Thanks” Kiss

Jim’s watch beeped not long after, it was ten o’clock now, and she had to be up in 9 hours. Sure she would rather stay here with Jim, but after knowing that he and the baby were okay for now, she thought she’d probably be able to get some sleep. She kissed him one more time and then headed out.

It only took her ten minutes to get home, she sent Jim a text to say goodnight again. She was actually able to fall asleep, she was very tired, and it was a long day. She did miss Jim and Nate, but she was just there and she would see them again tomorrow after work, plus she was still wearing Jim’s sweatshirt, which smelled just like him. His smell surrounding her really helped.

Jim was able to fall asleep but it took him a while, he wished she was here in bed with him, he definitely felt better when she was there. He got her text that she was safe at home and he would see her tomorrow. He was glad that she came over, even though he protested at first, she actually put him at ease, again. Despite all the things he still had to face, she was there. He thought about her some more as he used the pillow she had used the night before, it smelled like her. He breathed in Pam and listened to the soft sound of his son’s breathing as he finally drifted off for the night.
End Notes:
Hope the end there wasn't too cheesy. Gotta have some fluff.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3525