- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

Disclaimer: Don't own a thing 

Author's Chapter Notes:
If Jim had stayed in NY with Karen...

"Jim!"

 

He was straightening his tie for the umpteenth time in the large mirror above the dresser.  Behind him, the New York skyline was glowing through the large windows.

 

Thirty-five years old.  Here he was, almost half-way through his life.  He couldn't be sure if this was the life he'd pictured for himself ten or so years ago, but he had adjusted well.

 

Jim and Karen had been living in New York for more than five years now.  He was still at Dunder-Mifflin, spiffy office and all.  Karen had gotten a job for a real estate company; they were doing pretty well for themselves.  They had a swanky penthouse apartment together, spending their weekends at fancy parties and their summers in Europe or some exotic island.

 

He was beginning to see what being an adult was all about.  Sure, sometimes he missed watching cartoons in his sweatpants on a Saturday night and eating dinner at Chili's.  He went to basketball games and sat in a private box instead of sandwiched between two strangers and drinking eight dollar beer out of a souvenir cup.  But he wouldn't complain.  This was the life that everyone wanted.

 

She appeared in the doorway in her party dress that he was positive had cost them a fortune.  "The car is downstairs, so can you hurry up a bit?"

 

This was the kind of lifestyle Karen was born for.  Under the lights of hotel ballrooms she glowed.  Every fancy party dress and tailored pantsuit fit her perfectly.  Seeing her so happy and in her element was all that got him through that first year. 

 

He went to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, "Can't we tell the car to leave? I just want to stay here," he growled seductively.

 

She squirmed a bit, "No, come on.  We have to go."

 

"Karen," he whined, "It's my birthday."

 

She sighed, "I know.  But this fundraiser is really important." She rubbed his shoulders. "My boss expects me to be there.  I need to talk to some clients.  We need to at least make an appearance, schmooze a little." She whispered in his ear, "And then we will come back here and we can celebrate all you want."

 

"Any way I want?" he raised his eyebrows.

 

"I dunno, let's see how drunk I can get."  She playfully smacked him with her clutch.  "I'll be down in the car, hurry please."

 

He watched his gorgeous new wife rush out of the room and quickly surveyed his appearance in the mirror.  A man in a two-thousand dollar tux stared back at him.

 

Yeah, being an adult wasn't so bad.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I see their apartment as something like <url="http://www.storesonline.com/members/534303/uploaded/apt.jpg">this</url>

and yes, I realize that makes Jim and Karen ungodly rich.

<url="http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/image/BLM/products/0/optimized/118770_fpx.tif?wid=200&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg">Karen's Dress</url> 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans