- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Improv!fic, 5 prompts, 2 hours, no beta. Prompts listed at the end of the story. For fireworkfiasco and 69con, who both suggested I write an Oscar/Angela. Inspired by the first deleted scene from Cocktails. Originally posted on LJ.  :)

 

 

Certain events have transpired, and I’ve thought about certain things, and I’m sorry for the way those certain events transpired, and I would just like to make some changes about certain things, and certain situations, and certain accountants…

 

Kevin is incompetent. Some days she thinks she might find a credit from some special needs worker program. She wouldn’t be surprised.

 

“You forgot again.”

 

“I said I was sorry, Angela.”

 

“Again, Kevin, again.”

“I’m having a bad day.”

 

“What does that have to do with this?”

 

“I was trying to watch my favorite movie this morning before work-“

 

“So that’s why you were late again.”

 

“…and the DVD is scratched. It is my second copy, Angela. Second copy.”

“I will never understand you.”

 

“I have to go talk to Creed.” He gets up and shuffles away. Looking after him, she sighs and reminds herself that patience is a virtue.

 

Oscar walks up, holding a glass of water. When he sits down, he looks over at her, and she shakes her head.

 

“What is it, Angela?”

 

“Kevin.”

 

“Oh, no.”

 

“Oh, yes. He forgot again.”

 

“Again?” Oscar laughs a little. “You know, I always wondered if he would be gone by the time I came back.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Well, yes. It doesn’t seem like he did much, plus I know you’ve always wanted-“

 

“He’s incompetent, but there are others I would much rather see fired.”

 

“Okay,” Oscar shrugs, taking a bottle of aspirin out of his desk drawer. “I have such a headache.”

 

“I’m sorry.” She bites back her response of of course you do, you live in a state of constant sin, because she is trying to change certain situations.

 

“Yeah, I hope it will be gone by tonight, Gil has a couple of tickets to a show.”

 

“A show?” Probably some theatre thing.

 

“Yeah, the newest Cirque show? He really wants to see it.” He shakes out a couple of pills into his hand, swallows them down with a sip of water.

 

“That sounds disgusting.” She was trying to tape a Billy Graham special on PBS one night, but it taped one of those…shows instead. It was horrifying.

 

“Yeah, I don’t really want to go.”

 

“Really? I thought you would love something like that.” She can’t filter everything she says.

 

“Why, Angela, because I’m gay?”

 

She doesn’t answer.

 

“I’ve always thought it was creepy, and over the top, but Gil says it’s innovative. He watched the creator on 60 Minutes a while ago and won’t stop talking about how he’s such a genius.”

 

“I don’t know why someone should be rewarded for inventing filthy things for a living.”

 

“I agree.”

 

Sometimes she thinks she likes Oscar better now that he’s back. She can’t decide if that’s because of her resolution or because she may have misjudged him, slightly.

 

“If you have a headache, Oscar, then don’t go.”

 

“No, I have to.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I’m doing it for Gil. Sometimes you do something you don’t want to when you’re in a relationship.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“Do you?”

 

“I have a friend, and she is dating a man who enjoys…certain activities. She went, for this man, to an archery show. Flying arrows everywhere. She spent the day in a state of constant fear.”

 

Oscar stares at her for a moment. “Your friend sounds…brave.”

 

“She is.”

 

Kevin returns, pulling something out of the cabinet behind his desk.

 

“Hey guys.”

 

She regards him critically. “Kevin, there is dirt on your back.”

 

“What?” He turns his head, trying to reach behind him. “Where?”

 

Oscar looks up. “It’s in the middle, Kevin, between your shoulder blades. How did you get dirt there?”

 

“He gets dirt everywhere, Oscar.”

 

Kevin turns in a circle, trying to see. “You are not helping, Angela.” He keeps turning, awkwardly trying to grab at his back.

 

“Kevin, why don’t you take your coat off, and then look at the dirt?”

 

“Good idea, Oscar.” He takes off his coat, rubbing at the spot. “I have no idea how this happened.”

 

“Well, you are quite forgetful today, aren’t you?” Angela crosses her arms.

 

“Yeah, Kevin, you forgot again? Oscar crosses his legs, rests his elbow on the side of the desk.

 

Kevin looks at them both. “Shut up, you guys. I’m going to go wash this off in the bathroom.”

 

They watch him leave, and then Oscar turns toward Angela.

 

“He’s going to have a wet back all day.”

 

“At least we won’t have to look at it.”

 

Oscar laughs. “True. But we’ll know it’s there.”

 

“I wish I could forget when he’s there, sometimes.”

 

“Me too…no, let’s not be too hard on him.”

 

She nods and they both return to work. After a minute, Oscar clears his throat. She looks up.

 

“What?”

 

“I bet Kevin hasn’t filed his taxes yet.”

 

“Oh, don’t remind me. Remember last year when we had to help him file an extension? He is an accountant.”

 

“I know! I’ve already received my refund check.”

 

“Me too, my taxes were filed the day after we sent out the W2s.”

 

“I’ve been preparing mine since December.”

 

She smiles, looking smug. “November.”

 

He grins back. “Impressive.”

 

They grow quiet again as they get return to work, ignoring Kevin when he somehow returns with the front of his jacket wet. Angela finds herself somewhat distracted toward the end of the day, and starts removing tape from her poster, carefully rolling it up. She looks up to find Oscar and Kevin staring at her.

 

“What are you doing, Angela?”

 

“It’s none of your business, Kevin.

 

“You’re taking down your poster.”

 

Oscar shuffles the papers in front of him. “Why are you taking it down?”

 

“Maybe I want to take it home. I’m thinking of framing it for my living room.”

 

Kevin chokes out a laugh, and she glares at him. Oscar looks at her until she feels uncomfortable.

 

“Thank you, Angela.”

 

She doesn’t want to say you’re welcome, because he isn’t and that’s not why she’s taking it down. She doesn’t think.

 

“I saw a new one I want to get for here.”

 

Kevin giggles again. “What is this one? Babies fishing?”

 

“No, Kevin, it is baby firefighters. They’re holding a hose in little hats, and putting out a tiny fire.”

 

Oscar blinks at her. “That sounds…precious.”

 

“It is. I’ll put it up here soon. Maybe in…a couple of weeks.”

 

“Oh.” Oscar smiles at her.

 

Kevin looks between them. “What is up with you guys today?”

 

They both turn to him.

 

“When are you filing your taxes, Kevin?”

 

“No fair, Oscar, I am having a bad day.”

“Maybe if you filed them sooner you could buy as many copies of your filthy movie as you want.” Angela regards him levelly.

 

Do not bring American Pie 2 into this.”

 

“She has a point, Kevin.”

 

Kevin stands. “I hate you guys.” He walks off in the direction of the break room.

 

Oscar looks at the clock. “Well, I guess it’s time to go, huh?”

 

“It is that time.” She runs her finger lightly over the top of the rolled up poster.

 

Oscar stands. “Good night, Angela…have a nice time…getting your poster framed.”

 

“And I hope your headache goes away in time for your repulsive show.”

 

“Thank you, Angela.”

 

“Good night, Oscar.”




Prompts:
-two tickets to the show
-a scratched DVD
-a pill bottle
-a forgotten...something
-a smudge of dirt

 



Bennie is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked because of reasons also liked 17 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans