- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
My opinion for the speculation. I wrote this before tonight's episode but couldn't get it posted earlier.  Thanks to shan21 for beta and I own nothing.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The evening began as any other Corporate party does: professional, boring and stuffy.  But after everyone had a few drinks, things started to loosen up, and Michael deemed this his perfect opportunity to show off his new skills he learned from vacation. 

"Speaking of magic tricks, I would like everyone's attention.  I have a trick that I think everyone will be flabbergasted by."  Everyone at the party momentarily glanced at Michael and then resumed their previous conversations. 

"This is a little thing I picked up while I was in Jamaica, with my girlfriend Jan, whom you may all know ."  He pointed over at her, just in case her own co-workers couldn't figure it out.

" We spent the night in this little hut with a Jamaican witchdoctor.  Or Rastafarian... but he taught us all these useful tips that I don't remember... but this trick I do.  So, just watch." 

Without warning, Michael snatched the beer bottle out of the hand of the man standing next to him.  He placed the bottle between his lips and tilted his head back.  The liquid from the bottle spilled out and drenched Michael's dress shirt as he sputtered and struggled to regain his composure.

He looked at the camera, slightly embarrassed and exclaimed in a huff "How was I supposed to know that the beer bottle had beer in it?  Honestly, who carries around a bottle that is full?  He totally ruined my trick.  And now I'm supposed to run around this classy party with my girlfriend Jan, who's over there, in case you didn't know, with a shirt full of beer." 

Michael spotted Jim from across the room, chatting with the new CFO of Dunder Mifflin.  He walked over and grabbed him by the arm and dragged him away.  "Michael, what are you doing?"  Jim asked.

"You need to help me!  I spilled on my shirt and now Jan won't let me walk around and meet anyone with her."

"Well, you know who would be perfect for this?  Dwight. He always carries extra clothing around with him.  He brought extra Birkenstocks to my barbecue.  See if he could help you out." 

"Wow... you always know the right thing to do" Michael said, his voice tight with emotion as he pulled out his cell phone.

*****************

 "I would do anything for Dunder Mifflin.  I would drive across town, donate a kidney, or perform a surgery.  Or as the case presented itself: giving Michael the shirt off my back."  Dwight said to the camera, as he sat in his car.  "Loyalty.  That's what it's all about.  Company loyalty."

Dwight drove all the way to the party in New York to hand deliver Michael the first shirt he grabbed.  He proudly presented Michael a collector's edition Battlestar Galactica t-shirt. 

"God, Dwight, I said a nice shirt, not something made for geeks" Michael exclaimed. 

******************** 

Since the Corporate party took Michael out of the office, everyone left early for the day and met up at Poor Richard's to have a drink together.

Pam decided to ride with Roy but regretted it after they arrive at the bar.  She thought he has changed.  But he hasn't. 

Roy still was the same old Roy, but in disguise.  Like a wolf in sheep's clothing.  He was trying, but it just was not enough for Pam.  He was just too eager to please her without actually trying to understand what she wants.  He had come to her art show, but only to boast that he had.  He left early and she was alone.  Again.  She decided that she wouldn't stand for it anymore.  She's Fancy New Beesley now, and isn't going to back down anymore. 

********************

Meredith saw Pam pull Roy over into the corner of the bar and talking.  Meredith can see that the discussion is not a pleasant one.  Pam waved her hands around and Roy's face showed hurt, desperation, and a hint of anger.  But it ended with a hug and Roy leaving a surprisingly content  Pam behind.

****************

Pam tried to listen to Kelly and Phyllis talk throughout the night, but wasn't able to focus on any of the words.  She just told Roy that she couldn't be with him, not now or ever.  He wasn't happy (obviously) but he said he wasn't surprised.  He noticed that things had changed between them and agreed it was best they both went their own ways.  She was free of Boring Old Beesley, leaving free range for Fancy New Beesley to burst out. 

As much as she tried to enjoy her new independence, her memories shifted to thoughts of the person she desperately wanted to be at the barstool next to her.  The one who was at the corporate party with his girlfriend.  Someone who it seemed would never fill that void in her life. 

*******************

Karen enjoyed meeting new people, especially ones that can help with her career.  Sure, Dunder-Mifflin wasn't the most exciting of jobs, but it pays the bills and she's good at it.  She really wanted to advance higher, to a position similar to Jan's.  She's better suited for a job managing people, rather than selling paper to people. 

She was ecstatic that Jim invited her to cocktail party for management.  He had been acting distant and crabby lately.  She's hoped that a night out together, sans Pam, would help them get back into their groove.  She knew their problems of late were partially due to the whole situation with her.  Pam.

But as much as she wanted to blame all her problems on Pam, she knew deep down it's partially because things haven't been the greatest between her and Jim.  She does have a sense of humor, but sometimes she felt that Jim is too immature.  She loved that he's so goofy and could ease the tension in any room with his jokes, but sometimes he goes too far. 

The day after Dwight quit, she was busy working on the extra workload and he wanted to pull a prank.  He had no sense of when to stop playing around and when it was time to work.  Sometimes she felt that they just don't fit together as well as they did in Stamford  Sometimes she just doesn't get Jim.  Maybe they should....  No.  She doesn't break up with guys.

***************** 

Jim listened unenthusiastically to one of the corporate big-wigs drone on about something that he really did not want to.  The phone in his pants pocket started to vibrate and was relieved to have an excuse to leave.  He flipped open his phone to see a text message from Pam:

"Angela called me a jezebel.  Please save me!" 

He grinned at the message, knowing all too well the damage that was happening at Poor Richards.  He wished that he could be there, at least there he could have fun.  He looked up to find Karen to tell her the developments in Scranton.  He found her standing in the corner, her hand on some guy's arm.  Her head is thrown back and her smile is larger than he's ever seen it.  It's all too obvious that she's flirting with this guy.

He walked over to her and pulled her outside for some privacy. 

"What is it, Jim?  What's going on?"  Karen asked him, with a slightly pissed look on her face. 

"What was going on in there?" 

"What?  I was talking to my ex-boyfriend" Karen said, not looking any happier.

"Whatever, are you ready to go because I don't want to be here anymore."  Jim asked, praying she'd say yes. 

"No, Jim, I want to stay, I'm having fun"

"Yeah because you want to flirt with your ex some more" he muttered somewhat under his breath.  

"Excuse me? You know what, Jim?  No, you don't get to do this, you have your share of issues too you know.  We're not working anymore.  Screw you, you can find your own way home because we're through!"  She yelled angrily as she stomped away back into the party.

*************

Jim walked around outside to cool off and tried to figure out how he was going to get home for the night.  Just as he is about to walk back into the party, he saw Dwight walk out the door.  For the first time in his life, Jim is never happier to say he's glad to see Dwight. 

He crossed the lawn and greeted Dwight "Hey Dwight.  I can't believe I'm going to ask this, but can I go back to Scranton with you?" 

Dwight stared at him with a suspicious look on his face.  "Why?  Are you planning to sabotage me?  Run me off the road?"

"No, Dwight, I really just need a ride."  Jim said wearily, not in the mood for messing with Dwight.  There's a first time for everything, he thought as he opened the door to Dwight's car.  He spent the entire car ride home with his head against the window, trying to figure out how his life got so screwed up. 

**************

Dwight was nervous having Jim in his car.  He didn't trust him.  Even though they had been allies at one time, Jim was never truthful with him.  Everything was a prank or some sort of ruse.  Thoughts were  "Jim, you don't look so good.  Are you sure you don't have the Avian Flu?  I've heard that's been going around." 

"No, Dwight, I just broke up with Karen" Jim said in hopes that Dwight would drop it and stop talking. 

"Fact: Penguins mate for life.  They find a partner who they're meant to be with and stay with them for life" Dwight said as he shrugged his shoulders " So maybe Karen wasn't your penguin." 

As Dwight continued to ramble on about penguins and mating patterns, Jim kept hearing what he said replay in his head. 

There was something about what Dwight had said that made something inside Jim click.  He realized what he truly wanted to do. 

"Hey, Dwight, can you drop me off somewhere?  There's something I have to do"

**************

He walked into the door.  He scanned the room and spotted who he was looking for. He saw her curly hair pulled up and light pink button up shirt.  His gaze caught hers and they smiled at one another.  He walked across the room and slid next to her.  He placed his arm over her shoulder and took a sip of her beer and asked "So, what'd I miss?"



WildBerryJam is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Even Fancy Things Have Finally Lost Their Charm also liked 1889 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans