In Reverse by princess-nincompoop
Summary: What would happen if the events of Casino Night took place during Season 3? Basically, Jim never confesses to Pam in the Season 2 finale but moves to Stamford anyway. It’ll be a wild ride.
Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Ensemble, Jim/Pam, Karen, Roy
Genres: Angst, In Stamford, Romance
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 1743 Read: 4109 Published: June 12, 2018 Updated: April 08, 2019
Story Notes:

this is my first fanfic ever, so i apologize in advance if it ends up being a total train wreck. also, all chapter titles will be from songs - more specifically, songs that remind me of Jim and Pam. 

DISCLAIMER: I don’t own this show or it’s characters! 

if I hadn’t blown the whole thing years ago, i might be here with you by princess-nincompoop
Author's Notes:
title taken from Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms

Pam Beesly never enjoyed thinking about what might happen if Jim Halpert, her best friend of many years, ever left moved away, but she found herself facing that harsh reality one warm May afternoon in the break room.

”You’re leaving?” She had asked, not wanting to to believe it and somehow clinging to a hope that it couldn’t possibly be true.

“Yeah...I'm leaving. I’m sorry, Pam. I know I should have told you sooner, but I hate seeing you upset and I didn’t want to put a damper on my last days here.”

Pam couldn’t help but feel a bit peeved at this. Sure, she could sort of understand where he was coming from, but if he had told her at any point before the day of his departure, she might have had time to plan something, make him a card...do anything to show him how much she valued their friendship. Jim had been her rock, her shoulder to cry on, her moral support, and basically all the moments she felt like her face would break from smiling so much or laughed so hard she cried were because of him. He was just...warm.

Stop it, Pam. He’s your best friend and nothing more. You love Roy.  

“I’m really sorry I, uh, didn’t get to make you anything or...do anything for you before you go.” She said, twisting her ring around her finger.

”No worries, Beesly. Hey, take care, alright? I’m gonna miss you.”

Pam could have sworn he was tearing up.

”I’m gonna miss you too, Halpert.”

More than you’ll ever know. 

At this point, Pam could feel her own tears beginning to well up in her eyes. “I hope I’ll, um, see you again sometime.” Her voice broke slightly.

”Absolutely.”

It was then that Pam, not caring about who might see them or what might happen if Roy were to walk through the office doors right then and there, enveloped Jim in a hug that almost literally took Jim’s breath away. 

“Whoah, there, Beesly” Jim laughed.

Pam gave a weak laugh through her tears, her face buried in Jim’s chest.

Let go of him, Pam. You’re just friends. Right? 

After what seemed like an eternity (but still not long enough) Pam tore away.

“Hey.” Jim said with a smile Pam noticed was tinged with sadness.

”Hey yourself.”

”I, uh, should probably be going.”

Pam nodded, her expression vacant, almost as if in a stupor induced by the inexplicably immense sadness she was feeling. Sure, it was understandable that she felt saddened by her best friend’s departure from her day-to-day life, but probably not this sad. 

“Don’t forget about me in Stamford!” She said, only halfway joking.

”Wouldn’t dream of it.”

And with that, Pam Beesly’s big green eyes filled with tears for the second, but certainly not the last time that day as she watched Jim walk out the doors of Dunder Mifflin Scranton for good. 

End Notes:
yikes. next chapter will most likely be the same scene but from Jim’s POV.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5527