The Kind That You Learn From by floodedapartment
Summary: One year after Pam put a letter into Jim's infamous messenger bag, big changes have happened. How has life changed for them? Will they be able to find that common ground?
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Alternate Universe Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Humor
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 8297 Read: 9619 Published: July 29, 2008 Updated: October 06, 2008
Story Notes:
The sequel to "The Messenger Bag" is finally here. I've had some time to think about how the story is going to go, and then it was just a matter of putting into writing, which, with a full time-part time job and recovering from surgery is kind of hard to do. Anyway, Ive taken a few liberties, made some assumptions, so its technically an AU. It will be very AU soon, too. I originally had another chapter for the Messenger Bag, but Ive decided to incorporate it into the story.

1. The Tradition Continues by floodedapartment

2. Hot Tempered Fiances and Clingy Girlfriends by floodedapartment

3. On a Technicality by floodedapartment

4. Dependency on the Disconnect Button by floodedapartment

5. Chainsaw by floodedapartment

6. Wet Feet by floodedapartment

The Tradition Continues by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
Takes place a year after the end of MB.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Spoilers for Goodbye Toby. Do not own.
Dear Pam,

It seems like just yesterday this tradition began, but here we are, one year later, still slipping each other notes on company time. But this one is special, Miss Beesly, because it is, as I said, the one year anniversary of us. Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

If you’re reading this, then I know for sure that you actually read through the faxes in the morning, and that you don’t just throw them into the “special filing system”. But, if you are reading this, you’ve already seen the surprise I have left for you right next to the fax machine. Its not extravagant, and its certainly not elegant, but the moment I saw it, I knew it was perfect for you.

Tomorrow marks some changes. Big changes. But with you, I know everything is going to be alright.

I love you, I always will. (hell, I always have)

Jim

PS – As much as you wont want to wake me up before you leave in the morning, please do. It would kill me if you left without saying goodbye.


Pam folded the letter back up, and slid it into her purse. Her smile beamed, but as she looked at her now barren desk, the bright smile faded. It was her last day at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. At least for the summer. But it was going to be a long summer for her, away from her family, away from Jim.

“Pamalamadingdong!” She heard Michael scream from his office.

It was going to be a long day.

***

“No, I don’t think she’d like that.” Jim said, to an oddly serious Andy, as they looked into the glass cabinets of the jewelery store. “Pam’s not exactly a yellow diamond kind of girl.”

“But it screams ‘Ray of Sunshine”. And Pam certainly is the sunshine of our office.”

“Andy, I told you, I already got her engagement ring. We’re looking at bands.”

“Why are you looking at wedding bands, Tuna? You haven’t even proposed yet.” Andy said with a confused look on his face.

Jim sighed. “Because I want Pam to know that I am in this. Her last engagement, she did everything.”

“Wait, Pam was engaged before??” Jim nodded. “To who?”

“Remember Roy, from the warehouse?” Jim said, grimacing with disgust.

“Tuna, are you yanking my chain?”

“I yank not.”

“Wow. So this one will be different.”

“Yah, this one is gonna stick.” Jim said. “She’s not going to get stuck doing all the planning and preparing. I will do as much as she wants me to.”

“So when do you pop the question, big tuna?”

“Tonight.”

Andy started talking about something that didn't really interest Jim. His eye caught a pair of white gold wedding bands, and as he signalled down the sales girl, he asked her to put them on hold. He took out his phone and quickly snapped a picture. He felt it. These were it. Symbols of eternity, love, trust and devotion.

It probably would have been a great moment, had Andy not been singing Endless Love.

***

Pam decided at around 2pm that enough was enough. Jim was out on a sales call with Andy, and it was time to send him a message.

I cant take it much longer, I'm going to go insane.

She pulled her purse out of her desk and placed the single white rose inside. The little token of affection that Jim had placed next to the fax machine had sat next to her computer screen to keep her sane during the day. Her phone then buzzed, with a response from Jim.

You cant wait until I get back? How will you get home?

My other boyfriend can drive me.

Who? Dwight?

Creed.


Just then, the office phone rang. “Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam.”

“I don’t want you in a car with Creed.”

“I don’t want you in a car with Andy, but here we are.”

“So, you’re thinking of heading out early?” Jim asked, pulling into the Dunder Mifflin parking lot.

“Its so boring here without you.”

“Did you ask Michael if you can leave?”

“Not yet, but I’m sure I can come up with a good excuse.” Pam said, watching Michael look intensely at his computer screen. “He seems to be busy anyway. I’m sure he’s watching clips of Whose Line is it Anyway on YouTube.”

“Again?” Jim asked

“Again.”

“Well, hurry up. I'm downstairs.” He said. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly said she’d be right down. She walked over to Michael’s office and knocked the obligatory 6 times. After he said it was okay to come in, she knocked twice more. She learned her lesson once, a lesson she will never forget.

“Michael?”

“I still can’t believe that this show got cancelled.” He said. “It was ahead of its time!”

“Its improv, Michael. Plus I think it was the cast that wanted to end the show.” She stopped herself. She wouldn’t get out of that conversation. “Michael, I was wondering if I could leave early. I have a lot of packing to do still.”

“Well, yeah, I guess. Just get Meredith to take over the phones. Have fun in New York.”

“Thanks, Michael.”

“And, you know that there is a party in your honour next weekend, right?”

“I do, I will be here.” She said, smiling. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She knew he would never pick up her sarcasm.

She grabbed her purse and unceremoniously left the office. As promised, Jim was waiting for her in his car, Andy now long gone. “You ready?”

She looked at him and smiled. “Absolutely.”
End Notes:
Reviews would be wonderful!
Hot Tempered Fiances and Clingy Girlfriends by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
So here's where Ive taken some liberties. The events in Goodbye Toby that are Ryan related dont happen in this story.

Do not own, you know, anything.
Jim stepped over the array of suitcases that lined the hallway of Pam’s apartment. She was packing up for a three month stint in New York City, more specifically the Pratt School of Design. Her dreams were coming true, the dream that she never imagined possible until the day of the Job Fair. And he was totally ready to be there for her every step of the way. Pam was in her bedroom cleaning up the mess she had made, making sure that there was enough room for her sister’s things. Pam’s sister Kate would be house sitting for her, and even offered to pay rent.

“Did you remember to pack the kitchen sink? Because I think you have everything else you own.” Jim said, sitting next to her on the floor.

“I don’t own the kitchen sink, so its not mine to pack.” She quipped back. “I just like to be prepared.”

“Are you getting hungry yet? Because I'm starved.” Jim said, anxiously.

“Oh would you calm down? Its only 4:30.” She said. Jim looked at his watch. Damn, she was right. He was too excited for dinner time to arrive. He planned dinner on her terrace. He would order in Italian food, put a blanket and some pillows down on the ground with a bottle of wine. He wouldn’t be too cheesy in his proposal. It would be simple. He had been joking about it with her for what seemed years, but only in the last few weeks did he actually have this planned. Not the part with her moving away for a summer, but the ring in hand, down on one knee, pleading to her with every fibre of his being to make him the happiest man in the world.

“I guess you’re right.” He finally snapped back out of it. “Did you need any help?”

“Only with bringing this stuff to the car in the morning.”

“I will be here.” He said.

“Oh, you will?” She turned to look at him. “Did you just invite yourself to sleep over?”

“What? I sleep here all the time.”

“Yes, but I always invite you.”

“So? It’s the last night we can actually have a sleep over before your sister moves in and I start having sleep overs with her.” He said jokingly.

“Well what if I wasn’t going to invite you? What would you have done then?”

“Oh that’s easy. I would have fallen asleep on the couch after dinner. And there’s no waking me up after that.”

“You are a rock.” She said, nodding. “Good plan, Halpert. What else have you got up your sleeve?” She asked.

“Nothing at all,” he said, pulling himself up onto her bed. “No plans.”

She looked over. “Really? None?”

“Not a thing.” He paused. “What?”

“Nothing.” She said, almost disappointed.

The room went so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. Pam turned her back and started hanging clothes back up in the closet. She thought to herself that he would probably wait to propose to her until after she got back from New York. But why he would do that, she didn't know. “Pam.” Jim said from behind her. She turned around, and saw him on bended knee.

“Jim.”

“Enough is enough. I cant wait or play around much longer. So here it is. Five years ago, I fell in love with my best friend. One year ago, we made it truly official. No hot tempered fiancés and no clingy girlfriends were in our way, and we finally became us.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring. “I bought this for you a week after we started dating. And ever since I’ve been fighting the urge to ask you to be my wife, but I know now that its time. I will never take for granted everything that you’ve given me. A best friend, a true love, a soul mate. So make my life complete, and be my wife?”

***

Dear Jim,

Orientations are no fun without really bad and annoying videos made by the boss (or in this case, the professor). And they’re especially no fun without you.

I cant wait until this weekend, because I get to see you. It may be at a work party, but at least I know that I will see you.

Which brings me to the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Are we telling Dunder Mifflin about us? I personally don’t care. We could wait, or we could just not say anything, or we could announce it at the party. I just don’t want Michael begging us to be the best man, or usher or wedding singer.

I love you, have I mentioned that lately? Well, since I just got off the phone with you, and said it about a thousand times, I’m gonna say that I didn't tell you enough, just how much I love you. And don’t get so down on yourself about how you asked me to marry you. It was perfect. Did you really expect me to say no? I love you too much to hurt you.

I have to get going. Thank you for the beautiful ring, thank you for the kiss you texted me. It was creepy, but cute.

I have my first class in just under an hour, so I should get going.

Talk to you tomorrow,

Pam, the future Mrs. Creed Bratton.

PS… Can I just say how much I love this phone you got me?? I never in a million years ever thought that I would have a use for an iPhone, but here I am, emailing you. *kiss*


He was down on one knee in front of her, as she was organizing her closet. It was the most romantic thing she’d ever experienced. She hit the SEND button on her phone.

***

Jim watched as Pam shredded the wrapping on the box. She was like a kid on Christmas.

“You didn’t have to get me anything. I’m marrying you, I already said yes.” She said.

“Trust me, this is something that you’ll need in New York.” He said.

She tore the wrapping off. The box revealed the contents, but Pam still couldn’t believe it. “Is the real gift inside, or am I dreaming?”

“The gift is what it says. I’m not that kind of guy.”

“You got me an iPhone?” Jim nodded. “You’re the best boyfriend ever.” She said, leaning over and kissing him.

“Um, Pam, I’m not your boyfriend.” He said, looking hurt.

“Oh, I'm sorry. You’re the best fiancé ever.” She said. “And the greatest boyfriend ever, and one day you’ll be the greatest husband ever.”

“You’re putting a lot of pressure on, Beesly.”

“Oh, grow up.” She said, jokingly. “Hey, I actually heard back from Ryan today.” She said. “He said the position in New York is available.”

In their weekly emails back and forth, Ryan had mentioned to Pam that there was a Senior Management position similar to Ryan’s available in New York. It was a management training position, with some travel, but nothing too far. Add on use of the company car and a fully furnished and paid for apartment, the deal was golden. Ryan emailed the description to Jim, but to no avail. He then told Pam to light a fire under him. Pam saw this as an opportunity for the both of them, one that she couldn’t let them pass up.

“Really?” Jim’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. “I thought for sure that…” his words trailed off.

“That Karen would have already jumped at it? I asked, and he said he hasn’t even heard from her. You should do it, Jim. You know I’ll go with you.” She said.

“I know, it’s just…”

“Jim, what’s keeping you in Scranton? Me? Because the only think keeping me in Scranton is you, and I’m more than willing to leave if you do.”

“I know that, Pam. But I don’t want to get to ahead of myself here. What if I don’t get it and just humiliate myself?”

“To who? Me? Because I’m proud of you no matter what you do. Or do you mean Ryan, also known as The Fire Guy?”

Jim smiled. “You’re right.”

“I know.” She brought herself to her tippy toes and kissed him gently. “Come on, babe. No rest for the wicked.”

Jim took her in his arms again. “You’re right. I’ll call Ryan on Monday.”

“Actually….” Pam started. Jim looked at her. “I already set up an interview for you.”

“Pam!”

“It’s the day that you were planning to come visit me at Pratt anyway, you can just take the day off work, instead of leaving early.” She reasoned. “Come on, you know that I did the right thing.”

Jim smiled. “Yeah, you did.” He kissed her. “What would I do without you?”

“Pine over me for three years and tell me you love me?” she answered.

Jim snorted with laughter. “Oh, Beesly.”

“Ah, ah ah! Future Mrs. Halpert.” She corrected.
End Notes:
Comments are amazing. They make me stay up late and write. Thanks!!
On a Technicality by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own anything. Thats not true. I treasure my make up like its a child. Only because I spent enough on it to claim them as dependents. (kidding, maybe)

Enjoy, the drama is coming after this one.
The first week at Pratt had passed, and Pam was on her way back to Scranton, for the Dunder Mifflin See You Soon Pam party. It was Michael’s big attempt to throw a party that would show Pam what she would be missing, and to persuade Ryan to come back to visit with him. And of course, Ryan came out with Pam for the big event. She made sure to hide the ring from Ryan, she didn’t want him to know before they made their announcement at the party. While in the car, Pam kept the ring turned around, and did her best to hide the ring.

“Have you talked to Jim at all?” he asked.

“About what?” Pam asked.

“About his interview next Friday with David Wallace? Is he nervous?” he asked.

“I don’t know. He said he isn’t, but you know Jim, he doesn’t often vocalize his feelings until the last minute.” She said, turning onto the off ramp to Scranton.

Ryan’s eyes shot open. “What is that?”

Pam froze. “What’s what?” she said with her eyes glued to the road.

“That rock on your finger. The one you’re trying to hide.” He said. “Am I right?”

Pam fought back a smile. “Ryan, don’t.”

“I am right, aren’t I? He proposed!” he exclaimed.

“Gloat all you want, Ryan, but I have the one thing that will bring you down from your high horse.” She said.

“What’s that, Mrs. Halpert?” he teased.

“I happen to know where your Hottest in the Office Dundie is, Fire Guy.” She teased back.

Ryan’s face fell, and Pam’s phone rang. “Hey.” It was Jim. “No, we should get there in about 20 minutes.” She looked over at Ryan. “Yes, Ryan came.” He was still staring at the ring located on her hand. “We’ll see you there then. Okay, I love you too. Bye.”

“Pam, how could you not tell me?”

“Because we were going to wait until the party.” She said.

“I won.” He said.

“What?”

“The bet. I bet that Jim would propose within a year.” Ryan said, pumping his fists in excitement.

“I hate to burst your bubble, but he proposed on our one year anniversary, not before.”

“Really?” Ryan asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, lets get specific here, Pam. When did your date start one year ago?”

Pam shook her head. “I don’t know, around 6:30?”

Ryan nodded. “And what time did Jim propose? It was on the anniversary, right?”

“Right. It was…. Oh my god, you’re right. He proposed at 4:30. I guess you do win.” She said. “So what do you win?”

“Fifty dollars and we threw in a pizza from Alfredo’s Pizza Café. Kevin’s choice, can’t you tell?”

***
“Can I have everyone’s attention please?” Michael announced in the Dunder Mifflin conference room. “We are proud to send our own little Pamela Beesly into the world of graphicular design for the next few months. We hope that you come back knowing more than you did before, because then this would all have just been a waste of time, and not worth staring at Meredith while you’re gone.” He raised his glass. “To Pam Beesly!” The rest of the Dunder Mifflin crowd toasted tentatively to their boss’ speech. Then Jim spoke.

“Hey everyone, I have a quick announcement.”

Pam had her ring in her pocket until she knew that Jim would be saying something. She didn’t want anyone seeing it, like Ryan did.

“I just want to thank everyone for staying late tonight for the party. As you know, Pam and I have had a rough go of it for the past week. Its been tough, but we’ve managed to already rack up huge phone bills. But the real reason I'm talking right now is to say what you’ve probably been placing bets on for the last 5 years, and it’s true.” He paused. “Pam and I are getting married.”

Phyllis gasped loud enough to startle Angela, who was still heavily guarded by her new fiancé, Andy.

“TUNA!”

“Dammit.” Kevin exclaimed. “When did he actually propose?”

“Too late, Kev. It was within the year.” Ryan said. “That’ll be fifty bucks.”

“What about the pizza?”

“Keep it. I can get better in New York.” Ryan laughed.

After over an hour of getting congratulated by everyone, finally, Dwight came up to Jim and Pam. “I’m not falling for it.”

“What are you talking about Dwight?” Pam asked.

“I know that this is just another one of your impish pranks. You’re going to send me an invitation and everything, get me all dolled up and I’d be the only one to show up somewhere. Is that your plan, Jim? Is that what you’re planning??”

“Actually, Dwight. You’re right. You caught me.” Jim started. “If that’s what you want, I wont invite you to a church, to witness a wedding, eat some cake, do some dancing. I honestly won’t.”

“Good.”

Pam looked up at Jim. “You realize that you just gave me the best wedding present ever, right?”

“I did?” he asked.

“You just ensured that Dwight would not be at my wedding. Yeah, I’d say that’s a great present.”

***

Dear Pam,

If you’re reading this, then you’ve arrived home safely, and Ryan didn’t come in with you. Glad to know that there’s no secret affair happening.

I’m glad we decided to tell the office about us. Its just better that everything is out in the open, even if Michael is twice as annoying now. We will deal with it. Actually, since you’re off in New York, I’ll be the one dealing with it, so, thanks. I love you too. *kiss*

Here’s the real reason for the letter. I remember back when you were planning that other wedding that, well, it’s just that, YOU were planning it. You had little help, and that, my love, is going to change. In the envelope are pictures of some wedding bands I found. And I think we should get married at that church you were telling me about, the one by your parents’ house, the one that you wanted to get married in, but he didn't. I don’t just think, I WANT to get married there. Because if a building makes you as excited as I remember, then that’s where I want to be.

And as for the date, I’m not going to just blurt out a date on some silly camaraderie cruise. I want us to decide that. But I’m going to put my foot down on one thing. It will definitely not be June 10th.

After you’re home, we’ll continue the planning. I promise you that.

Love,
Jim

***

“Dunder Mifflin, this is Grace. Hold please.”

It was all too familiar. One year later, he was back at the corporate offices, meeting with David Wallace for a corporate position. Only this time, things were different. There was nothing holding him in Scranton, since Pam would go with him. She thought he was ready for this. And he believed her.

“Mr. Halpert? David will see you now.”

Jim stood and walked through the glass doors. He passed Ryan’s office as he walked. “Good luck, man.” Ryan called out to him.

He walked straight into David’s office, sat down.

“We meet again.” David said.

“Yeah, only this time, I’m ready to be here. For good.” He said.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Dependency on the Disconnect Button by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
This chapter was initially much much longer, but I had to cut it, because it got super long. I also want to thank everyone for reading. Its okay that you dont comment, but the read count says it all. Thanks so much!
Her apartment was still cluttered with her belongings, but she didn’t care. She and Jim would sit on boxes, eating take out from the thai place around the corner. They’d sit on the cheap futon that she bought at Wal-Mart, and watch DVDs, since she decided not to spring for cable TV. Her life in New York was no where near as glamorous as she’d been lead to believe, but she didn’t care, as long as Jim was there. When she heard the buzzer, she flew to the door, whipping it open to see Jim there, with take out bag in tow, with his overnight bag in his other hand. “Hey.”

“Tell me, how did it go?” she asked, taking the food out of his hand.

“How was your day?”

“Just fine, but I’ve been wondering how you did all day? Was it Wallace interviewing you?” She said.

“Yeah, hey, I got those gross minty things that you like.” He said, taking off his tie and kicking off his shoes.

“Jim?”

“Yeah.”

“Why are you deflecting?” she asked. “What happened? Just be honest, Jim, I can handle it.”

He took a deep breath. “I'm so sorry Pam.”

“What? What happened?” she asked.

“I know I told you not to get your hopes up.” he said `I'm so sorry.`

“It’s okay.” She said into his chest.

“No, its not okay.” He sighed. “I told you not to get your hopes up, when, they should be up, because I got it!”

“No!”

“I start Monday.” He said kissing her. “And I wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for you.” He said.

“Oh my God, Jim,” she kissed him. “I'm so proud of you.” She kissed him again. “So what’s your actual title?”

“I am the Senior Manager of Representatives, meaning that I will work with Ryan, my boss, and the regional managers to increase customer relations and productivity within the company.”

“That sounds…”

“Boring, I know, but it actually means that Michael and Dwight have to listen to me and Ryan, or they get fired. For real.”

“Wow. So, Ryan is your boss?”

“And, you didn’t hear this from me, but Dunder Mifflin Infinity is no longer. We’re going to have a different online ordering system that will go through the sales departments, and not corporate.”

“Sounds pretty awesome.”

“Yeah, one thing though. Ryan doesn’t exactly know about that yet. The whole, Dunder Mifflin Infinity thing. That’s his project.”

“Oh.” All of a sudden, Pam felt bad for her friend. “Well, Ryan knows that there were glitches in DMI. I’m sure if you and Ryan work together you can come up with something.”

“Yeah, well, we will see. I just can’t believe it.”

“So since you start Monday, does that mean our weekend is gonna get cut short?” She asked.

“I think I’ll manage. David said he’d talk to Michael, and I can get my things Monday, after I start in my new office, with a view, one not of Dwight.” He said, sitting next to the makeshift coffee table in her living room. “But more importantly, it means no more eating take out at a table made out of milk crates.”

Pam looked at him with a confused look. “You already found an apartment?”

“Dunder Mifflin has supplied a fully furnished apartment, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, balcony, kitchen, laundry, you name it, just a few blocks away from here, and even closer to Pratt.” He said. Pam’s eyes lit up.

“Wow. That sounds awesome. Do you really need three bedrooms?” she asked.

“I don’t. But I'm thinking one could be a studio for you, and the third we would eventually use when you know, we start a family.” He said.

“So you’re asking me to move in?”

“I thought it was implied.” He said.

“Just checking.” She said with a smile.

“So, it’s a good thing you’ve barely unpacked.” He said.

“And that the landlord hasn’t drawn up my lease papers!”

***

“Again??”

“Michael, I told you about the interview, you had to see this coming.” Jim said. The next Monday saw Jim in a meeting with David, Ryan and with Michael over the phone.

“I never thought you’d actually get it though. What am I supposed to do now?”

“Michael, you have sufficient staff, a great sales team, I think you’ll do just fine.” Ryan said. “With Jim here in New York, we’re able to gauge the way our branches are handling their relations with their most valued customers, and research ways to keep that dynamic alive. He will be making visits, just like I do.” Ryan explained.

“Jim, can I ask you something?”

“What is it Michael?” Jim said, sounding uncannily like Ryan.

“What happens to you and Pam now? With you in New York and her here in Scranton?”

Jim looked around. Ryan was shaking his head.

“Uhh, I’m pretty sure…” Jim started. Ryan quickly cut him off.

“Michael, Pam has been offered a position here at the corporate offices.” Ryan said.

“Answering phones? What happened to Grace?”

“No, Michael, with her training at Pratt, Pam will have the skills to work in our graphics department.”

There was silence on the phone. “My whole family is leaving me.” Michael cried. “I have an empty nest. First Ryan, the office pool boy, and now Jim and Pam. What is going to happen now?”

“Michael, we really have to get to work. But Jim will be there tomorrow to clean out his desk and start his research.”

“Alright, well, don’t think that this issue is taken care of Ryan. This is my staff we’re talking about here. That’s what she said.” They could hear Michael giggling through the phone.

“That’s something that you can take up with Holly, Michael. If you feel that you need to hire another sales rep, then that’s up to you.” Jim said, shocking everyone, and not just himself.

“Pulling rank already, are you?” Michael asked. And with that, Ryan hit the disconnect button on the phone.

“You’ll use that button a lot with him.” He said.

“So, I hate to do this, but you said that Pam would…” Jim started.

“She does have an offer from us to go to our new Graphics Department. They will be in charge of the look and layout of the website, as well as a new feature to our customers where they can assist in designing watermarks or other images for their supply. We’ve already offered this to her over a week ago, but we haven’t heard from her yet.”

This came as a shock to Jim. She hadn’t even mentioned it.

“Oh, okay.”

“Welcome to corporate life, Jim.” David said.

***

Jim walked up the street to Pam’s apartment, thinking about things in his head. His mind was going a mile a minute. Just as he was entering her building, she came down the stairs of the walk up.

“Hey, how was your first day?” she asked, leaning up and gently kissing his cheek.

“Oh good. It was pretty interesting. How was class?”

“Great.” She said. “So, do you wanna go celebrate your first day? I'm thinking Italian.”

“Um, sure. And afterwards we can go to the new apartment.” He said.

“You got the key?” she asked excitedly.

“I did.”

They ate at their favourite little Italian place in the neighbourhood, and Jim never brought up what he had learned. He sat on his words, and listened as she talked about the new events of her graphic design class. After dinner, they walked to their new apartment, which was two blocks up from her school, and just a few blocks away from Dunder Mifflin Headquarters. As he turned the key, Pam jumped in excitement.

“Are you ready?” Jim asked. “You don’t seem ready.”

“Just open the door.” She said with a coy smile.

He pushed the door open and they walked into the foyer, and saw the huge apartment that would begin their lives together.

“Wow. This place is amazing.”

“David said the only rooms we’d have to furnish are the spare bedrooms. The first three months are on Dunder Mifflin, then after its all ours.”

“Oh my god. What’s the rent?”

“Actually pretty reasonable, but Dunder Mifflin owns the building.”

“Really?”

“I'm kind of glad you don’t know this building. Ryan lives here, you know.” Jim said.

“Really?”

“Yeah.” He couldn’t hold it in much longer. “Pam, I need to talk to you.”

“okay.”

“So, I heard from Ryan today about the new graphics department at Dunder Mifflin.”

Pam’s face lit up. “I know, isn’t it great!”

“So you did get the job offer?” He asked.

“Yeah, I was going to tell you after I decided, and with the encouragement of my professor I’m going to take it. I waited to tell you because I was nervous that you wouldn’t get the job.” She explained.

Jim nodded. “Pam, this is huge though. You could have talked to me.”

“I guess a part of me wanted it to be a surprise. You know, both of us working at Corporate, in New York.” She said. But Jim’s face was still covered in disappointment. “Jim?”

“Why couldn’t you talk to me about this Pam?” Jim asked.

Pam was dumbfounded. “I thought you’d be happy about this.”

“I am. Trust me, nothing makes me happier that we will still be working together, in jobs were better suited for. But Pam, we need to talk about things. You used to tell me about Wife Swap, but you couldn’t tell me about a job?”

“Jim, I'm sorry.”

“I’m just kind of hurt.” He said.

“I am allowed time to think about things, right?” she asked.

“Of course. But telling me you’re thinking about something is okay too. I’ll never pressure you into anything.”

“I know that, Jim. But this is something I needed.”

Jim pursed his lips. “Okay.”

“Are you sure we’re okay?”

“So you’re taking the job?” he asked.

“Yeah, I think I am.” She said proudly.

He slowly walked toward her and took her in his arms. “Then we’re more than okay.”
End Notes:
The next chapter will probably be up Friday sometime. Comments are not necessary but appreciated!
Chainsaw by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
Wow. Hiatus much, eh? Im so sorry for the delay in this chapter. I went through a rough summer, which has resulted in me losing touch with my Office fandom. Im sorry. But once I got my hands on the DVDs (and with a little squeeing from Weight Loss) Im back in the groove. Here's the next chapter! Enjoy! We see a touchy subject coming up. The R word!

Disclaimer: I dont own. Promise!
Dear Jim,

Its kind of awkward writing you letters even though we now live together and we can call or email each other any time. But I'm too attached to this tradition of ours. Needless to say I am bored, waiting for you to come home. I hope Utica isn’t too awkward, with Karen being there and everything.

Its official, in September Ill be working at Dunder Mifflin Head Offices with you. I just got the call from Ryan today, and my desk is being ORDERED! I get to pick my own chair, and fall in love with a chair model. I'm sorry, Jim, but that’s just what happens when you shop for chairs. You fall in love with the people in the catalogue. Didn’t you know that’s the norm now?

I still can’t believe that I am almost done at Pratt. We’ve lived in New York for 2 months now, and I'm about to start an entire new life with you. I also can’t believe that Ryan did what he did. Delaying my start date and giving you time off so we can go back to Scranton. You realize its so close, right? August 31st? Its really close. But I couldn’t be more excited.

So, Ill see you in just a few hours. I'm hoping I don’t fall asleep in this class again. That’s the consequence of having “Supernatural” marathons… being too freaked out to sleep, and when you do, its in your graphic design class.

I love you, dork.
I'm sorry, that was cold.
I love you, my dork.
Pam :)

PS – I just got an email from Oscar; the office is now being forced to diet, per Michael’s request. Do you miss it?


…………………

It was their normal quiet Sunday night when it was finalized.

“So it is decided?” he asked.

Pam nodded in excitement. She cringed at the thought of a long engagement. She didn’t want what had happened with Roy to happen again. A simple ceremony, in her parents’ backyard, with just family and a few close friends in attendance with a justice of the peace; it was all they wanted.

“August 31st. 3pm, with time for dinner afterward.” She said.

Jim smiled wide. “You’re not…”

Pam nodded. “I am so excited, you have no idea.”

Since moving to New York, they had more time together, less interruptions from Michael and Dwight, and just enough peace and quiet to keep them from going insane. Their nights were spent together, but often Pam would be preparing for her finals. Jim understood her need to finish her program, and gave her the space she needed. But his curiosity often got to him.

“Jim,” Pam said, pushing his arm off her shoulder. “I really need to finish this tonight.”

“Sorry.” He said, defeated.

“If you want my attention so bad, then talk. I can draw and talk.” She said, looking up from her sketchpad.

Jim had a topic in mind. He test to make sure it was okay.

“Alright. I was wondering, now that its been a few years, with time to reflect… what Roy is now.”

Pam’s eyes darted over to him. Yep, probably not a good idea.

“What?”

“I’m just saying, since its been a few years since you and Roy broke up, and you have the far superior choice in your life, what is he to you now? Is he the stepping stone to me, or is he still an important part of who you are? I'm curious. Don’t worry, I can take it.” He said confidently.

“You really wanna have this conversation?” She said, tossing her pencil down to the table. Jim nodded. She got up and sat on the arm of the chair he occupied. “In retrospect?” Jim nodded again. “Roy was the kind of guy that you learn from. You learn how men act and react, the positives and the negatives, the guy who can teach you how to throw a football, use a chainsaw.”

“You can use a chainsaw?” Jim asked.

“Shut up.” She said. “I learned who I didn’t want to be with Roy. I was the pushover, meek scared little mouse who never spoke up. With you,” she slid down on to his lap, “I’ve learned to be who I am. I am who I want to be, how I want to be. And at the end of the day, I just want to be all of that with you, but still knowing all the things that I learned before.” She stared at him for a moment before his lips found hers. She melted into him, wrapping his arms around his neck and pulling herself closer. Finally, he pulled his lips from hers, still millimetres away from hers.

“I love this you.” He said. “I love the old you, the new you, the future you.”

“And my ability to use a chainsaw?” she joked.

Jim pulled back further to look into her eyes. “Are you serious?”

“I have work to do.” She stood up off his lap, walking back to the table.

***

Pam manoeuvred her way through the now familiar halls of Pratt to her last final exam, clutching her book bag nervously. She knew her stuff, the exam would be easy. But she knew that once this exam was done, she and Jim were merely hours away from their wedding. She was shaking. It was at this point in her previous engagement where she bailed, thanks to the fight or flight response within her.

Her handwriting was reduced to chicken scratch.

She couldn’t stop her foot from jiggling, thus annoying the guy next to her.

She flew through her exam, jolting up and handing the blue booklet to the proctor. On her way to her car, she texted Jim, ‘hey, I have some errands to run, ill be back tonight. Don’t wait up. *kiss*’

And it wasn’t until she saw the welcoming sign that she began to feel even worse.

“Welcome to Pennsylvania”.

***

Jim wasn’t the superstitious type. He was more of a go with the flow kind of guy. His whole lead in to his relationship and engagement was basically a traumatic series of sometimes unfortunate events, but with sometimes great results. But it wasn’t until the moment he stepped off the Dunder Mifflin elevator and said a farewell to Grace, the receptionist, that his lack of planning came back to kick him. He wondered if maybe he should be planning more into his marriage to Pam, more so than living in New York, working at Dunder Mifflin and living happily ever after. He wondered if more insight should be prepared before saying ‘I do.’ He wondered if it was a good idea to bring up kids to Pam just hours after her last exam.

Tomorrow, he was going to marry Pam, with little plan to do anything. He planned to love her, which was never a choice. It was merely a natural progression. But he wondered if he needed more than that.

Her text sent him into frenzy. She wouldn’t be home for hours. He had time to find his answers.

The traffic assisted in calming him, forcing him to take a breath. But his fingers started tapping again once he saw the sign.

“Welcome to Pennsylvania.”
End Notes:
Beer me reviews!
Wet Feet by floodedapartment
Author's Notes:
So this chapter is a little longer than the last (I had to keep it short, I wrote it in Commercial Law) and a little more angst driven. Brings us back to where it all began.
Usual Disclaimers apply: I do not own, I just use the characters as if they were not fictional. :)
She was going off the cuff, against the grain. They were supposed to drive in to Scranton in the morning together with their formal casual wear in tow, but she heard a calling take her mind to Scranton early. So early, that she forgot her dress.

She pulled into the parking lot, where she had asked him to meet her. And in her absent, almost instinctual action, she pulled out her phone, and emailed Jim.

“Jim,
I bet youre sleeping right now. Sorry to wake you. I just I guess I should tell you I'm in Scranton right now. I don’t know what came over me, but theres just something I need to do before tomorrow. Don’t worry, or anything. Its just… I'm just being weird. Like, Dwight weird. I need to get it out of my system now before you see just how Dwight-like I am and you decide to divorce me.
Ill meet you at my mom and dad’s at 10. Well do Cuginos for our pre wedding lunch? Is that fancy enough for ya?
Trust me, Jim. I want nothing in the world but to be married to you.
Love always, Pam.”


She locked up her car, and walked into Poor Richard’s pub. His silhouette was unmistakable.

“Hey, Roy.” She said.

He looked up. “Pammy.”

***

He was totally off book. Nothing in what he was doing was the status quo. He just drove. He ended up back in Scranton, just on the outskirts of town. He didn’t know what he was doing there. He just ended up back at the Dunder Mifflin parking lot. It was locked.

He noticed the exact spot where he had proclaimed his love for her. The memory burned in his brain. He was so vulnerable in that moment, and she was so defiant. She couldn’t. And he loved her even more for it. Sure, it broke his heart, and it left him jaded, rejected, and helpless, but it was the characteristic in her that he had wanted to see so badly, and once he saw it, he fell even harder.

He spent four hours standing outside the Scranton Business Park, reliving the memories. He sat on the ground, leaning against the fence.

Planning.

***

“What did you need to say, Pam?”

She took a deep breath. She was sure that he didn't know. “Its about Jim and I…”

“Don’t say it, Pam.” He shook his head. “You two broke up? Come on, Pammy.”

“Wh-what?”

“You two, as much as I hate to admit it, are like the perfect couple. I mean, big time New York jobs, trips to Connecticut, all that is in the cards for you guys. Don’t throw that away.”

She looked at him in awe. But then it hit her. “Michael told you.”

“I guess you haven’t heard, I'm back in the warehouse.” He said, quietly. “I mean, I'm on probation indefinitely, and I have anger management classes every Wednesday, but I'm back. And I’ve heard everything Pam. And I'm okay with it. But you can’t break up, it’s just not right.”

“We’re getting married, Roy. Tomorrow.”

“I heard that too. So you’re?”

“Wedding’s still on.”

Then Roy muttered something as his beer reached his lips. It sounded like ‘never heard that before’. Pam brushed it off.

“I have to ask you something.” She said.

“Shoot.” He said.

“Did you have plans for us?” she asked tentatively.

He took another swig of the malty liquid. “Not really,” he said, honestly. “I always thought that once we were hitched, everything would just fall into place. But things don’t happen that way.” He paused. “Did you?”

She nodded. “A house, kids, a dog.”

“But nothing beyond that?”

“No.” She admitted.

“Why do you ask?” he asked bluntly.

“I don’t know that Jim has plans for us. For years his goal was for us to be together, and when that happened, I don’t know that his planning went any further. I mean, he proposed, and we’re getting married, but what about after? Does he want to work for Dunder Mifflin forever? Do I? Can we plan for those big events, like kids, and dogs and houses, and vacations? Not just what movie were going to see or which restaurant to eat at. I don’t know that his plans go further than the wedding tomorrow. And as much as I would love to play it by ear, I need goals.”

“Pam, and please, take this for what it is, no man who has ever even talked to you, didn't have a plan for you. Jim isn’t about taking risks; he’s a practical guy, with a prankster’s attitude. But he knows that his goals will always include you. He won’t stray from that. I saw the way he looked at you while we were engaged, he had plans. His plans are to love you forever, but at the time I thought he wanted to bend you over the copier.”

She laughed. He laughed.

“He may not have plans for right now,” Roy said, “but believe me, the plans that he has have been brewing in his head ever since he laid eyes on you. You don’t see it, because you’re freaked out that you’re actually marrying the guy, but they’re there.”

She smiled. She had a feeling he was right. “Thanks Roy.”

“Anytime.”

“I really want us to be friends again. Sometime.”

“In time, Pam. Go marry Halpert, listen to his plans, and get back to me.” He said.

She walked back to her car, pulled out her shiny iPhone and checked for a return text. Nothing. She decided to call him. She took to the streets of Scranton, just driving.

“Hi, you’ve reached Jim Halpert, please leave your name and number and Ill call back soon.”

Then there was the tone.

“Hey, you’re probably still sleeping. Sorry. Just calling to say I love you, and I miss you. I'm in Scranton right now, driving around, because I'm still wide awake. I might head over to the office, just for old times sake. See you tomorrow husband.”

She pulled up to the grey building, the fence closed. She saw the familiar car parked outside.

“Jim?”

She got out of the car, walked toward the stillness that was Jim, leaning against the fence. “Jim,” she nudged. “What are you doing here?”

He sighed. “Just thinking.”

“In Scranton? At the office?”

He looked up. “Wait, what are you doing here?”

“Didn't you get my messages? I had something I had to do.” She paused. “I came to talk to Roy.”

Jim nodded. “Okay.”

“I had to ask him something, it wasn’t really appropriate to do it over the phone.” She explained. Jim continued to nod. “He told me that we’re really lucky to be getting married tomorrow.”

“Did he?”

“He did. He said that he knows that you have plans for me, for us.” She said, sitting next to him.

“Well for once… he’s right. I do.”

“You do?” She asked excitedly. “Good.”

“I think we both got that thing…” Jim took a pause. “How did Michael describe it?”

Pam smiled. “I think he called it wet feet.” Jim nodded. “I don’t have cold feet. I am ready to marry you. But I also needed that last push away from the old me; I needed to make myself ready to finally and completely close the chapter on Pam Beesly.”

“Me too. And where better to go than the place where our lives changed forever?” Jim said.

“So, tomorrow, or today, I should say.” Pam said, looking at her watch. “Youll still be there waiting for me?”

“Absolutely I will.” He said, finally smiling.

She pulled out her handy phone again, dialing the familiar number.

“Who are you calling?” Jim asked, pulling himself up from his slouch.

“Well, were both here, our wedding is in a few hours, and my dress is in New York. I'm calling Ryan to bring it in.”

“My suit is in the hall closet.” He said. “Wow… how irresponsible are we??”

“We had other things on our minds.” She said. “Hey, Ryan, sorry to wake you, but you need to go into our apartment and get a few things to bring for the wedding tomorrow. Yeah, in the hall closet, there’s a black wardrobe bag and a white one, we need them both. Yes, it’s my dress, and Jim’s suit. Shut up Ryan, just do it. Bye.”

“So,” she said, putting her phone into her pocket. “Where do we go now?”

Jim stood up, extended a hand to her and raised her to her feet. “Anywhere we want. But for now, we need to get some sleep. Big day tomorrow.”

Pam smiled wide. “I'm still too wired to sleep. How about we take a drive.”

“Alright,” he said, opening his car door for her. “Where to?”

They saw the familiar van pull up to the building. The night cleaning crew had arrived.

Pam looked over at Jim. “Are you thinking what I'm thinking?”

He grinned goofily.
End Notes:
Reviews make the world go round. Do YOU wanna stop the world??? Didnt think so! lol.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3809