- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I wouldn't have written a wedding story at all, except that then Karen went and caught the bouquet in my head and then...well.



Figured I should go ahead and actually write it before I get Jossed.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
1. Pam

Her date was useless for conversation--he ignored her in favor of Ryan--so she turned to Kelly and asked if she had enjoyed the ceremony, which got Kelly talking about how as a kid she used to pretend she was getting married and act out her wedding. Which led to discussion of what games of pretend everyone at the table used to play as children. Jim wouldn't tell. Pam and Karen started guessing: cowboy? Astronaut? Doctor?

He flinched when Pam guessed knight. Just the tiniest reaction, but she noticed. She imagined him as a child, wielding a stick for a sword.

2. Karen

She let Kelly talk her into going to the bouquet toss. Pam stayed behind the group, arms crossed. Kelly ran up to the front. Karen went for the middle ground.

The bouquet fell right into her arms. She stared at it an instant, then turned to find Jim, holding it up, amused.

For just an instant she saw his look of pure terror. He covered quickly, smoothed his expression back to a careful grin. But it was too late; she'd seen behind the mask. She walked back, tossed the bouquet on the table, dragged Jim out the door. They needed to talk.

3. Jim

He sits outside. Karen left in her car, which means he'll need a ride. He doesn't want to go back in alone though.

Pam comes out and sits beside him. She reaches out and takes his hand in both of hers. Her hands are soft.

"I used to pretend I was a fairy princess," she says. "I drew maps of my kingdom and everything."

"Fairy, huh? Regular princess not good enough for you?"

"I wanted to be able to fly." They stare at the stars awhile.

"I'm tired of pretending," he whispers.

"Yeah," she says softly, resting her head on his shoulder. "Me too."


kaywinnit is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Let's Pretend also liked 2240 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans