- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

You want fluff? I'll give you fluff.

***

Jim awakes from a deep sleep sometime around six a.m. It's still dark outside, but his alarm is buzzing.  He notices immediately that the bed isn't as warm as usual, and reaches out for Pam, who usually radiates so much heat. She's not in bed, which is strange, because she loves sleep more than almost anything. It's almost impossible to get out of bed in the mornings because it's so cozy to snuggle under the covers, and they've both been late to work more than once because of this.

All of this spins through Jim's mind as he blearily tries to wake up. He drags himself out of bed and it's chilly, which makes it even worse. He wakes up a bit more as he leaves the bedroom and wanders into the living room, rubbing his eyes. He finds Pam in the living room, curled on the couch with an afghan. Her cheeks are flushed, even though it's cold, and she breaks into a smile when she sees him. "Happy birthday!" she says happily, and he remembers that it is indeed his birthday.  

He's thirty two today, and absolutely does not feel it. Sure, he and Pam have done some very grown up things recently, like the whole getting married thing and putting an offer on a house thing. And sometimes when he's wearing a suit and discussing the prices of bulk cardstock he feels like an adult, but mostly, he feels the same as he ever has. When he was younger, he thought being an adult would feel different somehow, but it hasn't.

He crosses over to Pam and sinks down next to her, kissing her with his mouth tightly close so as not to offend her with his horrible morning breath. She hugs him and tucks the afghan around him.

"Are you excited about work today?" she asks, and he grins. Michael is so bad at playing innocent that Jim knows very well that around one p.m., a surprise party will be held for him in the conference room.

"Very much so. I can't wait to see the cake," he says, remembering the Happy Birthday Kim cake that Pam herself had altered with a little masterful icing manipulation, to read Happy Birthday Jim.

She smiles and he remembers that she has been out here for awhile. "Why are you up so early?" he asks, looking at her. She turns pinker and looks down at her lap. "I was just having a moment with myself, thinking about your present," she says quietly. "Ooh, nice! When do I get it?" he asks, giving her a charming smile. 

"You'll have to wait a bit, but you'll love it," she says and then falls serious. She meets his eyes and asks, "Jim, what do you want more than anything right now?" and her voice seems full of meaning, but he can't figure that out.

"A Wii Neo," he answers truthfully, because it's so much cooler than the first generation Wii, and he had been so close to camping out for one. He wouldn't put it past Pam to have gotten one on the sly; she knows how much he wants one.

Apparently, this answer annoys her, because she glares at him and climbs out from under the afghan. "All right, birthday boy, you'll just have to wait," she says and stalks off to the bathroom. He's confused, and then thinks why that might have been the wrong answer. "Hey Pam? I also want us to get the house!" he calls after her, not too loudly, so he won't wake the neighbors. Pam doesn't answer; she's already in the shower.

He drops the subject (wisely, he thinks) and makes breakfast instead, as a peace offering of sorts. Pam grins and thanks him when she walks into the kitchen, toweling her hair, and they sit down together at the tiny table to eat their eggs and toast. Pam eats a few bites of eggs and then pushes her plate away. "Not hungry?" he asks, clearing both plates. "Nah, I don't feel like eggs today," she says, "I'm going to dry my hair."

He follows her into the bathroom and does a silly striptease while she's drying her hair, and she laughs at him, but it's a misty laugh, and as he steps into the shower, he wonders what on earth is going on in her head.

They make it to work without incident. In the car, Pam reaches over and takes his hand, which he likes. He squeezes her hand and she smiles again, but she seems distracted.

She giggles as they walk through the door at Dunder Mifflin, because Michael is leaning against Jim's desk in what could only be a carefully planned casual pose.

 "Morning, Jimothy. Nice day, huh?" he asks, and Jim smiles and nods. Humoring Michael is the easiest option, because he seems to forget that he pulls the exact routine with every person in the office on his or her birthday, with the exception of Toby and possibly himself.

"Yeah, it's chilly, but a nice, normal day," he says, and Michael grins. Phyllis walks by and calls out, "Happy birthday, Jim!" and Michael glares at her. He sighs and turns to Pam to tell her, "Pam, the ...thing... is in the kitchen, if you want to see it."

Jim tries not to smile too widely as Pam pretends to look confused. "What thing?" she asks, and Michael looks exasperated. "The...thing...you know.." he says, and motions blowing out candles. "The wind thing?" Pam asks, and Michael waves a hand at her. "Just go in there and look," he says.

Pam heads to the kitchen and Jim settles in his chair. He's got a lot of e-mails to answer and orders to confirm, and it's the same old routine. He's absorbed in his work, and everything goes like clockwork until he realizes Pam hasn't returned from the kitchen. He is puzzling over this when she opens the door and beckons him to come into the kitchen. He's slightly weirded out by the look on her face. She looks like she's about to laugh and cry at the same time, and he's not sure why.

He follows her through the kitchen, through the back office and into the break room. By the time she pulls the door closed behind her, she really is crying. She might be smiling nervously, but tears are leaking from her eyes, and now he really has no idea what's going on.

He steps closer to her and asks, "What's wrong? What's going on?" and she laughs and wipes her eyes. "I wanted to give you your birthday present now," she says and motions toward the bakery box on the table.  He opens it and looks at the cake inside.

Happy Baby, Jim! it reads messily in blue icing that she's rearranged, and his stomach twists as he looks up at her. She's smiling bigger than he's ever seen, and he's trying to comprehend what it means.

"Jim, I'm pregnant," she says in a wavery voice, and the words hit him and suddenly he's choked up and she's in his arms, sobbing and tears are falling from his own eyes. He pulls back from her, and she's laughing and now he's laughing from shock.

"We're having a baby!" she says gleefully, and he hugs her again. "I love you," he says into her neck, because it's the only thing he can think of to say.

"I am so in love with you it's not even funny!" she says, and pulls away. She's a mess, tears and hair everywhere, and he feels much the same, and as if she's reading his mind, she takes his hand and pulls him out of the room.

"Toby, Jim and I need a little while to talk," she calls out, leading Jim toward the back exit stairs, and Toby looks confused, but nods.

They're shivering in the car before either of them says anything else. "I can't believe it," he croaks, pulling the car door shut. "I know," she says, eyes shining. "I've been feeling kind of weird lately, and so I took three tests yesterday," she says, and this makes him love her so much more.

He puts his arm around her and she lays her head on his shoulder and he still can't believe this is real. They had talked about laying off the birth control a few months ago, and have been saving money for a house and kids since they got married two years ago, living frugally on Pam's salary and socking Jim's away.

"This is the best birthday present ever," he says and she laughs, snuggling next to him. "I know it's no Wii Neo, but I thought it was pretty good," she says.

"We could name it Wii Neo, and then it would be kind of like I got one," he says, and she laughs again. "Sometimes you're such a boy," she says, "It's very reassuring."

"Maybe we'll have a little boy, and he'll like video games and basketball, and you won't know what to do with yourself," he grins, and a second thought occurs to him, "Maybe we'll have a little girl, and she'll like video games and basketball, and you really won't know what to do with yourself."

Pam laces her fingers in his. "We're having a baby," she says quietly, and he nods. He turns the key in the ignition, and they go for a drive, talking about everything under the sun, but mostly about this little person that they've created.

By the time they come back to the business park a couple of hours later, the baby is so real in Jim's mind that he can't imagine not knowing about it just a few hours before. He's grinning and his head is still spinning.

"We'd better get back upstairs for your surprise party," Pam says and she climbs out of the car and heads toward the building. "Hey," he calls, moving next to her, "Can I ask you one more thing? Why'd you tell me here?"

She nods, and he remembers swaying, not dancing with her in this very spot and when she answers, it's the perfect answer. "Because I fell in love with you here, and you fell in love with me here, and this is where it all began. It just felt...right," she says.

"You're perfect, you know that?" he says, taking her hand and walking into the building, "I love you more now than I ever did."

He doesn't stop kissing her until the elevator door opens, and then they find themselves in the middle of the best birthday party Jim's ever had, even better than his Superman birthday in second grade. This party has pink and blue balloons and the Happy Baby, Jim! cake and Kelly launching herself at them, shouting "I can't believe you're pregnant!"

Jim almost chokes up again as he and Pam are presented with gifts; their coworkers obviously went out on their lunch hours to make this impromptu baby shower special. Angela passes out baby carrots, Stanley presents them with a check for the baby's college tuition, Meredith and Oscar bring them diapers. Phyllis leans over and whispers, "I've thought this was coming," and places a soft, knitted blanket on Pam's lap.

They play Baby Bingo with office supplies as prizes; Michael serenades them all with a loud rendition of "Having My Baby". Kelly asks Pam to please delete all the e-mails she's ever sent regarding baby names until Pam promises not to name the baby anything from Kelly's top ten lists. A call from Jan only adds to the din in the room. "Hey, Button," Michael shouts over the speaker phone, "Pam and Jim are preggers! Doesn't this make you want to-"

"No, Michael."

Jim claps Ryan on the back and says, "You're next, buddy," and Ryan replies, "God help us" as he pops an aspirin and moves across the room.

The party reaches its zenith and is quieting down as five o'clock nears. Dwight positions himself in front of Pam and Jim and looks at them both before speaking. "My gift to the baby is the gift of life itself. I would like to offer my services as midwife for the pregnancy and delivery. I've been apprenticing with a doula, and I would like you to be my first birth," he announces magnanimously.

Jim is truly touched and a little skeeved out, and is thinking of a polite way to refuse when Creed walks in with a brown paper bag. He hands it to Pam, who hands him a wad of bills. She turns to Jim and says, "Here's the rest of your present," and of course it's his Wii Neo, and he hugs her, because now he truly has everything he wants.

As they pack up to leave, she looks at him and smiles. "Ready to go?" she asks, and he smiles at his wife and takes her hand. "As ready as I'll ever be," he says, and she squeezes his hand.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who has read this and who has reviewed it. It honestly means a lot that so many people have enjoyed this. I love you all!


McGigi is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 13 members. Members who liked Five Ways Pam Tells Jim She's Pregnant also liked 1866 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans