- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I didn't get a beta because I am impatient, so here's to hoping you like it.

 The Office is not mine. Pam is not mine. Jim is not mine. Freddy Mercury is dead.

It had been about a week an a half since Jim had spoken to Pam. 11 days to be exact. He had been ignoring any and all of her attempts to regain anything close to normalcy. What was normal anymore? Because Jim knows that a year ago he would never let a single call from Pam go unnoticed, let alone 23.

 It was about 12:13 am on the 12th day when Jim was lying in bed about to fall asleep when he heard the familiar cords of a song he’d known since he was a child.

Ooo. you make me live
whatever this world can give to me
It's you, you're all I see
Ooo, you make me live now honey
Ooo, you make me live
You're the best friend
that I ever had

 “This had better be pretty damn good,” Jim mumbled to himself as he struggled to get out of bed walking toward the door as the song continued getting louder with each step.

I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine
And I want you to know

 

 Jim didn’t know what to expect to find on the other side of the door. He opened it hesitantly as he rubbed the palm of his hand into his eye.

That my feelings are true
I really love you
You're my best friend

 

 When the door was opened, Jim saw a sheepish looking Pam with a boom box at her feet and a sandwich board sign that simply read “I’m Sorry.” Jim didn’t know if it was the fact that he thought he was dreaming or if it was how pathetic she looked standing in front of him that caused him to completely forget the past few weeks of ignoring Pam.

Ooo, you make me live
I've been wandering round
But I still come back to you
In rain or shine
You've stood by me girl
I'm happy, happy at home You're my best friend.

 “Pam, what on Earth are you doing?” Jim said with a chuckle.

“Getting my friend back,” Pam replied as she bent down to stop the music.

“Now?” Jim was certain he was dreaming, there was no way Pam was at his door after midnight.

“I was desperate, I guess.” It was the truth. The past 11 days could very easily go down as the worst 11 days in the history of Pam Beesley’s life, and it was all because her old best friend cut her out of his life.

“But Pam, this is, this is, you are blasting Queen outside my door at midnight. You’ve actually gone crazy.”

She took off her sign as she tried to really get the courage up to say what she needed to say. She hoped looking ridiculous would be the icebreaker. “I don’t want to loose you, Jim. So I figured go big or go home, ya know? You have to know how sorry I am for these past couple months. Well, if I’m apologizing, I want you to know how sorry I am for this past year. I’ve made a mess out of everything. There is so much I wish I could change since then. And that whole Roy thing? It was nothing Jim, really. You have to believe me. Roy and I will never get back together.”

“Pam, I know you, and I know how you and Roy are. I mean do you even know what you really want?” Jim was scared to let his heart open again. A part of his heart died watching Pam and Roy walk hand in out that door. It all seemed to Jr. High, but it still hurt, none the less.

“Because Jim, I know that if I did, I’d really lose you forever. And there is no way I could live with that pain. I want so badly to have you back in my life. I want you, Jim.”

Silence, then, “I, um, I’m, with Karen.”

“I know.”

“It’s complicated, you know? I can’t just...” He had tried so hard not to use the phrase ‘I can’t.’

“I’ll wait.” Pam knew that no truer words have been spoken. She’d wait for Jim forever, there were no other options.

Pam…

“So are we friends, Jim?”

“Oh, Pam, of course we are,” leaning in for a hug. Jim’s heart broke a little knowing that this is where their friendship had led them. But for that brief moment, hugging Pam felt right, Jim’s idea of normal was finally returning. “Always.

 

~~~~~
You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love
The things that you do
You're my best friend
Ooo, you make me live.
I'm happy, happy at home
You're my best friend
You're my best friend
Ooo, you make me live
You, you're my best friend
.

~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
So, your thoughts?


JamGirl is the author of 5 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans