- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This was written as part of the "All Office, All Imaginable Unconventional Pairings" challenge at Office Romances .

A tiny Dundie for Zarahemla, who first envisioned Gil as the drinker of Rose Kennedys and the solver of straight boys’ problems in A Series of Unfortunate Come-Ons.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

They find themselves side-by-side at the “bar” on Casino Night, Jim drinking a whisky and soda, Gil a Rose Kennedy. Gil can’t stop looking at Jim’s hair, can’t stop wondering about it. Was it on purpose? It works, but Gil is curious about the level of deliberation involved.

After a reintroduction – Jim remembers the time he met Gil in the parking lot a month or so ago– the two of them compare their winnings. Gil has a respectable pile of chips, but Jim opens his hands wide and flat, and then lifts his chin to a pretty girl nearby. “I thought she was bluffing,” he smiles, not seeming to mind the loss.

Gil steals another look at Jim – really, the mussed up fringe on his forehead was irresistible – before turning to the girl in blue. She’s standing next to a big guy; he’s a little heavy, but carries it well. His smile reveals dimples. Jim turns back to play with his straw. Gil knows about the situation with these three – Oscar has filled him in – but he would have known anyways.

“Pretty,” comments Gil.

“Engaged,” replies Jim.

Gil chooses his words carefully; he’s not going to have that fight with Oscar again. “You know, the person I’m with now was with someone else when we first met. But I knew the relationship wouldn’t work out."

The girl laughs, and again Jim turns to her. He doesn’t pretend to misinterpret why Gil is sharing this information with him.

“Yeah, well, they seem happy.”

Gil’s eyes rise and his right hand drifts up to swipe at Jim’s hair, but he remembers himself and captures his right hand with his left.

“People aren’t always what they seem.”



ElizabethLynn is the author of 11 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans