A Good Year by JamGirl
Summary: Picks up after the Merger, January 2007 to be exact. Will our heroes get together? Overall about 12 chapters, one per month. Let me know how I'm doing, this is the first fic I've ever done.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Future Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Angst, Drunk Pam/Jim, Fluff, Holiday, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Adult language, Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5768 Read: 6756 Published: November 20, 2006 Updated: November 25, 2006

1. January by JamGirl

2. February by JamGirl

3. March by JamGirl

January by JamGirl
Author's Notes:

This is the first of potentially 12 chapters. I hope it doesn't suck. This first may ramble, I hope not, we'll see. If you like tell me please! If not I want to know that too.

Things in bracets are what the characters are saying to the cameras

Disclaimer: I own one thing in this world, and if you were to guess "The Office" and all things associated with it, I'd tell you you were wrong.

"Michael, what is this?" Stanley's monotone voice carried though the conference room.

"Ah, glad you asked. Welcome to Rockin' into '07: Part Deux, we're turning the office into par-tay central, we got streamers, music, strobe lights, we have it all"

"Part Deux?" Stanley was exasperated.

"You did not contact your party planning committee, how can you trust the outcome?" Angela became slightly irritated.

"Because, Angela, I was his partner in crime, and it. Will. Rock. Hard." Andy emphasized the last three words, trying to make a point.

[Angela: Such behavior would never fly in the Martin family. This is exactly why our family Christmas party is planned 11 months in advanced. In promptu activities are just begging for disaster.]

As Andy began handing out construction paper hats that read How Hard Can YOU Rock? Pam was beginning to get irritated with the situation. She couldn't find the humor in things that much anymore, ever since Jim came back.

"OK, thank you Andy, these hats are what we've been missing. Now let's really bring in the holiday spirit." Michael said proudly displaying his new hat, as he lifts 2 bottles of vodka. Meredith mouths "awesome"

Jim had held his tongue long enough. It was a little odd that he was bringing out alcohol at 11 in the morning, "Hey, uh, Michael, exactly what New Year are we celebrating?"

"Uh, hello-o Jim, the world's New Year, it happens every year."

"That New Year was 27 days ago" Karen chimed in as Jim slightly elbowed her side in encouragement.

[Pam: You know I really thought Michael was done with his after-thought parties. You should have been here for Groundhog Day: Take 2]

"Uh, fine. It's Chinese New Year. We'll celebrate our diversity."

"But Michael, Chinese New Year is on the..." Toby began to say before Michael rudely interrupted him.

"Shut. Just shut it Toby, you're not Chinese how would you know."

"It's on the calendar, it's on every calendar"

"You know what, give Andy back the hat, and I want you to leave. You are making me sick." Toby leaves without a word, "Alright, Pamela, I have a major task for you, I want you to read out the party activities"

"But Michael, there is a lot of work to be done here, I don't think that planned activities are such a good id.." Pam was cut off.

"You know what Pam, we've all dealt with you being a party pooper since the merge, it's time you let loose. Here" and he hands her a shot.

Pam looked at him as if she would live her dream, slap him, quit and storm out. But something stopped her, she looked around the room seeing everyone's reaction. Everyone was staring at her with the sympathy, even Dwight, who had slowly begun to disagree with Michael's activities out of pure disgust towards Andy. But that wasn't the most shocking thing to her, it was when she glanced at Jim, who in the past would have been the most sympathetic of them all, and saw him laughing with Karen. That's all Pam needed. "Ok, fine give me the shot" and Pam downed a double shot of vodka at 11:15 am.

"That's my girl! Now, lets let everyone know about the activities."

Pam began to read Michael and Andy's list, "OK, Noon: Lunch/Dance, ladies choice. Music by Kevin?"

[Kevin: I found out about it last night, Michael asked if I'd Dee Jay. I didn't say no. I'm hoping to spread more buzz about Scrantonicity]

"2:00: karaoke: the duets" Pam couldn't believe she had to read this. When she looked up she noticed Karen and Jim. Karen and Jim had always seemed to find themselves sitting next to each other in the corner. Pam had begun noticing this the day after he got back. It was like Jim had replaced her with this new girl. Every time Pam glanced over at Jim he was with her. She didn't hate her she hated the idea of her. Pam knew it was crazy but she felt like he was cheating on her. And because of that she felt like a fourth grader giving a report on bees in front of her class. But she snapped out of it and continued, "3:30: Special Performance, 4:30: Count down to '07."

"See Pam, that wasn't so hard, now who is ready to rock hard?" Michael asks the crowd; Andy and Kevin seem to be the only ones to raise their hand.

Before they could "rock" Michael had told everyone to go back to work until it was time for the lunch dance. At exactly noon, the lights flickered off and the strob lights began. Out of nowhere Michael and Andy collectively began to jump up and down the music Kevin was blasting. For awhile they were the only ones getting into the party, but the alcohol table was very popular.

Pam had parked herself in front of the spiked punch bowl, she did have to hand it to Michael and Andy, they did seem to have everything planned out, as she poured her 3rd glass wondering how that all even got there. Just then she heard a deep voice and a brush against her arm, Jim.

"You know Beesly, you are missing out on so much fun over here being a wallflower, plus I hear this punch is spiked."

Startled, she jumps a bit, "I'm more like a chaperone than a wallflower," she bagan as she noticed Jim pouring two glasses, "And I do know it's spiked, but you, what are you double fisting?"

Awkwardly, Jim looked down, "Uh no, I was, just getting, this for, um, Karen, I figure save her a trip," saying it as if Pam was oblivious to his relationship with Karen. He knew she knew he was seeing someone, but hoped she didn't know it was Karen. But of course she knew, she was good at those things.

"Ahh, that was nice of you, but if you don't mind, I have some chaperoning to do." and just turned around.

As Jim walked away he felt guilty for getting Karen a drink. Are you seriously letting Pam get to you, it's just a drink, she doesn't know. Yea, right. Keep telling yourself that. His thoughts were interrupted by Karen's toothy grin as she leaned up to thank him.

"Hey, I was thinking you and I should meet back in the break room, you know it is New Years: Part Deux, and it's that rule that you have to kiss someone at 4:30." Karen let her lips linger close to Jim's ears, trying to entice him.

Jim looked over at a very visibly intoxicated Pam "chaperoning" this ridiculous party. For a minute he felt bad for Pam, as she dropped her head down, it was a real pathetic site. Halpert, knock it off man, Pam doesn't want to that way, I'm sure she's just upset about something else, and you can just ask her later what's wrong. Karen. Likes. You. Pam is just a friend. You moron stop looking at her. His thoughts ended and looked down at Karen and smiled, "Oh, I'll be there."

Pam was told to round the "troops" for the final activity. It was bumped up a bit because it turns out no one likes karaoke as much as Michael believed. So instead he turned it into bad impression comedy hour, or so she named it. Pam was dreading this part all day, she just wanted to leave. Her 6 glasses of spiked punch had really got to her. As soon as Michael started the count down, Pam felt like she was about to throw up.

10

Where was Jim?

9

Karen is gone too, that's no surprise

8

I need some water; getting drunk won’t solve my problems

7

“I’m just going to go to the vending machine”

6

“Your loss Pam, we could have kissed” Michael yelled toward her.

5

Pam sees people in the break room, but doesn't make the connection

4

She reaches toward the handle

3

Slowly turns

2

Pam yells, "Oh, my God, I'm so... Jim!?"

1

Jim and Karen's lips break and Pam feels a tear shed, she had known all along that they had been together, but it was never actually admitted, but he told her he was seeing someone, just not Karen. Up until this point Pam could only assume is was Karen and dislike her, but now, now she saw, she really saw. All Pam can do is shut the door and leave. She wants to block out the memory of that kiss, that kiss that should have been with her, not Karen. It sobered her for a minute before she realized she was slightly drunk and ran outside forgetting her coat.

Ten minutes later Pam hears a door shut and a tall figure walk toward her. It was Jim.

"Hey Jim, listen, I didn't mean to walk in on you guys, I was just trying to get a bottle of water, and I really..."

"Oh, no that's OK, here I saw you were coatless," Jim hands her her puffy white coat and she puts it on, " I guess I should have been more specific when I said I was kinda seeing someone."

"Yea, probably."

"The thing is, Karen and I want to keep it private, mostly because I know how Michael acts in these sort of situations, plus I don’t want to be the next Ryan and Kelly," he tries to make a little joke, but it goes unnoticed.

"Oh yea, no, I just wish you would have told me, you know, I hate that we don't tell each other things anymore, I feel like I lost you."

"Don't worry Pam, you'll never lose me, you said it yourself, we'll always be friends." Even as he said it a part of him felt sad, he knew he wanted more if she offered, but she didn't, and really believed she never would. "I know you've been a little friendly with the vodka today, how about I drive you home, we can catch up. I don’t want to see you out in the cold."

"Thanks, Jim, but shouldn't you be getting back to your girlfriend," that word rang in her head over and over, he has someone, how quickly roles were reversed.

"No, she's totally cool with it, I told her when I came out that I wanted to make sure you got home OK."

Pam reluctantly agreed, "I guess, I mean I obviously can't drive myself. But do you mind if we stop at the gas station, I probably should get some coffee in my system."

"Sure, no problem. Hey and on the way we can talk about why you decided to start drinking so early in the day, Meredith."

"Hey, I had my reasons, how else would I have dealt with this day?"

"You're right Beesly, you really did rock into '07."

"You know it."

Jim opened the passenger door to let Pam in, she couldn't believe how sweet he was being to her, and she began to think that they were hopeless. Somehow she would change his mind back. She had to. It's was Jim for crying out loud! She hated not being Jim and Pam, and she had to fight for it. At that moment it all clicked. She'd win him back. As she thought, Pam had a huge smiled on her face. Why she really didn't know, but she finally felt like she was ready for whatever came. Jim noticed her change in demeanor and asked what was going on.

"Oh nothing, I just have a feeling 2007 is going to be a good year."

February by JamGirl
Author's Notes:

Good old fashioned fun at Valentine's Day in Dunder Mifflin!

Disclaimer: I own one thing, and if you were to guess "The Office" or anything associated with it, you'd be wrong. 

“Attention in the Office!” Michael busts through his office door excited about what he has in store.

Pam had just sat at here desk ready to log onto her computer when she heard Michael. She can’t remember a time when yelling wasn’t involved in the morning greeting Michael had given every day of her employ. Some were actually normal ‘good morning’s’, but on some occasions he decided urgency was the best decision. Pam rolled her eyes to look over at Michael who had made his way over to her desk.

“On account of the holiday, there will be a special meeting in the conference room in about 5 minutes, so just hurry up.”

“Question: will this take long, I have a very important meeting,” as he said this, his eyes traveled over to Angela’s empty desk, “Can I perhaps skip this group meeting and catch up on the minutes later?”

“No, Dwight, this is a group activity. We must bring all together on this day of love, because when you love, you are together, and when you are together, you are happy.”

As everyone slowly piled their way into the conference room, they were greeted by the dry erase board boasting huge letters reading “Office of Love”, in red, naturally.

“Welcome to the Office of Love!” Michael seemed so proud of what he was about to say. “You may ask yourself, what is Office of Love? Well I will tell you. Office of Love is a competition.” Karen and Jim give each other a quizzical look from their little corner.

[Michael: Office of Love? Yea, totally my brainchild. I was sitting around the condo last night thinking of ways to improve togetherness for the folks of Dunder Mifflin, when it came to me. Competition. What can bring so many people together more than a friendly little office competition. It’s heartwarming, really.]

“You may ask yourself, why are their so many empty boxes and sheets of colorful paper?”

Pam couldn’t resist, this was too much, so she turned toward Jim who she had luckily grabbed a seat next to and whispered, “You may ask yourself, how did I get here?” quoting the Talking Heads. Jim smiled and let out a little chuckle.

“We are all going back to second grade today. Each of you will decorate your own personal valentine box, this is so everyone has a chance.”

“I am not wasting my time on that,” Stanley got up and left

“Fine, Stanley’s out, everyone else, decorate your box, next, and this is the important part, you will make five and only five valentines. You give them to the five people you find the most important to you. The person at the end of the day with the most valentines wins.”

“Michael, I thought everyone gave everyone a valentine.” Phyllis sweetly chimed in.

“I don’t know what school you went to but at my school, we lived in the real world, you had to fight for your milk, it was brutal.”

“But we went to the same school,” Phyllis added.

“Ugh, fine. You were a girl, it was different,” Michael responded emphasizing were for some reason, “Let’s get cracken!”

Pam actually liked this idea for once, aside from the fact people would be left out. She was just happy she got to use some creativity in the office for once. She went to decorating right away, making a lovely pink and red box. Then she went for the valentines, she knew exactly one person who she wanted to give to but had no idea what to draw. As she sat thinking, Pam was interrupted by the flower guy. This year didn’t bother her that she wasn’t going to get anything, until this particular delivery.

“Flowers for a Karen Filipelli?” the man called out as Pam stood dejected.

“Uh, yea. That’s me.” Karen replied, looking confused. She walked them over to her desk and sat down with a smile. She sheepishly looked over at Jim who gave her an approving smile and a wink. She started to blush. Pam saw this interaction.

[Pam: Does it bother me about Jim and Karen? No, that’s old news. Plus I’m starting to like her. She’s very sweet, and she makes him happy. She deserved the flowers; I mean Jim must be a good boyfriend. I just hope she doesn’t choke on them by accident.]

During lunch time Pam and Jim found themselves alone in the kitchen talking about how silly the valentine card game was.

“I really never had that great of an experience with Valentines Day,” Jim had begun to tell her. “It was always so pointless to me, I mean it’s just a day, why can’t you let people know you care about them. Plus I never liked getting valentines.”

“Oh, come on Jim, there has to be some good memory about Valentines Day.”

“Actually, you know what, there was one. My girlfriend in 4th grade got me this pretty cool valentine; it was Michelangelo and a slice of pizza with the phrase Kowabunga, Valentine on it.”

“Wow, how can you not resist that?”

“I know, right? So what about you? Any great valentines of the past?”

“I don’t know that I’ve had a good Valentines Day in a long while. I mean when I was little my mom had always gotten me little trinkets or candy or something like that. Just something little. I always loved that.”

Just then Karen walked in to grab her lunch and playfully smiled at Jim. Pam quietly excused herself as she heard Karen giggle, afraid to turn around and see what happened.

At this point she didn’t care; she was on a tiny mission. She ran directly to her desk and got out a pen and the paper for the valentines. She immediately googled images of Michelangelo for reference. She was going to recreate Jim’s best valentine. After about five attempts to make it perfect, she finally got it, adding the final touches.

It was unusually quiet that afternoon as people slowly milled around handing out cheesy little valentines all day when Pam noticed something. Dwight and Angela had gone missing. Playing investigator, she got up from her desk and walked to the break room, she had noticed Angela walk that way a few minutes ago. As she peered around the corner, unbeknownst to her that Michael had followed her, she saw Dwight and Angela sprawled out on the table making out.

“Oh, yuck! Dwight, this is just, Angela, really?” Michael yelled out making Pam jump back only to run with laugher.

“Woah, Pam, what’s the rush” Jim had stopped her as she ran into him on accident.

Breathless from the laughing, Pam just blurted out “Dwight! Angela! My eyes!”

“No way, I have to see this,” as he ran over seeing them walk back to their desks, clothes all disheveled.  

Michael came back shaking his head, “I know I meant for togetherness today, but not this way, Dwight, just, really?” he was still in shock. “On a less disgusting note, you all have 5 minutes to make you final deliveries. Some of us only have one.”

Pam grabbed her valentine for Jim, she hadn’t even made another for anyone else. As she walked over she felt nervous for some reason, this is stupid, she thought, it’s not like I’m telling him I love him or anything. She finally got to his empty desk, and placed it in the center. She caught Jim in the corner of her eye and quickly walked back. As she sat down she saw Jim had noticed the delivery. He didn’t look at her, but she saw him smiling, just then Karen walk over. “Hey, Jim,” as she said that Jim slid the card in his back pocket. Pam knew he liked it.

“Hey you, what’s up?” Jim asked

“Oh, I know we planned on leaving together tonight, but I have to go back to my apartment and change, I left my bag there this morning, is that OK?”

“Not a problem, I can just pick you up at 7.”

“Perfect” she said as she touched his arm. Pam had saw the interaction and hoped her flowers died by the time she got back to her desk.

“OK everyone; it’s time to reveal the winner. Everyone empty their boxes!” Michael was as giddy as every. As Michael dumped his he was surprised with a lack of love. “What, one? ONE? Who is it... Andy, thank you. Wow. OK, you know what. Game over. There is no winner. Lets just go home. Happy Valentines Day, you people.” And he ran into his office and slammed the door.

Pam hadn’t paid any attention to his outburst as she was frantically searching for a valentine from Jim. Nothing. She had got a few, but none from Jim. Creed had even given her one, but it read Have a good day, Dawn. Pam started to feel like crap, and sat down. This was exactly why she hated this day. Some how Pam hadn’t realized how late it was, and noticed she was alone in the office, of so she thought.

“Hey Pam, how’d you make out?” it was Jim.

“Oh, alright I guess. I got seven. Well technically six, one was for Dawn.”

“Creed?”

“Who else would it have been?”

"Well I better get going, have a good night. Happy Valentines Day.” Jim tapped his hands on her desk as he started for the door.

“OK, Jim, you too.”

Before he got to the door, he stopped and turned pulling something shinny out of his pocket. “Oh Beesly, you forgot one…” as he tossed Pam a little silver heart magnet. “Kowabunga, Valentine”

Pam caught it with a smile as she looked down and notice the little something he gave her. It was the first Valentines Day in 11 years that wasn’t horrible.

March by JamGirl
Author's Notes:

I fell in love with Jim for about the 100th time writing this chapter. Go ahead and try not to. Also if you enjoy a good visual every now and again, I suggest you take a look at this to better get an idea of what's going on with Pam's hair in this chapt. Plus John's looking dapper himself, I suggest you go swoon for a few and then come back to read.

Disclaimer: I own one thing in this world, and if you were you guess The Office and all things associated with it, you'd be wrong. You'd also be wrong if you guessed Elton John, Kiki Dee, or Ray Lamontagne, or any of their songs.

  [Michael: Poor Richards is a St. Patrick’s Day tradition here at Dunder Mifflin, Scranton. It’s the number three night spot in all of Scranton. That’s why I was so excited when they let us the place for tonight. Having the number three night spot booked all night for your very own private gathering is a beautiful thing, far more beautiful then being at the number one, plus I hear number two is kind of smelly.]

 

  “Hey Jim, how long do these things usually take, I mean we’ve been here an hour and I already feel myself getting dumber.” Karen was becoming more and more exasperated with every breath she took.

 

  “Listen Filipelli, I think this night is going to turn out a lot better then you think. I mean St. Patrick’s Day is the single greatest day of the year.” Jim let out one of his world famous dreamy smiles that made Karen, and the world, swoon at his very feet.

 

  “Ok, but really, can I ask you a question?”

 

  “Shoot.” As he said this Jim’s eyes were drawn to someone walking through the door. Pam. She had her hair down, which he had always loved, but this time it was different, smooth. His mind immediately wondered what it would have been like last May if her hair was that way. How would it feel in his fingers? A sick feeling hit Jim’s stomach and a wave of heat rushed over him. I’m over this, it’s just Pam. Pam. How does she keep crawling back into my head, this is real classic, Halpert, you stupid ass. He knew he was staring with his mouth hung open a bit when he heard his name being called.

 

  “Jim!” Karen looked at Jim and then Pam who had made her way over to the bar to greet Ryan and Kelly. “What’s going on? You didn’t even hear my question did you.”

 

  “Sorry, Filipelli, brain fart, I’m all ears this time.”

 

  “What I asked you five times was why do you put up with these people after working hours? I mean, you can only take so much of the people you work with before you want to blow your brains out.”

 

  “Or give yourself a lobotomy.”

 

  “Or that.”

  

  Pam had taken her time when she got home from work to take another shower and carefully test out her new straighter her mom had given her to try. She wasn’t sure how well it worked until she saw the look on Jim’s face when she first walked in. Showing up an hour late was completely worth it. As she sat down at the bar with Ryan and Kelly she couldn’t help but eaves drop on the conversation going on next to her. Michael had found himself talking to Oscar and Gil. Pam was cringing before Michael even spoke.

 

  “So Gil, you’re Irish?”

 

  “Uh, yes Michael I am, both my parents were born in Dublin.” Gil said proudly.

 

  “Wow, Oscar is very lucky to have a roommate like you around.”

 

  “I guess, yea.” Michael clearly didn’t understand that Oscar and Gil were more than roommates. “We’re actually thinking of taking a trip to Dublin sometime next year.”

 

  “That’ll be great for Oscar, great for all Mexicans. It’s about time he got a little Irish in him.” Before Michael realized he had said anything remotely suggestive he was interrupted by Andy frantically tapping at his shoulder.

 

  “Mike, they have our song! Let’s go chief, you and me.”

 

  “Oh, Andy, Andy Bernard, you never cease to amaze me, my friend.” And excused himself from the potentially deadly conversation he would have had had he stayed a minute longer.

 

  Pam was curious why the music had stopped when she heard someone get on the mike. She looked over to see a smiling Michael and a slightly intoxicated Andy. All of a sudden, music filled the room and all Pam could do was give a dumbfounded look as she heard Michael start to sing.

 

  “Don’t go breakin’ my heart…”

 

  “I couldn’t if I tried…”

 

  “Oh hunny if I get restless…”

 

   “Baby you’re not that kind…” and with these words Dwight dropped his beer and stormed out of the place, Angela soon to follow. Pam and Jim had caught this happening and as they began to look back at their drinks their eyes met across the room. Jim began to blush a bit as he abruptly looked away. Pam knew it was worth the extra time getting ready for sure this time.  

 

  Karen and Jim seemed to be at odds all night, or at least since she caught him keel over for Pam earlier. “Jim, can we please leave now. This isn’t getting any better like you promised.”

 

  “Oh come on, you mean you’re not having any fun?” Jim knew he wasn’t either, but for some reason something was making him stay.

 

  “No, I’m not. I don’t even like St. Patrick’s Day. It’s just an excuse for people, such as these people, to get drunk and act like asses.” Karen meant it in a joking manner, sort of.

 

  “You don’t like St. Patrick’s Day? Are you serious? What is wrong with you?”

 

  “What is wrong with me, Jim? We’ve sat at that booth all night and not once did you move, you just stared at the bar.” Karen knew what he was looking at, but was afraid to say anything; she wasn’t stupid that’s for sure.

 

   “Can we talk about this outside?” Jim knew he was dangerously close to Pam, who had heard their little argument, lightly smiling to herself. Karen stormed out, Jim followed.  

 

  It had been ten minutes since Karen and Jim stormed out of Poor Richards and Pam was getting anxious. She kept steady eye contact with the door waiting for Jim to come back in with great news. She wished he broke up with Karen and through some magical twist of fate realized he was still in love with her and come back in. After ten minutes she’d given up all hope. She just kept praying they didn’t leave together to have make-up sex on Jim’s bed.  That very thought sent chills down Pam’s spine as she felt a hand on her back.

 

  “Hi Pam, Happy St. Patrick’s Day!” Phyllis’ voice seemed so sweet and sincere.

 

  “Hi, you too!”

 

  “Bobby and I set the date!”

 

  “Oh Phyllis, that’s great news, when’s the big day?” Pam was happy to get her mind off of Jim having sex with another woman.

 

  “Well, Bobby and I realized that we don’t need a huge wedding, I mean he had been married once before, and I’m not as young as I once was Pam.” Pam just chuckled. “We both love Scranton in the summer, it seems so perfect. So we thought June.”

 

  “Wow, that is so great! What date?” As she said it, Pam was caught of guard by the door opening, it was finally Jim.

 

  “Well, actually, it’s June 10, I know you had that day, but it’s really the best for us, I hope you won’t find it a little odd Pam.”

 

  All Pam wanted to do was run over to Jim to see what happened, she had barely caught what Phyllis just told her. “Oh, no, not at all.” She was antsy to get up. “Um, Phyllis, will you excuse me.” Without hearing the answer Pam ran over to Jim who was looking around running a hand through his hair and one on his cheek.

 

 “Hey Jim, are you…” her words were cut off.

 

 “Let’s get me nice and drunk, what do you say?” Pam was hoping this was a sign of the end of Karen.

  

 Three beers and five shots later Jim kept steady eye contact with Pam’s glass to keep the room from spinning. He hadn’t said a word in five minutes and Pam was beginning to worry.

 

  “Hey Jim, you look a little pale, do you need anything?”

 

  “No, I’m fine, I’m letting my Irish come out, notice how well I am holding up.” Jim turned his head toward Pam who was smiling brightly at him like she had before he screwed everything up. He started to notice all the little details of Pam; he always loved how she dressed on holidays. And her shamrock earrings were proving too cute. He couldn’t help but smile at her. At least they were still friends.

 

  “I just love being Irish, my mom’s maiden name was O’Toole, so Saint Patrick’s Day was always huge in my family. It’s the greatest holiday ever!”

 

  “Exactly, that’s what I’ve been saying this whole time.”

 

  The next song that came on the jukebox hit Jim hard. It was silly but he just loved the song “Trouble” by Ray Lamontagne. It reminded him of heartache. He knew it was a bad idea, his gut told him it was a bad idea, but he did it anyway.

 

“Hey Pam, do you want to dance?” His mind went back to the seventh grade semi formal and how hard it was then to ask Suzy Templeton to dance. He’ll never be able to hear 10,000 Maniacs and not think of Suzy Templeton.

 

   “Jim, there’s no one else in the bar dancing, won’t it be weird?”

   “No, come on, I like this song.”

 

  Jim grabbed Pam by the elbow and pulled her closer to the middle of the bar. As Jim started to mouth the words, Pam was a goner; what sane girl would not swoon over Jim Halpert? He stopped singing after the lines feels like every time I get back on my feet she’ll come around and knock me down again. Jim had to say something before the moment he was caught up in with Pam took advantage of him. The last line he sang felt too real. Here he was, dancing with Pam, he was fine with Karen until he came back. Karen was good enough. He just hated being alone, and Karen was there for him, and he thought that over time, Karen would be the best he could get. Looking at Pam the word friend kept ringing in his ear. Well he figured, I guess that’s all we’ll ever be. The silence between them was too strong, he had to say something.

 

  “Sometimes I don’t get Karen.” He settled.

 

  “What do you mean?” Pam’s hope of he and Karen being over was shot to hell. He wouldn’t mention her in that way if they weren’t still together.

 

  “It’s just, I don’t know. She hasn’t stopped complaining since she got here. She’s just not…” His pause was because he kept fighting himself over not saying the word ‘you’ after that. “She hates St. Patrick’s Day. Who hates the greatest day in the world? That’s like hating jelly beans or puppies.”

 

  Pam just wanted to crawl up into a ball listening to Jim talk about Karen; it took all she had to not yell at him to break up with her. But she made it clear that they’d be friends, and friends don’t do that. She was really falling for Jim for good this time, every word about how great Karen was that followed felt like stabs in her heart. This must have been what Jim felt seeing her with Roy. It made her want to cry knowing what she put Jim through. She had to tell him she was really in love with him. That she wanted him to be the only person she danced with for the rest of her life, that not being with him would kill her, that she is so over the top, one hundred percent, slit-your-own-throat in love with him that dancing with him now is bringing her one step closer to insanity. Pam was about to spill all her guts and looked him in the eye “Jim, I’m, I…” but chickened out at the last second when the gaze became deafening “I know you’ll work it out.” Damnit, you are such a shmuck.

 

  Jim just smiled, looking down at his feet, she’s just never going to be into you that way man, just let it go. He pulled Pam closer to him so his mouth was to her ear. Jim went back to whispering the words of the song until it faded out. Pam held her breath the whole time. 
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=650