- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is what happens when you don't feel like working on a Friday.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Diane, the documentary director, drummed her fingernails fiercely on the desk surface. “What the hell is going on with these two?”

As the head camera operator, Ted was used to these meetings. He leaned in to get a closer look at the image frozen on the screen. The camera zoomed in on Jim and Pam eating lunch with Toby and Kevin.

“Nothing,” Ted shrugged.

“Exactly!” Diane pressed play and the images returned to motion. It was an ordinary lunch, nothing special was going on. Kevin described the latest Scrantonicity gig, a bar mitzvah at the community center. Jim listened interestedly while Pam nonchalantly ate her yogurt.

Diane shook her head. “For months, we had such great footage of these two falling in love with each other. Remember the casino night when we caught them kissing? I thought they would start dating after she dumped her fiancé, but no! These two are never alone. He hardly goes over to her desk to chat. He plans pranks on Dwight without her. There always someone else around. They’re so boring now!” She clenched her jaw and breathed sharply through her nose.

Ted shrugged again as Diane leaned her head on the desk. “Sorry. I haven’t caught any good footage. I guess they’re ‘just friends’ after all.”

Lifting her face from her hands. “We had such a great sub-story going on - a forbidden, unrequited romance. There’s nothing better than that on TV! Now, its just tape after mind numbing tape of the boss being idiotic.”

“And don’t forget the old guy who steals. That’s hilarious!”

Diane cracked a smile, “Yeah, that is pretty good.” She switched off the monitor and stood up. “OK, we have to find out if anything is going on with Jim and Pam. Your only job is follow them. Anything suspicious happens, go with it. I’ll keep the other guys focused on the rest of the office, interviews and what not.”

Ted nodded as he grabbed his camera.

----------

Pam glanced around to see if anyone was watching her. Especially a camera operator. No, the coast was clear. Ted was filming Dwight’s reaction to Jim’s latest prank. A mischievous smile spread across her face as she cradled the phone between her shoulder and cheek.

“This is Jim Halpert speaking.” His eyes grew wide and his jaw dropped. He quickly composed himself as he loosened his tie. “Yeah, I think I can schedule a sales consultation for this afternoon.” He paused. “Oh, you’re available to meet right now? Sure, I’ll be at your office shortly.”

He stood and grabbed his suit jacket. “Hey Dwight, hold down the fort. I have to meet with a client right now.”

Dwight didn’t look up but just grunted. He was too busy cleaning the whipped cream that had exploded in his face after opening a desk drawer. Without even a glance toward reception, Jim was out the door.

Two minutes later, Pam forwarded all calls to voicemail. She stuck her head into Michael’s office to say that she had forgotten something at home. Michael asked what she had forgotten, but she was already out the door.

Ted nodded to Frank, the camera operator who was currently filming a heated accounting dispute between Oscar and Angela. He followed two steps behind Pam, who was softly singing the Mission Impossible theme. As he ducked behind a large potted plant, he heard a low whistle and saw an arm grab Pam, pulling her around the corner.

Jim’s back was pressed against the wall, an arm hung low on Pam’s waist. “Beesly, how do you expect me to get any work done when you’re whispering naughty, naughty things over the phone.”

“When have you ever gotten any work done?” She giggled back.

Ted turned his head away to give them privacy but the sounds of passionate kisses echoed through his ear piece. He cleared his throat. Three times before he got their attention. They jumped back in surprise.

“Sorry, man, forgot you were there,” Jim apologized. He pulled his wallet out and placed some cash in Ted’s hand. “Thanks for keeping this quiet.”

“No problem.” Ted turned off the camera as he stuck the crisp bill in his khaki vest pocket. Jim and Pam turned in the opposite direction, walking hand-in-hand to the roof access stairs.

“Hey, you guys,” Ted whispered conspiratorially. “Could you remember to turn off your microphones this time.” Smiling sheepishly, they avoided looking at his face. Ted grinned and thought he had plenty of time for a cigarette or two, maybe even a cup of coffee.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans