- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Title will make more sense at the end of the story. ;)

 

It was only 10 in the morning and Pam was already bored. She opened the Sudoku program on her computer.

Ding!

She glanced at the little mail icon on the toolbar. Double-clicking opened Outlook Express. The message was from Michael.

Great. Another e-mail forward, she thought to herself. She was about to delete it until she read the header: "25 Relationship Questions."

I have nothing better to do. She opened up the e-mail.

25 relationship questions

1) Single, Taken, or Crushin'?

She typed "single" but after staring at the word, she soon deleted it and typed in "crushin'."

2) Are you happy with where you are?

She looked around the office. Everyone off doing their jobs. She let out a sarcastic laugh. "I rather be painting somewhere." She stared at the desk in front of her. She added, "And not staring at a certain someone's neck all day. His profile was a better view."

3) When you meet the right person, do you fall fast?

Her lips curled into a smile. "I didn't realize he was the right person until later. However, I still feel like I'm falling. And kind-of not in the good way."

She laughed at her answer. I'm so over-analyzing these questions.

4) Have you ever had your heart broken?

"Yes." She sighed. "It's still kind-of broken. Worse of all, it was all after I broke his."

5) Do you believe that there are certain circumstances where cheating is acceptable?

She bit her lower lip. It wasn't cheating... oh forget it, Pam! It was... "Yes. If and only if, it was to realize that you weren't suppose to be with the person that you were with."

6) Would you ever take someone back if they cheated on you?

Her eyes blurred for a moment as tears formed. She wiped them away instantly. "No." Hypocrite.

7) Have you talked about marriage with another person?

"I was freakin' engaged for 3 years!" She paused and reflected. However, that didn't really mean anything... "And we never really talked about ‘marriage'."

8) Do you want children?

"Definitely!" Doubt filled her mind again. Wanting children doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be good with children. "That is if the children want me... ;)" The winky face made her feel a little bit better.

9) How many?

"3. Two boys and one girl. One of the boys has to be older than the girl so that he would protect her."

10) Would you consider adoption?

"Of course."

12) Do you enjoy playing hard to get?

She stared at the question. It's what I was doing with Jim all those years. "No. I really don't know how. Sometimes it just happens and you actually hurt someone in the process. So, no."

13) Be honest, do you play the "game" when you are dating?

She tilted her head, confusingly. "I don't understand the question. I've only dated one guy and I don't know what this ‘game' is referring to."

14) Do you believe love at first sight exists?

"Looking back, yes. It took me four years to realize that."

15) Are you romantic?

Am I? Or did I give up on romance? "Despite everything that's has happened in the past year... yes, I still believe in romance."

16) Do you believe that you can change someone?

She looked at her painting on the wall. "You can change someone indirectly. You can try to change someone directly but probably won't turn out good in the end." She looked at the tall brunette sitting in front of her. "You change yourself and if pieces of others come along for the ride, so be it. But it's ultimately your choice."

17) If you could get married anywhere, money not an object, where would it be?

My dream wedding... "Take my fiancée's and my closest family and friends to Ireland for a wedding on a moor or in a castle."

19) Do you easily give in when you are fighting?

"I used to. Sometimes I still do. However, I'm getting better. I'm trying."

20) Do you have feelings for someone right now?

She looked at the picture that Jim had drawn for her a while ago. "Yes. Now, if only I can tell him."

21) Have you ever wished you could've had someone but you messed it up?

She held in her breath. Geez, Michael! Can you send a more specific questionnaire? "Of course. I messed it up so badly that he went to a different state!"

22.) Have you ever broken a heart?

"See #4 and #21 responses."

23.) What will happen if you come home and find another person in bed?

She couldn't help be giggle. Such a random question. "Just like any random person? I would probably grab my baseball bat and swing." She grinned. "If it was a particular person (see above response), I would just hop right in with him. ;D"

24.) Would you ever fight somebody over your significant other?

"I've have this done over me. And that wasn't pretty. I would probably calmly and rationally tell the other woman to ‘back-off ‘cuz he's mine.'"

She looked over her last couple of answers. Heh... I certainly got feisty somewhere in there.

25.) What would you say about your last ex?

Roy. "I was with him for almost 10 years, being engaged to him for the last three. He was the only guy I have ever been with; he was my safety. At the beginning, he was who I needed. But at the end, he wasn't. He is a great guy. I still care and respect him. I wish him happiness. But we just weren't meant to be."

The phone rang. Pam just stared at it for a moment before realizing that she needed to answer it. After the call, she looked at the questionnaire. Something struck her. She counted the number of questions. There were only 23. Numbers 11 and 18 were removed. She shook her head. Of course, Michael... don't send the full version. She smiled as she opened a new message.

To: Friends and Family

From: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

Subject: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Hi to the six people in this mailing group! (shows how much I love you)

Yes, I'm bored at my desk and decided to do this questionnaire that my boss sent out. I know that questions 11 and 18 are missing but Michael left them out when he e-mailed it so... yeah...

Have fun getting into my crazy mind! ;)

Hugs and kisses,

Pam

She copied and pasted the questionnaire and sent it on its way.

"Pam!" She looked up to see Michael calling her into his office. What now...?

About a hour later, she returned to her desk after trying to convince Michael that it might be too early to bring Jan to meet his mother. As soon as she sat down, she saw that she had two new messages.

To: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

From: clbeesly@gmail.com

Subject: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Sis,

Your answers were terrific! Hints of sarcasm, honesty, sadness, and pure silliness (#13, sweetie... the "game" refers to the whole "playing hard to get") I swear, you're been around those men of your office for too long. Get your mind out of the gutter! #23 proves that point. I'm getting ready for work, so I'll fill it out later.

BTW, I still say Michael's very attractive! When can I visit again? ;)

Forever yours (or until you snag a certain paper salesman)

Carrie

Pam couldn't help but laugh at her sister's e-mail. However, she fell silent when she saw the return address for the other new e-mail: jdhalpert@gmail.com Damn! I forgot to remove him from that mailing group. She hesitated. Maybe I can just delete it and act like I never got anything. She shook her head. It's not awkward enough between the two of us. She took a deep breath and double-clicked.

To: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

From: jdhalpert@gmail.com

Subject: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Beesly,

I normally don't check my Gmail account until I get home, but for some weird reason I did today. Interesting find. Of course, Michael takes out questions.

1) Single, Taken, or Crushin'? Taken.

2) Are you happy with where you are? No. I rather be at my old desk. And not actually here, here.

3) When you meet the right person, do you fall fast? Yes. And after four years, I'm still falling.

4) Have you ever had your heart broken? Yes.

5) Do you believe that there are certain circumstances where cheating is acceptable? Yes. When, and only when, it's necessary to realize that you're in love with someone else.

6) Would you ever take someone back if they cheated on you? No. Yes, I'm being a hypocrite...

7) Have you talked about marriage with another person? I think in passing... however, I would love to get married someday.

8) Do you want children? Of course. I'm pretty sure both my future wife and I would make great parents. Even if she doesn't think so at the moment...

9) How many? Three. I like having an older brother and sister so two boys and one girl.

10) Would you consider adoption? Definitely.

12) Do you enjoy playing hard to get? No, but sometimes it ends that way.

13) Be honest, do you play the "game" when you are dating? Not on purpose. (FYI, "game" goes to "playing hard to get")

14) Do you believe love at first sight exists? Yes. Still do.

15) Are you romantic? Yes. Even with everything this past year...

16) Do you believe that you can change someone? I think that we want to change others, but in the end, it's us that needs changing. For the better.

17) If you could get married anywhere, money not an object, where would it be? I'll leave that up to my bride. But I won't be a lazy groom. I'll help out with whatever she needs me for.

19) Do you easily give in when you are fighting? Sometimes.

20) Do you have feelings for someone right now? Yes, although I've been trying to quench them. But due to recent developments, I don't think I need to anymore.

21) Have you ever wished you could've had someone but you messed it up? Yes. I messed it up so badly that I moved to a different state!

22) Have you ever broken a heart? I never thought I had, but apparently I did.

23) What will happen if you come home and find another person in bed? Random question... oh well. If it's anyone else than the person who send me this questionnaire, I would call the cops. If it was that person... I would first pinch myself to see if I was dreaming and then hop in bed with her.

24) Would you ever fight somebody over your significant other? Well, she wasn't my significant other at the time...

25) What would you say about your last ex? She's a nice and pretty girl. Strong and independent, when she likes to be. She takes pride in her work and would really advance in her career. We haven't officially broken up yet, btw. I'm hoping it'll be okay.

Also, Pam...

I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier.

I'm sorry for not giving you time.

I'm sorry for leaving.

I'm sorry for not being a good best friend.

I'm sorry for being an absolute jerk.

I'm sorry that I didn't get the clues.

 

I'm still in love with you...

Jim

PS: What do you think questions 11 and 18 were?

Pam couldn't believe what was on her computer screen. He still loves me. She sat in shock for several minutes. Her breath shallow. Her hands trembling. Then, she smiled.

To: jdhalper@gmail.com

From: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

Subject: RE: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Jim,

I believe that these were the missing questions.

11) Will I be getting that rain check on coffee now?

18) How long?

Pam

 

To: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

From: jdhalpert@gmail.com

Subject: RE: RE: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Pam,

11) We can go after work today.

18) ... um, that's what she said... I don't know how long. Maybe a couple of weeks. Is that okay with you?

Yours,

Jim

 

To: jdhalpert@gmail.com

From: pbeesly@dundermifflin.com

Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions

Jim,

11) Today is fine.

18) I walked right into that, didn't I? Take as much time as you need. You waited four years. I can wait some more, too. At least I know there's happy light at the end of the tunnel.

Love,

Pam

She pressed the "send" button. She just looks at him. After a few moments, he turns around slowly and looks at her. Alright, Pam, it's time to be bold, she thought. With a smile, she mouths: I love you. He smiles back and mouths the same statement.

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Short and sweet... :)


sorano916 is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 28 members. Members who liked Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: 25 (actually 23) Relationship Questions also liked 2584 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans