We'll Go Down In History by nicemorningtoo
Summary:

'Cause I've spent a thousand nights

Lost in your emerald eyes

Lost in a place where I know you can see my soul

 

A fluffy song fic to Emerald Eyes by Anson Seabra.  


Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: None
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3841 Read: 1025 Published: March 31, 2020 Updated: March 31, 2020

1. Chapter 1 by nicemorningtoo

Chapter 1 by nicemorningtoo

I currently have five tabs open of stories I want to read, and I need to figure out some small last-minute details on the multi-chapter fic I want to write, but, yet, here I am. I discovered this song for the first time last night while aimlessly browsing Youtube, and it has been stuck in my head all day with thoughts of Jim and Pam surrounding it. I’d recommend listening to the song before reading, but you do you. So, this takes place all throughout the show, but it’s mostly things we’ve never seen on camera, with maybe some references to things we have seen. It starts out shortly after they start dating, then shortly after they’re married, then when they’re parents. Also, I know Cece in the show has bright blue, beautiful eyes, but for the sake of the song, we’re gonna pretend they’re green. I hope you all enjoy!

Song – Emerald Eyes by Anson Seabra

Disclaimer: I own nothing. All characters, plotlines, references, songs, etc. belong to their rightful owners. No copyright infringement intended.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

The summer night

The fading light

The perfect place

The perfect time

To take you somewhere we both want to go

 

A starry drive

In mid July

Park the car turn off the lights

And venture through a field out on our own

 

The silence that sits with them in the car is comfortable, welcome, even. Fingers intertwined over the center console, they listen to the radio play softly in the background, the air conditioning blowing softly on their faces, while the car hums along the road, the sky growing darker every mile. She moves from looking out the window, watching the scenery go by in dark shadows, to look at him. She can’t help the smile that creeps onto her lips as she watches him focus on the road ahead. It’s almost surreal, she thinks, how quiet, how peaceful, how absolutely perfect this night has turned out to be, and it has barely even started yet.

 

She thinks about six weeks ago, about how different their lives were to how they are at this very moment. He had a different girlfriend, a new haircut, a potential promotion on his fingertips. Her life felt like it was falling apart at the seams anytime she looked at him and had to remember that he wasn’t with her. It used to make her sad, when she thought about how much time they wasted with other people, how much time they wasted ignoring each other because it was easier than confronting their true feelings and risking losing it all. But then, just when she thought she lost him, this time for good, he came back. He opened the door, asked her to have dinner with him, and the pieces quickly fell together after that.

 

Now, almost two months later, she looks at him while he drives. His face is dark except for the tiny bit of light from the moon casting shadows along his jaw. He looks content, happy, and she hopes he knows that she feels the same way. She can’t believe this is her normal, watching Jim as he drives her to some unknown destination, the summer night buzzing by around them. She looks back out the front windshield, out to the stars in the dark, black sky. She thinks they’re beautiful, how bright they shine compared to the darkness surrounding them. She wonders where they’re going. He insisted it be a surprise, not even giving a hint when she begged him to just tell her. Just as she’s about to ask again, he’s slowing down, pulling off into an empty parking lot surrounded by trees.

 

He puts the car in park, turns off the ignition, then gets out and jogs to the passenger side to open her door for her. The headlights fade away, making the night even darker than it had been a minute ago. He takes her hand as she steps out, watching her as she surveys her surroundings. He kisses her knuckles before lacing their fingers back together, grabbing a blanket from the backseat, and leading her down a gravel path. It’s wooded on either side of them, and he can see the confusion plastered on her face, but he doesn’t want to give in and tell her. Instead, he keeps marching forward, looking down and smiling at her every few steps.

 

Finally, they break through the trees, and he hears her soft, quiet gasp at the view in front of them. It’s nothing particularly special, or at least it wouldn’t be to anyone else. But she recognizes it immediately, and he’s so happy that she does.

 

“I can’t believe I didn’t figure it out sooner,” she whispers, keeping her voice soft to match the quietness of the night.

“I’m glad you remember it,” his voice matches hers, neither of them wanting to break the calm surrounding them.

“How could I forget?”

 

He leads her further into the empty field, the grass high enough that it tickles their ankles. He lays down the blanket once he finds the spot they sat on years ago, then turns back to her, nothing but adoration in his eyes. He thinks about the first time they came here. Michael had decided the employees of Dunder Mifflin Scranton needed some more bonding exercises, even though they had all attended a company seminar the week before. “You can never get enough of your family” were his words exactly. He decided an overnight camping retreat would do, and so off they went to the forest, tents and all. The day was full of their office’s crazy antics, only amplified by the woods surrounding them. It wasn’t until after Dwight killed a squirrel, insisting it was for everyone to eat for dinner, that Jim turned to Pam and asked if she wanted to go eat their sandwiches elsewhere. She hurriedly agreed, grabbing a blanket while Jim grabbed their food, and they found a spot hidden away from their coworkers, past the trees and into this very field. They spent that night talking, laughing, and enjoying each other’s company. She ranted about Roy, he ranted about clients. She raved about his latest prank on Dwight, he raved about her latest drawing. It wasn’t until the sky started turning purple, then hues of orange and pink started peeking through the clouds, that they realized they hadn’t slept.

 

Now, five years later, they stand in that same spot. However, this time, he’s with her, and only her. He wanted this for so long. He wanted her to be his as he watched her eat her sandwich all those years ago. He wanted to take her out, get to know every little thing about her. He wanted to know her favorite movies, her favorite drink, what she dreamed about, what her goals were. Now, wrapping his arms around her, he gets to do all those things, and he can’t believe that she wants to do them with him, too.

 

The birds they sang a melody

My heart was keeping time and we

Were dancing on the edge of something new

 

Slow at first but still it seems

That we'll go down in history

As lovers from the start just me and you

 

She lays her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist, as he holds her close to him. She breathes him in, smelling his cologne mixed in with the oak and pine trees all around them. After a moment of just holding one another, she looks up at him, holds his face gently with one hand. She can hear owls in amongst the trees, indifferent to the couple standing out in the field. She smiles gently as he kisses her forehead, her sigh filled with nothing but content. He pulls away for a moment, reaching into his pocket. He pulls out his ipod, handing her an earbud. They put the earbuds into their ears, and he starts the first song, her eyes growing misty when she realizes what it is. As “Sing” by Travis plays, she wraps her arms around his neck and his go around her waist. This time, she won’t deny for a second that swaying is, in fact, dancing.

 

He can’t help but look at her while they gently sway back and forth, their bodies pressed against one another with her cheek resting on his chest. He sometimes can’t believe this is his actual life. He gets to stand here in the middle of a field and slow dance with Pam Beesly. After years of wanting nothing more than to hold her hand for more than a second, he finally gets to hold her and kiss her and love her all he wants. And when he remembers that she gets to do the same to him, wants to do the same to him, it’s almost too much for him to bear. He kisses the top of her head, feels her smile against him. He knows they just started dating a little over a month ago, but he can’t help but feel like their first night in this field, five years ago, really started them on their journey to where they are now.

 

I've spent a thousand nights

Lost in your emerald eyes

Lost in a place where I know you can see my soul

 

Make me lose track of time

You and your emerald eyes

Finally found a place that I can call my home

 

As the song fades to its end, he gently lifts her chin up and kisses her softly. He pulls back and looks at her, her green eyes deep with love and peace. He doesn’t think he will ever get tired of just looking into her eyes. They were the first thing he noticed about her when they first met. How vibrant they were when she introduced herself and warned him about his desk mate. He has gotten to know a lot about her just by looking into her eyes. They grow dull when she’s upset, the color almost fading as she tries to force a smile. They’re as bright as ever when she’s happy, shining like the stars above them as she tells him about her weekend. He steps back, taking her hand, and gestures to the blanket. As they lay down, her laid up against him with her chin on his shoulder so they can look at each other, he knows he will never get tired of looking into her eyes.

 

Their night consists of hushed whispers and gentle kisses. They tell stories from their childhood, how he wanted to play baseball professionally until he was twelve and how she liked helping her dad build things for the house. They talk about their future, what kind of house they would like to get and would they get any pets. Hours pass of not wanting this night to end, holding onto these moments as tightly as they hold onto each other. As the sky starts to replicate what happened five years ago, slowly growing lighter, they realize they should probably start heading home. Walking hand in hand to the car, she whispers a thank you for the great night. He kisses her before opening the car door for her. As he watches her sit down and lean back against the seat with her eyes closed, exhaustion taking over, he wants nothing more than to make sure he spends the rest of his life with her.

 

A subtle breeze

It's you and me

Chest to chest, no in between

And every moment's better than the last

 

Anything and everything

That I could ever want and need

Is standing right beside me in the grass

 

The warm rays of the sun cut through the cracked open window, a cool November breeze stirring her from her sleep. As she pulls the covers closer, she looks over and sees him sleeping beside her, his arm under her head and around her shoulders. Her smile is nothing but full as she turns to her side and very carefully traces his jaw with her fingertips. She rests her head on his chest, her fingers now very gently tracing circles on his ribs, trying not to wake him but not being able to resist just touching him. She glances down and sees her white dress thrown across the leather chair, his suit in pieces across the floor, the memories of yesterday come flooding back. Ripping her veil, him cutting his tie for her, them running off together, getting married on the boat, her coworkers dancing down the aisle, then getting married again in the church, the toasts during reception, her and Jim’s first dance together as husband and wife, coming back to the hotel room, not being able to keep their hands off of each other until the sun was threatening to come up.

 

She feels him start to wake up after she starts running her fingers down his side. She looks up at him, smiling, and kisses him softly before he’s fully awake. He pulls her closer, to where she is almost on top of him, their chests pressed together, willing no space in between them. His hands wrapped around her bare waist now, and hers around his neck, playing with the ends of his hair.

 

“Good morning, Mrs. Halpert,” he whispers, his voice still deep and raspy with sleep.

“Good morning,” she returns with another kiss.

 

She couldn’t imagine it getting any better than the night he asked her out for dinner. She was in pure bliss, everything was perfect. She was going out with the man she loved, and this time she wasn’t going to let him go.  That first night was good, it was great. But then it just kept getting better. Every day he would surprise her with something, whether it be flowers or a heartfelt compliment, and she would fall further in love. And then he proposed, and she knew that was as full as her heart could get. There was no going forward with how much she loved and adored this man.

 

But, now, as they lay pressed up against one another, sharing gentle touches and loving kisses on the first day of their honeymoon, she feels herself falling deeper into the pit that is Jim Halpert. He is everything she ever thought she needed, plus so much more. If she didn’t feel so safe and secure wrapped in his arms, she would be scared of how much she loved him.

 

The birds they sang a melody

My heart was keeping time and we

Were dancing on the edge of something new

 

Slow at first but still it seems

That we'll go down in history

As lovers from the start just me and you

 

He loved waking up next to her. He loved when he would wake up first, being able to just lay there and watch her chest rise and fall with every breath, hear the occasional, softest snore pass through her lips, and fall more in love with every flutter of her eyelids while she dreamed. He loved when she would wake up first, and he would get to wake up to soft touches against his skin or, even better, soft kisses against his lips. This morning, though, was better than any morning they had ever spent together, because he got to wake up to his wife’s touches and his wife’s kisses. He can’t help but hold her as close as possible, never wanting them to have to separate again.

 

He hears birds chirping outside their hotel room window, the air conditioning turning on, making a humming noise throughout the room, the guests next door turn on their shower. But all of that disappears when their kisses grow more passionate, their touches grow more hurried. Now all he can hear are their heartbeats, and if he listens hard enough, he swears they’re in sync with each other. As they repeat last night’s activities, he can’t help but to think this all feels new somehow. As if the silver bands on their fingers made them into different people. The feeling doesn’t last too long though, as they finish and he holds her tightly against him again, chest to chest once again. Their breathing evens out, and as they whisper “I love you” to each other at the same time, he knows their hearts really are in sync.

 

 

'Cause I've spent a thousand nights

Lost in your emerald eyes

Lost in a place where I know you can see my soul

 

Make me lose track of time

You and your emerald eyes

Finally found a place that I can call my home

 

 

They spend the morning cuddled up together. They don’t seem to want to be anywhere but in each other’s arms, and since their flight to Puerto Rico doesn’t leave until that evening, they figure why fight it. The morning is spent watching TV, ordering room service, sharing kisses. The afternoon is spent between the sheets, trying to prove to one another how much they love them.

 

It’s the after moments that he likes best, though. When their faces are only inches apart and they don’t dare speak unless it’s a quiet “I love you.” He loves watching her eyes look into his, only to dart down to his lips, give him a kiss, then look back into his eyes. He can find nothing but love and patience and kindness in her green eyes. All of her emotions pouring out of them as if this is their last day together, even though it’s only the first of many. He kisses her nose, then her cheeks, then her forehead, before lingering on her lips for a moment. He knows they have to get up soon in order to get ready to go to the airport, he doesn’t know how the day went by so fast, but for now he’s just going to hold onto his wife. He kisses her one last time before adjusting them so he’s behind her, her back to his chest. He moves his hand to rest on her stomach, her bump just now barely becoming visible. He kisses her neck as his thumb rubs back and forth on her stomach, her hand joining his.

 

He loves this moment, them laying here while the afternoon sun shines onto them, the unusually warm November weather floating through the window. He loves that he now gets to call Pam his wife, and she gets to call him her husband. And as much as he loves his right now, his present, he can’t help but think about a few months from now, a smile forming on his lips. As much as he loves calling Pam his wife, he cannot wait until she gets the title of “Mom” too.

 

I've spent a thousand nights

Lost in your emerald eyes

Lost in a place where I know you can see my soul

 

Make me lose track of time

You and your emerald eyes

Finally found a place that I can call my home

 

Cecelia Marie Halpert. Not that he’s biased or anything, but he’s pretty positive that she’s the most perfect baby on this planet. Even six months later, he can’t get enough of her. She looks just like her mother, which he is so happy of. And as if she couldn’t get any more perfect, she even got her mother’s bright green eyes. He held her tight against his chest as she slept, going back and forth as he sat in the rocking chair in their nursery. It’s not until he hears the floorboard creak that he looks up and sees Pam leaning against the doorframe, smiling down at them.

 

“You two look adorable.”

“She gets that from you.”

 

He grins as she rolls her eyes and crosses her arms across her chest, trying to look annoyed but he catches the smile playing at her lips. He carefully stands up, crossing the room to put Cece down in her crib, kissing her forehead before he does so. He watches her sleep for just a second before turning around and focusing on the other green-eyed girl in the room. He walks up to her, wrapping his arms around her as she rests her forehead on his chest, and he kisses the top of her head. He lifts her chin so he can look into those eyes that he loves so much.

 

“Thank you again.”

“For what?”

“For giving me the best gift anyone could ever ask for. She’s perfect.”

“She gets it from her father.”

 

Now it’s his turn to roll his eyes, though he doesn’t try to hide his smile. He turns them around so he’s hugging her from behind, arms around her waist, looking down at Cece. Pam lays one hand on his arms, the other on the railing of the crib. They stay like that for a few minutes, whispering their love to each other and to Cece as they watch her sleep.

 

He stands up a little straighter, suddenly very proud of his little family. He always hoped this would be his future, ever since he started work at Dunder Mifflin. He hoped with everything inside of him that one day the moment he was currently in would be a reality. That Pam would love him, would be his wife, be the mother of his children. Sometimes he still can’t believe that she chose him. He was so happy that their souls finally connected, that they found each other even after being lost for some time. He starts to kiss her neck, pulling her backwards and out of the nursery, towards their own bedroom.

 

As they land on their bed, hands and mouths intertwined with one another, they sigh with a little bit of relief. After years of heartbreak, desperation, longing, and hope, they finally found their home within each other.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

I watched Niagara today, so I was in the mood for some extra fluff in my life. I hope you all liked it! Reviews are appreciated, they make my day!

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5742