- Text Size +
Story Notes:

To her constant surprise, she’s come to learn that even the most absurd can make absolute sense.   

Lyrics from the title: When All is Said And Done  Maybe it's not perfect - but it's close. ;)

Author's Chapter Notes:
Improv!Fic - Started by ObsessionInc - Prompts by GreenFish.
 

She wanders through the living room completely exhausted, a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio cradled in her hand.   She surveys the room around her; its chaos comforting her instead of making her cringe. 

She used to think there was so much more she needed but lately she found the things she once thought were important simply didn't matter anymore. 

A year ago she managed a staff of many, now she's only got two people to supervise; one who isn't able to articulate at all, another who isn't all that articulate.

She sinks onto the couch, jumping up with a yelp when she lands on a pair of thong sandals.  She remembers when he'd bought them, from a vendor on the beach in Jamaica.  It seems like a lifetime ago.

It's funny, how things can change, she thinks as she takes a long sip of her wine.  A year ago on an average night she'd find herself at one of the finest restaurants in New York, nibbling on toast points spread with foie gras.  Now it seems her idea of a gourmet meal is mac and cheese from a blue cardboard box.

She used to be on a first name basis with her dry cleaner, her black and navy suits lined up like soldiers wrapped in plastic in her walk in closet.  Now she finds post-it notes crumpled in her jacket pockets with phrases like "Please pick up FunJeans!" scrawled across them.

A sound from the other room spurs her to move.  She thinks she hears the strains of ABBA - more specifically Dancing Queen as she makes her way through an obstacle course of building blocks and stuffed animals.  She can't help the smile from blooming across her face as she peers inside the tiny room, catching sight of her daughter giggling and gurgling in her father's arms. 

She used to tell herself all she wanted was to be taken seriously.  It's times like these when she knows that there was never really a need to second-guess herself.    She's come to learn that there's something to be said for the ordinary and the simple.  In this year she's come to learn that the best things in life are not really champagne and caviar.  She's come to learn that sometimes what people view as success can really amount to nothing more than a life of solitude.

To her constant surprise, she's come to learn that even the most absurd can make absolute sense.   

Chapter End Notes:

Foie gras

Abba

Thong sandals

FunJeans!

Pinot Grigio

Began at 7:05 AM - Posted at 8:06 AM!!  412 Words. :)



xoxoxo is the author of 67 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans