- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is just a little speculation on how Jim may have turned down the job and broken it off with Karen, with future chapters covering The Date and what happens with Karen.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

"Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

The question hung in the air for perhaps longer than it should have. Jim's thoughts drifted back to that day almost two years ago. Flonkerton. Doves. Gold medals made of yogurt lids. He looked down at the note and the medal again, then, realizing that David Wallace was waiting for his response, muttered, "Married. With kids. Three, I think. House in the suburbs. With a terrace..." He trailed off.

David chuckled politely and asked, "And professionally?"

Jim studied the note again. Not here, he thought, then recalled Pam's words at the beach - "Well, I wish you would."

"You know what? It doesn't matter," he finally blurted out.

"I'm sorry?" David was confused.

Jim stood up. "I'm sorry. This is going to sound really weird, but... I have to take myself out of the running for this job. I don't belong here. At least... not... yet."

"Are you sure? I mean, I have to be honest with you, you were my top choice," David replied as he got to his feet.

"I really appreciate that. Thank you. But I can't move here right now. I can't leave Scranton again. I'm sorry I wasted your time. I can't explain, just..."

The CFO smiled faintly and extended his hand. "Alright then. Good luck."

Jim shook his hand and turned to leave, his face red with embarrassment. What did I just do? he thought as he approached the elevator. He got out his cell phone and pressed the speed dial for Karen's number.

She answered with, "Hey! How did it go?"

Not knowing how to answer the question, he replied, "Hey, where are you? I'll meet you there."

"Oh, we were just finishing up with lunch. I can come back to Dunder Mifflin if you want to wait..."

"No. I mean, that's okay, I'll meet you where you are. Just stay put, okay?"

Karen must have sensed something in his voice. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah... well, no... I don't know. Can you just tell me where you are? I need to talk to you."

She gave him the location of the restaurant and he walked outside to get a cab. When he got there she was waiting outside for him.

"What's going on?" she asked, without even saying hi.

"Are your friends still there?" He nodded toward the restaurant.

"Yeah, why? You want to meet them?"

"Um, no... I just... Karen, I can't move here."

Her eyes got wide, and she stared at him. "What do you mean?"

"I mean I can't move to New York. I told them I didn't want the job."

"Why?" She almost stopped breathing.

"Because I can't leave Scranton again. I need to go back."

"To her, you mean?" She didn't even attempt to hide the bitterness in her voice. "That's what this is about, isn't it? Pam?" Her eyes were quickly flooding with tears.

Jim looked down, unable to meet her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Karen. You have to believe it when I say I didn't mean to hurt you..."

"Stop it! Just... stop. I need to hear you say it. Tell me the truth for once, God damn it."

He felt his stomach lurch, and then he sputtered out, "I'm still in love with her. And I probably always will be."

Karen turned and started walking back toward the restaurant. He grabbed her arm. "Karen, please," he pleaded.

"Please what? What else am I supposed to say? What do you want from me? I mean, come on, Jim. Last night we were talking about our future together. I thought we had a great time. We had sex, for God's sake! What do expect me to say? 'Oh Jim, it's fine that you're in love with someone else and that you've been using me for the past six months?'" She pulled away. "Just. Go. I don't want to look at you right now."

"Wait! We drove here together. I can't leave you here."

She laughed bitterly and replied, "If you think that I am going to sit in a car with you for two and a half hours, you are... Just go, Jim. I'll find my own way back to Scranton."

"Karen, I can't just leave you here."

She turned and said, "You already have."

And with that she disappeared back into the restaurant. He stood there for a few minutes, suddenly aware that the whole exchange had taken place on a very public street corner, and he felt like an ass. But a part of him was relieved. Relieved that he didn't have to pretend anymore. Relieved that he finally knew what he wanted.

He took a cab back to the garage where his car was parked and started the long trek back to Scranton. He had no idea what he was going to do once he got there, but he had a few hours to figure it out.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans