- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This takes place the week after The Job, when Jim and Pam are trying to keep their relationship secret to spare Karen's feelings.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Pam went back to the breakroom to get a drink from the vending machine, only to find Kelly a weepy mess, sitting alone at one of the tables.

"I can't believe he dumped me!" she sobbed.

Pam sighed and sat beside her, patting her shoulder in a half-hearted attempt to comfort her. It had been like this all week, with Kelly alternating between crying and fighting with Ryan as he prepared to leave to start his new job at corporate.

"It's okay," Pam said, "you are so much better off without him."

"That's easy for you to say! You are perfectly happy to just be alone the rest of your life and die an old maid!"

Normally Pam would have been moderately insulted, but this time she just laughed. She couldn't help it. She was busting with happiness lately and Kelly's comment made her giggle. Kelly looked up at her, her cheeks streaming with mascara. "What are you so happy about?" she demanded.

Pam's smile disappeared. "Oh, nothing."

"Wait a minute, do you have a boyfriend now?"

Pam looked away, mumbled, "Um, I should get back to work," and attempted to stand up, but Kelly grabbed her arm and made her sit back down.

"Oh my God, Pam, you have to tell me!"

Pam hesitated. "There's nothing to tell."

"You are totally lying! I thought we were friends." Kelly started sobbing again.

"Hey, look, I don't..."

"Wait a minute. You and Jim have been really chummy lately. It's Jim, isn't it? Is that why he broke up with Karen? Come on, Pam, tell me!"

Pam again avoided eye contact and felt her cheeks burning. She wasn't supposed to tell anyone. They had decided to keep things quiet out of respect for Karen, just until Karen's transfer went through in a week or so.

Just then Ryan walked in the breakroom, saw Kelly, and walked out. She glared after him. "Bastard," she muttered. Pam was grateful for the distraction and tried again to make her exit.

"Wait a minute, you are not going anywhere!"

"Look, Kelly, I really can't talk about it right now..." Pam began.

"Oh my God! You slept with him already, didn't you?"

Pam's mouth dropped open and she stared at Kelly, initially unable to formulate a response. Then she said, "Um, no... I mean no, of course not. We haven't even been dating a week... I..."

"So you ARE dating him?" Kelly squealed, jumping out of her seat and giving Pam a hug. "I am like, so happy for you guys. That is totally awesome!"

"Kelly, please," Pam said, dropping her voice to whisper, "we kind of don't want anyone to know just yet."

"I won't tell a soul! You can trust me, Pam." She leaned closer and whispered, "So how was it... you know, your first time? Did he cry? He totally seems like the type that would cry. Sometimes Ryan would cry..."

"Oh my God, Kelly, I am not talking about this with you!" Pam was mortified. "Just, please don't tell anyone. Promise me?"

"So he did cry then?" Kelly asked, ignoring Pam's request.

"I... no... no, he didn't cry..."

"So you did do it with him then? Oh my God, this totally makes up for Ryan dumping me! Okay, not really, but it's such great news! What does Karen think?" Kelly was holding Pam's hands at this point, still jumping up and down.

Pam looked around quickly. "Kelly, please! Shhhh!"

"Oh, don't worry, I won't tell. I am just so happy for you guys! It's just like My Best Friend's Wedding, only if Julia Roberts hadn't lost to Cameron Diaz." She then made a high-pitched squeeling noise and hugged Pam again.

A few minutes later, Pam was back at her desk, nervously praying that Kelly would keep her mouth shut. Jim was not at his desk, and she wanted to warn him that Kelly was onto them. Jim, however, was intercepted by Kelly as he came out of the men's room.

"Oh my God, Jim! I am totally happy for you!" She swung her arms around him.

"Um... for what, exactly?" he asked, bracing himself for her answer.

"For you and Pam, silly! Don't worry, I won't tell. Your secret is safe with me. I think it's totally romantic that you two ended up together." She paused, and whispered in his ear, "It's totally okay to cry afterward, you know. It's really adorable, actually."

With that she pranced out of the kitchen, leaving Jim standing there speechless. He slowly walked back to the main office and to Pam's desk.

"Um, Kelly just - "

"I know, I know... I am so sorry," she whispered as low as she could while she pretended to give him a message.

"Did you tell her that I... cried?" he asked, looking around to make sure no one was listening.

"Oh my God, no!" Pam said, a little louder than she had intended, then quickly added "I mean, shoot, I must have thrown out your message by accident."

They were both quiet for a second as they noticed everyone looking over at them, and then he said very softly, "That's okay. I guess they'll call back." As he walked back to his desk he mouthed, "Later." She nodded, and put her head in her hands, unsure of whether to die of embarrassment or laugh hysterically.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans