- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

"Why did you choose Jim"

"Excuse me?"

"There are a lot of nicknames for James you can go by. There's Jimmy, Jamie, Jim, and of course James," Pam listed.

He smiled. "I started off as Jimmy but then I wanted to be like Jim Hawkins...from Treasure Island."

 

Jimmy had learned to read when he was only four. Once he had learned, he'd tried to read anything and everything he could get his hands on. In the mornings, Jimmy would crawl into his daddy's lap at the breakfast table and read try to read the newspaper aloud.

By the time he was six, Jimmy was reading books with little chapters, and before long he was reading well above his age level.

When he was eight, he and his mom went to the library and she suggested he read Treasure Island, by Robert Lewis Stevenson. He started it that afternoon and read it almost non-stop until bed time. That night he went to bed dreaming of pirates and burried treasure.  The next day, Jimmy read almost all day and he stayed up past 10:00 to finish it. Before he turned off the light, he decided that Jim Hawkins was his hero, and once again he dreamt of pirates on the high sea.

The next morning he walked into the kitchen and announced to his mother that he wanted to be known as Jim from now on, not Jimmy.

"Why's that, honey?" she asked him.

He grinned. "I want to be Jim Hawkins and sail across all the oceans collecting treasure and stopping pirates! One day I'll become the captain of the crew and we'll sail all over the world and I'll be the hero fighting all the pirates with my mighty sword. No one can stop Captain Jim Halpert!"

By the end of his speech, Jim's excitement had carried him to stand on a chair with a broom handle thrust in the air as his sword. His parents laughed and told him he had a few years to go before they'd let him take to the high seas.

He frowned a little when they'd laughed at him. "Just you wait," Jim said, hopping into the chair so he was sitting, "One day I'll be the most famous ship's captain in the world. Just you wait."

 

"Aww you must have been so cute. I knew you had an imagination like that," Pam told him after he'd finished. She giggled, "Captain Jim Halpert."

Jim sighed and looked at his ham and cheese sandwich. "There's still time for dreams of a life on the high sea."

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading my story, it's my first go at writing about Jim and Pam, so I'd like some feedback if possible. Thanks. :)


OneSongGlory is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Why Jim? also liked 1583 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans