One Wish for the Holidays by Robert Dunder
Summary:

Jim makes a wish and it goes terribly for him.

Set during Moroccan Christmas (Season 5)

Submitted for the 2021 Secret Santa Fic Exchange! 


Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: Angela, Dwight, Katy, Michael, Phyllis, Toby
Genres: Fluff, Holiday, Humor, Romance
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2021
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 4925 Read: 3041 Published: December 27, 2021 Updated: December 27, 2021
Story Notes:

I wanted to submit this before Christmas but I have admittedly been struggling to get myself into a writing zone.

Thank you to my Secret Santa! That was a very interesting recipe.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. 

1. 5PM by Robert Dunder

2. 6PM by Robert Dunder

3. 7PM by Robert Dunder

4. 8PM by Robert Dunder

5. 9PM by Robert Dunder

5PM by Robert Dunder

"I will grant you one wish," Jim told Pam as he continuously rubbed an antique golden lamp in a seductive manner.


"I wish that you'd stop rubbing that lamp in that creepy way," Pam replied.


"Stupid. Everyone knows to ask for a hundred more wishes."


"I don't need a hundred wishes as long as you stop rubbing the lamp. You're going to give me nightmares with that face."


"Oh come on," he stopped toying with the lamp and placed it on her desk, "I thought you liked that face. I'm pretty sure I've made that face that time you wanted me to dress up as a lumberjack and—"


"Oh my God. Shut up," she swatted him repeatedly on the arm, panicking at the thought of someone overhearing them. She was initially annoyed but couldn't help but smile back when he started giving grinning goofily at her. After a few seconds of silence, Pam took the lamp into her hand, "Okay, Halpert. My turn. I will grant you three wishes."


"Wow, that's pretty generous of you. Will you also rub the lamp the way I did it?"


"Like this?" she mimicked the way Jim rubbed the lamp but stopped midway upon getting a dirty look from a passing Angela, "She seems to be in a very jolly mood."


"Maybe she's stressed from deciding which of her cats would be her maid of honor. I'm pretty sure Muffin wasn't be too thrilled to find out that Marshmallow had been sucking up to Angela so she'd get the spot."


"How do you know the names of her cats?" she gave him a suspicious look.


"I don't," he smirked back at her, "I just figured since there was.a Sprinkles, she probably named her cats after food. What do you think?"


"I think we're spending too much time talking about Angela's cats when we're supposed to be talking about your Christmas wish."


"Oh right. Hmm," he stroked his chin repeatedly, narrowing his eyes at her while thinking of an answer. Eventually, he raised his finger in excitement and exclaimed, "I got it!"


"That took you long enough. What are you wishing for?"

"Okay, I wish for something crazy to happen at this Christmas party every hour."


"I don't think you need a genie for that happen," she pointed her head towards the conference room where Michael had been serving alcohol to Meredith for the past thirty minutes, "ten bucks says Michael will get everyone hammered by six."


"That's what she said," Jim let out with a chuckle. As they continued joking around at reception, he suddenly heard a familiar tune being sung in an eerie manner.


"I have no gift to bring pa rum pum pum pum." 


He turned around to see Dwight walking by with a Princess Unicorn doll in hand, "You okay there, Dwight?"


"What?" he said almost defensively, "I'm trying to get into the spirit of today's festivities."


"Well, it doesn't sound very happy. Plus, it's not really in line with the Moroccan theme."


"Well, do you know any Moroccan Christmas songs that I can sing to, Jim? Can you teach me how to play the sitar so I can conform to whatever standards you have for this already godawful party?" Dwight snorted before turning to Pam, "good luck marrying this idiot."

"Merry Christmas to you too, Dwight," she was only met with a glare before he turned around. as soon as he was out of their sight, she quickly told Jim, "what's with him today?"


"He's probably still annoyed that I replaced his desk with gift wrap," he shrugged, "anyway, I still have some work to get done. See you later?"

"Alright, see you later," he gave her a quick kiss on the lips before walking back to his desk.


6PM by Robert Dunder

"So anything crazy happen yet?" she asked as she walked towards Jim desks with two drinks in hand.


"Not really, unless you count Creed showing up to work as Santa Claus but that's not really anything out of the ordinary," he sighed before smiling at her, "maybe this lamp doesn't have a genie in it. Maybe if I rub it a bit more, it'll—"


"I have no gift to bring pa rum pum pum pum." 


"Hold on one second," he said before turning his chair to face Dwight, "do you have to keep singing that?"


"Aww, is little Jimmy getting fussy? Is he going to cry about my singing to his fiancee?" Dwight then tossed a five dollar bill at him, "Here, I have some bills to spare thanks to the fortune I'm making from these idiotic parents. You can use that to wipe away those pesky tears."


Annoyed, Jim crumpled the bill and threw it at his face before turning back to Pam, "Okay, now where were we? Oh yeah, what if I just rub it— Oh my God, Katy?"


"Katy?" she looked behind her and was just as shocked as Jim upon seeing his ex-girlfriend coming towards them. Trailing behind her was an amused Toby.


"Hi Pam," she went it for a tight hug as if Pam was her best friend that she hadn't seen in forever, "it's so nice to see you again. You too, Jim."


"What are you doing here?" she asked and looked over to Jim, who was staring at the ground either in shock or embarrassment. She subtly kicked him in the shin, which seemed brought him back to his senses.


"It was so weird," Toby answered, "I was buying water at the grocery for everyone since Michael spiked the dispenser with vodka and I ran into Katy here. Then we talked for a bit and she had nothing to do today so I invited her to the party. I hope Michael doesn't mind that I brought a plus one though."


"It's so great seeing everyone again. I haven't any of you in like— Oh my God, look at that thing," she held Pam's hand and examined the ring on her finger, "did Roy finally buy you a bigger engagement ring. I told you if you bugged him, he'll get you something better than the one you got."


"Oh, it's—"


"But where's your wedding ring?" she interrupted before Pam got to explain that she was engaged to Jim, "Did you lose it in the dishwasher or during your honeymoon? Ugh, that is the worst. My sister literally had the same thing happen to her. It was during August and—"


"Oh my God. Katy, is that you?" Michael screamed from the conference room and rushed to where they were, "It's been like what, three years?"

"Yeah!" Katy replied, "I haven't seen any of you since the booze cruise when… well, I'm sure you guys know what happened."


She gently placed a hand on Jim's shoulder which caused him to stand up and awkwardly pace back and forth behind a snickering Dwight. Upon seeing Pam glare at him with such fierce intensity, he stopped laughing and turned his attention to his computer screen.


"Well, you look really beautiful," Michael continued, "so why'd you drop by back into the arms of our ever loving family? Did you come back for Jim?"


"Michael!" Jim raised his voice at him.


"Oh, it's fine Jim. Don't worry about it," Katy let out a flirtatious giggle which did not escape Pam's attention, "I actually ran into Toby here and—"


"Ick, no just no, just…," Michael made multiple gagging noises before continuing, "you cannot spend Christmas with this-- this vile devil child. Did you know he's the reason why the love of my life left Scranton? I bet he didn't tell you that, huh?"


"Michael we all know that's not—"


"We all know you told David Wallace about our relationship and you just went out there and ruined it. Ruined it," he exhaled loudly as if to calm himself, "you know what. You are ruining everyone's spirits just by being here so why don't you just stay in the annex for the rest of the night?"


As Toby silently headed towards the kitchen door without much resistance, Michael turned his attention to Katy, "now then, let's get on with the party shall we? I'm sure you could use a drink. Why don't I show you to my drinks station?"


"Oh alright, I really could use a drink. I'll see you later?" Katy was facing Jim and Pam when she spoke but it was apparent to both of them whom she was addressing when said 'I'll see you later'


"Oh my God, that was so funny" Pam chuckled as she walked back to her desk.


"You know, for someone who just witnessed her fiancee's ex-girlfriend openly flirting with him, you seem to be taking this really well," he said as followed her.


"I'm just really surprised she has no idea you're engaged. You didn't tell her?"

"I haven't spoken with her since we broke up. I don't even have her number. We didn't exactly end on good terms, remember?"


"Yeah, I remember. Well, Jim. You're the one who wished for something crazy to happen every hour so good luck getting yourself out of this."


"Come on, are you serious? You're not even gonna help me? And you know that's just a bunch of crap right? Katy coming here is just an insane coincidence."


"We'll see about that," she grinned, "I may be leaving this party single. Maybe that's one of the crazy things that'll happen."


"Beesly, that's not funny. Come on," he leaned into her and gave her a tender kiss. She kissed him back and enjoyed every second of it before hearing an obviously judgmental cough coming from the accountant's corner. She stopped and looked at his smiling face, "you think there's a chance Katy also saw us?"


"Nope. You're gonna have to clear things up with her before the night ends."


"Maybe I can just sneak up on the roof and wait for her to leave? Maybe you can keep me company there?" he then whispered into her ear, "I could use some private alone time with you."


"Well, Mr. Halpert. As fun as getting naughty in a public place with you sounds… I'm really enjoying seeing you squirm," she whispered back before kissing him on the cheek.

"You are so evil."


7PM by Robert Dunder

"That is vodka and I mixed it with orange juice. I call it an orange-vod-juice…ka."


"Wow, that is delicious," Jim said upon tasting Michael's concoction, "can't believe no one's thought of that."


"Yeah," Michael said, the sarcasm in Jim's statement seemingly evading him, "so how are you enjoying the party?"


"Oh, it's really fun. I'm loving the whole Moroccan thing. Umm, can I talk to you about something?"


"Yeah, man. Of course, you can tell me anything. Is it about Pam? Are you having trouble performing because I've experienced that multiple times with Jan. You see the trick is—"


"Okay, no," Jim immediately stopped him lest he should say something that his brain would not be able to handle, "it's about Katy actually."


"Oh, did you see how hot she looked?"


"Michael…."


"And she seems like a really adventurous girl. You've had sex with her, right? Is she better than Pam? Does she do things that you thought you wouldn't like but end up enjoying?"

"I am not going to answer any of those questions. Look, Michael. I just wanted to ask if you told her I was engaged."

"To Pam?"

"No, funnily enough, I gave Karen a quick call a while ago and proposed to her right then and there. I leave for Utica tomorrow."


"Really? You're leaving for Utica and you didn't tell me?" the way he asked his question was so earnest that it almost broke Jim's heart at how gullible he truly was.


"No, Michael. I was just kidding. Anyway, did you did you tell Katy that I'm engaged to Pam?"


"Nope. I did not tell her. Wait, Katy doesn't know?"


"No, unfortunately it didn't cross my mind to tell my ex-girlfriend that I had not spoken to in three years that I'm engaged."


"Wow, that is so weird that she went to this party. Isn't that a strange coincidence?"


"Yeah, it is," Jim sighed and finished the contents of his drink. He handed the cup back to Michael, who in turn gave him another one.


"You know, it finally makes sense now. When Katy was here, she kept asking me about you and I said you were doing really good. I even told her that you bought your parents house. Then I found out she's single and then she asked if you were dating anyone. And I thought to myself, 'Well, he's engaged to Pam. It would be so weird if he was dating someone on the side.'"


"And you didn't think to tell that to her?" he could feel himself getting frustrated but couldn't blame Michael who had been blissfully unaware of the situation.


"I just thought she was acting weird," he explained, "wow, you should probably clear things up with her right?"


"Wow, I definitely did not think about that," the sarcasm was once again clear in his voice, "I'll make sure to talk to her. Thanks, Michael."


"You are welcome my good sir."


He kept himself from groaning at him as he left Michael's station. He searched around the room for Katy, knowing that he had to finally tell her about his engagement, but could not seem to find her. As he continued looking, he came across a familiar tune, one that he had been hearing in the past two hours.


"I have no gift to bring pa rum pum pum pum." 


"Dwight…" he glared at his co-worker who had just gone inside the conference room to get a drink, "Come on, really?"


"What? I can't think of any other songs, Jim."

"Jingle Bells, Let It Snow, White Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Do you want me to keep going?"

"Wow, great job Jim," he gave him a mocking slow clap, "thanks for providing me with songs for kindergarteners. I'm sure your mommy and daddy are so proud of you."


"I also learned 'The Little Drummer Boy' when I was in kindergarten," he mumbled out and looked at Dwight as if he had a lightbulb moment, "hey, can you help me out with something?"


"I refuse to help you with anything," Dwight said, "but continue."


"When Katy comes over, do you think you can maybe mention to her that I'm already engaged?"


"Why can't you tell her yourself?" he asked.


"I will. I just need someone to get the ball rolling," he scratched his head, feeling embarrassed to be asking Dwight of all people to get him out of a situation, "so will you help me?"

"Of course, Jim," a wide smile was suddenly plastered on his face, "I'll do anything to help out my favorite little buddy."


"Great?" he wondered if Dwight was actually being sincere but had not time to contemplate as he saw Katy entering the room, "Okay, here she comes."


"Hey Jim," he could smell the alcohol in her breath as she spoke, "I've been meaning to talk to you. Are you busy?"


"Umm, no not really. But I think Dwight was about to tell me something. What was it again?"


"Oh yeah," Dwight stared at him for a few seconds before speaking up, "Jim wanted me to tell you that he thinks you look beautiful tonight. I'm not sure why he couldn't tell you himself."


"What?" he pursed his lips at Dwight who was clearly reveling at getting some sweet revenge on his frenemy, "Are you sure that's what you wanted to say, Dwight?"


"Yes, that's what I clearly remember you telling me. Anyway, I'll leave you two alone. I have other matters to attend to. Hey, Katy. By the way, do you have any daughters or nieces interested in a Princess Unicorn doll?"


"Oh no, sorry. They're not really a fan of the horns."


"Ugh, typical. Anyway, I think the two of you have some catching up to do," he said before leaving, purposely ignoring Jim's continued pleas to stay. 


Giving up on trying to convince Dwight to help him, he faced Katy once more. As he continued awkwardly looking at her, memories of the booze cruise suddenly resurfaced in his brain. He remembered watching Pam on the dance floor with Roy, wishing it was him she was sharing the moment with. He was too heartbroken that night to even realize how brutal the way he ended things with Katy was. 


"I don't know. Let's break up." 


Those six words completely took her by surprise and he could tell that she was willing herself not to slap him. It was an awkward night for both of them as it was another hour in the ship and a thirty minute car ride home before they could officially go their separate ways. He completely understood if she never wanted to speak to him again. 


"Do you want to sit down?" she asked.


"Umm, yeah sure," the first thing that he noticed when he led him to a spot with two empty chairs was that she held his hand in doing so. Instinctively, he searched around the room for Pam whom he hoped was not getting the wrong idea. While she had just told him how she enjoyed seeing him uncomfortable, he also knew Katy could unknowingly do something that would upset her. Eventually, he saw her having a casual conversation with Phyllis. He was initially unsure if she was witnessing what was happening to him but then he saw her take a quick glance at him before stifling back laughter.


"Is she okay?" Katy pointed to Meredith who had been dancing non-stop by herself, "I think she's had too much to drink."


"Nah, she'll be fine," he said, "she's always drunk in every party. What about you?"


"Oh, I'm fine. Maybe I've had a bit too much too," she smiled at him before pushing back his hair with his hand, "it's really nice getting to see you again."


"Really?" he cocked an eyebrow at her, "Because we didn't really end on a good note."


"Yeah, I know that. And you know when Toby invited me, I wasn't sure if I was ready to see you since you were such a dick to me that night. But seeing you again, I just remembered how much fun we had and..."


"Umm," he looked away when he felt her palm on his hand. He then looked over once more to his fiancee who was clearly seeing Katy flirting with him. He signaled for her to hurry over to him but she simply shrugged and went back to talking to Phyllis. Frustrated, he swiped his hand away and took a deep breath, "hey I need to tell you something."


"What is it?"

"Well, I should probably tell you… umm,  you should know that I'm—"


"Oh my God! Your friend is on fire!"


Jim immediately looked beside him and saw Meredith still dancing, unaware of the flame that had caught on her hair, "Oh my God. Meredith, you're on fire!"


"What?" she slurred out.


"We got a live one!" Dwight rushed in with a fire extinguisher and immediately put out the growing flame which caused Meredith to tumble over.


"I'm okay!" she screamed to everyone.


"Damn it, Meredith," Jim groaned out in frustration before turning to Katy, "hey listen. I was about to tell you that I'm—"


"Wait, I think she needs some towels. I'll go grab some," she immediately stood up and Jim looked up at the ceiling, annoyed at missing the chance to tell Katy the truth.


"That's really crazy," Phyllis told Pam as they watched Dwight unnecessarily perform CPR on Meredith, "we've never had a fire at.a party before."


"I know. It's crazy, right?" Pam replied, the thought of Jim's wish not escaping her mind..


"By the way, is it just me or has Katy been flirting with Jim?"


"Really?" Pam feigned shock, "I didn't seem to notice."


"Wow, I mean it's painfully obvious. You should make sure she knows her place. That's what I did with Bob's secretary."


"Eh," she shrugged, "I'm sure Jim and I will be fine."

8PM by Robert Dunder

"They've been in there for 45 minutes," Jim told Pam as they watched Meredith and Michael talk in the office.


"I know. If she wasn't an alcoholic before, she is now," she said earning a chuckle from Jim, "so how's your little assignment going?"


"You have to help me," he pleaded with her, "it's like every time I try to tell her, something crazy always happens."


"Maybe you're not trying hard enough," she joked, "you are kind of a slacker."


"Pam, I literally tried telling her an hour ago and Meredith was suddenly on fire and then I tried to tell her after that but Michael suddenly decided to do an intervention. I tried to whisper it to her during the intervention but she just went on and on about the time she went on spring break with her college friends. I don't think she even knew we were having an intervention. It's just so—"


And then he heard it again.


"I have no gift to bring pa rum pum pum pum." 


"Dwight! Enough with the goddamn song already," Pam could feel Jim getting stressed out by the way he raised his voice. Feeling bad for not being of any help to his situation, she rubbed him gently on the arm.


"Hey, come on baby. You're lashing out at Dwight for no reason."


"Yes, little Jimmy," Dwight continued to mock him, "I'm just singing this little song to myself. Geez, if I knew this was all it took to get you riled up, I would have done this years ago."


After shooting Dwight a death glare, she nudged Jim in the arm and said, "Let's go. We'll tell her together."


Breathing a sigh of relief, Jim kissed Pam on the forehead before standing up and heading for the kitchen door. At that time, they passed by Angela and Phyllis who were in a middle of an argument. It seemed that their party-planning related feud had reached its boiling point. Seeing it as none of their concern, they continued walking and before they could reach the door, they ran into a fuming Katy.


"Hey, what happened?" Pam asked in concern.


"Oh my God, I was just catching up with Toby back in the annex since I felt bad for him. And then his hand started rubbing my knee! I mean, who does that?!"


Jim and Pam stared at each other, thinking about the same incident that occurred when they got locked outside the office.


"Anyway, I think I just need another drink. Jim, we should go to Poor Richard's. You should come with us too, Pam. When is Roy coming?"


"Oh," Pam said, "I should probably tell you that—"


"Angela's having sex with Dwight!" they all heard Phyllis scream. Upon turning around, they saw Angela dead in her tracks, "I caught them doing it after Toby's going away party."


"Well, don't look so surprised," Dwight addressed everyone staring at him.


Jim looked down on the ground in defeat, having missed another chance to tell Katy when all of a sudden, he heard Pam shout out, "Jim and I are engaged!"


Jim lifted his head up and saw Katy looking stunned by the announcement. He felt Pam interlacing her fingers with his and he couldn't help but let out a huge smile.


"We know Pam," Stanley said without taking his eyes off his crossword puzzle, "Jim told us months ago."


"Oh, I just thought you should all know again… for some reason."


"Oh, you guys are engaged?" Katy asked, the shock in her face still evident.


"Yeah, we've been dating for some time now and well, I proposed to her two months ago. Look, I'm sorry. We really did try telling you and—"


"Oh, no. It's okay… it's just…congratulations!" she extended her arms and gave Pam a tight yet awkward hug before doing the same to Jim, "I'm sooooo happy for the two of you."


"Thank you," Jim said with a sheepish smile, "I really hope we didn't take you by surprise."


"Oh no, not at all. Not at all. I'm really happy for the two of you. I think I said that already?" she took out her phone and started typing, "Oh my God. My friend had a food related emergency. I need to pick her up from the ER. Rain check on Poor Richard's?"

"Yeah, of course," Pam said, "I hope your friend's okay."


After saying her goodbyes, Katy grabbed her coat from reception and left the office. Jim then wrapped her arms around Pam's waist and gave her the most passionate kiss that he could.


"There's no mistletoe above us."


"I know… I just love you so much," he said before leaning in for another kiss.


9PM by Robert Dunder

"That was a crazy night," Pam said as they rode the elevator hand in hand.


"That's a very big understatement," Jim kissed her on the forehead. Upon exiting the building, he could see Pam's eyes beaming with glee upon seeing a two horses carrying a red sleigh decorated with Christmas lights coming towards them. At the driver's seat was a stone-faced Dwight.


"Oh my God," Pam could barely utter out, "what is this?"


"Well, I wanted something crazy to happen tonight. So how about we take a stroll around the city… or however far Dwight can take us."


"Already taken care of," Dwight said, "we can take an approved route going to Schrute Farms and from there, you can watch the most beautiful fireworks display while enjoying a glass of our very famous beet wine."


"You did this all for me?" she looked up at Jim and couldn't be more in love with the man in front of him.


"And it cost him a fortune," Dwight interrupted once more, "good luck finding a nice school for your children."


"Thanks Dwight," Jim then let go of her hand and opened the carriage door, "shall we begin the trip milady?"


It didn't take long for Pam to fall asleep on Jim's shoulder. Not that he complained. He never stopped loving it since the first time it happened four years ago. It was even more beautiful now that they were quietly strolling along the streets of Dunder Mifflin with Dwight humming to the tune of his favorite Christmas song.


"I have no gift to bring pa rum pum pum pum." 


"Hey, Dwight."


"Yeah?" he looked behind him, anticipating to get chastised once more for his singing.


"Merry Christmas. I'm sure things will work out with Angela in the end."


"Okay, whatever. And I'm sure you'll be in debt this year thanks to that stupid investment on your house. Merry Christmas, idiot," he mocked him again. Unbeknownst to Jim, he let out a huge smile as he continued navigating the horses to his farm.


Upon arrival, Dwight with the help of Mose, untied the horses from their sleigh and left the couple be in order to prepare the fireworks. Jim quietly looked up at the glowing moon, thankful for every moment that he had with Pam. It was not an easy ride for either of them, but having her beside him peacefully asleep on his shoulder made it all worth it and he couldn't wait for the day that he would call her his wife.


He gently placed her lips on her forehead, something that he always loved to do to wake her up, and he watched her slowly open her eyes.


"Did I fall asleep?"


"Yeah."


"Are we at the farm already?"


"Yeah."


"Was I snoring?


"Yeah."


"Really?" she narrowed her eyes at him.


"No," he laughed, "but I'd still love you even if you did."


"Good, because I still love you even though you snore like a gorilla."


"Oh, come on. That was one time."


"It's every time, Jim."


She snuggled in closer to him and he wrapped his arm around her. Eventually, the first set of fireworks shot up the sky and it was a beautiful display. Jim had been surprised throughout the entire night, but Pam had to admit that he still had his own way of surprising her even to this day. 


"Merry Christmas, Jim," she excitedly gave him a kiss which he returned with the same intensity, "I love you."


"I love you more."

 

"Not possible."


End Notes:

My recipe:

Moroccan Christmas and getting wishes

A misunderstanding

Toby

an ER visit 

a horse drawn sleigh (There has to be at least one crazy one, right?

Ex-gf or ex-bf

a song/carol played over and over

 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=6112