- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So BeckySue & I have been dying to work together and finally got our act together.  But have no fear, we have not abandoned our other works!  And as cool as we may be, we don't own anything from the Office or NBC.  The italics represent Talking Head interviews.  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

"Hey Jim, can I talk to you about something important? Um, in my office?" Michael gestured for Jim to come into his office. Jim glanced at Pam and felt like he’s walked this dreaded path before and it’s never ended well. With this thought, he walked into Michael’s office and shut the door.

"I have an important job for you..." Michael started.

Familiar phrases like "Oh no, not again" and "how am I going to get out of this, this time" wandered through Jim’s head as Michael laid out his plan.

"You and I will be throwing… .are you ready for this?....the 7/7/07 party...the most important day of the year...no, century! It happens every decade! I mean this party has got to be the biggest bash of the year!"

Jim’s eyebrows shot up and he listened intently as Michael continued, "So since 7/7/07 is such a big part of our nation’s past, I thought it’d be only appropriate to throw a party in it’s honor."


You know, it's a miracle really... that I even thought about having a 7/7/07 party. My calendar just fell open one day. Like, God was putting this juicy nugget of thought into my brain. And, once I was receptive enough to figure out what he was telling me, I knew...from then on...that it was my destiny to celebrate 7/7/07. It's just....His will...for me. And, I will answer that...will...with this party." Michael said, as his eyes glistened with emotion.


Sitting in the stark conference room, Pam shared her concern for Michael's mischief. "Michael’s been locked in his office all day. Staring at his computer screen… whatever he’s doing, it can’t be good. Last time this happened, we had a seminar on the proper ways to avoid getting caught uploading pornography to your computer. His three step program seemed legit.

"The last seminar we had was…great," Kevin said, as he tried to cover his snickering. "I hope we have another one."


"What is this party even for?" Jim asked Michael.

"It’s about our nations…. love…You know what, Jim, that’s not what’s important. The important thing is that I need you for this job and I need to know if you’re on board with me."

"Wow." Jim said. "That sounds awesome but... I think I’m going to have to pass.... to someone who has more experience with party planning. I mean, you don’t want to hear about the last time I threw a party. But, you know who I’ve heard throws some awesome parties?"


"I just don’t want to plan a party. Why not have Dwight do it? I mean, he could come up with more interesting parties I’m sure." Jim said into the camera, with an uninterested look upon his face.


"Oh, Okay." Michael said as his face began to scrunch up, obviously upset that Jim didn’t want to help out with the party. "God, I'm stuck with Dwight then. Yuck.… it’ll probably end up being some lame King of the Rings party or something"

With a loud sigh, Jim exited the office and went back to his desk. He turned his head to the right and saw Pam staring with a questioning look on her face as if to say "What the hell just happened? Tell me!"

He got up from his desk and went over to her and stood behind her and excitedly grabbed her hand. He leaned over and whispered into her ear, "Top secret mission, Beesley, all will be revealed in due time."

"Ohhhhhh" Pam scowled at him. "That’s just mean!" she said, shaking her head.

He shrugged. "It’s part of the life of a secret agent," Jim deadpanned.

She turned in her chair and leaned closer to Jim, but not too close to arouse suspicion from her coworkers. "Well, tell me, can secret agents have secret girlfriends?"

His lips turned up in a slight smile as he replied "Absolutely, they can."


Michael finally had torn himself away from the computer and sauntered into the main office. He looked around and realized no one had acknowledged his grand entrance and went back into his office. He walked out again and raised his hands and announced "Attention to one and all! It is once again time for the historical event of the year that happens once every decade and I need my gals in the PPC to immediately start working"

"What historic event, Michael? The Fourth of July was yesterday." Dwight said from his desk.

"What’s the PPC? You mean, PVC. As in the pipe..." Phyllis wondered out loud, knowing full well she might not get a response back from Michael.

Michael shakes his head angrily. "God, you know, the party planning committee? It’s abbreviated to save time! This event is a secret and having secrets means never having to tell them...until the right time," Micheal said, under his breath. "Okay, after that annoying interruption, please start planning now! We only have a few days people! Lots to do, lots to do! And ….. go." He clapped his hands and closed the door as he walked into his office.

As soon as Michael had fled from the office, Angela cleared her throat and stepped out of her corner. "Attention Party Planning Committee: we will be meeting in the conference room in 5 minutes. Please show discretion and be on time unlike... some people last time." Angela pointedly glared at Pam. Pam glared back as she turned back towards her computer screen.


Relunctantly, Phyllis, Meredith, Angela, and Pam sat down at the large conference room table with their planning supplies in tow.

"What exactly are we even planning this party for? I mean we don’t even know what the "historic" holiday is!" Pam said as she pulled out her "party planning materials" which consisted of a sketchpad, colored pencils and a notepad (which was only used as a front in case Angela noticed her).

"We really can’t plan a party unless we know what it’s for. Maybe we should just forget about the meeting," Phyllis said, in hopes she could leave the meetings she so desperately hated.

"Fine, if no one else will ask him, then I will." Angela walked briskly to Michael’s office.

As Michael sat at his desk, flicking a rubber band at his Dundie, Angela spoke."Michael, how are we supposed to plan a party when we have no information about it? I need to have some concrete ideas so I can properly plan it."

"It’s a secret. I really can’t tell you-"

"Michael." Angela sternly looked at him.

"Fine, god, you’re as bad as my mother," he said, under his breath.

Angela shifted on her feet. "What?"


"Uh nothing- the party is actually for 7/7/07. You know the day that all the stars and moons align to form a perfect day for a party," he said, slapping his hands down on his desk with a smile.

"How are we supposed to decorate for a made up holiday? There isn’t even a theme!"

"I don’t know! You guys are the committee with all the powers! Use your powers and whip up something magical. Here are some of my ideas…" Angela took the paper he handed her and reported back to the conference room where all of the ladies were not-so-anxiously awaiting her return.

"So here’s the list of what Michael wants," Angela said, handing Pam the list of Michael’s demands and she read them outloud.

"Seven of everything! Seven boozes, fried bologna sandwiches, seven strippers, a petting zoo, some clowns, no Toby present, seven cakes – all in the likeness of me... What does that even mean? Seven cakes in the likeness of Michael?"


So Packer showed me this site where you can order cakes that are shaped to whatever you want. One time he sent me one for my birthday that was in the shape of my – um – uh – man parts if you will. It was great. I mean it wasn’t exactly sized proportionality, but still… it was great. I did feel a little weird watching him eat it, though," Michael said, clasping his hands in front of him.


"No one will eat cake with Michael's mug on it. That's disgusting..." Phyllis said, quietly.

"Okay, we obviously can’t use this list, so let’s just start off with the basics so we can start shopping and go from there," Pam rationed as she began writing down another list of supplies.

"Cups"

"Plates," Phyllis piped in.

"Napkins," Angela added.

"Oh, Jello shots," Meredith spouted off.

Everyone glanced at each other. Pam’s pen didn’t scribble down the last suggestion like it had the others.


Holding up her pen, "Sometimes my writing skills aren’t the best. I tend to forget to write things down sometimes," Pam said, shrugging.


Jim rotated his chair and looked at the meeting that was going on in the conference room. He watched Pam not even pretend to feign interest in what she writing down. But he knew by the look on her face that she was really sketching. While he had seen that look a lot of the time when they were at work, he never truly understood what she was doing that made her do that. But it was only after they had started dating that he learned that sketching and drawing did that to her face. He had seen that look of concentration, with her lip tucked between her teeth and the way she blew the piece of hair that kept falling into her face away.

Jim’s memories of Michael’s other "big bashes" flashed through his mind. Although he can only think of the good things that came from these parties: shopping with Pam, ice skating, standing close behind her while happily explaining that Dwight was downstairs trapped in a box. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to help out with the party. Plus he could get by doing even less work than usual.

"Jim."

Dwight’s voice ripped Jim out of his daydream. The pencil he had been absentmindedly playing with snapped in half.

"Jim, Jim, Jim. As much as it pains me to ask you this, I have no other options," he said, then leaning forward and whispering. "We need to find out what this party Michael is planning is for."

"I already know what it’s about," Jim said, carelessly.

"You’re lying."

"No, I’m not. Michael asked me to lead the party planning and told me to pick up some person named... JK Rowling at the airport. Not sure who that is but... he must be important."

"She, Jim. You don’t know who JK Rowling is?"

"Nope."

"She’s only the writer of the best selling Harry Potter series. Oh my gosh. She’s coming… here?" Dwight asked, his eyes growing large.

"Apparently," Jim said, shrugging and feigning focus on a sheet of paper in front of him.

"I need to plan this party – you are obviously not committed enough to through a party worthy of JK Rowling’s stature."

"Okay, Dwight... but I already told M-"

Before Jim could finish teasing Dwight, he practically sprinted towards Michael's office.

"Michael you must put me in charge of this secret party. Jim is not worthy of planning such an event."

"God, Dwight, Jim is more qualified than you are. But he did turn it down and I don’t have time to plan it myself. So..fine... I’ll tell you about it-"

"No need, Jim already filled me on the details." Dwight said, sitting down in the chair in front of Michael's desk.

"He did? Well, I guess I would like to offer-"

"Uh, Michael?" Dwight spun around at these words.

Jim walked in and interrupted Michael "So, I’ve thought about your offer and decided to help you out afterall. The old two-some working together again. Like, old times, huh?" Jim said, cheesily.

Michael gave a creepy grin as he glared up at Jim. Although Jim felt uncomfortable for accepting such an offer, he couldn't help but feel pure satisfaction from the crestfallen look plaguing Dwight's face.

Michael broke his trance from Jim and dismissed Dwight. "Nevermind, Dwight. Jim's reconsidered...." he said, waving his hand in the air.

As Dwight stood slowly from the chair, he made very little eye contact with Jim and passed him quickly. Dwight found his seat and engrossed himself in his work as Jim concocted more schemes in his head for the days to follow.

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans