- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The Office and its characters do not belong to me.
 

It was the last thing she wanted. Not really. Maybe. She hadn't wanted that, not like that. She'd wanted a brand new start, to clear the air and to be completely open and honest with him. And herself.


Honestly was the best policy. She hated stupid sayings like that. Things that people said for no other reason than that people had been saying them for years. Repeated words, empty and meaningless. A lot like the same words that would float in her head throughout the day. Empty and meaningless thoughts of hope and happiness.


New days, new persona. She wanted lite beer, she got it. She wanted a different type of relationship, she made it happen. That's what she did now, made things happen. Because things don't just happen to you, not really. There's only so much you can leave up to fate.


Brighter smiles, darker lipstick and softer sweaters. Standing taller, sitting up straight and speaking louder. Positive thoughts, dirtier jokes and flirting eyes. That's what her gut was forcing her to try.


Panic, blurring vision from the tears and nails in her palms. Her face blushing crimson and her voice cracking with fear. Thundering screaming in her ears so loud it could drown out the empty and meaningless thoughts in her head. People staring and the old feeling to hide coming back.


Suddenly there's broken glass and shattered dreams lying in front of her in pieces on the floor. They seem to spell out the answer, making everything incredibly clear. Her gut pushing her along to get up, say goodbye and leave.


Behind the tears is a giddy feeling of excitement, fear and relief. There's only so much you can leave up to fate. But sometimes it's life that saves you from yourself.



katrina87 is the author of 14 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans