- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I love Overconfident!Jim especially when it is followed by Stupid!Jim and of course Hot!Jim.

 

“I think we should just have sex.” Jim says nonchalantly before popping a jelly bean in his mouth while leaning over her desk one lazy Wednesday afternoon.

 

Pam almost chokes on her tea and manages to sputter an “I’m Sorry, What?” before wiping her face with a napkin.

 

“Sorry, that came out a little more directly than I envisioned,” he replies with a sheepish grin. “It’s just that…I don’t know,” his confidence waning from just a few moments before, “Karen and I are on a ‘break’ until I can ‘really commit to the relationship’” He says making quotation marks in the air with his fingers.

 

“I’m sorry.” She replies instinctively.

 

“I bet you are.” He says with a sardonic grin. When she begins to protest he cuts her off with a wave of his hand, “What I’m thinking is that…Well, I’m thinking that we just need to get it out of our system- Like adults.” He pauses to gauge her reaction and she’s still staring at him like he’s suggested taking Dwight out behind the Middle School and getting him pregnant, “I know you’ve been dating, and let me tell you honestly that it’s killing me- the thought that all these guys are getting to experience what I never got to do. And I know that you’re not totally into it either.” Now he really seems unsure as he finishes the last bit while staring at the counter as if it holds the mysteries of the universe.

 

This seems to shake her out of her reverie a little, “Why would you think I’m not into them?” Pam asks her tone harsher than she intends.

 

“Because I overheard Kelly tell Ryan that you told her that you weren’t into them because you were trying to get over me,” His voice is unbearably small now as if he’s in the 4th grade confessing in the Principal’s office about stinkbombing woodshop.

 

“Did you hear that during study hall?” Pam asks sarcastically, she’s not sure whether to laugh, cry or slap his face at this point so she just waits.

 

Her sarcasm brings him back to the conversation at hand and he straightens, looking her in the eye again, “Look, it sounds like a horrible idea. And if you can honestly tell me that you think it wouldn’t work, the whole ‘getting it out of our systems once and for all thing’ then that’s cool. We can just pretend like this conversation never happened,” The professional tone is back in his voice, like he’s pitching recycled paper for 1% more.

 

For some reason it’s his tone that irks her more than anything and when she snorts derisively at his statement he looks just a little hurt and turns back towards his desk. “Wait,” she whispers.

 

He turns around and tries not to smirk when he approaches the counter.

 

“Ok, fine. Let’s give it a shot.” She says her voice suddenly tired, as if she’s realized that nothing could be worse than this limbo they’re in, “It’s not like it’s going to mean anything anyway, right?” she says looking up at him hopefully, as if willing him to contradict her.

 

He looks like he’s done playing that game, so he merely smiles back, “Exactly. I mean we’re both almost over it anyway. I just think a little meaningless sex- just to show us both that it definitely wouldn’t be as earth shattering as we both think it would be- is just what the doctor ordered.”

 

She quirks her eyebrow at him slightly, “Are we playing Doctor too?” She says with the tiniest of smiles.

 

He taps her desk twice with a grin, “Wait and see Beesly, wait and see.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Oh it'll be real casual, totlly meaningless.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans