- Text Size +

He tried but couldn’t.  Sleep just wasn’t going to happen tonight.  He reached underneath his bed and pulled out his laptop.  Prying the computer open, Jim proceeded to write.
*****
Hey

You may be asking why am I sending you this email instead of calling.  Well my answer would be that its 3:11AM.  Even though you were nice enough to say yes to me when I asked, I would hate to see the Beesly wrath if I were to wake you up in the middle of the night because I couldn’t sleep.

I had fun tonight.  Duh right?  Sitting here in the warm glow of my ten-dollar desk lamp, it feels like I have woken up from a long dream.  A dream of you.  I mean one minute I am sitting in Wallace’s office interviewing for a job that will change my life and all I could think about was your feet.  Seriously.  Your brave, burned feet.  When Wallace asked me where I wanted to be in ten years, all I could think of was being with you.  I know that would sound more romantic in person, but I need to get this out (that’s what she said.).  (Sorry.)

Anyway, back to tonight.  Or last night.  Or our first date.  Or our second.  However you want to label it.  Part of me is happy beyond any words I could write here.  Another part is sad...sad that I wasted all of this time.  I mean it has been what a year since...well you know.  When I was driving over to your place I kept telling myself to just act normal.  Over and over.  Then I thought what is normal?  Is it me pretending not to care that you still leave me voicemails on my phone telling me about your day even though I never return them?  Or is it that I purposely stopped drinking grape soda just to make you wonder why I stopped drinking grape soda?  God I’m sorry Pam.  For a lot of things.

OK rambling now.  I’m going to go try to get an hour or two of sleep before work.  Check on me tomorrow from time to time to see if I’m still breathing.  One last thing - I will need your help...I found like a thousand of these fake dollars with Dwight’s face on them.  A plan must be made should you choose to accept it.  

Goodnight Pam.

Jim
*****        
He surfed the net, not really paying attention to what was popping up on the sites he normally visited.  Just as he was about to fold the laptop screen down, he got the familiar ding of a new waiting email.  It was from her.
*****
Hi

Believe it or not I couldn’t sleep either.  As far as my wrath, calling me is not a way to incur it.  However, it’s always best to be on the safe side.  No more Mr. Nice guy...err Miss Nice Girl....never mind.

I had fun tonight too.  It’s funny.  I dreamed about how our first date would go (and yes that was our first date...remember swaying isn’t dancing Halpert) and it didn’t even compare to last night.  It wasn’t because of the place (which was great) or the food (which was good).  It was because you asked me.

I know we have tons of things to work through...that night a year ago being one of them.  Yes its sad for me too that we let a year slip by between us.  But you know what Jim?  You are back and that is all I need.  Everything else can be fixed....as long as you are here to fix it with me.  It will be hard and will take a long time (now that is what SHE said!!! sorry its like a virus) but we will get through.

Goodnight Jim...I will see you in about oh 4 hours.  Those things are called Schrute-bucks by the way...I will explain later.

Pam
*****
After reading her message, he was finally able to relax.  Just when sleep was about to overtake him, the cell on his nightstand started to vibrate.  He answered and heard something-a brief, quiet declaration-that stung his eyes and burst his heart.

There was only one reply that he could manage to breathe out.

“I love you too.”


   

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer:  nothing owned.


realitycheck is the author of 12 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 7 members. Members who liked Late Night Email also liked 2844 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans