- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Lots of folks have covered the song from which the title of this fic comes. But in my mind, only Bobby Darin sings it. A little retro, a little saucy, a little romantic... just like our dynamic duo whose friendship is finally on its way to becoming more than that.

Oh, and I know it bothers some folks, but I really prefer "Beesley" to "Beesly". It just needs that "e" in my book!

Disclaimer: I own none of these characters, I'm just borrowing them and making them go out on a date.

Author's Chapter Notes:
You know where it starts! Season 3 ends, let the speculation commence... Special thanks to my diva squad. Hussies one and all!

Her mind was completely void of coherent thought. He could still do that to her. 

When it became clear she had become useless to the film crew, she managed to escape from the interview in the conference room. He was back at his desk but she could tell he'd been waiting for her to emerge, a grin spreading slowly across his face matching the smile on hers. She wondered if he was experiencing the same mix of excitement, nervousness, and anticipation as she herself was. She was just about to ask when a high-pitched shriek pierced the air. Ryan walked hurriedly towards Michael's office with Kelly hot on his heels.

"Why are you lying to me? There's no way you're getting that job! There are at least three people applying who are way more qualified than you!"

"Don't count me," Jim piped up, smiling at Pam, "I'm not in the running anymore."

Ryan pushed open the door. Michael's head was on his desk but it snapped up as Ryan and then Kelly entered. She slammed the door behind them and pulled the blinds. Her voice came through so loudly that they could hear every word.

"Michael, Ryan just told me he got the job in New York but there's no way. He hasn't even made a sale yet! You're his boss - make him stop lying to me!"

Michael's voice was muffled.

"OH MY GOD!"

Pam shot Jim a wide-eyed glance. He shrugged and reached for her hand taking it gently in his. She could feel the blush spreading over her cheeks as he said, "I think we should take this opportunity to start dinner early."

"I'll get my stuff," she whispered, thankful that she didn't have to pretend to work for another 45 minutes.

He didn't have to ask when she was ready - he raised an eyebrow and she nodded towards the elevator. She'd missed that so much - being so in tune with him they didn't even have to verbalize anything. She tiptoed past Michael's office - Kelly's voice was down to a murmur behind the glass - and snuck out the door with him. Pam wondered if Ryan really did get the job and what exactly had happened in New York but she knew there would be plenty of time to find out later. Right now, she was intent on getting out of here and starting this long-anticipated first date.

 And then the elevator doors were closing and they were inside alone like they had been a hundred times before - except it had never been like this. They'd never been about to go on their first date. She tried to sneak a glance at him out of the corner of her eye and she heard him make a little noise. She turned then to face him fully, unable to suppress a smile.

"What?"

"What do you mean?" he replied innocently.

"You know what I mean. What was that noise all about?"

"Well, it's just that..." he trailed off.

"Spill it!"

"You can look at me, you know. You don't have to pretend you're not."

She realized he was right and she was free to look at him, to say whatever she wanted, even touch him. She felt a little lightheaded at the thought of that.

"Old habits," she chuckled.

"Yeah," he grinned back but seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. "So...we have a lot to talk about."

"Mmm." She'd been dying to know what happened in New York and why he was back so soon but now she was a little afraid of knowing the truth. A panicky thought crossed her mind that even though he'd asked her on a "date" it might be a goodbye dinner. She was also distracted by his presence. They hadn't been alone much in the elevator lately.

"So you don't want to talk?" he prompted.

"Let's just say I'd like to enjoy this ride. Now that I get to look at you, I mean."

Just then the elevator reached the ground floor.

"Oops! Looks like the show is over!" he teased. He poised his finger over the button. "You want to go up again? You know, so you can get your fill of me."

"No! There'll be plenty of time for that. We went to all this trouble to escape - let's get this date under way!"

They emerged into the late afternoon sunshine, each caught up in their own thoughts. Arriving at Pam's car first, they stopped.

"So, where will we be going on this fabulous dinner date?"

He smiled. "I've been thinking that I need to get out of this suit. Why don't I run home, change real quick, and come pick you up at your place like a proper date?"

"Sounds good!" she beamed. Then, "Wow...this is really happening."

"Yeah." He glanced at his watch. "So it's 4:30 now, let's say I'll come get you in an hour?"

"Perfect!" She got into her car and stopped to take a few deep breaths. Her stomach was aflutter and she hoped she could wait another hour.

*********

Promptly at 5:30, she peeked out her window as she had been doing every 30 seconds for the past ten minutes and was finally rewarded by the sight of his car pulling into the parking lot. She grabbed her sweater and purse and rushed downstairs. He was just unfolding his lanky body from the front seat as she skipped to a halt next to him.

"Hi!"

"Hey!" he grinned, leaning back against the door. "What are you doing here?"

"Jim," she sighed dramatically, "I live here!"

"I meant, what are you doing here in the parking lot! How am I going to get a glimpse into the secret inner world of Pam Beesley from here?"

"I thought it'd be easier if I came down."

"Whatever! Is it the maid's day off? Or is it the dead bodies you're hiding?"

She loved that he was so relaxed and falling naturally into their easy banter but she was relieved that there seemed to be a bit of nervousness about him. She was glad she wouldn't be the only one with butterflies.

"Sorry! Did you want to make a grand entrance? I could go back upstairs and wait for you if you want."

He shook his head. "Nope! The moment has passed."

Her face fell. "Oh god, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to -"

"Kidding, Pam! Jeez, you're slipping. You never used to be that easy." He turned suddenly and reached into the car, pulling out a bunch of flowers.

"Lilies! How did you know?" she marveled, taking the bouquet from him.

"I'm just amazing," he grinned. "Naw. Actually just lucky - it's all they had left at the market on the corner."

"I guess I should stick them in water. You want to come up?"

"Of course! So much for your feeble attempts to keep me out," he teased.

"Oh, I never said I was trying to keep you out. I just figured you'd be seeing it later," she said breezily as she led the way.

She didn't even attempt to mask the innuendo in her voice. He wasn't sure he was ready for this fancy, new, honest Beesley and he tried not to stare too much as he followed her up the stairs.

She hesitated with her hand on the doorknob. "Now I don't know what you're expecting but it's really small and I couldn't afford new furniture so I just - "

He put his hand gently on her arm. "Pam," he said in that smooth yet husky voice that Phyllis had once referred to as 'velvet gravel', "Invite me in." 

"Okay," she murmured. Confident new Pam melted at the sound of his voice and was mesmerized by his touch on her skin. "Jim, would you like to see my place?"

"I would love to."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans