- Text Size +
Story Notes:

My first attempt at any fanfic ever.  Please be kind.  I'm new!

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

She never imagined this….

 

She knew she was excited for him to return.  After all, he had been her best friend.  She missed the pranks; the sight of a single package of Jello at the super market still made her giddy. 

 

His desk seemed lonely.  The pictures, the PSP, the rubber band ball, and his cup of coffee… they were gone.  And even though someone else had taken his desk, it was never filled with personal affects again.  The only thing that remained was the cup of coffee, but it wasn’t in his favorite mug anymore.  It just felt hollow when, out of habit, she would look up from reception to catch his attention and fail to see him.  After weeks of looking up and seeing the wrong face, she broke her habit without even realizing it.

 

The news of his return was more than welcome.  Weeks of preparing for her best friend to arrive went into full affect.  She planned new pranks they would be able to pull together.  She even started on a long term, very intricate prank concerning his arch nemesis of the office, the FBI, and a final mission, which was of her best friends choosing.  How could that not be the best Christmas gift he'd ever received?  It was the perfect gift, and it was typical of Them.

 

The years of having fun together had come to an abrupt end.  He felt too much for her and confessed his love.   She was engaged and was terrified of what his confession meant to their friendship she treasured.  He was bold and acted on his love for her.  She reciprocated, but in the end realized this could never be. Her fiancé and her want for everything to stay the same would never let her realize their potential nor what was underneath, what she kept hidden from everyone including herself. 

 

But she never managed to imagine this….

 

He came through the door and she never felt as excited as she did in that moment.  His failed attempt at a joke didn’t even matter to her.  She had her friend back.  They could jump back into the role of best friends they once had before.  Before the awkwardness and the move away.

 

It felt perfect to sit next to him at a meeting again.  Her amused reactions to her boss’ ridiculous meetings were lost on the other employees.  Having him back, along with his sense of humor which was so similar to hers, the meetings of this day and all the days to come no longer seemed like burdens to her.  More like comedy hours.

 

But she definitely didn’t imagine this….

 

It wasn’t until they were in the parking lot was it so clear.  The new girl walked with him, her hand rubbing his back, as they went back into the office.  The panic, the heartbreak, the terror, it all hit in one blow… nothing was right.

 

She had been wrong all along.  Denying her feelings was so easy to do and she hadn’t even realized she had done it.  She repressed her obvious need to be with him for so long that she had been able to make herself believe those feelings didn’t exist.  Her best friend had been right all along.  He was right. He put himself on the line, and she said no. 

 

It seems so obvious now.  She was disappointed in her lack of valentine gift from him.  Her need to trade her IPod for his well thought out gift he created for her last Christmas.  The way she felt when she saw him with their co-workers children on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day.  The way she didn’t stop him, instead fell into his kiss.

 

When she came to work that day, she never imagined she would realize she loved her best friend….

  

But she did.

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Yikes.  So be kind, but critiques are welcome.  Hope my first try didn't totally suck!


AbsolutelyIWill is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked She Never Imagined This... also liked 1048 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans