- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a sequel to my story "Team Building." I don't own anything pertaining to the Office, the characters, or their furniture. I am the proud owner of a stuffed frog wizard, though, and it's kinda cool. Sorry, went away for a minute. Hope you like this little drabble. Please review.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a sequel to my story "Team Building." I don't own anything pertaining to the Office, the characters, or their furniture. I am the proud owner of a stuffed frog wizard, though, and it's kinda cool. Sorry, went away for a minute. Hope you like this little drabble. Please review.
The week after the paintball outing went pretty well for most of the denizens of the Dunder Mifflin Scranton office. Dwight was getting a little paranoid; he felt that the members of the camera crew were blaming him for the paintball incident that cost them a very expensive piece of video equipment. Andy had dropped the Drew persona, but was trying desperately to keep himself under control. Jim and Pam were talking more, which was great as far as the receptionist was concerned. But Jim, still struggling to keep his relationship with Karen going, was visibly depressed.

Using part of his paintball winnings, Creed had bought a bright red "Easy Button" from Staples for his desk. He pushed it at irregular intervals and always seemed mildly disappointed immediately afterward.

Anyway, the new toy sparked the following:

Toby and Michael talking in Michael's office. "It was a joke, Toby."

"Pam wasn't amused," Toby replied.

Michael tried to explain it again. "All I did was put the Easy Button on her head, push it, and ask her if she wanted to go home with me. I mean, it's an Easy Button. So the joke was that pushing it would make HER easy."

"That's inappropriate, Michael."

Michael interviewed. "Nobody around here has a sense of humor," he sulked.

Toby returned to his cubicle. Karen was sitting there with Toby's daughter, Sasha. The little girl was lying on Karen's lap, fast asleep.

The HR rep saw that his daughter was asleep and whispered, "Thanks for looking after her."

"No problem," Karen whispered back. "She just sat on my lap as I read her the story and drifted off. She's adorable."

Toby smiled. "Thanks. I have her through the weekend, so her mom dropped Sasha off after preschool. And I really needed to get a report done today."

"Easy Button?" Karen asked.

"Yeah," Toby said with a shake of his head. "Oh, I was wondering. Since you and Andy are the last of the Stamford Branch that are still with us, would you mind helping me with a letter on what you thought about the transition and ways we could do things better next time?"

Karen's smile faded. "That's not a letter, it's a book. Maybe if we did it over a bottle or three of wine..."

"We could do that," Toby said, maybe just a little too quickly.

"Okay," Karen said after a brief pause. The camera panned to show Jim talking to Pam at the reception desk. "Once you're returned this angel to her mom we can do it next week." She carefully got up and put the sleeping Sasha in the chair, kissing the blonde girl on the top of her head.

"Okay." Toby said. After Karen left, Toby whispered again. "Well, Okay then."

Kelly was interviewing with the camera crew. "I know that SOME PEOPLE think I'm not the most observant person, but I know what happens here. Like yesterday. Ryan and I saw Pam having lunch by herself, so we joined her. She's been so sad since she broke up with Roy again."

The scene shifts to the lunch Kelly was talking about. While Pam was quietly eating her yogurt, Jim and Karen entered the break room. There was a sad frown on Jim's expressive face as he got his lunch from the refrigerator.

"Hey guys" Kelly called out brightly. "Come join us."

Karen looked like she was trying to think of an excuse, but Jim merely sat down beside Kelly. Experience had taught him that it was easiest to follow the path of least resistance with his young friend. That left Karen with the seat next to Pam. The tenseness between them was evident.

"Pam was just telling us that she's having a showing this Friday night," Kelly said, trying to start a conversation.

"Really?" Jim said, breaking into a smile. "That's great. So, what are you showing?"

Karen looked on with apprehension.

Pam was puzzled. Why was Jim asking about this? He'd already had an opportunity to see her work and hadn't even bothered to show up. "It's just some landscapes," She said.

"Like the one of the front of our building that you gave to Michael?" Jim asked. "What ever made you do that?"

"He came to my showing last month and bought it."

"You had a show last month and didn't tell me?" Jim asked, hurt.

"She put up a flier," Kelly said. "Didn't you see it?"

"It was no big deal," Pam said. "Just some of my watercolors and a few paintings by the other students."

The scene shifts to an earlier moment when Karen ripped down the flier. With another cut, we are back to a shot of Karen as she looks down at her lunch.

"I can't believe I missed it," Jim said with disbelief. "You know how proud I am of what you're doing, right?" He said it without thinking of how that might sound. He suddenly remembered Karen sitting beside him and immediately felt guilty.

"Thanks," Pam said, unable to keep the blush from her cheeks. His words kept running through her head. He was proud of her. He hadn't missed her show on purpose. She smiled and took another bite of her lunch.

Jim turned to his girlfriend, "We'll, have to make it up to her by showing up Friday," Jim said.

"We can't," Karen said. "We're going to the City this weekend.

"But Karen," Jim started.

"You know that we promised Tom from Corporate that we'd have brunch with him Saturday morning. I'm not getting up at 5 A.M. for that."

"It's no big deal," Pam said. "You already have plans, so..."

Jim cut in, "But I want to..."

Karen got up, plainly angry. "Can we not discuss this in front of everyone," she snapped. Jim was about to follow her, but the look on Karen's face stopped him. "Oh great," he thought, "another thing to debate tonight."

After Karen left the break room, Pam said, "Sorry."

"Don't be," Jim replied with a tired voice. "It's not your fault." And part of him knew that it wasn't Karen's fault either.

Ryan and Kelly looked at the scene uncomfortably. Kelly decided a change of topic was a good idea. "You'll never guess what Ryan and I did last night."

Panic stricken looks came over the faces of Jim, Pam, and even Ryan. "Uh, Kelly...I think that we agreed...."

Kelly laughed and waved off her boyfriend. "Not that, silly. I was talking about the show."

That brought a smile to the face of the former temp. "It was pretty funny," he agreed. "We saw this comic hypnotist, and of course Kelly volunteered."

In spite of themselves, Jim and Pam smiled at the thought. They leaned in closer to Ryan as he continued the story.

"So the guy puts Kelly under and asks her if she's seen any movies lately. Kelly said that she saw Snow White and the Seven Dwarves with her niece. So the guy says when she wakes up, he's going to tell her the story and whenever she hears the name of a dwarf, she suddenly becomes someone else."

"Don't you dare say their names," Kelly warned between her giggles.

Ryan was on a rare conversational roll, however. "One of the names turned her into a 5-year old, some made her act like animals...One made her drunk and really affectionate... and one brought her back to normal."

Pam was amazed. "You mean you did all that in front of an audience?"

Kelly smiled. "It was like I became all these other things. It was really cool."

"You looked really cute," Ryan said.

Pam and Jim exchanged a look. It was rare to see Ryan so unguarded about his relationship with Kelly.

At that moment, Dwight stuck his head in the break room. "Michael wants us to meet in the conference room in five minutes. There's a new security policy for the computers that we'll be implementing."

A boring afternoon followed. Under the new protocols, the computers would automatically lock out the user after five minutes of screen inactivity. Everyone needed to come up with new and improved passwords. Entertainment, sports, gambling, and pornography sites would be screened out. Reactions varied from outrage to mild annoyance. Michael said he would be calling Jan to officially protest the policy.

Angela interviewed for the camera. "These changes were overdue. This is a workplace, not a chat room."

Kelly, who was seated by Ryan at the front of one side of the break room, quickly tuned out Michael and focused on the dynamics between Jim, Karen, and Pam.

Jim was sitting opposite Kelly. Karen didn't sit beside Jim at the meeting. Jim leaned his head against the wall after she moved to the back. Kelly thought he looked miserable.

Pam came in last and the only seat was beside left was Jim. It was the first time they had done that since Jim returned to Scranton.

Jim saw Karen staring at him and sighed.

During the meeting, Jim and Pam sneaked looks at each other, offering silent solidarity.

Once the meeting was finished, Jim tried to get some work done. As everyone else was leaving, Jim started to write up summaries of his sales calls. Mostly it was to avoid the mandatory discussion with Karen.

Kelly saw the salesman glumly sitting at his desk and took a deep breath. "Goodnight Jim," Kelly's voice rang out in the silent office. He hadn't known that she was still there.

"Goodnight Kelly," Jim replied with a wistful smile.

"You okay?" the service rep asked walking up to his desk.

"It's just been a long week," Jim sighed.

"I know what you mean," Kelly said. She stretched and yawned.

"Somebody looks sleepy," Jim said.

Immediately Kelly's demeanor changed. She fell to all fours and meowed.

Jim's eyes went huge. What was happening? Then he remembered. The hypnotist had made her respond to the names of the seven dwarves and he had said "Sleepy." "What were the other dwarves?" he muttered before remembering one. "Dopey?" He offered.

Kelly smiled up and him and barked happily.

"Grumpy?"

The service rep went, "Baah"

Jim searched his memory. "Sneezy?"

Kelly sat up but started sneezing uncontrollably.

Jim's mind blanked. He grabbed a scrap of paper and write down the names he had already tried. Four down, three to go. He tried a Google search for seven dwarves, but the new, somewhat buggy, software listed that as an entertainment search and refused to process it.

"Crap," Jim hissed as Kelly continued to sneeze. He remembered and wrote down another dwarf name, "Doc."

Kelly stopped sneezing and started giggling. She turned Jim's chair towards her and climbed into his lap. "You're cute," she said, kissing him on the cheek.

"Should have guessed that one," Jim thought to himself. Kelly was unbuttoning his shirt. That reminded him of the next dwarf. "Bashful," he almost shouted.

Suddenly Kelly jumped off his lap and hid behind Dwight's desk.

"Kelly?" Jim asked in a more quiet voice.

Hesitantly Kelly peered over Dwight's desk, her eyes wide.

"Are you okay?" Jim asked.

"Uh-huh," Kelly said, still not moving.

"Kelly, how old are you?"

"Five," Kelly replied.

"Do you know who I am?"

Kelly thought about this for a minute. "You're Jim. You're my friend." She got out from behind the desk and came closer to him. "Do you have anything to drink?"

"I can get you something," Jim smiled. "There's apple juice in the break room."

"I love apple juice," Kelly said, with a smile.

"I know," Jim answered. It was his curse to remember everything a pretty girl ever told him. He still remembered that Barbara Jenkins loved The Cure and that Pam was a sucker for mixed berry yoghurt. He picked up the piece of paper with the names of six dwarves on it, took Kelly's hand and went to the break room. He bought Kelly a juice and sat beside her, staring at the list. He could not remember the name of the last dwarf. He took at his cell phone. Pam would know. Then he thought how weird it would be to call her at home for the first time since...

The cell phone rang. It was Karen, wondering where he was. "Yeah, I'm really sorry, I'm still in the office." Jim said with a sigh. "Do you remember the names of the seven dwarves? Hey, I'm not joking, Kelly..."

Karen had broken the connection. Jim dropped his head, his chin against his chest. "Why is it always so hard with her?" he asked nobody in particular.

Kelly had gotten out of her chair and was sitting on the floor with her knees folded in front of her. She looked up at Jim and asked, "Why are you frowning?"

Jim answered softly, "It's a grown up thing. See, Karen is my special friend, and she's really nice, but she's kind of mad at me now. She wants me to go to New York this weekend with her. It's just that there's this other friend of mine..."

"Pam?" Kelly asked.

"Yeah. And Pam, well she's..."

"Special-er?"

Jim didn't answer that question. "Pam has this thing that's really important to her, and I really want to be there, too. If I let her down, I'd feel really bad."

"You already feel bad," Kelly noted. "Are you sick?"

Jim chuckled, "Nothing that you'd catch." He turned away, not really looking at Kelly. "Karen's my girlfriend. I know what I should do. I owe it to her." But his mind went back to Pam and how hurt she would be if he missed her exhibition again.

"Do you love her?" Kelly asked.

Jim was now completely staring off into space. "Yeah, I mean I've known her all these years and she really gets me. But it doesn't matter. With Karen I really have a shot at something permanent. I mean, she's great. She's pretty and smart and... just great." Jim realized that must sound pathetic, even to a kid. A tear worked its way down his cheek. "But with Pam, I could really be happy."

"You should tell her."

Jim wiped his tears away. "I already told Pam that I love her and she said she didn't feel the same way. I have to respect her decision. Besides, I can't put Karen through that. It wouldn't be fair to her."

"If you don't love Karen, you should break it off."

"And be alone again. Yeah, that's probably what I deserve."

"You should give Pam another chance. I've seen how she looks at you."

"She doesn't love me." Jim said, simply.

"I think you're wrong," Kelly said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Startled out of his daydream, Jim looked into eyes of a very normal seeming Kelly. "You're back to normal?" Kelly nodded. "Crap." Jim said, jumping to his feet.

"You finally mentioned the right name. It's funny that the only one you couldn't remember was Happy."

"Well, Happy has been kind of a foreign concept with me lately." Jim said, shaking his head.

Kelly reached up and pulled her head down to hers and kissed him. It was a soft, gentle kiss that surprised the salesman.

When they broke, Kelly smiled up at Jim and said, "Ryan better know how lucky he is. You're pretty great, Jim. I've always wondered what it would be like to kiss you. I couldn't kiss you if you got together with Pam, ‘cause she's like my best friend." She stared into Jim's eyes and asked, "So, what are you going to do?"

"I guess I'm going to an art show."

"That's so great!" Kelly squeaked. "Let's get out of here."

"Yeah, I've got things to do," Jim said, sadly.

"It's gonna work out," Kelly said confidently. "I'll make sure of it," she added to herself.

The funny thing was that Jim kind of believed her. In spite of everything, it was hard to doubt Kelly when she made her bold assertions on life.

"So go find your inner dwarf," Kelly said Jim held the door for her.

Kelly interviewed the next morning. "So, now I'm just waiting for everyone to come in." The camera scanned to the early morning office. Three chairs were noticeably vacant. The camera zoomed into a clock that read "8:05 AM."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans