- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to take this in a slightly different direction...

He told Kenny to go home. He needed to be by himself.

“Are you sure, man? We can find this Halpern guy—”

“Halpert,” Roy muttered. “Fucking Halpert.”

“Whatever. We can find him. Take care of some business.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Roy said. “I can take care of him on my own.”

“The night is young, Roy! Let’s do some damage.”

Normally, Kenny wouldn’t argue with Roy. Normally, he knew when Roy had been pushed far enough. But Kenny had had a bad day, and he really, really wanted to punch someone.

“Go home, Kenny. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

Kenny finally got in his car and drove off, probably still a little drunk but not so much that other people would notice. Roy sighed and got into his own truck.

It still smelled like Pam. Whatever new shampoo she was using. At first, Roy hadn’t really liked it. One of the things he had missed the most about Pam was the vanilla smell that she left in their bathroom, the way her hair smelled a little like cookies. Now it was some kind of flower or something. But it was nice. He was getting used to it.

He breathed deeply. He probably wasn’t going to get anymore chances to smell Pam’s smell in his truck.

God. That had been so damn stupid. After all these months of trying to pull himself together so that Pammie would love him again, after finally figuring out what it would take to win her back, he had gone and thrown a glass and made her hate him again.

This was it. He couldn’t go back on this.

He started the truck, turned up the radio, and wrapped his hands around the steering wheel. He knew he had to be careful tonight. He couldn’t get another DWI. He couldn’t go back down that road.

Halpert. All this fucking time, it had been Halpert. Roy knew he had hated that guy for a reason. And the whole office had probably known about it, all those boring freaks that Pam worked with and wanted him to be nice to. They had all known what was going on, and no one had ever told him. Pam had been in love with another guy—a scrawny, weak little man—and no one told him.

He pounded his fist on his steering wheel and jumped at the blare of his horn. That had been stupid. But his right hand was still curled into a fist, so he pounded it on the seat next to him for a minute. That felt a little better.

He thought about where he should go. He could go to Pammie’s new place, try to talk her into letting him in, but that would just be a waste of time. She had meant it when she said that it was over. This had been different from when she called off the wedding, when she had taken his hands in hers and said gently, “I’m sorry. I need some time.” This had been loud, and angry, and she had meant it.

He could find Halpert. He kind of knew where Halpert lived—Pam had pointed it out one time when they passed by his street. He could drive around, wait for Halpert to get home, make good on the threats he had made to the cameras.

He could find Kenny at whatever bar he’d ended up at. Now that he couldn’t go back to Poor Richard’s, it was time for Roy to find a new bar anyway. There weren’t exactly a lot of choices, and he knew Kenny was at one of them. A few more beers might make this night look a little better.

Instead, he found himself turning into his own parking lot, slipping the truck into its usual spot. He found himself getting out of his car and letting himself into his empty apartment, closing the door quietly behind him. He found himself sitting on his couch in the dark.

He found himself alone. Maybe it was time to start getting used to that.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading :) I love ratings and reviews almost as much as I love sleep. And that's a LOT.



Pseudonym is the author of 8 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans