- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
The blanket was soft underneath her fingers, worn blue cotton fuzzy from years and years of use and washings. She ran her nails along the surface, smiling as they caught on the fabric. Slowly, she turned her head towards the night sky, an expanse of stars unlike anything she'd seen in Scranton filling her vision.

"Do you ever wonder how small we must be?"

He's feeling philosophical, she thought, and turned her head to face him. "Sometimes. Why?"

"I just..." He paused and licked his lips. "I remember always wondering what the point of humanity is in the face of everything."

"Well, there's always the theory that this is just a dream." She gestured with a hand widely at the vastness before them.

"You would say that." He turned on his side and faced her. "Seriously, though. We're so...tiny. Not even dots. Pixels. Less than that."

She looked at him, then turned back to the night sky. "I don't know. Maybe that's the point? To be grateful for our existence?"

She felt his shoulder brush hers before the weight of him settled on top of her. "You really think so?"

She held his gaze for a long moment. "Yeah. I do."

He kissed her softly, so softly so as to be not there. He shifted his weight off of her and lay on his back beside her once more.

A shooting star passed by overhead, and she quietly takes his hand in hers.
Chapter End Notes:
[1] Originally published 17 May 2007.


kasuchi is the author of 11 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans