- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Just some fun fluff I wrote while I was home sick. I was hoping it'd tide me over until April 5th - alas, it has not. It doesn't mean you shouldn't read, though.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Jim and Pam share quiet goodbyes three-quarters past five, as Pam is left as the only one in the office. Jim slowly closes the door behind him and pauses in the hallway before continuing down and out of the building. 

He’s halfway out of the parking lot when he realizes he didn’t grab his coat. Of course he didn’t, as he was completely preoccupied with thoughts of Karen and Pam at the same time. His relationship with Karen was very rocky at the moment, like they were climbing a cliff face and at any handhold, the grip could be lost and it would all tumble away. 

And Pam! She had been so… awkward around him lately. It had been like that since he returned, but now it was really strong, to the point she couldn’t look at him for more than a few seconds before looking straight down at her papers. Some strange emotion swamped over him at that moment, and he was placing it as guilt, but it didn’t make sense. He didn’t think he was causing any discomfort – it wasn’t like Karen and he were kissing in public. 

He slowly backs up his car into his parking spot, again, and trudges up the stairs, again, and thinks that it’s awful he has to scale the steps once in a day, not to mention twice. Reaching for the handle, he freezes as soon as he touches it. Through the walls, he can hear a muffled sound… like a sob. Pam? Crying? He twists the handle quietly, the mechanism not making a sound. The door swings open, and through the gloomy light, he can see Pam sitting on the couch against the wall of Michael’s office. 

He pauses, his presence not aware by Pam. He takes off his messenger bag and sets it softly on the ground, before appearing in Pam’s sight, his hands in his pockets. 

Pam looks up, a hand to her face. She places it under her nose. “Oh, hi Jim,” she says, her voice softer than normal. It has a fragile touch to it. He takes the seat next to her and sits. The silence is very calming, and it continued for several minutes, save for a muffled sob or two. Jim looks down at Pam, giving her a smile.

“Hey,” he says gently. Pam returns his gaze and moves from her spot, curling up against Jim, leaning her head on his chest. Instinctively he wraps his arm around her as she lets it all out silently, offering only his presence.  

It seemed to be enough, though. Jim didn’t know how long he sat, his arms around the girl he had told everything to, the girl who had broken his heart. All thoughts of Karen had vanished from his mind, and he felt relaxed. 

Pam’s hands grip his shirt, and he looks up the ceiling. He hears Pam let out a sigh as she continues to cry, the tears sliding down her cheeks. He thinks for a minute she had fallen asleep, the bags under her eyes suddenly obvious, but no, she stays awake.

He strokes her hair in response. 

“Do you… do you want to know why I’m crying?” She sniffles, slightly muffled. 

“You don’t have to tell me,” Jim replies gently. 

Pam lets go of Jim’s shirt and looks up at the ceiling, gathering her words. “Well… Roy. I broke up with him again, the night you went to the cocktail party. It was a week ago, I guess. I haven’t seen him since, but he was really, really mad at you… and me. Because… I told him… I t-told him…” she shudders and a lock of hair falls onto her face. He brushes it away. 

“Told him what?” 

“The kiss on Casino Night, and…” She lowers her head and rests against him again. He swears he could hear her say something, but it was impossible that she had said that. It was what he wanted to hear. 

“Oh,” he says gently. 

“I’m afraid he’ll come after you, because he thinks you came onto me, even though I told him-”

“Don’t. I’ll be fine.” 

She doesn’t say anything for a moment. “Are you sure you want to hear my reasons?” 

“I want to hear everything you have to say, Pam,” Jim murmurs. 

Pam looks up at him. “Karen. And seeing you so happy with her. I’ve never had that, and I could’ve had that, and now… and now it looks bad for me.”

He closes his eyes for a moment as he holds her closer to his heart. Pam, he thinks, oh, Pam. 

“I’m sorry to make you hear all this…” she murmurs. “But you’re still my best friend, even though everything’s just happened and…” she closes her eyes and whispers something that Jim hears quite clearly, and he doesn’t deny it this time. 

I love you, Jim.

- - -

The next morning goes as normal. He hangs up his coat and says hey, with her quiet ‘hi’ in return. He sits down at his desk, and she stares at the back of his neck, her eyes heavy and sad. Karen doesn’t come into work, and she doesn’t receive a call explaining why. Michael says something immature and insulting, and rudely makes suggestions.

It’s finally her break, and she gratefully takes it. She buys a Coke and sits down at the table, sipping it quietly, as Jim comes in. 

“Hey,” he says. 

“Hi,” she replies, lifting her Coke to her mouth again, taking a tiny sip. He buys himself a grape soda, to her surprise. 

“What happened to the water?” 

He smiles. “I couldn’t go clean. I just can’t fight my addiction any longer.” He leans against the counter. 

“Where’s Karen? She’s never been sick.” 

Tapping the top of the can, Jim contemplated his answer. “After I got home last night, Karen and I had a… talk. And then a mutual agreement to… break up. She got an offering from Jan to go to Corporate. Better pay, nicer hours…” 

“Oh,” Pam says, her hands curled around her Coke. 

“Yeah. Oh.” He smiles and sits down next to her. 

“So, I guess this means-” 

Pam never gets to finish her sentence, though, because her mouth is suddenly covered by Jim’s, and if she could finish, she wouldn’t be able to find the words to. Kelly enters the break room and lets out a little gasp before turning around and rushing out. Jim and Pam break the kiss and stare at each other, their hearts beating wildly and their eyes sparkling. 

Because sometimes, you don’t need words. 

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you liked it. By the way, reviews make me warm and fuzzy inside. =)


Tasha the Cookie is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked What You Don't Need also liked 1726 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans