- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is response to an Improv!Fic/ five random objects challenge I asked for over at TWoP. I work at Borders, and there are very slow periods so this was the perfect way to pass the time. Special thanks to Starshine629 for my five random objects! Also, this fic did not have a beta reader due to the sort of improv/fast writing approach. If there is anything major, I will go back and fix it. But I think it's readable. Oh, also sorry if there are formatting problems. If someone wouldn't mind telling me the secret to making my text the same size, that'd be awesome. I'm using OpenOffice but saving as .doc (if that helps).

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It was a warm, breezy morning in Bethany Beach, Delaware. Perfect honeymoon weather. Pam woke up and rolled over on her stomach. She yawned and smiled as she looked over at her new husband. Pam began kissing his neck, causing him to stir. “Mmm...Pam...what time is it?”

Pam smiled, “Time to get up and enjoy this perfect beach day.”

Toby frowned, “You mean we actually have to go out and do things?”

Pam gave him a stern look but began to laugh, “Yes! We haven't been to the boardwalk or beach in the two days we've been here. I have a new bikini and I want to wear-”

“Okay,” Toby grinned. “Beach and boardwalk today.”

Somehow, Pam and Toby managed to lug all the beach gear from the rental house. They set up a spot near one of the beach front houses. Toby struggled to set up the umbrella, much to Pam's amusement. “Hey Toby? Did you bring those portable speakers? I want to set up my iPod.”

“You mean the crappy ones from the house? Yeah, they're around here somewhere...”

Toby dug around the bag and triumphantly presented Pam with the speakers. “You should set it up on the cooler.”

Pam nodded, and soon the sounds of the Beach Boys (much to Toby's embarrassment) filled their tiny beach oasis.

“Umm, so when are you going to model that new bikini? We could be back at the house but someone had to wear their new bathing suit...”

Pam laughed and pulled off her shorts and t-shirt, “Good thing you're here. I need a handsome man to put lotion on my back.”


After relaxing underneath the umbrella and finally finishing the book he'd been working on for months, Toby stretched and asked, “Ocean?”

Pam gave him a look that said “In this bikini? Are you crazy?”

Toby smiled, “Alright, I'll be back in a little.”

He leaned down, gave Pam a kiss, and jogged down to the shoreline. Pam watched him swimming and body surfing for a minute before turning back to her book. She was interrupted by a loud scream. Pam jerked her head up and saw Toby struggling to get out of the water. Pam took off running and when she reached Toby, she breathlessly asked, “Are you okay?”

Toby winced, “I stepped on something. I think maybe a shell or something.”

Pam looked at Toby's foot and gasped when she saw the large, bleeding cut on the sole. “We need to get you to the hospital. You might need stitches.”

Toby groaned. The lifeguards assisted Toby back to the house and Pam drove him down Coastal Highway to the emergency room in Ocean City. After a brief wait, a doctor examined the cut and determined it wouldn't require stitches, but a pair of crutches and an antibiotic would do the trick. As the doctor pulled out his prescription pad, the nurse brought in a pair of crutches and adjusted them for Toby's height. The doctor handed Pam the prescription with instructions to get it filled straight away in order to prevent any bacterial growth. Pam couldn't say anything but “I'm sorry” on their way out of the ER. Toby leaned over and whispered, “It's all worth it because of the bikini.”

Pam blushed and smiled, “Get in the car. We should find some food. I'm starving.”

Toby climbed in a looked at the prescription lying on the center console. “Huh, I wouldn't have pegged the doctor to be a purple ink kind of guy.”


*******



“Are you sure you can manage with those crutches?” Pam said with concern in her voice. “We don't really have to do the boardwalk tonight if you aren't feeling up to it...”

“Pam, it's okay. I've been on crutches before. Besides this we can take our time and maybe even get preferential treatment. But, you will have to rub my sore armpits tonight.”

Pam laughed and slapped Toby on the arm playfully.

“Hey! You are not allowed to attack me in my condition. So food, Mrs. Flenderson? Where do you want to go?”

After dining at the incredibly elegant Grotto Pizza, Pam and Toby made their way to the town center and boardwalk. Occasionally, they would duck into a store and look at the tacky souvenirs and checking out funny postcards to send to their family. Pam pulled Toby into a store with tons of assorted beach tackiness stacked out front. Toby smiled as he watched Pam stare at the cage of hermit crabs. “We should get one for Sasha,” she murmured.

“I think she would really like that.”

“Which one do you think she'd like?” Pam asked as she stared intently into the cage. “Maybe that one with the light pink shell?”

“Good choice,” Toby replied, planting a kiss on Pam's temple. “We should grab one of those hermit crab kits and when we get home,” he bumped her playfully, “we can get an aquarium or something.”

“Yeah, home...” Pam smiled.

As they were checking out, Pam was idly browsing through the key rings by the register. She grabbed a silly looking jeweled flip flop key chain from the rack. Toby gave her a puzzled look. “Just a cheap souvenir so we can remember this in like, fifty years. I don't think the hermit crab will last as long as us.”

Toby wrapped his arm around Pam and hugged her tightly.

************


Toby and Pam slowly made their way down the boardwalk, stopping often to look at the beach and to sit on the benches to people watch. Halfway down from the main entrance, Toby spotted an arcade with a claw machine. “Hey Pam? Do you remember when a bunch of us went to Poor Richard's? The night where Roy destroyed the bar?”

Pam groaned, “How could I forget?”

“Well, remember that stuffed duck?”

Pam titled her head, “You mean Sasha's duck? The duck you won?”

Toby nodded, “Well, not to sound creepy or anything but uh, when we first got to the bar you mentioned how you thought the duck was cute so, uh, I won it. For you.”

“Really?”

Toby nodded. “So since I know if I win something now, you have to accept it...pick something from that machine and it's yours.”

“Um...how about that fluffy white dog?”

“The one in the back? You must think I'm an amateur at the claw machine.”

Toby pulled a dollar bill from his wallet and went to get change. Seventy-five cents later, the fluffy white dog was in the claws grip and was violently dropped into the dispenser. “Ta-da! A fluffy white dog for you, madam.”

Pam took the dog and kissed Toby. “I'm sorry about the duck. I mean, I guess I was just distracted with everything that was going on. But just so you know, I did mean that I was looking forward to hanging out with you. And I guess it was kind of a first step to all this, right?”

“So you're saying we have a toy duck to thank for our falling in love?”

“Well, not entirely. We have chai tea lattes to thank too.”

A slow smile spread across Toby's face. “About those chai tea lattes...”

Chapter End Notes:
The five objects: a jeweled flip-flip keychain, Doctor's prescription pad, (crappy) portable speakers, a purple pen, and a fluffy white dog. Finished in about two hours (two cafe shifts and a lunch break), though it's hard to calculate since I had to do some work while I was writing. But certainly less than three hours. I promise.


dylan619xf is the author of 4 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans