- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Spoilers through The Job.

Jim, Pam, and other characters in this story are not owned by me and no copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Jim and Pam's first date.

Dwight just sat there, wondering how his world just crashed around him. He was sure Michael would get the job. Why wouldn’t they hire the most qualified person? He didn’t quite buy Michael’s explanation that he refused to take Jan’s job. Surely that couldn’t be the reason, because Michael wanted that job more than anything else. It was probably the fault of those insipid office workers who refused his order to only wish good luck to Michael. He always remembered the advice of his father. You tempt with the fates, and apocalyptic destruction will rain down on you. Since the age of 3, Dwight would never forget that guiding wisdom.

 

Now everything he had worked for is gone. No more shot at branch manager. Michael was going to be there forever. No more in-depth lectures on the paper industry. Back to the silly ethnic celebrations and movie days. However, there was one thing that comforted Dwight. He figured at the very least Jim would get the job. For some bizarre reason, everyone seemed to like Jim. If he got the job, then Dwight would finally be rid of him. No more pranks. No more staplers in Jell-O, wallets in vending machines, or seeing Meredith on the toilet. And without Jim’s influence, Pam could be a reliable ally against the other malcontents in the office. Yes, this could be good after all.

 

“Hey Dwight”, a familiar voice said, although it was a bit more hurried than usual.

 

Dwight let out a long gasp. “What are you doing here? Didn’t you get the job?”

 

“Nope”, Jim said dismissively. “Have you seen … oh never mind…” Jim trailed off as he notices something in the conference room and walks over there.

 

Dwight began to wonder when this misery would ever end. Then he saw a hysterical Kelly (even more so than usual) running toward the elevator. She was crying and visibly upset at something that just happened. Then moments after Jim returned to his desk, Dwight saw Pam walk out of the conference room. She didn’t look quite as upset, but she had clearly just been crying.

“Alright, what is wrong with the women in this office?! Why are they all crying?” The outburst startled Michael, who popped his head out of the office to see what all the commotion was about.

 

Jim teased, “Actually Dwight, I think they’re just all upset that you’re taken and will never have a chance with you.”

 

“That’s stupid, I would never be with any of them.” This prompted a stern look from Angela. “Except Angela”. Angela’s eyes were now shooting daggers at him. “I mean, especially Angela. Yuck.”

 

“Dwight!” Michael scolded. “That’s a terrible thing to say. These are wonderful, beautiful women. If I wasn’t back together with Jan, I’d be gettin bizzay!! Even with Phyllis. Know what I’m sayin!” Michael went over to give Jim a high five, but then stopped. “Wait a second, why are you back? Didn’t you get the job?”

 


“Nah, I decided not to go through with it. I realized I couldn’t leave here because I’m in love with Dwight.”


“Jim! That's not funny. Michael, tell him to stop!” Dwight shouted.


Michael ignored Dwight. “Ah ha ha ha. What a jokester. Good thing you’ll still be around, Jimbo. What would we do without this guy?”


Throughout all of this commotion, Jim and Pam’s eyes met for the first time since they agreed to go out on a date. They smiled at each other and Pam mouthed “Welcome Back.” Jim nodded in recognition and held up the gold medal yogurt lid.


Kevin chose this moment to walk by on his way home for the night, and noticing their interaction he said to Jim, “Good choice.”


“Thanks, Kev.” Jim replied, and was glad that Kevin kept walking instead of making another inappropriate comment. Jim got up and walked over to reception. “Hey, just wanted to let you know I was back.”

 

“Oh yeah, thanks, I didn’t even notice.” Pam playfully lied. “So, I’ve got big news!”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, somebody asked me out today. I have a date tonight.”

 

“Wow. So here’s where I’m supposed to act all awkward and pretend that it doesn’t bother me.”

 

“Exactly, and I’m supposed to pretend that I don’t notice it makes you uncomfortable.

 

“Excellent. Everything back to normal.” They both smiled and quietly laughed.

 

“So, I wonder where he’s taking me tonight?”

 

“It’s a surprise. I’ll … I mean he’ll see you at 7.”

 

“Sounds great.”

 

Later on that night, they were in Jim’s car. The silence was a bit awkward and they exchanged a few furtive glances throughout the ride. Finally Pam couldn’t take it anymore.

 

“Okay, you have to tell me now. Where are you taking me?”

 

“We’re almost there”

 

“We are?”

 

“Yep. In fact, here we go.” As Jim pulled into a parking lot, Pam looked at where they were and was extremely confused.

 

“You’re taking me here? Why?”

 

“Come on Beesley, don’t be a party pooper. You’ll see.”

 

It wasn’t until Jim led her up the ladder to the roof of Dunder-Mifflin when she remembered. As they got to the roof, Jim pulled out the picnic basket he grabbed from the break room refrigerator. They sat down on the two chairs Jim had set up and Pam wistfully looked out at the star-filled nighttime sky. “I should have never doubted you. This is a perfect idea for a first date.”

 

“Second date,” Jim corrected her.

 

Pam smiled. “Right.” They began to eat the sandwiches that Jim had prepared. As the night wore on, the awkwardness began to evaporate. They were back to their old ways, laughing about the antics at Dunder-Mifflin or teasing each other about their various odd habits. And they began to move closer and closer to one another.

 

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while now.”

 

 

Closer.

 

 

Pam was a little nervous about the question, but decided to play along. “Shoot.”

Closer.

“How come you were calling your mom from my desk?”

Closer.

Pam smiled. “Well I would have used Dwight’s phone, but who knows what you did with it. I didn’t want to hit myself in the head with a receiver full of nickels.”

Closer.

Jim laughed. “Well it worked out great. Made it a much easier path for me to…” Jim trailed off.

Closer.

“To what?” Pam replied anxiously. She never did get an answer to that question, at least not in the form of words. But she didn’t care, because now Jim’s lips were touching hers. And this time it was without the added baggage of her being drunk or her impending wedding. For the first time, everything between them felt perfect.

 

“Freeze!”

 

Jim and Pam broke their kiss and turned around to the horror of Dwight, standing there in his underwear with his plastic light saber pointed at them. He dropped it when he saw it was Jim and Pam.

 

 

Uh oh.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans