- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Apparently a happy ending for Jim and Pam has been sacrificed in the name of alien scientific experimentation. It could be the answer because there's really no earthly reason as to why it should have taken this long.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“I’m sorry I misinterpreted, uh, our friendship.”

 

As Jim walked away, Pam was too stunned to move. She couldn’t believe that Jim had finally confessed what she had secretly been suspecting for quite some time. She was scared, but she was ready to take a chance. She turned around to catch Jim and tell him what he wanted to hear.

 

Suddenly, she was rendered immobile. Her feet were frozen to the pavement and she couldn’t speak. A bright light appeared overhead and as she looked up she saw a dark oval descending toward her. She wanted to scream but she couldn’t. Then, everything went black.

 

She must have had a few too many cocktails because she didn’t remember how she came to be leaning against Jim’s desk. Then she began to recall the conversation in the parking lot. Not knowing where Jim had gone, she picked up the phone and dialed the one person who always grounded her.

 

When she dialed the number, that reassuring voice was immediately at the other end of the line. Her mother asked her if she was happy about what Jim said.

 

“Yeah, I think I am.”

 

Then Jim appeared. He was kissing her, she was kissing him back. She pulled away and they gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment, basking in the afterglow.

 

“Are you really gonna marry him?”

 

No, she thought, Of course I’m not going to marry Roy. Jim’s my best friend. He loves me and I love him. I don’t care about the wedding, I don’t care about the non-refundable deposit, I don’t care about hurting Roy and I don’t care what anyone will think. I’m going to tell him the wedding is off and then ask if I can go to Australia with him. We’ll have a beautiful, perfect start to our relationship.

 

All of a sudden, she noticed a little red light over Jim’s shoulder; she stared at the pinpoint beam and then everything grew fuzzy.

 

The next day, she went into work. Jim was gone and she wondered where he went. She had no recollection of their conversation the night before but she still had a nagging headache and every now and then there was a slight buzzing noise in her ear.

 

Something compelled her to call off her wedding a couple of weeks later.

 

Over the summer, she wondered if Jim was doing well and she thought about how quiet it was around the office since he had left.

 

One day in October she picked up the phone and Jim was on the other end. They had a really nice conversation and she thought after how sweet he was. She really missed their office pranks together. She tried to text him a week or so later but he never replied and she let it go at that.

 

She was very excited when Jim returned to Scranton. She had missed her friend. Every now and then Pam had a deep pang of affection for Jim and she wondered if he ever those feelings for her as well. Sometimes he looked at her like he knew a secret. But she knew that Jim really liked Karen so she didn't ask about that twinkle in his eye.

 

One night in February, her co-workers all went out together to Poor Richard's. She had gotten back together with Roy because she was a little lonely and he was being charming.  She was having a hard time remembering exactly why she had called off their wedding. They were having a really fun evening when Pam excused herself to go to the ladies room.

 

She thought she had had a bit too much to drink as she headed back to the table. Her head was fuzzy again and she was developing a headache. She wasn't really sure why but she told Roy that if they were going to make it, she needed to be really honest with him. She started telling him about the time Jim kissed her. She was amazed at the story even as she told it because she remembered every detail even though she hadn't thought about it in all the months that had passed since that night.

 

When Roy freaked out and smashed his glass, she got the hell out of there as fast as she could.

 

**********************************************************************

 

Light years away, two shadowy figures huddled together in front of a video display. They looked at each other and smiled.

 

"Okay, Gort. Our experiments on earthly true love have been going quite well but I don't think I can maintain my scientific neutrality any longer. We've meddled with this poor Pam human for too long."

 

"Methorp, I just wanted to see if we could get her to take her loutish fiance back again after all those years he was inconsiderate of her feelings."

 

"Yes, but it wasn't fair of you to block out all her fond feelings for the Jim human. Then you made Karen like the Jim human and follow him back to Scranton. You have changed too many variables. And besides, as you can see, Pam did begin to recall those feelings for Jim after all, even though you placed a block on them. Gort, I deem it time to end the experiment."

 

"What about the Karen human? I think we should see what happens. Jim is growing quite fond of her."

 

"Gort, you know that's only because you made him think there was no chance of happiness with Pam. Agreed?"

 

"Agreed. I will take away the block on Pam's feelings of true love for Jim. The next phase of the experiment will be to see how long it takes before she tells him how she feels."

 

"I think it will take less than 2 earth weeks."

 

"I disagree. I say 2 earth days. Shall we wager on it?"

 

"Yes. Same stakes as before?"

 

"Yes. I really like the Pam and Jim humans, Methorp. If they do not declare feelings of love within 3 earth months, we must intervene."

 

"Agreed."

 

"What will become of the Karen human then?"

 

"The Karen human and the Roy human will unite. They will move away from Scranton together."

 

"Logical solution. And what of Angela?"

 

"Well, my cousin seems very happy with the Dwight human. She has requested a permanent assignment on earth."

 

"Excellent. Human love is such an interesting topic of study, Gort."

 

"Indeed, it is, Methorp. Indeed it is."



Questionizer is the author of 2 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans