The New Year's Resolution by 69 cups of noodles
Summary: Karen and Pam decide to throw a party and Jim hopes that by New Year's he'll have some things resolved. Spoilers through Benihana Christmas.
Categories: Present, Jim and Pam Characters: Ensemble, Jim/Pam, Karen
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Holiday, Humor, Inner Monologue, Romance, Steamy, Weekend, Workdays
Warnings: Adult language, Explicit sexual content, Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 14688 Read: 70389 Published: December 24, 2006 Updated: January 01, 2007
Story Notes:

The chapter names are from "The New Year," by, of course, Death Cab. This will probably be about 16 chapters with points of view from mainly Jim, Pam and Karen.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. so this is the new year by 69 cups of noodles

2. and i don't feel any different by 69 cups of noodles

3. the clanking of crystal by 69 cups of noodles

4. explosions off in the distance by 69 cups of noodles

5. so this is the new year by 69 cups of noodles

6. and i have no resolutions by 69 cups of noodles

7. for self-assigned penance by 69 cups of noodles

8. for problems with easy solutions by 69 cups of noodles

9. so everybody put your best suit or dress on by 69 cups of noodles

10. let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once by 69 cups of noodles

11. lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn by 69 cups of noodles

12. as thirty dialogues bleed into one by 69 cups of noodles

13. i wish the world was flat like the old days by 69 cups of noodles

14. then i could travel just by folding a map by 69 cups of noodles

15. no more airplanes or speed trains or freeways by 69 cups of noodles

16. there'd be no distance that could hold us back by 69 cups of noodles

so this is the new year by 69 cups of noodles

 

Jim had lost his virginity in a typical, American Pie type of way. It had been prom night, his senior year of high school, and everyone had gone to the Jersey shore afterwards. His older brother had stuffed three Trojans into his hand before he’d left home, saying, Here, bro. You just might get lucky.

He’d lost it to a typical, Tara Reid type of girl who had been a cheerleader for the basketball team. She had walked in on him while he was using the bathroom of the hotel room that he and his friends had been partying in. He was bombed and she’d just walked in, and they had done it right there in the bathroom. He’d been standing up, and she’d sort of kneeled on the closed toilet seat. Which is weird and uncomfortable when you’re seventeen and have never had sex before and somehow you’ve always pictured yourself lying in bed while doing it your first time. With the lights off. With someone who is at least your girlfriend.

And, God, it had been uncomfortable.  He thinks he may have lasted all of about ninety seconds, but she hadn’t seemed disappointed. He doesn’t remember if that type of thing matters when you’re seventeen.

He does remember that he’d never talked to that girl again after he had gone home that weekend. Not because he hadn’t wanted to, but because on Monday at school she was walking with another guy. And the only thing he’d known about her back then was that her name was Lauren, she would be going to college somewhere in Philadelphia, and she’d worked at the Gap in the mall.

Not exactly the greatest love story of all time.

It’s these things he thinks about when he should be selling paper, or managing those under him who sell paper, or doing something other than staring at a blank spreadsheet on his computer monitor. He wonders if losing his virginity (such a pivotal moment of his manhood) in such a typical way had somehow set him up for a lifetime of typical. Like, when you have sex for the first time, that’s it. You don’t have another first time. So if your first time is less than venturesome or meaningful, but you’re still satisfied with the fact that, hey, at least I did it, maybe you’ll be satisfied with allowing everything else in your life to be just adequate.

He’d taken a risk once.

That risk had consequently turned into another risk, which had turned into yet another risk. And then he’d found himself back where he started. Only now his shirts are a little more expensive and uncomfortable and he has to look directly at Dwight all day. Not a winning combination.

And this is why he doesn’t take risks.

He still doesn’t refer to Karen as his girlfriend. He hadn’t mentioned her once to his family over Christmas, hadn’t talked about her to his friends, nothing. And it’s not that he’s afraid of commitment. It’s just that he’s satisfied to tell himself that they are merely seeing each other, they are dating, they hang out and do things and have sex. Yeah, maybe he feels bad once in awhile that he’s overly careful that no one in the office sees them together, and that he goes out of his way to make sure the cameras don’t catch them talking or touching, if he can help it. But in the long run, it’s better that way. She’d understand if she knew, he thinks.

He can pinpoint the moment when he’d resolved that he wouldn’t be getting over Pam any time soon.

* * * *

He goes out with Toby for a beer after work, even though it’s Wednesday and he doesn’t drink during the week usually. They meet at Poor Richard’s because neither one of them is feeling particularly adventurous and because there’s a pool table.

But when they get there they don’t play pool. He likes hanging out with Toby because they can both tell each other embarrassing things about themselves without really worrying about anyone else ever knowing. And he ends up telling Toby a lot of things, leaving a few parts out, not really naming names. It’s easier than he thought, sort of coming clean about it. He doesn’t really mention Karen, well, because. He tells Toby that he’s confused, and that it still hurts almost all of the time, and that he doesn’t know what to do to stop it.  During most of the conversation he replaces the word Pam with promotion.

"It’s just a matter of time, Jim," Toby explains.

"Right, but in the meantime?"

"In the meantime you do whatever you can to not think about it."

Of course. Why hadn’t he thought of that?

Jim sighs and orders another beer.

"Toby," he carefully asks, looking down at the bar, tracing rings of water with his finger, "what was your first time like?"

* * * *

Karen comes over to his place on Thursday night and they watch a movie, as usual. And as usual, they go with something from his own DVD collection rather than going out to rent something new. If she notices that they always do that, she never says anything.

She sits close, but not too close, holds his hand but never tries to climb into his lap or make out with him during the movie. It’s these types of things that he appreciates about her. She’s not forceful or clingy. So he can deal with it. And he likes her. He likes her laugh, deep and husky, likes her sick sense of humor, her olive skin. He likes the things that he can see outright, things he doesn’t have to reach in too far to find.

The movie ends and they start talking about New Years’ Eve plans and she mentions maybe going to the city.

"I don’t know," he says, tentatively. "It’d be really hard to find a parking spot, and..."

"Oh. Yeah, no," she says nodding. "I, uh, didn’t even think about that. Well, we could always have a party. That would be fun. You’ve got tons of room here and Mark probably wouldn’t mind, right?"

Again, bad idea.

"Maybe," he says, screwing the left side of his mouth up. "But you know what, we still have a few days to figure it out."

And he kisses her, hoping that by doing so she would stop trying to make plans for a holiday that he didn’t think he’d be much into this year.

Luckily, she kisses back and doesn’t notice.

* * * *

Friday morning Karen announces to him that she and Pam have decided to throw a New Year's Eve party.

and i don't feel any different by 69 cups of noodles

 

"Sunday night," Karen says excitedly. "We’re going to have it at Pam’s place. She thinks she can fit maybe fifteen or twenty people."

Jim raises his eyebrows, his lips pressed together. "Really."

"Yeah," she grins. Then her face falls. "Oh. I’m sorry, though. I didn’t even think." She looks concerned.

"Sorry, why? Why are you sorry?" He asks in one breath.  There's no way she knows, he thinks.

"Because I know last night I had mentioned something about us, like..."

"Oh. Oh, yeah, that’s...okay. Totally. It probably wouldn’t have worked out at my place anyway.  'Cause, then I’d have to clean, and you know how dangerous I can be with a vacuum..."

She laughs. "Right. Well, I’ll give you details later. Pam and I are going to be planning everything during lunch today."

"All right. Sounds good. See you later." Jim walks back to his desk with his shoulders slumped.

Before he sits down, he looks up at Pam. She’s looking up at him, her head peeking over her desk, and she smiles. She smiles the way she’s been smiling lately.  And it's kind of nice.

He smiles back, sort of, but he’s half-mad at her, because come on. He’s glad she’s making friends, but did it have to be with the girl he’s sleeping with? Not that she knows that yet, but still.

It’s 9:05 and he’s already decided he’s going to ask Toby to go out for a drink again after work.

* * * *

He takes lunch a little bit early because he doesn’t want to be there during the party-planning. He pulls his sandwich out of the refrigerator, looking through the door to make sure Karen is still at her desk.

Kelly runs into the kitchen, nearly knocking him over.

"Jim! Did you hear about the party? Oh my God, it’s going to be so awesome. Pam asked me to help, too and I totally can’t wait. We’re going to have tons of lights and decorations, and champagne, and–"

"That’s great, Kelly." He stuffs half of his sandwich in his mouth to keep from having to say anything else.

"I have to go shopping for something to wear. I want to look so hot. There’s this new store in the mall that has the cutest dresses. Do you think I should wear purple, or red?"

He takes another bite. "Mrrhhhllff," he answers, his mouth full of food. He points to his face, chewing.

"Purple. Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. I’m going to go ask Ryan to see what he thinks. Bye, Jim!" She skips out of the kitchen.

He swallows and sighs, as the door opens again.

"So I was thinking maybe we’ll bring the kareoke machine, and maybe we can even have it catered. Like, a six foot sub or something." Karen says to Pam as they walk in together.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely. That’s a really good idea," Pam answers, nodding.

"Is your building really picky about noise?" Karen asks, pulling her salad out of the refrigerator. "Because we can always–"

"Oh, no," Pam says, reaching from behind Karen to grab her yogurt. She shuts the refrigerator door. "My apartment is small, and I’ve only got the one bedroom, but it’s the downstairs of a two family house. My neighbors won’t even be home until next weekend. Oh!" She says, her eyes lighting up. "I share the backyard, too, with a patio, and my neighbors have one of those little outdoor fireplaces!"

"Perfect!" Karen smiles. They stand next to each other, finally noticing Jim sitting at the table.

He looks at them both, eyes wide. "Um, I was just, uh, finishing up," he says, standing up.  He gestures towards the table, pulling two chairs out for them. "Feel free to commence party planning." He opens the door to leave the kitchen.

* * * *

He sits back at his desk and rubs his hand over his face. Maybe he’ll go to the city for New Year's after all.

the clanking of crystal by 69 cups of noodles

Jim’s computer alerts him that he has one new e-mail. From Pam.

Sunday night, Halpert. My place. Be prepared to get your ass beat in beer pong.

He gets another e-mail, and it’s an e-Vite from Karen.

He types an e-mail back to Pam.

Beer pong? Really? I forget, which fraternity did you rush with? He clicks send.

He hears a giggle behind him and he turns to her and gives her a quick smile.

He scrolls through Karen’s e-Vite. Kevin, Toby, Meredith, Kelly, Ryan, Stanley, Creed, Phyllis, Andy (which should be great), Dwight and Angela (which he was not expecting), Darryl, Roy (which was probably because Karen didn’t know, and Pam’s too polite to say anything). There were also about five names that Jim didn’t recognize.

So. This is really going to happen.

He tries to think of an excuse to not go, but that would mean Karen being upset, and Pam feeling rejected, and that really wasn’t what he wanted. Besides, how bad could one night be, right?

* * * *

He sits in front of the camera in the conference room.

"So, Pam and Karen are throwing a New Year’s Eve party, and everyone’s invited. Except for Michael, who is still in Jamaica, probably dancing around with a rastafarian hat on his head, and somehow insulting the natives without even realizing it."

He smiles, looking off to the side, picturing that.

"But I’m sure it’ll be a good time. The party, I mean. And the fact that Pam and Karen are becoming...close, well, that’s...good. Karen doesn’t really know anyone in Scranton still, besides me. And Pam..." he squints his eyes. "Pam seems to like Karen, a lot, and I’m glad she’s got someone to...throw parties with." He pulls his lips together but he doesn’t quite come up with a smile that time.

* * * *

Pam faces the camera.

"Yes," she says, smiling. "I am having a New Year’s Eve party, and it’s kind of the first real party I’ve ever thrown since I’ve lived by myself. So I’m really grateful Karen’s helping me. We’re actually having a lot of fun together."

She stops, her eyes wide. "Um," she continues, "we invited everyone here, and I also invited a couple of people from my art class. I doubt they’ll show up, but that’s okay, because I really don’t have that much room. My living room’s kind of small."

She presses her mouth into a line.

"Actually, I’m kind of hoping Dwight and Angela don’t show up, either."

* * * *

Pam’s sitting at her desk when Kelly rushes over to her.

"Pam, I just had the best idea. You should hire a DJ. My friend had one at her New Year’s party last year and it was so cool."

"Um, Kelly, I don’t think there’ll be room for a DJ in my apartment. And the party is in two days. And there’s only going to be, like, ten people. I have a CD changer. I think that’ll be good enough."

"Hmm," Kelly says, leaning on Pam’s desk. "Okay. Well, I’m going to bring a ton of CDs. I have the new Beyonce, the Pussycat Dolls, um, Gwen Stefani..."

"That sounds great, Kelly." She looks down at her computer, continuing her solitaire game.

The entrance opens and she sees Roy walk in.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey."

Kelly looks Pam and Roy. "Oh. I should totally leave you guys alone." She walks away.

"So, I heard about the party," he says, resting his hands on Pam’s desk.

"Oh, yeah...that. Listen, Karen was inviting everyone, and she doesn’t know that, um..." Pam waved her hand, as if to continue her sentence.

"Oh, no. I figured. Well, because–"

"I mean, if you can’t make it, that’s totally cool. It’s not going to be like a huge blowout of a party or anything. You probably wouldn’t miss much."

"Oh."

"It’s up to you."

"Okay. Well, maybe I’ll be there."

Ugh, Pam thinks. This is impossible. She watches as Roy walks out with his head down. She wants him to be there as much as she doesn’t want him to be there.

She thinks about the parties that he used to throw that she’d inevitably end up having to cook for and clean up after. They were endless nights of too many guys drinking too much beer, and the floor around the toilet always smelling like pee.

She stares at the back of Jim's head.  She's beginning to memorize the way his hair curled around the back of his ears and his collar.  Somehow she doesn’t think he would ever miss the toilet. He probably puts the seat down, too, when he’s done.

She looks up and Karen’s standing at her desk. "Hey," she says.

"Oh, hey." Pam answers. "So I was thinking, do you want to come over tonight? We can get together a list of the stuff we need, and then maybe Saturday morning we can go shopping for everything."

"Yeah, definitely. I’ll give you a call around six so you can give me directions."

"Okay." She watches Karen walk back to her desk, and she pretends not to notice Jim look up at her as she passes him.

explosions off in the distance by 69 cups of noodles
Pam waits until Jim grabs his coat off of the coat-rack next to her desk. She clears her throat.

She wants to hear him tell her that he’s coming to her party. She wants to hear it from him. The party would happen whether or not he’d be there. But she needed to know.

"So," she says, as he looks over at her.

"So." He shrugs on his coat, fixing the collar, adjusting the strap of his bag over his shoulder.

"Got any New Year’s plans?" she asks, with a mock-serious expression on her face.

"Well, I was invited to this party."

"Really." She finds herself having a harder time going along with his jokes these days. Not because they aren’t funny, but because she doesn’t want her voice to shake or sound weird, since the fact that they are sort of on that level again with each other completely eludes her.

"Yeah. But," he lowers his voice conspiratorially and leans into her desk, "I hear that the girl who’s throwing it is only going to have one color of paper napkins, and I just, I don’t think I can be seen at a party like that."

Pam tilts her head at him and raises her eyebrows. "Oh...okay, yeah. I think I’ll see you there."

Jim smiles in a way that makes Pam’s hands shake. She squeezes them between her knees.

He taps on her desk with his fingers. "Well," he says, pretending to think. "MTV really hasn’t been the same for me since Carson Daly left, so I think I might be free." He slides his hand off of the desk and lifts it up to her to wave. "See you Sunday, Pam," he says before walking out to the elevator.

Pam takes a minute to breathe slowly, her heart racing in her chest.

Okay, she thinks. See you Sunday, Jim.

* * * *

She sits at the tiny table in her kitchen in one of the wobbly chairs that her mother had given her when she’d moved.

She’s having second thoughts about this. She doesn’t know why she went along with it in the first place.

Her living room is probably a total of eleven square feet. The refrigerator leaks sometimes, and the bathroom mirror makes your face look distorted.

And she’s not sure she wants Jim to know any of this about her. That her couch is from the Salvation Army and that she doesn’t sweep the floors. Pretty soon Karen would know, too, and then she’d spend more time comparing Karen to herself than she already does.

She hears the doorbell ring and she gets up. She opens the door, and it’s Karen, in a tan trench coat, turtleneck sweater, and dark blue jeans. Pam invites her inside, leading her through the living room towards the kitchen. She looks down at her own faded jeans and boring hooded sweatshirt.

"This is great!" Karen exclaims, looking around the living room. "It’ll be perfect. Ooh. I love your Christmas tree," she says, fingering a little beaded snowflake ornament.

"Thanks," Pam smiles. "I decided the day before Christmas Eve that not having a tree would be weird and depressing, so I went out and bought the cheapest one I could find. And then I spent all night making decorations, because I didn’t have any. Oh, except for the star." She points at the glass Moravian star nestled at the top of the tree. "That I did buy. And the lights."

"You made these?" Karen asks incredulously. She examines the shimmery frosted pears, tiny red and green mosaic trees, and the popcorn and cranberry garland. "Wow. Martha Stewart would be proud."

Pam laughs nervously. "Well..."

"Anyway," Karen continues, sitting at Pam’s kitchen table, "I have a list of everyone who is definitely coming." She pulls out a notebook. "It’s about fifteen people. Tomorrow morning we can hit up the party supply store and get decorations, then the grocery store for plates, cups, napkins and stuff. I already called that deli on Washington Avenue and they said that they can definitely do a six foot sub by tomorrow afternoon. The beer distributer will be open until noon so we can go there afterwards. I’ve got a few bottles of wine and Kelly’s going to bring champagne."

"Okay." Pam pulls out a sketch pad. "So I have everything sketched out. The food and the beer and stuff can be laid out on this table and on the counters. We can push the couch into the wall so there’ll be more room to stand, and we’ll pull these four chairs into the living room so that there are extra places to sit. Also, there’s chairs outside on the patio and I already bought some wood and firestarters for the fireplace outside. My neighbors also have a grill that we can probably use."

"Great." Karen looks up at Pam. "I’m really glad you decided you wanted to do this. It’s so weird being in a new place for New Year’s Eve, and Jim doesn’t really seem into it, for some reason. So..."

"Oh, yeah." Pam interrupts quietly. "Yeah. I’m glad we’re doing this, too."

Except, she doesn’t want to hear about Jim. Not from Karen.

* * * *

They decide that Karen should spend the night at Pam’s place and she sleeps on Pam’s couch, that pulls out into a horrifically lumpy bed.

Pam lies in her own bed in the dark that night, and she cringes while picturing Karen in the living room trying to sleep on uncomfortable couch-bed. She stares up at the ceiling, wishing it weren’t so easy being Karen’s friend. She should hate her, because that’s what girls do, right? Even if it’s unfair and totally not Karen’s fault, she should still hate her. She knows Karen would hate her, if she ever found out about what had happened with her and Jim.

But it was too late to worry about that. Too late to worry about what’s going to happen when Karen finds out that she’d allowed herself to be such good friends with a girl who is hiding way too much. Too late to worry about the fact that apparently, Roy had told Karen that he’d definitely be there.

Too late to wonder about Jim.

 

 

so this is the new year by 69 cups of noodles
Pam waits until Karen is farther up the paper goods aisle of the grocery store, looking at plastic forks and knives.

She takes a step backwards and tosses blue, green, and yellow paper napkins into the cart, in addition to the white ones they’d already picked out.

She knows he’ll appreciate it.

* * * *

Later that afternoon, after Karen goes home, Pam heads out to the mall by herself. The invitation had specified that everyone dress semi-formally, but nothing in her tiny closet had been anything she’d really wanted to wear. It all just seemed so...last year. So not enough.

She goes into one of the stores that she usually rushes past, never looking into, because it’s always so overpriced and a little too flashy for her. She stares at sweaters, skirts, tank tops.

She stands for a long time in front of a light blue wool dress with a deep v-neck and long sleeves, but she decides she doesn’t really want to wear blue. So she finally chooses a light pink, knee length, strapless silk chiffon dress. She’s never worn a strapless dress before, especially not in January. But she feels the fabric between her fingers, and it’s smooth and soft.

Like his hair had been.

She chokes back tears as she stands in the fitting room in front of the full-length mirror, looking pale under the florescent lights. The dress fits perfectly.

* * * *

Karen goes over to Pam’s apartment on Sunday around four, to help set up. She’s got the food, the hero delivered from the deli, and all of the beer.

Karen’s excited. New Year’s Eve had always been a time that she liked, and she’d usually gone all out back in Stamford. She’d had parties at her house, or organized nights out to the city in limousines. She wasn’t going to let the fact that she’d moved to Nowheresville, Pennsylvania, deter her from having a good time this year.

She's happy that Pam seemed to be into it, too. It helped having her as a friend. She was easygoing, funny, and sweet. Smart, too. She’d decided she liked Pam the minute Pam had come over to apologize for the horrible Party Planning Committee meeting before Christmas. It takes a lot to rebel against the people you know, the people you’re used to, when you’re used to doing things a certain way. And Karen had appreciated that.

The party wouldn’t be starting until seven, so they work on laying out the food, the plates, the cups, and moving furniture around. They push the living room couch against the wall.

"I think it would be much better if we put the coffee table and this end table in my bedroom," Pam suggests as she catches her breath.

"I agree."

They each take a side of the table and begin moving it into Pam’s little bedroom, placing it in a corner.

Pam leaves to bring in the end table, while Karen looks around her bedroom curiously. It was so different from her own. So girly. Pam had framed paintings and drawings on her walls, tons of candles and flowers on nearly every surface. She steps over to Pam’s desk to look at the pinboard hanging over it, filled with photographs.

She smiles as she sees Pam with her parents, with a girl who looks like she would be Pam’s sister, pictures of the beach and camping trips. She sees pictures of what was probably last year’s Christmas party at Dunder-Mifflin, as well as pictures from this year’s party.

Her breath catches in her throat as she sees a little rectangular shaped, black and white photo at the very bottom center of the board. It looks like a yearbook photo.

She squints her eyes staring at the familiar face in the photo, as her heart begins to pound loudly in her ears.

Pam comes back into her bedroom, holding the end table. "I think we’ve got it cleared out enough, now. Unless you think--" she stops, as Karen stares up at her.

Karen points to the picture. "Is this–this isn’t...?"

Pam’s eyes widen. "Oh. That’s, um, that was..."

"It’s Jim."

"Yeah. See, last year he had me for Secret Santa and he gave me this teapot...well, I should explain that he’d had this party at his house last November, and I was looking through his yearbook, and I kind of got a kick out of his picture, so..."

"So he gave you the picture."

"Well, yeah. I mean, Jim and I were pretty good friends last year. Nothing more than that. Seriously." Pam laughs shakily.

"Oh." Karen gives one last look at the picture, then faces Pam.

"Well, it’s almost six," she says brightly. "We should start getting ready. Do you mind if I use your shower?"

"Oh! Definitely. Go ahead. I’ll be in the living room putting up the rest of the decorations."

"Okay."

Karen watches as Pam leaves the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

* * * *

When she gets out of the shower, she stands in front of the pinboard again, dripping, holding a big green towel around her. She stares at the photo.

Ordinarily she would have been overcome with the cuteness of it, seeing Jim pre-manhood, pre-Dunder-Mifflin, pre-assistant regional manager. But instead she’s overcome with confusion, as to why Pam would have this picture, dead-center, in plain view. And why Jim would have given it to her in the first place. It’s not something you do, cutting pictures out of your yearbook and giving it to people. Especially people who are your friends. It’s weird, and, just...

But Pam had said they’d only been friends and she has no reason not to believe her. If anything, Jim would have mentioned something if he and Pam had ever dated. Wouldn’t he? It’s nothing to worry about. She doesn’t ever do things like second-guess and worry and think into things and she sure as hell isn’t going to start doing it tonight.

So she focuses on putting on her black Calvin Klein dress and tall black boots. She thinks she’ll do her hair up tonight.

* * * *

Pam kneels on the floor of the living room in front of the stereo, frantically pulling out CDs and putting them in order, placing them into the disc changer.

She hates herself for not having thought of taking down that picture.

When she’d moved into her apartment, she’d never even put up any of the pictures she had of her and Roy. She’d thrown those pictures out, most of them.

But Jim’s yearbook picture had been the first one she’d put up, and some nights when he was still away in Stamford, and she couldn’t sleep, she’d hold the picture in her hands and imagine the way things should have turned out.

* * * *

While she showers, Pam begins to formulate more cover-ups and excuses in her mind.

She knows she’ll probably need them tonight.

 

and i have no resolutions by 69 cups of noodles

Jim has no problems finding Pam's apartment. He had debated asking someone to ride with him, just so he'd have someone to show up with, but the more he had thought about it, the more time passed until it had been too late to really call anyone.

He'd bought a new dress shirt for the party. Shiny blue silk. One of those shirts that you can really only wear once, and he'd spent $60 on it, from one of those stores where all of the guys who work there wear pink and call you "sir". At home, he'd put it on and taken it off three times, because it was what they'd called "slim fit", which translated into "really uncomfortable", and because no matter how nice it looked, it wasn't really him.

But he'd ended up wearing it, with a navy blue tie and gray pants, figuring he'd spent the money on it anyway, and he really didn't have that many nice shirts.

He pulls into the street that Pam lives on and it looks as though he's the last to arrive, even though it's only 7:15. He parks and he can see Bob Vance's Yukon, Meredith's van, Ryan's Civic, Andy's Xterra, Karen's Isuzu...he even sees that Oscar had shown up. He counts the rest of the cars as he sits in his Corolla in front of Pam's apartment. He knows he's stalling.

Finally he gets out of his car, smoothing his shirt, and straightening the knot of his tie. He slowly makes his way up the walk. He sees Roy's monstrosity of a truck, hogging up most of the room in the driveway.

There are two front doors, one leading into Pam's place and the other leading upstairs to the other apartment. The invitation states she lives at 415 so he rings the left doorbell.

Karen answers the door, in all black. Her hair is up and Jim realizes this is the first time he's ever seen her dressed up. She looks beautiful, in a city kind of way. Nothing average about her.

He figures a compliment is obligatory.

"Hey!" She says, hugging him. "You look great! You should wear that shirt every day," she jokes.

He hugs back, and when he releases, he smiles at her. "Thanks. You look nice, too. Really nice." He wants to make a joke about her boots, badly, but he holds it in.

Karen takes his arm and leads him inside.

He'd never imagined actually seeing Pam's apartment, but it looks spectacular. They had gone all out decorating it, and there are little white lights everywhere, with blue, silver, black and gold balloons floating at the ceiling.

He looks around the living room with Karen still holding onto his arm. He sees just about everyone. Kelly is putting a party hat on Ryan's head, much to Ryan's chagrin. Meredith is pouring vodka into a glass of something that looks like Tang, while not listening to Creed. Phyllis and Bob Vance are dancing in a corner, near the Christmas tree. Darryl and Roy are in another corner, setting up the beer pong table. So, she hadn't been kidding about the beer pong.

Karen pulls him into the kitchen, where it's small and quiet and empty.

"Here's where the food is. We've got the sub and everything on the table. Beer is in the cooler down here," she points at an ice chest under the table, "and wine is on the counter." She presses a beer bottle into his hand.

Jim looks around the kitchen, and it smells faintly like pears and he wonders how Pam gets it to smell that way. Candles...or one of those plug-in things...?

Karen puts her hand on his face and pulls him down to her, kissing him. "I'm glad you're finally here," she says softly.

He kisses back, and sees Kevin enter the kitchen out of the corner of his eye. Quickly, he lets go of her.

"Hey, Kev," Jim says, waving.

"Hey," Kevin says, looking at Jim, and then Karen, then back at Jim. "This needs more mayonnaise," he says, holding out a piece of sandwich.

"Oh! Here you go," Karen says, opening Pam's refrigerator and pulling out a jar.

"Actually, I'm, uh, going to go back out there," Jim says, pointing into the other room, his beer in one hand.

He walks back into the living room, seeing Ryan standing in the corner watching Kelly as she changes a CD. "Hey, man," he greets, taking a drink out of his beer bottle.

"Hey." Ryan looks at Jim. He's wearing the party hat.

"Hey, have you seen P-Toby?" Jim quickly asks.

"Um, I think he's outside on the patio. They're having trouble getting the fire started."

Jim walks over to the glass sliding door at the far end of the living room and opens it, stepping outside. It's a nice night. Not too cold.

He sees Toby in a suit jacket, bent over the small black enamel outdoor fireplace.  He's holding a flaming fire-starter in his hand, trying to ignite the wood inside.

She's standing next to Toby, looking down at the fire he's trying to start. She has a gray sweater (the same one from that day he came back) over her pink dress, arms folded. He's not able to move from the doorway, because she has her hair down, and her cheeks match her dress. He so desperately wants his feet to move but she looks so beautiful that he's afraid to walk over her, not wanting anything to break the moment.

A smile quirks his lips as he watches her, in her fancy pink dress with a grandmotherly sweater over it.

He feels a firm hand clamp his shoulder. It shakes him a little bit, and aggravates him a lot.

"Tunaaaa..."

Jim looks over at Andy, who puts one arm around Jim's shoulders, holding a cup in his other hand.

"Hey, Andy."

"So tonight is going to be the night I make my move, if you know what I mean," Andy says, watching Pam. He talks really close to Jim's ear.

And...there's never a bad time to mess with Andy.

"No, not really. What do you mean?"

"Heh. You know. Tonight is when the magic will happen."

"Nope, still...no."

"I'm going to seal the deal tonight, man!"

"Wait..." Jim whispers, "are you talking about that rumor that was going around the office on Friday? The drag racing Dwight thing? ‘Cause your car only has, like, what? 265 horsepower? It puts you at a major disadvantage. I mean, I know what everyone else was saying, but I just want you to know that I did stick up for you, and I'll be very disappointed if you lose."

Andy runs off. It's too easy, Jim thinks.

His beer feels light in his palm and he decides to go back inside to get another one.

He turns to walk back through the sliding door but as he does, he hears a small voice behind him.

"Hey, Jim."

He whips back around, and...whoa...there she is, ten inches away from him, her hands clasped in front of her and he hasn't been face to face with her, in this proximity, since that night. And he can see her heartbeat making the skin palpitate in the little notch over her collarbone.

He swallows, forgetting about his empty beer.

 

for self-assigned penance by 69 cups of noodles

Pam notices that Jim's wearing a new shirt and she feels a surge of triumph.

"Hey, Pam," he answers her, a faint smile on his lips.

"Um, so did you just get here?"

"Yeah, a few, uh..." He interrupts himself, his smile fading. "You look...wow."

Pam feels her lips pulling into a smile that she can't control. She feels blood creeping into her face and she doesn't know what to do with her hands so she holds them behind her back.

"Thanks," she says shyly. "You, too. Wow."

They stand there facing each other silently. Pam's vaguely aware of the party going on inside and outside and she's beginning to feel like a bad hostess, but, just...wow.

Jim laughs uncomfortably. "So I may have just convinced Andy that Dwight wants to drag race him," he says, his eyes dancing, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb.

Pam giggles. "Nice. At least if beer pong and karaoke get old we'll have something to fall back on for entertainment."

Jim goes along with the joke, and Pam can vaguely hear him saying, "Maybe we can get them to have a singing beer pong competition..." but around his left arm she can see Karen walking towards them, pulling open the sliding glass door.

"Oh!" Pam says, interrupting Jim. "Actually, I should probably get back inside and check to see how we're doing on ice. I'll, um, find you later, though!"

Jim has confusion in his eyes. "Okay. Later." Pam brushes past him through the open glass door as Karen passes through.

* * * *

Karen slides her hand into the crook of Jim's arm. "Hey! Everything okay?" she asks, sidling up next to him.

He pulls the corners of his mouth down and nods. "Yeah."

"Good. Because, um, there's something I wanted to talk to you about." I'm going to do this now, Karen thinks. If I ask him about it, I'll know the truth. It's just a picture. But if it's more than that, I need to know.

"Fire away."

"Well, I was in Pam's room earlier, and..." Karen watches as Pam opens the door again, hurrying past them onto the patio to throw more wood in the fireplace. "You know what?" she continues. "Let's go inside. It's not important. Maybe later." She leads him back into Pam's living room.

* * * *
It's getting harder to break away from him every time. Harder to end every conversation, harder and harder to walk away.

Pam hates feeling so vulnerable in her own apartment. And while Karen had handled the whole yearbook photo thing so gracefully, she still can't help but wonder if she's really holding it against her.

I mean, to anyone who doesn't know, it would seem so innocent, Pam thinks as she bends down on the kitchen floor to scoop up pieces of half-melted ice that have fallen from the cooler. But then again, having a high-school picture of your friend's boyfriend hanging on your wall doesn't exactly scream of nothing going on.

"Uh, hey." Pam hears a soft voice from behind her, and half-turns, still bent over the floor.

Roy.

"Hey."

"Need help with anything?" he asks, wobbling slightly, holding an empty beer bottle by the neck. He tosses it into the trashcan.

Jesus, Pam thinks, examining him. It's nine o'clock and he's already drunk.

"No, thanks." She stands up, brushing off her skirt. "I thought you'd sort of stopped drinking."

"Yeah," Roy says, pulling another beer from the cooler. "I figured I'd make an exception for New Year's Eve."

"Roy, promise me." Pam says, looking straight into his blue eyes. "Promise me you'll stop drinking by eleven. There'll be cops out everywhere tonight."

Roy tilts his head, blinking. "I promise."

Pam's face breaks into a smile. "Good. You'll thank me tomorrow morning. Trust me."

Roy laughs. "Yeah, you're right." He looks down at his shoes, and then up again at Pam. "Thanks for inviting me," he says, his voice quiet.

I didn't, Pam thinks, sadly.

But she tells Roy she's glad he could make it and she leaves it at that.

Pam stares past Roy through the archway of the kitchen into the living room, at Karen laughing, beaming up at Jim, who's smiling too. She crushes a stray piece of ice on the linoleum with the toe of her high heels.

* * * *

Even though she's been busy co-hosting the party, Karen's had a lot of wine already and she's starting to feel very warm.

She even allows herself to ignore the fact that Jim's paying very little attention to her tonight, because when she says something funny, he still laughs. And, she can allow herself to believe that there's really nothing going on between Jim and Pam, because they've barely spoken to each other since Jim had arrived.

Karen and Jim sit on the couch, laughing, watching Meredith stumble through a rendition of "It's Raining Men" on karaoke, and she allows herself to put her hand on his back, rubbing gently. She feels his muscles relax and watches him take a big sip of his beer.

* * * *

Pam sits on the rickety old picnic table on the patio, next to the fireplace. She wraps her sweater closer around her, even though it's not cold by the fire.

She takes a big gulp of beer, and it's helping immensely. She thinks drinking a lot would be a bad idea, especially for her, especially tonight, but she can't stop herself.

She watches the glass sliding door open slowly, and she looks down but she recognizes the gray pants and lanky legs and she lets her eyes close, for a second.

She feels the table shake as he slides into a seat across from her. His shoe bumps her foot a little, but she doesn't move it. She lets herself look up into his eyes, even though doing that has been dangerous for her lately.

"It's a good party," he says reassuringly, tilting his head.

"Yeah."

"So why are you sitting out here?"

"I don't know. It's quiet?"

"Yeah."

They both look down at the table.

"So, I like your place," Jim says.

"Thanks. It's small, but it's nice having something that's all mine. Now I know what I've missed out on all those years. I've missed out on lots of things." Pam picks on curls of peeling paint on the table.

Jim laughs, hastily. "Like what?"

"Well, I-"

Pam is cut off by Karen rushing through the sliding door, pulling Roy behind her by his sleeve.

"Okay," she says, excitedly. "I just had the greatest idea. A drinking game. Never Have I Ever. We used to play it all the time in college."

Pam looks at Karen. Her cheeks are magenta and her eyes are really shiny. She thinks maybe she should tell Karen to ease up on the wine, too. But who would she be to talk?

Karen slips into the seat next to Pam, and whispers in her ear, "I see the way you guys have been looking at each other."

"What?" Pam blinks, her heart racing.

"You and Roy. I'm determined to have you guys hooked up by the end of the night. You can thank me later." She gives Pam a knowing smile.

Roy sits next to Jim, across from Karen.

"Okay," Karen says. "This is how we play. I say something that starts with never have I ever, and anyone who has done it, drinks. If you've really never done it, then you don't have to drink."

Pam begins to get up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Karen asks. "Sit back down. This'll be fun, I promise."

Pam pauses, looking at Jim. He shrugs at her, with a smile in his eyes, as if to say stay...it can't be too bad.  She sits again.

She'll go along with it, for now.

for problems with easy solutions by 69 cups of noodles
Author's Notes:
I apologize in advance for this chapter, but I assure you it's necessary.  And in the upcoming chapters, you will not be disappointed.  I swear.

Jim’s played Never Have I Ever three times in his life. All three times, he’d ended up with a nearly-full, warm beer in his hands. Apparently, he’s not as audacious or reckless as most of his friends were, or are.

But so far the game is actually pretty fun.

Darryl and Toby had pulled up chairs to join, as well as Ryan and Kelly.

He looks over at Karen, and she seems happy and in her element, and he can’t not feel good about that. He lets himself laugh and let go a little, because it’s a party, he’s with people he likes, and Pam’s laughing too. The tension is gone and he’s going with the flow of everything, for the time being.

Karen laughs. "Roy, your turn."

"Okay," Roy says, thinking. "Um, never have I ever...banged the chick on the sexual harassment video."

Everyone laughs, and Darryl raises his beer, taking a drink.

Jim sees Pam roll her eyes, but she laughs too. "Kelly, your turn!"

"Um," Kelly puts her finger on her lips. "Never have I ever had a threesome."

Everyone drinks except for Jim, Pam and Roy.

Kelly looks at Ryan, who had taken the fastest sip of beer in the world.

"Ryan!" She shrieks, her eyes wide.

"What?" He asks. "You drank, too."

Ryan takes his turn, and then Karen was up.

"Let’s see," she says. "Never have I ever tried to ride a bike home from work, completely drunk."

Jim shrugs, then drinks.

"What?" Pam laughs. "Tell me you didn’t do that."

"I did," Jim admits. "Well, I made it about ten feet and I ended up in the bushes. Not a fun night." He looks over at Karen, and her face falls. And he knows he can say something here to make it better, some joke about her rescuing him, but he doesn’t.

"Pam, go ahead," Karen nudges her.

"All right. Never...have I ever been called a whore by Angela."

Kelly and Karen both drink.

"Wait a second," Jim laughs. "I thought you said–"

"No, Jim," Pam interrupts, pretending to be serious. "She called me a hussy. A hussy is not the same as a whore."

She smiles anyway and he can’t tear his eyes away from her lips.

When Jim’s turn comes up, he scrunches up his face, thinking. "Oh, I got it. Never have I ever been serenaded by Andy on his banjo."

Pam giggles, then drinks, but surprisingly so does everyone else.

"Okay, okay," Jim says, raising his hands. "Take an extra drink if you’ve been serenaded, by Andy on his banjo, in pig latin."

Pam opens her mouth. "Not fair!  You can't do that."

"It absolutely is fair, and I can. It’s the same as you saying a hussy is not a whore. It’s in the rule book, Pam."

"Whatever, cheater," she says, lifting her beer bottle to her lips.

Jim’s vaguely aware of Karen glaring at him, but he’s having too much fun to care.

* * * *

Karen examines Jim’s face, with her eyes narrowed. He obviously hasn’t noticed that he'd barely even looked at her once during the entire game. She doesn’t know what to make of it, because it’s the first time all night she’s seen him having such a good time. In fact, she’s never seen him have such a good time.

Just friends, my ass, she thinks. She’s by no means a malicious person but she’s not stupid either.

Her blood is boiling and the words come out before she can stop them.

"Okay, my turn," she says. "Never have I ever cheated on anyone."

Everyone stops talking and they all turn to look at her, because her words had come out more forcefully than she’d intended. But she had to know.

* * * *

Everyone had taken it as part of the game, but no one drinks. Pam feels her face begin to flush, and she doesn’t know whether to stay and pretend, or get up and leave.

She feels Jim’s sympathetic eyes on her but she can’t look at him, or Roy, or anyone.

"Um, I’m pretty drunk," Ryan finally speaks up. "I’m going inside." He gets up and Kelly follows.

"Yeah, I’m done," Darryl agrees, pushing back his chair.

Pam stares at her hands folded in her lap, feeling tears stinging her eyes. I didn’t cheat, she thinks. It wasn’t cheating, kissing Jim. Karen doesn’t even know. So what the hell is she doing?

She rises to her feet, pulling her sweater tightly around her, and walks inside. She folds her arms over her stomach and she doesn’t try to stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks.

She rushes inside, through the party going on inside her living room, seeing swirls of colors and lights in her tear-filled eyes.  She barely makes it to her bedroom, quietly closing the door, before she breaks down.

so everybody put your best suit or dress on by 69 cups of noodles

 

Karen feels a pang of guilt as she sees Pam leave the table. She hadn’t meant to come across as an insecure bitch. But it had been directed at Jim. Not Pam.

She sees Roy’s eyes blazing.

"What the hell was that all about?" He asks gruffly, standing up.

"No." Jim’s voice is firm. "Karen, you go." He looks at her in a way that doesn’t make her think twice before she rushes inside.

She tentatively knocks on Pam’s bedroom door before going in. Pam’s sitting on her bed, in the dark, with her face in her hands.

She sits next to her, and puts her hand on Pam’s back.

"Hey," she says softly.

Pam takes a deep breath.

"I’m sorry," Karen continues. "I...I don’t know what that was, out there. I guess I was just a little upset because Jim’s been so distant towards me all night, but I wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings. I, um, I’m kind of confused."

Pam sniffs.

* * * *

Still sitting at the picnic table, Jim stares straight ahead. Roy sits back down.

"What was that, Halpert? You guys were such good friends. Do you think she ever cheated on me?" His eyes are pleading.

Jim scrubs his face with his hand. "Roy, um, Pam’s never cheated on you. She loved you. She wanted to be with only you. That’s all I know."

* * * *

Karen sighs. "Outside, after you left before, Roy seemed kind of angry. And I’m not really sure why. Is there something I don’t know?"

Pam shakes her head, looking down.

"Then why–"

"Karen, um," Pam’s voice shakes, "Roy and I...we were..."

"What?"

"We were together. For a long time. Engaged, even."

"Oh, my God. Pam, why didn’t you just tell me that?"

"Because it’s too much...too much to get into. I didn’t want to get into it again. I’m just trying to move past it. It’s hard."

"I can imagine. So you were engaged, and what happened? Did you cheat on him? Is that why you got so upset?"

"No," Pam cried out. "I didn’t cheat. I called off the wedding because there was someone..." She stops herself. "Because I got cold feet. Because I realized that I wasn’t getting what I wanted. He wasn’t what I wanted."

"I’m sorry." Karen laughs a little. "I feel really stupid now for trying to set you guys up."

"It’s okay. I should have told you sooner. I should have told you last week. I...I don’t know why I didn’t."

"Well, don’t worry about it. Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah. I just need a few minutes."

"Okay. I’ll be out in the living room if you need anything."

"Thanks."

Karen gets up, leaving the room, closing the door behind her. She doesn’t know what to think. She feels bad that Pam’s so upset. She feels bad that Jim’s probably mad at her now. She feels bad for making it seem like somehow, Pam had cheated when she really hadn’t.

She pours herself another glass of wine and glances at the clock.

Two hours until the new year.

* * * *

He doesn’t know what makes him do it, but he raps softly on Pam’s bedroom door with his knuckles and waits for a response, his ear pressed against the door.

He hears a muffled "what?" and he opens the door, closing it behind him.

She’s perched on the edge of her bed, staring out of the window, with light from the street lamps outside pouring into her dark room.

He doesn’t say anything, and she doesn’t look at him. He stands with his hands in his pockets, and he suddenly feels stupid for being there in the first place.

"I’m okay," Pam finally says quietly.

"You are?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"Karen didn’t know about me and Roy. She didn’t know we used to be..."

"And now she knows?"

"I told her. It wasn’t right of me to keep it from her."

Jim takes a deep breath before sitting next to her on the bed. He sits, his elbows resting on his knees.

"I’m sorry, Jim," she says, finally turning to look at him.

"For what?" He furrows his brow.

"I don’t know. Just, everything."

He wraps his hand around her forearm, squeezing gently.

"It’s New Year’s, Pam," he says softly. "We can all start over."

"I guess."

Jim stands up. "Come on," he says, holding his hand out to her. "Let’s go back out. I’ll give you ten dollars if you can get Andy to sing "I Will Survive" on karaoke."

Pam laughs. "I’ll give you twenty if you get Dwight to sing anything by Queen," she says, taking his hand, and standing to her feet.

She doesn’t let go right away. His hand closes around hers, and he feels warm all over. She looks up at him, before he releases her hand.

She gives him a sad smile as she passes him to go out into the living room.

 

let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once by 69 cups of noodles

 

She could have stood there all night, into the next morning, with him holding her hand like that.

But he lets go. And while being outside of work, away from the cameras, away from where it all happened has opened up a new world of communication between them (even if it was just for that night), the fact of the matter was that there was still too much between them left unsaid. And there was also Karen.

Pam makes her way into the living room and it's as if nothing ever happened. Everyone seems to be having a great time.

Except for Roy, apparently, who Pam can see through the archway into the kitchen, leaning against the counter, thick arms folded across his broad chest, his face expressionless.

She timidly walks into the kitchen, unable to meet Roy's eyes as she enters the room.

He starts to speak before she has a chance to say anything.

"I just want to know, Pam," he says, his voice surprisingly level, "if you cheated on me. Is that why you didn't want to go through with the wedding? Because the thought of that really makes me sick."

"Roy, no," Pam shakes her head. "That wasn't it at all. I never cheated on you. I just-" She looks down at her feet. He wasn't angry, he was sad, and that was worse. And there was a lot she wanted to say. But somehow, she knew it wouldn't help, now wouldn't be the time to get defensive, and maybe there would never be a time to get defensive. Because it's over, really. They were over.

"Roy," she continues quietly. "I never cheated on you. I promise." She leaves the kitchen, that part of her life behind her, once again.

* * * *

"So will you talk to me now?" Karen asks as Jim leaves Pam's bedroom.

"Uh, sure."

He lets Karen lead him back outside where it's quiet, and he's really dreading having this conversation with her, because he knows it's going to be The One, the conversation that he's been having nightmares about since he'd moved back to Scranton.

He lets her begin, because he's really only got one thing to say, and she's not going to like it. But he won't break up with her, not until Pam finally says, with her mouth, what she's been alluding to all night. What she's been alluding to since November.

He silently wishes for a cameraman, someone to be on his side, someone who knows.

"Listen," Karen says, sighing. "I get it, okay? You and Pam have some sort of weird history thing that none of you will admit to. She's got your high school yearbook picture hanging over her desk..."

Jim pulls his lips into a tiny smile, despite the disappointed look on Karen's face.

"...and when I asked her about it, she told me that you guys had just been friends. So what is it, Jim?" Karen puts her hands on her hips.

"That's just it. We were friends. I'll admit, I had a thing for her a few years ago, and yeah, I wanted something to happen, but I'm pretty sure she already told you that she was engaged, and so it didn't work out with us. Is that the big confession you were looking for, or...?

"So where does that put you now? Now that she's not engaged anymore, and now that it's so sickeningly obvious that you can't seem to keep your eyes off of her?"

"Karen, I...I don't know. I don't know where it puts me now. And telling you all of this sooner would have just opened up old wounds that had finally started to close, and I didn't want that. You know? You just don't forget someone who-"

"You don't forget someone who what?"

Jim sighs. "You don't forget someone who you cared about as much as I cared about Pam." He can't bring himself to say the word love, no matter how much he had wanted to.

"So, what, then? Does that make me some sort of shabby replacement? Some rebound chick?"

"Shabby replacement, no. Rebound chick is open to interpretation though."

"Jim, this isn't funny."

"Well, I'm not sure what you want me to say."

"I want you to say that I don't have to worry about you and Pam. I want you to say that the fact that we all work together won't change anything. I want to know that you won't run back to her."

"Karen, I'm not going to make any more advances towards her, if that's what you mean."

"No, that's-" Karen presses into her forehead with her fingers, squeezing her eyes shut. "That's not what I mean. Please just tell me if you still have feelings for her."

Jim takes a step back, shoving his hands into his pockets, and looks up at the sky, and it's clear and full of stars. He's tired of pretending.

"Yes," he simply says.

lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn by 69 cups of noodles

 

The word yes resonates through the air and Karen can't stop hearing it as it bounces back and forth inside of her head.

She knows there's a lot she can say here.

Starting with the fact that she'd taken a chance with him, she'd given up a lot of opportunities to follow him, and she'd done everything she could to be whatever he needed. And it turns out that's all she was. Something he needed. Not something he wanted.

She feels the muscles in her cheeks begin to ache, but she refuses to cry. She presses her lips together, and forces herself to look at him in the eyes.

"Okay, then," she says coldly. "I guess I got my answer."

"Karen, come on," Jim gently replies.

"No."

"I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

"No, Jim, actually I'm really sorry. Really sorry I came here in the first place, really sorry I told myself that whatever was wrong with you would blow over. I'm really sorry about that." Her voice breaks and tears spill out of her eyes. She covers her mouth with her hand.

Jim puts his hands on both of her shoulders. "Please don't cry."

She takes a deep breath and really tries to stop, but it hurts so bad and she wants to kill him and jump in her car and just drive away. His hands on her shoulders are firm and she can't move.

"Karen, I didn't plan this. Any of it. I didn't expect to be back here, ever. And it has to mean something to you that I wasn't willing to give you up just because I had to come back. I wanted this to work. I really did."

"Jim..." Karen swallows, trying to regain composure. "That means nothing to me right now. Sorry."

"I know. Believe me, I know. But you have to understand that I didn't want this, or expect this. You are incredible."

"Stop. Seriously." Her voice is firm.

"No. You deserve so much more than this. And the timing was just, so unbelievably bad, and I...I can't..."

"Jim, stop. I don't want to hear any more." Her eyes meet his, begging him. "Please let me go."

He releases her shoulders, and she walks back inside.

She heads right for Pam's bedroom, because the bathroom is occupied. And she tries to avoid looking that damn yearbook picture hanging up over Pam's desk.

She curls up on Pam's bed, but she's not crying anymore. You've been through worse, she tells herself, trying to stop shaking. You've been through so much worse. This was nothing. Stop. Stop.

She hates that she has nobody to be with her right now.

* * * *

Pam feels like she should really be a better hostess.

The night's drama had caused her to neglect everyone at the party besides Jim, Roy and Karen and there was food to put away, beer to replenish, empty cups and plates to throw out.

At one point, she almost goes outside to put more wood on the fireplace, but she can't help but notice Jim and Karen outside, Jim with his hands on her shoulders. She pretends she doesn't see them together, as she's become used to doing, and turns around, because the fireplace isn't that important.

She tries to mingle, making sure everyone's having a good time. She'd tried to play a round of beer pong with Phyllis against Dwight and Gil, Oscar's boyfriend, but Dwight had ended up forming a barricade around his cups with two layers of beer bottles and she'd had to stop the game to explain the rules to him. This had led Dwight to ramble on about preventing enemy penetration and she'd rolled her eyes, giving up.

She cheers Kevin on as he sings "Born To Be Wild." She talks to Toby for twenty minutes about her art classes. She dances with Kelly.

She's having fun, because it's her party and it's New Year's Eve.

And then she sees Karen rush past her, into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

She starts to follow after her, but she sees Jim standing in the doorway. He shakes his head, the slightest bit. And she knows him well enough to know what that means, and that she should leave Karen alone.

So she tries to go back to mingling.

* * * *

Jim walks out of the front door of Pam's apartment. He sits on the front step and breathes, for the first time that night.

He puts his face in his hands.

It had been terrible, hurting her. Worse than he'd ever expected. She hadn't deserved it. Any of it. And half of him wants to go in, apologize, tell her that he'd been wrong.

But he hadn't, and he knows it. Because he's learning that honesty is never wrong. It may not always get you where you want to be, but it's never wrong.

He sits for a few minutes, trying to clear his head, wanting to believe that it's all for the best. But he knows those words are so trite, so typical.

He hears the front door creak open behind him, but he doesn't turn to see who it is.

And it's Pam. She sits next to him on the step, putting a plate with a piece of the party sub on it between them, and a bottle of beer. She pulls the skirt of her dress over her knees.

She doesn't say anything for a moment, doesn't move. Neither does he.

"Do you want to share this sandwich with me?" she finally asks. "I'm starving. You must be hungry, too."

The funny thing is that, yeah, he is starving.

But he still doesn't speak. He accepts half of the sandwich that Pam hands to him. He takes a bite, chewing slowly. She does the same.

He eats most of it, throwing the rest down on the plate. He rubs crumbs off of his lap.

* * * *

Pam knows she's maybe stepping outside the lines by going outside to sit with him, but then again, she's really not sure where the lines are anymore.

"So," he says thoughtfully, his voice deep. "I'm pretty sure Karen and I are done."

"Pretty sure?"

"Like, ninety-nine point nine nine nine percent sure."

"Jim, that doesn't sound very sure to me. Are you sure you're sure?"

He turns and looks at her in that way, the way he'd looked at her right after she'd said What are you doing? that night he'd told her he was in love with her. She'd never been able to forget that look and it had haunted her for months.

She knows not to joke around right now.

"Well...what happened?" she asks hesitantly.

Jim sighs.

"I'm sorry," Pam says quickly. "You don't have to tell me." She looks down at her lap.

Jim speaks slowly, putting emphasis on each syllable, the way she knows he does when he's serious about something. "She told me that she knows the way that I had...felt about you, and she asked me if I still felt that way."

Pam takes a deep breath. She watches Jim bite his lower lip.

Oh, God, she thinks. And what did you say what did you say what did you say?

"Jim," she interjects, her better judgment taking over her desire to know. She'd rather never finding out, ever, if it meant him being that uncomfortable over telling her.

Well, maybe not ever, but still, she doesn't want to push it.

"Pam," he says, sliding his hand over her knee, touching her bare skin past the hem of her skirt. "Let's go inside, okay?" He almost-smiles, and she knows that look, too. She's seen it a million times.

She puts her hand over his, squeezing gently, her eyes meeting his.

"Okay," she says.

She knows there's still a whole hour until midnight.

as thirty dialogues bleed into one by 69 cups of noodles

 

Karen sits on the couch with her arms folded, wondering where Jim's sappy indie music was when she needed it.

She knows she'll get past this, and it's better knowing now than months from now. She scans her memory for some moment, any moment that she'd miss, but she can't come up with one, because they'd never really had any.

She looks around the room, and everyone seems happy, as they should be because it's New Year's Eve. They're keeping their eyes on the clock because it's only about an hour until midnight, almost time to begin 2007. She thinks she'll spend New Year's Day on her laptop scouring Monster.com and Craigslist. Or maybe she'll call corporate on Tuesday and ask for a transfer. She doesn't feel close to anybody in Scranton. And she'd never be able to look at Jim the same way ever again.

She feels the couch cushions next to her move, as someone sits. She turns her head, and it's Roy.

"Hey," she says, giving him a tight smile. "I thought you'd left already."

"No," Roy says, shaking his head. "I'm parked in. And it's almost midnight, anyway."

"Yeah."

"You know..." Roy pauses. "I never really thought it would be over between me and Pam for good. I guess I kind of thought we'd end up back together." He laughs, halfheartedly.

"Roy, I know we don't know each other very well, but I think that hoping for something like that is so unfair to you. I mean, we can't make people feel things, so why bother trying? If it's not there, it's not there."

Roy doesn't say anything and Karen knows she's probably overstepped her boundaries, but she also knows she's talking more about herself than she is about Roy.

She wants desperately to leave and she's torn between making a run for it, and staying behind to help clean up after the party that was, after all, her idea.

She decides to leave.

* * * *

"Pam?"

Pam turns her head from the sink where she's washing wine glasses.

Karen is standing in the doorway.

"Karen, what's up?" she asks, rubbing the back of her forehead with a soapy hand.

"Um, I was going to leave, if that's okay. I know it's kind of messed up, me bailing on you, but I'm really not feeling very good, and with everything..."

Pam nods her head. "Oh. Of course. Totally. I know it's been a crazy night, and I'm really sorry about all of it."

"No, it's...that's okay. I'm just going to go."

"Okay."

Pam watches as Karen turns and leaves.

She finishes washing dishes and dries her hands. She begins setting out trays of champagne glasses. She wonders where Jim is.

* * * *

Jim sees Karen rushing past him with her purse as he's coming out of the bathroom.

"Hey," he calls out to her. "Are you leaving, or...?"

"Yeah," she says, turning to face him. "I am."

"Well," he says, twisting his mouth, "Happy New Year." He wants to hit his head against something the minute he says it, because it comes out sounding...just...awful.

But she smiles at him, even though it's a sad smile, and she puts her hand on his arm before walking out the front door.

* * * *

At 11:16, Pam sees Roy go out her front door with his coat on. The headlights of his truck shine through the living room windows.

i wish the world was flat like the old days by 69 cups of noodles

 

He finds himself in Pam's bedroom again, alone this time, and it's weird being there after years of wanting to be in a place so intimate, so inherently Pam.

He takes his time looking at pieces of her art, her creations. He stops in front of an easel that she's got set up in the corner by the window, on top of an old paint-stained sheet, and the colors on the canvas are vibrant and he touches the dried paint, running his finger over the paint strokes.

He examines her photographs and true to what Karen had said, she does have his yearbook picture pinned up, which makes him both happy and disappointed.

Would she ever just say it? Whatever it is that she's thinking?

Because now he's lost Karen, and he's got nothing to hide behind, nowhere to run. The part of him that gave up months ago is still there, still alive, and he's got nothing to say to Pam that hasn't been said already.

And the part of him that wanted her, loved her, and would do anything for her is still alive too. He knows that if she tells him he'd never been wrong, he'd take her at her word and leave everything else behind. But if it didn't come from her, in her words, it would mean nothing.

He stops to think that this is the first time that there's nothing tangible to hold her back.

* * * *

She finds herself scanning the room for Jim, looking outside in the back and the front, wanting nothing more to see him and be next to him, in the place she'd always loved being, the place where she always used to feel safe and happy and herself.

The thought occurs to her that she could have felt that way all the time, if only she'd been honest, and she wonders if it's too late. She wonders if he'd never want that with her again.

She feels a sharp pain in her little toe and looks down, sliding her foot out of her shoe and sure enough, there's a huge blister forming. She crosses the living room into her bedroom to change her shoes.

And there he is.

Only the desk light is on and he's bent over her easel, looking at the watercolor she hadn't worked on for weeks, the one she'd given up on finishing.

She closes the door behind her.

I could just ask him now, she thinks, as he looks up at her. I could just ask him, and whatever he says, at least I'll know. I could tell him everything, and if he hates me for it, I won't feel any worse than I already do. What should I say? How should I put it?

"I was thinking about getting rid of that one," she hears herself say, pointing to the painting. "I haven't done anything to it in forever, and it's just not going anywhere." She pulls her sweater around her.

"I think it looks great," Jim says. "You shouldn't get rid of it. You never know when you might get inspired to finish it."

"Yeah."

She's quiet as he begins looking through her sketchbook, watching his eyes move back and forth as he takes in all of her drawings. He puts the book down and looks up at her, hands in his pockets.

Now, she tells herself. Maybe now. Say it.

"Listen, um, Jim. There's something I wanted to tell you." She twists the fingers of her right hand with her left.

He begins to move towards her and she freezes, not sure if she should keep going.

"Okay," he says softly. "Um, hold on to that thought for a minute though, because I want to see something first."

His eyes are burning into hers. She blinks, watching him.

He slides his fingers under the neckline of her sweater, gently pulling it off of her shoulders with both hands, his palms sliding over her skin as the sleeves slip from her arms. As the sweater falls to the ground at her feet, he holds on to her hands with his, and then he brings his hands back up and rests them on her arms, his thumbs lightly stroking the delicate skin on the insides of her elbows.

She feels goosebumps spring up on her forearms, because it's the first time all night her skin's been bare, and well, because.

He's been looking into her eyes but she watches him lower his gaze to both of her shoulders and her collarbone.

She stares at his lips, and knows how easy it would be to kiss him, but she's finally strong enough to say it, and she wants to say it, and she knows she can't kiss him until she says it.

"This," he whispers. "This is what I wanted to see. You...looking like this."

She vaguely hears the music and the laughing and the talking going on outside of her bedroom door. It sounds so far away.

then i could travel just by folding a map by 69 cups of noodles
He does it for a lot of reasons. He does it because she never would have done it herself, and he's okay with that. Because he knows she'd worn that dress knowing he'd be there tonight. And because he hadn't been able to stop himself.

He feels her skin beneath his palms, under his fingertips. She's mere inches from him and she doesn't move, doesn't run, doesn't object.

He looks at the soft curls of hair that spill over her right shoulder and he touches them with his fingers before letting his hands fall to his sides.

It doesn't hurt this time.

Her eyes are fixed on his, watching intently, patiently, almost as if she's waiting to see if he touches her again before she says or does anything.

"So, um, you had something you wanted to tell me?" he asks, rubbing the back of his neck. His voice is deep and quiet.

He prays silently, waiting for her to speak. He doesn't allow himself to predict what she's going to say.

"Yeah," she whispers. He braces himself, and leans into her a little bit.

He hears her breathe in before she speaks.

"Um, Jim," she says, her voice and her words so close to his face, "I...love you. I'm in love with you. And I think I've been, for a really, really long time." She hangs her head. "And I know that's probably the last thing you wanted to hear from me, after everything, but...I, um, really just thought I should...tell you."

He'd always wondered what it would feel like if (or when) she said it. Always, like, for years. Now he knows it feels light, like air, kind of like he's had twenty-five phonebooks resting on his head and shoulders for the past five years, then all of a sudden someone came and knocked them all off. It feels like that.

"Jim?" she breathes, bringing him back to earth.

"Oh, sorry," he says. He furrows his brow, focusing his eyes over her head. "Um, no, that's not the last thing I wanted to hear from you. I've been wanting to hear that from you for pretty much forever, actually." He takes her hands and his eyes meet hers. "And, I love you, too." He smiles, really smiles, and he knows he probably looks like a dork, but he doesn't care.

"I hoped you would say that," Pam says, smiling back, moving closer to him. He slides his hands around her waist and she puts hers against his shoulders, steadying herself.

He lowers his face towards hers, and he thinks their third kiss would really be their first.

"Jim," she whispers into his cheek, "it's not midnight yet."

"Oh." He presses his nose and lips into her hair, pulling her into him.

There is no leaving, this time.

no more airplanes or speed trains or freeways by 69 cups of noodles

 

The music in the next room suddenly gets quiet, and Pam can hear the counting begin.

Ten...nine...

She holds on to Jim's biceps, her fingers digging in. She wants it to be her, this time. She wants to be the one to kiss him, because holding back is so 2006 and she wants the very first second of this new year to consist of something she's done, a chance she's taken.

She likes that it can finally be that way.

Kelly bursts into the bedroom nine seconds until midnight, grabs Pam's arm and pulls her out into the living room by the hand, shrieking "Pam! It's almost time! Come watch the ball drop!"

As she's being rushed out of the bedroom, she turns and looks at Jim with an exasperated look on her face, but she's smiling, and God, so is he, in a way that she doesn't think she's ever seen.

Eight...seven...

Pam and Jim join everyone standing around the TV in a semicircle, he on one end of the group and she on the other and they start counting, occasionally taking their eyes off of Carson Daly to glance at each other. It still feels like it's just the two of them, even though they're surrounded by people and voices.

Six...five...four...

Pam waits until second four to start crossing towards the other side of the room to where Jim's standing. She calculates that it'll give her exactly enough time. His smile broadens as she makes her way towards him, and she's giddy over the fact that she can make him do that. The idea that she could just kiss him right now, just because she wants to, thrills her to no end.

New Year's is never this exciting.

Three...two...

Pam takes a deep breath and stands as close to Jim as she possibly can, so close that she can smell his new shirt, his shaving cream, the leather of his belt.

If anyone's watching them (which they probably are), Pam doesn't notice. It's okay that she and Jim work together, and that they work with mostly everyone else in the room. They always have. Somehow she doesn't think that the majority of them would be shocked at what's going to happen when the clock turns midnight.

One.

Everyone's clapping and hugging and shouting "Happy New Year!" but Pam doesn't give Jim a chance to say or do anything.  She throws her arms around his neck, pulling herself up and into him, her lips crashing into his. She feels his hands go around her waist, sliding up her lower back. She feels him smile against her lips, and she lets her fingers get lost in the hair on the back of his head.

The anticipation makes it so much better.

* * * *

She completely throws him off guard by kissing him, even though he couldn't have asked for something he wanted more than that.

He doesn't have to think twice about giving into it. Her mouth is soft and warm and she tastes like champagne, and he wishes he could fast-forward to the part when it's just them, alone.

Not that he's expecting anything, but...

* * * *

The party begins to fizzle out by 1:00 and soon it's just Pam, Kelly, Ryan and Jim, picking up plastic plates and cups and glass bottles and throwing them into giant trash bags.

Ryan and Kelly leave around 2:00, and Pam kind of likes that fact that people maybe know what's going on between her and Jim, the fact that not only did she kiss him at midnight, but also that he's the last to leave.

Finally, though, the two of them are alone, in her apartment, and the only light is coming from the Christmas tree, the string of lights around the perimeter of the living room, and the light from outside shining through the window. They can still hear the sound of firecrackers being set off in the street.

"So," Pam says, clasping her hands in front of her. "Are you in a big hurry to get home?"

"Yeah, huge hurry, actually. So, I'm gonna go. Now.  Great party.  See you Tuesday."

Pam swats him. "Yeah, right. You're not going anywhere."

"Is that a demand?"

"Maybe."

He puts his hands on her hips and pulls her close to him, his palms swishing over the pink silk of her dress. He kisses her.

She leads him by the hand into her bedroom, not bothering to shut the door this time, because sometimes things just feel right.

He lies next to her, on his side, his hand cradling the side of her face, his tongue exploring her mouth. She has her hands on his chest, his tie off, and she starts unbuttoning his shirt, fingers sweeping over blue silk. She lets him take his arms out of the sleeves, throwing the shirt on the floor next to the bed. She gives him a minute for his big hands to fumble with the teeny-tiny zipper in the back of her dress before she whispers, "Here. Let me."

She slides out of the soft fabric, pulling the dress down over her hips and down her legs, and she watches him take her all in with his eyes. She can't believe she's gone so many years without someone looking at her the way Jim Halpert is looking at her right now.

* * * *

He unbuckles his belt, unbuttons and unzips his pants, taking them off and throwing them on the floor next to his shirt.

He feels her fingers slip under the waistband of his boxer-briefs, and when she does that a chill goes through him like being outside in a freezing-rain storm. He breathes in sharply.

She's got on a strapless bra which he deftly removes, grateful that he's able to make up for not getting the zipper. His heart stops, for real, when her bra comes off and he's staring at her breasts. For real. He takes his hand and touches one, his thumb stroking her nipple. She makes a little noise and he gets very, very hard.

She rubs over his erection with her hand, over his underwear first, then finally sliding them down, letting him pull them off. She takes him firmly in her hand, and slides it up and down over the tip and up the base. It's more than he can handle.

He presses his lips against her chest, using his tongue to make tiny wet circles, sucking gently.

With both hands, he runs his hands over her hipbones, his fingers grazing her lower stomach. He feels her shiver and he smiles. Her eyes haven't left his.

He uses his fingers to explore her, first the wet outside, then finally the inside. He thinks nothing is as beautiful.

He decides to use a condom because he knows it makes her feel better, even though she's on the pill.

When he's finally inside of her, she moans and she holds on to his chest, her fingernails digging into his skin. The way she closes around him is so perfect and wonderful. He watches her as he moves over her. He loves the way she looks when he pushes up fast and slides out very, very slow.

He does that until she comes, breathlessly, her hair on the back of her neck damp with sweat. He comes right after she does, and he holds her tight, tight, tight as his body quivers.

* * * *

They start to fall asleep around 4:00 am, after talking about New Year's and what they normally do every year.

"Jim," Pam says, her voice groggy, her eyelids heavy. "Did you make any resolutions this year?"

"Besides calling my mom more often, no."

"Me neither. Let's make a resolution."

"Okay."

"You go first."

Jim breathes in through his nose as he pulls her close to him under the comforter.

"I resolve to tell you I love you at least three times a day," he says, his lips on her forehead.

"Wow," Pam says against his neck. "I was just going to resolve to start making my bed every day. You so have me beat."

"As usual, Pam."

She can't remember the last time sleeping was so nice.

there'd be no distance that could hold us back by 69 cups of noodles

 

They go for breakfast the next morning, at a diner off of the Carbondale Highway, the only place they can find open on New Year's Day.

"Is this our first real date?" She asks, taking his hand as they walk towards the entrance.

"Yes. Our first real date is at a diner in Scranton, I'm still in last night's clothes, you're in your pajamas, and we're both hung-over. It's the way I've always planned it, Pam."

She laughs.

She thinks it's probably the most perfect first date ever.

* * * *

Back at work on Tuesday, Pam sitting behind her desk when Jim walks in, hanging up his coat and scarf. He sees the cameras are already set up, zoning in on Pam's desk.

"Hey, Pam," he says, casually.

"Good morning, Jim," she says, not looking up from her monitor.

"Hey, so, how was your New Year's?" He asks, elbows resting on her desk.

"Pretty good. How about you? Oh, did you end up going to that party you were talking about on Friday?"

Jim tries to hide his smile. "Yeah," he says, nodding. "Actually I did, and I was very impressed with the variety of colored napkins."

"Good to hear. I'm glad you had a good time. Anything else interesting happen?"

"Oh! Yeah, Carson Daly wore white earmuffs. I have to get a pair of those."

"Awesome. Hey, maybe we can get together for lunch today and talk about Carson's earmuffs."

"Sounds good, Pam."

He smiles as he turns to go towards his desk. She beams back at him.

* * * *

He sits in front of the camera in the break room. "So, I got copied on an e-mail from Corporate that said Karen transferred to the office in New York. And, she won't be coming back." His eyes drop to his lap. He shrugs. "I guess she did what she had to do."

His face brightens when they ask him about the party.

"Yes, I did go to Pam's party. And, I had a pretty awesome time. She and I...well, I'm sure you can figure it out." He smiles broadly and looks away. "It was a really good party."

* * * *

She sits in the conference room, facing the camera. "Do I feel bad that Karen's gone?" She repeats. "Well, yeah, of course. But in the long run, it's probably better for her. I mean, it just is."

"But my party was a success, I think. Everyone's been talking to me about it all day, saying what a good time they had. It got off to a little bit of a rocky start, but by the time midnight came, people kind of started coming together."

She smiles at the memory.

"And that's exactly how you want to start a new year."

 

 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=817