- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Not sure where this came from, but the idea popped into my head and I just had to get it out. I felt like writing something that wasn't purely Jim/Pam for once and this is what came out. Hope you enjoy it.
She took in her surroundings. There were few people in the chapel, yet it was busy for a Thursday evening. Rarely did she find herself in the presence of others as she prayed. It wasn't that she minded, but it was odd to find so many worshiping God on a weeknight.

As she stood to make her way to the candles, she saw a young couple walk in. The man was nearly a foot taller than his wife. The young woman held her enlarged stomach with her left hand, the diamond ring on her finger capturing the light of the bank of candles that were illuminated in the dark corner of the church.

There was something strangely familiar about the couple, but then it dawned on her. Of course, she had only been at their wedding two years before. She had seen them dance around their feelings for one another for years before that. She had also received the baby announcement the week before. A tear came to her eye as she realized their reason for being in that church this night.

It had been exactly three months since he had passed. The one true love of her life was gone. The car accident had surprised everyone. He was always a safe driver, but stopping a drunk driver from plowing head on into his car wasn't something even he could prevent.

As she neared her old friends (more like acquaintances), she heard them speak fondly. It made her tear up again, forcing her to pull a tissue from her pocket to dab at her eyes.

"For Dwight," Pam said as she lifted a match to one of the ivory candles.

Jim put his arm around her and pulled her close. "He was a good friend."

"And a good man." She smiled up at him, sniffling and wiping a tear from her cheek. They turned together to enter the sanctuary when they saw her. "Oh, Angela." Pam had to bite back a sob as she moved to pull her into an embrace.

Jim waited till the women finally pulled apart to also hug the petite blond. "I'm so sorry we missed the funeral. We wanted to come, but Pam wasn't allowed to travel then because of the baby."

"It's alright. You're health is more important. Besides, you're here now." She dabbed at her eyes again, their gesture enough to bring her to tears.

Pam pulled her into another quick hug, tears pouring from her eyes, "We were going to call and see if you wanted to get together for dinner or something. Just to talk."

"That would be so nice. It would be lovely to catch up. So much has happened since you moved to New York, obviously." She pulled back and motioned at Pam's stomach at the last comment, an unusual joking nature in her voice.

"Are you free to go now? We could go to that nice new place they built a couple blocks from here."

She smiled up at Jim, "I'd love to. Dwight took me there the day they opened. It reminds me of him and I like that."

Pam smiled warmly and put her arm around Angela's shoulders, linking the fingers of her other hand in Jim's. "Then it's the perfect place to go to remember him with friends."

Friends. Not acquaintances. These were her friends, and she was glad for it.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are a beautiful thing. Like friends (and Angela/Dwight love...I think it's cute).


lostfox555 is the author of 11 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans