- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I blame this story on the song Wild Horses. I was all set to write some Jam smut, but this song stuck a Roy story in my head. It is pretty short, but I just had to get it out there. I promise my next story will be more fun and silly!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted I bought them for you
Graceless lady you know who I am
You know I can't let you slide through my hands
Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild wild horses couldn't drag me away.”

Wild Horses, The Rolling Stones

 

I don’t understand. You say you want time. How could you say that when you spent years giving me longing looks whenever we received news that yet another friend or relative set a wedding date or was expecting a child? You probably thought I never noticed, but I did. I never had the heart to tell you we were not ready to make that leap, because you looked so disappointed to have someone yet again beat you to the altar. Don’t you want your turn in church anymore?

I don’t understand. You were so excited when I finally proposed on Christmas Eve all those years ago. I still remember your face, shining in the tree lights, when you said this was everything you dreamed of. Your eyes twinkled as you ran to the kitchen to tell your mother. Your father put his hand on my shoulder, and said, “You’ve done good, son.” Don’t you remember how excited you were to show off your ring to everyone we knew?

I don’t understand. I gave you everything you could want, and you say you need to think. We have a nice apartment, and a new truck. We have good jobs, and free evenings to hang out at Poor Richards’ or watch TV. We spend our weekends at the lake with my family. We have a nice life. What is there to think about?

I don’t understand. You had been asking me to pick a date, and I did. I announced it on the boat in front of the whole office to let them all know how important you were to me. I still remember you running to me, and putting your arms around my neck. We spent that night slow dancing like we used to do when we first started dating. What changed since that night?

I don’t understand. You are planning the wedding you have wanted for so long, and everything is being done exactly as you want. I have been trying to stay out of it as much as possible, because I know weddings are girl things. Why is it all of a sudden that you are not even sure you want this perfect day?

I don’t understand. I can’t let you go like this. I have done everything a fiancé should do to make his girl happy. I have provided as I should have. I have always been there for you and your family. I have never cheated or lied to you. Why would you want to walk away from this?

I don’t understand. You should want to stay. You should want to marry me. You shouldn’t be talking of fancy art classes or new jobs or trips to faraway countries. Well, you can dream about those things, but this is not what your life is about. Real life is what we have built here together over the last 10 years. How can you change the rules so late in the game?

I don’t understand. Wild horses couldn’t drag me away from you. Why is it that fickle dreams can pull you away from me?



Morning Angel is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Wild Horses also liked 65 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans