Up the Ladder to the Roof by untherapy
Summary: SO, this is me sticking my neck out there on my own story, rather than just enjoying all of yours! Let me know what you think ;-) There have been far too few proposal stories that fit the way I want it to happen! Spoilers up to Chair Model
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Episode Related, Alternate Universe Characters: Dwight, Jim, Jim/Pam, Pam
Genres: Fluff, Humor, Romance, Workdays
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 3779 Read: 10328 Published: June 06, 2008 Updated: June 11, 2008
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Motion by untherapy

2. Action by untherapy

3. Preparation by untherapy

4. Heaven by untherapy

Motion by untherapy
Author's Notes:
Just a little set-up ;-) Thoughts, memories, and emphases are in italics. Quotes from Chair Model.
Jim slowly drifted awake Sunday morning when the sun hit him in the face, and rolled over, reaching toward the other side of the bed, where Pam was supposed to be. He grunted, annoyed, when his hands found nothing but sheets.


This is getting ridiculous…


Pam was away with her family for the weekend to celebrate her parent’s 30th anniversary, and he missed her. One night alone, and he already couldn’t handle waking up without her. I’m pathetic, he thought, it’s not like I have any reason to feel left out. Her brother-in-law didn’t get invited, and he’s actually married to one of them…


They’d only been dating for about eleven months, but he felt a little more restless with the relationship every day. For so many years he had been sitting still – saying nothing, doing nothing, pursuing nothing – always looking ahead to when (he hoped) she would be his. It never occurred to him to think past that point, and he grimaced as he realized he was basically doing the same thing all over again, waiting on nothing, idling away precious time together.


He had the ring – sitting hidden in his messenger bag, his desk at work, his dresser drawer. He’d started carrying it around with him about two weeks ago, just to have it there, reminding him. Sure, they’d taken a big leap last May, finally becoming “Jim and Pam”, but since then he had to admit that things had become pretty routine. Good, amazing even, but routine. They twiddled their thumbs most of the day at work, then came home (dutifully switching off which apartment was “home”) and twiddled their thumbs some more, joking with each other, watching TV, making love. There’s plenty of love here, he thought as he pulled his pants on and felt the ring box he had left in the pocket bounce against his leg, just not a whole lot of motion.


He pulled the box out, popped it open, and looked up at himself in the mirror. Screw waiting, it’s time to get this train rolling.


-------------------------------------------



She called him later that night to say she was home and was going to fall into bed after doing laundry. He gritted his teeth at the idea of another night without her.


This is what adults do – they do their laundry. Leave it alone, Halpert. Maybe you should do YOUR laundry, huh?


He trudged around his apartment, gathering up the random articles of clothing that had found their way into every nook and cranny, many of them hastily discarded in heated moments with Pam and never picked up. He couldn't even clearly remember the nights that had landed a sock in the entertainment center, or a t-shirt above the fridge. He reached around under the bed and grinned as he pulled out a deep turquoise camisole that he definitely remembered. It was one of those with a built in bra, and the blue-green fabric below her red curls had made Pam absolutely sparkle the night that shirt had ended up under the bed.


He brought the soft material up to his face, breathing in Pam, and remembered what had come just before that playful night at his apartment.


“I haven’t proposed to you yet?! Well,…that’s coming”


“It’s gonna kick your ass Beesly, so….stay sharp”


Way to go, Jim
, he had thought on the way back to his desk, NOW she’s not expecting it or anything…


His phone rang, making him jump. He dropped the camisole and grabbed the phone just before it vibrated right off the edge of the dresser. It was Pam.


“Hey! I thought you were busy with the laundry”


“I was. Now I’m bored.”


He laughed to himself – she had a long-standing habit of talking to him when she was bored.


“Oh, well thanks for calling Beesly . . . but I don't really have time for this - I have my own clothes to wash over here.”


“Suck it Halpert. I guess I just missed you this weekend . . . or something”, she teased.


“Well that’s too bad, cuz I had a great weekend without you. In fact, I really think we should take a break.”


“Sounds good”, she sighed, “Dwight’s been calling me all weekend, so maybe I’ll give that a try . . .”


“Perfect!! But hey, can you bring him to your place if you go out next weekend? Angela and I really have our eye on the Irrigation Room, and it could be a little crowded if . . .”


“Not a chance!!”, she interrupted, laughing, “so ANYWAY, after I get those horrible images out of my hea . . . why don’t we make up for this weekend with dinner on the roof tomorrow night? I could use a little of Jim Halpert’s famous grilled cheese”


“I don’t know Bees . . . I mean, that grilled cheese is for special occasions only, and I’m not sure two nights apart really qualifies.”


He loved the sound of her giggles floating over the phone line, and quickly added, “but seriously, that sounds great. So I’ll see you tomorrow morning?”


“Absolutely. Don’t stay up all night thinking about me Halpert”


“Oh no worries”, he laughed, “Goodnight Pam.”


“Night Jim.”
End Notes:
Beer me! More soon I hope :P Please let me know what you think
Action by untherapy
Author's Notes:
Jim goes late night shopping. Spoilers for The Client, The Injury, and the cheese content of their sanwiches...
Jim gingerly flipped his phone shut, tapping it slowly against his mouth as he tried to sort through the million thoughts that had suddenly rushed into his head.


Grilled cheese on the roof. OK, first things first, I need to get some Singles…


He opened the phone again and looked at the time. 10:14. Wal-Mart it is then. Pocketing the phone, he grabbed his keys, and sprang into action.


-----------------------------------------------------------



He pushed a cart around the local 24-hr Super Wal-Mart, with a lonely packet of Kraft American Singles (best grilled-cheese cheese in America!) and a new loaf of bread its only occupants. On a whim, he added a bottle of white merlot from a center display. Nothing goes better with grilled cheese, he thought, smiling to himself. No reason not to be romantic, now that it’s a real date…


As he wheeled his way towards the check-outs he passed an aisle he’d never given a second thought in the past. Tonight, however, it grabbed his attention, and made the gears in his head start clicking a little faster as his cart rolled to a halt.


-----------------------------------------------------------



$300 later some of the Wal-Mart shelves were empty, but his trunk was full and he couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off his face. He practically skipped into his apartment, stuffing the wine and cheese into the fridge, and writing himself a big note (“GET THE STUFF”, in black sharpie) so that he didn’t leave them there in the morning.


He hummed to himself as he dug his Foreman grill out of a cabinet, where he had hidden it after Michael’s “incident”. I DO NOT need the kitchen appliance that Michael ends up cooking his foot on, he remembered thinking, and giggled, actually giggled!, when he thought of how hard Pam would laugh as he told her about hiding the grill. He added it to the stash in his car for their date, and went back inside, still grinning like a maniac.


-----------------------------------------------------------



It was a little easier looking at himself in the mirror as he got undressed for bed. A few weeks ago the nagging voice in the back of his mind was quick to throw out labels for the face he saw in the glass: practically 30, still at the “temporary” job you say you hate, not following your dreams, not even sure what they are, too scared to propose to the girl you’ve loved for years…


Tonight, however, he could dismiss those thoughts and smile at himself. I’m proposing to Pam, finally. And I’ll post a resume tomorrow! So suck on that, reflection! But his reflection smiled back at him, rooting for him instead of getting offended, so he carefully slipped the ring box into the inside pocket of his messenger bag (after taking one last peek) and climbed into bed.
End Notes:
Next up: A Day at Work, Colon: What Did Jim Buy? A Jim Halpert story. By Untherapy. With Dwight Schrute.
Preparation by untherapy
Author's Notes:
One step closer! Thanks everyone who's been reading and reviewing :)

Definitely don't own anything!
His stupid leg just wouldn’t hold still – all morning, bouncing up and down, earning him several irritated sighs from Dwight and more than one raised eyebrow from Pam. Perfect, just perfect. Calm down, Halpert, you can do this…it’s just grilled cheese.


And the rest of my life!, he reminded himself with a smirk, and headed to the vending machines for something to distract him from the wonderful, twisty feeling settling in his gut.


He got a bag on Sun Chips on a whim, and tried to hide the grin threatening to burst across his face, and give away his game. Time to throw her off the scent, he whispered to the hint of a reflection in the door window.


-----------------------------------------------------------



“So, are you winning?”, he asked, arms crossed on her counter, long frame leaning over so look at her computer screen. He dropped the bag of chips into her lap, forcing her eyes away from the screen.


“Hi!”, she grinned, “long time stranger.”


“I know, I haven’t been up here in about twenty minutes!”


“I really missed you Jim, really”, she whispered, sarcasm in her voice, and complete sincerity in her eyes. He just stared at her, taking her in, and gulped a little before he could reply,


“I missed you too.” She smiled, and then looked away to open her chips, popping one in her mouth to a satisfied crunch as he tapped the counter and walked back over to his desk. Sitting down, he immediately opened a new email and began to type.


Pam won her solitaire game, and then noticed the mini post-it note on the back of the bag:


“Lunch? You, me, and a prank on Dwight.” She stifled a giggle, and gazed lovingly at his profile while she pulled up her email.


-----------------------------------------------------------



Fifteen minutes later he had moved his car to the far end of the parking lot, and was pacing nervously between the car and the hedges, stealing anxious looks back towards the building. Finally, he heard a voice behind him.


“Jim, what’s going on?”


He sighed loudly, his shoulders rising and falling dramatically with his breath, and turned around every so slowly to face the person now perched delicately on the back of his car.


“Damnit Jim, I do not have time to play around in the parking lot with you today! You said this was a matter of urgency! Are we going on a sales call?”


“SSSHHHhhh, Dwight!” Jim yelled, grabbing him by the arm and yanking him down so they were crouched on the pavement beside the car, completely hidden from the building. He shot one last look behind him before turning and whispering, “I need to be assured of your absolute secrecy, Dwight. Do you understand?”


“Yes, whatever it is you can tell me. I believe you!”, Dwight whispered, excitement turning the clock back thirty years on his face.


“The sales call has been postponed – we have must more important matters to attend to. What I’m about to tell you is extremely sensitive, possibly the most sensitive information I’ve ever entrusted to another person.”


“What is it!”, Dwight asked much too loudly. He caught himself and peeked guiltily over the car.


“We need to form….an alliance.” (beat) “Will you form a secret alliance with me?”


“YES!” Dwight’s eyes were huge from the anticipation, “what is the mission?”


“Out target…..is Pam.”


“Pam? Why Pam?”, he looked confused.


“That’s too sensitive. You’re going to have to trust me Dwight. Here’s the plan:”


-----------------------------------------------------------



“All RIGHT!”, said Dwight enthusiastically, grinning widely. Jim held up his hand for the high five and surreptitiously unlocked his trunk, pulling Dwight over to help him shield its contents from the office windows, just in case.


“Ok, here are your supplies – and now I have to ask: can handle this?”


“Jim,” replied Dwight, from approximately two inches in front of Jim’s face, “You’ve come to the right man. Not only can I handle this mission, but I can complete it with skill and veracity you can only dream about.”


“Good to know, Dwight….good to know.”


They strode confidently back into the office, greeted Pam, and sat down to finish up the paperwork from their very successful sales call.


-----------------------------------------------------------



If Jim had thought he was nervous before, his body went into anxiety overload when Dwight left after lunch for his “afternoon of sales calls”. They lowered Dwight’s chair all the way down when he left, and Pam barely managed to hide her laughter as Jim deftly removed and hid the adjustment lever. He felt a tiny ping of guilt at pranking Dwight today, of all days, but brushed it off. It’s all about distracting Pam, right? Right. Fortunately, Michael was in masterful form, and she had more than enough to deal with between the phones and being called into his office every ten minutes.


Just a few more hours, he thought, breathing deeply and trying to relax. He made it to 4:56 with only three bathroom breaks and two grape sodas, and decided it was time. He flicked off his computer and walked over to Pam. “So, you ready for a gourmet culinary experience, Beesly?”


“Bring it on, Halpert. I’ve been ready for your grilled cheese all weekend”, she said, smirking and beginning to tidy up her desk.


“Well you’re in luck – I’ve gone all out for you tonight. I brought my FORMAN GRILL, Pam, and Kraft Singles. A genuine cheese food. You’ve never been wined and dined like this in your life.”


“Wait, you’re making our sandwiches on a Foreman grill? Why are you bringing Michael memories into our happy place, Jim, why?”


“Pam, sometimes you just have to move past things, ok? And if it’s any comfort, I have kept that grill carefully hidden ever since the foot-cooking, and I just pulled it out again so that you could have the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich”


Yup, I guessed it!, he thought as her song-like giggles filled the space between them. “Ok,” she said, “but only this once. After tonight I veto all Foreman grill cooking.”


“Deal. Ok, so you wait here while I cook, and meet me on the roof in like 15 minutes?”


“Perfect, just enough time to do these faxes.”


He grinned at her, caught her shoulder over her desk as she turned to the fax machine, and planted a soft kiss on her lips. “I love you Pam”.


He climbed up the ladder to the roof, and smiled for the millionth time that day, mentally congratulating Dwight. Perfect.
End Notes:
Faked you out didn't I! You have to wait one more chapter to see everything that was in the trunk ;-) Just one more - short and sweet.
Heaven by untherapy
Author's Notes:
Alright here we go! I really love sweet!Dwight, and I can't help but think that after "Money", he'd help Jim sweep Pam off her feet ;-) So that's where he's coming from here. Also, I started this right after Chair Model aired, in case anyone was confused...Enjoy!

Jim walked slowly through what now resembled a maze on the rooftop, extremely pleased with how beautiful his plan looked in action. Their lawn chairs were set up in the center of the roof, just like always, and his foreman grill sat on a stack of boxes off to the side. He saw his ipod speakers next to the grill, and Dwight trying (and failing) to hide the big orange extension cord anchoring both appliances to the roof.

“Don’t worry about that, man”, offered Jim, trying to keep to the tears out his eyes. “You really outdid yourself today, Dwight.”

Dwight turned around to face Jim, and said quietly, “I know.” He was obviously just as affected as Jim by the emotion of what they had created for Pam. “It was an honor to be a part of this, Jim.”

Both men stood there blinking rapidly at each other for a few seconds, before Jim stepped forward and grabbed Dwight in a hug. They slapped each others backs a few more times than strictly necessary, and stepped apart, each turning to press the heels of their palms against their eyes.

“Well, I think I should…before Pam….”, said Dwight, pointing to the stairs.

“Yeah, right….And thanks, man, seriously.”

“Good luck Jim”, he whispered, as he disappeared over the side of the building.

Jim pulled his ipod out of his pocket, set it in the speakers, and began to lay out bread and cheese on the grill. He knew Pam would be coming up any minute, and as he checked that the ring was safely in his breast pocket his heart started pumping faster than he had ever thought possible.

Dwight jumped down safely to the parking lot (the bottom steps are not for the likes of Dwight K. Schrute), and walked over to his car, sincerely happy for Jim, and extremely proud of his accomplishments that day. Although I will have to seriously apply myself tomorrow to make up for this loss of sales time, he thought, but maybe now Jim will be a little less of a wise-ass…

Just then he saw the note stuck in his windshield, and erased that thought has he cursed Jim and drove away.

“Had to distract Pam: chair lever is Andy’s desk drawer. Good luck.

P.S. Sorry, drawer’s locked.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pam tried to wait patiently as the fax machine fed through each page, sending off information that seemed completely unimportant compared to her date with Jim. She’d tried not to dwell on it during her weekend with her parents, but she had missed him a lot while she was gone. And now we finally get to replay our first date!

She grabbed her purse and headed outside to the ladder, glancing up towards the roof. What is that? Is he playing music? She smiled, thinking about how Jim hummed as he ran, while he showered, and as he paced around his kitchen in the morning waiting for the coffee. She had never told him about it, but on the drive back from Dwight’s beet farm she had come across a “Pam” playlist as she scrolled through the songs on his ipod. I bet that’s what he’s up there listening to, she thought, as the rooftop came into her sightline and her heart stopped.

The roof was awash with color. Dunder Mifflin Neon Brights copy paper was strewn everywhere in sight, and each swatch of green, blue, orange, purple, yellow, and pink was lit up by a candle, protected from the wind by a glass jar. The hundreds of tiny flames danced with the breeze, reflecting off the paper and making the roof seem to glow. It's just like a watercolor, she thought.

And there, in the center of the roof, back to her, was Jim. He was swaying the tiniest bit to the music (“Sleeping to dream about you, and I’m so damn tired of having to live without you”) and humming as he flipped their sandwiches.

“I brought the sodas,” she whispered, just staring at him – his face was lit up by the thousand shimmering colors that just seemed to hang in the air all around them.

He took a deep breath and turned to face her. “Thanks.” He walked over to her, eyes never leaving hers, and took her hand. “Are you ready for dinner? Tonight chef Halpert has prepared a menu of melted American cheese on toasted white bread, served with grape soda, and wine if you clean your plate.”

She giggled, “Of course!” He walked her over to the lawn chairs, handed her a plate with a perfect grilled cheese sandwich, and sat down beside her. “Jim, this is breathtaking. And this grilled cheese is amazing! Maybe I can’t ban the Foreman grill…”

“Ha! No, I can do perfectly without it, trust me. I just figured cooking on the roof was a tiny bit more romantic than cooking in the toaster…”

“Too true, Halpert. Too true. So do I even want to know how you got all of this up here without me noticing?” she asked, taking another bite of her sandwich.

He laughed, “umm….well, to be perfectly honest, no you probably don’t. Let’s just say I had help, and leave it at that.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

They laughed and talked while they ate, enjoying the music and colors and the light. The song changed, and suddenly Jim was standing in front of her, taking her plate. “Dance with me?” he asked quietly, holding out his hand to her, offering her an earbud. She laughed, stood up, and put it in her ear.

“This kind of love, is what I dreamed about,
Yeah it fills me up, baby it leaves no doubt.
This kind of love is why I’m standing here,
It’s something that we can share,
I can’t get enough of this kind of love.”

They danced like they had that night so long ago, standing closer than just friends, without the touch of lovers. But this time it felt completely different – no fear or guilt nibbling at the back of her mind. The look on his face made her want to melt into him and never leave. She gazed up into his eyes, and then followed them down as he slowly knelt in front of her. Her breath caught in her throat, and she tried to keep back the joyful tears as he finally pulled a little black box out of his coat.

“Pam,” he whispered, his voice husky with emotion, “I love you. I feel like I’ve loved you my whole life, and I definitely know I want to be with you for the rest of it.” Now she could see the flickering candlelight reflected in his eyes, so full of love. “Will you marry me?”

A single tear escaped her eye and slid down her cheek as she laughed, and happily cried “YES! Yes, yes, yes, Jim. Absolutely yes!”

He whooped and rose quickly, lifting her up into a kiss and twirling her around, knocking over a candle or two. “That’s good, ‘cuz now you can have this!” He grinned at her and pulled the ring out of the box, sliding it onto her finger, where the diamond immediately caught the colored lights all around them, making Pam sigh and tear up as she looked from her ring to Jim’s face.

He turned up the music as they slid into each other’s arm, lips pressed firmly together, and hearts completely in love.


End Notes:
Thanks for reading everyone! It was fun to get my foot in the door with this story I'd been thinking about for so long.

The songs they listen to are Jason Mraz "Sleeping to Dream", and Sister Hazel "This Kind of Love".
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3653