- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I own no intellectual property associated with "The Office." In fact, there are those who would find the notion of me owning anything intellectual to be laughable at best. So, seriously. I'm just playing pretend because it gives a little amusement to my otherwise bland existence. It's all cool.
Author's Chapter Notes:

 Pam is asked a simple question for her upteenth talking head that day.....

 

 

 

 How many of these things are we going to do today?  I am trying so hard not to think about this, about that stupid job, about Jim in New York with Karen, probably planning out their whole future up there.....Ok.   Focus, Pam.

 

I haven't heard anything, but I bet Jim got the job.

 

He probably did.  Don't cry.  Not now.   Not in front of the camera.  

 

I mean, why wouldn't he? He's totally qualified, and smart, everyone loves him...

 

I love him.   Obviously.   Duh.  Guess that one is out of the bag.  Well, after the whole thing on the beach, it's not like they couldn't figure that out.  

 

and, if he never comes back again... that's OK.

 

Nothing could be less OK.  Don't Cry.   Don't Cry.   Deep breath.  

 

We're friends. And I'm sure we'll stay friends.

 

God, this hurts so much. More than anything, I want him to be happy.   But, oh GOD.   I just wish he could have been happy with me.  Friends.  Better than silence and pretending we don't know each other.   Friends is something.  Something pretty great.   But.....damn.   I still want more.   It hurts so much to give up on more.   I guess it serves me right, when he wanted more, friendship was all I would give.   And, now....I know how much that hurts.   Stupid timing.  

 

We just, we never got the timing right. You know? I shot him down, and then he did the same to me, and...

 

Don't cry.   Do.  Not.  Cry.   Be proud.   It hurts.   It really hurts.   But this is still so much better than hiding and regrets.   So, head up.   Don't cry.    

 

But you know what? It's OK. I'm totally fine. Everything is gonna be totally---

 

What?  Didn't you see the filming sign on the D....JIM.   Oh God, he's here.  What does that mean?  Jim's here.  Here.   Does it mean something?  Why .....

 

Pam!.....Sorry....

 

That's my name.   That's me.  What does this mean?  What...Wh....

 

Um, are you free for dinner tonight?

 

YES! 

 

Yes.   What did he say?  Dinner?   What kind of dinner?   Is this a goodbye?   Is this us, catching up on being friends?   Is this....no, I can't think......  What did I just say yes to?  .... It doesn't matter.   

It's YES to anything.

It's YES to everything.

 

All right. Then... it's a date.

 

 He....He said date.   He gave me that look, that nod.   He meant date.  Jim.   and me.   a date.   It's.....it's....going to happen.   It's happening now.   This is it.   Why am I crying now?   I..... It's a date!  DateDateDateDate.   Yes.   It's real.  Is it real?  Thank You.  THANK YOU!  God.   Yes.  

 

Oh.   What?  They're still here.   Umm.............

 

I'm sorry, what was the question?



Maybe Once is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked The Question also liked 1179 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans