- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I started writing this in mid-season 3, but set it aside and didn't finish until now. The Job (and probably Beach Games) made this AU.

Jim, Pam, and other characters in this story are not owned by me and no copyright infringement is intended.

Pam, I proposed to Karen.We’re getting married.
Oh. Um. Congratulations.
I really want you to be there.
At the wedding? I don’t know, Jim.
You’re my best friend. I really need you to be there. 

It was a difficult decision for Pam to make. She cried about it endlessly, wondering how she could possibly go through with it. After all that had happened between them, she was now faced with the reality that Jim was getting married. Could she stand by and watch it happen? Could she watch him kiss Karen and dedicate his life to her?

 

How come you weren’t going to come to my wedding? Remember, you were heading off to Australia.

I’m sorry, Pam. I was wrong.
But maybe you weren’t. Maybe it was just too painful. Believe me, I understand that now. 

 

Pam thought back to all the missing opportunities. Why did she reject him on

Casino Night after he poured his heart out to her? Why didn't she call him when she broke off her wedding? Why didn't she just drive to Stamford and make her own declaration of love? Why did she get back together with Roy? She could tell that Jim seemed to lose respect for her after that.


Our timing wasn’t right.
Yeah, I guess not.
Do you think things could have worked out if…
I don’t know, Pam. Maybe. Probably.   

How could she have ignored it for so long? All the wonderful times they spent together in the office. Jim had saved her from the misery of what was an awful job. Her mind raced back to all of their memorable moments: the hilarious pranks on Dwight, goofing off in a supermarket, the office olympics, his teapot Christmas gift, the rooftop dinner, and many more moments that should have clued her into what she was really feeling.


What if things were different? What if I was single now?
Pam, it’s too late. We can’t just go back to the way things were.
Why not?
We just …can’t.
Do you really love her?

Do you really love him?

 

It wasn’t the easiest question for her to answer. He certainly wasn’t the ideal boyfriend, but he had been very understanding. He knew more than anyone else about Pam's awkward relationship with Jim. It didn't upset him, though. Jim was getting married, and all the drama would finally be over. Then they could get on with their own wedding, and it would be Jim who would have to deal with it.


I’ll be there, but it won’t be easy.

Not for either of us, I’d imagine.

I’m sorry, Jim.

What for?

For waiting too long.

 

Pam's face finally lit up when she saw her fiancé’s car pull up. He was finally here to take her to Jim’s wedding. And she didn't care what stupid joke or annoying comment he would make this time. She just wanted him to hold her, and tell her everything would be okay. If there was only one thing in the world that he could manage to do right, it was that.

 

“Did you talk to Jimbo?” Michael asked.

 

“Not since he told me about the wedding.”

 

“You probably should. I know it isn’t easy, but it would be good way to get it off your chest.” He valiantly suppressed a smirk.

 

“I don’t think that would be a good idea. It would probably just make things harder.”

 

“That’s what she…”

 

“Not now, please.” Tears were welling up in Pam’s eyes.

 

“Sorry. Is there something I can do?” He seemed genuinely concerned for her.

 

"Please just hold me." And he did.

Chapter End Notes:
This story was inspired by the episodes Grief Counseling, Diwali, and Business School.


larrymcg is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Jim's Wedding also liked 33 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans